Lighthouses of Ecuador

Ecuador is located on the northern Pacific coast of South America between Colombia and Peru. Guayaquil is the major seaport, but there are several others, including Esmeraldas in the north, Manta on the central coast, and Puerto Bolívar in the south.

Ecuador also administers the Galápagos Islands, but lights on those islands are described on a separate page.

The aids to navigation in the country are not well known, and additional information of any of these lighthouses would be very welcome. Special thanks to Eduardo Estrada, author of Historia Marítima del Ecuador, for information on the historic lens at the Salinas Yacht Club, and to Michel Forand for sharing his research on Ecuadorian lighthouses.

Aids to navigation in Ecuador are owned by the Navy (Armada del Ecuador) and maintained by the Departamento de Ayudas a Navegación of the Navy's Instituto Oceanográfico de la Armada (INOCAR). The Spanish word for a lighthouse is faro, and in Latin America that term is generally used for lightbeacons of all sizes.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. EC numbers are Ecuadorian light list numbers as given by the Admiralty. Admiralty numbers are from volume G of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 111.

General Sources
Derrotero de las Costas Ecuadorianas
2011-2012 Mariner's guide to the coast of Ecuador; it includes small photos of many of the lights.
Derrotero de la Costa Continental e Insular del Ecuador
2005 edition of the same guide; it has a different collection of small photos.
Los Faros de la República del Ecuador 1841-1941
Chapter 13 of Estrada's book Historia Marítima del Ecuador. Sadly, none of these historic lighthouses survive.
Online List of Lights - Ecuador
Photos by Capt. Peter Mosselberger posted by Alexander Trabas.
Phares d'Amérique
From their Phares du Monde web site, Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller have photos of four lights in the Galápagos and two lights of the mainland.

Faro de Manta
Manta Light, Manta, March 2008
Flickr photo copyright Dave Nelson; used by permission


El Oro Province Lighthouses
Note: El Oro is Ecuador's southernmost coastal province, located on the south shore of the Gulf of Guayaquil adjoining Perú. 80% of Ecuador's banana exports are shipped through the ports of Machala and Puerto Bolívar.
Payana (Isla San Gregorio) (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two white flashes every 8 s. 15 m (49 ft) triangular skeletal tower, painted white. The 2005 Derrotero has a small photo, and Bing has a satellite view that may show the lighthouse. The original lighthouse was a round concrete tower. Located at the westernmost point of the Isla San Gregorio, just north of the Peruvian border. Site status unknown. EC-1263; Admiralty G2998; NGA 0522.
Punta Jambelí (Machala) (3?)
Around 1970 (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 16 m (53 ft) round concrete tower painted with red and white spiral bands. Freya Hoffmeister has a 2013 photo, the 2005 Derrotero has a small photo, and Google has a satellite view. The present lighthouse replaced a skeletal tower; Hoffmeister's photo shows that it has a distinct lean. Located on Punta Jambelí, a low point on the west side of the entrance to the Río Santa Rosa, leading to Machala, the capital of El Rio Province. Site status unknown. EC-1255; Admiralty G3028; NGA 0512.
* Puerto Bolívar
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); two white flashes every 10 s, visible only along the line of approach to the harbor. Light mounted on the top of a 32 m (105 ft) square steel and masonry church steeple. Andrés Felipe Arias Palma has a 2012 photo showing the light at the top of the steeple, a 2008 photo and a 2009 closeup are available, but clouds obscure Google's satellite view. Puerto Bolívar is an important seaport near Machala at the southern entrance to the Bahía de Guayaquil; bananas and shrimp are the principal exports. Located on the waterfront of Puerto Bolívar. Site open, tower closed. EC-1261; Admiralty G3029; NGA 0520.
Bajo Salinas
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 13 m (43 ft) skeletal tower mounted on a sqaure concrete platform supported by piles. No photo availabe, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the entrance to the bay, which leads to Puerto Bolívar. Admiralty G3028.6; NGA 0517.
Isla Santa Clara (5?)
Date unknown (station established 1841). Active; focal plane 81 m (266 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) square concrete skeletal tower with enclosed lower section. Two 1-story buildings. An INOCAR photo is at right, the 2005 Derrotero has a smaller version of the same photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view and a satellite view of the nearby station buildings. This is Ecuador's oldest light station; Lighthouse Explorer has a drawing (from Estrada's book) of the original lighthouse. The original wooden tower was replaced by a taller wooden tower in 1872 and then by an iron skeletal tower in 1921. The lantern and lens from the second lighthouse were purchased by the Guayaquil Yacht Club in 1956, and for two decades they were displayed on one of the club's buildings, as seen in a postcard view posted by Michel Forand. After more than 15 years in storage, the lantern and lens were installed in 1993 on the Salinas Yacht Club lighthouse (see below); the Salinas club has a page with the history of the light station. Located on a small island in the middle of the southern entrance to the Bahía de Guayaquil, about 55 km (35 mi) west of Machala. Accessible only by boat; ecotours to the island, a well-known bird sanctuary, may be available. Site manager: Refugio de Vida Silvestre Santa Clara. Site status unknown. ARLHS ECU-001; Admiralty G2996; NGA 0508.
Isla Santa Clara Light
Isla Santa Clara Light
INOCAR photo

Guayas Province Lighthouses
Note: Located at the head of the Gulf of Guayaquil, Guayas Province includes the seaport of Guayaquil itself, Ecuador's largest city. The lights in this group are the largest among the many navigational aids guiding vessels to this major port.
Punta Arenas (4?)
Date unknown (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 18 m (59 ft) skeletal tower, painted white, mounted on a square pier or platform. No photo available, but the light is seen in Bing's distant satellite view. The original lighthouse, seen in a drawing on p. 169 of Estrada's book, was a 14 m (46 ft) square wood tower. It was replaced in 1889, but the subsequent history of the station is unclear. A Fresnel lens from this lighthouse is displayed at the Hostería Galeriay Museo Náutico Farallón Dillon in Ballenita. Located off the southeastern tip of the large Isla de Puná, marking the north side of the southern entrance to the Bahía de Guayaquil. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ECU-002; EC-1216; Admiralty G3026; NGA 0500.
Punta Española (4?)
Around 2010 (station established 1874). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); two white flashes every 12 s. 15 m (49 ft) skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a point of land near the northeastern tip of Isla de Puná. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. EC-1221; Admiralty G3031; NGA 0496.
Punta Mandinga (5?)
Around 2010 (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 52 m (171 ft); two white flashes every 8 s. 15 m (49 ft) skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the northeastern tip of Isla de Puná. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. EC-1224; Admiralty G3032; NGA 0492.
Estero Salado (Canal del Morro) A Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. The tower also carries a slatted daymark, painted red with a white vertical stripe. The Estero Salado is the northwestern entrance to the Bahía de Guayaquil. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, but Google's satellite view has no detail in this area. Located on the northwest side of the Isla de Puná. Site status unknown. Admiralty G3038.1; NGA 0456.
Data de Posorja Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 4 s. 23 m (75 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, carrying a rectangular red daymark. Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, but only the shadow of the daymark is seen in Bing's satellite view. The front light is on a skeletal mast. Located in the village of Posorja, on the mainland side of the Canal del Morro. Site status unknown. EC-1101; Admiralty G3040.81; NGA 0450.1.
Los Farallones
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 4 s. 10 m (33 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, carrying a rectangular red daymark. Trabas has Capt. Peter's distant view, another view from the sea is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the Isla de los Pajaros, a small island in the narrowest passage of the Canal del Morro, between the northwestern corner of the Isla de Puná and the mainland. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. EC-1112; Admiralty G3040.6; NGA 0460.
Estero Salado (Canal del Morro) B Range Rear (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 26 m (85 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. The tower also carries a slatted daymark, painted red with a white vertical stripe. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the bay about 12 km (7.5 mi) southeast of Puerto Ayalan. Site status unknown. Admiralty G3041.1; NGA 0463.
Estero Salado C Range Rear (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 23 m (75 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white, mounted on a platform supported by four piles. The tower also carries a slatted daymark, painted red with a white vertical stripe. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo (also seen at right), and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located in the water off Puerto Pizarro. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G3043.1; NGA 0472.
Estero Salado E Range Rear (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 25 m (82 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. The tower also carries a large slatted daymark, painted red with a white vertical stripe. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a good satellite view. Located on the east side of the bay about 12 km (7.5 mi) opposite Carrizal. Site status unknown. EC-1145; Admiralty G3046.1; NGA 0474.5.
Estero Salado Range C Rear Light
Estero Salado C Range Rear Light
photo copyright Capt. Peter Mosselberger
used by permission
Estero Salado F Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white flash every 4 s. 18 m (59 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. The tower also carries a large slatted daymark, painted red with a white vertical stripe. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the bay about 5 km (3 mi) east of Carrizal. Site status unknown. Admiralty G3047.1; NGA 0475.5.
* Punta Chapoya (Punta Piedras del Morro) (2?)
Date unknown (2011?). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) round metal tower, flared at the top and bottom, painted with yellow and black horizontal bands. Guy wires stabilize the tower. Fabián Ocampo has a 2011 photo, a closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. NGA listed a 12 m (39 ft) tower. Announcing this light in January 2012, the Admiralty described it as white, an error copied from the Ecuadorian list. Located on a headland about 7 km (4 mi) west of Playas. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. EC-1089; Admiralty G3037; NGA 0444.
* Punta Engabao (Punta de Piedra) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1920s). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white light, 1.5 s on, 3.5 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white with red bands at the base and on the gallery. David Chang's 2013 photo is at right, Elio Ruiz has a 2011 photo, a view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the village of Engabao, about 6.5 km (4 mi) northwest of El Pelado. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. EC-1088; Admiralty G3048.8; NGA 0442.
Punta Engabao Light
Punta Engabao Light, El Pelado, February 2013
Flickr photo copyright David Chang (@DavidFernandoC), Guayaquil, Ecuador
used by permission

Santa Elena Province Lighthouses
Note: Santa Elena Province is located at the northern entrance to the Gulf of Guayaquil; it includes the beach resort city of Salinas.
El Real
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 16 s. 12 m (39 ft) round concrete tower with a red stairway spiraling around the tower. A 2010 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This light replaced the nearby Chanduy light. Located on a headland near El Real, about 50 km (30 mi) southeast of Punta Santa Elena. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ECU-038; EC-1087; Admiralty G3049.2; NGA 0438.
* Punta Ancón (Anconcito)
Around 1970. Active; focal plane 51 m (167 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) square concrete tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. A photo is available, another photo shows part of the base of the tower, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a steep promontory at Anconcito, about 15 km (9 mi) south of Santa Elena. Site open, tower closed. EC-1086; Admiralty G3049.4; NGA 0436.
* Chocolatera (Puntilla de Santa Elena) (3?)
Around 2007 (station established around 1960). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) round solid concrete tower with gallery and an external ladder. A photo is available, Adrian Cordero has a photo, Victor Mendivil also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. A 2003 photo shows the previous tower, which was similar but 9 m (30 ft) in height. Lighthouse painted in a black and white checkerboard pattern. Located at the tip of Punta Santa Elena, about 1750 m (1.1 mi) west of the lighthouse (next entry). Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ECU-022; Admiralty G3051; NGA 0416.
* Punta Santa Elena (Salinas) (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 95 m (312 ft); five white flashes every 20 s. 12 m (39 ft) round tower mounted atop a 1-story building, with lantern and gallery. Building painted white with red trim, tower red, lantern white. A photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. Punta Santa Elena, the westernmost point of mainland Ecuador, is a very sharp promontory. The original lighthouse, a skeletal tower mounted atop a 2-story building, was listed with a focal plane of 143 m (470 ft); Estrada has photos (taken around 1922) on p. 302 of his book. Also pictured is the 23 m (74 ft) square skeletal tower that replaced the old lighthouse in 1928; it had a focal plane of 106 m (347 ft). The present lighthouse was built sometime after 1974. Located above the cape on the hill known as La Puntilla, about 3 km (2 mi) west of the yacht club light (previous entry). Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ECU-006; EC-1082; Admiralty G3050; NGA 0412.
* Salinas Yacht Club
1993. Active (privately maintained); focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) square pyramidal tower with a tall octagonal lantern, painted white; lantern roof is red. A good photo is available, Rachel Rianne has a 2008 photo, Juan Jorge Arellano has a 2010 photo, and Google has a satellite view. This tower carries the Barbier & Fenestre lantern and 3rd order Fresnel lens used at Isla Santa Clara from 1872 to 1921 (see above). Purchased from the Navy by the Guayaquil Yacht Club in 1956, the lantern and lens are on loan to the Salinas Yacht Club. Located on the yacht club's breakwater in Salinas. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty G3053.4; NGA 0425.6.
Santa Elena Light
Punta Santa Elena Light, Salinas, April 2008
Panoramio photo copyright Deltavision; permission requested
Hotel Girasol
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white flash every 5 s. Light mounted atop a 35 m (115 ft) hotel. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the waterfront of Salinas. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Hotel Girasol. Admiralty G3053; NGA 0426.
Petrópolis (Punta San Lorenzo)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 62 m (203 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. Light mounted atop a 54 m (177 ft) high-rise condo building. The building is at the far left in a photo of the beachfront, and Google has a satellite view. Located on Punta San Lorenzo, at the east end of the Salinas waterfront. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Alamar Condominiums. EC-1075; Admiralty G3052.3; NGA 0424.
Punta Centinela
2010. Active; focal plane 78 m (256 ft); two white flashes every 12 s. The light is on a short fiberglass tower atop the Punta Centinela Hotel. A photo of the building is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This light replaced the former Capay lighthouse, which was located on the ridge behind the waterfront; that lighthouse apparently has been demolished. Located at Punta Blanca, about 20 km (13 mi) northwest of Salinas. Site open, tower closed. EC-1057; Admiralty G3055; NGA 0428.

Manabí Province Lighthouses
Isla La Plata
Around 2000 (station established 1888). Active; focal plane 189 m (620 ft); white flash every 10 s. 20 m (66 ft) skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, and a cloud hides the lighthouse in Google's satellite view. There have been a series of lights on the island; the early ones were on masts, but skeletal towers have been in place since the 1930s. The Isla La Plata is an isolated, mountainous island about 16 km (10 mi) offshore and 25 km (15 mi) southwest of Cabo San Lorenzo. The island is a protected bird sanctuary and natural area. Located at the northwestern tip of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS ECU-018; EC-1054; Admiralty G3064; NGA 0396.
* Cabo San Lorenzo (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1920s). Active; focal plane 130 m (427 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with gallery, painted in an orange and white checkerboard pattern. A closeup photo and a more distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view of the station. Tourist sites for Manta report that there is a "marvelous view from the lighthouse" toward the Isla de la Plata (about 16 km or 10 miles offshore). However, it's not clear if this means that the tower is open for climbing. Located atop a steep bluff on the Cabo de San Lorenzo, a very prominent cape about 30 km (20 mi) southwest of Manta. Accessible by road (4WD recommended). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ECU-007; EC-1052; Admiralty G3068; NGA 0392.
Manta Breakwater
Date unknown (station established 1872). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two white flashes every 10s. 14 m (46 ft) square concrete tower with gallery but no lantern, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Dave Nelson's photo is at the top of this page, Victor Vargas has a 2011 photo, an aerial view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The history of this light is complex. There were at least three lighthouses built on land, and there may have been several on the breakwater beginning in the 1950s or 1960s. The present light probably dates from the 1990s. Located at the end of the east breakwater at Manta. Site status unknown, but the lighthouse can be seen from the waterfront. ARLHS ECU-008; EC-1045; Admiralty G3073; NGA 0380.
Punta Jaramijó (Punta Blanca) (2?)
1960s. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 17 m (56 ft) octagonal concrete tower painted with black and white horizontal bands. A photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. The light was listed initally with a focal plane of only 27 m (88 ft). Located on a headland on the east side of the entrance to the harbor of Manta. Site status unknown. ARLHS ECU-009; EC-1044; Admiralty G3076; NGA 0376.
Faro Punta Jaramijo
Punta Jaramijo Light, Manta, May 2010
Panoramio photo copyright mauriciops; used by permission
Cabo Pasado (4?)
Late 2000s (station established 1924). Active; focal plane 85 m (279 ft); white flash every 15 s. 9 m (30 ft) concrete tower, painted white with orange stripes. No photo available, but Bing has a distant satellite view. The 2005 Derrotero pictures a small triangular skeletal tower. Located on a prominent cape about 65 km (40 mi) north of Manta. Site status unknown. ARLHS ECU-010; EC-1041; Admiralty G3090; NGA 0320.
Punta Ballena
Around 1970. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower, painted white with a black stripe that zigzags up the tower. The 2005 Derrotero has a small photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a prominent cape about 8 km (5 mi) west of Jama. Site status unknown. ARLHS ECU-011; EC-1039; Admiralty G3090.4; NGA 0316.

Esmeraldas Province Lighthouses
Cabo de San Francisco (Punta Tongora)
Around 1970. Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 7 m (23 ft) square solid concrete tower with gallery and an external ladder. Lighthouse painted in a black and white checkerboard pattern. A closeup photo is available, Ivan Boada has a distant view, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a headland a few miles west of San Francisco. Site open, and nothing prevents visitors from climbing the tower. ARLHS ECU-016; EC-1037; Admiralty G3093; NGA 0308.
Punta Galera (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1922). Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); white flash every 10 s. 11 m (37 ft) round concrete tower, painted white with a red vertical stripe and a red band at the base. A photo is available, the 2005 Derrotero has a small aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a headland about 100 km (60 mi) southwest of Esmeraldas and about 30 km (19 mi) north of Cabo de San Francisco. Site status unknown. ARLHS ECU-012; Admiralty G3094; NGA 0304.
* Punta Súa (Punta Atacames)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); one long (1.5 s) white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) slender round concrete tower, painted in a red and white diamond checkerboard pattern. A photo is at right, Luis Guayanlema has a photo, and a 2007 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a cape about 30 km (19 mi) southwest of Esmeraldas. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ECU-037; EC-1034; Admiralty G3095; NGA 0300.
* Punta Coquitos (Coquito)
Date unknown (station established by 1895). Active; focal plane 200 m (656 ft); three long (2 s) white flashes every 24 s. 13 m (43 ft) round concrete tower painted with red and white stripes in a spiral pattern. The 2005 Derrotero has a small photo, and Google has a satellite view. The history of this station is quite unclear. The early lighthouses were at a low elevation on or near the tip of the point, but a 1966 light list describes a skeletal tower with a focal plane of 88 m (290 ft). The present light appears to date from around 1970. Located on heights on the southwest side of Esmeraldas. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ECU-013; Admiralty G3096; NGA 0264.
[Esmeraldas South Harbor]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green light occulting once every 15 s. 9 m (30 ft) concrete post extended with a short skeletal tower. Lighthouse painted white with a red horizontal band. A 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The building seen behind the light in the photos is the Ecuadorian Navy's northern command center. This is one of several very similar lights in the harbor of Esmeraldas. Located at the end of the broad quay between the north and south harbors of Esmeraldas. Site and tower closed (military base). Admiralty G3096.34; NGA 0292.
Punta Súa Light
Punta Súa Light, Esmeraldas
Creative Commons photo by Toño (EA9CP)

Punta Verde (Río Verde, Ríoverde)
Around 1970. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) concrete tower, painted in a black and white checkered pattern. No photo available, and Google's distant satellite view does not show the lighthouse. Located on a promontory about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northeast of Ríoverde. Site status unknown. EC-1014; Admiralty G3096.4; NGA 0260.
Punta La Barca
Around 1970. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. 20 m (66 ft) skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, and Google's distant satellite view does not show the lighthouse. Located on the north side of a river entrance at La Tola in northern Ecuador. Site status unknown. ARLHS ECU-035; Admiralty G3097; NGA 0256.
San Pedro
Around 1960. Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); one long (1.5 s) white flash every 15 s. 41 m (135 ft) tapered square skeletal tower, painted orange. The Derrotero has a small photo, but Google's distant satellite view does not show the lighthouse. Located on Isla Santa Rosa, an island at the Colombian border. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ECU-040; EC-1005; Admiralty G3098; NGA 0236.

Notable faux lighthouse:

  • Ballenita, near Salinas. This tower is not an aid to navigation, but it is part of the Hostería Galeriay Museo Náutico Farallón Dillon, a former church that has been converted into an inn with a bar and also a small maritime museum. The museum displays several lenses, including the Fresnel lens of the Punta Arenas lighthouse. Google has a satellite view.
  • Cerro Santa Ana (Guayaquil), crowning Guayaquil's tallest hill, is a keystone in the city's redevelopment of the hill as a historic site and tourist attraction. It is a beautiful lighthouse, but it is not an aid to navigation. Google has a satellite view.

Adjoining pages: North: Colombia Pacific | South: Northern Perú | West: Galápagos

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted July 2004. Checked and revised July 15, 2014. Lighthouses: 38. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.