Lighthouses of China: Northeastern Shandong

Shandong (formerly spelled Shantung) is a province of northern China lying directly across the Yellow Sea from South Korea. The province includes the Shandong Peninsula (Shandong Bandao), which separates the Yellow Sea from the Bohai Gulf. This page includes lighthouses of the Yantai and Weihai prefectures, including the north (Bohai Gulf) coast and the eastern end of the peninsula. This region includes the important ports of Penglai, Yantai and Weihai.

Because of its strategic location and fine ports, the Shandong Peninsula was a target for foreign penetration during the colonial period. Weihai was a British colony from 1898 to 1930, and Yantai also had a large European presence. The entire province was occupied by Japan during World War II (1938-1945).

The Chinese word for a lighthouse is dēngtǎ (灯塔). Lighthouses in China are maintained by the PRC Maritime Safety Administration. The administration is organized in four regional administrations; Shandong lighthouses fall under the Tianjin MSA.

The pinyin system for transliterating Chinese into Latin characters is now the international standard, but some locations continue to be known also under the spellings of older transliteration systems. The Chinese word for a lighthouse is dēngtǎ (灯塔). Jiao or chiao is a cape, dao, tao, yu, or hsu is an island, wan is a bay, and kang or gang is a harbor.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CN numbers are Chinese light list numbers. Admiralty numbers are from volume F of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Navigation Mark Search
This page searches a long light list for all of China posted by the Shanghai MSA office. Enter a range of CN numbers in the lower pair of search boxes.
Yantai Lighthouse History
Posted by the Yantai district office of the MSA, this page links to historical articles on the major lighthouses.
Lighthouse Appreciation
Posted by the Wenzhou MSA office in Zhejiang Province, this portfolio of photos includes several Shandong lighthouses.
Leuchttürme Chinas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
China AMS Topographic Maps
A fine collection of U.S. Army Map Service maps of China, in English, posted by the University of Texas Library.

Houjidao Light
Houjidao Light, Changshan Islands
PRC Maritime Safety Administration photo

Dongying Prefecture Lighthouse

Hekou District Lighthouse
Dongying Gang
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); green flash every 3 s. 12 m (39 ft) round metal tower, painted with green and white horizontal bands. No photo available, and the light is not seen in Google's satellite view. Dongying faces the shallow southwestern side of the Bohai Sea. In order to create a deepwater port for the city, piers have been built at the end of a 7 km (4.4 mi) long trestle. The light is at the end of this complex. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3906.4; NGA 18527.5.

Yantai Prefecture North Coast Lighthouses

Longkou City Lighthouses
Xinhangdao Range Front
2007. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); continuous red light. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery, mounted on a square platform. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This is the approach range for Longkou. Located about 5 km (3 mi) offshore from Longkou. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3898.5; NGA 18532.5.
Xinhangdao Range Rear
2007. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); continuous red light. 40 m (131 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery, mounted on a square platform and carrying a black diamond-shaped daymark. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located 1 km (0.6 mi) southeast of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3898.51; NGA 18532.51.
* Qimujiao (Qimudao, Chimatao) (3)
2004 (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 71 m (233 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (59 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. An MSA photo is right, a distant view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 12 m (36 ft) hexagonal stone tower, and this was replaced in 1977 by a 7 m (23 ft) masonry tower. The article from the Yantai MSA office has photos of the 1871 and 1915 lighthouses, although it's not clear which is which. Qimu Jiao is the tip of a west-pointing sandy promontory that shelters Longkou Wan; the end of the peninsula was formerly an island (Qimudao) that is now connected to the mainland by a sandy isthmus. The area has become well known as a beach resort, with the lighthouse as a tourist attraction. Located at the tip of the peninsula about 12 km (7.5 mi) west of Longkou. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F3897; NGA 18532.
* Sangdao
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower. The lighthouse is unpainted. In a distant view from the mainland, the tower is to the right of the white hotel; click on the photo for a high-resolution view. Another distant view is available, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. Sangdao is an island about 2 km (1.25 mi) off the mainland and about 13 km (8 mi) northeast of Longkou. Located on the southern tip of the island. Site presumably open, tower closed. Admiralty F3896.8.
Qimujiao Light
Qimujiao Light, Longkou
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Yantai Office photo

Penglai City Lighthouses
*** Laobeishan (2) (Penglai Gang, Penglaitou)
Date unknown (station established 1941). Active; focal plane 90 m (295 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern, gallery, and a large round observation room, apparently attached to a large building. Tower painted white, lantern red. Gordon Snyder's photo is at right, a 2012 photo is available, Wang Ling has a 2011 photo, Shi Tao has a view from the harbor, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. MSA dates this tower to 1952, but that is probably a date when the tower was restored and reactivated. Cable cars transport visitors from the city to a point within walking distance of the lighthouse. Located on heights above the east side of the harbor of Penglai. Site open, observation room open. CN-1456; Admiralty F3895.85; NGA 18558.
* Puzhao Pagoda (Penglai Pagoda)
1868 (the tower may be older). Inactive, but decorative lights are displayed, at least for special occasions. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) hexagonal cylindrical brick tower topped by a pagoda supported by six columns. Eric Niu has a photo, there's a view from below, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Probably built as a watchtower, this historic building is part of the Penglai fortress, which dates to the 11th century. Below the fortress, Penglai has a sheltered "secret" harbor that was a historic naval base; Google also has a satellite view of this area. A light was is said to have been displayed from the tower from 1868 until the approach of World War II. However, to the best of our knowledge this light was never listed on international light lists. The tower was restored in 1958 and is a treasured architectural landmark. Located to the east of the Laobeishan lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.

Laobeishan (Penglai Gang) Light, Penglai, June 2008
photo copyright Gordon Snyder Photography; used by permission

Changdao County (Changshan Islands, Miaodao Islands) Lighthouses
Note: The Changshan Islands lie in a ragged chain across the entrance to the Bohai Gulf north of Penglai, creating a serious hazard for shipping. They are also called the Miaodao (Temple) Islands because of the many Buddhist temples found on them. There are 32 islands in all, ten of them large enough to be inhabited; the total population is about 43,000. The islands are accessible by ferry from Penglai and are popular resort destinations. After being closed to Western visitors for all of the Communist period, the islands were opened to tourism in December 2008.
Beihuangchengdao (3)
1980 (station established 1956). Active; focal plane 171 m (561 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, covered with white tile. An MSA photo is at right, a photo and historical notes (1/4 the way down the page) is available, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a skeletal tower; it was replaced in 1974 by a 5 m (17 ft) concrete tower. This is probably the most important of the gulf island lighthouses. It stands at the northern tip of a small island nearly in the center of the entrance to the Bohai Gulf, about 55 km (35 mi) north of Penglai and 50 km (30 mi) from the tip of the Liaodong Peninsula to the north. Site status unknown. CN-1482; Admiralty F3892.5; NGA 18568.
Tuozidao
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 68 m (223 ft); three white flashes every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) round white concrete tower. A very distant view from the sea is available (click on the photo for enlargement), but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the area. Located on a small island, attached by a causeway to southern tip of the larger island of Tuozidao. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3893.7.
Houjidao (Howki Island)
1882 (British). Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); white flash every 12 s. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to one end of a 1-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse painted black. An MSA photo is at the top of this page, a photo and historical notes (1/3 the way down the page) is available, the lighthouse is barely visible in a distant view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view of the station. This lighthouse was built by the British for the Chinese Maritime Customs Department. The lantern was destroyed during World War II and was replaced when the lighthouse was repaired in 1953. Houji Dao (Rocky Island) is a small island about 30 km (19 mi) north northwest of Penglai. Located on the highest point of the island. Site status unknown. CN-1474; Admiralty F3892; NGA 18556.
Beihuangchengdao Light
Beihuangchengdao Light, Changshan Islands
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Yantai Office photo
Beichangshan (Beichangshandao) (3)
1998 (station established 1951). Active; focal plane 102 m (335 ft); white flash every 10 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment building or keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is red. An MSA photo is at right, a photo and historical notes (1/2 the way down the page) is available, and Bing has a distant satellite view. The original lighthouse was replaced in 1973; the present light is on a new location. Beichangshandao is an inhabited island about 20 km (12.5 mi) north of Penglai, off the north coast of the Shandong Peninsula; the island is connected by a bridge to Chandao itself, the largest island in the chain. Located on the north coast of the island. Site status unknown; the lighthouse is accessible by road but may not be open to the public. CN-1473; Admiralty F3894; NGA 18536.
* Xibeizul
1986. Active; focal plane 27 m (88 ft); white flash every 4 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower, painted white. A photo is available, Jeff Xu has a closeup, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located at the western end of Beichangshandao in what appears to be a park. Site open, tower closed. CN-1472; Admiralty F3894.5.
* Quezui (Quezuijianzi) (2)
2010 (station establshment date unknown). Active; focal plane 75 m (246 ft); white flash every 10 s. 19 m (62 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. The Wenzhou MSA office has a good photo, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was at a much lower level. This new lighthouse was built in part as a tourist attraction and as a symbol for Changdao. A tall Martyr's Monument has been built near the lighthouse. Located at the west point of Changdao itself, the largest island of the archipelago, about 9 km (5.5 mi) north of Penglai. Site status unknown. CN-1459; Admiralty F3895.22; NGA 18559.1.
Daliandao (Danglangdao)
1960. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower, painted white. No photo available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the north end of a small island about 1.6 km (1 mi) west of the Xibeizul light. Accessible only by boat. Site apparently open, tower closed. CN-1471; Admiralty F3895.38.
Lujiaobazi (2)
1976 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 3 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower, painted white. No photo available, and Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the location. Located at the northern tip of an island about 5 km (3 mi) west of the Beichangshan light. Site status unknown. CN-1469; Admiralty F3895.35; NGA 18537.
Beichangshandao Light
Beichangshandao Light, Changshan Islands
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo
Xiaoheishan
1957. Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); red flash every 6 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, although Google has a very distant satellite view. Located at the southwestern end of the same island as the Lujiaobazi light. Site status unknown. CN-1468; Admiralty F3895.3; NGA 18538.
Niutuozi (2)
1976 (station established 1948). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a distant satellite view. Located near the southwestern end of an island about 4 km (2.5 mi) northwest of Changdao. Site status unknown. CN-1466; Admiralty F3895.28; NGA 18539.
Xiaozhushadao
1951. Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5 m (16 ft) round rubblestone tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a distant satellite view. Located atop a tiny island about 5 km (3 mi) west of the larger Dazhushandao (next entry). Site status unknown. CN-1476; Admiralty F3893; NGA 18564.
Dazhushan (Dazhushandao)
1980. Active; focal plane 204.5 m (671 ft); white flash every 8 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete or masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story equipment building. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. MSA's photo appears at right, another photo (next to last photo on the page) is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located atop a small island about 30 km (19 mi) northeast of Penglai. Site status unknown. CN-1475; Admiralty F3893.5; NGA 18560.

Yantai City Lighthouses
Longdongzui
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); white flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This is an important but very poorly known lighthouse. Located on a high promontory about 25 km (15 mi) northwest of Yantai. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3891.
Xiaochangshan (Xiaoshanzi) (2)
1967 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical brick tower rising from a tiny 1-story square brick building. Lighthouse painted white. Gordon Snyder has contributed a photo, a distant view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island off the end of a long, rocky peninsula sheltering the northwest side of Yantai harbor. Accessible only by boat, although there should be a good view from the tip of the peninsula or from arriving ships. Site status unknown. CN-1488; Admiralty F3881; NGA 18588.
Dazushandao Light
Dazhushan Dao Light, Changshan Islands
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo
* Yantai Entrance Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); continuous red light. 35 m (115 ft) slender round tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The tower also carries a diamond-shaped slatted daymark, painted black. A 2009 photo is available, the tower is on the left in a photo of both range lights, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at a street intersection just inside the entrance to the Yantai harbor facilities. Site and tower closed, although it must be possible to see the tower from nearby major streets. CN-1508.19; Admiralty F3882.5, NGA 18587.
* Yantai Entrance Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); continuous red light. 45 m (148 ft) slender round tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The tower also carries a diamond-shaped slatted daymark, painted black. The tower is on the right in a photo of both range lights, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in a neighborhood of apartments west of the Yantai waterfront, 830 m (1/2 mi) west of the rear light; a plaza has been built around the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. CN-1508.2; Admiralty F3882.51, NGA 18587.1.
Yantai West Port Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); quick-flashing red light. 15 m (49 ft) square skeletal tower, painted red, mounted on a large 1-story concrete base. Lighthouse painted red. A 2011 distant view is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the end of a breakwater extending north from the broad main quay of Yantai harbor. Site status unknown. CN-1502.1; Admiralty F3886.5; NGA 18587.5.
Yantai Inner Harbor Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); continuous red light. 30 m (98 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The top of the tower carries a triangular daymark, point up. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the broad main quay of Yantai harbor. Site status unknown. CN-1505; Admiralty F3887, NGA 18586.
Yantai Inner Harbor Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); continuous red light. 39 m (128 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The top of the tower carries a triangular daymark, point down. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located near the base of the broad main quay of Yantai harbor. Site status unknown. CN-1506; Admiralty F3887.1, NGA 18586.1.
Yantai Detached Breakwater North End
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); red flash every 4 s. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower, painted red, mounted on a large 1-story concrete base. Lighthouse painted red. This light is at the left in a distant view of the breakwater, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the north end of the detached east breakwater of Yantai harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. CN-1503; Admiralty F3884; NGA 18576.
Yantai Detached Breakwater South End
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); quick-flashing green light. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower, painted green, mounted on a large 1-story concrete base. Lighthouse painted red. This light is at the right in a distant view of the breakwater, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the south end of the detached east breakwater of Yantai harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. CN-1504; Admiralty F3886; NGA 18580.
*** Yantaishan (Yantai Shan, Tower Hill) (1)
1905. Inactive. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal crenellated stone tower. Built as a watchtower, the original Yantai Tower crowned the hill that looms over the east side of the harbor. A lantern added in 1905 converted the tower to a lighthouse; Huelse has a postcard view showing this lantern. With the lantern now removed, the old tower now serves as a popular observation deck. Ami Susanna has a photo. Located at the base of the modern lighthouse, on the east side. Site and tower open.
Yantaishan Light
Yantaishan Light, Yantai, October 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by felibrilu
**** Yantaishan (Yantai Shan, Tower Hill) (2)
1988 (station established 1905). Active; focal plane 80 m (263 ft); white flash every 9 s. 50 m (164 ft) 12-sided concrete tower with lantern, gallery, and 12-sided observation room. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome red. A photo is above right, a 2002 photo, an excellent 2007 photo, and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Opened to foreign trade in 1861, Yantai was called "Chefoo" during the colonial period; Zhifu is actually the name of an island nearby. The name Yantai means "smoking platform" and refers to watchtowers maintained here in the Ming Dynasty to warn of approaching Japanese pirates. The modern lighthouse is the centerpiece of Yantai Hill Park, which is part of the historic European district. Elevators carry visitors to the observation level. Located atop the hill, which forms a promontory southeast of the harbor. Site open; the tower is open for climbing and is one of the best known attractions of the city. ARLHS PRC-071; CN-1499; Admiralty F3882; NGA 18572.
* Kongtongdao (Kongtong Dao, Chefoo, "Luson") (1)
1867. Inactive since World War II. Huelse has a postcard view of the original "Chefoo" lighthouse, a round stone tower with lantern and gallery. This lighthouse was heavily damaged during World War II. The lowest story of the lighthouse survives, topped by a round concrete tower, much narrower than the original, carrying communications gear. Gordon Snyder has contributed a photo, the Yantai MSA office has a historical article with photos, and Google has a satellite view. The name "Luson," once applied to the lighthouse, is that of Lu Xun, the Commissioner of Customs at the Chefoo (Zhifu) port when construction of the lighthouse began. Located about 75 m (250 ft) west of the new lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
*** Kongtongdao (Kongtong Dao, Chefoo) (4)
1997 (station established 1867). Active; focal plane 78 m (256 ft); white flash every 15 s. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, centered on a round building and carrying a round observation level and a large lantern. Lighthouse covered with white tiles; lantern painted red. Gordon Snyder's photo is at right, a view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. It was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1955 and by a third lighthouse in 1974. Kongtong Dao is an island about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of the Yantai waterfront. About 2 km (1.25 mi) long, the island is protected as the Yantai Kongtongdao Scenic Area. Transportation is available from Yantai. According to Snyder, the lighthouse is "accessible by landing the boat on a remote beach on the north side of the island, walking about 0.5 km up a narrow cement road from the beach, then hiking up 233 steep, stone steps to the tower." Located at the northeastern end of the island. Site open; tower open to the observation level. CN-1497; Admiralty F3878; NGA 18596.

Kongtongdao Light
Kongtongdao Light, Yantai, June 2008
photo copyright Gordon Snyder Photography; used by permission

Weihai Prefecture Lighthouses

Weihai City (Huancui District) Lighthouses
Note: Weihai is a port near the eastern tip of the Shandong Peninsula. In 1898, after Russia occupied Lüshun (Port Arthur) on the other side of the Bohai Gulf, Britain secured a lease of the Weihai area as a competing naval base. The British occupied the territory until 1930; the colony was known as Wei-hai-wei (Weihai Garrison) or sometimes as Port Edward.
Jingzitou (Jingzi Tou) (2)
1975 (station established 1953). Active; focal plane 92 m (302 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern black. An MSA photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Jingzitou is a sharp, narrow promontory projecting northward into the sea about 8 km (5 mi) north of Weihai. Located at the tip of the peninsula. Site open, tower closed. CN-1513; Admiralty F3876; NGA 18600.
Yashidao (Yashi Dao)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green flash every 5 s. 5.5 m (16 ft) round stone tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a rocky reef on the west side of the entrance to Weihai harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1517; Admiralty F3874; NGA 18620.
Qiganzui (Qigan Zui, Flagstaff Point) (3)
1976 (station established 1898). Active; focal plane 23.5 m (77 ft); white flash every 12 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, attached to a 1-story equipment building. Lighthouse painted white. A portfolio of photos and a small photo are available, a photo and historical notes (top of the page) is available, the light is seen in a panoramic view, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse, built by the British for the Chinese Maritime Customs Department, was a short wrought iron tower with a focal plane of 16 m (53 ft). It was destroyed by Japanese naval gunfire in 1945. A skeletal tower replaced it in 1951. It appears that the original keeper's houses of the station may survive; better information is needed. Located in an industrial area on a promontory at the south end of Weihai harbor. Site status unknown. ARLHS PRC-052; CN-1531; Admiralty F3871; NGA 18624.
Liugong (Dahong, Liugongdao)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) round stone tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a rocky shoal off the eastern end of Liugong Dao, a large island that shelters the harbor of Weihai. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3870; NGA 18612.
Liugongdao Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane and light characteristic unknown. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower, colored with red and white horizontal bands. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of a breakwater at the western end of Liugongdao. Site status unknown.
Jingzitou Light
Jingzitou Light, Weihai
PRC Maritime Safety Administration photo
Ridao (Ri Dao)
1953. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 5 m (16 ft) round tower with gallery, painted white. A very distant view is available (click on the photo for magnification; the Liugong light can also be glimpsed on the left), and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a small island in the center of the entrance to Weihai harbor, about 3 km (1.8 mi) south of the Liugong lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1538; Admiralty F3869; NGA 18616.
Zhaobeizui (Zhaobei Zui, Chaopeitsui, Wei-hai-wei)
1891 (British). Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white flash every 8 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with gallery and eight ribs, painted white. This small lighthouse, prefabricated in France by Sauter, Lemonnier & Cie., was installed during the British occupation of Weihai. No photo available, but Huelse has a historic postcard view. Google's satellite view shows heavy construction in the area surrounding the lighthouse, but the station appears to be protected from this development. We don't know if the keeper's house shown in Huelse's view is still standing. The lighthouse was dismantled during the Sino-Japanese War of 1894-95 and then reassembled. Located at the tip of a promontory on the east side of Weihai Bay, about 11 km (7 mi) east southeast of the city. Site status unknown. CN-1539; Admiralty F3868; NGA 18608.

Rongcheng City (Chengshanjiao Area) Lighthouses
Jimingdao (Jiming Dao, Chi-ming Tao) (2?)
1953. Active; focal plane 77 m (253 ft); white flash every 10. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with gallery, adjacent or attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. Tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. Next to the current lighthouse is a shorter stone tower that appears to be an older lighthouse. A very distant view is available, and the light is just visible on the summit of the island in an even more distant view. Google has only a very distant satellite view. Jimingdao (Cock Island) is a small island about 3 km (2 mi) off the north coast of the Chengshan Jiao cape, about 20 km (13 mi) northwest of Jiurongcheng. Located on the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1540; Admiralty F3867; NGA 18634.
Hailudao (Hailu Dao, Hai-lu Tao, Alceste Island) (2?)
1990 (station established 1953). Active; focal plane 71.5 m (235 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower, attached to a small 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted white. The Yantai MSA office has a photo (2/3 the way down the page), a closeup and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was on a skeletal tower, and NGA describes the 1976 round stone tower. Hailudao is a small island about 5 km (3 mi) off the coast and and 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Chengshan Jiao. Located on the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1541; Admiralty F3866; NGA 18636.
** Chengshanjiao (Chengshantou, Shantung Promontory Northeast, Cape Shantung) (4)
1950 (station established 1821). Active; focal plane 60 m (198 ft); white light, 3 s on, 2.5 s off, 3 s on, 11.5 s off. 16 m (52 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. An MSA photo is at right, the Wenzhou MSA office has a fine photo, a 2008 closeup and another photo are available, and Google has a distant satellite view of the site. Chengshanjiao, the easternmost tip of the Shandong Peninsula, was often called "Cape Shantung" by Western navigators during the colonial period. The lighthouse here is a well-known tourist destination. The 1874 lighthouse, built by the British, replaced a 6 m (20 ft) tower built in 1864, but lights had been displayed from masts as early as 1821. The British lighthouse was destroyed during World War II. (Visitors should look for the 1864 tower, which may survive.) The clamshell Fresnel lens of the British lighthouse was stored during the war and is on display at the Qinhuangdao lighthouse in Hebei province. Naturally, the site commands a wide view of the Yellow Sea (Huanghai). Accessible by road. Site open; the tower may also be open but we have no details on this. ARLHS PRC-015; CN-1542; Admiralty F3864; NGA 18640.
Caodao
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 13 m (43 ft) brick tower, painted white. No photo available; Google has a satellite view. Located on an island in the entrance to a small harbor in northern Rongcheng, about 15 km (9 mi) southwest of Chengshan Jiao. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3863.5.
Chengshanjiao Light
Chengshanjiao (Cape Shantung) Light, Rongcheng
(1874 lighthouse shown in inset)
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Yantai Office photo
Jiaye Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 9 m (30 ft) steel post light with gallery, painted with black and red horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on an industrial quay at Lidao, in the lee of the Waizhedao promontory (next entry). Site status unknown. Admiralty F3863.3.
Waizhedao (Lidao)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); white flash every 8 s. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower, painted white. A very distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a wooded promontory at Lidao, about 25 km (15 mi) southwest of Chengshan Jiao. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3863; NGA 18644.
* Haimaozitou (2)
1980 (station established 1963). Active; focal plane 75 m (246 ft); white flash every 12 s. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, adjacent or attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. The Wenzhou MSA Office has posted a good photo, and Google has a good satellite view. This lighthouse marks the northern entrance to Sanggou Wan, a partially sheltered bay at the eastern end of the Shandong Peninsula. Located at the tip of a promontory about 18 km (11 mi) east of Yatou (Rongcheng). Site status unknown, but the lighthouse should be visible from nearby. ARLHS PRC-030; CN-1559; Admiralty F3862; NGA 18648.
Moyedao (Moye Dao, Shantung Promontory Southeast) (2)
1956 (station established 1883). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white flash every 15 s. 27 m (89 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, adjacent or attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse covered with tiles in red and white horizontal bands; lantern painted black. An MSA photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a cast iron tower of very similar size and appearance; Klaus Huelse has a historic postcard view. According to MSA, the lighthouse was destroyed during World War II. This light marks the southeastern corner of the blunt eastern end of the Shandong Peninsula. Located on a sharp promontory near the town of Dazhuang. Site status unknown; the lighthouse appears to be on the grounds of some kind of government institution. ARLHS PRC-042; CN-1561; Admiralty F3860; NGA 18652.
Zhukou
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) round stone tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory south of Shidao. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3859.
Sushandao (Sushan Dao, Staunton Island) (2)
1982 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 116 m (381 ft); white flash every 25 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. No photo available. Google has a distant view of Sushandao, an island about 2 km (1.25 mi) long and 500 m (0.4 mi) wide located about 8 km (5 mi) offshore and 11 km (7 mi) southeast of Jinghaiwei. Located on the highest point of the island. ARLHS PRC-058; Admiralty F3858; NGA 18656.
Fenghuangwei
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 11 m (36 ft) round stone tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island off a sharp promontory about 30 km (19 mi) west of Moyedao. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3857.8.
Moyedao Light
Moyedao Light, Wanglian District, Rongcheng
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wenzhou Office photo

Wendeng City Lighthouse
Wugudun
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 11 m (36 ft) round stone tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a sharp promontory about 14 km (9 mi) southeast of Zekuzhen. Site status unknown. Admiralty F3857.6.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Hebei and Tianjin | South: Southern Shandong

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted March 31, 2008. Checked and revised April 23, 2013. Lighthouses 49. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.