Lighthouses of Dominica
Dominica is an independent island nation located
in the central part of the Lesser Antilles, the curving chain of islands
at the eastern end of the Caribbean Sea. It is not so well known as its
two French neighbors, Guadeloupe to the north and Martinique to the south.
The island has an area of about 750 km2 (290 mi2) and a population of about
75,000. Although settled initially by France, Dominica became a British
colony in 1763. It has been independent since 1978. English is the official language, but French is also spoken.
Most of the lighthouses of the Lesser Antilles are poorly known, so information
about them would be welcome,
and photos are especially welcome.
Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 110. ARLHS does not list any lights in Dominica.
- General Sources
- Online List
of Lights - Dominica
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
- World of Lighthouses - Dominica
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Scott's Head Light, Scott's Head, August 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Postdif
- * [Scott's
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane unlisted; quick-flashing white
light. Approx. 5 m (17 ft) post. Wikimedia has a 2010 photo (a small portion is shown above), Lightphotos.net has a closeup, and Trabas has a distant view by
Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Marc Crandall has a street view, but the post is not seen in Google's satellite
Head is actually a tombolo: a small island attached to the southern tip of
Dominica by a gravel bar; Wikimedia has a view across the bar. Located atop the promontory; accessible by
a trail crossing the bar from the nearby village also called Scott's
Head. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown.
Admiralty J5770; NGA 14929.
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane unlisted; two continuous red lights, one above the other. Approx. 30 m (98 ft) triangular skeletal communications tower. Trabas has a distant view by
Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located at Barroui (Baroui) on the northwestern coast of Dominica just north of Salisbury. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: unknown.
Admiralty J5760.4; NGA 14926.
- Barbers Block (Morne Espagnol)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane unlisted; continuous lights, one red and one green, arranged vertically. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower painted in a red and white checkered pattern. No photo available, and Google has only an indistinct satellite view. Located on a high ridge near the northwestern tip of the island. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: unknown.
Admiralty J5760.8; NGA 14925.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: Guadeloupe | South: Martinique
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted December 7, 2010.
Checked and revised January 19, 2018. Lighthouses: 2. Site copyright 2018 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.