Lighthouses of China: Southeastern Liaoning

Liaoning is a province of northeastern China, at the northern end of the Chinese coast. A principal geographical feature of the province is the Liaodong (Liaotung) Peninsula, which projects into the northern end of the Yellow Sea, separating Korea Bay on the east from Liaodong Bay on the west. The major port complex of Dalian is near the end of the peninsula on the eastern side. This page includes lighthouses of the Dalian area, the coast to the northeast, and the islands to the east. Lighthouses of Lüshun (Port Arthur) and Liaodong Bay are on the Southwestern Liaoning page.

During the colonial period Russia and Japan vied for control of this strategically located area. In 1898 Russia leased the Dalian area from China, but Japan conquered the Russian colony during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05. In 1931, Japan invaded northeast China and incorporated Liaoning into the puppet state of Manchukuo until the end of the Second World War in 1945. Soviet troops then occupied Dalian and held it until they were withdrawn in 1955.

In addition to Dalian, there are important Korea Bay ports at Dandong and Zhuanghe.

An additional note: the province of Liaoning was known as Fengtian from 1907 to 1929 and during the Japanese administration; the name Liaoning was restored in 1945.

The Chinese word for a lighthouse is dēngtǎ (灯塔). Jiao or chiao is a cape, dao, tao, yu, or hsu is an island, wan is a bay, and kang or gang is a harbor. Lighthouses in China are maintained by the PRC Maritime Safety Administration. The administration is organized in four regional administrations; Liaoning lighthouses fall under the Liaoning MSA, a branch office of the Tianjin MSA.

The pinyin system for transliterating Chinese into Latin characters is now the international standard, but some locations continue to be known also under the spellings of older transliteration systems. The pinyin word jiao (formerly chiao) refers to a reef or rock in some cases, and to a cape or headland in others. Dao (tao) is an island; yu (tsu) is a small island, wan is a bay and gang (kang) is a harbor.

Names formerly used by the Japanese administration are shown in brackets {}.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CN numbers are Chinese light list numbers. Admiralty numbers are from volume F of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
MSA Aids to Navigation - Lighthouse
Two pages of photos of prominent Chinese lighthouses.
Lighthouse Appreciation
Posted by the Wenzhou MSA office in Zhejiang Province, this portfolio of photos includes several Liaoning lighthouses.
Manchuria AMS Topographic Maps
U.S. Army maps from around 1950, collected by the University of Texas.
Lighthouses/Phares - China
Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme Chinas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Dangangqu East Entrance Lights
Dagangqu East Entrance Lights, Dalian
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo


Dawangjiadao Light, Changhai
City of Zhuanghe Information Department photo

Dandong Prefecture Lighthouse (see also Southwestern Liaoning)

Note: Before World War II, the Dandong area was in the former Andong Province. The People's Republic abolished Andong in 1954, dividing its territory between Liaoning and Jilin Provinces.
Donggang City Lighthouse
Dengtashan (Daludao, Dalutao) {Talutao}
1925. Active; focal plane 80.5 m (264 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7.5 m (25 ft) round cylindrical steel or cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with narrow red horizontal bands. A small photo and a very distant view are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the east end of an island about 30 km (18 mi) west southwest of Dandong (Donggou), China's easternmost port. The island is a popular resort and the lighthouse is one of the attractions. Dengtashan ("Lighthouse Hill") was known historically as Mangshan ("Snake Hill"). Tours are available from Dandong. Located on an smaller island off the east end of Daludao. Site status unknown. ARLHS PRC-078; CN-1050; Admiralty F4076.

Dalian Subprovince Lighthouses

Zhuanghe City Lighthouses
Huangquan Range Front
2007. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); continuous red light. 29 m (95 ft) steel post centered on a square building. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels approaching a long pier that serves a large industrial plant about 25 km (15 mi) east of central Zhuanghe. Located on a platform on the west side of the pier. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F4075.7.
Huangquan Range Rear
2007. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); continuous red light. 54 m (177 ft) building; the light must be mounted at the top. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the base of the Huangquan pier. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F4075.71.
Dengtashan Light
Dengtashan Light, Donggang
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo
Pulandian City Lighthouse
Pikou
2004. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white flash every 12 s. 22 m (72 ft) round white concrete tower with double gallery; an external stairway spirals around the tower to reach the first gallery. No photo available. Located on a shoal about 5 km (3 mi) south southeast of Pikou, a small port about 70 km (45 mi) northeast of Dalian. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F4067.5.

Changhai County (Outer Changshan Islands) Lighthouses
Note: The Outer Changshan Islands form a loose archipelago on the west side of Korea Bay, extending southeastward from Zhuanghe and eastward from Dalian. Many of the islands are inhabited. There is another Changshan Islands group south of Dalian in Shandong Province.
Dawangjiadao (Tawangchia Tao)
1939. Active; focal plane 108 m (354 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 1-story concrete keeper's house. A City of Zhuanghe photo is above, a 2010 aerial photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Dawangjidao is an island about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Zhuanghe. Located on the south side of the island, within the Dawangjiadao Scenic Area. Tours to the island are available from Zhuanghe. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS PRC-079; CN-1051; Admiralty F4075.
Badouyinzi (Haiyangdao) (3)
1998 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 61.5 m (202 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical tile-covered concrete tower with gallery. Entire lighthouse is white. 1-story wood keeper's house. The MSA's photo is at right, but the station is not clear in Google's fuzzy satellite view. The original Japanese station, called "Hai Yung Tau," was apparently discontinued in favor of the present Haiyangdao station in 1932. The present station was established in 1949, according to MSA. Located on the south side of the harbor entrance, on the west side of Haiyangdao, an island about 65 km (40 mi) south of Zhuanghe. Site status unknown. ARLHS PRC-080; CN-1065; Admiralty F4066.5; NGA 18211.
Haiyangdao (2)
Date unknown (station established 1932). Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); white flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment room. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available; Google has a distant satellite view of the area. Located near the northwestern corner of Haiyangdao. Site status unknown. CN-1063; Admiralty F4066.55.
Luquanjiao
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 54 m (177 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the eastern tip of Bashaodao, a small island off the eastern tip of Xiaochangshan. Site status unknown. CN-1052; Admiralty F4070.
Jiaoliudao
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); red flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) square white concrete tower. No photo available, and the island is barely visible in Google's satellite view. Located on an islet about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of the Datuozi lighthouse (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1054; Admiralty F4068.1; NGA 18210.

Badouyinzi Light, Changhai
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo
Datuozi
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 4 s. 6.5 m (21 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on an island off the northeastern tip of Xiaochangshan, the easternmost large island of the Changshan group. The island is connected to the mainland of Xiaochangshan by a causeway. Site status unknown. CN-1066; Admiralty F4068.2.
Xiwan
1962. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); flash every 4 s, white or green depending on direction. 4.5 m (15 ft) square pyramidal stone tower attached to a small stone equipment room. Access to the light is by stone steps on one side of the pyramid. Entire beacon painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a rocky promontory sheltering the harbor of Fangshentun, the principal town of Xiaochangshan, on the south side of the island. Site status unknown. CN-1055.
Xijiajiao
2009. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 8 m (26 ft) square white concrete tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the northwestern tip of Xiaochangshan. Site status unknown. Admiralty F4068.092.
Huangshijiao (2)
1985 (station established 1965). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 3 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. An MSA photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks a shoal off the principal port of Dachangshan Dao, a 13 km (8 mi) long island west northwest of Xiaochangshan. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1058; Admiralty F4066.43.
Jiebatuozi (3)
Date unknown (station established 1956). Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 6.5 m (21 ft) round tapered concrete tower with gallery, mounted on a stone base. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. A distant view is available (click on the photo for magnification), and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The second (1987) light was on a cylindrical tower. Located on the highest point of a small island off the southern tip of Dachangshan. The island is connected to the mainland of Dachangshan by a causeway. Site status unknown. CN-1059; Admiralty F4066.4.
Xicaotuozi (2)
1985 (station established 1956). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 6 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. The light is near the right edge of a distant view of the island (click on the photo for magnification), and Bing has a distant satellite view. A sibling of the Huangshijiao lighthouse. Located on the western tip of Dachangshan. Site status unknown. CN-1060; Admiralty F4068.
Huludao (Hulutao)
1957. Active; focal plane 71 m (233 ft); white flash every 4 s. 8.5 m (28 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. The top of the lighthouse is just barely visible in a view of the island, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Another sibling of the Huangshijiao lighthouse, this light guides vessels in the passage between the islands and the mainland. Located on an island off the northwestern coast of Guangludao, an island at the southwestern end of the Outer Changshan archipelago. Site status unknown. CN-1062; Admiralty F4066.3.

Huangshijiao Light, Changhai
PRC Maritime Safety Administration photo
Guanglushan (2)
1987 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 89 m (292 ft); white flash every 6 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available; Google has a very distant satellite view. Another sibling of the Huangshijiao lighthouse. Located on Hongzidongdao, an island off the southeastern coast of Guangludao. Site status unknown. CN-1061; Admiralty F4067; NGA 18208.
Dongdaliandao (East Daliandao) (2)
1987 (station established 1958). Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); white flash every 4 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, and Google has only a very fuzzy satellite view of the island. Another sibling of the Huangshijiao lighthouse. A square pyramidal tower next to the present lighthouse is similar to the Xiwan light (see above) and is presumably the 1958 light tower. Located on an island northeast of Zhangzidao, about 27 km (17 mi) south of Xiaochangshan. Site status unknown. CN-1066; Admiralty F4066.48.
Zhangzidao (2)
1987 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 145 m (476 ft); white flash every 4 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, and Google has only a very fuzzy satellite view of the location. The light station is atop the mountain in the foreground of an aerial view of the island. Another sibling of the Huangshijiao lighthouse. The square pyramidal tower next to the present lighthouse may be the 1957 lighthouse; instead of a lantern, the solar panels are now mounted on its roof. Located at the southeastern tip of Zhangzidao. Site status unknown. CN-1067; Admiralty F4066.45.
Jiajiao (Zhangzidao Northwest)
2009. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (33 ft) round white concrete tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the northern tip of Zhangzidao. Site status unknown. Admiralty F4066.435.

Jinzhou District Lighthouses
Nandaquan
1995. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 22 m (72 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a large 1-story keeper's house complex. Lighthouse painted white. An MSA photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Although the lighthouse was built in 1990, it was not activated until 1995. Located at the tip of a narrow peninsula on the north side of Dayao Wan about 30 km (19 mi) northeast of Dalian. Site status unknown. ARLHS PRC-044; CN-1072; Admiralty F4065; NGA 18225.
Nandaquan Light
Nandaquan Light, Jinzhou
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo
Dayao Wan North Entrance North Side
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); green light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 20 m (66 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north detached breakwater of Dayao Wan, south of the Nandaquan lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F4065.3; NGA 18225.3.
Dayao Wan North Entrance South Side
1995?. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 20 m (66 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. The light is in the far background of the photo of the harbor entrance at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the north end of the detached north breakwater of Dayao Wan (bay), opposite the Nandaquan lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F4065.4; NGA 18225.5.
Dayao Wan North Breakwater South End (Dayaowan Zulangdi)
1995. Active; focal plane 26.5 m (87 ft); continuous red light. 22 m (72 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. The light is at the right in the photo of the harbor entrance at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the south end of the detached north breakwater of Dayao Wan. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS PRC-024; CN-1073; Admiralty F4065.5; NGA 18226.2.
Dayao Wan South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; characteristics unknown. 22 m (72 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is white with narrow red vertical stripes. A photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater, a working pier on the south side of Dayao Wan. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F4066; NGA 18226.
Dayao Wan Breakwater Lights
Dayao Wan South Breakwater Light, Jinzhou, November 2006
Panoramio photo copyright haili4603; permission requested
Daliangangxin Oil Terminal (Youmatouzhanqiao) (2)
1985 (station established 1976). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous green light. 17 m (56 ft) round tapered concrete tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. NGA lists a framework tower at this location. Located at the end of a long pier sheltering the oil terminal, southeast of the Dayao Wan Breakwater and northwest of the Shatuozi lighthouse. Site and tower closed. CN-1084; Admiralty F4059.3; NGA 18229.
Daliangangxin Oil Terminal Operations Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous red light. 10 m (33 ft) round white concrete tower. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of a pier at the oil terminal. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F4059.5; NGA 18231.
Shatuozi
1976. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white flash every 6 s. 37 m (121 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. An MSA photo is at right, an excellent 2010 closeup is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was built at the tip of the blunt peninsula on the south side of Dayao Wan. In 1986, it was necessary to reinforce the foundation, presumably against wave action. Since then, breakwaters have been built to enclose the location of the lighthouse, and it appears that the area is being filled. Site status unknown. ARLHS PRC-081; CN-1086; Admiralty F4059; NGA 18228.
#Jiucaituozi
1973. Demolished in 2010. This was an 8.5 m (28 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment room. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available. Google's satellite view shows that the area is now occupied by an oil terminal. Formerly located on a small island about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of the Shatuozi lighthouse, marking the north side of the entrance to Dalian Wan. Site status unknown. ex-CN-1087; ex-Admiralty F4058.5; NGA 18234.
Beiliang Gang Breakwater
2009(?). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); continuous green light. Approx. 27 m (89 ft) round concrete tower. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a short breakwater on the north side of Dagushan Bay, opposite central Dalian. Site status unknown. Admiralty F4056; NGA 18235.3.

Shatuozi Light, Jinzhou
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo
Beiliang Gang Oil Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round tapered fiberglass tower, colored with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of a pier about 800 m (1/2 mi) northwest of the Beilang Gang Breakwater lighthouse. Site status unknown. Admiralty F4053; NGA 18234.1.

Dalian City: Offshore Approach Lighthouses
Note: Dalian, Liaoning's largest port and second-largest city, occupies a narrow waist of the Liaodong Peninsula about 80 km (50 mi) northeast of the end. Port facilities are on the east side of the city, facing Korea Bay. The area was occupied by Britain in 1858 but was returned to China in the 1880s. Along with the rest of the peninsula, it was occupied by Russia in 1898, by Japan from 1905 until the end of the Second World War, and then by Soviet troops until 1955. Political administration was transferred to the new People's Republic in 1950. The city was called Darien in English and Dalny in Russian.
Yuandao (Round Island)
1925 (substantially rebuilt in 1949). Active; focal plane 66 m (217 ft); white flash every 15 s. 20 m (66 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. An MSA photo is at right, the PRC Transport Ministry has an article on the lighthouse, with a distant photo at the bottom of the page; the Dalian Daily has a second article with a black and white closeup photo. The island is barely visible in Google's satellite view. Heavily damaged during World War II, the lighthouse was repaired and operated by the Soviet Union from 1949 to 1955. Located on a small island far out in Korea Bay, about 50 km (30 mi) east southeast of Dalian. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS PRC-073; CN-1096; Admiralty F4064; NGA 18212.
Xian Jiao (3)
1987 (station established 1928). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 5 s. 21 m (69 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower mounted on a hexagonal cylindrical concrete pyramid. Fiberglass tower painted with red and white horizontal bands, concrete base unpainted. The original light was on a 10 m (33 ft) tower, and the second lighthouse was built in 1961. Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the location. Located on a rocky reef about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Dalian. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS PRC-062; CN-1080; Admiralty F4060; NGA 18222.
Yuandao Light
Yuandao Light, Korea Bay
PRC Maritime Safety Administration photo
Dasanshandao
1905. Active; focal plane 81 m (266 ft); white flash every 10 s. 12 m (39 ft) round stone tower, painted white. Fog siren (4 blasts every 30 s). An MSA photo is at right, Henry Gim has a view from the sea, a very distant view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Construction of this historic lighthouse began in 1903, presumably by the Russian government then in control of Dalian. According to MSA, the lighthouse was refurbished in 1947, a fog signal was added in 1958, and in 1994 action was taken to stabilize the slope around the lighthouse. Dasanshandao is an island off the southern entrance to Dalian Bay, about 25 km (15 mi) east southeast of the city. Located at the southern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS PRC-023; CN-1097; Admiralty F4058; NGA 18220.
Yu Yan (Gugan, Encounter Rock)
1925. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white light, 1.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 16 m (52 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The rock is barely visible in Google's satellite view. The lighthouse was restored in 1998 and Tianjan MSA repaired the lighthouse when it failed in October 2012. Located on a rocky reef about 35 km (22 mi) south of Dalian. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS PRC-072; CN-1145; Admiralty F4062; NGA 18216.

Dalian City: Ganjingzi District Lighthouses
Liaohaixun Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (33 ft) round fiberglass tower colored with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of a pier at the northern end of Dalian harbor. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F4045.23; NGA 18283.


Dasanshandao Light, Dalian
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo

Ganjingzi (Kanchingtzu) {Kanseishi} Oil Wharf
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (33 ft) round fiberglass tower colored with black and white horizontal bands. The light is at the far right in a view of the harbor, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the pier. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F4045.22; NGA 18279.1.
Ganjingzi (Kanchingtzu) {Kanseishi} Wharf (2)
1997 (station established 1930). Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); continuous green light. 12 m (39 ft) tapered round fiberglass tower, painted white. The light is at the far left in a view of the harbor, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the longest pier of Dalian's old harbor. Site status unknown. CN-1124; Admiralty F4044; NGA 18280.

Dalian City: Zhongshan District Lighthouses
Dagangqu North Entrance West Side
1915. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous red light. 19 m (62 ft) tile-covered tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was "transformed" in 1964, presumably by adding the tile covering. Located at the end of the west breakwater of Dalian. Site and tower closed. CN-1108; Admiralty F4028; NGA 18268.
Dagangqu North Entrance East Side
1915. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous red light. 19 m (62 ft) tile-covered tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was "transformed" in 1964, presumably by adding the tile covering. Located at the west end of the detached main breakwater of Dalian. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. CN-1107; Admiralty F4026; NGA 18264.
Dagangqu East Entrance North Side (Dalian Wan)
1913. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white light, 6 s on, 6 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round tapered stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The Wenzhou MSA office has a closeup photo, another photo is available, the lighthouse is seen in the distance in the photo at the top of this page, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the east end of the detached main breakwater of Dalian, on the north side of the Dalian peninsula. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS PRC-022; CN-1110; Admiralty F4022; NGA 18256.
* Dagangqu East Entrance South Side
1913. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red light, 6 s on, 6 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round tapered stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. A photo is at the top of this page, another photo and a third photo are available, Forand has a historic postcard view showing a long-vanished signal tower behind the lighthouse, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the east breakwater of Dalian. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can easily be viewed from shore. CN-1109; Admiralty F4020; NGA 18260.
Huang
Huangbaizui Light, Dalian
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo
#Dalian Oil Pier # 2 (2)
1965 (station established 1932). Removed, apparently in 2009. This was an 11 m (36 ft) round concrete tower, painted white, located at the end of the longer pier of the former Dalian oil terminal, on the northeastern edge of the city. A recent Google satellite view shows that the entire pier and terminal have disappeared in a newly filled area. ex-CN-1122; ex-Admiralty F4018; ex-NGA 18244.
Huangbaizui {Kohakushi} (2)
1996 (station established 1925). Active; focal plane 95 m (312 ft); flash every 5 s, alternately red and white. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, attached to a round 2-story coast guard or harbor control building. Entire structure painted white. An MSA photo is above right, Sandy Tang has a nice 2009 view of the lightghouse, a foggy 2010 closeup is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This light is the landfall light for Dalian harbor. Located on a sharp, rocky promontory on the northeast corner of the Dalian peninsula, about 12 km (7.5 mi) east of the center of the city. Site status unknown. ARLHS PRC-032; CN-1098; Admiralty F4010; NGA 18236.
Laohutan Wan
Date unknown. Active; light characteristic unknown. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, covered with white ceramic tiles. The small lantern is red. Dmitry Klimenko has a 2009 photo, a closeup and a distant view are available, and Bing has a satellite view. We need additional information on this lighthouse. Located on a promontory on the south side of the Dalian peninsula, about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of the Huangbai Zui lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
* Xinghai
Date unknown. Active (probably unofficial); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 17 m (56 ft) round hourglass-shaped stone stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted red. Brian Yap's photo is at right, Jo Manolo has a nighttime photo of the lighthouse in action, and Google has a satellite view. We need information on the history of this interesting lighthouse. Xinghai, on the south side of the Dalian peninsula, has tourist facilities including a cruise ship terminal and swimming beach. Located on the west side of the harbor entrance at Xinghai. Site open, tower closed.
Laopiandao
2001. Active; focal plane 88 m (289 ft); white flash every 4 s. 8 m (26 ft) white round concrete tower. Yin Hu has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The area is included in a marine ecosystem preserve. Located on a small but high island about 10 km (6 mi) south of Xinghai. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1143; Admiralty F3985.
Xinghai Light
Xinghai Light, Dalian, October 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Brian Yap

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Western North Korea | West: Southwestern Liaoning

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 25, 2008. Checked and revised April 3, 2014. Lighthouses: 46. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.