Lighthouses of Spain: Western Galicia

Galicia is an autonomous region in the northwestern corner of Spain, including the three coastal provinces of Lugo, A Coruña, and Pontevedra plus the inland province of Orense. This page includes lighthouses of the west coast of the region, in Pontevedra province and southern A Coruña province. The lighthouses are grouped by district (comarca).

The Galician coastline is rugged and scenic, but very dangerous to navigation; it is often called the "Coast of Death" (Costa da Morte in Galego). Most of the harbors are partly-sheltered bays called rías, a word similar to "roads" as it is used in nautical English. There are also several major protected harbors, including Vigo in Pontevedra.

Galicians speak Galego (or Gallego), a distinctive language related to Portuguese. Galicia itself is called Galiza in Galego. The word for a lighthouse is faro in Spanish and farol in Galego, but its use is generally restricted to the larger coastal light stations. Smaller lighthouses are called balizas (beacons). The navigational lights in Spain are regulated at the national level by the Comisíon de Faros, but they are operated and maintained by the regional port authorities, one or more in each province.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. ES numbers are from the Spanish national list of lights, Libro de Faros. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Libro de Faros y Señales de Niebla
Online edition of the official Spanish light list.
Historia de los Faros
Fact sheets on the major lighthouses, with historical information, posted by the national port authority Puertos de España.
Online List of Lights - Spain Atlantic Coast
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Guías Masmar - Galicia
Photos and basic information on Galician lights.
Phares d'Europe
Photos and notes in French by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller.
Lighthouses in Spain
Excellent aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Lighthouses in Galiza
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Faros de Galicia
Posted by the education ministry of La Coruña, this site has small photos, descriptions, and historical information.
Los Faros de Cíes
Photos and historical accounts of the lighthouses of the Islas Cíes, by Javier Albertos Benayas.
Plano de Balizamiento
Information posted by the Porto de Vigo.
Aids to Navigation
Information posted by the Porto de Vilagarcía.
Faros y Balizas
Information posted by the Porto de Marín.
Leuchttürme Spaniens auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
 


Cabo Finisterre (Fisterra) Light, Cée, August 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Gabriele Margapoti

Monte Louro Light
Monte Louro Light, Muros, July 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Eladio Anxo Fernández Manso

Lighthouses of Pontevedra Province

Vigo District: Ría de Vigo South Side Lighthouses
* Cabo Silleiro (2)
1924 (station established 1862). Active; focal plane 85 m (279 ft); three white flashes in a 2+1 pattern every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a large 2-story keeper's complex. Tower painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern is red; keeper's house painted white with unpainted gray stone trim. A photo is at right, a fine closeup is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Klaus Huelse has a historic postcard image of the 1866 lighthouse. Cabo Silleiro is a very prominent headland at the southern entrance to the Ría de Vigo, and the lighthouse here is important as a landfall light for Vigo and all the ports of Galicia. Located just above the PO-552 coastal highway about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Baiona. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ARLHS SPA-047; ES-05280; Admiralty D1916; NGA 3052.
* Cabo Silleiro (1)
1862. Inactive since 1924. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) stump of the square stone tower rising from the shell of the 1-story keeper's house. José Ignacio López has a photo, Luisa Gila Marino also has a photo, a more distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. The old lighthouse housed the fog signal beginning in 1931, but it has been abandoned for many years. Located on the point of the cape, about 800 m (1/2 mi) north of the present lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
Cabezo de San Xoan (Cabezo de San Juan, Puerto de Bayona Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 6 s. 9 m (30 ft) round masonry beacon with gallery, painted white. Trabas has a photo, a view from shore is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 1.5 km (1 mi) offshore of Nigrán. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ES-05250; Admiralty D1911; NGA 3040.
* Playa de Panxón (Panjón, Puerto de Bayona Range Rear) (2)
2007. Active; focal plane about 25 m (82 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 4 s. 15 m (49 ft) round concrete tower, centered on a 1-story building. The tower is unpainted gray concrete. José González has a photo, a photo of the light in action is available, and Google has a street view and a good satellite view. Trabas has a closeup photo of the original lighthouse. Although the two Panjón lights still operate as a range, the directional light is effective at a greater distance. Located on the Avenida Bernardo Vázquez in Nigrán, a resort town north of Baiona. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ES-05251; Admiralty D1911.1; NGA 3044.
Cabo Silleiro Light
Cabo Silleiro Light, Bayona, October 2012
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Elentir
Islotes Las Serralleiras
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green flash every 4 s. 6 m (20 ft) round stone tower. Lighthouse painted white with a thin green band at the top. Trabas has a distant view, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a reef on the south side of the entrance to the Ría de Vigo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ES-05230; Admiralty D1907.
Cabo Estay Anterior (Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 6 m (20 ft) pentagonal tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Fog horn (Morse code "V" for Vigo: three shorts and one long, every 60 s). Trabas has an excellent closeup photo, Jose Juan Fernández Morgado has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a headland on the south side of the lower Ría de Vigo, about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Vigo and 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of Saiáns. Site status unknown. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ARLHS SPA-332; ES-05210; Admiralty D1890; NGA 2940.
* Cabo Estay Posterior (Range Rear)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 7 m (23 ft) tile-covered pentagonal tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Trabas has an excellent photo, José Rodriguez has a closeup photo, Jose Juan Fernández Morgado has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located beside the Avenida de Ricardo Mella (PO 325), 660 m (0.4 mi) east northeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ARLHS SPA-333; ES-05211; Admiralty D1890.1; NGA 2944.
Bajo Tofiño
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); four green flashes every 14 s. 11 m (36 ft) round 2-stage stone tower with gallery. Upper stage painted green, lower stage white. Trabas has a photo, a fine closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the Ría de Vigo about 800 m (1/2 mi) of Alcabre on the west end of the Vigo waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ES-04810; Admiralty D1894; NGA 2956.
Museo do Mar (Museo del Mar)
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained and unofficial); focal plane about 12 m (39 ft); continuous white light. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round metal tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is red in color; the lantern is all glass. A 2012 closeup photo is available, Francisco Alvarez Bao has a photo, Miguel Angel Soutullo has a photo of the light in action, and Google has a satellite view. Trabas also has a photo; the tiny post at lower right carries the official quick-flashing green light (ES-04857; Admiralty D1895.55; NGA 2957). Located at the end of the pier at the maritime museum on the Vigo waterfront. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Museo do Mar de Galicia.
* La Guía (2)
Date unknown (station established 1844). Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white light occulting three times, in a 2+1 pattern, every 20 s. 9 m (30 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. A photo by Juan Tiagues is at right, Trabas has an excellent photo, which shows that the tower is nowhere near the 21 m (69 ft) height listed by NGA, another photo and a third photo are available, and Google has a good street view and a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view showing a small attached cottage and a secondary lantern, both of which have been removed. Located on a promontory at the end of the Calle del Doctor Corbal in La Guía, a neighborhood northeast of Vigo on the south side of the Ría de Vigo. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ARLHS SPA-172; ES-05010; Admiralty D1901.5; NGA 3012.
La Guía Light
La Guía Light, Vigo, July 2013
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Juan Tiagues


Vigo District: Illas Cíes Lighthouses
Note: The Illas (Islas) Cíes are three steep, rocky islands arranged north to south off the entrance to the Ría de Vigo: Isla Monteagudo on the north, Illa de Faro in the center, and Illa de San Martiño in the south.
Illa Boeiro (Agoeiro)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); two red flashes every 8 s. 6 m (20 ft) round stone tower, painted white with a thin red band at the top. S. Fagilde has a 2009 photo, Trabas has a very distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a skerry off the south end of the Illa de San Martiño. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-014; ES-04755; Admiralty D1889; NGA 2932.
Cabo Vicos (Farol dos Bicos)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 94 m (308 ft); three red flashes every 9 s. 7 m (23 ft) round stone tower with gallery; the lantern has been replaced by a short round light tower with the light on top. The tower is unpainted white stone; light tower painted red. Helena Blein has a 2008 closeup, the Masmar site has a closeup, Trabas has a distant view from the sea (note the Monte del Faro lighthouse at upper right), and Google has a satellite view. Located on the steep southeastern tip of the Illa de San Martiño. Accessible by what must be a challenging hiking trail. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-054; ES-04750; Admiralty D1888; NGA 2928.
* Punta Canabal ("Farol da Porta")
1918. Active; focal plane 63 m (207 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 10 m two-stage cylindrical tower, with a narrow column mounted atop a circular 1-story equipment room. Tower painted white with a narrow blue horizontal band. A photo is at right, J.A. Alcaide has a photo, a 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the southern end of Isla del Faro, marking the passage between that island and the Isla de San Martiño. Accessible by hiking trail. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. Site manager: Parque Natural de las Islas Atlánticas. ARLHS SPA-201; ES-04745; Admiralty D1886; NGA 2924.
* Monte del Faro (Islas Cíes)
1980 (station established 1853). Active; focal plane 185 m (607 ft); two white flashes every 8 s. 10 m (33 ft) cylindrical granite tower with lantern and double gallery. Tower is unpainted; lantern painted white. Square 1-story granite keeper's house, also unpainted but with white trim. José Rodriguez has a photo, Mario Sánchez Prada's photo gives a good view of the peak and lighthouse, Wikimedia has a closeup photo, a closeup of the light tower is available, and Google has a good satellite view. The lighthouse stands atop a sharp peak and is reached by a steep road having many switchbacks. The islands are part of a national park, accessible at least in the summer by passenger ferries from Cangas and from Vigo. Located at the highest point of Isla del Faro. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. Site manager: Parque Natural de las Islas Atlánticas. ARLHS SPA-181; ES-04740; Admiralty D1884; NGA 2920.
* Monte Agudo
1904. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); green flash every 5 s. 5 m (16 ft) cylindrical equipment room with gallery; the light is displayed from a short mast. Access to the gallery is by a stairway that spirals around the tower. A circular wall surrounds the light. All structures painted white. A 2010 photo is available, Trabas has a distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the northeast coast of Isla Monteagudo, the northernmost of the three Islas Cíes (see next entry). Accessible by a hiking trail from Isla del Faro to the south (the two islands are joined by a sandbar). Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parque Natural de las Islas Atlánticas. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ARLHS SPA-244; ES-04730; Admiralty D1882; NGA 2916.
Punta Cantabal Light
Punta Cantabal Light (Farol da Porta), Illas Cías, July 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Drow male

O Morrazo District: Ría de Vigo North Side Lighthouses
Con de Pego
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); four red flashes every 11 s. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower on a square concrete base. Tower painted red, base white. Trabas has a view from the shore, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a reef on the north side of the channel of the Ría de Vigo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ES-04870; Admiralty D1895.6; NGA 3016.
* Cangas Inner Mole (?)
Date unknown. Inactive since 2011. This was a 6 m (20 ft) square stone tower, lower half unpainted, upper half painted red. Trabas has a closeup photo. The active light has been moved to a small lamp mounted on the end of the breakwater, and it appears from Google's satellite view that the lighthouse has been removed. Located at the end of the main breakwater mole at Cangas, on the north side of the Ría de Vigo. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ES-04850; Admiralty D1895.4; NGA 2968.
Punta Borneira
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two red flashes every 7 s. 11 m (36 ft) round 2-stage stone tower with gallery. Upper stage painted red, lower stage white. A photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the Ría de Vigo about 7 km (4 mi) west of the Vigo waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ES-04800; Admiralty D1892; NGA 2960.
Punta Borneiro Light
Punta Borneira Light, Vigo, September 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by davidcmg
* Cabo del Home Posterior (Range Rear)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); white light, 4.3 s on, 1.7 s off. 13 m (43 ft) round masonry tower with gallery; the light is displayed from a short mast. A column behind the mast blocks visibility of the light from directions other than the northwest. Tower painted red with two narrow white horizontal bands. Trabas has a fine photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the eastern point of the two points of Cabo del Home, about 8 km (5 mi) due west of Cambados and 815 m (1/2 mi) east southeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ARLHS SPA-024; ES-04760.1; Admiralty D1876.1; NGA 2912.
* Punta Robaleira
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 29 m (87 ft); two flashes every 7.5 s, white or red depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) short round masonry tower atop a round 1-story masonry equipment room. Tower painted red with white trim. Trabas has a good closeup photo, José Ignacio López also has a closeup photo, Isaac Peña's October 2007 photo shows a freshly painted tower, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the extreme southern tip of the western point of the two points of Cabo del Home, about 8 km (5 mi) due west of Cambados and only 300 m (330 yd) south of the Cabo del Home Anterior light. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. ES-04770; Admiralty D1874; NGA 2904.
* Cabo del Home Anterior (Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white light, 1.3 s on, 1.7 s off. 19 m (62 ft) round masonry tower with gallery; the light is displayed from a short mast. Tower painted white. Pablo Charlón's photo is at right, Trabas has a good closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light and the Cabo del Home Posterior light form a range guiding ships into the northern entrance to the Ría de Vigo. Located on the western point of the two points of Cabo del Home, about 8 km (5 mi) due west of Cambados. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de Vigo. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-331; ES-04760 Admiralty D1876; NGA 2908.

O Morrazo District: Ría de Pontevedra Lighthouses
* Punta Couso
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); three flashes every 10.5 s, white or green depending on direction. 5 m (16 ft) round stone tower with gallery; the light is displayed from a short mast. Tower painted white with a narrow green band at the top. Trabas has a photo, another good photo is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a promontory at the southern entrance to the Ría de Pontevedra about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Cambados. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Puerto de Marín. ARLHS SPA-204; ES-04710; Admiralty D1873; NGA 2896.

Cabo del Home Range Front Light, July 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Pablo Charlón
Bajo Cabezo de la Mourisca
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two green flashes every 7 s. 12 m (39 ft) round stone tower, painted white with a green band at the top. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the south side of the Ría de Pontevedra about 2 km (1.25 mi) northeast of Punta Couso. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Puerto de Marín. ES-04590; Admiralty D1872; NGA 2888.

Pontevedra District Lighthouse
Isla Tambo (Punta Tenlo Chico)
1922. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white light occulting three times every 8 s. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) narrow round stone tower mounted on a round 1-story stone equipment room. There is a small lantern and gallery accessed by an external stairway that spirals around the tower. Tower is unpainted dark gray stone; lantern is a lighter gray. Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, Spanish Wikipedia has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. The wooded Isla de Tambo, a nature reserve, is located in the middle of the Ría de Pontevedra about 2 km (1.2 mi) north of Marín. Located on the southern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Puerto de Marín. ARLHS SPA-159; ES-04630; Admiralty D1860; NGA 2856.

O Morrazo District: Illa de Ons Lighthouses
** Isla de Ons (Illa de Ons) (2)
1926 (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 127 m (417 ft); four white flashes every 24 s. 12 m (39 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to the rear of a U-shaped 1-story keeper's house. 1st order Fresnel lens in use. Buildings painted white with unpainted stone trim; the trim on the tower gives the impression of gray vertical stripes. Lantern dome is gray metallic; roof of the house is red. A photo is at right, Marcos González has a good photo, José Ignacio López has a fine photo, a good closeup is available, and Google has a satellite view. The current lighthouse is built on the foundation of the original. The Isla de Ons is the largest island of Spain's Atlantic coast, about 7 km (4 mi) long from north to south and located about 8 km (5 mi) west of the entrance to the Ría de Marín. The island is accessible, at least in the summer, by passenger ferry from Sanxenxo. In 2002, the island was included with several others in a new national park. The lighthouse is located at the center of the island, which is also the highest point. Site open, tower said to be open by arrangement with the resident caretaker. Operator: Puerto de Marín. Site manager: Parque Natural de las Islas Atlánticas. ARLHS SPA-154; ES-04520; Admiralty D1846; NGA 2832.
Bajo de los Camoucos (Illote Torre de Camouxo)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); three red flashes every 18 s. 13 m (43 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a red band around the top. An excellent closeup photo is available, Trabas has a very distant photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. This light and the Bajo Picomillo light (next entry) guides vessels through the passage between the mainland and the north end of the Isla Monteagudo. Located about 800 m (1/2 mi) off the northeastern tip of Isla Monteagudo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Puerto de Marín. ES-04540; Admiralty D1848; NGA 2840.
Isla de Ons Light
Isla de Ons Light, August 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Danidvt

O Salnés District Lighthouses
Bajo Picamillo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a green band around the top. Trabas has a very distant photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located midway in the passage between the mainland and the north end of the Isla Monteagudo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Puerto de Marín. ES-04560; Admiralty D1850; NGA 2844.
Bajo Pombeiriño
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two green flashes every 12 s. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a green band around the top. There appears to be a watch room space below the gallery. Trabas has an excellent photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the south side of the entrance to the Ría de Arousa, about 1 km (0.6 mi) off the Barrio Carreiro northwest of Piedras Negras. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ARLHS SPA-281; ES-04150; Admiralty D1800; NGA 2740.
Bajo Con de Estro (Piedras Salvores)
Date unknown. Inactive since the 1990s. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a green band around the top. A photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. This former light is still maintained as a daybeacon. Located in the Ría de Arousa about 1.6 km (1 mi) off the entrance to the small harbor of Meloxo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ES-04510.
Bajo Golfiera
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); quick green flash every 1 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a green band around the top. Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. This light and the next one frame the entrance to Cambados. Located about 1 km (0.6 mi) north of the harbor of O Grove on the south side of the Ría de Arousa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ES-04440; Admiralty D1810; NGA 2824.
Bajo Lobeira de Cambados
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three red flashes every 9 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a red band around the top. Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. This light and the previous one frame the entrance to Cambados. Located about 1 km (0.6 mi) due north of the Bajo Golfiera light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ES-04450; Admiralty D1808; NGA 2812.
Bajo Praguero de Fuera
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); four green flashes every 11 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a green band around the top. Trabas has a very distant view, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located about 1.5 km (1 mi) southeast of the south end of the Illa de Arousa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ES-04430; Admiralty D1806; NGA 2820.
Bajo Con de Estro Light
Bajo Con de Estro Light, August 2011
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by manuimac
Bajo La Loba
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); two green flashes every 7 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a green band around the top. Trabas has a very distant view, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located about 3 km (2 mi) east of the south end of the Illa de Arousa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ES-04210; Admiralty D1816; NGA 2748.
Bajo Piedra Seca
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); three green flashes every 9 s. 12 m (39 ft) round stone tower with double gallery, painted white with a green band around the top. Trabas has a very distant view, but the light is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located in the center of the Ría de Arousa, about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) east of the Isla de Rua. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ES-04220; Admiralty D1824; NGA 2752.
* Punta Cabalo (Illa de Arousa)
1853. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); four white flashes every 13 s. 5 m (16 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a square 1-story keeper's house; modern 500 mm lens. Tower unpainted; lantern is metallic gray; house painted white with a red tile roof. A photo is at right, Trabas has an excellent photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The Isla de Arosa, or Illa de Arousa in Galego, is a substantial island, about 7 km (4 mi) long, on the eastern side of the Ría de Arousa. The island is accessible by a bridge on the PO-307 highway from Vilanova de Arousa. The lighthouse is on the rocky northwestern tip of the island. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ARLHS SPA-222; ES-04260; Admiralty D1826; NGA 2768.
* Vilagarcía (Rosa de Mar)
2008. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); two green flashes every 7 s. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) blue sculpture. Carlos Abella Rey has 2010 a photo, the Cimarq consulting engineering firm has photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The work is by the Galician sculptor Xaquín Chaves; he describes it as a "metaphor of the ocean and sky." Located at the end of the quay at the entrance to Vilagarcía harbor. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ES-04378; Admiralty D1839.8.
Farol da Cabalo
Punta Cabalo Light, Illa da Arousa, February 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Elentir

Lighthouses of Southern A Coruña Province

O Barbanza District Lighthouses
Bajo Sinal de Ostreira
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a red band around the top. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the west side of the Ría de Arousa off the small harbor of A Pobra de Caramiñal. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ES-04280; Admiralty D1828; NGA 2776.
Isla Rúa
1869. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); three white flashes in a 2+1 pattern every 21 s; red flashes are shown in a sector to the south and southeast. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical granite tower with lantern and gallery, embedded in one end of a 1-story keeper's house. The buildings are unpainted; lantern dome is gray metallic. Tomás Sestayo has a photo, Trabas has a long-range photo, another photo is available (third row of photos), Michel Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small rocky island in the Ría de Arousa about 5 km (3 mi) east of Ribeira. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ARLHS SPA-156; ES-04160; Admiralty D1818; NGA 2756.
Piedras del Sargo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); quick green flash every 1 s. 12 m (39 ft) round stone tower with gallery, painted white with a green band around the top. Trabas has a very distant view, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a reef on the north side of the entrance to the Illa de Arousa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ES-04140; Admiralty D1798; NGA 2732.
Illa de Sálvora (Isla de Sálvora) (2)
1921 (station established 1852). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); four white flashes in a 3+1 pattern every 20 s; the fourth flash is omitted in a sector to the northwest. 16 m (52 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a U-shaped 1-story keeper's house. Tower painted white with one narrow horizontal red band; lantern dome is gray metallic; house painted white. Guyomard and Carceller have a good closeup photo, Fran García has three photos taken from the sea, Michel Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. The Isla de Sálvora is a rocky island, about 2 km (1.2 mi) long, in the center of the entrance to the Ría de Arousa, which leads to the port of Vilagarcía. In 2002, the island was included with several others in a new national park. Located at the southern point of the island. Accessible only by boat; tours of the island can be arranged from Ribeira. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. Site manager: Parque Natural de las Islas Atlánticas. ARLHS SPA-157; ES-04120; Admiralty D1796; NGA 2724.
* Corrubedo
1854. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); five white flashes in a 3+2 pattern every 20 s; red flashes are shown in a sector to the south. 14 m (46 ft) round granite tower with lantern and gallery, mounted atop a semicircular 1-story masonry keeper's house. A large Fresnel lens is in use. Tower unpainted; lantern is metallic gray; house painted white. Fog siren (three 5 s blasts every 60 s). A photo is at right, Trabas has a great closeup, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a closeup street view and a satellite view. Cabo Corrubedo is the most dangerous Spanish cape south of Finisterre, since it projects far into the sea and the ridge continues underwater as a series of shoals. The unusual semicircular design of the keeper's house was meant to minimize wind resistance. Located on the point of the cape, at the end of the AC-303 highway, about 1.5 km (1 mi) due west of the town of Corrubedo. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ARLHS SPA-012; ES-04100; Admiralty D1794; NGA 2716.

Moonrise, Corrubedo Light, Ribeira, August 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by javidesi

Muros District Lighthouses
* Cabo Rebordiño
1909 (Salvador López Miño). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); two red flashes every 7 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 2-story keeper's house. Tower painted white; lantern dome is silvery metallic; house painted white with unpainted stone trim and a red roof. Trabas has an excellent photo, José Ignacio López has another good photo, Michel Forand has a historic postcard view, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is a typical tourelle, almost certainly prefabricated in France. An unusual feature of ths lighthouse is a bridge connecting the gallery to the flat roof of the keeper's house. Located on an east-pointing promontory, beside the AC-550 highway about 1 km (0.6 mi) southeast of Muros, marking the entrance to the harbor of that town. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ARLHS SPA-040; ES-04000; Admiralty D1786; NGA 2692.
* Monte Louro (Punta Queixal)
1862. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three white flashes in a 2+1 pattern every 12 s. 7 m (23 ft) hexagonal granite tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a small 1-story keeper's house. Tower unpainted; lantern dome painted white; house painted white with unpainted stone trim and a red roof. A photo by Eladio Anxo Fernández Manso is at the top of this page, Trabas has a great photo, Victor Bao has a 2011 photo, a 2012 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse stands at the end of a south-pointing peninsula that shelters the northern entrance to the Ría de Muros e Noia. Located about 3 km (2 mi) south of Louro. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ARLHS SPA-182; ES-03990; Admiralty D1784; NGA 2688.
* Punta Ínsua (Lariño)
1921 (Salvador López Miño). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three flashes every 9 s, white or red depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the rear of a 1-story keeper's house. Tower unpainted; lantern is silvery metallic; house painted white with unpainted stone trim and a red roof. A photo by José Antonio Gil Martínez is at right, Trabas has an excellent photo, Guyomard and Carceller have also posted a photo, and Google has a closeup street view and a satellite view. This lighthouse was completed in 1913, but it was not activated until after the end of World War I. Its light filled in a dark zone between Capes Corrubedo and Finisterre. Located on a headland at Lariño. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Porto de Vilagarcía. ARLHS SPA-235; ES-03980; Admiralty D1782; NGA 2684.
Islote Lobeira Grande
1909. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 2-story keeper's house. The building is unpainted; lantern painted white. Juan Manuel Lado Castro has a photo, Carlos Abella Rey has a photo, Trabas has a long-range photo, a view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. One recent visitor reported that the keeper's house is ruined inside. Located on a small, rocky island about 4 km (2.5 mi) due south of Cabo Cée. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de A Coruña. ARLHS SPA-168; ES-03920; Admiralty D1756; NGA 2680.

Punta Ínsua Light, Lariño, June 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by José Antonio Gil Martínez

Fisterra District (Cabo Finisterre Area) Lighthouses
Carrumeiro Chico
1917. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); two white flashes every 7 s. 8 m (26 ft) round solid stone tower with a lantern structure and gallery. Tower painted with red and black horizontal bands. A closeup photo is available, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a shoal in the entrance to Cabo Cée harbor, about 1.1 km (0.7 mi) southeast of the Cabo Cée lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de A Coruña. ARLHS SPA-025; ES-03940; Admiralty D1758; NGA 2676.
* Cabo Cée
1860. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); five white flashes every 13 s. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal cylindrical granite tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-story keeper's cottage. The lantern has been replaced by a modern solar-powered lamp. Tower unpainted; house painted white with unpainted stone trim. Trabas has a closeup photo showing the side of the house covered by graffiti. Since it was taken, the little lighthouse has been repainted and restored, as seen in the photo at right posted by the Concello de Corcubión (regional council). The council has a page for the lighthouse, Juan R. Fabeiro has a view from the sea, Juan Manuel Lado Castro has a photo of the light in action, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a closeup street view and a satellite view. Located at the end of the peninsula marking the west entrance to the Ría de Corcubión, about 8 km (5 mi) south of Cée. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de A Coruña. ARLHS SPA-011; ES-03930; Admiralty D1760; NGA 2668.
Cabo Cée Light
Cabo Cée Light, Corcubión, February 2006
Flickr photo by Concello de Corcubión
* Cabo Finisterre (Cabo Fisterra)
1853. Active; focal plane 143 m (469 ft); white flash every 5 s. 17 m (56 ft) octagonal cylindrical granite tower with lantern and gallery attached to the front of a 2-1/2 story keeper's house. Tower unpainted; lantern is silvery metallic; house painted white with unpainted stone trim. Fog siren (two blasts every 60 s). The 2-story fog signal building is operated as the Hotel O Semáforo. A photo appears at the top of this page, Trabas has a photo, Fran García has good photos, a closeup and another fine closeup are available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Michel Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. One of Spain's most famous lighthouses, standing at the end of a narrow, south-pointing promontory with a spectacular view of the Atlantic. Although Cabo Toriñana actually extends a little farther west, Cape Finisterre is the traditional "land's end" at the northwestern corner of Spain. The cape is the ending point of the Camiño de Santiago (the Way of St. James), a traditional route of pilgrimage that extends 90 km (56 mi) from the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. The lighthouse is the second most visited tourist destination in Galicia, after the Cathedral. The early history of the station is not known, but there are reports of lights displayed on the cape as early as 1673. Located at the end of the AC-445 highway about 3 km (2 mi) south of Fisterra. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de A Coruña. ARLHS SPA-026; ES-03900; Admiralty D1742;
* Cabo Toriñana (Cabo Touriñán) (1)
1898. Inactive since 1981. 8 m (26 ft) tower with lantern and gallery centered on the roof of a square 1-story keeper's house. Building painted with with unpainted stone trim; roof is gray. Arturo Nikolai's photo appears at right, Fran García has excellent closeup photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a closeup street view and a satellite view. This lighthouse stands on the westernmost point of Spain at 9°17.9' W, extending about 2.1 km (1.33 mi) farther west than Cabo Finisterre. Located on the point of the cape about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of Toriñana (Touriñán). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-330.
* Cabo Toriñana (Cabo Touriñán) (2)
1981 (station established 1898). Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); three white flashes in a 2+1 pattern every 15 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery, painted white. Arturo Nikolai's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, and Selva de Esmelle has a good photo. This is one of a series of modern lighthouses of a standard design built throughout Galicia beginning in the early 1970s. Located adjacent to the original lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de A Coruña. ARLHS SPA-049; ES-03880; Admiralty D1740; NGA 2660.
* Punta de la Barca (Muxía)
About 1926. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white light occulting once every 4 s. 11 m (36 ft) unpainted round concrete tower with double gallery. Trabas has a good closeup photo, Antonio Loeches also has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This light marks the southern entrance to the Ría de Camariñas. Located on a sharp cape at the end of the Calle de la Virxe de la Barca on the north side of Muxía. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Autoridad Portuaria de A Coruña. ARLHS SPA-210; ES-03810; Admiralty D1737; NGA 2656.
Faros de Cabo Touriñan
Cabo Touriñán Light, Muxía, June 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Arturo Nikolai
* Punta Laxe (Punta de Lago) (Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) round concrete tower, painted white. A photo and a second photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Michel Forand has a historic postcard view that shows the tower with its original lantern. This is the entrance range light for the Ría de Camariñas. Located on the east side of the bay, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northeast of Merexo. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS SPA-290; ES-03830; Admiralty D1738; NGA 2636.
* Punta Laxe (Punta de Lago) Range Rear
Date unknown. Inactive. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The light was deactivated when the directional light was installed on the front tower, but this tower continues to be maintained as a dayrange beacon. Located about 120 m (130 yd) east southeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ES-03831.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Northern Galicia | South: Northern Portugal

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 2, 2005. Checked and revised January 23, 2014. Lighthouses: 53. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.