Lighthouses of Eastern Algeria

Algeria has a long, 1280 km (800 mi) coastline on the southwestern shore of the Mediterranean opposite France and Spain. French troops landed in Algeria in 1830, and the country remained a French colony through World War II. A bitter struggle in the 1950s led to independence in 1962. Algeria's relations with Europe have remained rather touchy, and tourism from western countries is not well developed. As a result of this history, it's often easier to find old photos of Algerian lighthouses on the Internet than it is to find recent photos. Accounts and photos from recent visits to Algerian lighthouses would certainly be welcome.

This page describes lighthouses of the Algerian coast from east of Algiers to the Tunisian border. There is a separate page for lighthouses of western Algeria.

The Arabic word for a lighthouse is mnarh or manara (منارة). Ra's is the word for a cape or headland. Aids to navigation in Algeria are operated by the Office National de Signalisation Maritime (ONSM). The limited information we have suggests that most of the historic French lighthouses are being maintained. Many may still have resident keepers.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Phares et Feux de Jalonnement
Lighthouse information posted by ONSM; small photos are included. The "carte de localisation" link leads to an interactive map.
Online List of Lights -Algeria
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
World of Lighthouses - Algeria
Photos by various photographers posted by Lightphotos.net.
Phares d'Afrique
Photos of African lighthouses posted by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller on the Phares du Monde web site.
Lighthouses in Algeria
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouses of Africa
Postcard images posted by Michel Forand.
Afrikanische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

New Bengut Light
2010 Cap Bengut Light, Dellys, May 2011
SkyscraperCity photo copyright Lyes; permission requested

Tizi Ouzou Province (Dellys Area) Lighthouses
* Cap Bengut (1)
1881. Inactive since 2003. 29 m (95 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome green. This elegant and historic lighthouse was damaged seriously by the earthquake of 21 May 2003, which caused great damage throughout the Dellys area. Damage is visible in Ressam's fine photo and in a 2008 photo by Mazouz Abdelaziz. Google has a satellite view. A new lighthouse was completed in 2010 (description below and photo above). In 2009 work began to stabilize the old one, which is to be preserved as a historic monument. Located in a residential neighborhood on a headland west of Dellys, about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of the Pointe de Dellys lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-005.
* Cap Bengut (2) (?)
2004. Inactive, if it survives. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) triangular cylindrical skeletal tower. Lighthouse painted red with a white band at the top. The tower is seen on the right in a 2009 photo. This temporary tower replaced the light in the historic lighthouse after the 2003 earthquake. It may have been removed after completion of the new lighthouse (next entry). Located near the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
* Cap Bengut (3)
2010. Active; focal plane 63 m (207 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 29 m (95 ft) octagonal concrete tower with four robust buttresses, lantern and gallery, rising from a semicircular 1-story administration building. The tower is unpainted white concrete; lantern gray metallic. A photo is at the top of this page, Nasser Drif has a February 2009 photo showing construction in progress and a June 2010 photo of the completed lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. Located a few feet east of the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. DZ-2700; Admiralty E6592; NGA 22360.
Pointe de Dellys (Dalïs) (1)
1884. Inactive since 2003(?). 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a small keeper's house. Lighthouse is white; lantern roof red. This lighthouse was heavily damaged by the earthquake of 21 May 2003. There's a photo of the damaged lighthouse and the photo at right shows the ruins of the old lighthouse behind the new one (next entry). It appears from these photos that the lantern was transferred to the new tower. Malek Ressam has a distant view showing the undamaged lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was often called the Petit Phare de Dellys to distinguish it from the larger Cap Bengut lighthouse. Located at the end of a very sharp (spear-like) point of land projecting into the Mediterranean just north of the port of Dellys. Site and tower closed.
Pointe de Dellys (Dalïs) (2)
2007(?). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted tan with white trim; lantern painted red. The photo at right shows the ruins of the old lighthouse behind the new one. Apparently the new lighthouse has the lantern of the old one. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ALG-020; Admiralty E6584; NGA 22348.
* Tigzirt South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 10 m (33 ft). Green light, characteristic unknown. 7.5 m (25 ft) square cylindrical tower rising from a square 1-story equipment shelter. Lighthouse unpainted except for green bands at the top. A photo shows both breakwater lighthouses, Wikipedia has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the south breakwater of Tigzirt, a small port about 25 km (15 mi) east of Dellys. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed.
Phare de la Pointe de Dellys
Pointe de Dellys Light, Dellys, August 2007
Panoramio photo copyright moumouhe; permission requested
* Tigzirt South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 10 m (33 ft). Red light, characteristic unknown. 7.5 m (25 ft) square cylindrical tower rising from a square 1-story equipment shelter. Lighthouse unpainted except for red bands at the top. A photo shows both breakwater lighthouses, Wikipedia has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north breakwater of Tigzirt. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed.
Cap Corbelin
1908. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); three flashes in a 2+1 pattern, white or red depending on direction, every 15 s. 13 m (43 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Two keeper's houses. Malek Ressam has a closeup photo, Trabas also has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Located beside the N24 coastal highway on a headland near Azeffoun. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-009; Admiralty E6580; NGA 22340.

Béjaïa Province Lighthouses
* Cap Sigli
1906. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); white flash every 5 s. 25 m (82 ft) octagonal cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery black. Malek Ressam has a great photo, Trabas has a closeup, a 2008 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse also carries an aviation beacon. Located on a headland about 50 km (30 mi) west northwest of Béjaïa. The site is easily accessible from the coast N24 highway. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-016; Admiralty E6578; NGA 22336.
Cap Carbon (1)
1851. Active; focal plane 220 m (722 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a compact keeper's house complex. Lighthouse painted white. This lighthouse is perched atop a giant rock, similar to the Rock of Gibraltar, where the Grande Kabylie range of the Atlas Mountains comes down to the sea. A distant view of the station is at right, the lighthouse can be seen in another photo of the cape, Bakka Nour has posted a photo showing the spectacular scenery, a July 2005 view is also available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The cape is included in the Gouraya National Park. Located a scant 3 km (1.75 mi) north of the port of Béjaïa (called Bougie in colonial times). Site and tower closed. ARLHS ALG-007; Admiralty E6572; NGA 22328.
Cap Carbon (2) (feu auxiliare)
1908. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); flash every 1.5 s, white or red depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical tower attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This second Cap Carbon lighthouse was built because the primary light is sometimes obscured by low clouds. It is located at the foot of the cliff 150 m (490 ft) northeast of the primary light -- and 186 m (610 ft) straight down. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ALG-057; Admiralty E6573; NGA 22332.
Béjaïa (Jetée Est)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white light occulting once every 4 s. 15 m (49 ft) tripod tower, painted white; lantern is black. Trabas has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the east breakwater of Béjaïa. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ALG-029; Admiralty E6566; NGA 22324.
Phare du Cap Carbon
Cap Carbon Light, Béjaïa, July 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Zil

Jijel (Djidjelli) Province Lighthouses
* Ra's Afia (Grand Phare de Jijel)
1871. Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); red flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is red. A 2013 photo is at right, Naim Hallal has a 2011 photo, Malek Ressam has a closeup photo, a distant photo is available, Abdelmalek Benidir has posted a good photo, a page of photos is available, Rachid Merzougui has a 2008 photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a good satellite view. This well-known and often-photographed lighthouse is at the end of a sharp peninsula a short distance off the coastal N43 highway about 8 km (5 mi) west of Jijel. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-029; Admiralty E6558; NGA 22308.
* Jijel (Djidjelli) Jetée Nord
1841. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting three times, in a 1+2 pattern, every 12 s. 12 m (39 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Malek Ressam has a photo, a page of photos is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the elbow of the north jetty in Jijel, which is the breakwater for the harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-040; Admiralty E6550; NGA 22292.

Skikda Province Lighthouses
Ra's el Maghreb (2)
1906 (station established 1871). Inactive. Round masonry tower attached to a keeper's house. Entire structure is white. This lighthouse appears at upper right in Malek Ressam's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse had a focal plane of 54 m (177 ft), substantially higher than the present lighthouse. The abandoned buildings must be endangered.
Ra's el Maghreb (3)
Date unknown (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 4 s. 15 m (49 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery attached to a keeper's house. Entire structure is white. Malek Ressam has a photo in which the lighthouse appears at the bottom of the slope on the right and there appears to be a shipwreck near the light; Google has an indistinct satellite view. More information is needed on the history of this station. Located on a headland about 10 km (6.5 mi) west of Ouled Attia. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-045; Admiralty E6544; NGA 22288.
Ra's Afia Light
Ra's Afia Light, Jijel, August 2013
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Mouh2jijel
Cap Bougaroun (2)
Date unknown (station established 1869). Active; focal plane 91 m (299 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. Malek Ressam has a photo, a distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. The lantern appears to have been transferred from the historic lighthouse (next entry). Located on a steep bluff at the northernmost point of the province, about 15 km (9 mi) northwest of Collo. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-006; Admiralty E6542; NGA 22284.
Cap Bougaroun (1)
1869. Inactive. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal tower attached to the front of a 2-story keeper's house. Lantern removed. The lighthouse is unpainted. A 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Above the lighthouse is a sémaphore (signal station) of roughly similar design but without a lantern. Historic photos show both buildings in 1941. The lighthouse had a focal plane of 172 m (564 ft), making it too high in bad weather. Located about 800 m (1/2 mi) southeast of the modern lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-006; Admiralty E6542; NGA 22284.
Cap Collo (Pointe Djerda)
1863. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); green flash every 5 s. 11 m (36 ft) octagonal tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern painted green. Mehdi Bouznad has a photo, Malek Ressam has a distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a sharp point at the end of the Djerda peninsula about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northeast of Collo. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-044; Admiralty E6540; NGA 22280.
Île Srigina (2)
1906 (station established 1847). Active; focal plane 54 m (177 ft); red flash every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. Tower painted white; lantern dome is red. Daniel Cotteau has a view from the mainland, a 2012 aerial view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the western entrance to the Golfe de Stora. Located atop a steep-sided island about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of Stora. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ALG-023; Admiralty E6534; NGA 22272.
Île du Lion
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 27 m (89 ft); green flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) square skeletal tower topped by an enclosed structure accessed by an external ladder. Skeletal tower painted white, top structure green. A distant view is available, but the slender tower is not seen in Bing's satellite view. Located atop a small island about 1.6 km (1 mi) south of Île Srigina. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty E6533; NGA 22268.
* Îlot des Singes (Stora)
1847. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous light, white or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on the platform of a former medieval fort. A photo is at right, Zinou Zebar has a 2010 closeup photo, Metatla Nordine has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This picturesque and historic lighthouse is one of the best known tourist attractions of the Skikda area. Located on a small island just offshore on the north side of Stora; the island is connected to the mainland by an arched stone bridge. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-004; Admiralty E6530; NGA 22264.
#Stora Jetée Est
Date unknown. Active; focal plane not known; continuous green light. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) pyramidal tower with gallery, painted white, with a small lantern painted green. A photo and a second photo are available, but Google's satellite view shows that the light has been removed in connection with an expansion of the port. Stora is a small fishing port about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Skikda. Located at the end of the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-065; ex-Admiralty E6532.
* Skikda Jetée Ouest (Pointe du Château-Vert) (3)
Date unknown (station established 1874). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous green light. 8 m (26 ft) round tower, painted white with a green "top"; probably a green lantern. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Michel Forand has postcard views of the original light, a masonry tower, and of the second light (1910), a cast iron tower. Huelse also has a postcard view of the original light. Located at the end of the west jetty, also called the Quai du Château-Vert, a pier at the west end of the old harbor of Skikda. It is not known if the pier can be walked, but the lighthouse is easy to see from the waterfront. Tower closed. ARLHS ALG-056 and 060; Admiralty E6524; NGA 22244.
Phare de Stora
Îlot des Singes Light, Stora, August 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Vikoula5
* Skikda Traverse Nord (2)
Date unknown (station established about 1920). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous red light. 8 m (26 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. The lighthouse is at the right edge of a view of the harbor, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of a short spur of the north jetty, opposite the west jetty light (next entry). It is not known if the jetty can be walked, but the lighthouse is easy to see from the waterfront. Tower closed. ARLHS ALG-055; Admiralty E6523; NGA 22248.
* Skikda (Philippeville) Jetée Nord
1913. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 14 m (56 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story square base. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery red. A good photo, a second photo, and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the long north jetty enclosing the old harbor of Skikda. It is not known if the jetty can be walked, but the lighthouse is easy to see from the waterfront. Tower closed. ARLHS ALG-047; Admiralty E6522; NGA 22240.
* Cap de Fer (Ra's el Hadid)
1859. Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, rising from 1-story keeper's house. Jalel Hadj has a photo, Abdallah Boughaba has a photo, the lighthouse is dimly visible in a view from the sea, the lighthouse appears on a 2002 postage stamp, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a spectacular cape at the northern entrance to the Golfe de Stora. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-011; Admiralty E6516; NGA 22228.
Chetaïbi (Cap Takouch, Herbillon)
1881. Active; focal plane 128 m (420 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting once every 4 s. 12 m (39 ft) round tower with lantern. Tower painted white, lantern black. Malek Ressam has a good photo, a historic photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a prominent headland about 2 km (1.2 mi) north of Chetaïbi. Site status unknown; the scarcity of photos suggests that this lighthouse is not easy to visit. ARLHS ALG-017; Admiralty E6510; NGA 22216.
Roche Akcine (Axin)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (62 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 16 m (52 ft) tower, painted black with one red horizontal band. No photo available, and Bing has only a very distant satellite view. Located on a reef about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) off a promontory about 10 km (6 mi) east of Chetaïbi. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E6508; NGA 22212.

Annaba Province Lighthouses
* Cap de Garde (2)
1884 (station established 1841). Active; focal plane 143 m (469 ft); white flash every 5 s. 14 m (56 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 2-story stone keeper's house. Kamel Lebtahi's photo is at right, Maher Baraket has a second photo, a third photo is available, Mohammed Moncef has a good view of the station, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the landfall light for Annaba, located atop a very prominent headland about 9 km (5.5 mi) north of Annaba. Site probably open, tower probably closed. ARLHS ALG-012; Admiralty E6508; NGA 22208.
* Fort Génois
1841. Active; focal plane 61 m (200 ft); white light, occulting twice every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) lantern on the wall of a medieval fort. A photo of the fort does not reveal the light; Bing has a satellite view. The fort, built by Genoa in the 15th century, is atop a steep promontory on the north side of Annaba. Site probably open, tower status unknown. ARLHS ALG-050; Admiralty E6504; NGA 22204.
* Annaba (Bône) Jetée du Lion (2)
Date unknown (station established 1841). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); green light, occulting three times every 12 s. 17 m (56 ft) round cast iron tourelle with lantern and gallery, mounted on a round masonry base. Tower painted white, lantern green. A good 2011 photo is available, also another photo (third photo in the top row of thumbnails), and Bing has a satellite view. Annaba, known as Bône in colonial days, is the principal seaport of northeastern Algeria. Located at the end of the jetty in Annaba. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-034; Admiralty E6486; NGA 22176.
Cap de Garde Light
Cap de Garde Light, Annaba, October 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Kamel Lebtahi
* Annaba (Bône) Jetée Sud
1880. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); red light, occulting twice every 6 s. 13 m (43 ft) white round tower, a typical French cast iron tourelle, with lantern and gallery. The light is on the right of a view across the harbor, another distant photo is available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the end of the south jetty in Annaba. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-035; Admiralty E6490; NGA 22180.
Cap Rosa
1869. Active; focal plane 130 m (427 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 13 m (43 ft) round stone or concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white. Malek Ressam has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a headland about 25 km (15 mi) west of El Kala. Site status unknown. ARLHS ALG-015; Admiralty E6484; NGA 22168.
* El Kala (La Calle)
1862. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous red light. 7.5 m (25 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Building painted white, lantern red. A photo by Régis Corbet is at right, another 2008 photo is available, Rachid Merzougui has a good closeup, and Google has a satellite view. El Kala is a fishing port at the northeastern corner of Algeria, about 18 km (11 mi) west of the Tunisian border. Located on Pointe Presqu'île, a short peninsula enclosing the north side of the harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ALG-049; Admiralty E6482; NGA 22164.

Feu de la Calle
El Kala Light, El Kala, May 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Régis Corbet

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Cap Bouac (1847-1930s?), Béjaïa (Bougie). This light was on the historic Fort Sidi Abdel Kaber, and it is possible that the building that carried the light is still in existence. We need a photo of this lighthouse. ARLHS ALG-061.

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Tunisia | West: Western Algeria

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted August 8, 2005. Checked and revised November 10, 2013. Lighthouses: 35. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.