Lighthouses of Denmark: Northeast Jylland

Denmark, located at the mouth of the Baltic Sea, includes the north-pointing peninsula of Jylland (Jutland) in the west and a large number of islands to the east. The capital, Copenhagen, is on the island of Sjælland. Other major Danish islands include Fyn (between Sjælland and Jylland), Lolland and Falster (south of Sjælland) and Bornholm (farther east in the Baltic). The Skaggerak is a sound separating Jylland from Norway to the northwest, while the Kattegat separates Jylland from Sweden to the northeast.

This page covers lighthouses of the northeastern coast of Jylland, including the east coast lighthouses of the Midtjylland (Central Jutland) and Nordjylland (North Jutland) Regions. This coast faces the broad waters of the Kattegat sound. Midtjylland and Nordjylland have additional lighthouses on the North Sea coast described on the Denmark West Coast page.

The Danish word for a lighthouse is fyr. The front light of a range is the forfyr and the rear light is the bagfyr. In October 2011, the government placed maintenance of Danish aids to navigation under the Danish Maritime Authority (Søfartsstyrelsen).

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. DFL numbers are from the Dansk Fyrliste. Admiralty numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
Danske Fyrtårne
A comprehensive site on Danish lighthouses, with many photos; the text is entirely in Danish.
Online List of Lights - Denmark East
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Leuchttürme.net - Dänemark
A fine web site by Malte Werning, with excellent photos.
Leuchtturmseiten von Anke und Jens - Denmark
Photos of more than 100 Danish lighthouses, with notes in English.
Dänische Leuchttürme
Photos of more than 175 Danish lighthouses posted by Klaus Huelse.
Denmark Lighthouses
Photos by Larry Myhre.
Lighthouses in Denmark
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouses in Denmark
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Indholdsfortegnelse
History of the Danish lighthouse service, with photos of selected lighthouses, posted by the Danish Environment and Energy Ministry (Miljø & Energi Ministeriet).
Dänische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Danske Fyrskibe og deres Historie
Comprehensive information on Danish lightships (in Danish), posted by the group managing the Horns-Rev.

Skagen Fyr
1858 Skagen Light, Skagen, May 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Larry Myhre

Nordjylland Lighthouses

Skagen Lighthouses
Note: Skagen, called the Skaw in English, is a sandy spit at the northern tip of Jylland, separating the Skagerrak on the west from the Kattegat on the east. The town of Skagen, located near the tip of the spit, is part of the Frederikshavn municipality.
* Skagen Vest (Skagen West)
1956. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); three white flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction (red flashes are seen by westbound ships sailing too close to shore). 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is green metallic. Werning has a page for the lighthouse including the photo at right, Trabas also has a good photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. This light replaced the former Højen lighthouse (1892); that light, located 2.5 km (1.5 mi) to the west, was about to be destroyed by beach erosion. Located at the northernmost point of Jylland, about 2.8 km (1.75 mi) northwest of the main Skagen lighthouse. Accessible by hiking from the main light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-041; DFL-0325; Admiralty C0001; NGA 1520.
**** Skagen (2)
1858 (station established 1747). Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 4 s. 46 m (151 ft) round brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached by a covered passageway to a large 2-story keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern dome is gray metallic; keeper's house and other buildings painted bright yellow. Larry Myhre's photo is at the top of this page, Werning has a fine page for this lighthouse, Trabas has an excellent photo, Birgit Damgaard has a 2007 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Marking the entrance to the Baltic Sea, this is probably Denmark's best known lighthouse. When it was built, it was about equally distant from the Kattegat to the southeast and the Skagerrak to the northwest. However, the land has shifted steadily northwestward over the past 150 years, and the lighthouse is now perilously close to the Kattegat, as can be seen in Anke and Jens's photos. A series of groins has been built to slow the erosion. Located on the northeast side of the town of Skagen. Site open; tower open Monday through Friday from early April through the end of August and on a variable schedule the rest of the year (inquire locally). ARLHS DEN-040; DFL-0330; Admiralty C0002; NGA 1524.
Skagen West Light
Skagen Vest Light, Skagen, May 2003
photo copyright Malte Werning; used by permission
* Skagen (1)
1747. Inactive since 1858. 21 m (69 ft) octagonal brick tower with gallery; lantern removed. Lighthouse painted white, gallery black. This historic lighthouse appears to be very well preserved. Larry Myhre's photo is at right, Tara Whitsitt has a good photo, Werning also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard image in which the tower has a pyramidal roof and a signal mast. Located at the intersection of the Fyrvej and the Batterivej on the northeast side of the town of Skagen, about 1.6 km (1 mi) southwest of the 1858 lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-039.
Skagen Østmole (East Breakwater)
1970 (relocated 1918 lighthouse?). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); green flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted green. Trabas has a great photo in which the lighthouse appears freshly painted in a particularly brilliant green, and Bing has a satellite view. Huelse has an interesting postcard image of similar Skagen Mole lighthouses, but these were located at the ends of the present inner breakwaters, which now have no lights. It is likely that these earlier lighthouses were relocated to the new outer breakwaters in 1970. Located at the end of the east outer breakwater of Skagen. Accessible only by boat (the mole is not walkable). Site and tower closed. DFL-1307; Admiralty C0004.4; NGA 1540.
Skagen Vestmole (West Breakwater)
1970 (relocated 1918 lighthouse?). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Trabas has a great photo in which the lighthouse appears freshly painted in a particularly brilliant red, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west outer breakwater of Skagen. Accessible only by boat (the mole is not walkable). Site and tower closed. DFL-1306; Admiralty C0004.2; NGA 1536.

Frederikshavn Lighthouses
* Frederikshavn Nordmole (Northeast Breakwater)
1892. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white or green light, depending on direction, 1 s on, 1 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted green. Trabas also has a good photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north outer breakwater mole of Frederikshavn. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. DFL-1364; Admiralty C0028; NGA 1608.
* Frederikshavn Sydmole (Range Front, South Breakwater)
1892. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Werning has a good photo, Trabas also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This was formerly the front light of a range, but the rear light has been discontinued. Located at the end of the south outer breakwater mole of Frederikshavn. This mole is not walkable. Site and tower closed. DFL-1362; Admiralty C0029; NGA 1600.
1747 Skagen Fyr
1747 Skagen Light, Skagen, May 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre

Hirsholm Lighthouses
Note: Hirsholm is a small island in the Kattegat about 7 km (4.5 mi) northeast of Frederikshavn. There is one small village on the island; the rest of the land is set aside as a nature preserve to protect nesting seabirds. Hirsholm is a popular stop for yachts crusing the Baltic, and transportation is available from Frederikshavn on the mail boat, three times a week.
* Hirsholm (Hirtsholm) (1)
1838. Inactive since 1886. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindical brick tower with lantern, attached to one end of a 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted yellow with white trim, lantern black with a red roof. The lantern does not appear to be original. It is not known how this historic building is used. Located adjacent to the active lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
* Hirsholm (Hirtsholm) (2)
1886 (station established 1838). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 27 m (89 ft) round granite tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted, except the lantern dome is painted red. Trabas has an excellent closeup photo by Klaus Kern, Franco Coluzzi has a 2007 photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view of both lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the village of Hirsholm, at the highest point of the island. Site open; tower generally closed but there are guided tours from Frederikshavn several times each year. DFL-1350; ARLHS DEN-067; Admiralty C0020; NGA 1584.

Læsø Area Lighthouses
Note: Læsø is one of the two largest islands of the Kattegat, located about 19 km (12 mi) east of the mainland south of Frederikshavn. The island has a permanent population of about 2000 and is a popular tourist destination, especially in the summer. Ferry transportation is available from Frederikshavn.
Nordre Rønner
1880. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 15 s. 18 m (56 ft) round granite tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted red. Several additional light station buildings survive at the station. Frank Stjerne's photo is at right, Huelse has a photo and a historic postcard view, ARLHS has a historic photo, and Google has a good satellite view. The station buildings are the only structures on Spirholm, a small, sandy island in the Kattegat about 6 km (3.5 mi) north of Vesterø Havn, Læsø. Accessible only by boat; there is a distant view from ferries between Frederikshavn and Vesterø Havn. Site status unknown. DFL-1400; ARLHS DEN-030; Admiralty C0044; NGA 1648.
Læsø Rende
1965. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two long (2 s) flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern, mounted on a circular concrete caisson. A square helipad is mounted above the lantern. Tower painted white, helipad structure painted red. Huelse has a photo, and Trabas has a very distant view. The lighthouse replaced a lightship station established in 1887. The Læsø Rende is the channel between Læsø and the mainland. Located about 7 km (4.5 mi) east of the mainland and 11 km (7 mi) west of the western point of Læsø. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. DFL-1425; ARLHS DEN-021; Admiralty C0061; NGA 1696.
Nordre Rønner Fyr
Nordre Rønner Light, Læsø, July 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Frank Stjerne

Ålborg Lighthouses

Note: These lights mark the eastern entrance of the Limfjord waterway, which crosses northern Jylland. Other lighthouses of the Limfjord are listed on the Denmark's West Coast page.
Korsholm (Egense) Forfyr Syd
1895. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off (synchronized with the Forfyr Nord and also with the rear light). 6 m (20 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with a cast iron lantern, mounted on the same stone pier as the Forfyr Nord; the two lights are only 9 m (30 ft) apart. Tower unpainted; lantern painted red. Trabas has a photo. Known locally as salt and pebber, the two lights guide ships into the Limfjord entrance. The common rear light for the two Forfyrs is on a skeletal tower onshore 2 km (1.2 mi) to the west. Located about 1.6 km (1 mi) east of Egense, on the south side of the entrance, and a similar distance south of Hals, on the north side. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. DFL-0700c; Admiralty C0072.1; NGA 1764.
Korsholm (Egense) Forfyr Nord
1895. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); green light, 1 s on, 1 s off (synchronized with the Forfyr Syd and also with the rear light); also a red flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with a cast iron lantern, mounted on the same stone pier as the Forfyr Syd; the two lights are only 9 m (30 ft) apart. Tower unpainted; lantern painted red. Trabas has a photo. The Korsholm lights guide ships into the Limfjord entrance. The common rear light for the two Forfyrs is on a skeletal tower onshore 2 km (1.2 mi) to the west. Located about 1.6 km (1 mi) east of Egense, on the south side of the entrance, and a similar distance south of Hals, on the north side. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. DFL-0700b; Admiralty C0072; NGA 1760.
* Hals Ost Forfyr
Date unknown (station established 1849). Active; focal plane 4 m (13 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s. 4 m (13 ft) semicircular building; the light is shown through a rectangular window. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. The rear light is mounted on a mast 177 m (580 ft) northwest. Located on the west breakwater at Hals, on the north side of the Limfjord entrance. Accessible by walking the pier. ARLHS DEN-193; DFL-0706b; Admiralty C0076; NGA 1768.
Hals Barre
1912. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 10 s; also a passing light, white, red or green depending on direction, 1 s on, 1 s off. 15 m (49 ft) square cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper's quarters, painted with red and white horizontal bands and mounted on a circular stone pier. Thomas Hillebrand's photo is at right, Huelse has a photo and a historic postcard view, and ARLHS also has a photo. Originally serving also as a pilot station, the lighthouse was staffed until 1988. Located in the Kattegat about 7 km (4.5 mi) east of Hals and the Limfjord entrance. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS DEN-021; DFL-1460; Admiralty C0066; NGA 1744.
Hals Barre Lighthouse
Hals Barre Light, Kattegat
photo copyright Thomas Hillebrand
MarinaMap.com; used by permission
* Tårs Forfyr
Date unknown. Inactive. 4.5 m (15 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower; the light was shown through a slit-like window at the top of the tower. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Huelse has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light stood near the ferry terminal at Tårs, Lolland, guiding ferries arriving from Spodsbjerg, Langeland, on the other side of the Store Bælt. Replaced by a small skeletal tower, the lighthouse has been relocated to the grounds of the the maritime museum in Ålborg. Site open, museum open daily, tower closed. Site manager: Springeren - Maritimt Oplevelsescenter. ARLHS DEN-183.
* Fyrskib 18 (mast and lantern)
1902. Lightship mast and lantern from Fyrskib 18. Holger Mohaupt has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The ship itself survives, converted to the tall ship Den Store Bjørn. The mast is on display at the maritime museum in Ålborg, close to the Tars Forfyr. Site open, museum open daily, tower closed. Site manager: Springeren - Maritimt Oplevelsescenter.

Mariagerfjord Lighthouses
Svitringen Rende Syd
1983 (?). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 3 s. 13 m (43 ft) post with lantern and gallery, centered on an octagonal equipment sheter and mounted on an octagonal concrete pier. The light also marks a pilot station, where pilot boats wait for arriving ships. Huelse has a photo. Located in the Ålborg Bugt (Ålborg Bay) about 25 km (15 mi) east southeast of Hals. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. DFL-1455; Admiralty C0066.8; NGA 1724.
* Thyborøn Bagfyr (relocated to Kongsdal Havn) (2)
1908 (station established 1897). Inactive since 1988. 17 m (56 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo is at right, Huelse has an excellent photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse was formerly the rear light of the Thyborøn Range, at the western entrance to the Limfjord (see the Denmark West Coast page). After many years rusting in a scrapyard, it was rescued in 2000, restored and relocated to Kongsdal Havn, where it stands in a parking lot at the Kongsdal Marina. Located on the south side of the Mariager Fjord about 1 km (0.6 mi) northeast of Assens. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty B1900.1.
Thyborøn Bagfyr
Thyborøn Bagfyr, Kongsdal Havn, October 2009
Panoramio Creative Commons photo
by cisco66

Midtjylland Lighthouses

Norddjurs Lighthouses
Udbyhøj (1)
1894. Inactive since 2003. 6 m (20 ft) 1-1/2 story keeper's house; the light was displayed from a "bay window" lantern on the second floor level. House painted white, lantern roof red. Anke and Jens have a page with photos, and Huelse also has a photo. After deactivation the lighthouse was sold as a private residence. Site and tower closed (private property). ARLHS DEN-088.
Udbyhoj (2)
2003 (station established 1894). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s. 4.5 m (15 ft) round cylindrical tower; the light is shown through a slit-style window at the top. The upper half of the tower is painted red, the lower half white. Trabas has a photo. In Google's satellite view, it appears that the light may become obscured by surrounding trees. This directional light guides ships approaching the entrance to the Randers Fjord. Located adjacent to the historic lighthouse, at the end of a lane off highway 531, about 800 m (1/2 mi) south of Udbyhoj. Site and tower closed (private property). DFL-1640; Admiralty C0176; NGA 1936.
* Gjerrild (2)
1946 (station established 1895). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); four flashes every 20 s, white or green depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) rectangular cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has a good photo by Klaus Kern, Anke and Jens have a page with photos, Huelse has a photo, Myhre has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse also guides southbound ships around the end of the Djurs peninsula. The original lighthouse was a wood tower. Located on the Teglværksvej, on the east side of Nordstrand, near Gjerrild. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-089; DFL-1865; Admiralty C0200; NGA 2008.
* Fornæs (2)
1892 (station established 1839). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 20 s. 27 m (89 ft) round granite tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted; lantern painted red. 1-1/2 story keeper's house and other light station buildings. Larry Myhre's photo is at right, Trabas has an excellent photo by Klaus Kern, Anke and Jens have a page with photos, Wikimedia has a photo by Jens Bludau. Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This seems to be one of the least well known major lighthouses of Denmark. Fornæs is the easternmost point of Jylland, at the end of the Djurs peninsula. The lighthouse was automated in 1948, but the keeper's house remains in use as a Coast Guard station. Located on the point of the cape, at the end of the Fornæsvej, about 4 km (2.5 mi) northeast of the Grenå waterfront. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-008; DFL-1870; Admiralty C0204; NGA 2012.
* Grenå Havn Vest
1933. Inactive. 7 m (23 ft) round cast iron cylindrical tower, painted white with two red horizontal bands. The light was shown through a window at the top of the tower. Huelse has a photo and a second photo, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The light was still in service in 1965; we don't know when it was deactivated. The light has been relocated from its original location on the west breakwater to stand at the yacht harbor on the south side of Grenå. An identical light on the east pier has disappeared. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty C0212.

Anholt Lighthouses
Note: Anholt is a small island in the center of the Kattegat, roughly halfway between the Danish and Swedish shores. Due to its strategic location it has often been the object of military action; during the Napoleonic Wars it was occupied by Britain from 1808 to 1814. The island has a permanent population of about 160 and is accessible by passenger ferry from Grenå. It is attached administratively to the Norddjurs municipality.
Fornæs Fyr
Fornæs Light, Grenå, May 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre
* Anholt
1788. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white flash every 15 s. 42 m (138 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white; watch room and lantern base painted red; lantern dome is black. Huelse has a good photo, Trabas has a photo by Karl-Heinz Wellm, a sunset photo is available, and Huelse has a historic postcard view. This historic lighthouse guides ships approaching the Sound and entering the Baltic. Unfortunately, it is probably endangered: a Google satellite view shows that it is almost in the water. Located at the eastern end of the island, a desert region known for its unusual plant and animal life. Access to this ecologically sensitive area is restricted, but it appears that tours to the lighthouse are available. Site open with restrictions, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-068; DFL-1020; Admiralty C0164; NGA 1976.
* Anholt Havn
1903. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 8 m (26 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Theo Wasserhess has a sunset closeup photo, Kristine Riskær has a distant view, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north outer breakwater at Anholt Havn. Accessible by walking the pier, and there are good views from the waterfront or from ferries arriving from Grenå. Site and tower closed. DFL-1840; Admiralty C0166; NGA 1980.

Syddjurs Lighthouses
Hjelm
1856. Active; focal plane 61 m (200 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 4 s on, 4 s off. 18 m (59 ft) round brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached by covered passageways to two 1-1/2 story brick keeper's houses. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome red. Anke and Jens have a page with distant views, Huelse has a closeup photo and a historic postcard view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Hjelm is an uninhabited island in the southwestern Kattegat about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Elsegårde and 10 km (6 mi) southeast of Ebeltoft. The word hjelm means helmet, referring to the shape of the island. Located at the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS DEN-070; DFL-1900; Admiralty C0262; NGA 2208.
** Fyrskib 21 Skagens Rev
1911 (Rasmus Møllers Værft, Fåborg). Decommissioned 1988. 33.6 m (110 ft) wood lightship; the light was displayed from a lantern atop the mainmast. Hull painted a deep red with a white horizontal band; deckhouse and mast painted white, lantern deep red. Myhre has a 2007 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Before World War II the ship served mostly on the Horns Rev station. From 1945 to 1969 it was stationed off Læso, and its last station was at Skagens Rev. It was the last Danish lightship withdrawn from its station, on 12 December 1988. In 2006 the ship was moored at Ebeltoft and in use as a café; in 2007 overnight accommodations were to be available on the ship. Moored on the Ebeltoft waterfront. Site open; ship probably open but we need details. Owner/site manager: Fregatten Jylland. ARLHS DEN-009.
* Ebeltoft Vig
1921 (?) (station established 1883). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) square wood tower; the lights are displayed through a square window. Trabas has a photo by Klaus Kern, and Huelse also has a photo. Tower painted white with one narrow red horizontal band; the roof is gray. Located on a low hill in Lyngsbæk Strand, at the north end of Ebeltoft Vig (bay) about 7 km (4.5 mi) west of Ebeltoft. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-005; DFL-2060; Admiralty C0772; NGA 2220.
*** Sletterhage (2)
1894 (station established 1872). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 7.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern white with red horizontal bands. Nils Jepsen's photo is at right, Anke and Jens have a page with photos, Huelse has a good closeup photo and a historic postcard view, Trabas has a photo by Klaus Kern, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse, a wood tower, was built by the city of Århus. In 2009, a preservation group was formed to work for preservation of the lighthouse and to open it to the public. The lighthouse marks the end of the Helgenæs peninsula about 20 km (13 mi) east of Århus. (The word hage means "hook.") Located on the point of the cape in Slettervang. Site open, tower open weekends and holidays April through October. Site manager: Sletterhagefyr. ARLHS DEN-043; DFL-2090; Admiralty C0786; NGA 2252.
Sletterhage Light
Sletterhage Light, Helgenæs, May 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo
by Nils Jepsen

Århus Lighthouses
Århus Vestmole
1935. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); green flash every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a broad green horizontal band. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west mole enclosing the traditional inner harbor of Århus. Site and tower closed. ARLHS DEN-092; DFL-2051; Admiralty C0793; NGA 2282.
Århus Østmole
1935. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); red flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a single red horizontal band, mounted atop a round stone pier. Trabas has a photo, Huelse has a view from the harbor, and Bing has a satellite view. Located off the end of the east mole enclosing the traditional inner harbor of Århus. Site and tower closed. ARLHS DEN-091; DFL-2050; Admiralty C0792; NGA 2280.

Skanderborg Lighthouse
* Grenå Havn Øst
1906. Inactive. 7 m (23 ft) round cast iron cylindrical tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The light was shown through a window at the top of the tower. Formerly located on the east breakwater at Grenå, the lighthouse was relocated to the grounds of the Skanderborg Music Festival on Skanderborg Lake, south of Skanderborg and west of Århus. We do not know the exact location. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty C0208.

Odder Lighthouses
* Hov Lystbådehavn
1900. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); continuous red light. 5 m (17 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower, painted red. Red, white and green directional lights were formerly displayed through slit-style window at the top of the tower, but they apear to have been replaced by a lens at the top of the tower. Huelse has a photo, Trabas has a second photo by Huelse, and Bing has a satellite view. This light, formerly called Hov Havn, has been relocated from the ferry dock to the nearby yacht harbor. Huelse has a photo of the light at its original location; it was then painted white with a red horizontal band, as it is still described by the 2009 NGA List. Note: there is a much better known Hov Fyr on Langeland; see the Fyn and Langeland page. Located on the breakwater of Hov's yacht harbor (lystbådehavn means "pleasure boat harbor"), on the west side of the entrance. Accessible only by boat, although there must be good views from shore. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-093; DFL-2250; Admiralty C0830.5; NGA 2308.
** Tunø
1801. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s. 18 m (59 ft) square cylindrical church tower with lantern and gallery. Church and tower painted white, lantern and gallery rail painted green. Wikimedia's photo is at right, Huelse has a good photo of the building, Trabas has a second photo also by Huelse, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Tunø is a small island located between the mainland and the northern part of Samsø; it has a permanent population of about 120 and is accessible by passenger ferry from Hov. The church tower was increased in height in 1820 and again in 1906 to improve visibility of the light. The church caretaker doubles as keeper of the lighthouse and provides guided tours by arrangement, as his time allows. Located in the village of Tunø, at the eastern end of the island. Site open; tower open for an hour each morning late June through mid August and at other times by arrangement with the keeper. ARLHS DEN-071; DFL-2185; Admiralty C0822; NGA 2300.
Tunø Fyr
Tunø Light, Tunø, July 2010
Wikimedia public domain photo by Thebadfairy

Samsø Lighthouse
Note: Samsø, one of the two largest islands of the Kattegat, is located about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Århus. The island is about 15 km (9 mi) in length and has a permanent population of about 4000. It is accessible by ferries from Hov on the mainland south of Århus and from Kalundborg on Sjælland.
*** Vesborg
1858. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); white light, with two 2 s occultations every 12 s. 19 m (62 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, connected by a covered passageway to a 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome painted red. Huelse's photo is seen at right, a fine closeup is available, Søs Nygaard has a view from the sea, Wikimedia has two photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house is available for weekly vacation rentals. Located at Vesborg, near the southwestern corner of Samsø, about 2 km (1.2 mi) south of Kolby. Accessible by road. Site open, tower open April to October. ARLHS DEN-046; DFL-2230; Admiralty C0842; NGA 2340.

Horsens Lighthouses
* Haldrup Forfyr
1902. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous red light. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical 3-story wood tower; the light is shown through a square window on the top floor. Lighthouse painted white; there are three groups of three vertical red bars on the seaward face. Trabas has a photo, Huelse also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The range guides ships into the Horsens Fjord. Located in a farm field about 1.25 km (3/4 mi) southeast of the village of Haldrup, on the north side of the fjord. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-094; DFL-2276b; Admiralty C0866; NGA 2384.
Vesborg Fyr
Vesborg Light, Vesborg
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission
* Haldrup Bagfyr
1902. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous red light. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical 3-story wood tower; the light is shown through a square window on the top floor. Lighthouse painted white; there are three groups of three vertical red bars on the seaward face. Trabas has a photo, Huelse also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in a farm field about 700 m (0.4 mi) southeast of Haldrup, on the north side of the fjord, 600 m (3/8 mi) northwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-093; DFL-2276a; Admiralty C0866.1; NGA 2388.
* Sejet Forfyr
1902. Active; focal plane 3 m (10 ft); continuous green light. 3.5 m (11 ft) square wood building; the light is shown through a window. Lighthouse painted white; there are two vertical red bars on the seaward face. Trabas has a photo, Huelse also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the south side of Horsens Fjord 2 km (1.2 mi) northeast of Sejet. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-168; DFL-2282b; Admiralty C0870; NGA 2392.
* Sejet Bagfyr
1902. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous green light. 5 m (17 ft) square wood building; the light is shown through a window. Lighthouse painted white; there are three vertical red bars on the seaward face. Trabas has a photo, Huelse also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located beside a road 410 m (1350 ft) southwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-169; DFL-2282a; Admiralty C0870.1; NGA 2396.

Hedensted Lighthouses
* Hjarnø Forfyr
1902. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); continuous green light. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical wood tower; the light is mounted on the outside of the tower near the top. Lighthouse painted white; there are three groups of three vertical red bars on the seaward face. Trabas has Huelse's photo, but the small light has not been found in Bing's satellite view. The range guides ships into the Horsens Fjord. The rear light is on a tall communications tower. Located on the northwest side of the island of Hjarnø, which lies in the south side of the entrance to the fjord. The island is accessible by ferry from Snaptun. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-167; DFL-2270b; Admiralty C0860; NGA 2376.
* Træskohage
1904. Inactive since 1982. 16 m (52 ft) 2-stage round cylindrical tower with lantern and double gallery. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome painted red. Huelse's photo is at right, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The upper stage was added sometime after 1920. Located on a point of land on the north side of the Velje Fjord about 1.6 km (1 mi) west of Fakkegrav. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DEN-096; ex-Admiralty C0898.

Information available on lost lighthouses

Træskohage Fyr
Træskohage Light, Fakkegrav
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: South: Southeast Jylland | West: Jylland West Coast

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 16, 2006. Checked and revised November 15, 2013. Lighthouses: 41, lightships: 2. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.