Lighthouses of Northwest England

This page includes lighthouses of England's northwestern coast, facing the Irish Sea in the Liverpool area, Cheshire, Lancashire, and Cumbria. Trinity House, the traditional English lighthouse agency, operates only one lighthouse on this coast; all the other lighthouses are operated by harbor authorities or have passed into private ownership. Several of the lighthouses are famous, but many are not well known at all.

Interest in lighthouses has increased in recent years, and preservation efforts are underway at several sites. Very few of the lighthouses are open to the public as yet, but most of them are easy to find and photograph.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from Volume A of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 114.

General Sources
Trinity House
Chartered by Henry VIII in 1514, Trinity House has built and operated lighthouses in Britain for nearly 500 years.
Lighthouse Compendium
There is lots of useful information on this site by Michael Millichamp, including his Guide to English and Welsh Lights, an inventory of surviving English and Welsh lighthouses.
Online List of Lights - England
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Photographers Resource - Lighthouses
A comprehensive guide to British lighthouses, with multiple photos and historical notes for many of the light stations.
Lighthouses in England
Photos available from Wikimedia; many of these photos were first posted on Geograph.org.uk.
Lighthouses in England, United Kingdom
Fine aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Bill Newman Lighthouse Page
This amateur radio operator's Scottish lighthouse site also has photos of several lighthouses of northwestern England (see near the bottom of the page).
Britische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Association of Lighthouse Keepers
Founded by serving and retired keepers, this lighthouse association is open to everyone.

Bidston Hill Light
Bidston Hill Light, Wirral, February 2007
Geograph Creative Commons photo by Peter Craine

Merseyside (Liverpool Area) Lighthouses

Wirral Borough Lighthouses
* [West Kirby (Grange Hill) Beacon]
1841. A historic daybeacon, never lit as a lighthouse. 18 m (59 ft) unpainted round red sandstone column topped a sandstone sphere. A closeup photo and a more distant view are available, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. This tower was built on the northern nose of Grange Hill in West Kirby by the Trustees of Liverpool Docks to replace a windmill that collapsed in 1839; mariners had used the windmill as a daymark for many years. Located on Column Road near Beacon Drive in West Kirby, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of Hoylake. Site open, tower closed.
* Hoylake (High) (2)
1865 (station established 1764). Inactive since 1886. 17 m (55 ft) octagonal brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to 2-story keeper's house. The tower is unpainted red brick, the gallery is painted black, and the lantern white. Bill Newman has good photos, P. Askew has a 2007 photo, Beverley Cartlidge has a 2008 photo, Wikimedia has two photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. A private residence for more than a century, this elegant lighthouse has been maintained in excellent condition by its owners. Located just off Market Street (A553) at Velentia and Lighthouse Roads in Hoylake, on the east side of the entrance to the River Dee. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen easily from the street. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS ENG-055.
** Leasowe
1763. Inactive since 1908. 33.5 m (110 ft) round brick tower, painted white; lantern removed. The oldest lighthouse in the Liverpool area and the oldest brick lighthouse in Britain. Adair Broughton's photo is at right, Sue Adair has a lovely 2009 photo, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. Ownership of this historic light station was assumed by the Wirral Borough Council in 1988, and restoration has continued since by the Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse. There is a visitor center in the base of the tower, and funds are being raised to restore the upper rooms to their original appearance. The visitor center was renovated in 2006, and the 250th anniversary of the lighthouse was celebrated in 2013. Located on Lingham Lane in Leasowe Common in Moreton, about 8 km (5 mi) west of Perch Rock Light; the station is included in the North Wirral Coastal Park. Site open; visitor center open daily; tower open to guided tours on the first and third Sunday afternoons of each month. Owner: Wirral Borough Council. Site manager: Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse. ARLHS ENG-063.
Leasowe Lighthouse
Leasowe Light, Wirral, April 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Adair Broughton
Bidston Hill (2)
1873 (station established 1771). Inactive since 1913 (a decorative light is often displayed). 21 m (69 ft) round cylindrical sandstone tower with lantern and gallery attached to 1-story stone keeper's house. Peter Craine's photo is at the top of this page, Brian Sayle has a closeup photo, Newman has a portfolio of photos, Wikimedia has several photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has an aerial view. Bidston Hill is more than a mile from the sea, but as the highest hill in the Liverpool area it was the natural site for a landfall light for the Mersey. This famous station played an important role in British scientific history. An astronomical observatory was established here in 1864, and the two telescope domes survive although the instruments have been removed. Meteorological observations began in 1869. In 1924 the Liverpool Tidal Observatory, now the Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory, was moved to the site. Sometime in 2004-05 the laboratory moved to a new site in Liverpool. In 2006 the lighthouse was put up for sale, and in 2011 it was sold to private buyers for £160,000. The new owners have a web site for the lighthouse. Located atop the hill in Bidston, just west of Birkenhead. Site and tower closed except for open house dates several times each year. Owner: private. Site manager: Bidston Lighthouse. ARLHS ENG-009.
* Perch Rock (New Brighton)
1830. Inactive since 1973 (decorative lights have been displayed since 2000). 28.5 m (94 ft) tapered granite tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. The tower is illuminated by spotlights at night. The design of the lighthouse imitates the well-known Eddystone Light in the English Channel. The lower portion of the tower is solid granite; access requires a ladder to reach the doorway 7.5 m (25 ft) above the base. Lesley Mitchell's photo appears at right, Stephen Entwistle has a 2007 photo, Newman has a portfolio of photos, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. The name Perch Rock comes from a perch, a tripod platform carrying a fire, built on the rock in 1683 and frequently repaired or replaced over the years. In the 1820s, the City of Liverpool tired of replacing the perch and decided to build the present lighthouse. After deactivation the lighthouse was sold to Norman Kingham, who offered it for a time as a honeymoon accommodation. Lighthouse Digest has Jeremy D'Entremont's August 2001 feature story reporting on a restoration being carried out in that year as a Millennium project. As part of this project, the light was reactivated, displaying a variety of Morse code messages. Located just offshore from the New Brighton Fort, also a privately owned attraction, at the west side of the entrance to the Mersey estuary at New Brighton. It is possible, with caution, to walk to the lighthouse at low tide. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS ENG-084; Admiralty A4946
Perch Rock Light
Perch Rock Light, Wirral, February 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Lesley Mitchell
* Birkenhead (Woodside Ferry)
1840s (rebuilt 1984). Inactive. Approx. 7 m (23 ft) tapered round concrete tower with a cylindrical domed lantern. Tower painted white, lantern red. In the original configuration, the lantern was mounted atop a square bell enclosure; the bell is still in use. When the old lighthouse was restored in 1984, the original lantern was placed atop a new concrete tower. A closeup is available, Wikimedia has a 2012 closeup, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the Mersey Ferry terminal in Birkenhead, on the south side of the Mersey. Site open, tower closed. Operator: unknown. ARLHS ENG-246.

City of Liverpool Lightship
* Trinity House Lightship 23 Bar
1959. Decommissioned 1989. 40.5 m (133 ft) two-masted steel lightship with light tower amidships, painted red. Barrie Mason's photo is at right, Eirian Evans has a 2009 photo, and an August 2011 photo is available. Built by Philips & Sons Ltd. of Dartmouth. The ship served as the Bar off the entrance to the Mersey from 1960 to 1972; after serving several other locations she was assigned as the Channel from 1979 to 1989. She was the last manned lightship in U.K. waters. Saved from the scrapyard in 1992, the ship has been displayed in Liverpool. The ship is now in need of further restoration. The Mersey Light-Vessel Preservation Society tried to raise funds to buy and restore her, but in 2005 the ship was sold to a new owner, Gary McClarnan. The preservation society has closed its operations. McClarnan had the ship painted and berthed it in Liverpool at the Canning Half Tide Dock; as of July 2013 Google's street view and satellite view still showed it at this location. In 2008, McClarnan placed the ship for sale for £139,000, and it was sold to two couples. The ship has been repainted and appears to be in good condition. Iris Klempau found it moored at Albert Dock in May 2012; she has posted Bob Price's photo of the ship at that location. Site open; vessel closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS ENG-065.
Lightship Bar
Lightship 23 Bar, Liverpool, May 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Barrie Mason

Lighthouses of Cheshire

* Upper Mersey (Ellesmere Port)
1880. Inactive since 1894. 11 m (36 ft) octagonal brick tower with lantern, attached to a 1-story brick pump house. The tower is unpainted red brick; the lantern dome is black. A 2007 photo is available, Wikimedia has good photo, and Google has a street view and an aerial view. This light was built at the junction of the Manchester Ship Canal and the Ellesmere Canal, now part of the Shropshire Union Canal. The lighthouse has been restored by the British Waterways Trust as part of a large canal museum complex. Located on the south bank of the Manchester Ship Canal at the foot of Lower Mersey Street in Ellesmere Port. The lighthouse is across the entrance to the Ellesmere Canal from the museum complex. Access to the lighthouse itself is through private property and is closed, but there's an excellent view from the museum, which is open daily except Christmas through January 2. Owner/site manager: National Waterways Museum Ellesmere Port. ARLHS ENG-278.
* Hale Head (2)
1906 (station established 1838). Inactive since 1958. 17.5 m (58 ft) brick tower attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. The house is a private residence. The Fresnel lens from the lighthouse is displayed at the Merseyside Maritime Museum in Liverpool. Ian Wright's photo is at right, Mike Pennington has another good photo, Wikimedia has several photos including Peter Vardy's fine closeup, and Google has an aerial view. The lighthouse is clearly endangered by erosion of the river bank; Marinas.com aerial photos show the seawalls that have been built to protect it. Located on a promontory on the north bank of the Mersey about 4 km (2.5 mi) east of Liverpool John Lennon Airport. Accessible by an easy walk of about 1200 m (3/4 mile) from Hale Church. Site and tower closed, but walkers can pass very close to the buildings. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS ENG-187.

Hale Head Light, October 2007
photo copyright Ian Wright; used by permission

Lighthouses of Lancashire

Fylde Borough Lighthouse
* Lytham-St.-Anne's (4?) (The White Church)
1998 (the tower was completed in 1912) (station established 1848). Active (privately maintained); focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) octagonal stone church tower. The church is built of unpainted white stone and is commonly known as the White Church. Trabas has an excellent photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. A 22 m (72 ft) stone lighthouse was built on Stanner Point, Lytham, in 1848. Erosion quickly took it to sea, and it collapsed in the winter of 1863. A 25 m (82 ft) stone tower replaced it in 1865, but that lighthouse also went to sea and collapsed. Lighthouse Explorer has a drawing of the second lighthouse. Subsequently an offshore pile lighthouse known as Peet's Light marked the point; Peter Bond has a photo of the foundation ruins of that light. Installed and maintained by the Ribble Cruising Club, the current light marks the north side of the entrance to the River Ribble. With an offshore beacon it forms a range that is useful to returning sailors. Located on Clifton Drive South at Ansdell Road in Lytham-St.-Anne's. Site open, tower status unknown. Owner/site manager: Fairhaven United Reform Church . ARLHS ENG-147; Admiralty A4929.3.

Blackpool Lighthouses
* Blackpool Range Rear
Date unknown. Active (?); focal plane approx. 13 m (43 ft); two continuous yellow lights, one above the other. 10 m (33 ft) cylindrical ventilation tower, mounted atop a 1-story stone building; the lights are mounted on the side of the tower. Tower painted gray with two white horizontal bands. A closeup photo is available, and the photographer says the light is now disused. Trabas has a closeup photo of the tower enclosed in scaffolding, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located on The Promenade at Rigby Road in Blackpool. Site open, tower closed. Operator: unknown. ARLHS ENG-282; Admiralty A4921.1.
* Blackpool Tower
Date unknown (tower opened in 1894). Active; focal plane 158 m (518 ft); continuous red light. 158 m (518 ft) square tapered steel observation tower, painted a dark red. Trabas has a photo, Wikimedia has numerous photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. This is primarily an aircraft warning light, but it also has some navigational value. Inspired by the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Blackpool Tower has been a leading tourist attraction in northwest England for well over a century. Located on the Blackpool Promenade at Victoria Street, a few blocks south of the North Pier. Site and tower open. Owner/site manager: The Blackpool Tower. Admiralty A4919.

Wyre Borough Lighthouses
Wyre
1840 (Alexander Mitchell). Inactive since 1979. Ruins of a cottage screwpile lighthouse; only the seven screwpile legs and part of the platform survive. The house was destroyed by fire in 1948. A light was maintained atop the platform until 1979. Antony McCann has a photo and a closeup, and Arnold Price also has a photo. Pete Skinner has posted a drawing showing the original appearance of the lighthouse, and Huelse has a historic postcard view. Michel Forand contributed to Lighthouse Explorer a second postcard view and a plan of the lighthouse. This was the world's first successful screwpile lighthouse, so the site has great significance in lighthouse history. The old light is gravely endangered, and efforts by the Fleetwood Civic Society to save it have been frustrated by uncertainty over who owns it. Located on the North Wharf Sandbank at the entrance to the narrow channel to Fleetwood, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of the town. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown. ARLHS ENG-171; ex-Admiralty A4888.
* Fleetwood Low (Range Front)
1840 (Decimus Burton). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green flash every 2 s, visible only on the range line. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with domed roof and gallery, centered on a colonnaded stone 1-story square building. The light is displayed through a narrow vertical window. Lighthouse unpainted, gallery rail painted white. A photo is at right, Trabas also has a good photo, Wikimedia has many photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. The building has a neoclassical design unusual for a lighthouse. Located on the Esplanade at Albert Street in Fleetwood, on the west side of the mouth of the River Wyre in Fleetwood. Site open, tower closed except during Heritage Open Days in September. Operator: Port of Fleetwood. ARLHS ENG-195; Admiralty A4892; NGA 5152.
* Fleetwood High (Range Rear)
1840 (Decimus Burton). Active; focal plane 28 m (93 ft); green flash every 4 s, visible only on the range line. 27 m (89 ft) stone tower with domed roof and gallery. Light displayed through a narrow vertical window. Lighthouse unpainted, gallery rail painted white. Trabas has a photo, Sam Beckwith has also posted a good photo, Wikimedia has photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. These two fine lighthouses are among the town's best known architectural monuments. Located in Pharos Place, at the intersection of Pharos and Lower Lune Streets in Fleetwood, 320 m (1050 ft) south of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Port of Fleetwood. ARLHS ENG-043; Admiralty A4892.1; NGA 5156.

Fleetwood Lower Light, Fleetwood, October 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Killer Biscuit

City of Lancaster Lighthouses
Plover Scar Range Front
1847. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white flash every 2 s. 8 m (27 ft) tapered stone tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern black. A keeper's house survives onshore near the ruins of Cockersand Abbey. Trabas has a photo by Arno Siering, Chris Kirk has a 2008 closeup, David Medcalf has a photo, another good photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. The rear range lighthouse was replaced in 1963 by a 15 m (49 ft) skeletal tower. Located about 400 m (1/4 mile) off shore at the southern entrance to the River Lune about 3 km (2 mi) southwest of Glasson. Accessible only by boat, but easily seen from shore. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Lancaster Port Commission. ARLHS ENG-315; Admiralty A4876; NGA 5144.
* Glasson Dock
Date unknown. Inactive. 6 m (20 ft) hexagonal tower with lantern rising from a 1-story brick building. Entire lighthouse painted white. Betty Longbottom has a closeup photo, a 2007 photo is available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. This was always a privately maintained light. It was apparently replaced by a light on the red skeletal tower shown in Trabas's photo, but that tower also appears inactive. Located at the end of the east pier at Glasson. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty A4879.2.
[Heysham South Breakwater]
1929. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two continuous green lights, one above the other. 6 m (20 ft) post, painted white. Behind the light is the original 4 m (13 ft) cylindrical fog signal building with gallery, painted white; this tower resembles a small lighthouse. Fog siren (blast every 30 s). Trabas has a photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the end of the breakwater; good views from ferries departing Heysham for Ireland and the Isle of Man. Site status unknown; storms have damaged the breakwater and it is not walkable. Operator: Peel Ports Heysham (Mersey Docks and Harbour Company). ARLHS ENG-191; Admiralty A4860; NGA 5124.
* Heysham South Pier
1904. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green light, 6 s on, 1.5 s off. 6 m (20 ft) cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted red, lantern and gallery white. Trabas has a good photo, Steve Fareham has a fine photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located at the end of the south pier; good views from ferries departing Heysham for Ireland and the Isle of Man. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Peel Ports Heysham (Mersey Docks and Harbour Company). ARLHS ENG-192; Admiralty A4863; NGA 5132.
* Near Naze (1)
1904. Inactive since at least 1916. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round stone tower with gallery, unpainted. A fine closeup is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. When Heysham Harbour was built in 1904, this lighthouse was apparently built to warn small craft to avoid the adjacent rocky shoal called Near Naze. However, it must have been replaced within a few years by the next lighthouse listed. Located just off Shore Road near the Portway in Heysham. Site open, tower closed.
* [Near Naze (2) (Range Rear)]
Date unknown (by 1916). Inactive for many years. Round stone base of a former lighthouse. Originally, this was a 21 m (69 ft) cast iron skeletal tower that served as a rear light for a range whose front light was the Heysham South Pier Light (next entry). Light list data indicates the light was in place at least by 1916. The skeletal tower has been removed; what remains is the round stone base of the lighthouse. A photo is available, Steve Fareham has a photo showing what's left of both Near Naze lighthouses, Peter Petralia has another photo of the two lighthouses, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. Located just off Shore Road near the Portway in Heysham. Site open.
* Morecambe (Stone Pier)
1855. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); continuous white light. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery. Tower unpainted, lantern and gallery painted white. 1-story stone railway depot adjacent to the tower. Linda Hartley's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has an aerial view. This lighthouse formerly guided railroad ferries sailing between Morecambe and Ireland. Located at the end of the Stone Pier in Morecambe, a port on Morecambe Bay about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Lancaster. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Lancaster Port Commission. ARLHS ENG-190; Admiralty A4850.
Morecambe Light
Morecambe Light, Lancaster, January 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Linda Hartley

Lighthouses of Cumbria

Barrow-in-Furness Borough Lighthouses
* Rampside (Walney Channel Middle Range Rear)
Between 1850 and 1870. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. Approx. 16 m (52 ft) slender square cylindrical brick tower with a pyramidal top; light shown through a window. The unpainted tower is built with red and light yellow bricks, giving at a distance the appearance of vertical red and white stripes (one white stripe on each of the four faces). Trabas has a photo, Ned Trifle has a good 2005 photo, another photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view, although it's not clear if it shows this tower or a sister tower now lost. This unusual tower, known locally as The Needle, is the only survivor of 13 range lights built on the approaches to Rampside and Barrow in the 1850-1870 period. Slated for demolition, it was saved after Rampside residents worked to have it listed as a historic structure. The front light is quite modern: a 7 m (23 ft) round barbell-shaped fiberglass tower. Located on the shoreline at Rampside, just off the A5087 about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Barrow-in-Furness. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Port of Barrow. ARLHS ENG-201; Admiralty A4824.1; NGA 5076.
* Walney (2)
1804 (E. Dawson) (station established 1790). Active; focal plane 21 m (70 ft); one long (1.5 s) white flash every 15 s. 24 m (80 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. 2-story duplex keeper's house, now a private residence, and other buildings. Chris Hills's photo is at right, Trabas has a great closeup photo, Anne Lister has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. Walney Island is a barrier island about 15 km (10 mi) long off the west end of the Furness peninsula. The island is accessible by bridge from Barrow-in-Furness on the A590 highway. The lighthouse was built at the southern tip of the island in 1790, but since then the island has extended itself several miles first south and then east in a long, sandy hook; this extension is now the South Walney Nature Reserve, managed by the Cumbria Wildlife Trust. The keeper's house was for sale for £250,000 at the end of 2013. Overnight accommodations are available near the lighthouse in the former Coast Guard station. Located near the end of the paved road at South End. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from nearby, either from the road or the beach. Operator: Lancaster Port Commission (?). ARLHS ENG-161; Admiralty A4820; NGA 5052.
Walney Light
Walney Light, Barrow-in-Furness, September 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Chris Hills

Copeland Borough Lighthouses
* Hodbarrow Point (Haverigg, Millom) (1)
1866. Inactive since 1905. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) round stone tower with castellated top and gallery; the light was shown through a window. Millichamp has a photo (middle photo in the fourth row), Andrew Hill has a photo, Bill Wakefield has a closeup of the top of the tower, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse was built and operated privately by the Hodbarrow Mining Company to guide ships serving its iron mines in the Haverigg area. The long-abandoned tower is open to the elements and will soon be crumbling into ruins. Located on Hodbarrow Point east of the mining company seawall. Accessible by hiking trail. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Haverigg Lighthouse Club. ARLHS ENG-193.
* Hodbarrow Point (Haverigg) (2)
1905. Reactivated (inactive 1949-2003; now privately maintained); focal plane about 12 m (39 ft); white flash every 4 s. 9 m (30 ft) cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. Trabas has a closeup photo, Stuart Ruffell has a more distant view, Bill Wakefield has an August 2006 closeup, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. Prefabricated by Cochrane and Co., this lighthouse was built and operated privately by the Hodbarrow Mining Company to guide ships serving its iron mines in the Haverigg area. The lighthouse was placed on an artificial berm built to expand the mining area. The abandoned mines behind the berm have been flooded and are now a bird sanctuary. Efforts to save the abandoned lighthouse began in 1996, and the lighthouse was restored in 2003 by the Haverigg Lighthouse Committee with a grant of £20,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Millichamp has photos of the restoration project. Located on the Duddon Estuary about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of Hodbarrow Point and 1200 m (3/4 mi) southeast of Haverigg; accessible by walking the berm in either direction. Site open, tower closed. Owner: unknown. Site manager: Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (Hodbarrow Nature Reserve). Admiralty A4805; ARLHS ENG-054.
* St. Bee's Head (North Head) (2)
1822 (Joseph Nelson) (station established 1718). Active; focal plane 102 m (336 ft); two white flashes, separated by 3 s, every 15 s. 17 m (55 ft) cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white. 1-story keeper's house. Humphrey Bolton's photo is at right, a nice closeup photo is available, also a good view of the station; both were posted by hikers on the Coast to Coast Walk, a cross-England trail that begins near the lighthouse. Trabas also has an excellent photo, Nigel Chadwick has a 2009 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a ground view and a fine satellite view. This is the only light station in northwestern England operated by Trinity House. The original lighthouse, built by Thomas Lutwige, was a 9 m (30 ft) stone tower lit by a coal fire. It was replaced after being gutted by fire in 1822. The present light was altered, presumably by installation of the current lantern, in 1866. The lighthouse was staffed until it was automated in 1987. Located on a prominent cape about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Whitehaven, the light station marks the southern entrance to Solway Firth. Accessible by private road; most visitors arrive by the hiking trail that passes nearby. Site and tower closed, but good views are available from nearby. Operator: Trinity House. Site manager: private. ARLHS ENG-142; Admiralty A4710; NGA 4892.
St. Bee's Head Light
St. Bee's Head Light, Whitehaven, May 2003
Geograph Creative Commons photo
by Humphrey Bolton
* Whitehaven Old New Quay (Old Outer Quay)
1742 (?). Inactive. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) stone tower, unpainted, with a large window near the top. Photos are available (lower half of the page), Humphrey Bolton has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This structure, often called the "Old Lighthouse," was used primarily as a watchtower. The tower was undoubtedly a daybeacon, and Findlay's 1879 list mentions a red light displayed "on Old Quay." Located on the 17th century Old New Quay, which now encloses the Inner Harbour of Whitehaven. Accessible by walking the quay. Site open, tower status unknown.
* Whitehaven West Pier (2)
Date unknown (station established 1823). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); green flash every 5 s. 14.5 m (47 ft) brick tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with red trim; lantern dome is gray metallic. Danny Seward's photo is at right, Ian Wright has contributed a photo, Trabas has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The west pier was built in 1821. According to Findlay's 1879 list, the original light was 11 m (37 ft) tall. In 2013, both pier lighthouses were reported to be in poor condition, suffering from vandalism and much of need of repair and repainting. Located at the end of the west breakwater at Whitehaven; accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Whitehaven Marina. ARLHS ENG-245; Admiralty A4698; NGA 4880.
* Whitehaven North Pier
1841. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); two continuous red lights, one above the other. 7 m (23 ft) stucco-covered brick tower with castellated top and a gallery midway up the side; the lights are mounted on a mast atop the tower. Lighthouse painted white with red trim. Trabas has a photo, Dave Bevis has a 2010 photo showing both Whitehaven lighthouses, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This lighthouse was built at the same time as the pier. Located at the end of the northeast breakwater at Whitehaven; accessible by walking the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Whitehaven Marina. ARLHS ENG-166; Admiralty A4700; NGA 4884.

Allerdale Borough (Solway Firth) Lighthouses
* Workington
Date unknown (station established 1825). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) square Coast Guard station with two galleries; the light is shown from a short post. Building painted white. Trabas has a photo, Alexander Kapp has a 2007 photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Huelse has a postcard view of an older beacon on the pier. Located at the end of the south breakwater at Workington. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ENG-248; Admiralty A4688; NGA 4864.

Whitehaven West Pier Light
Whitehaven West Pier Light, November 2005
Geograph Creative Commons photo
by Danny Seward

* Maryport (2)
1856 (?) (station established 1796). Inactive. 11 m (35 ft) octagonal cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern, mounted on a 1-story octagonal stone base. Base unpainted, tower painted white, lantern black. In this unusual design, a slender column supports the lantern and stands on a broad base. Ian Wright has contributed a photo, Alexander Kapp has a good photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos., and Google has a good street view and a satellite view. Findlay has 1856 as the date for this tower, but Millichamp has 1846. The lighthouse was replaced by a short concrete tower and then (1996) by an aluminum tower (next entry). Located at the elbow of the west breakwater in Maryport; accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Maryport Harbour and Marina. ARLHS ENG-080.
* [Maryport (4)]
1996 (station established 1796). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 1.5 s. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal white aluminum tower; no lantern. Ian Wright has contributed a photo, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This light had been maintained by Trinity House, but in May 2010 it was announced that the light would be transferred to local management. The transfer was carried out on 30 November 2011. Located at the end of the west breakwater at Maryport. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Maryport Harbour and Marina. Admiralty A4676; NGA 4860.
Lees Scar ("Tommy Legs")
1841. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green flash every 10 s. 11 m (36 ft) lantern mounted atop a square pyramidal skeletal tower. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a good photo, Phil Williams has a photo, Wikimedia has photos, and Google has a satellite view. The lower half of the skeletal tower formerly supported the platform of a cottage lighthouse. We need more information on the history of this historic light. Located about 800 m (1/2 mi) south of Silloth. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Port of Silloth. ARLHS ENG-064; Admiralty A4670; NGA 4844.
* East Cote (Eastcote, Skinburness) (3?)
1913 (station established 1841?). Active; focal plane 15 m (50 ft); continuous green light. 12 m (39 ft) square pyramidal corrugated iron skeletal tower with octagonal lantern and gallery. Steve Fareham's photo is at right, a 2007 photo is available, Trabas has a good photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse was formerly the rear light of a range. Millichamp has 1841 as the date of the first lighthouse, but a plaque on the tower says that the present light replace a mobile light installed in 1864. The historic tower was restored by Associated British Ports in 1996. Located on Skinburness Road about 1 km (2/3 mi) north of the harbor of Silloth, on the south side of Solway Firth. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Port of Silloth. ARLHS ENG-318; Admiralty A4671; NGA 4848.

Eastcote Light
East Cote Light, Silloth, September 2010
Geograph Creative Commons photo by Steve Fareham

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Southwestern Scotland | South: Wales

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted November 5, 2005. Checked and revised July 8, 2014. Lighthouses: 29, Lightships: 1. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.