Lighthouses of Northwestern Estonia

Estonia is a small country with a surprisingly long coastline. Surrounded on 2-1/2 sides by water, it faces the Gulf of Riga on the southwest, the Baltic Sea on the west, and the Gulf of Finland on the north. There are two large islands in the Baltic, Saaremaa and Hiiumaa, and countless small islands. To guard these coasts, Estonia has more than 100 lighthouses and a well-developed lighthouse administration. This page includes lighthouses of the northwest coast, including the counties of Läänemaa and Hiiumaa. Lighthouses of the Gulf of Finland coast are on the Northern Estonia and Eastern Estonia pages, and lighthouses of the Gulf of Riga are on the Southwestern Estonia page.

Estonia's independence is recent. The country was part of the Swedish Empire from 1625 to 1710, and then part of the Russian Empire from 1710 until the end of World War I in 1918. After two decades of independence, it was incorporated into the Soviet Union from 1940 to 1990. Thus the older lighthouses are from the Russian Imperial period, and some of the newer ones are of Soviet construction. An example from the imperial period appears at right: the Vormsi lighthouse, prefabricated in Lithuania in 1871.

Lighthouses in Estonia are operated by the Estonian Maritime Administration. In Estonian, a lighthouse is a tuletorn (fire tower), a tulepaak, or a majakas. A daybeacon is called a päevamärk.

Names in curly brackets {} are non-Estonian former names (Swedish or German).

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. EMA numbers are from the web site of the Estonian Maritime Administration. Admiralty numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
EMA Aids to Navigation Database
Official information from the Estonian Maritime Administration.
Eesti Tuletorni Selts
Web site of the Estonian Lighthouse Society (in Estonian).
Insulaar - Aids to Navigation
This web site includes photos and data for navigational aids throughout Estonia.
Online List of Lights - Estonia
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Estonian Lighthouses
A large portfolio of photos posted on Panoramio.com by Sven Vaarandi.
Lighthouses in Estonia
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Estonia
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Leuchttürme an der estländischen Ostseeküste
Photos of 8 Estonian lighthouses posted by Bernd Claußen.
Lighthouses Estonia
Photos by Joke Reijnen.
Six Remarkable Estonian Lighthouses
Information posted by Cybernetica AS, an Estonian manufacturer of aids to navigation.
Estonian Lighthouse Postcards
Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme...auf historischen Postkarten
This page, posted by Klaus Huelse, has 18 historic postcard views of Estonian lighthouses.

Tahkuna Light
Tahkuna Light, Hiiumaa, September 2009
Wikimedia public domain photo by Kalervo Kinnunen

Lighthouses of Hiiu County

Note: The large island of Hiiumaa lies north of Saaremaa and off the northwestern coast of the mainland. The island is accessible by ferry from Rohuküla on the mainland to Heltermaa on Hiiumaa. Historically, Hiiumaa was known as Dagö in both German and Swedish.
Käina Parish Lighthouses
*
Orjaku Range Front
1928. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); continuous red light. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery but no lantern, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Claußen has a photo, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Orjaku is a ferry terminal and yacht harbor on the island of Kassari, just off the southeast coast of Hiiumaa. Located just north of the ferry terminal. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-040; EMA 711; Admiralty C3644; NGA 12732.
* Orjaku Range Rear
1928. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); continuous red light. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery but no lantern, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Claußen has a photo, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located north of the ferry terminal, 800 m (1/2 mi) north of the front light (NGA's statement that the lights are 80 m apart is a typo). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-041; EMA 712; Admiralty C3644.1; NGA 12736.

Emmaste Parish Lighthouses
* Emmaste Range Front
1935. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); quick-flashing white light. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Claußen has photos, and Google has a satellite view. Emmaste is a village at the southernmost tip of Hiiumaa. Located just behind the Emmaste waterfront. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-021; EMA 691; Admiralty C3720; NGA 12700.
Emmaste Range Rear (2)
1947 (station established 1935). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 19 m (62 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower. The tower carries a square slatted daymark, painted red. Claußen has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located about 1 km (0.6 mi) east of the front light (previous entry). Site status unknown. EMA 692; Admiralty C3720.1; NGA 12704.
* Sõru (Tohvri) Range Front
1934. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); quick-flashing white light. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery red. Trabas has a closeup, Claußen has photos showing both range lighthouses, Google has a street view, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Sõru is a ferry port near the tip of Hiiumaa's southern peninsula; the range lights guide ferries arriving from Triigi, Saaremaa, across the Soela Väin (strait). Located just of the beach at Sõru about 12 km (7.5 mi) west of Emmaste. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-052; EMA 701; Admiralty C3721; NGA 12707.
* Sõru (Tohvri) Range Rear
1934. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); quick-flashing white light. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lower half of tower painted white; upper half, lantern and gallery painted red. Reijnen has a good photo, Trabas has a closeup, Claußen has photos showing both range lighthouses, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located 490 m (0.3 mi) northwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-053; EMA 702; Admiralty C3721.1; NGA 12708.
* Haldreka
1956. Inactive, but maintained as a daybeacon. 28 m (92 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted red. Most of the tower is covered by a slatted daymark; the upper half of the daymark is painted black and the lower half white. Vaarandi has a closeup, a more distant view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This beacon marks a shoal on the southwest coast of Hiiumaa. Located on a spit at Haldi, about 2 km (1.25 mi) northwest of Haldreka. Site open, tower closed. EMA 690.

Körgessaare Parish Lighthouses
Note: Körgessaare includes the narrow Kõpu (Dagerort) peninsula, which projects about 25 km (15 mi) into the Baltic Sea from the west end of Hiiumaa.
*** Kõpu {Dagö, Dager Ort, Dagerort}
1531. Active; focal plane 102 m (335 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 36 m (118 ft) massive square stone tower with four gigantic triangular buttresses, topped by a square brick extension, lantern, and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. A photo by Cyrus Farivar is at right, Claußen's page has good photos, EMA has a page for the lighthouse, Otto de Voogd has closeup photos, another good closeup is available, Trabas has a larger version of EMA's photo, Wikimedia has many photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Forand has an older postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Certainly one of the world's most imposing lighthouses and one of the oldest continuously operated light stations in the world. Construction began in 1507. Originally an open fire was kept atop the tower, which at first was only as tall as the top of the buttresses. The brick top section of the tower was built in 1659. The Russian government took over operation of the tower from local authorities in 1805 and added a lantern in 1845. The Sautter, Marlé & Co. Fresnel lens was purchased at the Paris Worlds Fair in 1900 and installed in 1901. The Soviet government repaired and restored the aging tower several times, and the upper section of the tower was restored in 2001. Today the old lighthouse is Hiiumaa's leading tourist attraction, featuring a spectacular view of the Baltic and the entrance to the Gulf of Finland. There is a visitor center with a café, and parking is provided. Located on highway 139 atop Tornimägi, the highest hill of the Kõpu (Dager Ort) peninsula, about 6 km (4 mi) east of the end of the peninsula at Ristna. Site open, tower open for a small fee. ARLHS EST-006; EMA 668; Admiralty C3746; NGA 12720.
Kõpu Light
Kõpu Light, Körgessaare, July 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Cyrus Farivar
* Ristna
1874. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, 3 s on, 12 s off; white light is shown to the west and red to the east. 30 m (98 ft) hexagonal tower, cast iron encased in concrete with six stout ribs, lantern, and gallery. Lighthouse painted bright red; lantern dome painted white. This lighthouse marks the westernmost point of Hiiumaa. Vaarandi's photo is at right, Tero Koski also has a good photo, Wikimedia has photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse, prefabricated in France, was a hexagonal skeletal tower with central cylinder; Forand has a postcard view showing the original form of the tower. The lighthouse was encased in concrete in 1920 after being damaged during World War I. Located at the end of the Kõpu (Dager Ort) peninsula near the village of Ristna. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen from nearby. ARLHS EST-049; EMA 673; Admiralty C3744; NGA 12716.
** Tahkuna {Tackerort}
1875. Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off, 3 s on, 6 s off. 43 m (141 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern dome is red. Kalervo Kinnunen's photo is at the top of this page, Otto de Voogd has a good photo, Reijnen has a photo, a fine 2007 photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Forand also has a historic photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the northernmost point of Hiiumaa, overlooking the mouth of the Gulf of Finland. It is a sibling of the Ristna lighthouse, both towers having been prefabricated in the same French factory in 1874. It is claimed locally that they were switched, with this taller tower intended originally for Ristna. There was heavy fighting here in 1941, when Russian forces made a last stand against invading German troops; fortunately the lighthouse survived. Located on Tahkuna Neem (Point) about 1.75 km (1.1 mi) northwest of the village of Tahkuna. Site open, tower open by arrangement with the caretaker. ARLHS EST-014; EMA 645; Admiralty C3754; NGA 12728.

Pühalepa Parish Lighthouses
* Hiiessaare (Hiiesaare)
1876. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 17 m (56 ft) square concrete tower with gallery but no lantern, mounted on a 1-story square stone base. Entire lighthouse painted white. Bing has a satellite view. Hiiessaare is a small village on the northeastern coast of Hiiumaa. This was formerly the front light of a range, but the rear light (next entry) has been discontinued. Located near the waterfront. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-076; EMA 625; Admiralty C3756; NGA 12730.
Ristna Light
Ristna Light, Ristna, July 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Svan Vaarandi
* Paluküla (Hiiessaare Range Rear)
Date unknown. Inactive since about 2001. Square cylindrical church steeple with a tall square pyramidal spire. Church painted white. The rear light of the Hiiesaare Range was formerly displayed from this steeple. The steeple is still listed as a daybeacon. A 2006 photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in Paluküla, about 3.5 km (2 mi) east of Kärdla and 2.8 km (1.75 mi) southwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-082; EMA 626; ex-Admiralty C3756.1.

Lighthouses of Lääne County


Hanila Parish Lighthouse
* Virtsu {Werder} (3)
1951 (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (59 ft) square concrete tower with gallery but no lantern, mounted on a square concrete block base. Upper half of the lighthouse painted red, lower half white. A photo is at right, Claußen's page has several photos, Wikimedia has Vaarandi's photo and Jaan Rebane's view from the sea, and Bing has a distant satellite view of the station. The original lighthouse, a cast iron tower of the same class as the Kihnu Light, was destroyed in World War I, and its replacement (1924), a round concrete tower, was destroyed in World War II. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the 1866 lighthouse. Virtsu, on the east (mainland) side of the Suur Väin, is the departure point for ferries to the island of Muhu and the larger island of Saaremaa beyond. Located on the western point of the Virtsu peninsula. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-062; EMA 780; Admiralty C3632; NGA 12520.

Lihula Parish Daybeacon
* [Saastna]
Date unknown. Daybeacon, never lit as far as we know. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) square skeletal tower, painted red. The front of the tower carries the remains of a slatted daymark, painted white. Vaarandi has a closeup photo, a second photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This appears to be an abandoned Soviet lighthouse, now maintained poorly as a daybeacon. Located on a promontory about 1.6 km (1 mi) west of Saastna. Site open, tower closed. EMA 748.

Ridala Parish Lighthouses
Rohuküla Range Rear (3?)
1953 (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 19 m (62 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted red. The tower carries a large slatted daymark, painted white with a black diamond shape at the top. Trabas has EMA's photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The front light is on a shorter skeletal tower. Located in a field on the east side of Rohuküla. Site status unknown. EMA 532; Admiralty C3653.1; NGA 12572.
* Paralepa Range Front (2)
1934 (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); quick-flashing white light visible only on the range line. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Vaarandi has a photo, Claußen's page has photos of both range lights, and Google has a satellite view. This range guides ships through Haapsalu Bay toward the port of Haapsalu. Located on the south side of the bay a short distance west of Haapsalu. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-043; EMA 471; Admiralty C3656; NGA 12600.
Virtsu Light
Virtsu Light, Virtsu
Estonian Maritime Administration photo
* Paralepa Range Rear (2)
1934 (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white light visible only on the range line, 2 s on, 2 s off. 31 m (102 ft) slender round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted mostly white, with the top 1/4 black and a single black band in the white section. Claußen's page has photos of both range lights, Vaarandi has a photo of the base of the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. This range guides ships through Haapsalu Bay toward the port of Haapsalu. Located on the south side of the bay a short distance west of Haapsalu and 800 m (1/2 mi) south southeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-042; EMA 472; Admiralty C3656.1; NGA 12604.

Hobulaid Lighthouses

Note: Hobulaid (called Hästholm in Swedish) is a small, uninhabited island located midway between the mainland of Ridala Parish and the southeastern tip of Vormsi. The narrow island is about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) long, extending north and south. For reasons unknown to us, Hobulaid is not part of Lääne County; it is administered by the municipality of Märjamaa of Rapla County in central Estonia.
Rukkirahu (Range Rear) (3)
1940 (station established 1860). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white or red depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. EMA's photo is at right, Claußen has a photo, a 2008 photo and a 2009 photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Sibling of the Pöörilaid lighthouse. This light marks a "crossroads" off Rohuküla; shipping between Ruhuküla and the islands of Hiiumaa and Vurmsi passes east and west while coastwise traffic passes north and south. The light also functions with the Hobulaid South light as the rear light of a southbound range. Located on a small island about 5 km (3 mi) west of Rohuküla. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed, but there is a view of the lighthouse from the Rohuküla to Hiiumaa ferry. ARLHS EST-073; EMA 482; Admiralty C3652.1; NGA 12588.1.
Hobulaid {Hästholm} South (Range Front) (2)
1934 (rebuilt in 2012; station established 1908). Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); flash every 2.5 s, white or red depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) round cylindrical metal tower with lantern mounted on a concrete base. Tower painted red, concrete base white. Wikimedia has Ivar Leidus's 2013 photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Claußen has a photo of the light before it was rebuilt. Located at the southern tip of the small island of Hobulaid, about 3.7 km (2.3 mi) north of the Rokkirahu lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS EST-066; EMA 481; Admiralty C3652; NGA 12588.
Hobulaid {Hästholm} North (Voosi Kurk Range Rear)
Date unknown (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 19 m (62 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted green. The tower also carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Vaarandi has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located near the northern end of the island of Hobulaid, 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of the front light. Accessible only by boat. EMA 466; Admiralty C3650.1; NGA 12612.
Uppholm (Voosi Kurk Range Front)
Date unknown (station established 1923). Active; focal plane 9.5 m (31 ft); quick-flashing white light. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower, painted red and mounted on a round concrete pier. The tower also carries a slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. A 2010 photo is available, Claußen has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. The range guides vessels southbound in the passage between Vormsi and the mainland. Located about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) east of Cape Uppholm, the southeastern tip of Vormsi. Accessible only by boat. EMA 465; Admiralty C3650; NGA 12608.
Rukkirahu Light
Rukkirahu Light
Estonian Maritime Administration photo

Vormsi Parish Lighthouses
Note: Vormsi is an island northeast of Hiiumaa, separated from the mainland by the Voosi strait. The island is accessible by ferry from Rohuküla on the mainland. The island was formerly called Wormsö in German and Ormsö in Swedish.
* Sviby Range Rear
1949. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white light occulting once every 6 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery and a boxlike lantern. Lighthouse painted red. The tower also carries a large slatted daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Claußen has a good page for the lighthouse, a closeup photo is available, Google has a distant satellite view, and Bing has a satellite view. This range guides vessels into the harbor of Sviby, on the southeastern coast of Vormsi. The front light is on a mast. Located on the waterfront, west of the ferry terminal in Sviby. Site open, tower closed. EMA 562; Admiralty C3655.1.
Harilaid (Harilaiu) Range Rear (3)
1940 (station established 1845). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. A 2007 photo is available, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view of a former lighthouse on this island. This is the rear light of a range leading north northwest through the strait between Hiiumaa and the smaller island of Vormsi. The front light is on a tall post. Located on the small island of Harilaid, off the west coast of Vormsi. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS EST-002; EMA 587; Admiralty C3758.51; NGA 12564.
* Vormsi (Saxby) {Wormsö, Ormsö} Range Front (2)
1871 (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft), white, red, or green light, depending on direction, 3 s on, 3 s off. 24 m (79 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. An EMA photo appears at right, Vaarandi has a 2011 photo, Claußen has a page with good photos, a 2008 photo is available, Otto de Voogd has photos taken in the winter of 2006, Klaus Huelse has a historic postcard photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse was prefabricated at Liepaja (then Libau) in Lithuania. It replaced an 1864 cast iron tower of English manufacture, which was relocated to Vaindloo in the Gulf of Finland after it was found to be too short to work effectively at this location. The lighthouse is the rear light for a northbound range and the front light for a southeastbound range. Located on Saxby Neem, the northwest point of Vormsi, about 2 km (1.2 mi) west of the town of Saxby. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-064; EMA 595; Admiralty C3758.
Vormsi North Range Rear
1957. Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 35 m (115 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. On the side facing the range the upper half of the tower has a slatted daymark painted white with a black horizontal band at the top. Vaarandi has a 2011 photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located 1 km (0.6 mi) south southeast of the Vormsi lighthouse (previous entry). Site status unknown. EMA 594; Admiralty C3757.9.
* Norrby Range Front (2)
1935 (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white light occulting once every 2 s, visible only on or close to the range line. 22 m (72 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Vaarandi has a 2011 photo, Claußen has a page with good photos, a 2007 photo is available, and Google has a very distant satellite view. This range guides ships through the narrow Voosi Väin (strait) east of Vormsi. Located on the northeast coast of Vormsi near Norrby. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-038; EMA 447; Admiralty C3659; NGA 12614.
Vormsi Light
Vormsi Light, Saxby
Estonian Maritime Administration photo
* Norrby Range Rear (2)
1935 (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white light occulting once every 2 s, visible only on or close to the range line. 32 m (105 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a 2-story octagonal base. Lantern and upper third of tower painted red, lower 2/3 of tower painted white. Claußen has a page with good photos, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the northeast coast of Vormsi near Norrby, 950 m (0.6 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-039; EMA 448; Admiralty C3659.1; NGA 12614.1.

Noarootsi Parish Lighthouses
* Paslepa {Ramsholm} Range Front (2)
1935 (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); quick-flashing red light visible only on or close to the range line. 10 m (32 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has EMA's photo, Vaarandi has a 2008 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the coast near the southern coast of Paslepa Bay. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-044; EMA 441; Admiralty C3659.5; NGA 12616.
* Paslepa {Ramsholm} Range Rear (2)
1935 (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red light occulting every 2 s, visible only on or close to the range line. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has EMA's photo, Vaarandi has a 2008 photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This range guides vessels entering Paslepa Bay. Located on the coast near the northwestern tip of the Paslepa peninsula, 500 m (0.3 mi) southwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-045; EMA 442; Admiralty C3659.51; NGA 12620.
* [Talisna {Telise} Dayrange Rear]
Date unknown. Daybeacon, never lit as far as we know. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) round conical rubblestone tower. A photo is available, and Vaarandi has a 2007 photo, but the tower is not seen clearly in Bing's satellite view. There is also a similar but much shorter front tower. Located on the coast near Kudani. Site open, tower closed.
[Riguldi]
1996. Inactive but listed as a daybeacon. 29 m (95 ft) square skeletal tower. All sides of the upper half of the tower are covered by a slatted daymark; depending on which side either the upper or lower half of the daymark is painted black and the rest white. Vaarandi has a fine 2007 photo, a second photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located near the village of Riguldi on Estonia's northwest coast. Site status unknown. EMA 435.
* Põõsaspea
Date unknown (station established 1923). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery. Three sides of the tower are covered by a slatted daymark, with the upper half painted red and the lower half white. A photo and a second photo are available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a sandy point at the extreme northwestern tip of the Estonian mainland. Site open, tower closed. EMA 420; Admiralty C3764; NGA 12752.
Osmussaar {Odensholm, Odinsholm} (5)
1954 (station established 1766). Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); two white flashes every 18 s. 35 m (115 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery, mounted on a 1-story square cement block base. Tower painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern, gallery and watch room painted black; base painted white. 1-story keeper's house and other buildings. Sergey Melkonov has a 2007 photo, Richard Simso has a photo, an aerial photo is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Osmussaar is a small island 7.5 km (4.7 mi) off the northwestern tip of the Estonian mainland in the mouth of the Gulf of Finland; the lighthouse here plays a critical role in guiding ships into the Gulf from the Baltic Sea. Until 1940 the island had a small Swedish-speaking population who called the island Odensholm. In 1941 this was the last place in Estonia to surrender to the Germans; the 1850 stone lighthouse (the third on the island) was destroyed in the fighting. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the old lighthouse. A temporary wooden tower (1946) was replaced by the present lighthouse. Today the island is uninhabited, although it is visited fairly regularly by ecotours from Haapsalu. Located at the northeastern tip of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EST-009; EMA 425; Admiralty C3760; NGA 12748.

Osmussaar Light
Estonian Maritime Administration photo

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  •  

Notable faux lighthouses:

  •  

Adjoining pages: East: Northern Estonia | South: Southwestern Estonia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted May 1, 2005. Checked and revised February 25, 2014. Lighthouses: 30. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.