Lighthouses of Central Chile

Chile has one of the world's longest and most dangerous coastlines, more than 4000 km (2500 mi) long with at least 5000 rocky islands. To guard this coast, the Chilean Navy operated for many years one of the world's most active and most distinguished lighthouse services, the Chilean Maritime Signaling Service (Servicio de Señalización Marítima). This organization seems to have disappeared in a recent reorganization of the Navy, leaving the management of aids to navigation in the hands of the regional naval commands, one in each of the country's 15 regions.

This page includes lighthouses of the central and most populous portion of the country, extending from the Los Lagos region in the south to the Valparaíso region in the north. The Northern Chile and Southern Chile pages have lighthouses outside this central region.

Many of the historic lighthouses of Chile are the work of George Slight (1859-1934), a Scottish engineer who moved to Chile in the 1890s and eventually became the head of the Chilean Maritime Signaling Service. In all, he designed and supervised the construction of more than 70 lighthouses.

Chile is divided into 15 regions (regiónes). The Spanish word for a lighthouse is faro. In Spain, the word faro is usually applied only to the larger coastal lights, but in South America it is often used for all fixed lights, including towers too small to be considered lighthouses.

Additional information is needed for most of these lighthouses, and recent photos would be especially welcome.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume G of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 111. The Chilean light list, Lista de Faros de la Costa de Chile, is not available online.

General Sources
Faros de Chile
Index to articles in the Spanish language Wikipedia.
Online List of Lights - Chile
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. Many of the photos are by Carlos María Silvano.
Faros y Balizas de Chile
Flickr.com group pool, with more than 200 photos of Chilean lighthouses.
Lighthouses in Chile
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Chile
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Leuchttürme Südamerikas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Punta Ángeles Light
Punta Ángeles Light, Valparaíso, May 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Nick Herber

Los Lagos Region Lighthouses

Note: The Los Lagos Region is at the northern end of Chile's Patagonian fjord district. Its capital, Puerto Montt, is connected by major highways to the populated central part of the country. A prominent feature of the region is the large Isla de Chiloé, which separates the Pacific from the Gulfs of Corcovado and Ancud.
Golfo Corcovado Lighthouses
Note: The Golfo Corcovado is a broad sound between the mainland and the southern half of the Isla de Chiloé.
Isla Guafo
1907 (George Slight). Active; focal plane 144 m (472 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) round steel tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a concrete base. Lighthouse painted white with a red horizontal band; lantern roof is also red. The modern 1-story keeper's house staffed by rotating 4-man crews who serve 4 months on station. One of Adam and Cheryl Zaricki's photos is at right, Wikimedia has a photo, Manuel Arcaya has an aerial photo and a view from below the lighthouse, and Google has a good satellite view of the station. The original 2-story keeper's house was destroyed by an intense storm in 1973. Isla Guafo is southwest of the Isla de Chiloé in the center of the entrance to the Golfo Corcovado. Located at the northwestern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-021; Admiralty G1592; NGA 111-1888.
Isla Laitec
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, colored white with one narrow red horizontal band. No photo available, but the tip of the tower is seen in Google's satellite view. Located at the south end of an island off the southeastern coast of the Isla de Chiloé. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1596; NGA 111-1880.
Punta Centinela (Isla Tranqui)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); three white flashes every 9 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, colored white with one narrow red horizontal band. No photo available, but the tip of the tower is seen in Google's satellite view. Located at the east end of Isla Tranqui, which projects into the northwestern Golfo Corcovado. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1606; NGA 111-1852.
Punta Chomio (Queilén)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); four white flashes every 12 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, colored white with one narrow red horizontal band. Trabas has Carlos Maria Silvano's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the east coast of the Isla de Chiloé about 1.6 km (1 mi) northeast of Queilén. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1610; NGA 111-1836.
Isla Imelev
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 52 m (170 ft); flash every 6 s, white or red depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, colored white with one narrow red horizontal band. A very distant view is available (light at extreme left), and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island northwest of Isla Chaulinec, at the north end of the Golfo Corcovado. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1624; NGA 111-1800.

Isla Guafo Light, December 2003
photo copyright Adam and Cheryl Zaricki
used by permission
Punta Manzano (Isla Chaulinec)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7.5 m (25 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, colored white with one narrow red horizontal band. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located near the southeastern point of Isla Chaulinec. This light marks the southern entrance to the Canal Apiao, which leads through a group of islands between the Gulfs of Corcovado and Ancud. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1624; NGA 111-1804.

Golfo de Ancud and Seno Reloncaví Lighthouses
Note: The Golfo de Ancud is a broad sound northeast of the Isla de Chiloé, connected to the Pacific to the west by the Canal de Chacao and to the Golfo Corcovado to the south by the Canal Apaio. The Seno de Reloncaví is a second sound extending north from the Golfo de Ancud to the city of Puerto Montt.
* Punta Chulao (Ayacara)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with a red horizontal band. A 2010 closeup photo is available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a promontory of the mainland at the southern entrance to the Golfo de Ancud from the straits separating the Isla de Chiloé from the mainland. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-066; Admiralty G1656; NGA 111-1676.
Banco San José
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); three red flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 14 s. 15 m (49 ft) triangular skeletal tower, painted red with a green horizontal band. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a dangerous reef in the center of the entrance to the Seno Reloncaví, the sound leading to Puerto Montt. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G1693; NGA 111-1664.
Isla Queullin (Paso Queullin)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8.5 m (28 ft) concrete tower, painted white with a red band. A closeup photo is available, Larry Myhre has a distant view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the tip of a sand spit extending from the west side of Isla Queullin in the center of the entrance to the Seno Reloncaví. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-045; Admiralty G1692; NGA 111-1660.
Isla Tabón
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); white flash every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) concrete tower, painted white with a red band. Larry Myhre has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located near the west end of the island, which is at the northern end of the Golfo de Ancud. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-049; Admiralty G1684; NGA 111-1656.
Bajo Corvio (Paso Quigua)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); four white flashes every 12 s. 12 m (39 ft) fiberglass post light mounted on a square base. No photo available, but Bing has a good satellite view. Located on a sandbar northwest of Isla Tabón. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G1682; NGA 111-1592.

Canal de Chacao Lighthouses
Note: The Canal de Chacao (Chacao Channel) is the strait separating the north end of the Isla de Chiloé from the mainland. The strait leads the Golfo de Ancud, a large sound northeast of Chiloé. The strait narrows to a minimum width of about 2 km (1.25 mi).
Punta Tres Cruces (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, colored white with one narrow red horizontal band. Abandoned 1-story keeper's house and round iron oil house. Julio Carrillo has a photo of the station, Trabas has Carlos Maria Silvano's photo, a 2012 photo and a view from the sea are available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located atop a bluff at the northeastern tip of the Isla de Chiloé, marking the south side of the entrance to the Canal de Chacao. Site and tower closed (Navy property) but the light can be seen from the end of highway 129. ARLHS CHI-115; Admiralty G1666; NGA 111-1588.
Punta Barranco
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 12 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, colored white with one narrow red horizontal band. Trabas has Carlos Maria Silvano's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a bluff on the north side of the Channel about 3 km (2 mi) west of Pargua. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1670; NGA 111-1576.
Isla de Doña Sebastiana (Range Rear)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) round fiberglass tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Alex Haro Brintrup has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The range guides vessels leaving the Chacao Channel (Canal de Chacao). Located at the southwestern point of the island, on the north side of the Channel. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1672.1; NGA 111-1548.
** Punta Corona
1859 (Enrique Siemen). Active; focal plane 66 m (216 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with a single red band below the gallery; the lantern roof is also red. Keeper's house staffed. A photo is at right, Marcelo Muñoz Alvarado has a 2011 photo, Juan Sebastian Dominguez has a 2008 photo, Trabas has Carlos Maria Silvano's photo of the station, a wider view of the station is available, and Google has a satellite view. This is the oldest active lighthouse in Chile, although it appears to have been modernized. The lighthouse is at the northern end of the Isla Grande de Chiloé, marking the entrance to Ancud. Accessible by road. Site open, and the station crew will sometimes conduct tours of the tower. ARLHS CHI-013; Admiralty G1676; NGA 111-1552.

Punta Corona Light, Isla Chiloé, February 2010
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by manuel1978

Lago Llanquihue Lighthouse
Note: Lago Llanquihue, Chile's second largest lake, is a natural lake located in the Los Lagos Region. The lake has an elevation of 70 m (230 ft) above sea level.
* Cofradía Náutica Frutillar
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) round wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Trabas has Carlos Maria Silvano's photo, José Pedro Martínez has a photo, Marcelo Reston has a second photo, Lightphotos.net has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. The design of the lighthouse was inspired by the famous Brant Point Light in Nantucket, Massachusetts. Located at a small marina on the west shore of the lake just south of Frutillar. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Cofradía Náutica Frutillar. ARLHS CHI-102; Admiralty G1703.9.

Los Ríos Region (Valdivia Area) Lighthouses

[Punta Galera (2?)]
Date unknown (station established 1876). Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); white flash every 12 s. 4 m (13 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower colored white with a red horizontal band. A photo is available, ARLHS has the same photo, and Google has a satellite view. Despite its small size, this is an important light. The original lighthouse was a round brick tower 20 m (66 ft) tall; its fate is not known. Located on a prominent cape about 40 km (25 mi) southwest of Niebla in the Nature Conservancy's Valdivian Coastal Reserve. Quite remote, but accessible by hiking trails and perhaps by ATV. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-018; Admiralty G1724; NGA 1536.
Morro Gonzalo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 5 s. 4 m (13 ft) concrete post attached to a square 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Amateur radio operators have a photo (bottom of the page), and Google has a satellite view. Located on a spectacular headland on the west side of the entrance to the Bahía Corral. Very remote. Site status unknown.ARLHS CHI-108; Admiralty G1726; NGA 1532.
* Morro Niebla (2)
1900 (station established 1860). Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower, painted white with one red horizontal band. Marcos Escalier's photo is at right, another photo is available, Ignacio Platero has a more distant view, Wikimedia has several photos, Trabas has Silvano's photo, and Google has a satellite view and Luis Romero's street view. This is Chile's third oldest light station, established to guide ships into the Bahía Corral, the harbor serving the inland city of Valdivia. Huelse has a postcard view of the original lighthouse, a shorter cast iron tower. Located in a historic fort atop a bluff on the east side of the entrance to the bay near Niebla, about 35 km (22 mi) west of Valdivia. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-060; Admiralty G1728; NGA 1504.
[Morro Bonifacio]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 10 s. 4 m (13 ft) rectangular concete equipment shelter, painted white with a red horizontal band. ARLHS has a photo, and the small light is barely visible in Google's satellite view. Located atop a prominent cape about 35 km (21 mi) north of the Morro Niebla lighthouse. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-103; Admiralty G1744; NGA 1500.

Morro Niebla Light, Niebla, February 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Marcos Escalier

Biobío Region (Concepción Area) Lighthouses

Isla de Mocha Lighthouse
* Mocha Oeste (Isla Mocha, Morro de las Torrecillas)
1896. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 15 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a single red band at the base; the lantern is gray metallic. Jose Francisco Hurtado has a fine 2008 photo, another 2008 photo is available, Horacio Parrague has a 2013 photo, Wikimedia has Carolina Merino León's photo and a 2012 closeup, and Google has Gabriel Plaza's street view from the base of the lighthouse and an indistinct satellite view. The Isla Mocha is an oval-shaped island about 14 km (8.5 mi) long located 34 km (21 mi) west of Tirúa. About half the island is a nature reserve, and it has become a popular destination for ecotourists. There is regular air service from Conceptión and from Tirúa. The lighthouse stands on a rocky headland on the west side of Isla Mocha, accessible by hiking trails. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-024; Admiralty G1751; NGA 1490.

Lebu Area Lighthouses
* Punta Morguilla
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 10 s. 4 m (13 ft) round fiberglass tower, colored white with one red horizontal band. Roberto Quilodran has a photo, Enrique Neira has another photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a promontory near Morguilla. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G1756; NGA 1484.
Punta Tucapel (2?) (Lebu)
Date unknown (station established 1896). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white flash every 12 s. 4 m (13 ft) round fiberglass tower, colored white with one red horizontal band. Ruben Sanhueza has a photo, a very distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was on a "small white house." Located on the south side of the entrance to Río Lebu at Lebu. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-029; Admiralty G1758; NGA 1480.

Golfo de Arauco (Puerto Coronel Area) Lighthouses
* Punta Lavapié (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); white flash every 12 s. 4 m (13 ft) round fiberglass tower, colored white with one red horizontal band. Símon Alvaro Muñoz has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was described as a round iron tower with a red lantern. Located on a cape marking the southern entrance to the Golfo de Arauco. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G1762; NGA 1476.
Isla Santa María (2)
Date unknown (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, painted white with one red horizontal band. Huelse has a postcard view of the original lighthouse, a 14 m (46 ft) first-order tower rising from a 1-story keeper's house. The modern light stands amidst the ruins of the historic light station, as seen in a Google satellite view. Diego Ignacio Triviño has a closeup photo. The Isla Santa Maria is a roughly triangular island about 16 km (10mi) in diameter, located about 40 km (25 mi) west of Puerto Coronel. Located near the northern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-027; Admiralty G1764; NGA 1424.
* Punta Lutrin (Faro del Parque, Lota)
1894. Active; focal plane 49 m (160 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13.5 m (44 ft) octagonal cylindrical cast iron tower mounted on an octagonal base. Lighthouse painted white with a single red band below the gallery. A photo is at right, Nidia Valenzuela has another photo, Wikimedia has photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view in which the tower is mounted on an elaborate 1-story castellated stone base; this base has been replaced by a much simpler structure. The lighthouse is located in a lovely botanical garden, the Parque Isadora Cousiño de Lota. Punta Lutrin is just north of Lota, about 8 km (5 mi) south of Puerto Coronel. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Municipalidad de Lota. ARLHS CHI-071; Admiralty G1768; NGA 1452.
* Punta Puchoco (Puerto Coronel) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1897). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); one long (1.3 s) white flash every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) round fiberglass tower, colored white with one red horizontal band. José González Spaudo has a photo and a view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was described as an "iron column near a yellow house." Located on a cape sheltering the northern entrance to Puerto Coronel. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G1784; NGA 1432.

Punta Lutrin Light, Lota, February 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Sinfómano
Punta Hualpén (Gualpén) (2)
1984 (station established 1914). Active; focal plane approx. 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5 m (17 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower. The modern 1-story keeper's house is staffed. Cristian Correa has a photo, Juan Pablo Tolosa has a photo of the keeper's house, and Google has a satellite view of the light. The original cast iron lighthouse was near the keeper's house and had a focal plane of 33 m (108 ft). Located on the toe of a prominent cape about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of Concepción. Site status unknown (permission of the naval staff may be required); the light station is accessible by road. ARLHS CHI-070; Admiralty G1794; NGA 1420.

Bahía de Concepción Lighthouses
Punta Tumbes (2)
Date unknown (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); white flash every 5 s. 6.5 m (21 ft) round bottle-shaped tower, painted with red and white bands. Fog siren (three 3 s blasts every 30 s). A closeup photo is available, Cecilia Amigo has a view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Google also has a satellite view of the former station, which includes several keeper's houses and other buildings. The original lighthouse was a round metal tower with lantern and gallery. Located at the point, at the western entrance to the Bahía de Concepción, about 13 km (8 mi) north of Talcahuano and 30 km (19 mi) north of Concepción. Site status unknown. ARLHS CHI-099; Admiralty G1796; NGA 1408.
Banco Belén (Belen Shoal) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower, colored with black and yellow horizontal bands and mounted on a round concrete pier. José González Spaudo has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a shoal off Talcahuano in the Bahía de Concepción. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-035; Admiralty G1814; NGA 1396.
Isla Quiriquina (2)
1905 (station established 1869). Active; focal plane 90 m (295 ft); white flash every 10 s. 7 m (23 ft); lantern mounted on a short round cylindrical cast iron tower. Lighthouse painted with red and white bands. Fog siren (two blasts every 30 s). Keeper's house staffed. A Navy photo is at right, a closeup photo is available, Trabas has a distant view by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse replaced an older tower destroyed by an 1897 earthquake; it appears that it has been relocated several times. The island is the site of a Chilean Navy base and school. Visits to the island by the public are allowed, but reservations are required for transportation. Visiting the lighthouse requires a hike over rough terrain from the school. Located at the northern tip of the island, which lies in the entrance to the Bahía de Concepción. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-025; Admiralty G1798; NGA 1348.
Faro de Quiriquina
Isla Quiriquina Light, Concepción
photo by Servicio de Señalización Marítima

Maule Region Lighthouses

* Cabo Carranza (2)
2016 (station established 1895). Active; focal plane 52 m (171 ft); white flash every 10 s. The lighthouse, a 19 m (62 ft) square cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white bands. Keeper's house, staffed, and other light station buildings. Prefabricated in England by Chance Brothers, Ltd. A Navy photo is at right, Hugo Muñoz Iturra has a 2017 street view, and Google has a good satellite view. The new lighthouse strongly resembles the original but differs in details. Tomás Jorquera Sepúlveda has a photo, a closeup and a distant view of the old lighthouse, Trabas has Silvano's photo, and Wikimedia has another distant view. The lighthouse was dismantled in February 2016 and replaced with the new tower; the project was completed in October. The Navy has a page concerning the 2016 project. Located on Punta Santa Ana, which is at the mouth of the Río Loanco just north of the tip of the cape, about 65 km (40 mi) west of Talca. The station is accessible by an unpaved road, passable in good weather. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-005; Admiralty G1846; NGA 1336.
Trilco (Punta Cardonal)
Date unknown (2005?). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) hexagonal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Gonzalo Baeza has a closeup photo, an aerial view is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This appears to be a privately built light; it was listed in an Admiralty Notice to Mariners in late 2006. Located on a steep bluff about 25 km (15 mi) northwest of Vichuquén. Site status unknown. Admiralty G1848; NGA 1334.

O'Higgins Region Lighthouses

Punta Topocalma
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 118 m (387 ft); white flash every 10 s. 4 m (13 ft) round fiberglass tower, colored white with one red horizontal band. A photo and a closeup are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a mountainous cape about 40 km (25 mi) west of La Estrella. Accessible by a hiking trail. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-076; Admiralty G1850; NGA 1332.

Cabo Carranza Light, Niebla, October 2016
Chilean Navy photo
* Jardín del Lago
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 10 m (33 ft); white light, characteristic unknown. 8 m (26 ft) round stucco-clad tower with a small lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white. Lalo Guzman has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Lago Rapel is a large artificial lake in the northern part of the O'Higgins Region, built as part of a hydroelectric project. Located at a small marina on the north shore of the lake near Santa Inés. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Jardín del Lago Marina.

Valparaíso Region Lighthouses

San Antonio Area Lighthouses
* Punta Panul (San Antonio)
1924. Active; focal plane 89 m (292 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9.5 m (31 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted with red and white bands. 1-story keeper's house, white with a green roof, is staffed. The light was upgraded with a more powerful lamp in 1999. A Navy photo is at right, Luis Sakurada has a closeup, Mario Pereda Reyes has a 2008 photo of the light station, Erwin Horment has a photo, Wikimedia has two photos, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located atop a steep bluff about 7 km (4 mi) north of San Antonio. Site status unknown, but the lighthouse can be seen from nearby. ARLHS CHI-073; Admiralty G1857; NGA 1284.
* Pajaros Ninos (Algarrobo)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 5 s or red flash every 10 s depending on direction. 4 m (13 ft) round fiberglass tower, colored red. Juan Ramirez Jardua has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island, connected to the mainland by a causeway, at Algarrobo. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G1866; NGA 1280.
* Rada Quintay
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); red flash every 10 s; a white flash every 5 s is shown over a dangerous shoal to the southwest. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal concrete tower attached to a 1-story equipment shelter. Entire structure painted red. Hector Martinez has a 2008 closeup photo, Ramón Muñoz has a more distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a headland about 40 km (25 mi) southwest of Valparaíso. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G1869; NGA 1278.

Punta Panul Light, San Antonio
photo by Servicio de Señalización Marítima

Valparaíso Area Lighthouses
* Punta Curaumilla (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1893). Active; focal plane 84 m (276 ft); white flash every 15 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The adjacent keeper's house is not occupied. Fog siren (3 blasts every 30 s). Hugo Gallardo has a photo, another closeup photo is available, Yerko Lučić has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. This little lighthouse commands a spectacular view. The original lighthouse was an octagonal tower with lantern. The keeper's house was demolished in 1983. Located on the point, a prominent cape projecting into the Pacific near Laguna Verde, about 25 km (15 mi) west southwest of Valparaíso. Accessible by road. Site open (fenced, but visitors can approach very closely), tower closed. ARLHS CHI-014; Admiralty G1870; NGA 1272.
* Punta Ángeles (3)
1908 (station established 1838). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); white flash every 10 s. 18 m (59 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern red; tower painted white with a broad red band. Keeper's house staffed. The light is described as the most powerful in South America, with a range of 59 km (37 mi). Fog horn (2 blasts every 30 s). Nick Herber's photo is at the top of this page, Rodrigo David has a good photo, Trabas has Silvano's photo, Rafael Holanda has another excellent photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is Chile's oldest light station, established by Paul Delano (1775-1842), an American captain who became an admiral in the early Chilean navy. The original lighthouse, a pyramidal wooden tower, was built by the city of Valparaíso. It was replaced in 1857 by a brick tower, which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1906. The present lighthouse was prefabricated in England by Chance Brothers, Ltd. In 1967 the tower was relocated a short distance inside the Punta Angeles maritime complex; the George Slight Lighthouse Museum is nearby. Located on the Camino Costera, on the rocky headland at the western entrance to the Bahía de Valparaíso, about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of the city. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-001; Admiralty G1874; NGA 1268.
Punta Duprat (2)
1980 (station established 1921). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 5 s. 16 m (51 ft) octagonal fiberglass tower, with lantern and gallery, mounted on a pyramidal base. Tower colored white with a narrow red band under the gallery; lantern red. Carlos Yanez has the photo at right, Trabas has Silvano's photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view along the pier. This lighthouse replaced a round concrete lighthouse of similar design, which was removed due to damage from earthquakes. Located on the knuckle (bend) of the Chilean Navy breakwater pier at Valparaíso. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-068; Admiralty G1875; NGA 1260.
#Valparaíso Molo de Abrigo (Valparaíso Naval Breakwater) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white flash every 5 s, except that a flash every 3 s is shown over an approach channel to the northeast. This was a 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower, painted white with one red horizontal band. Sergio Reyes Niño has a 2007 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Trabas has Silvano's photo of the new light, a simple post. The first light on the pier was also a post. Located at the end of the Chilean Navy breakwater pier at Valparaíso. Site and tower closed. Admiralty G1876; NGA 1256.
Punta Condell
Date unknown (apparently relocated here in 1987). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 12 s. 6.5 m (22 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with domed lantern and gallery. Tower and lantern painted white, gallery red. Eduardo Fainé has a good closeup, Trabas has a fine photo by Silvano, and Google has a street view and an indistinct satellite view. The original location of this tower is not known. Today the tower is a memorial to Carlos Condell, a hero of the 1879 Battle of Iquique during the War of the Pacific. Located on a rocky headland near Viña del Mar northeast of Valparaíso, marking the east entrance to the harbor. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CHI-069; Admiralty G1878; NGA 1263.
Punta Concón
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 12 s; also two red flashes every 6 s are shown over rocks to the north. 5 m (17 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower mounted on a square 1-story stone tower. Lighthouse colored white with one horizontal red band. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located beside the Avenida Gorgoño, the coastal road at Concón, about 15 km (9 mi) north of Valparaíso. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-012; Admiralty G1880; NGA 1255.

Punta Duprat Light, Valparaíso, March 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Carlos Yanez
Club de Yates (Higuerillas)
Date unknown (2005?). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical tower with a square lantern, mounted on a square 1-story equipment room. Lighthouse painted white with one horizontal red band; the pyramidal lantern roof is also red. Horacio Parrague has a photo, Pilar Palacios has a 2007 photo, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The light is apparently quite recent, as I have seen no photos earlier than 2006. Located at the end of the breakwater at Concón, a largely recreational harbor about 15 km (9 mi) north of Valparaíso. The breakwater is not walkable, but there are good views from the waterfront. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager : Club de Yates. Admiralty G1880.5; NGA 1254.
* Península Los Molles (Quintero)
1944. Active; focal plane 94 m (308 ft); white flash every 15 s. 16 m (52 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white bands. The keeper's house is the residence of the Port Captain of Quintero. Leonardo Needham has an excellent photo, another photo is available, Google has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. This very accessible lighthouse seems to attract little attention. Located on the Avenida Cristóbal Colón, on a headland about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Quintero. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-022; Admiralty G1882; NGA 1252.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Northern Chile | South: Southern Chile

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 2004. Checked and revised June 5, 2017. Lighthouses: 44. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.