Lighthouses of the Union of the Comoros
The Comoro Islands
are a group of islands in the Mozambique Channel midway between Madagascar
and the African continent. The four major islands are Njazidja (Grande
Comore), Mwali (Mohéli), Nzwani (Anjouan), and Mahoré (Mayotte).
France acquired control over the islands one by one over a long period
between 1841 and 1909, and the islands became a French colony officially
in 1912. Independence was planned for 1978, but in 1975 the Comorian parliament
declared independence unilaterally. Deputies from Mayotte abstained, however,
and Mayotte has remained part of the French community, now as an overseas department. The other three
islands comprise the Union of the Comoros.
The country has three ports: Moroni on Grande
Comore, Fomboni on Mohéli, and Mutsamudu on Anjouan. It appears that each port has its own port authority, which is presumably responsible for navigational aids on its island.
Lighthouses of Mayotte are listed on a separate
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 112.
- General Sources
- World of Lighthouses - Comoros
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Moroni Light, Grande Comore, April 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by islascomores
- Njazidja (Grande Comore) Lighthouses
- * Suadzu Islet Range Front
- Date unknown. Inactive since 2013.
6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical white concrete tower. The two range lights are at the left edge of a 1998 view from the sea, the light is at the bottom of Yasar Hacieyupoglu's aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite
view. Located on an islet, now joined to the mainland by a breakwater, on the waterfront in Moroni. Site open, tower
closed. Admiralty D6904; NGA 32744.
- * Moroni (with Suadzu Islet Range Rear?)
- 1904. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); quick-flashing white light (?).
22 m (75 ft) square cylindrical masonry minaret with a lantern at
the top. Entire building painted white. A 2010 photo is above, Lightphotos.net has a photo, a 2007 closeup photo
and a 2004 view
are available, the light is centered (behind the ship) in Omar Alhakimi's
2009 photo, and Google has a satellite view. A 1998 view from the sea shows the tower with a red light; this is apparently the Suadzu Islet Range Rear Light, listed as a quick-flashing red light. Located on the waterfront in Moroni, the national capital
and principal town of Njazidja (Grande Comore). Site open, tower
closed. General light: ARLHS COM-002; Admiralty D6902; NGA 32752. Range Rear Light: ARLHS COM-003; Admiralty D6904.1; NGA 32748.
Nzwani (Anjouan) Lighthouse
- * Vigie
- 1903. Active; focal plane 84 m (276 ft); quick-flashing white light.
5 m (17 ft) square cylindrical concrete (?) tower, painted with black
and white horizontal bands. No lantern; the light is shown through a
rectangular opening. Originally this was the rear light of a range.
Located on the waterfront of Mutsamudu, on the
northwest coast of Nzwani (Anjouan). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS
COM-004; Admiralty D6882.1; NGA 32732.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: East: Mayotte | West: Mozambique
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted October 30, 2005. Checked and revised August 19, 2015.
Lighthouses: 3. Site copyright 2015 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.