Lighthouses of Eastern Cuba

The largest island of the West Indies, Cuba was a Spanish colony until it was conquered by the U.S. forces during the Spanish-American War of 1898; the U.S. occupation ended officially in 1902. Nineteenth century Cuban lighthouses therefore have Spanish designs, similar to those used in Puerto Rico and the Philippines. One surviving lighthouse, Cayo Jutías, is known to have been built under the U.S. occupation.

This page includes lighthouses of the eastern half of the island, from Sancti Spiritus Province eastward. There's another page for Western Cuba.

Due to longstanding political difficulties between Cuba and the U.S., American tourists had practically no access to these lighthouses for more than 50 years. This is changing now that the two countries have resumed contacts, but it is still true that most of the information available on the Internet has been posted by European or Canadian visitors or by Cuban tourist agencies.

Many Cuban lighthouses are not automated, and keepers are on site at most locations. Some of the stations are staffed by civilian keepers, but some are tightly restricted military posts. In general, the information on the Internet indicates that the major lighthouses, at least, are well maintained.

More information is needed on these lighthouses. If you have information or photos you are willing to share, please contact me.

Aids to navigation in Cuba are maintained by the Ayuda a la Navegación division of Grupo Empresarial Geocuba. The Spanish word for a lighthouse is faro.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CU numbers are from the Cuban light list; it is not available online but many numbers appear in the Admiralty's Notice to Mariners of 2012 Week 45. Admiralty numbers are from Volume J of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General sources
Los Faros de Cuba - Part I
and Part II
Australian lighthouse researcher and author Garry Searle wrote this report in 2005 for the Bulletin of Lighthouses of Australia; we owe special thanks to him for permission to use his photos.
Online List of Lights - Cuba
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Lighthouses in Cuba
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
Leuchttürme in Kuba
Photos posted by Andreas Köhler.
World of Lighthouses - Cuba
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Phares d'Amérique
Photos posted by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller on their Phares du Monde web site.
Leuchttürme Mittelamerikas und der Karibik auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Lighthouses of the Bahamas and the West Indies
Historic postcard views posted by Michel Forand.

Morro Santiago de Cuba Light, December 2013
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Talavan
Sancti Spíritus Province North Coast Lighthouse
Cayo Caimán Grande de Santa Maria (2)
1955 (station established 1909). Active; focal plane 48 m (158 ft); white flash every 5 s. 32 m (105 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands; the lantern is silvery metallic. David Allester's photo is at right, Trabas has a very distant view from the sea by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Bing has a good satellite view of the station. The original lighthouse was one of the siblings of the Cayo Jutías light (see above); Forand has a historic photo showing an early stage in its construction. The lighthouse was built by Julio Perez-Arocha; according to his daughter Ana, it was prefabricated in France and required a year to assemble. The surrounding area is protected as a national park. This lighthouse is located on a tiny cay about 65 km (40 mi) west of Cayo Coco, north of Bahía Buena Vista. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown, although the lighthouse can be viewed from the water. ARLHS CUB-020; CU-0325; Admiralty J4916; NGA 12780.

Ciego de Ávila Province North Coast Lighthouses
Cayo Jaula
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 10 s. 18 m (59 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on an islet on the reef about 4 km (2.5 mi) off the northwest coast of Cayo Coco, a large island off the north coast of Ciego de Ávila province. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. CU-0326; Admiralty J4917; NGA 12788.
Faro Caimán Grande de Santa Maria
Caimán Grande de Santa Maria Light, Sancti Spíritus, May 2004
photo copyright David Allester; used by permission
*** Cayo Paredón Grande (Faro Diego Velázquez)
1859 (Antonio Montenegro). Active; focal plane 48 m (158 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 40 m (131 ft) 16-sided cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted in a checkered black and yellow pattern; base painted white; lantern silver. Fresnel lens in use. Three 1-story keeper's quarters. A photo is at right, Joaquin Rodriguez Portal has a 2011 photo, Capt. Hubert Hall has contributed two additional photos, Derek Blackadder has a portfolio of photos from a November 2007 visit, Trabas has a distant view by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has a satellite view. Like other Cuban lighthouses, this tower was formerly painted all white. The lighthouse has been named for Diego Velázquez, who first explored the islands off Cuba's north coast in 1514. Located on a small island off the north side of Cayo Romano. Bridges and causeways connect the cay to Cayo Romano, Cayo Coco, and the mainland. The Cayo Coco/Romano area is famous for its birdlife, especially flamingos. Site open, tower open by arrangement with the keepers. ARLHS CUB-010; CU-0327; Admiralty J4918; NGA 12800.

Camagüey Province North Coast Lighthouses
Cayo Confites
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 7.5 s. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an islet on the reef about 12 km (7.5 mi) north of Cayo Guajaba, a large island northeast of Esmeralda in the Jardines del Rey Archipelago. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. CU-0328; Admiralty J4922; NGA 12804.
** Punta Maternillos (Faro de Colón)
1850. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); white flash every 15 s. 52 m (171 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white, adjacent to a 1-story keeper's quarters complex. A 2011 aerial photo is below right, Belén Menendez Solar has a photo, a 2009 photo and a 2010 closeup are available, and Google has a good satellite view. This is Cuba's tallest lighthouse. Named for Christopher Columbus (Cristóbal Colón in Spanish), the light guards the entrance to Nuevitas, the second most important port of Cuba's north coast after Havana. Located on the beach at the end of a long spit on the north side of Cayo Sabinal, about 20 km (13 mi) north of Nuevitas. Accessible by road. Site and tower reported open. ARLHS CUB-031; CU-0329; Admiralty J4926; NGA 12808.

Cayo Paredon Grande Light, Ciego de Ávila, May 2011
Panoramio photo copyirght snirr; permission requested
Nuevitas (Punta Prácticos) (4?)
Date unknown (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) white pyramidal concrete tower. Jean-Pierre Leblanc has a photo, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The original light was shown from a mast mounted on the keeper's house. It was replaced in 1908 and again in 1928; it is not known if anything survives of earlier lights at this historic station. Located in La Boca, on the east side of the entrance to the narrow passage at the eastern end of Cayo Sabinal, leading to Nuevitas. Site status unknown. CU-0330; Admiralty J4928; NGA 12812.

Las Tunas Province Lighthouses
Punta Roma
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 12 s. 10 m (33 ft) round white concrete tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the entrance to the Bahía de Manatí. Site status unknown. CU-0389; Admiralty J4942; NGA 12872.
Punta Mastelero (Puerto Padre) (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 8 s. 10 m (33 ft) tower. The Admiralty describes this light as a white round metal tower with "balcony," and NGA describes it as a white conical truncated tower. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The original light was on a mast next to a keeper's house; no trace of the house survives. Located on the west side of the narrow entrance to the Bahía de Puerto Padre. Site status unknown. CU-0399; Admiralty J4944; NGA 12884.
Faro Colón
Faro de Colón (Punta Maternillos Light), Nuevitas, October 2011
Televisión Camagüey photo by Orestes G. Casanova
Punta Piedra del Mangle (Punta Mangles) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1930). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 10 s. 18 m (59 ft) square skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. Located on a promontory of the mainland about 30 km (19 mi) northwest of Gibara. Site status unknown. CU-0423; Admiralty J4946; NGA 12892.

Holguín Province Lighthouses
Punta Rasa (Gibara)
Date unknown (station established 1896). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white flash every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Lightphotos.net has a photo, a closeup photo is available, Emanuele Blicchi has a sunrise photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse marks the west side of the entrance to Gibara in Holguín province. Located on a cape about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of Gibara. Site status unknown, but the lighthouse is visible from a nearby road. ARLHS CUB-033; CU-0424; Admiralty J4948; NGA 12894.
Puerto de Vita (Puerto Sama, Punta Barlovento) (3)
Date unknown (station established 1908). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 10 s. 31 m (101 ft) round cylindrical tower, probably concrete, with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white. Anne Philpot has contributed a good photo, Köhler has a very distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was on a mast; it was replaced by a skeletal tower sometime after 1920. Puerto de Vita is a port about 30 km (20 mi) west of Cabo Lucrecia in Holguín province; it is a common port of entry for yachts arriving in Cuba from the east. Located on a headland on the east side of the entrance. Site status unknown. ARLHS CUB-027; CU-0426; Admiralty J4952; NGA 12900.
**** Cabo Lucrecia (Punta Lucrecia, Faro Serrano) (2)
1868 (Restituto Blancafort) (station established 1861). Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white flash every 5 s. 37 m (121 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery on an octagonal stone base. 1-story keepers quarters. Lighthouse painted white. Anne Philpot's photo is at right, a 2008 closeup and another 2008 photo are available, and Bing has a good satellite view. This is a very well preserved example of a nineteenth century Spanish lighthouse. It is a well-known tourist attraction, and the keeper's house contains a small museum. Located on the cape, northwest of Banes in Holguín province. Site and tower open. ARLHS CUB-014; CU-0457; Admiralty J4958; NGA 12912.
Playa Caracolillo (Bahía de Banes)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 8 s. 10 m (33 ft) tower. The Admiralty describes this light as a white round metal tower with "balcony," and NGA describes it as a white conical truncated tower. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on the south side of the very narrow entrance to the Bahía de Banes. Site status unknown. CU-0458; Admiralty J4960; NGA 12916.
Faro de Cabo Lucrecia
Cabo Lucrecia Light, Banes
photo copyright Anne Philpot; used by permission
Punta Mayarí (Bahía de Nipe) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 6 s. 31 m (102 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery. Kelly Anne Loughery has contributed a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the entrance to the Bahía de Nipe northeast of Mayari. Site status unknown. ARLHS CUB-038; CU-0477; Admiralty J4962; NGA 12920.
Punta Liberal (Cayo Saetía)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower, colored with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a headland of Cayo Saetía, which is not a small cay but a relatively large island separating the Bahía de Levisa from the Atlantic. Site status unknown. CU-0513; Admiralty J4975; NGA 12948.
Cayo Moa Grande (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 10 s. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The previous light (before 1940) was on a 33 m (108 ft) skeletal tower. Located on a barrier island about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of Moa. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CU-0570; Admiralty J5012; NGA 12980.
Punta Guarico
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 6 s. 10 m (33 ft) white tower. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a low, forested headland about 25 km (15 mi) east southeast of Cayo Moa Grande. Site status unknown. Admiralty J5015.5; NGA 12996.

Guantánamo Province (Easternmost Cuba) Lighthouses
* Baracoa (Bahía de Baracoa, Punta Rama) (6)
2017 (station established 1870). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); yellow flash every 6 s. 17 m (56 ft) white fiberglass tower. No photo available, and the lighthouse is too new to appear in Google's satellite view. Formerly this light was mounted on a short mast atop a 4-story concrete building. Trabas has a photo by Alfonso Biescas Vignau, Samuel Gamez has a May 2010 photo, and another photo is available. The building seemed quite dilapidated, and it was destroyed by Tropical Storm Isaac in August 2012. The light was then moved temporarily to a small fiberglass tower on a headland about 3 km (2 mi) east of town. The original light was shown from a mast mounted on the keeper's house. In 1906 it was replaced by an 11 m (36 ft) skeletal tower; this was replaced by a second skeletal tower around 1930. In 1956 the skeletal tower was replaced by a shorter metal tower. The light on the concrete building appeared to date from the 1960s. Located on the waterfront at the southern entrance to the harbor of Baracoa. Site open, tower closed. CU-0596; Admiralty J5016; NGA 13000.
** Punta Maisí
1862 (Mariano Moreno). Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white flash every 5 s. 31 m (102 ft) round stone tower with lantern and double gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. Several 1-story keeper's houses and other light station buildings; this is a staffed station. The photo at right is from the province's official publication Venceramos, Iván Martínez Herrera has a 2011 photo, a closeup photo is available, Trabas has a view from the sea by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the extreme eastern tip of the island commanding a view of the Windward Passage. Accessible by road from Baracoa. Site open, tower open by arrangement with the keepers. ARLHS CUB-030; CU-0599; Admiralty J5018; NGA 13008.
Faro de Punta Maisí
Punta Maisí Light, Baracoa, June 2012
Guantánamo Province photo
Punta Caleta
Date unknown (station established 1930). Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a prominent cape about 25 km (15 mi) southwest of Punta Maisí. Site status unknown. ARLHS CUB-039; CU-0602; Admiralty J5020; NGA 13012.

Guantánamo Bay U.S. Naval Base Lighthouses
Note: The United States administers Guantánamo Bay under the terms of the 1903 Cuban-American Treaty, which provided for a perpetual lease of the property to the U.S. for the purpose of maintaining a naval station. The current government of Cuba regards the treaty as invalid, since the new nation was in no position to negotiate with the U.S. on equal terms in 1903. However, no change in the U.S. ownership is likely without considerable change in the relationship between the two countries.
* Windward Point (Punta Barlovento) (1)
1904 (U.S.). Inactive since 1955 (an unofficial light, installed in 1988, was extinguished in 2015). 18 m (60 ft) round cylindrical steel tower with six buttresses, lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, except the lantern roof is gray. This lighthouse, built and maintained by the U.S., is located on the U.S. Naval Base at Guantánamo. The original 1-story wood keeper's quarters houses the historical collection for the naval base. Kraig Anderson has a page for the lighthouse, Michael Ortiz has a photo, the U.S. Coast Guard has a 1919 photo, Lighthouse Digest has a March 2006 feature article on the lighthouse, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Forand has a postcard photo of the station, and a Google satellite view is available. A temporary light may have been displayed here in 1899. The active beacon was moved in 1955 to a skeletal tower atop the hill behind the point (focal plane 103 m (377 ft); white flash every 5 s). Google has a satellite view of the new light. In January 2010 it was reported that the lighthouse was seriously deteriorated and might have to be demolished. Based on this report, the lighthouse was placed on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List. In 2015, with the lighthouse in advanced decay, engineers were hired to report on how it might be saved. Based on this report a full restoration of the lighthouse and keeper's house was carried out in 2016-17. The house is now a historical center, and permission has been requested to reopen the light tower to visitors. Located at the eastern entrance to Guantánamo Bay. Site open, keeper's quarters open Saturdays and Sunday, tower closed (may reopen later in 2017). Owner: U.S. Naval Base Guantánamo Bay. Site manager: Chief Petty Officers Association Heritage Committee.  ARLHS GTM-001; USCG 3-33370; Admiralty J5024; NGA 13020.
Windward Point Light
Windward Point (Punta Barloventa) Light, Guantánamo Bay, 2003
photo copyright IT2 Paul W. Nelson, U.S. Navy Reserve; used by permission
Hicacal Beach
Date unknown (U.S.). Active; focal plane 24.5 m (80 ft); white flash every 2.5 s. Approx. 21 m (69 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The tower carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a white vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. It appears that this light was originally the rear light of an entrance range for Guantánamo Bay, but the range has been discontinued. Forand has a postcard view of an early range light that must have been nearby. Located on a sandy point on the west side of Guantánamo Bay. Site and tower closed. USCG 3-33380; Admiralty J5026.1; NGA 13028.

Santiago de Cuba Province Lighthouses
* Morro Santiago de Cuba (3)
1923 (station established 1842). Active; focal plane 82 m (269 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 18 m (60 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern silver. 2nd order Fresnel lens in use. A 2013 photo is at the top of this page, Jan Veen has a good photo, Köhler has a photo, Guyomard and Carceller have several photos by Christian Penet, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Luis Pires has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. The orginal lighthouse was a 10 m (33 ft) octagonal cast iron tower prefabricated in New York; Forand has a historic postcard view. The lighthouse was damaged during the Spanish-American War, but U.S. authorities repaired it in 1899. The present tower was completed in 1914, but due to the disruptions caused by World War I its optical equipment was not installed until 1923. In the interim the light was displayed from a wood skeletal tower. Founded in 1514, Santiago de Cuba was the island's capital during the 16th century and the base from which Spain explored and conquered the Americas. The light station is a short distance east of the city's 17th century fortress, the Castillo de San Pedro de la Roca, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Located on a headland about 1 km (0.6 mi) east of the Santiago de Cuba harbor entrance. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CUB-026; CU-0638; Admiralty J5046; NGA 13112.
Aserradero
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); white flash every 19 s. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The tower appears to be mounted on a concrete base. Located on a high bluff about 13 km (8 mi) west of the entrance to Santiago de Cuba. Site status unknown. CU-0665; Admiralty J5048; NGA 13154.

Granma Province Lighthouses
** Cabo Cruz
1871. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white flash every 5 s. 32 m (105 ft) round masonry tower, unpainted white stone. 1-story stone keeper's quarters. Anne Philpot's photo is at right, another good closeup photo is available, Raul Gallardo Alvarado has a 2014 photo, Alessandro Pilotto has a 2008 photo, Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Huelse has a historic postcard view, but a cloud blocks Bing's satellite view. (Remarkably, an almost identical cloud blocks Google's satellite view.) This lighthouse marks the southwestern tip of Granma province and the western end of the Sierra Maestra range, about 110 km (70 mi) north of Jamaica. It was in this area that Fidel Castro and his guerrillas landed in 1956. The photos indicate this lighthouse is very close to the beach; it may be endangered by beach erosion. Located at the end of Cuban highway 4, about 1.5 km (1 mi) east of the point of the cape. Site open, tower probably open. Site manager: Parque Nacional Desembarco del Granma. ARLHS CUB-016; CU-0679; Admiralty J5054; NGA 13172.
Cayo Perla (Manzanillo) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 9 s. 9.5 m (29 ft) square skeletal tower mounted on a platform supprted by piles. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The original light was on a mast. There may be ruins of a keeper's house on the cay. Located off the south side of a small cay about 10 km (6 mi) west of Manzanillo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. CU-0719; Admiralty J5063; NGA 13204.

Camagüey Province South Coast Lighthouses
Note: Named by Columbus, the Jardines de la Reina ("Gardens of the Queen") form an archipelago of more than 600 cays and small islands stretching parallel to Cuba's southeastern coast in Camagüey and Ciego de Ávila provinces. The islands are all included in the Parque Nacional Jardines de la Reina, Cuba's largest nature reserve. The shallow sound between the islands and the mainland is called to Golfo de Ana María.
* Santa Cruz del Sur
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white flash every 7 s. Described by NGA as a 3 m (10 ft) "hut," red with a white base. The only possible location for this light is atop the tall dockside building seen in Google's satellite view. Santa Cruz del Sur is a city of about 50,000 at the southernmost corner of Camagüey Province. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J5073.5; NGA 13236.5.
Cayo Cabeza del Este
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 12 s. 12 m (39 ft) square pyramidal aluminum skeletal tower, mounted on a pile foundation and painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse is located on a cay at the extreme southeastern end of the Jardines de la Reina off the southern coast of Camagüey province. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. CU-0825; Admiralty J5076; NGA 13284.
Faro de Cabo Cruz
Cabo Cruz Light, Granma Province
photo copyright Anne Philpot; used by permission
Cayo Cachiboca
1930. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white flash every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower, mounted on a pile foundation and painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse is located on a cay near the southeastern end of the Jardines de la Reina off the southwestern coast of Camagüey province. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CUB-040; CU-0826; Admiralty J5077; NGA 13340.
Cayo Santa María
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round barbell-shaped fiberglass tower colored with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a small island in the eastern Golfo de Ana María. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CUB-025; CU-0788; Admiralty J5078.8; NGA 13292.

Ciego de Ávila Province South Coast Lighthouse
Cayo Bretón
1930. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white flash every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) square skeletal tower, mounted on square concrete platform supported by concrete piles. A 2006 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse is about 150 km (90 mi) northwest of Cayo Cachiboca, marking the western end of the Jardines de la Reina in Ciego de Ávila province. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CUB-041; CU-0828; Admiralty J5084; NGA 13344.

Sancti Spíritus Province South Coast Lighthouses
Cayo Blanco de Zaza
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 12 s. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower mounted on a platform supprted by piles. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view of the platform. Located at the south end of a small cay off the entrance to the Río Tunas. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J5084.8; NGA 13364.
Cayo Blanco de Casilda
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 7 s. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower mounted on a platform supprted by piles. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at the east end of a small cay off the entrance to Casilda, the harbor district of the town of Trinidad. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J5090; NGA 13380.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Bahamas | East: Haiti | South: Jamaica | West: Western Cuba

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted 2003. Checked and revised November 26, 2017. Lighthouses: 33. Site copyright 2017. Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.