Lighthouses of Russia: Western Crimea

Crimea is a peninsula on the north side of the Black Sea, attached to the mainland by a narrow isthmus. The territory has a long and complicated history. It was annexed to the Russian Empire in 1783. In the Soviet Union it was at first an autonomous republic and later an oblast (province) within the Russian Federation. In 1954 Crimea was transferred from the Russian Federation to the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991 Crimea became part of the newly-independent nation of Ukraine. However, Russia continued to occupy several important military bases in the territory, including the home port of the Black Sea Fleet in Sevastopol'.

In March 2014 Russia annexed Crimea, leaving the Ukrainian coast in two sections: the Bight of Odessa in the west and the northwestern side of the Sea of Azov in the east. The annexation of Crimea has not been accepted by Ukraine or recognized internationally. Important note: The Lighthouse Directory takes no position on any international dispute; our task is to describe lighthouses, not comment on politics. Our descriptions are of the actual situation, whatever it may be.

This page includes lighthouses of the Sevastopol' region and the west coast of the peninsula.

Crimea was annexed to the Russian Federation as the Republic of Crimea, except that Sevastopol' was admitted as a federal city: the same status held by Moscow and by St. Petersburg.

Most of the lighthouses of Crimea were destroyed or heavily damaged during World War II (or the Great Patriotic War, as it is called in Russia). German troops invaded in 1941 and captured all of the peninsula except for some of the highest mountains; Sevastopol' surrendered in July 1942 after a bitter nine-month siege. Soviet troops drove the Germans out in equally heavy fighting in 1944.

Russian lighthouses are owned and operated by the Russian Navy, although some of them have civilian keepers. The Russian word for a lighthouse is mayak (маяк); mys (мыс) is a cape and ostrov (остров) is an island.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume N of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

Sarych Light
Sarych Light, Foros, July 2008
unattributed photo from Geocaching.su

General Sources
Derzhhidrohrafiyu - Lighthouses
Photos and historical information on the Ukrainian State Hydrography web site. (Ukraine continues to consider the Crimean lighthouses as Ukrainian, and there is no comparable Russian reference.)
Online List of Lights - Ukraine
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. (As of July 2017 Trabas follows the Admiralty in retaining Crimean lights under Ukraine.)
Lighthouses in Ukraine
The ARLHS Ukraine listing; photos contributed by Ukrainian amateur radio operators are available for many of the lighthouses. (As of July 2017 ARLHS maintains the Crimean lighthouses with the UKR designation.)
Lighthouses in Crimea
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia. (Wikimedia files photos of Crimean lighthouses under both Ukraine and Russia.)
World of Lighthouses - Crimea
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Mir Mayakov - Photos
Assorted photos of Ukrainian lighthouses. This is the first of three pages; click in the fourth group of links on the right for the others.
Russische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse (Crimean lighthouses are in a separate group a little more than halfway down the page).

City of Sevastopol' Lighthouses

South Coast Lighthouses
Sarych (Mys Sarych)
1911. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) round tapered cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. 1-1/2 story keeper's house painted white with a green roof. A photo appears at the top of this page, Sergey Kosenko has a closeup photo, Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The height of the tower is listed as 10.5 m (35 ft) by NGA, but clearly the lighthouse is taller than that. Located at the southernmost point of the Crimean peninsula, the lighthouse was abandoned during the early Soviet period (1920s) because of its remote location. Its remoteness was an asset during World War II, when German troops never occupied the area. Located on Mys (Cape) Sarych, about 40 km (25 mi) southeast of Sevastopol'. Site and tower closed; this was one of several light stations occupied by Russian Navy personnel during Ukraine's administration of Crimea. ARLHS UKR-015; Admiralty N5314; NGA 18336.
Balaklavskiy Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; continuous red light. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black. The tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Vadim Anokhim has a distant view, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The front light is on a much shorter skeletal tower. Located atop a steep ridge inside the entrance to Balaklava Bay, a fjord about 15 km (9 mi) due south of Sevastopol'. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-061; Admiralty N5312.1.
Kayabash (Kayabashi)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 301 m (988 ft); white flash every 4 s. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted black. The tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. A 2011 photo is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located atop a spectacular cliff about 5 km (3 mi) east of Mys Fiolent. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-067; Admiralty N5310; NGA 18326.
Mys Fiolent (1)
Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 5 m (17 ft) round concrete tower. A closeup photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a high promontory about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Mys Khersonesskiy. Site status unknown.
Mys Fiolent (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 168 m (551 ft); red flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery and a double cone daymark surrounding the upper part of the tower. Lighthouse painted white with a black vertical stripe on the cones. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. NGA lists the earlier light, a small skeletal tower. Located on a high promontory about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Mys Khersonesskiy. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-062; Admiralty N5309; NGA 18324.
** Khersonesskiy (Mys Khersonesskiy, Chersones, Sevastopol') (4)
1951 (station established 1816). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, 3 s on, 3 s off, 3 s on, 6 s off, 3 s on, 3 s off, 6 s on, 3 s off, 6 s on, 18 s off. 36 m (118 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. A 4th (?) order Fresnel lens is in use. Dmitriy Metelkin's photo is at right, Vadim Storobogatov has a photo, ARLHS has a photo, Wikimedia has Stas Klevtsov's distant view, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Alexey Boldyrev has a 2017 street view, and Google has a good satellite view. This historic lighthouse stands on the southwest corner of the Crimean peninsula. The original lighthouse was a conical stone tower. It was replaced in 1929 by a lighthouse built from the same plans as the Tarkhankut Light (see below). Almost completely destroyed during World War II, it was replaced by a wood tripod tower until a copy of the 1929 lighthouse could be built. The tower is greatly endangered by rising sea level, and a stone berm and semicircular sea wall have been built to protect it. The unusual flash pattern, the Morse code "SW" for Sevastopol', is a traditional welcome-home for Russian sailors. In August 2008, a diplomatic spat arose after Ukrainian officials tried to seize equipment at the lighthouse and were instead detained by Russian Navy staff. Located at the tip of the peninsula about 15 km (9 mi) west of Sevastopol'. Site open, tower apparently open for climbing but no schedule is available. ARLHS UKR-022; Admiralty N5308; NGA 18320.
Khersonesskiy Light
Khersonesskiy Light, Sevastopol', August 2010
photo copyright Dimitriy Metelkin; used by permission

Sevastopol' Harbor Lighthouses
Note: Sevastopol' Bay is an estuary at the mouth of the Chorna River. The estuary is about 8 km (5 mi) long, providing a beautiful protected harbor that is the traditional home of Russia's Black Sea Fleet. There are additional harbor basins in shorter estuaries along the north coast of the Khersonesskiy Peninsula, southwest of the main harbor. The city itself has a population of about 375,000.
Kamyshovaya Bay (Sevastopol' Fishing Harbor) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line, lantern and gallery painted red. Valeriy Sudakov has a closeup photo, another closeup is available, and Google has a good satellite view. Kamyshovaya Bay is a harbor about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of Cape Khersonesskiy. Located at the south end of the harbor. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-064; Admiralty N5304.7; NGA 18280.
Kamyshovaya Bay (Sevastopol' Fishing Harbor) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a vertical stripe on the range line, lantern and gallery painted black. Lightphotos.net has a photo, the light is in the background of Valeriy Sudakov's photo of the two range lights, and Google has a good satellite view. Located about 250 m (800 ft) south southeast of the front light. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-065; Admiralty N5304.71; NGA 18281.
* Kruglaya Bay East
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); yellow flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower painted white with a red horizontal band. Lightphotos.net has a photo, Andrey Vorob'yev has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the entrance to Kruglaya Bay. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-072; Admiralty N5304.6.
* Streletskiy Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane and light pattern unknown. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted red. The tower also carries a large slatted daymark. A photo, a second photo and a panoramic view are available, but the tower is hard to find in Google's satellite view. This range guides vessels entering Strelets Bay, a narrow harbor west of Sevastopol'. Located on the west side of the harbor, near the south end. Site status unknown, but the lighthouse can be seen from a nearby street. ARLHS UKR-081; Admiralty N5304.
* Lukul'skiy (Pukupp'skiy) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; continuous red light. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted black. Google has a photo, a street view by Yuriy Filatov, and a satellite view. This light stands close to St. Vladimir's Cathedral, built in honor of the Kievan prince Vladimir who converted to Christianity here in 988 CE. Located on a headland about 1 km (0.6 mi) southwest of the entrance to Sevastopol' Bay. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-073; Admiralty N5303.
* Lukul'skiy (Pukupp'skiy) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; green light occulting once every 2.3 s. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Clearly this is not a harbor basin entrance range; it appears to be an approach range for vessels arriving in Sevastopol' from the north. Located about 3 km (1.8 mi) south of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-074; Admiralty N5303.1.
* Inkermanskiy (Sevastopol' South) Range Front (2)
1946 (station established 1821). Active; focal plane 91 m (299 ft); continuous red light. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a square stone keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. Lightphotos.net has a closeup photo, a distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. This range shines a powerful pair of lights, white above red, down the full length of Sevastopol' Bay. The original lighthouse was repaired after being damaged during the Crimean War (1853-56), but it was completely destroyed during World War II. The present lighthouse is a replica of the original. Inkerman is a city at the east end of Sevastopol' Bay; it was the site of a major battle of the Crimean War in November 1854. Located on the heights on the north side of Sevastopol' Bay, northwest of the city. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-063; Admiralty N5302; NGA 18272.
Inkermanskiy (Sevastopol' South) Range Rear (2)
1946 (station established 1821). Active; focal plane 196 m (643 ft); continuous white light. 10 m (33 ft) square stone building, painted white. A photo is at right, Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The entire staff of this lighthouse, 28 men, were killed by a direct hit in a German air raid during World War II. The present lighthouse is a copy of the original. Located on a mountaintop behind the city of Sevastopol' Bay, about 3 km (1.8 mi) east of the front light. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-031; Admiralty N5302.1; NGA 18273.


Inkermanskiy Range Rear Light, Sevastopol'
anonymous Wikimapia Creative Commons photo

Sevastopol' Severnovo Mola (North Mole) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1914). Active; focal plane unknown; quick-flashing red light. Round cylindrical tower with gallery, mounted on an octagonal base. Lighthouse painted white with one narrow red horizontal band. Trabas has the closeup by Douglas Cameron seen at right, Wayne Hopkins has a 2008 closeup, Vadim Storobogatov has a photo, and the tower can be seen in a Google satellite view. The entrance to the harbor of Sevastopol' is flanked by two breakwater moles, but only the north mole has a light. This light is at the end of the north mole, which extends from the Konstantinovskiy fort on the north shore (a photo shows this fort behind the lighthouse). Site and tower closed. ARLHS UKR-079; Admiralty N5302.7.

West Coast Lighthouses
Lyubimovka
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; white flash every 5 s. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery, painted black. The tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Oleksa Haiworonski has a photo, and Google has a satellite view . Located on a steep bluff about 8 km (5 mi) north of the Sevastopol' entrance. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-075; Admiralty N5300; NGA 18270.
Mys Marhupolo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red flash every 3 s. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) triangular skeletal tower mounted atop a drum-shaped round tower. A closeup photo and a second photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a steep bluff about 15 km (9 mi) north of the Sevastopol' entrance. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5293; NGA 18269.
Sevastopol North Mole Light
Sevastopol' North Mole Light, Sevastopol'
photo copyright Douglas Cameron; used by permission
* Lukull (Mys Lukull, Lukullskiy)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); white flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) skeletal tower, mounted on a concrete base. Lighthouse painted red. The seaward side carries a large slatted daymark, painted white with a black vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on Mys (Cape) Lukull, a promontory about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of Adriivka and 25 km (15 mi) north of Sevastopol'. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-135; Admiralty N5288; NGA 18268.

Republic of Crimea: West Coast Lighthouses

Saky District (Yevpatoria Area) Lighthouses
Solodunova
1986. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); two red flashes every 12 s. 22 m (72 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Radio operator US4LGW has a photo, Jaydee Bassman has a beach view, a closeup photo is available, Feliks Melnichenko has a distant street view, and Google has a satellite view. This new lighthouse was named for Rear Admiral Alexander Viktorovich Solodunov, the chief of the hydrology section of the Black Sea Fleet from 1940 to 1952; he was responsible for rebuilding Crimea's lighthouses after the war. Located on a barrier beach about 5 km (3 mi) west of Saky and 12 km (7.5 mi) east of Yevpatoriya. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-051; UA-1522; Admiralty N5285; NGA 18258.
* Mys Karantinnyy (2)
1967 (station established 1897). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); red light, 0.8 s on, 0.8 s off. 21 m (69 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery, painted red. The upper 2/3 of the tower carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Sergey Gezlev has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The name of the lighthouse means "Cape Quarantine." The original lighthouse was destroyed in World War II. Located on the beach at a promontory in downtown Yevpatoriya. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-066; Admiralty N5284; NGA 18255.
* Yevpatoriya (Mys Yevpatoriyskiy) (3)
1970 (station established 1861). Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 52 m (171 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern is gray metallic. 1-story keeper's house or administration building. A photo is at right, ARLHS has a photo, a 2010 photo and a more distant 2011 photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. This major lighthouse, the tallest lighthouse on the Black Sea, is similar in design to lighthouses at Berdyansk on the Ukrainian Sea of Azov and at Gelendzhik on the Russian Eastern Black Sea. The original lighthouse was a cast iron skeletal tower prefabricated in London. Despite many complaints about its height and the difficulty of maintaining it in the winter, it survived until World War II. It was replaced in 1955 by a 21 m (69 ft) octagonal brick tower. Located on a prominent point of land about 9 km (5.5 mi) southwest of the small seaport of Yevpatoriya. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-017; Admiralty N5282; NGA 18252.
* Vitino (Nitino, Vityne) (1 and 2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 4 s. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted black. ARLHS has a photo, a 2008 photo and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. An older skeletal tower survives next to the present light; Sergey Oreshkin has a photo showing both towers clearly. Located near Nitino, about 10 km (6 mi) northwest of Cape Yevpatoriya. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-117; Admiralty N5281; NGA 18250.
* Popovka
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 14 m (46 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery, mounted on a square 1-story equipment building. Tower painted black, equipment building white. The tower also carries a horizontally slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Radio operator US4LGW has a good photo, ARLHS has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located just off the beach near Mirnyy, about 25 km (15 mi) west of Yevpatoriya. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-132; Admiralty N5280; NGA 18248.
Yevpatoriya Light
Yevpatoriya Light, Yevpatoriya, January 2005
photo copyright Protsko; used by permission
* Ozero Donuzlav South Entrance
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 17 m (56 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) rectangular concrete tower rising from a 1-story building and carrying a harbor control room and two galleries. Igor Artasevych has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Ozero Donuslav (Donuslav Bay) is an estuary on the border between the Chornomorske and the Saky Districts. The entrance to the lagoon is a narrow pass through a sandy barrier. Located on the south side of the entrance to Donuslav Bay. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-136; Admiralty N5279.85.
Ozero Donuslav Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; white light occulting once every 5 s. Approx. 27 m (89 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery, painted black. The upper portion of the tower carries a slatted daymark painted black with awhite vertical stripe. Salech Hcelas has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The range guides vessels through the entrance to Donuslav Bay. Located on the south side of Donuslav Bay about 4 km (2.5 mi) southeast of Novoozerne. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-142; Admiralty N5279.5; NGA 18249.

Chornomorske District (Cape Tarkhankut Area) Lighthouses
Ozero Donuslav Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; white light occulting once every 5 s. Approx. 27 m (89 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery, painted black. The front of the tower carries a slatted daymark painted orange. Rosti Torth has a 2012 photo, Salech Hcelas has a view from across the bay, ARLHS has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of Donuslav Bay opposite the industrial town of Novoozerne. Site status unknown. ARLHS UKR-141; Admiralty N5279.51; NGA 18249.1.
* Ozero Donuzlav North Entrance
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 9 m (30 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 6 m (20 ft) square skeletal tower mounted on a 1-story white concrete building. Vlas Vladov has a photo showing both entrance lights, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to Donuslav Bay. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5279.8.
Mys Uret
Date unknown. Active (?). Approx. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted black. The tower carries a dilapidated slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Rosti Torth has a 2012 photo, and Google has a satellite view. We need information on this light. Located on a promontory on the south side of the Tarkhankut Peninsula, about 16 km (10 mi) east of the Tarkhankut lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Not listed by the Admiralty.
* Tarkhankut (Mys Tarkhankut)
Date unknown (station established 1817). Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); two long (1.5 s) white flashes every 7.5 s. 33 m (108 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Nearby buildings may be a coast guard or coastal defense station. A photo is at right, a fine closeup photo is available, Andrey Okonetchnikov has a photo, a 2005 photo and a good closeup are available, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse stands at the western corner of the diamond-shaped Crimean peninsula, a dangerous headland that sailors called Chortovim Misom (Devil's Cape). The light is built from the same plans as the Khersonesskiy Light in Sevastopol' (see above). Due to its remote location it escaped major damage during World War II. Located on the southern point of Mys (Cape) Tarkhankut, about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of Olenivka. Site status unknown, but clearly the lighthouse can be seen from nearby. ARLHS UKR-016; Admiralty N5278; NGA 18244.
* Tarkhankut North
Date unknown. Inactive and abandoned. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) round tower, painted black with one white horizontal band. Oleksa Haiworonski has a photo, a second photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a bluff on the northern point of Cape Tarkhankut, about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Olenivka. Site open, tower closed.
* Chornomorske West
Date unknown. Inactive and abandoned. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery, painted white with two narrow black horizontal bands. Aleksandr Dygas has a photo, a closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a bluff about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of the Chornomorske lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
* Novosel'skov Range Front (Chornomorske)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red flash every 1.5 s. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical white concrete, the upper portion surrounded by a large white daymark structure carrying a black vertical stripe on the range line. Sergey Kovalev has a closeup photo, Aleksandr Semizhenko has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a bluff facing Uzkaya Bay, the entrance to Chornomorske. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5274.
Tarkhankut Light
Tarkhankut Light, Olenivka, August 2009
Wikimedia public domain photo by Kosun
Novosel'skov Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red light, characteristic unknown. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical white concrete, the upper portion surrounded by a large white daymark structure carrying a black vertical stripe on the range line. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located in a field 3.3 km (2.1 mi) southeast of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5274.1.
* [Ozero Panskoye Range Front]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); one long red flash every 6 s. 13 m (43 ft) post light carrying a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Rosti Torth has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Ozero Panskoye is an elliptical lagoon about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of Chornomorske. The lagoon has been put into service as a harbor of refuge and staging area for offshore oil drilling in the Black Sea. The range guides vessels through the narrow entrance to the lagoon. Located beside a highway about 300 m (1000 ft) south of the shore of the lagoon. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5273.5.
Ozero Panskoye Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); one long red flash every 6 s. 18 m (59 ft) square skeletal tower. The lighthouse carries a slatted daymark, painted white with a black vertical stripe, as well as a white hexagonal topmark. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located in a farm field about 700 m (2300 ft) south of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty N5273.51.
* Yarylgasats'kyy Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 23 m (75 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted black and carrying a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Grigory Kazimirovich has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. This is the entrance range for Yarylhachs'ka (Yarylgasats'kyy) Bay. Located in Mizhvodne, on the east side of the bay. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N5273.31.
* Mys Chernyy (Mizhvodne)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; white flash every 6 s. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery and a double cone daymark surrounding the upper part of the tower. Lighthouse painted white; the light is on a short mast painted red. Rosti Torth has a 2012 closeup, Grigory Kazimirovich has a similar photo, ARLHS has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the north side of the entrance to the bay of Mizhvodne. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-134; Admiralty N5273.

Rozdolne District Lighthouses
* [Isaycheva (Isaychava)]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); one long white flash every 5 s. 11 m (36 ft) post painted with orange and white horizontal bands. ARLHS has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a headland near Sjeverne. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS UKR-139; Admiralty N5272; NGA 18220.
Mys Peschanyy (Bakalskoe Spit)
Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted black. A view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. The Bakalskoe Spit projects northward into the Karkinyts'ka Bay west of Avrora. Located near the end of the spit. Probably accessible by 4WD. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty N5270.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Ukraine: Dnipro Basin | East: Eastern Crimea

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 19, 2007. Checked and revised July 22, 2017. Lighthouses: 38. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.