Lighthouses of Denmark: West Coast

Denmark, located at the mouth of the Baltic Sea, includes the north-pointing peninsula of Jylland (Jutland) in the west and a large number of islands to the east. The capital, Copenhagen, is on the island of Sjælland. Other major Danish islands include Fyn (between Sjælland and Jylland), Lolland and Falster (south of Sjælland) and Bornholm (farther east in the Baltic). The Skaggerak is a sound separating Jylland from Norway to the northwest, while the Kattegat separates Jylland from Sweden to the northeast.

This page covers lighthouses on the west coast of Jylland and on the Limfjord waterway that crosses the northern part of the peninsula. The southern part of this coast faces the North Sea, and the northern part faces Norway across the Skaggerak.

The Danish word for a lighthouse is fyr. The front light of a range is the forfyr and the rear light is the bagfyr. In October 2011, the government placed maintenance of Danish aids to navigation under the Danish Maritime Authority (Søfartsstyrelsen).

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. DFL numbers are from the Dansk Fyrliste. Admiralty numbers are from volume B of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 114.

General Sources
Danske Fyrtårne
A comprehensive site by Ole Henrik Lemvigh on Danish lighthouses, with many photos; the text is entirely in Danish.
Online List of Lights - Denmark West
Photos of active aids to navigation, including lighthouses and minor aids, maintained by Alex Trabas.
Leuchttürme.net - Dänemark
A fine web site by Malte Werning, with excellent photos.
Leuchtturmseiten von Anke und Jens - Denmark
Photos of more than 100 Danish lighthouses, with notes in English.
Dänische Leuchttürme
Photos of more than 175 Danish lighthouses posted by Klaus Huelse.
Lighthouses in Denmark
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Lighthouses in Denmark
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Indholdsfortegnelse
History of the Danish lighthouse service (in Danish), with photos of selected lighthouses, posted by the Danish Environment and Energy Ministry (Miljø & Energi Ministeriet).
Dänische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Lightships in Denmark
Information posted by Iris Klempau on her Lightships of the World web site.
Danske Fyrskibe
Comprehensive information on Danish lightships (in Danish), posted by the group managing the Horns-Rev.
Dansk Fyrliste 2013
Official Danish light list (in .pdf format); the list includes lights of Greenland and Faroes.


Hanstholm Light, Thisted, October 2005
photo copyright Malte Werning; used by permission


Bovbjerg Light, Lemvig, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Johan Wieland

Syddanmark (Southern Denmark) Region Lighthouses

Note: Additional lighthouses of the Syddanmark region are listed on the Southeast Jylland and Fyn pages.

Esbjerg Lighthouses
* Esbjerg Trafikhavn Sydmole (South Mole)
1889. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous green light. 5 m (17 ft) round cast iron tower with a domed lantern, painted green. At least, the tower is green in the Anke/Jens photo (July 2005) and in Huelse's photo, although it is white in Trabas's photo. Google has a street view across the harbor and a satellite view. The Trafikhavn (Commercial Harbor) is one of several small basins in the harbor facilities at Esbjerg. Located at the end of the Trafikhavn South Mole; apparently accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. DFL-0075; Admiralty B1796; NGA 10792.
* Esbjerg Trafikhavn Nordmole (North Mole)
1879. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous red light. 5 m (17 ft) round cast iron tower with a domed lantern, painted red. Located at the end of the Trafikhavn North Mole; apparently accessible by walking the mole. Trabas has an excellent closeup photo by Klaus Kern (note the south mole light in the background, painted green), Huelse also has a photo, and Google has a street view across the harbor and a satellite view. Huelse has a postcard view of a former mole lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Located at the end of the Trafikhavn North Mole; apparently accessible by walking the mole. DFL-0074; Admiralty B1794; NGA 10788.
* Esbjerg
1923. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off, 6 s on, 2 s off. 5 m (17 ft) wood building; the light is shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Huelse also has a good photo, Lemvigh has a page for the light, and Google has a satellite view. This tiny directional lighthouse guides ships approaching Esbjerg through the narrow channel between the mainland and the island of Fanø. Located at the end of the broad mole separating the Trafikhavn and the Fiskerihavn. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-202; DFL-0060; Admiralty B1792; NGA 10784.
**** Motorfyrskib 1 Horns Rev
1913. Inactive as a lightship since 1980; decommissioned 1988. 33.6 m (110 ft) wood lightship; the light was displayed from a round lantern on a mast amidships. Hull painted red with a white horizontal band and a vertical white stripe (the pattern of the Danish flag). Klempau has a page for the ship, with several good photos, Frits van Eck has a fine 2010 photo, Huelse also has a photo, and Google has a closeup street view and a satellite view. Built at Faaborg, the ship spent its entire career on the Vyl and Horns Rev stations west of Esbjerg in the North Sea. In 1989 the Defense Ministry donated the ship to a foundation formed in Esbjerg for its preservation. After some refurbishment, the ship opened as a museum vessel in 1989. This is one of the best preserved lightships in Denmark, or anywhere. Moored at Pier 1 in the Fiskerihavn in Esbjerg. Site open, ship open for tours Monday through Friday, May through September. ARLHS DEN-233.
* Strandby
1893. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s. 5 m (17 ft) wood building; the light is shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Werning's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup, Huelse also has a good photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This light guides ships approaching Esbjerg from the North Sea. Located on the Doggerkaj, a broad mole at the northwestern corner of Esbjerg harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-203; DFL-0048; Admiralty B1782; NGA 10760.
Sæddingstrand Syd Bagfyr (South Range Rear) (2)
1947 (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); continuous green light. 17 m (56 ft) triangular skeletal tower with a square enclosed lantern room, mounted atop a robust square concrete tower. Lantern painted gray. Trabas has a distant photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The tower is left over from World War II, although we aren't sure of its original function. The front light is on a short skeletal tower. Located in the Strandskoven, a wooded park about 1 km (0.6 mi) northeast of the harbor area in Esbjerg. Site status unknown. ARLHS DEN-118; DFL-0034a; Admiralty B1778.1; NGA 10748.

Strandby Light, Esbjerg, October 2005
photo copyright Malte Werning; used by permission
* Sæddingstrand Forfyr (Range Front) (1)
Date unknown (station established 1873). Inactive since 2006. 7 m (23 ft) 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house, painted red with white trim. The light was shown through a plate glass window on the lower story. This is the main entrance range for Esbjerg. The active light (focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off) is on a 5 m (17 ft) round metal tower with lantern. The original lens is on display at the Fiskeri- og Søfartsmuseet, Esbjerg's maritime museum. The house is clearly used as a residence. Trabas has Lemvigh's photo of the new light, Huelse has a photo of the house from a different angle, and Google has a street view from the rear of the building. The new light, not seen in Google's satellite view, was activated in November 2006. Located on the Fyrvej, just off the Sædding Strandvej (beach road) in Sædding, a beach town just northwest of Esbjerg. Site and tower closed, but the house can be viewed from the street. ARLHS DEN-114; DFL-0034b; Admiralty B1772; NGA 10720.
* Sæddingstrand Mellumfyr (Range Middle)
1873. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern painted red. Trabas has a photo, Huelse also has a good photo and a historic postcard view, another good photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located in a parking lot on the eastern leg of the Fyrparken, off the Tarphagevej in Sædding. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-115; DFL-0032b; Admiralty B1772.1; NGA 10724.
* Sæddingstrand Bagfyr (Range Rear)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); continuous white light. 22 m (72 ft) triangular skeletal tower with a round gallery. Tower painted red. Trabas has a photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the Nordre Fovrfeldvej at the Sprogøvej in Sædding. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-116; DFL-0032a; Admiralty B1772.2; NGA 10728.
* Sæddingstrand Nord Bagfyr (North Range Rear)
1947. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); continuous red light. 11 m (36 ft) triangular cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. There are vertical panels of wood on each face, so the lighthouse appears with brown and white vertical stripes. Trabas has a photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The front light is on a skeletal tower. This very modern tower, designed by the architect Frank Holmelin, is located on the western leg of the Fyrparken, off the Sædding Ringvej (ring road) in Sædding. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-113; DFL-0036a; Admiralty B1779.1; NGA 10756.

Varde Lighthouse
**** Blåvandshuk (Blåvand) (2)
1900 (station established 1888). Active; focal plane 55 m (180 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 39 m (128 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery; original 2nd order Fresnel lens. Lighthouse painted white with gray trim; lantern painted red. Matthias Barth's photo is at right, Trabas has Arno Siering's closeup, Lemvigh's page has a photo, Ingo Bos has a nice photo of a rainbow behind the lighthouse, Wikimedia has photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The cape of Blåvandshuk is the westernmost point of Denmark. Located at the point of the cape, at the end of the Fyrvej (Lighthouse Road) in Blåvand-Oksby. Site open; tower open daily all year, except sometimes it is closed in bad weather. ARLHS DEN-002; DFL-0150; Admiralty B1848; NGA 10716.

Blåvandshuk Light, Varde, December 2003
Flickr Creative Commons
photo by Matthias Barth

Midtjylland (Central Jylland) Region Lighthouses

Note: Additional lighthouses of the Midtjylland region are listed on the Northeast Jylland page. Most of these Midtjylland lighthouses are on the south side of the Limfjord waterway. The Limfjord is not a fjord in the Norwegian sense. It is a network of broad sounds and narrow channels that extends all the way across the northern end of Jylland (Jutland), connecting the North Sea at Thyborøn to the Kattegat at Hals. Until it was pierced by a storm in 1825, a narrow isthmus called the Agger Tange connected the northern part of Jylland to the rest of the peninsula. The present Thyborøn Channel through the Agger Tange was opened by another storm in 1862. From Thyborøn, the waterway extends southeast to a narrow strait at Oddesund, then northeast to another strait at Sallingsund, then east through the city of Ålborg to the Kattegat. (Lighthouses on the Kattegat at the eastern end of the waterway are listed on the Northeast Jylland page.)

Ringkøbing-Skjern Lighthouse
**** Lyngvig (Nørre Lynvig, Holmlands Klit)
1906. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); white flash every 5 s. 38 m (125 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern painted red. Rüdiger Wölk's photo is at right, Wikimedia has additional photos, Trabas has Arno Siering's excellent photo, Huelse has both a good photo and a historic postcard view, Lemvigh has a page for the lighthouse, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. All photos show how the lighthouse stands atop a 17 m (56 ft) dune. The lighthouse is built on a barrier spit that encloses the Ringkjøping Fjord, which is a large, shallow sound connected to the sea by a narrow inlet. Located at the end of the Holmsland Klitvej in Nørre Lyngvig. Site open; tower open daily March through October and occasionally in the winter, although the lighthouse is sometimes closed on holidays or in bad weather. ARLHS DEN-024; DFL-0215; Admiralty B1858; NGA 10872.

Lemvig Lighthouses
**** Bovbjerg
1877. Active; focal plane 62 m (203 ft); two long (2.5 s) white flashes every 15 s. 26 m (85 ft) round brick tower with stone trim, lantern and gallery, attached to a pair of 1-1/2 story brick keeper's houses. The original 1st order Fresnel lens remains in use. The lighthouse is unpainted red brick with gray stone trim; lantern painted dark red to match the brick. Johan Wieland's photo is at the top of this page, Lemvigh has a page for the lighthouse, Derek Meier has an excellent September 2006 photo, Trabas also has a great photo by Arno Siering, Wikimedia has photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a postcard view postmarked 1907, and Google has a satellite view. Not the tallest Danish lighthouse, but this is one of the country's most handsome. Located on the Fyrvej south of Ferring. Site open; tower open daily May through September and occasionally in the rest of the year, although the lighthouse is sometimes closed when the keeper is absent. ARLHS DEN-003; DFL-0250; ; Admiralty B1886; NGA 10908.
* Thyborøn Anduvning (Thyborøn Approach)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal mast with lantern and gallery. The lantern is red. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a dune on the south side of the entrance to the Limfjord. Site open, tower closed. DFL-0260; Admiralty B1900; NGA 10912.
Lynvig Fyr
Lyngvig Light, Ringkjøping-Skjern, August 2005
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Rüdiger Wölk
* Thyborøn Tange
1911. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 12 s. 6 m (20 ft) round cast iron lantern with a square wood gallery, mounted on four wood piles. Lantern and gallery painted white with a red horizontal band, piles brown. Huelse has a fine photo, Trabas also has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. This was formerly the front light of a range; the rear light was deactivated in 1988 and has since been relocated to Kongsdal Havn, near Mariager (see the Northeast Jylland page). Located at an elbow bend on the Havregade (breakwater) sheltering the harbor of Thyborøn, on the south side of the inlet leading to the Limfjord. Accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-189; DFL-0408; Admiralty B1900; NGA 10932.

Struer Lighthouses
* Toftum
1904. Active; characteristics unknown. 4 m (13 ft) wood building; the light is shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Huelse has a photo, Trabas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Standing at the eastern end of the west basin of the Limfjord, this directional light guides ships down the length of the basin. Located on a golf course near the town of Toftum Bjerge, about 2 km (1.2 mi) southwest of the Oddesund bridge. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Struer-Golfklub. ARLHS DEN-076; DFL-0455; Admiralty B1946.
* Grisetåodde
1909. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Werning has a page with a good photo, Lemvigh also has a page for the lighthouse, Charles Joynt has a 2009 photo, Trabas has Arno Siering's excellent photo (seen at right) Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view as well as a distant street view taken from the nearby Oddesund Bridge (highway 11). Anke and Jens found the light freshly repainted in June 2005. Located on a spit of land marking the east entrance to the Oddesund strait in Oddesund Syd. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-075; DFL-0470; Admiralty B1954.

Skive Lighthouses
* Langerodde
1911. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 4 m (13 ft) wood building; the light is shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. This is a directional light guiding ships northeastward from Oddesund to Sallingsund. Located on the south side of the fjord roughly 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of Sallingsund, near Vile. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-078; DFL-0510; Admiralty B1976.
* Glyngøre
1911. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Lemvigh has a page for the lighthouse, Trabas has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse is a twin of the Grisetåodde light. Located at a marina on the tip of a promontory on the east side of the fjord north of Sallingssund. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-077; DFL-0515; Admiralty B1980.
Grisetåodde Fyr
Grisetåodde Light, Struer
photo copyright Arno Siering; used by permission
* Vodstrup
1911. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 4 m (13 ft) wood building; the light is shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. This directional light guides westbound ships toward Sallingsund. Located at the end of the Fyrvej in Morsø, on the eastern side of the island of Mors. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-066; DFL-0542; Admiralty B2006.
* #Fur (1)
1911. Demolished in 2007. This was a 4 m (13 ft) wood building; the light was shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band on the side with the light. Huelse has a good 2007 photo, and Google has a satellite view. The light (focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s) is now shown from a slender triangular fiberglass tower. Located on the northwestern side of Fur, an island in the Limfjord on the south side of the waterway. The island is accessible by ferry from the mainland near Selde. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-073; DFL-0548; Admiralty B2010.

Nordjylland (North Jylland) Region Lighthouses

Vesthimmerland Lighthouse
* Løgstør Grunde (Forfyr)
1908. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 9 m (30 ft) rectangular building with two square lantern houses, one at each end. Building painted white. Kai Sender's photo is at right, Lemvigh has a page with photos, Trabas has a photo by Klaus Kern, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. In this very unusual lighthouse, the lantern at the north end carries the red light, and the one at the south end carries the green. The rear light is on a skeletal tower. The range guides eastbound ships approaching the narrow Aggersund channel of the Limfjord leading to Ålborg. Located on the south side of the fjord on the Havnevej in Løgstør. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-079; DFL-0630b; Admiralty B2050.

Morsø Lighthouses
* Sillerslev Forfyr (Range Front)
1911. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 3 m (10 ft) wood building; the light is shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Lemvigh has a page with a photo, Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. This range guides ships heading northeast from the Oddesund area. Located on the waterfront of Sønderby, about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) southwest of Sillerslev on the south side of the island of Mors. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-064; DFL-0500b; Admiralty B1970.
* Sillerslev Bagfyr (Range Rear)
1911. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 13 m (43 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern room and gallery; the light is shown through a square window in the lantern room. Trabas has a closeup photo, Lemvigh has a page with a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the Gammel Færgevej on the east side of Sillerslev. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-065; DFL-0500a; Admiralty B1970.1.
Løgstør Grunde Fyr
Løgstør Grunde Forfyr, Vesthimmerland, October 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Kai Sender

Thisted Lighthouses
* Agger-Tange Forfyr (Range Front)
1988. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 5 m (16 ft) round cast iron lantern, painted red. Huelse has a closeup, Trabas has a distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. The range guides ships entering the Thyborøn Kanal, the inlet leading to the Limfjord. The rear light is 800 m (1/2 mi) east on a skeletal mast. Located just behind the beach on the north side of the inlet. Apparently accessible by a hike of about 1.2 km (3/4 mile) across the sand from the Tangevej. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-190; DFL-0401b; Admiralty B1894; NGA 10916.
*** Lodbjerg
1884. Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 35 m (115 ft) round granite tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted stone; lantern dome is weathered gray metallic. Two 1-1/2 story keeper's houses and other light station buildings; there is a resident caretaker. Trabas has a great photo, Lemvigh has a page with photos, Huelse also has a good closeup plus a historic postcard view, Anke/Jens have a view from the gallery, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is located about 1 km (0.6 mi) from the beach in a maritime forest preserve, the Lodbjerg Klitplantage. In 1999 the deteriorated lantern dome was replaced by an authentic replica. Located on the Lodbjergvej about 8 km (5 mi) by road north of Agger. Site open, tower open daily if the keeper is present. ARLHS DEN-022; DFL-0264; Admiralty B2070; NGA 10944.
* Vorupør Forfyr
1894. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 4 m (13 ft) wood building; the light is shown through a small rectangular window. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Huelse has a closeup, and Trabas also has a photo. Located on the dunes at Nørre Vorupør. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-063; ; DFL-0269b; Admiralty B2072; NGA 10948.
* Vorupør Bagfyr
1894. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 9 m (30 ft) square wood tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The light was originally shown through a window, but a semicircular lantern has now been attached to the windowframe, and an external ladder has been added to provide access to the modern lantern. Stephen Neumann's photo is at right, Lemvigh has a page for the lighthouse, Trabas has a good photo, Wikimedia has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The Vorupør lights apparently have been moved several times to track changes in the entrance channel. Located 80 m (260 ft) southeast of the front light in Nørre Vorupør. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-187; DFL-0269a; Admiralty B2072.1; NGA 10952.
Vorupør Bagfyr
Vorupør Bagfyr, Thisted, June 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Stephen Neumann
*** Hanstholm
1843 (substantially rebuilt in 1889). Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 23 m (75 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached by a covered passageway to a 2-1/2 story masonry keeper's house. 1st order Fresnel lens (1889) in use. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof painted red. Werning's photo appears at the top of this page, Lemvigh has a page for the lighthouse, Trabas has a closeup, Wikimedia has photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Hanstholm Fyr is one of Denmark's most important lights, since it marks the southern entrance to the Skagerrak, the broad strait separating Denmark and Norway and leading to the Baltic Sea. The lighthouse had to be built twice, because a mixup in the specifications left the first tower inadequate to support the lens. The tower was raised in height in 1889, when the present first-order lantern was installed. In 1979 the light station was sold to Hanstholm Kommune (now part of Thisted Kommune) and the Viborg Regional Authority, although the Maritime Authority reserves the right of access to the tower and stations a resident caretaker on the property. The buildings are part of a museum of regional history. Located on the Tårnvej in Hanstholm, about 400 m (1/4 mi) southeast of the waterfront. Site open, museum and tower open Saturdays and Sundays year round. Owner: Thisted Kommune; site manager: Museumscenter Hanstholm. ARLHS DEN-013; DFL-0280; Admiralty B2084; NGA 10968.

Hjørring Lighthouses
** Rudbjerg (Rubjerg) Knude
1900. Inactive since 1968. 23 m (85 ft) square cylindical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Several 1-1/2 story keeper's houses, now in ruins. Werning has a page for the lighthouse, Lemvigh also has a page with photos, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Google has a satellite view and a distant street view, and Huelse has a historic postcard view of the lighthouse in operation. This lighthouse was abandoned when high sand dunes began encroaching on the station. The dunes have now migrated through the station and the buildings are emerging onto the beach. Clearly the lighthouse and all the other structures are endangered by continuing erosion and the rise in sea level. A September 2007 photo and Karsten Köhler's June 2008 photo show the lighthouse still in dunes but looming over the beach. The site is now managed by the Vendsyssel Historiske Museum, which maintains a small museum with exhibits on the lighthouse and the natural history of the area. Located on the beach about halfway between Nørre Rudbjerg and Lønstrup. Accessible by a road from the Rudbjergvej. Site open, tower reported open but no schdedule is available. Site manager: Vendsyssel Historiske Museum. ARLHS DEN-036.
**** Hirtshals
1863. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); continuous white light with a more intense flash every 30 s. 35 m (115 ft) round tile-covered brick tower, attached by covered passageways to two 1-1/2 story brick keeper's houses. Lighthouse is white; lantern roof is weathered metallic. Lena Dyrdal Andersen's photo is at right, Lemvigh's page for the lighthouse has photos, Wikimedia has many additional photos, Huelse also has a good photo and a historic postcard view, Werning has a page for the lighthouse, and Google has an excellent satellite view. The lighthouse was restored during the summer of 2005, and Marinas.com has aerial photos taken while this work was in progress. Hirtshals, at the northern end of Jylland, is the southern terminal for ferries crossing the Skagerrak to Oslo, Kristiansand, and Larvik, Norway. Located just off the Kystvej in Hirtshals, about 1 km (0.6 mi) southwest of the harbor. Site open; tower open for climbing, but we do not know the schedule. ARLHS DEN-017; DFL-0310; Admiralty B2106; NGA 11008.
Hirtshals Fyr
Hirtshals Light, Hjørring, August 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Lena Dyrdal Andersen

Information available on lost lighthouses

  • Skallingen (1903-1909 and 1913-?), tip of the Skallingen Peninsula near Esbjerg. The original brick lighthouse was lost to beach erosion in only 6 years. A skeletal tower replaced it in 1913, and it's not clear when that tower was removed.

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Northeast Jylland | South: North Frisia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 16, 2006. Checked and revised February 24, 2014. Lighthouses: 29, lightships: 2. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.