Lighthouses of Egypt: Red Sea

Egypt is famous as the home of the prototype of all lighthouses, the Pharos of Alexandria, built in the early third century BC. At nearly 120 m (390 ft), it was as tall as a modern skyscraper and much taller than any modern lighthouse. It remained in operation until after the Arab conquest of Egypt in 642 CE and stood for centuries more, finally collapsing after several earthquakes.

In 1869, the completion of the Suez Canal by a French company linked Egypt's Mediterranean and Red Sea coasts and made the country a strategic crossroads. British troops occupied the county in 1882, and it was more or less a British colony until resuming its independence in 1922.

This page includes lighthouses of Egypt's Red Sea coast; there is a separate page for the Mediterranean Sea coast.

Aids to navigation in Egypt are operated by the Egyptian Authority for Maritime Safely (EAMS). A private company, the Beacon Company of Egypt, maintains the lights under contract.

The Arabic word for a lighthouse is mnarh or manara (منارة). Ra's is a cape, jaza'ir or jazirat is an island, and shi'b is a reef. Transliteration of Arabic to Latin characters can be done in many ways, so alternate spellings are common.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Lights on this page were formerly included in volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals, but in 2013 they were moved to volume D with new numbers. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Beacon Company of Egypt - List of Lights
This light list provides data on each light, but no photos. The Red Sea lights are not included.
Online List of Lights - Egypt Red Sea
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Lighthouses in Egypt
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Egypt
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Egyptian Lighthouses
Postcards from the collection of Michel Forand.
Afrikanische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Brothers Light
Akhaween (The Brothers) Light, Red Sea, June 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Jon Hanson

Southern Sinai Governorate Lighthouses

Gulf of Aqaba Lighthouses
* Nuwaybi (Nuweiba, Nuweibah)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete base. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Nuweiba is a resort town on the Gulf of Aqaba about 70 km (45 mi) south of the Israeli border and 150 km (90 mi) north of Sharm el-Sheikh. Located beside the main highway in Nuweiba. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7297.79 (ex-E6041.4); NGA 112-30432.
* Dhahab (Dahab)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete base. Entire lighthouse is white. J. Ulmer's photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. Dahab is a former fishing village, now a resort and scuba diving center, 80 km (50 mi) northeast of Sharm el-Sheikh. Located in downtown Dahab. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7297.77 (ex-E6041); NGA 112-30428.
Wādī Kīd
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three quick white flashes every 10 s. 9 m (29 ft) tower, probably a round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower. The lighthouse is black with a yellow horizontal band. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. For southbound vessels, this light marks the west side of the entrance to the Strait of Tīrān. Located on a promontory about 19 km (12 mi) north of the narrowest part of the strait. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7297.76 (ex-E6040.9); NGA 112-30426.

Dhahab Light, Dhahab, July 2005
Panoramio photo copyright J. Ulmer; permission requested

Sharm el-Sheikh Area Lighthouses
Note: Ra's Muhammed is the cape at the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula, where the Red Sea divides into two branches, the Gulf of Aqaba to the east and the Gulf of Suez to the west. Sharm ash Shaykh (Sharm el-Sheikh) is a resort city overlooking the Strait of Tīrān, the entrance to the Gulf of Aqaba. Tīrān Island, a large island partly blocking the entrance, is administered by Egypt but claimed by Saudi Arabia.
Gordon Reef
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red light occulting once every 7 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete base. Upper half of the lighthouse is red, lower half white. A photo and a second photo are available, Sergey Konovolov has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. The Strait of Tīrān is about 5 km (3 mi) wide between the Sinai mainland and Tīrān Island, but the Gordon Reef blocks a large part of the strait. Most ships pass through a narrow channel, the Enterprise Passage, between the Sinai coast and this light, located on southwestern end of the reef. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7297.7 (ex-E6040.7); NGA 112-30424.
Ra's Ghamila (Enterprise Passage)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (43 ft); white flash every 10 s; also a green sector light occulting once every 7 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete base. Entire lighthouse is green. A photo is available, Vladimir Nikolaev has a more distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a reef off the mainland opposite the Gordon Reef Light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7297.67 (ex-E6040.3); NGA 112-30420.
Chisholm Point
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete base. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the southwestern tip of Tīrān island, marking the east side of the entrance to the Strait of Tīrān. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7297.65 (ex-E6040.3); NGA 112-30422.
* Ra's Umm Sudd (Um el Sayed)
1987. Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. A large rectangular white daymark covers most of the front of the lighthouse. George Bale's photo is at right, Jason Enright has a closeup, Titta Hakala has an evening view, a view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view and Oli Tina's street view. Ra's Umm Sudd is a headland at the northern end of the Red Sea, about 20 km (13 mi) northeast of Ra's Muhammad, the tip of the Sinai Peninsula. The light station guides ships leaving the Red Sea for the Gulf of Aqaba. The lighthouse is easily accessible by road from the resorts in the nearby Sharm ash Shaykh area. Site probably open, tower closed. ARLHS EGY-020; Admiralty D7297.62 (ex-E6040); NGA 112-30416.
Um el-Sayed Light
Ra's Umm Sudd Light, Sharm el-Sheikh, March 2013
Flickr photo copyright George Bale; used by permission
* Sharm ash Shaykh (Sharm el-Sheikh) Entrance East (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); green light, 3 s on, 2 s off. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round hourglass-shaped green fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete base. Trabas has Douglas Cameron's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the cruise ship harbor of Sharm el-Sheikh. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7297.61 (ex-E6039.9); NGA 112-30415.5.
Sharm ash Shaykh (Sharm el-Sheikh) Entrance West (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); red light, 3 s on, 2 s off. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round hourglass-shaped red fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete base. Trabas has Douglas Cameron's photo, Maksim and Genadij Snežkin have a view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the cruise ship harbor of Sharm el-Sheikh. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7297.6 (ex-E6039.91); NGA 112-30415.

Gulf of Suez East Shore Lighthouses
Ra's Muhammad
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower. Upper half of tower painted black, lower half white. No lantern. Matt Kieffer's photo is at right, Mario Nocentini has a photo, another photo and a view from the sea are available, and Google has a satellite view. Although it is not much of a lighthouse, this is an important light, marking the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula. The area is incorporated in the Ra's Muhammed National Park. Located at the end of a barren, rocky peninsula. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EGY-028; Admiralty D7296.724 (ex-E6039.5); NGA 112-30414.
Qad Ibn Haddān (Kad ben Haddan)
1987. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); white flash every 10 s. 39 m (128 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, with lantern, gallery, and a rectangular white daymark. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. A building surrounds the lighthouse. This light marks the northeast side of the entrance to the Gulf of Suez, about 25 km (15 mi) northwest of Ra's Muhammad. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-026; Admiralty D7296.723 (ex-E6039); NGA 112-30412.
Lahāţa
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 39 m (128 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, with a white daymark. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This light does not appear on the EAFMS list. The light marks a headland on the east side of the Gulf, directly opposite 'Ayn Sukhnah. Located about 35 km (22 mi) southeast of Suez city. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-040; Admiralty D7297.31 (ex-E6021.5); NGA 112-30252.
Qad al Tawīla
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); white flash every 10 s. 39 m (128 ft) square skeletal tower, with a white daymark. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This light does not appear on the EAFMS list. Ships northbound toward the Canal steer toward this light after turning from the bearing marked by the Ain Sokhna lighthouse. Located on the east side of the Gulf about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Suez city. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-041; Admiralty D7297.3 (ex-E6021.2); NGA 112-30248.
Ra's Muhammad Light
Ra's Muhammad Light, Ra's Muhammad, December 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Matt Kieffer

Suez Governorate Lighthouses

Suez Harbor Lighthouses
Birkat Misallāt
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 39 m (128 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, with a white daymark. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the Gulf at Port Taufiq, about 3 km (1.8 mi) southeast of the Canal entrance. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7297.28 (ex-E6017); NGA 112-30230.
Jazīrat al Khadrā (Qal'a Kebira, Green Island)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); quick-flashing white light. 23 m (75 ft) skeletal tower, mounted on a square concrete pier. No photo available, but Bing has an indistinct satellite view. There's nothing green about the islet; it is a barren sandbar. Located about 200 m (220 yd) south of the island, about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of the Canal entrance and 4 km (2.5 mi) northwest of the Newport Rock Light (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7297.17 (ex-E6016); NGA 112-30232.
Newport Rock (Zenobia Rock) (2)
Date unknown (1960s?) (station established 1897). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 5 s. 9 m (30 ft) tripod tower with gallery, mounted on three strait piles. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. Jürgen Klinksiek has contributed a photo (also seen at right), Sherif Aboul Gadayel also has a photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. This light is on the east side of the channel for ships approaching or leaving the Suez Canal; a chart is available. The original lighthouse was described as a "cylindrical tower on a dwelling on piles." Located on a shoal about 8 km (5 mi) south of the southern entrance to the Suez Canal. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EGY-015; Admiralty D7297.29 (ex-E6020); NGA 112-30236.

Upper Gulf of Suez West Shore Lighthouses
Ra's Muhajjarah (Ra's Muhaggara)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 39 m (128 ft) square skeletal tower, with a white daymark. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. This light does not appear on the EAFMS list. Located on the west side of the Gulf about 18 km (11 mi) southwest of Suez city. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-043; Admiralty D7297.09 (ex-E6021); NGA 112-30244.
Newport Rock Light
Newport Rock Light, Suez, June 1997
photo copyright Jürgen Klinksiek; used by permission
'Ayn Sukhnah (Ain Sukhna) (2)
2008 (?) (station established 1987). Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 5 s; there is also a white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting, but the period is not given in the NGA List. 39 m (128 ft) skeletal tower. A building surrounds the tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Presumably this lighthouse is similar to the Ra's Umm Sudd lighthouse at Sharm ash Shaykh (see above). The directional light guides ships northbound toward the Suez Canal. 'Ayn Sukhnah is a port on the west side of the Gulf about 35 km (22 mi) southwest of Suez city. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-038; Admiralty D7297.05 (ex-E6021.8); NGA 112-30254.
Ra's Abū Daraj (Abu-el-Durg, Ra's Abu Darag)
1926 (?). Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. Approx. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a large crew quarters building. Lighthouse painted white. Nagi Hosni's 2009 photo is at right. According to NGA's sailing directions (Publication 172), the light is shown from "a white round concrete tower surrounded by white buildings standing close seaward of a ruined lighthouse." There's no sign of an earlier lighthouse in a Google satellite view, but behind the lighthouse there is another compound with a very tall communications tower. This may be an Egyptian Navy installation. According to EAFMS, the lighthouse was "renewed" in 1987. Located on a headland about 40 km (25 mi) north of Zaafarana. Site status unknown (probably closed). ARLHS EGY-003; Admiralty D7297.01 (ex-E6022.5); NGA 112-30256.
Abu el-Durg Light
Abu el-Durg Light, Gulf of Suez, September 2009
Panoramio photo copyright Nagi M. Hosni; used by permission

Red Sea Governorate Lighthouses

Gulf of Suez West Shore Lighthouses
Ra's az Za'farānah (Zaafarana, Zafarana)
1862. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted white, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Nagi Hosni's photo is at right, Ragab Hafiez has a more distant 2009 photo, the lighthouse is at the right edge of Miika Kostamo's sunrise photo, and Google has a satellite view. Zafarana Point is the site of a large wind power generating farm. Located on a headland on the west side of the Gulf of Suez. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-019; Admiralty D7297 (ex-E6023); NGA 112-30260.
* Ra's Rawāhimī (Ra's Ruahmi)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower. Lighthouse is black. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located beside the coastal highway about 50 km (30 mi) southeast of Ra's az Za'farānah. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty ex-D7296.98 (ex-E6023.6); NGA 112-30264.
False Ra's Ghārib
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) fiberglass tower, probably hourglass-shaped. Lighthouse white with a red stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a point of land about 25 km (15 mi) northwest of Ra's Ghārib. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7296.97 (ex-E6024.4); NGA 112-30276.
Ra's Ghārib (1)
1871. Inactive since 1987. 50 m (165 ft) cast iron tripod tower with central cylinder, lantern, and gallery. The lighthouse was originally painted black. A portfolio of photos and another photo of both lighthouses is available, Google has a satellite view and Forand has a historic postcard view. This lighthouse was built by the French as part of the Suez Canal project. It is very rare, with only a few surviving examples anywhere of its design. Abandoned for two decades, it is clearly endangered. Located on a headland at Ra's Ghārib, on the west side of the Gulf of Suez about 160 km (100 mi) south of Suez city. Site status unknown; there is a tank farm and petroleum loading dock nearby.
Ra's Ghārib (2)
1987 (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 39 m (128 ft) triangular skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a large 1-story crew quarters building (probably an Egyptian Navy installation). Lighthouse painted white. A photo of both lighthouses is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a headland at Ra's Ghārib. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-007; Admiralty D7296.95 (ex-E6025); NGA 112-30280.
Zaafarana Light
Ra's az Za'farānah Light, Gulf of Suez, July 2009
Panoramio photo copyright Nagi M. Hosni; used by permission
* Al Mallāhah (El Mallaha)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower. Lighthouse is red. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located beside the coastal highway about 20 km (13 mi) southeast of Ra's Ghārib. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7296.85 (ex-E6027); NGA 112-30332.
Ra's Shuqayr (Ra's Shukier) (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 89 m (279 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 17 m (56 ft) (?) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, carrying a white square daymark. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The tower appears to be taller than the listed height. Located on a prominent cape about 40 km (25 mi) southeast of Ra's Ghārib, in a Gulf of Suez Petroleum Company facility. Site and tower closed. Admiralty D7296.8 (ex-E6030); NGA 112-30340.
Ra's Dubb (Ra's Dib) (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower. Lighthouse is black. No photo available. Bing's satellite view does not show the fiberglass tower, but it does show a cluster of taller buildings on the cape. Located on a prominent cape about 65 km (40 mi) southeast of Ra's Ghārib. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-006; Admiralty D7296.78 (ex-E6031); NGA 112-30348.
Ra's Zayt (Ra's Zeit)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower. Lighthouse is white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a high bluff above the coastal highway about 80 km (50 mi) southeast of Ra's Ghārib. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7296.77 (ex-E6032); NGA 112-30384.
Umm al Kīmān
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower. Lighthouse is black with a white horizontal band. The light is seen at the right in Yasser El-Rasoul's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a bluff off the coastal highway on the mainland about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of the El Ashrafy lighthouse. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7296.75 (ex-E6033); NGA 112-30388.

Gulf of Suez Entrance Lighthouses
Juzur Ashrāfī (El Ashrafy) (2)
1940 (station established 1862). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); four white flashes, in a 3+1 pattern, every 15 s. Approx. 26 m (85 ft) round brick tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. A 2-story keeper's house curves around the lighthouse. Assem Nayal's photo is at right, and Google has an excellent satellite view. Forand has an 1862 newspaper engraving of the original tower, an ornate and unusual skeletal lighthouse. Huelse has a postcard image of that lighthouse. The current lighthouse was refurbished in 1987. The Ashrāfī Reef area has offshore oil rigs and is avoided by diving expeditions. Located about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Jemsa. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-001; Admiralty D7296.74 (ex-E6034); NGA 112-30396.
El Ashrafy Light
Juzur Ashrāfī Light, Gulf of Suez, August 2008
Panoramio photo copyright Assem Nayal; used by permission
Jazīrat Jūbāl (Strait of Gubal, Bluff Point)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round white fiberglass tower. Sherif Aboul Gadayel has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view and Bence Sibalin's view from the sea. This light helps guide ships through a narrow passage at the south end of the Gulf of Suez. Located on a promontory at the eastern end of an island about 25 km (15 mi) east of Gamasa. ARLHS EGY-021; Admiralty D7296.72 (ex-E6035); NGA 112-30400.
Suyūl al Khubrá (Jazirat Siyul, Siyul Island)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft) four white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower. Lighthouse is colored with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island about 6.5 km (4 mi) northwest of Shakir (Shadwan) Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EGY-029; Admiralty D7296.65 (ex-E6036); NGA 112-30404.
Jazīrat Shākir (Ra's Shukheir, Shadwan Island)
1889. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) stone tower with lantern and gallery. The tower appears to be unpainted today; formerly it had a black horizontal band at the top and black and white vertical stripes below. Lantern painted white. No recent closeup photo available. A historic photo is at right, Paul Bunker has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Shaker or Shākir (also called Shadwan) is a rocky island, the largest of a group of islands in the center of the Gubal Straits, the entrance to the Gulf of Suez from the Red Sea. The island is a military base; during the War of Attrition (1968-70) artillery and missile batteries on the island shelled Israeli forces occupying the nearby Sinai Peninsula. The lighthouse was damaged by an Israeli counterattack in January 1970 and was not fully repaired until 1987. Located at the southeastern tip of the island. Site and tower closed. ARLHS EGY-008; Admiralty D7296.7 (ex-E6037); NGA 112-30408.
Shadwan Island Light
Shākir (Shadwan) Island Light during the Israeli raid, 22 January 1970
Israeli military photo posted by the Israeli Paratroopers Association

Ghardaqah (Hurghada) Area Lighthouses
Note: Ghardaqah (Hurghada) is a beach resort city of about 260,000 people, making it easily the largest city of Egypt's Red Sea coast. Safaga is a much smaller town about 55 km (35 mi) south of Hurghada.
Jazīrat Umm Qamar (Umm Gamar)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 3 s. 12 m (39 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower, mounted on a square concrete base. The tower is red with a white horizontal band. A distant view and a very distant view are available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on an island in the northwestern corner of the Red Sea, about 16 km (10 mi) northeast of Ghardaqah. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EGY-030; Admiralty D7296.58 (ex-E6037.5); NGA 112-30409.
Jiftūn aş Şaghir (Giftun el-Saghir)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30.5 m (100 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted black. There is a coast guard station about 400 m (1/4 mi) south of the lighthouse. Dmytro Moraru has a photo of both structures, and Bing has a satellite view. Jiftūn aş Şaghir is an island facing the Red Sea about 15 km (9 mi) east of Ghardaqah. Located on the east side of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS EGY-024; Admiralty D7296.5 (ex-E6037.6); NGA 112-30409.5.
Abū Minqār
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two red flashes every 5 s. 9 m (30 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower mounted on a stone pier. Entire lighthouse is red. Constantin Voutsen's photo is at right, a closeup and another photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the southeast end of a reef off the Ghardaqah waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7296.51 (ex-E6037.91); NGA 112-30410.6.
Abu Minqar Light
Abū Minqār Light, Ghardaqah, January 2009
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Constantin Voutsen

Safājah (Safaga) Area Lighthouses
* Ra's Abū Sawmah
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30.5 m (100 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. Approx. 28 m (92 ft) square skeletal tower, painted black with a white top. Alexander Peskov has a view from the sea, Daniel Lorenzer has a distant view from the land side, and Bing has a good satellite view. There are resorts in this area, so the lack of closeup photos is disappointing. Located on a headland about 25 km (15 mi) north of Būr Safājah (Safaga). Site appears open, tower closed. ARLHS EGY-027; Admiralty D7296.4 (ex-E6047.2); NGA 112-30470.5.
Jazīrat Safājah (Safaga Island)
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); three quick white flashes every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) round hourglass-shaped tower, mounted on a square concrete base. Lighthouse colored black with one yellow horizontal band. 1-story crew building, probably a navy or coast guard station. A distant view from the sea is available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view of the station. Safājah (Safaga) Island, about 10 km (6 mi) long and 2 km (1.25 mi) wide, shelters the Safājah beach and port area. Located on an isolated hill near the northeastern tip of the island. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7296.39 (ex-E6047.55); NGA 112-30471.4.
Panorama Reef
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); quick-flashing white light. 9 m (30 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower, colored yellow with a black band at the top, mounted on a stone pier. Trabas has a photo by Günther Hess, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the north end of a reef about 10 km (6 mi) east of Safaga Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7296.34 (ex-E6047.65); NGA 112-30471.
Middle Reef (Umm Hal Hal)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); quick-flashing white light. 9 m (30 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower, colored yellow with a black band at the top, mounted on a stone pier. Trabas has a closeup photo by Günther Hess, Alexander Chupriyanov's photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a reef about 10 km (6 mi) east of the southern tip of Safaga Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7296.33 (ex-E6047.66); NGA 112-30471.2.
Jazirat Safaga Leading (Bur Safaga Transit Beacon)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 12 m (29 ft) round white fiberglass tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located near the south end of Safaga Island. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7296.38 (ex-E6047.4); NGA 112-30472.
* Būr Safājah (Bur Safaga) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 35 m (115 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower carrying a rectangular slatted daymark painted red with a white vertical stripe. Trabas has Douglas Cameron's photo, and Google has a satellite view. This is an approach range for Būr Safājah, a port for shipment of phosphate from nearby mines. Located at the south end of the port area. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7296.37 (ex-E6047.4).
* Būr Safājah (Bur Safaga) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 35 m (115 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower carrying a rectangular slatted daymark painted red with a white vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located about 600 m (3/8 mi) northwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7296.371 (ex-E6047.41).
Umm Hal Hal Light
Umm Hal Hal (Middle Reef) Light, Safaga, November 2011
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Alexander Chupriyanov
Hyndman (Handyman) Reef (Shab Shear West)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); nine very quick white flashes every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower, colored yellow with a black horizontal band, mounted on a stone pier. A photo and a second photo are available, Trabas has a distant view by Günther Hess, and Google has a distant satellite view. This location is popular with scuba divers, who call it Shab Shear West, while "Handyman" appears to be a common corruption of the correct name Hyndman Reef. Located at the west end of a reef complex about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Safaga. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7296.31 (ex-E6047.67); NGA 112-30475.
Shi'b Shear (Shab Shear)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); three very quick white flashes every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower, colored yellow with a black horizontal band, mounted on a stone pier. Trabas has a closeup photo by Günther Hess, a second photo and a third photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the south end of a reef about 6 km (3.5 mi) due east of the Hyndman Reef. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7296.32 (ex-E6047.665); NGA 112-30475.1.
Safājah (Safaga) Ulber
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round hourglass-shaped fiberglass tower, mounted on a square concrete pier. The upper third of the light tower is red, the lower 2/3 white. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. There are also several resorts in the area. Located in the surf inside the reef off a headland about 20 km (13 mi) southeast of the port. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7296.3 (ex-E6047.68); NGA 112-30475.2.

Red Sea Reef Lighthouses
Al Ikhwān (Akhaween, The Brothers)
1883. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); white flash every 5 s. 31 m (102 ft) stone tower with lantern and gallery. This is a staffed station, with several crew quarters and other buildings. Tower unpainted, lantern painted white. Jon Hanson's photo appears at the top of this page, and he also has a closeup of the tower. Trabas has a good photo by Günther Hess, but the reef is only a blur in Google's satellite view. This lighthouse was built by the British; the original Chance Brothers Fresnel lens remains in use and is still turned by clockwork that must be wound by hand every 4 hours. The station, refurbished in 1993, is staffed by the Egyptian Navy, but visitors are usually welcome. Saudi Aramco World has an article on the light station by Eric Hanauer. The island is included in Egypt's Red Sea Marine Park. Located atop a 400 m (1/4 mi) long rocky island in the middle of the Red Sea about 65 km (40 mi) east of Al-Qusayr. Accessible only by boat. Site open; visitors are sometimes allowed to climb the tower. ARLHS EGY-008; Admiralty D7296.2 (ex-E6047); NGA 112-30476.
Abū el-Kizân (Daedalus Reef) (2)
1931 (station established 1863). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); three white flashes, in a 1+2 pattern, every 12 s. 30 m (98 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story crew quarters complex. Tower painted with black and white horizontal bands. Clifton Beard's photo appears at right, Jonathan Coates has an excellent closeup photo, Trabas has a photo by Günther Hess, and a 2008 photo is available, but the reef is only a blur in Google's satellite view. This light station is one of a series established by the French to safeguard navigation in the Red Sea after the opening of the Suez Canal. Forand has an 1862 newspaper engraving of the original lighthouse, a round cast iron tower incorporating a 4-story keeper's quarters. Sometime around 1900 that lighthouse was enclosed; Huelse has a historic postcard view of the lighthouse in that form. The present lighthouse, refurbished in 1993, is staffed by the Egyptian Navy. Daedalus Reef, a popular stop for scuba divers, is included in Egypt's Red Sea Marine Park. Located on a reef barely breaking the surface of the sea, about 100 km (60 mi) east of Marsa Alam. Accessible only by boat. Site open; visitors are sometimes allowed to climb the tower. ARLHS EGY-010; Admiralty D7296.1 (ex-E6048); NGA 112-30492.
Daedalus Reef Light
Abū el-Kizân (Daedalus Reef) Light, Red Sea, May 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Clifton Beard

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • North Bitter Lakes (1869-?), Suez Canal. This lighthouse has been demolished. ARLHS EGY-048.
  • Port Taufiq (Tewfik) (1880s?-?), Suez Canal. This lighthouse no longer exists; it has been replaced by modern range lights.
  • South Bitter Lakes (1869-?), Suez Canal. This lighthouse has been demolished.

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Mediterranean Egypt | Northeast: Israel | East: Jordan | South: Sudan

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted July 25, 2006. Checked and revised June 16, 2015. Lighthouses: 48. Site copyright 2015 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.