Lighthouses of Western Finland

Finland has coastlines facing south on the Gulf of Finland and west on the Gulf of Bothnia, both arms of the Baltic Sea. Finland also administers the Åland Islands (Ahvenanmaa), an archipelago at the junction of the two gulfs. After centuries of rule by Sweden, Finland was conquered by Russia in 1809 and became an autonomous grand duchy within the Russian Empire. The country declared its independence from Russia in 1917, at the start of the Russian Revolution.

This page includes the lighthouses of the Gulf of Bothnia in the former province of Western Finland (Länsi-Suomi). There are separate pages for Northern Finland, Southern Finland and for the Åland Islands.

Lighthouses in Finland are maintained by the Maritime Sector of the Finnish Transport Safety Agency (Trafi). The Finnish word for a lighthouse is majakka (plural majakat). Swedish is a second official language in Finland, and some of the lighthouses are commonly known by their Swedish names.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - Finland
Photos by various photographers posted by Alex Trabas.
Finnish Lighthouses
Excellent photos of the some of the better known lighthouses, taken by Mikko Rauhala.
Lighthouses in Finland
Photos available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Finland
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Galleria Majakat
Photos posted by Kimmo Koivunen.
Lighthouses in Finland
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Weitere Europäische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Finnish Lighthouse Society
The national lighthouse preservation association.

Isokari Light
Isokari Light, Uusi, 2012
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Grigory Schmerling

Bothnian Sea Lighthouses

Note: The Bothnian Sea (known as Selkämeri in Finnish and Bottenhavet in Swedish) is the southern portion of the Gulf of Bothnia. It is the widest and deepest portion of the gulf, occupying an elliptical basin about 300 km (185 mi) wide and 400 km (250 mi) long.
Uusi and Rauma Area Lighthouses
Keskikallio
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); four flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Upper half of the tower painted black, lower half white; lantern painted yellow. Grigory Schmerling's view from the sea is at left, another photo is available (lower right of the four lighthouses depicted), and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Keskikallio (Central Rock) an islet about 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Isokari. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-079; Admiralty C4453; NGA 16972.
*** Isokari (Kustavi) (2)
1833 (Gustaf Brodd). Active; focal plane 29 m (161 ft); continuous white light with a long (2.3 s), more intense flash every 20 s. 37 m (121 ft) round old-style masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Fresnel lens in use. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Keeper's house and other light station buildings are preserved, and the pilot station for Uusi is nearby. Grigory Schmerling's photo is at the top of this page, Mikko Rauhala has a photo, another closeup is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Finnish Wikipedia has an article with a good photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This historic lighthouse is the one of oldest of the Gulf of Bothnia. It has a classic Russian Imperial design and is said to have been patterned after the well-known Tolbukhin lighthouse on the appraoch to St. Petersburg (although the two lighthouses differ in many details). Isokari is an island about 20 km (13 mi) west of Uusi and is accessible by ferry from that port. Located on the highest point of the island, accessible by a short hike from the ferry terminal. Site open, and apparently the tower is also open during the summer season. ARLHS FIN-010; Admiralty C4450; NGA 16968.
Keskikallio Light
Keskikallio Light, Uusi, 2012
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Grigory Schmerling
Sandbäck
1963. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern, double gallery, and a helipad on top. Lighthouse painted orange with a white horizontal band. Located on a shoal about 13 km (8 mi) northwest of Isokari island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-054; Admiralty C4450.4; NGA 16952.
Hylkkari
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); two quick flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) round concrete tower, painted red with a white horizontal band. No photo available, and the light has not been found in Bing's wintry satellite view of the location. Located on an island about 7 km (4.5 mi) west northwest of Kammela. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C4445; NGA 17248.
Kajakulma (Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); flash every 2 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower, painted white with a red band at the top. No photo available, but the shadow of the light appears Bing's wintry satellite view. The tower also carries the rear light of the Kajaniemi range (same focal plane, white light, 2 s on, 4 s off), together with a daymark panel painted red with a yellow vertical stripe. Located on a reef off the north coast of Kajakulma, an island about 4 km (2.5 mi) north of Hyllkari. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C4440; NGA 17252. Kajaniemi Rear Light: Admiralty C4444.1; NGA 17257.1.
Rauma
1981. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern, double gallery, and a helipad on top. Lighthouse painted red. Grigory Schmerling has a photo, Niko Haapanen has a nice photo of the lighthouse in silhouette, and Trabas has a distant view. Located on a shoal about 16 km (10 mi) due west of Rauma. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-046; Admiralty C4417; NGA 17268.
[Santkari Beacon]
1857. Unlit beacon. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) octagonal wood tower with a pyramidal roof. Tower painted red with white trim. Timo Otamo has a 2012 photo, Niko Haapanen also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The Town of Rauma restored this historic tower in 2009. Located on a small island at the start of the southern approach to Rauma. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
Rihtniemi Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light, 6 s on, 6 s off. 23 m (75 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a large daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and the shadow of the tower is seen in a Google satellite view. This is an approach range for Rauma. The front light is on a much shorter square skeletal tower. Located at the end of a mainland peninsula about 13 km (8 mi) southwest of the Rauma waterfront. Site status unknown. Admiralty C4418.1; NGA 17276.
Pajukari Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a large daymark colored white with a red vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and the shadow of the tower is seen in a Google satellite view. This range guides vessels approaching Rauma from the north. The front light is on a much shorter triangular skeletal tower. Located on the south side of Pajukari, an island off the Rauma waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4437.01; NGA 17358.1.
*** Kylmäpihlaja
1953. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); four white flashes every 45 s. 32 m (105 ft) square cylindrical brick tower, originally incorporating keeper's quarters, attached to a large 2-story coast guard building. A photo is at right, Carlos Raposo has an August 2007 photo, Trabas has an excellent photo, Juho Ruohola has a wider view, Wikimedia has several photos, and Google has a satellite view. This large lighthouse was leased or sold in 2002, and it has been converted into a hotel and restaurant operated by Suvi and Tom Lindqvist. Located on an island about 10 km (6 mi) west of Rauma; accessible during the summer months by daily passenger ferry service from Rauma. Site open; hotel, restaurant, and tower open daily early June through late August. Site manager: Kylmäpihlajan Majakkahotelli. ARLHS FIN-024; Admiralty C4421; NGA 17328.
Kylmäpihlaja Light
Kylmäpihlaja Light, Rauma, July 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Leo-setä

Pori Area Lighthouses
Säppi (Björneborg)
1873. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); two white flashes, followed 12.7 s later by a single white flash, every 30 s. 31 m round two-stage white tower with lantern and gallery, the lower third cylindrical and the upper 2/3 conical. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is red. 1-story wood keeper's house, wood barn, and other buildings, painted red. A photo and a closeup are available, Wikimedia has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Säppi is an island about 1.5 km (1 mi) long, located about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of Mäntyluoto. Located on the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-055; Admiralty C4398; NGA 17448.
* Kallo (Range Front)
1884. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 1 s on, 1 s off. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal cast iron tower with eight ribs, lantern and double gallery, attached to a 1-story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, house red with white trim. A photo is at right, Leo Rantala has a 2011 photo, another fine 2011 photo is available, Trabas has a photo, Marko Helenius has a closeup, Wikimedia has numerous photos, and Google has a satellite view. The rear light, known as Uniluoto, is on a skeletal tower. This attractive and historic lighthouse guides vessels into the port of Mäntyluoto, northwest of Pori. Located on the peninsula sheltering the west side of the harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-015; Admiralty C4376; NGA 17456.
* Kallo-Tiepenger Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 27 m (89 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a large daymark colored white with a red vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view and a street view. The front light is on a much shorter tower. Located beside highway 269 on a causeway section of the crossing from Mäntyluoto to Reposaari. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4384.1; NGA 17500.
* Reposaari (Commercial Harbor Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); continuous red light. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a red horizontal band just below the gallery. Trabas has a closeup photo, another closeup photo is available, also a second photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Reposaari and Mäntyluoto are separated by their common harbor entrance. Located on the waterfront of Reposaari. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4394; NGA 17484.
Kallo Light
Kallo Light, Mäntyluoto, 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by kallerna
Kaijakari
1933. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. Approx. 16 m (52 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white; the upper half of the tower is covered on all sides by a vertically slatted brown daymark. A good photo is available, Trabas has a distant view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Kaija, a small island about 3 km (2 mi) west of Reposaari. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-012; Admiralty C4374; NGA 17452.
Leppäkari Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a large daymark colored white with a red vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The front light is on a short skeletal tower atop a concrete pedestal. Located at an industrial complex about 10 km (6 mi) north of Reposaari. Site status unknown. Admiralty C4370.1.
Pori
1985. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 12 s. 18 m (59 ft) concrete post light with a round equipment shelter and gallery, plus a second gallery at the top. Lower half of the lighthouse painted yellow, upper half black. Timo Heikkinen has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a shoal in the Gulf of Bothnia about 12 km (7.5 mi) northwest of Reposaari. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-041; Admiralty C4365; NGA 17534.

Kristinestad (Kristiina) and Kaskinen Area Lighthouses
** Yttergrund
1892. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); three long (2.5 s) white flashes every 30 s. 41 m (134 ft) round tapered cast iron tower with lantern and triple gallery. The lantern and upper third of the tower are painted red, the lower 2/3 white. 1-story wood keeper's house and other buildings. A photo is at right, Rauli Rautavuori has a closeup photo, another closeup is available, there is also a Swedish-language web site for the lighthouse with numerous photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a distant satellite view. This historic tower, Finland's second tallest lighthouse, was prefabricated by the Helsinki firm of Kone & Siltarakennus. Located on the island of Södra Yttergrund, at the south side of the entrance to Fladen. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower usually closed but several open house dates are offered during the summer. ARLHS FIN-077; Admiralty C4348; NGA 17616.
Kristiina (Kristinestad, Kristiinkaupunki)
1991. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 24 m (79 ft) steel and concrete post light with a conical equipment shelter near the bottom and a helipad on top. Upper half of the tower painted black, lower half white. Bing has a satellite view. Located on a shoal about 12 km (7.5 mi) southwest of Kristinestad, a predominantly Swedish-speaking port also known by its Finnish name Kristiina or Kristiinankaupunki (Kristiina Township). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-023; Admiralty C4328.2; NGA 17663.
Yttergrund Light
Yttergrund Light, Fladen
Finnish Maritime Adminstration photo
Härkmeri (Kristinestad) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); quick-flashing white light. Octagonal lantern, painted white, shining its light through a large rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the island of Torngrund, about 6 km (3.5 mi) south southwest of Kristinestad. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS FIN-101; Admiralty C4330; NGA 17648.
Härkmeri (Kristinestad) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. Square masonry tower, painted white; the seaward face carries a red rectangular daymark with a yellow vertical stripe on the range line. Trabas has a photo, and the lighthouse is seen in Google's satellite view. Located on the Hansnäs promontory about 5 km (3 mi) south of Kristinestad. Site status unknown. ARLHS FIN-128; Admiralty C4330.1; NGA 17652.
Björnö (Båtskär) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) triangular cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a red rectangular daymark with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the south side of Björnö, an industrial harbor southwest of Kristinestad. Site status unknown. Admiralty C4328.1; NGA 17684.
Gåsberget
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9.5 m (31 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) octagonal lantern, painted white, on a concrete base. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the south end of Gåsgrund, an island about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) offshore west of Kristinestad. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4326; NGA 17704.
Storremmargrund
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); continuous white light. 7 m (23 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white one red horizontal band. The lighthouse is seen at the right of Trabas's photo of C4321, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a rocky reef in the entrance to the harbor of Kaskinen, roughly 500 m (1/4 mi) east southeast of the Sälgrund lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4321.5; NGA 17720.
* Sälgrund (Kaskö)
1875. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); one very long (3.2 s) white flash every 30 s. 25 m (82 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo is at right, Rolf Sara has a photo of the station, a 2010 photo and an aerial photo is available, Trabas has a view of the lantern, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic (ca. 1902) postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. Adjacent to the light station is the former pilot station for Kaskinen, deactivated in 1986. The town is restoring the pilot station buildings as a tourist attraction. Located at the southwestern tip of the island of Sälgrund, about 4 km (2.5 mi) southwest of Kaskinen. Passenger ferry service is available in the summer from Kaskinen. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-051; Admiralty C4318; NGA 17708.
Sälgrund Light
Sälgrund Light, Kaskinen, August 2009
Panoramio photo copyright Mr. Fin; permission requested

Merenkurkku (Norra Kvarken) Lighthouses

Note: This region of the Gulf is known in Finnish as Merenkurkku ("sea throat") and in Swedish as Norra Kvarken ("north throat") because it is a narrow section connecting two wider sections, the Bothnian Sea (Selkämeri or Bottenhavet) to the south and the Bothnian Bay (Perämeri or Bottenviken) to the north.
Norrskär Area Lighthouses
Note: The lighthouses in this group are located far offshore, near the centerline of the Gulf of Bothnia west of Vaasa.
Strömmingsbåden
1885. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); four long (2 s) flashes every 20 s, white or red depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern and top of the tower painted red, lower part of the tower white. 1-story wood keeper's house, painted red. Tero Koski has a closeup and a view of the station, another 2008 photo and an aerial photo are available, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Ferries crossing the gulf between Vaasa and Sundsvall, Sweden, probably pass close to this remote lighthouse. Located on the small island of Norra Kallan, about 45 km (28 mi) west southwest of Vaasa. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS FIN-059; Admiralty C4294; NGA 17820.
Veckargrund
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white. The NGA list says the east side of the tower is painted red, but the aerial photos of Marinas.com do not show this. Instead, they show a rectangular daymark panel, painted red with a yellow vertical stripe, standing about 14 m (46 ft) from the tower. Clouds block Google's satellite view. Located on a skerry about 35 km (22 mi) west of Vaasa. Accessible only by boat; there is probably a view from ferries sailing across the gulf between Vaasa and Sundsvall, Sweden. Site status unknown. Admiralty C4259; NGA 17964.
Norrskär (Quarken)
1848. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white light, 6 s on, 21 s off, 3 s on, 6 s off, 3 s on, 21 s off. 21 m (69 ft) octagonal old-style stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted black with one white horizontal band. Several 1-story wood keeper's houses and other light station buildings. Christine and Hagen Graf's photo is at right, Tommy Lahti has a closeup photo, Tero Koski has a 2008 closeup, and Marinas.com has aerial photos, but the island is only a blur in Google's satellite view. This was the last Finnish lighthouse to be automated, in 1987. The lighthouse is built on the island of Västra Norrskär in the center of the Gulf of Bothnia, about 50 km (35 mi) west of Vaasa. Located on a low hill on the southwestern peninsula of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-033; Admiralty C4250; NGA 17912.
Norrkallan
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. Round concrete tower, painted red. No photo available. Located on the northwestern tip of Västra Norrskär. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-082; Admiralty C4251; NGA 17916.
Lotsgrund
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); quick-flashing white light. 12.5 m (41 ft) stone tower. Upper half painted black, lower half yellow. Located on a shoal about 13 km (8 mi) southeast of the Norrskär lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. NGA 17912.5.
Östra Norrskär
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); four flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8.5 m (28 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted black, lantern white. Pertti Malinen has a photo, and Marinas.com has aerial photos, but the island is only a blur in Google's satellite view. Located on the northeastern tip of the island of Östra Norrskär, about 7 km (4.5 mi) east northeast of the Norrskär lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4252; NGA 17908.
Utgrynnan
1960. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 3 s on, 9 s off. Approx. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. A 2010 photo is available, Tero Koski has an excellent photo and a view from the sea, Trabas has a very distant view, and Marinas.com has aerial photos. The lighthouse replaced a lightship station established in 1868. Located on a small island about 20 km (13 mi) north northeast of Norrskär. Ferries crossing the gulf between Vaasa and Umeå, Sweden, probably pass close to this lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-072; Admiralty C4248; NGA 18172.
Norrskär Light
Norrskär Light, Kvarken, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Christine and Hagen Graf

Vaasa Archipelago Lighthouses
Note: The Vaasa Archipelago, including the large islands of Replot and Björkö, lies in the Gulf of Bothnia west of Vaasa. There are two approach channels to the port of Vaasa, one north of the islands and one to the south.
Svettgrund
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. Approx. 12.5 m (41 ft) square pyramidal skeletal daybeacon carrying a large, diamond-shaped wood daymark painted deep red. The light is mounted about halfway up one of the legs of the structure. A closeup photo is available, and Hans Hästbacka has another closeup, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a skerry about 2 km (1.25 mi) off the northwest coast of Halsön. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4302; NGA 17804.
Norra Gloppsten
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); flash every 2 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 15 m (49 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery; the lantern has been raised on four pillars to increase the height of the light. Lighthouse painted white with a red horizontal band. A winter view is available, Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Located on a skerry about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of Replot on the southern approach to Vaasa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4262; NGA 18076.
Norrhästen (Norra Hästen)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); red flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted orange-red. Teemu Vehkoaja's photo is at right, a Vaasa kayaking club has a closeup, Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Located north of Gloppet on the route of ferries between Vaasa and Umeå, Sweden. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4275.5; NGA 18036.
Korsö
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. Approx. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Upper half of the lighthouse painted black, lower half white. Stefan Kuni has a closeup photo, a winter view is available, Trabas has a view, and a very distant Google satellite view may show the lighthouse. Located on the southeast side of Korsö, an island just off the southwest coast of Replot. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4236; NGA 18080.
Vaasa
1981. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical tower with a large lantern structure and a gallery on top of the lantern. Tower painted white, lantern red. Trabas has Capt. Theo Hinrichs's photo, and Juuso Lahdenmaa also has a photo. Located on a shoal about 7 km (4.5 mi) west southwest of Replot, marking the start of the southern approach to Vaasa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-075; Admiralty C4261; NGA 17928.
Norrhästen Light
Norrhästen Light, Valassaaret, July 2009
photo copyright Teemu Vehkaoja; used by permission
Valassaaret (Valsörarna)
1886. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 36 m (118 ft) hexagonal cast iron tower with lantern, central cylinder, and triple gallery. Entire structure painted red. The original 1st order Fresnel lens, removed in the 1980s, is on display at the Vaasan Merimuseo (maritime museum) in Vaasa. Kristian Lindqvist's photo is at right, Bertil Berg also has a closeup photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. This wonderful lighthouse was designed in Paris by Henry Lepaute, then working for the firm of Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel. It is unusually slender for its type, and guy wires have been added to steady it in the northern winds. Located on the island of Storskär, about 6 km (3.5 mi) northwest of Panike. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-076; Admiralty C4226; NGA 18148.
Ritgrund
1863 (substantially rebuilt in 1945). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 18 m (59 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower (rebuilt with a steel skeletal frame) with lantern and gallery. Entire structure painted red. 2-story wood keeper's house and other buildings. Tero Koski has a fine photo, Chris Hart has a good photo, Pirkko Salmo has a photo of the entire light station, Trabas has a distant view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Located on a small island about 6 km (3.5 mi) northeast of Björkö, marking the start of the northern approach to Vaasa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-048; Admiralty C4224; NGA 17824.
Stigelskär Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 30 m (98 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a large daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. This range guides vessels leaving Vaasa northbound. Located on an island about 13 km (8 mi) northwest of Vaasa. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4264.51; NGA 17888.

Vaasa Lightship
** Lightship Kalbådagrund (Ärensgrund)
1891. Decommissioned 1953. 29 m (95 ft) iron lightship, painted black with white trim. The former light tower has been removed, and the ship is rigged with a foremast and mainmast and a cabin at the stern. Samuli Vitasalo has a 2009 photo, a black-and-white 2011 photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. This ship served until 1931 on the Ärensgrund station, and then another two decades at Kalbådagrund southeast of Helsinki. After being replaced there by a lighthouse, it was sold as a cargo ship, named Arle, that was used to transport sand. Rescued from that duty around 1980, it was converted to a restaurant called Faros. Located on the waterfront in downtown Vaasa. Site and restaurant open. Owner/site manager: Faros Restaurant. ARLHS FIN-103.
Valassaaret Light
Valassaaret Light, August 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Kristian Lindqvist

Jakobstad and Kokkola Area Lighthouses
Stubben
1954. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); three long (2.5 s) white flashes every 30 s. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) lantern and gallery mounted atop a 4-story pilot station building. Upper half of the building painted black, lower half white: lantern and gallery painted white. T. Syri has a closeup photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Trabas has a very distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a small island about 3 km (2 mi) off the mainland and about 16 km (10 mi) west of Nykarleby. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-060; Admiralty C4219; NGA 18176.
[Hällgrund (1)]
Date unknown. Unlit daybeacon. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with a pyramidal roof. Lower 2/3 of the tower painted red, upper third white, roof black. An excellent photo is available, Gunilla Tammenmaa has a photo, the tower is in the background of Trabas's photo of the minor light C4217, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a low island off the north end of Torsön, about 5 km (3 mi) west of Pörkenäs. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
Hällgrund (3) (Pentzinsgrund)
1903 (station established 1883). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. A photo is available, Trabas has a very distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. This light is at the north end of the same island as the historic Hällgrund beacon (previous entry). Located on a low island off the north end of Torsön, about 5 km (3 mi) west of Pörkenäs. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4218; NGA 18188.
[Mässkär (2)]
1856 (station established early 1700s). Unlit daybeacon. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) hexagonal pyramidal wood tower with a pyramidal roof. Tower painted red; the roof is black. A view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. The original beacon was demolished in 1854 during the Crimean War so that it would not aid British ships in a possible attack on Pietarsaari. Located on the north side of Mässkär, a small island in the entrance to Pietarsaari. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
Bredhällan Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 21 m (69 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a large daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and the shadow of the tower is seen in Google's satellite view. This is an entrance range for Pietarsaari. Located across the entrance from the Mässkär beacon. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4212.1; NGA 18204.
Pietarsaari (Jakobstad)
1985. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 12 s. 17 m (56 ft) steel and concrete post light with a round cylindrical equipment shelter near the bottom and a gallery at the top. Upper half of the tower painted black, lower half yellow. Peter Granholm has a photo, Eija Luhtasela has a photo showing the Kallan lighthouse in the background, Trabas has a very distant view, and the tower is seen in Google's distant satellite view. Located on a shoal about 9 km (4.5 mi) northwest of Pietarsaari, a small port more often called by its Swedish name Jakobstad. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-040; Admiralty C4214.3; NGA 18197.
Kallan
1956. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery. Lighthouse painted red with one white horizontal band above the lower gallery. Jonas Thomén has a good view from the sea, a distant view is available, Trabas also has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island about 1 km (0.6 mi) northwest of the Pietarsaari light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-014; Admiralty C4214; NGA 18196.
Tankar
1889. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white flash every 3.5 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted red with one white horizontal band; lantern dome is gray metallic. A photo appears at right, a 2007 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a very distant satellite view of the station. In addition to the main light, the rear light of the Tankar Range (white light, 3 s on, 3 s off) is shown though a lower window of the tower at a focal plane of 20 m (66 ft). Located on a small island about 15 km (9 mi) west northwest of Kokkola. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-065; Admiralty C4200; NGA 18224.
Kokkola
1977. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, incorporating keeper's quarters, with lantern, two galleries, and a helipad on top of the lantern. Upper half of the lighthouse painted red, lower half white. A good photo is available. Located on a shoal about 12 km (7.5 mi) northwest of Kokkola. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-020; Admiralty C4203; NGA 18240.
Tankar Light
Tankar Light, Kokkola, July 2006
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Tomisti
Ykspihlaja Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); continuous yellow light; the tower is also floodlit at night. 5 m (17 ft) octagonal cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Trabas has a photo and Google has a satellite view. Ykspihlaja is the harbor area of Kokkola. The light is not on a breakwater pier; it is located on a concrete pad at the tip of an island that shelters the southern portion of the harbor. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C4209; NGA 18300.
Taulukari Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); yellow light, 1 s on, 1 s off. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) steel mast on a concrete tower (according to NGA) carrying a large daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on an islet in Ykspihlaja harbor, about 1 km (0.6 mi) northeast of the breakwater light. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C4207; NGA 18268.
Taulukari Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); yellow light, 3 s on, 3 s off. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a large daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the industrial zone of Ykspihlaja harbor about 1.46 km (0.9 mi) south southeast of the front light. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C4207.1; NGA 18272.
Trutklippan Range Front (1)
1885. Inactive for many years. Approx. 7 m (23 ft) square wood tower at one end of a 1-story wood keeper's house. Tower painted red, house white.The light was shown from a window of the tower. J. Strang has a photo, a 2009 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The range was described in a London Gazette announcement dated 3 September 1889; it was the approach range for Karleby (Kokkola). The original rear light was 256 m (280 yd) southeast. This range was still in service in the 1920s and probably served until World War II. In more recent times, the front light was an octagonal lantern and the rear light was the Harrinniemi lighthouse (previous entry). The old lighthouse is privately owned, probably as a vacation cottage. Located on Södra Trutklippan, a small island about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of Harrinniemi. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
* Harrinniemi (Harrbåden, Trutklippan Range Rear (2))
1953. Inactive, at least since the early 1980s. Approx. 28 m (92 ft) round cylindrical unpainted concrete tower. It appears that the light was shown from a short skeletal tower at the top. Pentti Impiö has a good photo and a view of the station, Wikimedia has Jukka Kolppanen's photo, Ari Parviainen has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. 2011 photos show that the tower is in poor condition. Located on a peninsula at the entrance to the harbor of Kokkola. Site open, tower closed.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Northern Finland | East: Southern Finland | South: Åland Islands

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted October 8, 2007. Checked and revised May 27, 2014. Lighthouses: 51; lightships: 1. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.