Lighthouses of Western Algeria

Algeria has a long, 1280 km (800 mi) coastline on the southwestern shore of the Mediterranean opposite France and Spain. French troops landed in Algeria in 1830, and the country remained a French colony through World War II. A bitter struggle in the 1950s led to independence in 1962. Algeria's relations with Europe have remained rather touchy, and tourism from western countries is not well developed. As a result of this history, it's often easier to find old photos of Algerian lighthouses on the Internet than it is to find recent photos. (Accounts and photos from recent visits to Algerian lighthouses would certainly be welcome.)

This page describes lighthouses from the Moroccan border eastward through the Algiers area. There is a separate page for lighthouses of eastern Algeria.

The Arabic word for a lighthouse is mnarh or manara (منارة). Ra's is the word for a cape or headland. Aids to navigation in Algeria are operated by the Office National de Signalisation Maritime (ONSM). The limited information we have suggests that most of the historic French lighthouses are being maintained. Many may still have resident keepers.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Phares et Feux de Jalonnement
Lighthouse information posted by ONSM; small photos are included. The "carte de localisation" link leads to an interactive map.
Online List of Lights -Algeria
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
World of Lighthouses - Algeria
Photos by various photographers posted by Lightphotos.net.
Phares d'Afrique
Photos of African lighthouses posted by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller on the Phares du Monde web site.
Lighthouses in Algeria
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouses of Africa
Postcard images posted by Michel Forand.
Afrikanische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Phare de Cherchell
Cherchell Light, Cherchell, March 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Fawzi Feghoul

Tlemcen Province Lighthouses
* Ghazaouet (Nemours) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 92 m (302 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical tower rising from the center of a 1-story keeper's house. Entire building painted white. A photo is at right, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the landfall light for Ghazaouet. Located atop a steep hill at the southwestern corner of the harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-038; Admiralty E6720; NGA 22700.
Rocher des Deux Frères
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft) (?); two green flashes every 6 s. 6 m (20 ft) black post mounted on a square base. Base painted white, lantern black. Djawad Kettab has a photo, Aboumédienne Hadbi has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The Rocher des Deux Frères (Two Brothers Rock) is a giant split rock sitting right in the entrance to Ghazaouet harbor, no more than 200 meters (220 yd) south of the north jetty light. Accessible only by boat, and landing must be quite a feat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ALG-054; Admiralty E6723; NGA 22704.
Ghazaouet Môle
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous green light. 6 m (20 ft) post centered on a round 1-story concrete base. Post painted black. This light is on the left in Hamza Mouloudia's view of the harbor, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of a pier in Ghazaouet harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6726; NGA 22716.
* Ghazaouet Jetée Nord Spur
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous red light. 6 m (20 ft) post centered on a round 1-story concrete base. Post painted red. Aimed Chaieb has a closeup, another photo is available, the light is on the right in Hamza Mouloudia's view of the harbor, and Google has a satellite view. This light and the preceding light frame the entrance to the inner harbor. Located on a spur of the main breakwater of Ghazaouet harbor. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E6722.2; NGA 22712.
Ghazaouet Light
Ghazaouet Light, Ghazaouet
Town of Ghazaouet photo
* Ghazaouet Jetée Nord
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); red light occulting once every 4 s. 15 m (49 ft) post mounted on a round cylindrical concrete equipment room. Base painted white, post red. Aboumédienne Hadbi has a photo, the light is at the far right in a view of the breakwater, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater at Ghazaouet (called Nemours in colonial times). Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-037; Admiralty E6722; NGA 22708.

Aïn Témouchent Province Lighthouses
Île Rachgoun (Béni Saf)
1870. Active; focal plane 81 m (266 ft); two red flashes every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse is buff with deep red trim; lantern and gallery black. A 2013 photo is at right, Malek Ressam has a distant view and a closeup of the lantern, and Google has a good satellite view. Located atop an island about 8 km (5 mi) west of Béni Saf. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ALG-002; Admiralty E6718; NGA 22696.
Îles Habibas
1879. Active; focal plane 112 m (367 ft); white flash every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery black. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, the Degree Confluence Project has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. The photo at right also shows a stone obelisk that may have served as a daymarker before the lighthouse was built. The Îles Habibas consist of two rocky islands about 11 km (7 mi) northwest of Cap Sigale. Located at the summit of the western island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Réserve Naturelle Marine des Îles Habibas. ARLHS ALG-001; Admiralty E6714; NGA 22684.
Île Rachgoun Light
Îles Rachgoun Light, Béni Saf, May 2013
Panoramio photo copyright houarioran31; permission requested

Oran Province Lighthouses
Île Plane
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 6 m (20 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. 1-story keeper's cottage or utility building. Tower painted with red and black horizontal bands (an internationally recognized "isolated danger" daymark). Farid Amine has a photo, Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The tower seems taller than 6 m in Amine's photo. Located on a small island about 7 km (4.5 mi) due west of Cap Falcon. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6712; NGA 22676.
Cap Falcon
1868. Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); four white flashes every 25 s. 27 m (89 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story stone keeper's house. Malek Rassem has a closeup photo, Mohamed Bisker has a 2007 photo, Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, and Google has a good satellite view. An undated photo by M. Le Gales also shows a signal station in front of the lighthouse; it is not known if this building survives. The lighthouse marks the western entrance to the Bay of Oran and is the traditional landfall light for Oran. Located on the cape, about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Aïn el-Türck. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-003; Admiralty E6708; NGA 22672.
[Mers el-Kebir]
1968. Destroyed during World War I, This was a 23 m (75 ft) octagonal tower rising from a keeper's house. The lighthouse was not replaced after the war. Alain Michot has posted a prewar photo and a 1963 photo; a 2010 photo is also available. It appears that a signal tower may have been built on the foundation of the lighthouse, and this tower is seen in a Google satellite view. The lighthouse was at the eastern end of a historic fortress. Located on a sharp promontory north of Mers-el-Kebir, at the western entrance to the Bay of Oran. ARLHS ALG-025.
Oran Jetée du Large (Jetée Fellaoucene) (2)
1905 (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 15 s. 15 m (49 ft) tripod cast iron tower with lantern, gallery, and watch room. Lighthouse painted white. Malek Ressam has a distant view, another view is available, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse replaced the enclosed cast iron tower shown in the Lighthouse Explorer image. Located at the end of the breakwater mole at Oran. Site status unknown, but there should be good views from the waterfront. ARLHS ALG-039; Admiralty E6678; NGA 22584.
Cap de l'Aiguille
1906. Active; focal plane 62 m (203 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern black. Malek Ressam has a distant photo, a closeup is available, and Bing has a satellite view. In a view from the sea, the rocky pinnacle called l'Aiguille (The Needle) is seen at the left. Located on a sharp cape at the eastern entrance to the Bay of Oran, about 30 km (20 mi) northeast of the city. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-027; Admiralty E6674; NGA 22580.
Îlot d'Arzew (2)
1848. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); red flash every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keepers house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dark green. Maya-Anaïs Yataghène's photo is at right, Guyomard and Carceller have a photo, Malek Ressam has a fine closeup, a 2009 photo and a 2007 photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a small island off Cap Arzew, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northeast of the port of Arzew. Accessible only by boat, although there are clearly good views from the mainland. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ALG-052; Admiralty E6672; NGA 22540.
Îlot d'Arzew Light
Îlot d'Arzew Light, Arzew, May 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Maya-Anaïs Yataghène

Mostaganem Province Lighthouses
* Mostaganem (2)
1859 (station established 1844). Inactive (since 1914?). Approx. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern attached to a keeper's house. Lightphotos.net has a closeup photo, Malek Ressam has a photo, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. This historic lighthouse does not seem to be well known. Located at the north end of the Rue Martin Luther King, overlooking the harbor of Mostaganem. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-062.
Mostaganem Traversée Sud Ouest
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green light occulting twice every 6 s. 7 m (23 ft) post centered on a 1-story hexagonal concrete equipment room. Lighthouse unpainted, post painted green. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west breakwater mole at the entrance to Mostaganem harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6662; NGA 22532.
Mostaganem Môle de la Libération (Jetée du Sud-Ouest) (3)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green flash every 4 s. 7 m (23 ft) post centered on a 1-story hexagonal concrete equipment room. Lighthouse unpainted, post painted green. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was a short pylon; Forand has a postcard view of a cast iron tourelle that probably replaced it around 1914. Located at the end of the quay opposite the Jetée Nord Spur Light. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6664; NGA 22528.
Mostaganem Jetée Nord Spur (3)
Date unknown (station established 1899). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red light occulting twice every 6 s. 7 m (23 ft) post centered on a 1-story hexagonal concrete equipment room. Lighthouse unpainted, post painted red. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was a short pylon; Forand has a postcard view of a cast iron tourelle that probably replaced it around 1914. Huelse has a historic postcard view showing this tourelle on the left and the Jetée du Sud-Ouest light at the extreme right. Located on a short spur of the breakwater mole marking the entrance to the inner harbor of Mostaganem. Site status unknown; the light must be easy to see from the waterfront. Admiralty E6661; NGA 22536.
Mostaganem Jetée Nord (2)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); four flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Upper half of the lighthouse painted red, lower half white. Trabas has Capt. Peter Mosselberger's photo, a distant view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The modern light replaced a cast iron tourelle. Forand has a postcard view that shows all three of the cast iron lights, this one being at the far left. Located on the end of the breakwater mole at Mostaganem. Site status unknown; the light must be easy to see from the waterfront. ARLHS ALG-041; Admiralty E6660; NGA 22524.
* Cap Ivi (Cap Ouillis)
1898. Active; focal plane 118 m (387 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (59 ft) octagonal stucco-clad masonry tower with lantern and castellated gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. The lighthouse is painted yellow with brown trim; the lantern roof is black. A photo is at right, a 2008 closeup photo is available, Malek Ressam has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a headland about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Mostaganem. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-013; Admiralty E6658; NGA 22520.
Cap Ivi Light
Cap Ivi Light, Mostaganem, March 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Mosta_Men

Chlef Province Lighthouses
Pointe Columbi (El Marsa)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 29 m (95 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Malek Ressam has a photo and a closeup, another photo is available, and Google has a good satellite view. Located on a headland about 5 km (3 mi) northeast of El Marsa. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-042; Admiralty E6656; NGA 22512.
Ténès Jetée Ouest
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green light occulting twice every 6 s. 7 m (23 ft) stone post mounted on a 1-story stone base. The lighthouse is unpainted. The light is at the extreme right in Khellouf Noureddine's photo of the harbor, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west breakwater at Ténès. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-067; Admiralty E6650; NGA 22496.
Ténès Jetée Est
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red light occulting twice every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) stone post mounted on a 1-story stone base. The lighthouse is unpainted. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the east breakwater at Ténès. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-066; Admiralty E6651; NGA 22492.
* Cap Ténès
1865. Active; focal plane 89 m (292 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 31 m (102 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 2-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dark green. Kamel Lebtahi's photo is at right, Malek Ressam has a great photo, a 2008 photo is available, and Google has a good satellite view. Located on a headland about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Ténès. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-018; Admiralty E6646; NGA 22488.
Phare du Cap Ténès
Cap Ténès Light, Ténès, August 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Kamel Lebtahi

Tipaza Province Lighthouses
Cherchell (Fort Joinville)
1855. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 15 s. 26 m (85 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Long unpainted, the lighthouse has been painted white in recent years; lantern painted black. Fawzi Feghoul's photo appears at the top of the page, Malek Ressam has a good photo, a panoramic view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Cherchell is a small port about 90 km (55 mi) west of Algiers. It has an illustrious history, dating back to an Egyptian settlement dating to about 1500 BC; in Roman times it was known as Caesarea and served as the capital of the Roman kingdom of Mauretania. The lighthouse is inside the walls of Fort Joinville, built by the French on an island sheltering the harbor. The island is connected to land by a breakwater. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-019; Admiralty E6636; NGA 22468.
Grand Hammam (Hamman)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); quick-flashing white light. 12 m (39 ft) solid white concrete pillar. The light is atop an old acetylene cylinder at the peak of the tower. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a rocky reef just outside Cherchell harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6637; NGA 22484.
* Ra's el Kalia (Tipaza)
1869. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white light occulting once every 4 s. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dark green. One of Alexandre Faulx-Briole's photos is at right, Malek Ressam has a photo, Trabas also has a photo, a nice panoramic view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the tip of a peninsula about 2 km (1.2 mi) northeast of Tipasa. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-053; Admiralty E6630; NGA 22444.

Tipaza Light, Tipaza, January 2004
photo copyright Alexandre Faulx-Briole; used by permission

Alger (Algiers) Province Lighthouses
* Sidi Fredj (Sidi Ferruch)
Date unknown (probably around 1970). Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); three white flashes every 12 s. 24 m (79 ft) white building, the light being displayed from the top. Malek Ressam has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The nature of the building is not known. Sidi Fredj (formerly Sidi Ferruch) is one of the few tourist developments in Algeria and the only harbor in the country catering specifically to yachts. The area, about 20 km (13 mi) west of Algiers, has historic significance as the site of the first French troop landings in 1830. Located at the northeastern corner of the Sidi Fredj peninsula, adjacent to the marina. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS ALG-046; Admiralty E6624; NGA 22432.
* Sidi Fredj Jetée Principale (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical white concrete tower standing on a semicircular 1-story pierhead structure. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. An observation platform surrounds the light. Trabas has a photo of the original post light. Located at the end of the main breakwater of Sidi Fredj. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E6624.6; NGA 22434.
* Cap Caxine
1868. Active; focal plane 64 m (210 ft); white flash every 5 s. 33 m (108 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern blue. Malek Ressam has a fine photo, Mohamed Bisker has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse is the landfall light for Algiers for eastbound ships. Located on a headland just of the N11 highway at Boukikax, about 15 km (9 mi) west of Algiers and 5 km (3 mi) northeast of Aïn Benian. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-008; Admiralty E6621; NGA 22424.
* Alger (Amirauté, Le Peñon)
1834 (station established before 1700). Inactive since the 1920s or 1930s. 16 m (52 ft) 12-sided cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery rising from a 12-sided building. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Alexandre Faulx-Briole's photo appears at right, Malek Ressam has a more distant photo, Mohamed Bisker has a 2009 photo, a 2010 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The Peñon is a 16th century fortress at the center of the Amirauté (Admiralty), a complex of historic buildings on what was originally several small islands just off the coast. (In Arabic, this bastion was called simply El Djazaïr (the islands); "Alger" and "Algeria" are corruptions of this Arabic name.) Located near the foot of the Jetée du Nord, on a small island now connected to the mainland by a causeway. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-048.

Phare de l'Amirauté, Alger, January 2004
photo copyright Alexandre Faulx-Briole
used by permission
Alger Jetée Kheireddine Head
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); two white flashes every 3 s. 17 m (56 ft) white concrete post with gallery. This light appears in the distance in Trabas's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the 1.5 km (1 mi) Jetée du Nord, the breakwater protecting the harbor of Algiers. Site and tower closed. Admiralty E6602; NGA 22380.
Alger Jetée Kheireddine Spur (Passe Nord Feu Vert)
Date unknown (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green flash every 4 s. 8 m (26 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern green. A photo by John Perivolaris is at right, a 2008 photo is available, Trabas has a distant photo, the light is on the left in Malek Rassem's view, and Bing has a satellite view. The focal plane and tower heights listed appear to be too low, based on the photo. Located at the north end of the of the detached Jetée de l'Est breakwater, marking the south side of the Passe Nord entrance. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-032; Admiralty E6604; NGA 22384.
Alger Passe Nord Feu Rouge
Date unknown (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 4 s. 7 m (23 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. An excellent photo is available, Trabas has a distant view, the light is on the right in Malek Rassem's view, a 2007 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The focal plane and tower heights listed appear to be too low, based on the photos. Located at the north end of the of the detached Jetée de l'Est breakwater, marking the south side of the Passe Nord entrance. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-032; Admiralty E6606; NGA 22388.
Alger Bassin de l'Agha Nord
Date unknown. Active; continuous green light. 7 m (23 ft) post attached to a small equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted white, lantern green. This light is in the center of Omar Branine's view of the harbor, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the northernmost spur of the detached main breakwater of Algiers, marking the northern entrance to the inner harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6617; NGA 22420.
Alger Môle du Amiral Mouchez
Date unknown. Active; continuous red light. 7 m (23 ft) post attached to a small equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on the northeast corner of the mole, marking the northern entrance to the inner harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6616; NGA 22416.
Alger Bassin de l'Agha Sud (Passe Mustapha Feu Vert)
Date unknown. Active; continuous green light. 7 m (23 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern green. The light is in the center foreground of an aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the central spur of the detached main breakwater of Algiers, marking the southern entrance to the inner harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6613; NGA 22408.
Feu de la Jetée Mustapha
Feu Vert de la Passe Nord, Alger, June 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by John Perivolaris
Alger Grand Môle (Passe Mustapha Feu Rouge)
Date unknown. Active; continuous red light. 7 m (23 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. The light is in the right foregound of an aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a short breakwater projecting from the Grand Môle of Algiers, marking the southern entrance to the inner harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6612; NGA 22412.
Alger Passe Sud Feu Vert (Jetée Mustapha Spur)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern green. Trabas has a distant photo, the light is at the left center of an aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the easternmost spur of the detached main breakwater of Algiers, marking the southern entrance to the harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6611; NGA 22400.
Alger Passe Sud Feu Rouge (Brise-Lames Est)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red light, 3 s on, 1 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. The light is in the center of an aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the easternmost breakwater of Algiers, marking the southern entrance to the harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty E6610; NGA 22404.
* Cap Matifou
1868. Active; focal plane 74 m (243 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square masonry tower with gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story keeper's house. Malek Ressam has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Ressam's photo shows that the lantern has been removed and the tower has been reduced in height from its original 11 m (36 ft). Historically, this lighthouse was the landfall light for Algiers for westbound ships; today it is a minor aid to navigation. The lighthouse also carries an aviation beacon. Huelse has a historic postcard view showing the original appearance of the lighthouse, and Forand has a similar postcard view. Located on a headland at the eastern entrance to the Bay of Algiers, about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of Aïn Taya. Site status unknown but probably open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-014; Admiralty E6594; NGA 22368

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Eastern Algeria | West: Mediterranean Morocco

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted August 8, 2005. Checked and revised October 31, 2013. Lighthouses: 39. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.