Lighthouses of China: Yāntái Area (Northern Shāndōng)

Shāndōng (formerly spelled Shantung) is a province of northern China lying directly across the Yellow Sea from South Korea. The province includes the Shāndōng Peninsula (Shāndōng Bandǎo), which separates the Yellow Sea from the Bohai Gulf. This page includes lighthouses of the north coast of the peninsula in Dōngyíng, Wéifāng, and Yāntái prefectures. (Yāntái prefecture also has a south coast, and lighthouses of the that coast are listed on the Wēihǎi Area page.)

Because of its strategic location and fine ports, the Shāndōng Peninsula was a target for foreign penetration during the colonial period. Wēihǎi was a British colony from 1898 to 1930, and Yāntái also had a large European presence. The entire province was occupied by Japan during World War II (1938-1945).

Lighthouses in China are maintained by the PRC Maritime Safety Administration. The administration is organized in four regional administrations; Shāndōng lighthouses fall under the Tiānjīn MSA and its district office at Yāntái.

The pīnyīn system for transliterating Chinese into Latin characters is now the international standard, but some locations continue to be known also under the spellings of older transliteration systems. The Chinese word for a lighthouse is dēngtǎ (灯塔). In pinyin jiāo (formerly chiao) is a reef or rock, jiǎo is a cape or headland, dǎo (tao) is an island; (tsu) is a small island, wān is a bay and gǎng (kang) is a harbor.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CN numbers are Chinese light list numbers. Admiralty numbers are from volume P of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Navigation Aids Search
The Shànghǎi MSA provides this access to its database of information on navigational aids: enter a range of CN numbers in the lower pair of boxes and click on the search box below. All information is in Chinese.
MSA Aids to Navigation - Lighthouse
Two pages of photos of prominent Chinese lighthouses.
Online List of Lights - China
Coming soon: photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
World of Lighthouses - China
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Chinese English Pinyin Dictionary
A useful tool for juggling the representations of Chinese names.
Lighthouses/Phares - China
Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme Chinas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
China AMS Topographic Maps
A fine collection of U.S. Army Map Service maps of China, in English, posted by the University of Texas Library.

Houjidao Light
Hòujīdǎo Light, Chángdǎo
PRC Maritime Safety Administration photo

Dōngyíng Prefecture Lighthouses

Hékǒu District Lighthouses
Note: Dōngyíng faces the shallow southwestern side of the Bohai Sea on the north side of the Yellow River Delta and at the west entrance to Láizhōu Bay. The city is the home of numerous petroleum-based industries associated with the nearby Shènglì Oil Field. The harbor district is called Hékǒu (River Port).
Dōngyíng Gǎng
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); green flash every 3 s. 12 m (39 ft) round metal tower, painted with green and white horizontal bands. The light is at the end of the pier in an aerial photo, but it is not seen in Google's satellite view. In order to create a deepwater port for the city, piers have been built at the end of a 7 km (4.4 mi) long trestle. The light is at the end of this complex. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3906.4; NGA 18527.5.
Dōngyíng North Basin North Breakwater
2012(?). Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 17 m (56 ft) round tile-covered concrete tower, colored white with a green top. Zhōu Qìnghuái has a photo showing both breakwater lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to a harbor basin just east of the long trestle. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3906.408.
Dōngyíng North Basin South Breakwater
Date unknown (before 2009). Active; focal plane about 16 m (52 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) round tile-covered concrete tower, colored white with a red top. A photo is available, Zhōu Qìnghuái has a photo showing both breakwater lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the south side of the entrance to a harbor basin just east of the long trestle. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3906.409.
Dōngyíng South Basin Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) square skeletal tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located near the waterfront of the south basin. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3906.43.
Dōngyíng South Basin Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 30 m (98 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 27 m (89 ft) square skeletal tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located about 600 m (3/8 mi) west southwest of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3906.431.

Wéifāng Prefecture Lighthouses

Hántíng District Lighthouses
Note: Wéifāng is an industrial city located at the southern end of Láizhōu Bay.
Wéifāng Gǎng Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 16 m (52 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the main pier of Wéifāng. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3906.27.

Yāntái Prefecture North Coast Lighthouses

Note: Yāntái stretches along more than half of the north coast of the Shāndōng Peninsula and also includes the Chángshān Islands offshore.
Láizhōu City Lighthouses
Note: Láizhōu is a city of about 900,000 residents on the east side of Láizhōu Bay.
* Hǔtóuyá (Tigerhead Point)
1946. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 15 m (49 ft) hexagonal stone tower with lantern. Zhòngchóng Zhōu has a photo, several closeup photos (3/4 the way down the page) are available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The tower is unpainted; lantern painted black. The lighthouse was built by local authorities to guide fishermen; it has a spiral wood staircase. Located on a hillside overlooking the southeastern corner of Láizhōu Bay. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P3906.2.
Láizhōu Shān
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. The distant view at right comes from a panoramic view of the port, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This appears to be a historic lighthouse. Located atop a steep bluff above the Láizhōu fishing port. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3905.5.

Lóngkǒu City Lighthouses
Note: Lóngkǒu, a city of about 625,000 residents, is located at the eastern entrance to Láizhōu Bay.
Xīnhángdào (New Channel) Range Front
2007. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); continuous red light. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery, mounted on a square platform. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This is the approach range for Lóngkǒu. Located about 5 km (3 mi) offshore from Lóngkǒu. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3898.5; NGA 18532.5.
Laizhou Shan Light
Láizhōu Shān Light, Láizhōu, May 2013
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by gofman3
Xīnhángdào (New Channel) Range Rear
2007. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); continuous red light. 40 m (131 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery, mounted on a square platform and carrying a black diamond-shaped daymark. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located 1 km (0.6 mi) southeast of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3898.51; NGA 18532.51.
Lóngkǒu Gǎng Range Front (2)
2008 (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); continuous green light. 25 m (82 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. NGA formerly listed shorter towers for this range. Located on a pier in Lóngkǒu's inner harbor. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P3898; NGA 18533.
Lóngkǒu Gǎng Range Rear (2)
2008 (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); continuous green light. 43 m (141 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. NGA formerly listed shorter towers for this range. Located beside a major street in Lóngkǒu's harbor district, 400 m (1/4 mi) east of the front light. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P3898.1; NGA 18533.5.
Shènglì Mǎtóu Hángdào (Victory Dock Channel) Range Front
2008. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black and carrying a black and yellow daymark. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the waterfront on the north side of Lóngkǒu harbor. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P3897.6.
Shènglì Mǎtóu Hángdào (Victory Dock Channel) Range Rear
2008. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 29 m (95 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black and carrying a black and yellow daymark. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located 650 m (0.4 mi) north of the front light. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P3897.61.
* Qīmùjiǎo (Qimudǎo, Chimatao) (3)
2004 (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 71 m (233 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (59 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. An MSA photo is right, another photo and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 12 m (36 ft) hexagonal stone tower, and this was replaced in 1977 by a 7 m (23 ft) masonry tower. Qīmùjiǎo is the tip of a west-pointing sandy promontory that shelters Lóngkǒu Wān; the end of the peninsula was formerly an island (Qimudǎo) that is now connected to the mainland by a sandy isthmus. The area has become well known as a beach resort, with the lighthouse as a tourist attraction. Located at the tip of the peninsula about 12 km (7.5 mi) west of Lóngkǒu. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P3897; NGA 18532.
* Sāngdǎo (Mulberry Island)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower. The lighthouse is unpainted. A photo (second photo on the page) and a second photo (halfway down the page) are available, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. This appears to be a historic lighthouse. Sāngdǎo is an island about 2 km (1.25 mi) off the mainland and about 13 km (8 mi) northeast of Lóngkǒu. Located on the southern tip of the island. Site presumably open, tower closed. Admiralty P3896.8.
Qimujiao Light
Qimujiǎo Light, Lóngkǒu
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Yāntái Office photo

Pénglái City Lighthouses
Note: Pénglái is a historic fortified city facing the Bohai Gulf; it has a population of about 450,000.
*** Lǎoběishān (4) (Old North Mountain) (Péngláitóu, Pénglái Head)
2000 (station established 1941). Active; focal plane 90 m (295 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 27 m (89 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern, gallery, and a large round observation room, apparently attached to a large building. Tower painted white, lantern red. Gordon Snyder's photo is at right, a 2012 photo is available, a view from below shows the situation of the lighthouse, a 2010 photo shows the lighthouse being repainted, and Google has a satellite view. The 1972 lighthouse was a 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery; it replaced a skeletal tower installed in 1952. Cable cars transport visitors from the city to a point within walking distance of the lighthouse. Located on heights above the east side of the harbor of Pénglái. Site open, observation room open. CN-1456; Admiralty P3895.85; NGA 18558.
* Pénglái Gé (Puzhao Pagoda)
1868 (the tower may be older). Inactive, but decorative lights are displayed, at least for special occasions. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) hexagonal cylindrical brick tower topped by a pagoda supported by six columns. Eric Niu has a photo, a 2012 photo and a 2014 photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Probably built as a watchtower, this historic building is part of the Pénglái fortress, which dates to the 11th century. Below the fortress, Pénglái has a sheltered "secret" harbor that was a historic naval base; Google also has a satellite view of this area. The fortress was captured by Manchu forces in a famous battle in 1632. A light was is said to have been displayed from the tower from 1868 until the approach of World War II. However, to the best of our knowledge this light was never listed on international light lists. The tower was restored in 1958 and is a treasured architectural landmark. Located to the east of the Lǎoběishān lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
Dì Jiǎo (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 8 s. Approx. 7 m (23 ft) round white tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The Admiralty lists a 5 m (17 ft) round white tower, but the satelite view suggests a newer and taller tower. Located on a headland about 20 km (13 mi) east of Pénglái. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3895.7.

Lǎoběishān (Pénglái Gang) Light, Pénglái, June 2008
photo copyright Gordon Snyder Photography; used by permission

Chángdǎo County (Changshan Islands, Miàodǎo Islands) Lighthouses
Note: The Changshan Islands lie in a ragged chain across the entrance to the Bohai Gulf north of Pénglái, creating a serious hazard for shipping. They are also called the Miàodǎo (Temple) Islands because of the many Buddhist temples found on them. There are 32 islands in all, ten of them large enough to be inhabited; the total population is about 43,000. The islands are accessible by ferry from Pénglái and are popular resort destinations. After being closed to Western visitors for all of the Communist period, the islands were opened to tourism in December 2008.
Běihuángchéngdǎo (3)
1980 (station established 1956). Active; focal plane 171 m (561 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, covered with white tile. An MSA photo is at right, a photo and historical notes (1/4 the way down the page) is available, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a skeletal tower; it was replaced in 1974 by a 5 m (17 ft) concrete tower. This is probably the most important of the gulf island lighthouses. It stands at the northern tip of a small island nearly in the center of the entrance to the Bohai Gulf, about 55 km (35 mi) north of Pénglái and 50 km (30 mi) from the tip of the Liaodong Peninsula to the north. Site status unknown. CN-1482; Admiralty P3892.5; NGA 18568.
Tuózidǎo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 68 m (223 ft); three white flashes every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) round white concrete tower. A very distant view from the sea is available (zoom in for a better view), and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a small island, attached by a causeway to the southern tip of the larger island of Tuózidǎo. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3893.7.
Hòujīdǎo (Howki Island)
1882 (British). Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); white flash every 12 s. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to one end of a 1-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse painted black. An MSA photo is at the top of this page, a photo and historical notes (1/3 the way down the page) are available, the lighthouse is barely visible in a distant view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view of the station. This lighthouse was built by the British for the Chinese Maritime Customs Department. The lantern was destroyed during World War II and was replaced when the lighthouse was repaired in 1953. Hòujīdǎo (Rocky Island) is a small island about 30 km (19 mi) north northwest of Pénglái. A shipping channel through the islands passes between this light and the Beichangshan lighthouse (next entry). Located on the highest point of the island. Site status unknown. CN-1474; Admiralty P3892; NGA 18556.
Beihuangchengdao Light
Běihuángchéngdǎo Light, Chángdǎo
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Yāntái Office photo
Běizhángshān (Běichángshān, Běizhángshāndǎo) (3)
1998 (station established 1951). Active; focal plane 102 m (335 ft); white flash every 10 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment building or keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is red. An MSA photo is at right, a photo and historical notes (1/2 the way down the page) is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was replaced in 1973; the present light is on a new location. Běizhángshāndǎo (North Long Mountain Island) is an inhabited island about 20 km (12.5 mi) north of Pénglái, off the north coast of the Shāndōng Peninsula; the island is connected by a bridge to Chángdǎo itself, the largest island in the chain. Located on the north coast of the island. Site status unknown; the lighthouse is accessible by road but may not be open to the public. CN-1473; Admiralty P3894; NGA 18536.
* Xīběizuǐ (Northwest Pass)
1986. Active; focal plane 27 m (88 ft); white flash every 4 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower, painted white. Chen Ning has a photo, another photo and a view from the sea are available, and Google has a satellite view and a street view from the beach. Located at the western end of Běizhángshāndǎo in what appears to be a park. Site open, tower closed. CN-1472; Admiralty P3894.5.
* Quèzuǐ (Quezuijianzi, Nanchangshandao) (2)
2010 (station establshment date unknown). Active; focal plane 75 m (246 ft); white flash every 10 s. 19 m (62 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. A view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was at a much lower level. This new lighthouse was built in part as a tourist attraction and as a symbol for Chángdǎo. A tall Martyr's Monument has been built near the lighthouse. Located at the west point of Chángdǎo itself, the largest island of the archipelago, about 9 km (5.5 mi) north of Pénglái. Site status unknown. CN-1459; Admiralty P3895.22; NGA 18559.1.
Dǎliándǎo (Danglangdao)
1960. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the north end of a small island about 1.6 km (1 mi) west of the Xīběizuǐ light. Accessible only by boat. Site apparently open, tower closed. CN-1471; Admiralty P3895.38.
Beichangshandao Light
Běizhángshān Light, Chángdǎo
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wēnzhōu Office photo
Lǚjiǎobàzǐ (2)
1976 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 3 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower, painted white. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view of the location. Located on a reef off the northern tip of Xiǎohēishān, an island about 5 km (3 mi) west of the Běizhángshān light. Site status unknown. CN-1469; Admiralty P3895.35; NGA 18537.
Xiǎohēishān (Little Black Mountain)
1957. Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); red flash every 6 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Listed by NGA as Miao Zui. Located at the southwestern end of Xiǎohēishān Island. Site status unknown. CN-1468; Admiralty P3895.3; NGA 18538.
Niútuózi (Cow Rock) (2)
1976 (station established 1948). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located near the southwestern end of an island about 4 km (2.5 mi) northwest of Chángdǎo. Site status unknown. CN-1466; Admiralty P3895.28; NGA 18539.
Xiǎozhúshāndǎo (Little Zhúshān Island)
1951. Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5 m (16 ft) round rubblestone tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a distant satellite view. Located atop a tiny island about 5 km (3 mi) west of the larger Dàzhúshāndǎo (next entry). Site status unknown. CN-1476; Admiralty P3893; NGA 18564.
Dàzhúshān (Dàzhúshāndǎo, Big Zhúshān Island)
1980. Active; focal plane 204.5 m (671 ft); white flash every 8 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete or masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story equipment building. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. MSA's photo appears at right, another photo (next to last photo on the page) is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located atop a small island about 30 km (19 mi) northeast of Pénglái. Site status unknown. CN-1475; Admiralty P3893.5; NGA 18560.

Yāntái City: Fúshān District Lighthouses
Note: Opened to foreign trade in 1861, Yāntái was called "Chefoo" during the colonial period; Zhīfú is actually the name of a district in the city and an island nearby. The name Yāntái means "smoking platform" and refers to watchtowers maintained here in the Ming Dynasty to warn of approaching Japanese pirates.
Yāntái West Harbor Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 56 m (184 ft); continuous red light. 50 m (164 ft) square skeletal tower. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located about 30 km (19 mi) northwest of Yāntái. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3891.03.
Dazushandao Light
Dàzhúshāndǎo Light, Chángdǎo
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wēnzhōu Office photo
Yāntái West Harbor Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 76 m (249 ft); continuous red light. 31 m (102 ft) square skeletal tower. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located 870 m (0.54 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3891.04.
Lóngdòngzuǐ
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); white flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This is an important but very poorly known lighthouse. Located on a high promontory about 25 km (15 mi) northwest of Yāntái. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3891.
Bajiǎo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 6 s. 9 m (30 ft) round stone tower. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory about 10 km (6 mi) south of Lóngdòngzuǐ. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3890.
Xiǎoshānzi (Little Rock Garden) (2)
1967 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical brick tower rising from a tiny 1-story square brick building. Lighthouse painted white. Gordon Snyder has contributed a photo, a distant view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island off the end of a long, rocky peninsula sheltering the northwest side of Yāntái harbor. Accessible only by boat, although there should be a good view from the tip of the peninsula or from arriving ships. Site status unknown. CN-1488; Admiralty P3881; NGA 18588.
* Yāntái West Port Entrance Range Front (triple light)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); continuous red light. 35 m (115 ft) slender round tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The tower also carries a diamond-shaped slatted daymark, painted black. This light is flanked by two 25 m (82 ft) towers that define the north and south edges of the entrance channel. A 2009 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at a street intersection just inside the entrance to the Yāntái harbor facilities. Site and tower closed, although it must be possible to see the tower from nearby major streets. CN-1508.19; Admiralty P3882.5 (middle), F3883.1 (north) and F3883.5 (south); NGA 18587.
* Yāntái West Port Entrance Range Rear (triple light)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); continuous red light. 45 m (148 ft) slender round tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The tower also carries a diamond-shaped slatted daymark, painted black. This light is flanked by two 35 m (115 ft) towers that define the north and south edges of the entrance channel. The tower is on the left in a photo that also shows the north range rear light on the right, and Google has a satellite view. Located in a neighborhood of apartments west of the Yāntái waterfront, 830 m (1/2 mi) west of the rear light; a plaza has been built around the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. CN-1508.2; Admiralty P3882.51 (middle), F3883.11 (north) and F3883.51 (south); NGA 18587.1.
#Yāntái West Port Breakwater
Date unknown. Removed sometime after 2011. 15 m (49 ft) square skeletal tower, painted red, mounted on a large 1-story concrete base. Lighthouse painted red. A 2011 distant view is available, but the breakwater is missing from Google's satellite view. Located at the end of a breakwater extending north from the broad main quay of Yāntái harbor. Site status unknown. ex-CN-1502.1; ex-Admiralty P3886.5; ex-NGA 18587.5.
Yāntái Inner Harbor Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); continuous red light. 30 m (98 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The top of the tower carries a triangular daymark, point up. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the broad main quay of Yāntái harbor. Site status unknown. CN-1505; Admiralty P3887, NGA 18586.
Yāntái Inner Harbor Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); continuous red light. 39 m (128 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The top of the tower carries a triangular daymark, point down. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located near the base of the broad main quay of Yāntái harbor. Site status unknown. CN-1506; Admiralty P3887.1, NGA 18586.1.
Yāntái Detached Breakwater North End
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); red flash every 4 s. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower, painted red, mounted on a large 1-story concrete base. Lighthouse painted red. This light is at the left in a distant view of the breakwater, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the north end of the detached east breakwater of Yāntái harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. CN-1503; Admiralty P3884; NGA 18576.
Yāntái Detached Breakwater South End
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); quick-flashing green light. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower, painted green, mounted on a large 1-story concrete base. Lighthouse painted red. This light is at the right in a distant view of the breakwater, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the south end of the detached east breakwater of Yāntái harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. CN-1504; Admiralty P3886; NGA 18580.

Yāntái City: Zhīfú District Lighthouses
Sānqī Channel Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 40 m (131 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 35 m (115 ft) slender round tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is an arrival range for a harbor in eastern Yāntái in the lee of the former Zhīfú Island (now a peninsula). Located on the waterfront of the harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3881.9.
Sānqī Channel Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 50 m (164 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 45 m (148 ft) slender round tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located about 200 m (660 ft) west of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3881.91.
*** Yāntáishan(Yāntái Shan, Tower Hill) (1)
1905. Inactive. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal crenellated stone tower. Built as a watchtower, the original Yāntái Tower crowned the hill that looms over the east side of the harbor. A lantern added in 1905 converted the tower to a lighthouse; Huelse has a postcard view showing this lantern. With the lantern now removed, the old tower now serves as a popular observation deck. Ami Susanna has a photo. Located at the base of the modern lighthouse, on the east side. Site and tower open.
Yantaishan Light
Yāntáishan Light, Yāntái, October 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by felibrilu
**** Yāntáishan (Yāntái Shan, Tower Hill) (2)
1988 (station established 1905). Active; focal plane 80 m (263 ft); white flash every 9 s. 50 m (164 ft) 12-sided concrete tower with lantern, gallery, and 12-sided observation room. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome red. A photo is above right, a 2012 photo, a closeup, an excellent 2007 photo, and a view from the sea are available, and Google has a satellite view. The modern lighthouse is the centerpiece of Yāntái Hill Park, which is part of the historic European district. Elevators carry visitors to the observation level. Located atop the hill, which forms a promontory southeast of the harbor. Site open; the tower is open for climbing and is one of the best known attractions of the city. ARLHS PRC-071; CN-1499; Admiralty P3882; NGA 18572.
* Kōngtóngdǎo (Kongtong dǎo, Kungtungtao, Chefoo, "Luson") (1)
1867. Inactive since World War II. The original Chefoo lighthouse was a round stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands; Huelse has a postcard view. This lighthouse was heavily damaged during World War II. The lowest story of the lighthouse survives, topped by a round concrete tower, much narrower than the original, carrying communications gear. Gordon Snyder has contributed a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The name "Luson," once applied to the lighthouse, is that of Lǔ Xùn, the Commissioner of Customs at the Chefoo (Zhīfú) port when construction of the lighthouse began. Located about 75 m (250 ft) west of the new lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
*** Kōngtóngdǎo (4)
1997 (station established 1867). Active; focal plane 78 m (256 ft); white flash every 15 s. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, centered on a round building and carrying a round observation level and a large lantern. Lighthouse covered with white tiles; lantern painted red. Gordon Snyder's photo is at right, a view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1955 and by a third lighthouse in 1974. Kongtongdǎo is an island about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of the Yāntái waterfront. About 2 km (1.25 mi) long, the island is protected as the Yāntái Kōngtóngdǎo Scenic Area. Transportation is available from Yāntái. According to Snyder, the lighthouse is "accessible by landing the boat on a remote beach on the north side of the island, walking about 0.5 km up a narrow cement road from the beach, then hiking up 233 steep, stone steps to the tower." Located at the northeastern end of the island. Site open; tower open to the observation level. CN-1497; Admiralty P3878; NGA 18596.

Kongtongdao Light
Kōngtóngdǎo Light, Yāntái, June 2008
photo copyright Gordon Snyder Photography; used by permission

Běishí (Pei Shih, Diliuxing, North Rock)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 4 m (13 ft) square white masonry tower adjacent to a 1-story keeper's cottage or equipment building. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located atop an isolated rock about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Kongtongdǎo. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty P3880; NGA 18604.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Héběi and Tiānjīn | East: Wēihǎi Area

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted March 31, 2008. Checked and revised May 17, 2017. Lighthouses 54. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.