Lighthouses of Southern Finland: Hamina to Porvoo

Finland has coastlines facing south on the Gulf of Finland and west on the Gulf of Bothnia, both arms of the Baltic Sea. Finland also administers the Åland Islands (Ahvenanmaa), an archipelago at the junction of the two gulfs. After centuries of rule by Sweden, Finland was conquered by Russia in 1809 and made an autonomous grand duchy within the Russian Empire. The country declared its independence from Russia in 1917, at the start of the Russian Revolution.

This page includes the lighthouses of the Kymenlaakso Region and the former Eastern Uusimaa Region (Eastern Uusimaa was merged into Uusimaa in 2011). This includes the Gulf of Finland coastline from the Russian border to the eastern suburbs of Helsinki.

Lighthouses in Finland are maintained by the Maritime Sector of the Finnish Transport Safety Agency (Trafi). The Finnish word for a lighthouse is majakka (plural majakat). Saari is an island, niemi is a cape or headland, and satama is a port or harbor. Swedish is a second official language in Finland, and some of the lighthouses are commonly known by their Swedish names.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - Finland
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Finnish Lighthouses
Excellent photos of the some of the better known lighthouses, posted to Flickr by Mikko Rauhala.
Latarnie Morskie - Bałtyk
This Polish langauge site by Gola Burkhard has photos of lighthouses in southwestern Finland and the Åland Islands.
Lighthouses in Finland
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Finland
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Finland
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Weitere Europäische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Finnish Lighthouse Society
The national lighthouse preservation association.

Söderskär Lighthouse
Söderskär Light, Gulf of Finland, September 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Miika Silfverberg

Kymenlaakso Lighthouses

Hamina Area Lighthouses
Parrio
Date unknown (station established 1938). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern, painted white. A closeup photo is available, and Bing has a distant satellite view. There were range lights here at least by the 1920s. Located on the southwest coast of Parrio, an island about 1 km (0.6 mi) northwest of the Russian border. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5468; NGA 13320.
Järviluoto Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 20 m (66 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a daymark painted white with a black vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. No photo available. The front light is on an 11 m (36 ft) skeletal tower. Located in the entrance to the fjord leading to Hailila, about 7 km (4.5 mi) southwest of Virolahti. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C5466.11; NGA 13324.1.
Lotouri
Date unknown (station established 1937). Active; focal plane 5.5 m (18 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern, painted white. A closeup photo is available, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view. Located on a tiny island about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Hamina. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5456; NGA 13352.
Kuorsalo Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) skeletal tower. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. Located in a forest near the center of the island of Kuorsalo. Site status unknown. Admiralty C5438.61; NGA 13390.
Houtere Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); yellow light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 24 m (79 ft) skeletal tower. No photo available, but Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a small island off the south coast of the island of Houtere. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5438.81; NGA 13396.
Vatinki Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); yellow light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 24 m (79 ft) skeletal tower. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. NGA misspells the name as Vatiniki. Located on Arholma, a small island about 6 km (3.5 mi) southwest of Houtere. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5438.41; NGA 13399.8.
Suntholma (Suntholmit, Sunholma)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); five quick white flashes every 6 s. 14 m (46 ft) square stone cairn, painted white with a red horizontal band. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. Located on the southern point of the island of Suntholmit, about 25 km (15 mi) south of Hamina. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5438.58; NGA 13402.
* Majakkalaiva (Lightship) Hyöky (Helsinki, Libauskiy)
1912. Inactive as a lightship since 1959. 42.5 m (140 ft) steel lightship; the light was shown from a mast on the pilothouse. Hull and mast painted red, superstructure buff and white. A photo is at right, Iris Klempau has a page for the ship, Wikipedia has a closeup photo by Kari Jokinen, and a good 2008 photo is available. The ship was built for the Russian Navy by the Putilov shipyard in St. Petersburg. Its first assignment was as the Libauskijoff Libau (now Liepaja) in Latvia. Captured as a war prize by Finland following World War I, the ship served the Relandersgrund and Äransgrund stations and then the Helsinki station from 1933 to 1959. In 1961 it was renamed Hyöky and converted to a hydrographic support ship. Retired in 1983, it was restored as a floating restaurant and museum. In 2012 it was for sale at auction, and in 2013 it was in Hamina seeking a new restaurant manager. Moored at Tervasaari, in the harbor of Hamina. Site and vessel open. Site manager: S.S. Hyöky . ARLHS FIN-027.
Keskihallinkari
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); one long white flash every 6 s. Approx. 17 m (56 ft) steel tower, painted white with a red horizontal band. No photo available, and Google has only a very distant satellite view. Located on a rocky shoal about 20 km (13 mi) southeast of Kotka. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5414.3; NGA 13414.
Märäkari (Merikari)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); five very quick red flashes every 6 s. 10 m (33 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a large black daymark. A photo is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a rocky shoal about 16 km (10 mi) southeast of Kotka. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5408; NGA 13542.

Lightship Hyöky (Helsinki) at Helsinki harbor, May 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by hugovk

Kotka Area Lighthouses
Rankki
Date unknown (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted black. Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a skerry off the southeastern tip of Rankki, about 3 km (2 mi) west of the island of Kirkonmaa and 8 km (5 mi) southeast of Kotka. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5386; NGA 13564.
Lehmä (Viikari Range Rear)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a rectangular daymark painted red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a distant photo, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on Lehmäsaari, an island southeast of Kotka. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C5356.1; NGA 13696.
Lehmäsaari Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 33 m (180 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a rectangular daymark painted red with a white vertical stripe. Trabas has a distant photo, and the shadow of the tower appears in Bing's satellite view. Located near the north end of Lehmäsaari, on the east side of the entrance to Kotka. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5394.41; NGA 13600.
Fort Slava (Kukouri Range Rear and Lehmasaari Range Front)
Date unknown. Active, with two range lights: Kukouri focal plane 18 m (56 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off; Lehmasaari focal plane 14 m (46 ft), quick-flashing white light. 18 m (56 ft) triangular skeletal mast carrying rectangular daymarks for each range, both daymarks painted red with a white vertical stripe. A closeup photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Built by Russia in 1792 on a tiny islet in Kotka harbor, Fort Slava was blown up by British forces in 1855 during the Crimean War. Thr ruins are preserved as a national monument. Located just off the south side of the islet. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Kukouri Range Rear: Admiralty C5383.1; NGA 13571.1; Lehmasaari Range Front Admiralty C5394.4; NGA 13596.
Pirköyri (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) square wood tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern orange. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located off the southwestern shore of Pirköyri island, opposite the Kotka waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5394; NGA 13604.
Majakkalaiva (Lightship) Kemi
1901 (Pori Engine Shop). Decommissioned 1974. 30 m (98 ft) steel lightship. The light was shown from a lantern atop a light tower in the aft portion of the ship. Vessel painted red. Illka T. Korhonen has a photo, Esko Kurvinen has a closeup photo. Built as the Ärensgrund, the ship served that station until 1921, when it was shifted to Relandersgrund. From 1933 to 1953 the ship was the Rauma. After refurbushment, she finally served the Kemi station from 1956 to 1974. In 1989 the Kemi was donated to the Maritime Museum of Finland (Museovirasto) on the island of Hylkysaari in Helsinki. The museum has a page for the lightship (text in Finnish), and Ilkka Korhonen has a photo of the ship tied up at the museum, and Bing has a satellite view that probably shows the ship. From 2004 to 2007 the ship was at the Suomenlinna shipyard for restoration; in 2008 it was towed to the museum's new site in Kotka where restoration continued. The ship reopened to visitors in 2010. Site open, vessel open. Owner/site manager: Maritime Centre Vellamo. ARLHS FIN-104.
Öljysatama (Oil Harbor) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. Skeletal mast atop a tall industrial building, carrying a rectangular daymark painted yellow with a red vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the southwestern waterfront of Kotka. Site status unknown. Admiralty C5393.1; NGA 13676.
Kotka
1990. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); four white flashes every 30 s. 23 m (75 ft) steel column supporting a hexagonal equipment structure and a helipad. Lighthouse painted with blue and yellow horizontal bands. Marinas.com has aerial photos. Located on a shoal in the Gulf of Finland about 25 km (15 mi) southwest of Kotka. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-022; Admiralty C5380; NGA 13560.
* Kaunissaari
Date unknown (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Ari Rotonen's photo is at right, a second photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the northern tip of the island of Kaunissaari, about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of Kotka. The island is accessible by ferry from Kotka. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5368; NGA 13688.
Lålätta
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower with lantern, painted black. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on an islet about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Söderby. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5349; NGA 13780.
Ljusaklack
Date unknown (station established 1932). Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); light characteristic unknown. 6 m (20 ft) lantern mounted on a tapered square white concrete pier. Lantern painted red. Marika Arvonen has a photo, a distant view is available, Trabas also has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on skerry off Furafladen. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5352.

Kaunisaari Light, Kotka, July 2005
Flickr photo
copyright Ari Rotonen; used by permission

Eastern Uusimaa Lighthouses

Loviisa Area Lighthouses
Orrengrund (3)
1858 (station established 1760s). Inactive since 1957. Approx. 22 m (72 ft) square masonry tower topped by an octagonal concrete observation room. Tower painted white, observation room red. A photo is at right, a 2010 photo and another photo are available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Orrengrund is an island about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Söderby and 18 km (12 mi) southeast of Loviisa. The original beacon was replaced by a lighthouse in 1838, but that building collapsed after only 20 years. The upper section, originally wood, was replaced by concrete in the 1920s. Apparently the tower is now part of a coast guard station. Located near the ferry terminal on the north (?) side of the island. Site status unknown.
Orrengrund (4)
1957 (station established 1760s). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 1 s off. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Tower painted white with a black band at the base, lantern painted black. Located at the west end of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C5322.
Tainio (2)
1966 (station established 1956). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); five very quick white flashes every 6 s. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower. Upper 2/3 of the tower painted black, lower 1/3 white. The original light was destroyed by a winter storm in 1964. Located on a shoal about 16 km (10 mi) southeast of Loviisa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-064; Admiralty C5321; NGA 13824.
Skarven
Date unknown (station established 1933). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) lantern mounted on a tapered square white concrete pier. Lantern painted black. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a reef about 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Bastö. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.Admiralty C5328; NGA 13828.

Porvoo Area Lighthouses
Pellinki (Glosholm)
1832. Inactive since 1862. A small photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Stone ruins about 9 m (30 ft) high remain of this historic lighthouse. It was deactivated when the Söderskär lighthouse was inaugurated. Located on the island of Glosholm about 1.6 km (1 mi) southwest of Söderby and 3 km (2 mi) southwest of Pellinki. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-083.
Orrengrund Tower
Orrengrund Tower, Gulf of Finland, 2009
Museiverket (Finnish National Antiquities Board) photo
Tiiskeri
1933. Active; focal plane 16.5 m (54 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and two galleries. Tower painted black; lantern and galleries painted orange. Between the galleries is an opening that formerly held a fog bell. A 2007 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a small island about 20 km (13 mi) south of Loviisa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-068; Admiralty C5318; NGA 13936.
Kalbådagrund
1953. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); four long (2 s) white flashes every 30 s. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, incorporating keeper's quarters, with lantern, three galleries, and a helipad on top. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Esko Paunonen has an excellent photo, and Erkki Haapomaa has a winter photo. The design of the lighthouse is similar to that of several Swedish Baltic Sea lighthouses. The lighthouse replaced a lightship station, and the lightship survives as a dockside restaurant in Vaasa (see Western Finland). Located on a dangerous shoal near the centerline of the Gulf of Finland, 12 km (7.5 mi) from shore and about 25 km (15 mi) south of Porvoo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-013; Admiralty C5239; NGA 14084.
Brunskär Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white ot yellow light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 4 s off. Approx. 21 m (69 ft) skeletal tower carrying a rectangular daymark painted red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a very distant view, but Bing has only a fuzzy satellite view of the location. Located on a skerry about 30 km (19 mi) south of Porvoo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5240.1; NGA 14116.
Kölhällen
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10.5 m (34 ft); three flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) concrete tower, painted black with a white horizontal band. No photo available, and Google has only a fuzzy satellite view. Located on an isolated skerry well off Porvoo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5240.4; NGA 14096.
Porvoo (Borgå) (Range Front)
1976. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, 1 s on, 1 s off. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted red with one black horizontal band. A winter photo is available, but Google's satellite view does not show the lighthouse. The light functions as the front light of a long range; the rear light is on Larsskär some 5.5 km (3.4 mi) to the north. Located on a shoal about 3 km (2 mi) north of the Kalbådagrund lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-044; Admiralty C5239.4; NGA 14088.
Larsskär (Range Rear)
1976(?). Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); white light, 2 s on 6 s off. 32 m (105 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a large rectangular daymark; daymark painted red with a yellow vertical stripe. A photo is available, Trabas has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse carries a rectangular daymark, painted red with a yellow vertical stripe. Located on a small island 5.5 km (3.4 mi) north of the Porvoo lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5239.41; NGA 14092.
Gråskär (Range Rear)
Date unknown (station established 1911). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 10 m (33 ft) skeletal mast atop a square rubblestone tower. Tower painted white; the mast carries a daymark painted red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a small island about 6 km (3.6 mi) east of the front light (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5227.1; NGA 14228.
Tallörn (Range Front)
Date unknown (station established 1911). Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); two quick flashes every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) square rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The tower carries a daymark painted red with a yellow vertical stripe. Heikki Lappalainen has a photo, Trabas has a photo, K. Sundvall has a view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island about 5 km (3 mi) south of Kalkkiranta. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C5227; NGA 14224.
Söderskär
1862. Inactive since 1989. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) octagonal tower with lantern; the lowest stage of the tower is stone and the remainder is brick. The lighthouse is a light brown color; lantern painted black. Two 1-1/2 story wood keeper's houses. Miika Silfverberg's photo appears at the top of this page, Tero Koski has a nice photo of the station, another photo is available, there's a historic photo taken in 1890, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This historic lighthouse is located on a small island in the Gulf of Finland about 12 km (7.5 mi) south of Kalkstrand. Unlit beacons were placed here in the 1700s. Accessible only by boat. Accommodations are available in the lighthouse between mid May and mid September. The island is an important bird nesting site, and landing private boats requires a permit. Site generally closed to the public; tours are available from Helsinki three times a week during the summer. Site manager: Söderskär Majakka. ARLHS FIN-057.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Finland Lakes | East: Vyborg Area | West: Uusimaa

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 17, 2007. Checked and revised July 3, 2015. Lighthouses: 33. Lightships: 2. Site copyright 2015 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.