Lighthouses of Northern Finland

Finland has coastlines facing south on the Gulf of Finland and west on the Gulf of Bothnia, both arms of the Baltic Sea. Finland also administers the Åland Islands (Ahvenanmaa), an archipelago at the junction of the two gulfs. After centuries of rule by Sweden, Finland was conquered by Russia in 1809 and became an autonomous grand duchy within the Russian Empire. The country declared its independence from Russia in 1917, at the start of the Russian Revolution.

This page includes the lighthouses of the northern end of the Gulf of Bothnia, locally called the Bothnian Bay (Perämeri in Finnish, Bottenviken in Swedish). It is shallow, with numerous shoals and islands, creating a need for many navigational aids.

Special thanks to Teemu Vehkaoja for photos and information on lighthouses of this area.

Lighthouses in Finland are maintained by the Maritime Sector of the Finnish Transport Safety Agency (Trafi). The Finnish word for a lighthouse is majakka (plural majakat). Swedish is a second official language in Finland, and some of the lighthouses are commonly known by their Swedish names.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume C of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 116.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - Finland
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Galleria Majakat
Photos posted by Kimmo Koivunen.
World of Lighthouses - Finland
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Finland
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
Lighthouses in Finland
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Weitere Europäische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Finnish Lighthouse Society
The national lighthouse preservation association.

Marjaniemi Light
Marjaniemi Light, Hailuoto, June 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Teemu Vehkaoja

Lighthouses of Northern Ostrobothnia (Pohjois-Pohjanmaa)

Raahe Area Lighthouses
** Ulkokalla
1872 (Axel Hampus Dahlström). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 12 m (39 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a round cylindrical base. Lighthouse painted black with one white horizontal band. A large wood keeper's house is now open for overnight accommodations. An FMA photo is at right, the Rönkönharju architectural firm has a good photo (click on the second photo in the second row), Jari Kokkonen has photo, a view of the station is available, Finnish Wikipedia has the history of the station, and Google has a distant satellite view. The original keepers houses burned in 1944; the present building was constructed in 1958. Located on a small island about 20 km (13 mi) west of Kalajoki. Boat transportation is available from Kalajoki during the summer. Site open; light station and tower open to paying guests. Site manager: FemEmare Oy (Ulkokalla Lighthouse Island). ARLHS FIN-069; Admiralty C4192; NGA 18392.
Nahkiainen
1956 (lightship station established 1892). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 24 m (79 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, incorporating keeper's quarters, with lantern, two galleries, and a helipad on top of the lantern. Upper half of the lighthouse painted red, lower half white. An FMA photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a shoal about 16 km (10 mi) north of Kalajoki and 25 km (15 mi) west of Raahe. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-032; Admiralty C4188; NGA 18400.
Raahe
1965. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); two yellow flashes every 10 s. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical 2-stage concrete tower with lantern and two galleries, mounted on a round concrete pier. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. A small photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse shares its design with the three Oulu lighthouses (see below). FMA restored the lighthouse in 2009. Located on a shoal about 12 km (7.5 mi) west of Raahe. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-045; Admiralty C4183; NGA 18404.
Ulkokalla Light Nahkiainen Light
Ulkokalla (left) and Nahkiainen Lights
Finnish Maritime Administration photos
Elko Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. Approx. 22 m (72 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a large rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. The front light is on a small concrete tower. Located on an island off the waterfront of the Elko industrial harbor on the south side of Raahe. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty C4184.1; NGA 18424.
[Iso-Kraaseli]
1852. Daybeacon. 18 m (59 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower; the upper half is enclosed and painted white. Finnish Wikipedia has a page with a distant view of the beacon, and the tower casts a distinctive shadow in Bing's satellite view. The Raahe pilot station is adjacent to this beacon; both buildings have been maintained by the city of Raahe since 1983. Located near the north end of Iso-Kraaseli, an island about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of the Raahe waterfront. Site open, tower closed.
* Raahen Kirkko (Raahe Church)
1932. Inactive since about 1960. The light was mounted on the steeple of the historic Raahe Church. Aulo Aasmaa has a closeup photo, Wikimedia has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located in downtown Raahe. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty C4174.
[Tasku]
1853. Daybeacon. 19 m (62 ft) square wooden tower, the lower half cylindrical and the upper half pyramidal. Tower painted a dark yellow. Bing has a satellite view. One of several historic daybeacons in service in northern Finland. Located on the small island of Tasku, about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Raahe. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
* Tauvo
1978. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 30 m (98 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with gallery. The tower also carries a solid rectangular daymark, painted black. Wikimedia has a closeup photo by Teemu Vehkaoja, who also has a portfolio of 2010 photos. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a low cape about 12 km (7.5 mi) northeast of Raahe and a similar distance west of Siikajoki. Site open, and it appears that the lighthouse should be accessible by a fairly short walk on the beach. Tower closed. ARLHS FIN-067; Admiralty C4172; NGA 18444.

Hailuoto Area Lighthouses
Note: Hailuoto is an island municipality in the Bothnian Bay off the city of Oulu.
#[Itänenä]
Date unknown. Demolished in 2007. This was a 30 m (98 ft) square steel skeletal tower carrying a large slatted daymark. Jukka Pehkonen has a blurry photo, but Google's satellite view confirms that nothing remains of the tower. The tower was demolished because it posed a hazard to daredevil climbers. Located on the southeastern coast of Hailuoto. Site open.
* Marjaniemi
1872 (Axel Hampus Dahlström). Active; focal plane 20 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 25 m (82 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a round cylindrical base. Lighthouse painted white; lantern painted red with a green dome. A 2-story pilot station stands next to the lighthouse. Teemu Vehkaoja's photo appears at the top of this page, Timo Suomela has a July 2007 closeup photo, Juha Meriluoto has a distant view of the station, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. The lighthouse was preceded by a series of daybeacons starting at least by 1800. This handsome tower is one of the oldest, best known, and most accessible lighthouses of northern Finland. Located on a sharp point at the western tip of the island of Hailuoto, about 50 km (30 mi) west of Oulu. The island is accessible by auto ferry, and the lighthouse is at the end of highway 816, which crosses the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-028; Admiralty C4142.1; NGA 18452.
* [Keskiniemi (Karvo) (1)]
1858. Never lit as a lighthouse. 19 m (62 ft) square pyramidal wood tower rising from a square 1-story base. Tower painted white, roof black. Teemu Vehkaoja's photo is at right, he also has a portfolio of photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This historic tower has always been a daybeacon only, but there is a sector light nearby (next entry). Located on a promontory on the northwestern coast of Hailuoto. Site open, tower closed.
* Keskiniemi (Karvo) (2) (Range Front)
1941 (light station established 1908; daybeacon established 1858). Active; focal plane 9 m (29 ft); white flash every 6 s. 9 m (30 ft) square skeletal steel tower with white lantern and gallery, with an unused wooden gas-bottle storage shed at the foot of the tower. Trabas has a distant view by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the northwestern coast of Hailuoto. The light is accessible by foot or car, located 6.3 km (3.9 miles) northeast of Marjaniemi Lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-080; Admiralty C4147.05; NGA 18477.
Hyyppänmäki (Keskiniemi Range Rear)
Date unknown. Inactive; although the rear light has been discontinued the tower is maintained as a daybeacon. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) triangular cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery. The tower carries a rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Wikimedia has a photo, but the tower is inconspicuous in Bing's satellite view. Hyyppänmäki (Hyyppä Hill) is a sand ridge in the center of Hailuoto. Located 7 km (4 mi) southeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed.
Keskiniemi Beacon
Keskiniemi Daybeacon, Hailuoto, June 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Teemu Vehkaoja
Oulu 1
1965. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 24 m (79 ft) round cylindrical 2-stage masonry tower with lantern and two galleries, mounted on a round concrete pier. Lighthouse painted black with one white horizontal band. Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs. This is the outermost of three identical lighthouses built to guide ships around the north side of Hailuoto island to the port of Oulu. Located about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of the Marjaniemi lighthouse. Accessible only by boat, but there is a distant view from Marjaniemi. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-037; Admiralty C4145; NGA 18472.
Oulu 2
1965. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 24 m (79 ft) round cylindrical 2-stage masonry tower with lantern and two galleries, mounted on a round concrete pier. Lighthouse painted white with one narrow black horizontal band. Lightphotos.net has a photo, Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the second of three identical lighthouses built to guide ships around the north side of Hailuoto island to the port of Oulu. Located about 6.5 km (4 mi) north of the Marjaniemi lighthouse. Accessible only by boat, but there is a distant view from Marjaniemi. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-038; Admiralty
Oulu 3
1964. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); three flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 24 m (79 ft) round cylindrical 2-stage masonry tower with lantern and two galleries, mounted on a round concrete pier. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. Riku Peltokorpi has a 2008 photo, Trabas has a photo by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, Lightphotos.net also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the innermost of three identical lighthouses built to guide ships around the north side of Hailuoto island to the port of Oulu. Located about 3 km (2 mi) off the north coast of Hailuoto. Accessible only by boat, but there is distant views from the shore of Hailuoto. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-039; Admiralty C4147; NGA 18480.
Hoikka Range Rear (Santosenkari Range Front (1))
Date unknown (1930s?). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white light, 2 s on, 6 s off. 10 m (33 ft) rectangular concrete tower mounted on a round concrete pier. The tower also carries a rectangular daymark painted red with a yellow vertical stripe. Mikko Mäkalä has a closeup photo and a more distant view, Trabas has a distant view by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Bing has a satellite view. Formerly the front light of the Santsenkari range, the tower has been repurposed as the rear light of a different range. Located just off the southeastern point of the island of Santosenkari. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4148.1; NGA 18492.
Petsamonmatala (Santosenkari Range Rear (1))
Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) triangular cylindrical concrete tower. The tower appears unpainted today; originally it was painted white with a black vertical stripe facing the range. Mikko Mäkelä has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the Petsamonmatala shoal, about 19 km (12 mi) northwest of Oulu. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
[Laitakari]
1851. Approx 17.5 m (57 feet) wooden hexagonal structure resting on top of supporting wooden piles. Tower painted red with a pyramidical black roof. A 2011 closeup is available, and Bing has a satellite view. One of several historic daybeacons in service in northern Finland, this tower replaced older beacons placed on the island as early as the 1750s. When aligned with the belfry of the Oulu Cathedral the daybeacon guides vessels towards a range leading past the northern coast of Hailuoto island. Located on the small gravel island of Laitakari, approx 5 km (3 mi) east of the easternmost tip of Hailuoto and 16 km (10 mi) west of Oulu. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
Laitakari Beacon
Laitakari Daybeacon, Oulu, June 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Teemu Vehkaoja

Oulu (Uleåborg) Area Lighthouses
* Hietasaari Range Front
Date unknown. Inactive since at least 1980. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) rectangular cylindrical concrete tower, formerly painted white but nearly all the paint has weathered off. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of Vaaskiventie Street in Hietasaari, an island separated from Oulu by a narrow channel. Site and tower closed (private property) although the tower can be seen from nearby. ex-Admiralty C4158.
* Oulu Cathedral (Hietasaari Range Rear)
1908. Inactive since at least 1980. The light was mounted on the 38 m (124 ft) steeple of the cathedral. A closeup photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. The present church building was completed in 1832, but the steeple was added in 1845. Located in downtown Oulu. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty C4158.1.
* Koskela (2)
1940 (station established 1911). Inactive since the late 1990s. 5 m (17 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted red, lantern white. Trees surround the tower in Bing's satellite view. The tower carried a directional light guiding vessels into Toppila harbor. Vehkaoja reports the lighthouse is abandoned and covered with graffiti. Located on the south side of the Letonniemi promontory in Oulu; accessible by a foot path. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty C4163.
Keskihiuvet Range Rear
1939. Inactive since the early 1980s at least. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower, painted white with a red vertical stripe facing the former range line. Vehkaoja's photo is at right, and trees surround the tower in Bing's indistinct satellite view. Located on Hoikkahiuvet island, about 5 km (3 mi) off the mainland south of Haukipudas. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty C4153.
Kropsu (1)
Date unknown. Inactive since about 1990. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower, painted white with a red horizontal band. Vehkaoja has a photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. The lighthouse was replaced by a pair of small range lights; Vehkaoja also has a photo of the active front light. He reports that someone has broken into the building and equipped it with two bunks as an overnight shelter. Located near the northern point of Kropsu, an island 3 km (2 mi) northwest of Haukipudas. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower reported open. ex-Admiralty C4124.
Luodematala Range Front
1930. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); quick-flashing white light. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted red, mounted on a round concrete pier. A photo is available, Trabas has a distant view by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has a very distant satellite view. This range also guides vessels toward Oulu. Located at sea about 13 km (8 mi) northeast of Hailuoto. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4150; NGA 18496.
Keskihiuvet Range Rear Light
Keskihiuvet Range Rear Light, June 2011
photo copyright Teemu Vehkaoja; used by permission
Länsiletto (Luodematala Range Rear)
1930. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); one long white flash every 8 s. 16 m (52 ft) square concrete tower, painted white with a red vertical stripe facing the range line. Jukka Liedes has a photo, Wikipedia has Teemu Vehkaoja's distant photo, Trabas has a distant view by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Standing next to the concrete tower is a 34 m (112 ft) mast carrying the Nimeton Range Rear Light (Admiralty C4106.1, NGA 18498). Located on a small island about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Hailuoto and a similar distance from the mainland near Haukipudas. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4150.1; NGA 18496.1.
Hietakari Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, but the tower is not seen clearly in Google's satellite view. Located in a forest on the west side of the island of Katakari, about 25 km (15 mi) northwest of Oulu. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4108.1; NGA 18546.1.
Isoniemi Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a rectangular daymark colored white with a red vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, but the tower is not seen clearly in Google's satellite view. Located in a forest about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of Haukipudas. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4128.1; NGA 18672.
Rivinnokka Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 24 m (79 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, but the tower is not seen clearly in Google's satellite view. Located in a forest about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of Haukipudas. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4123.1; NGA 18684.1.
Rivinletto
1939. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with one black horizontal band. Teemu Vehkaoja took the photo at right, and he also has a closeup and a portfolio of photos. Trabas has a closeup photo, another closeup is available, Wikimedia has several photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located on Kaasamatala, a gravel bar on the south side of the entrance to the Kiiminki River in Haukipudas. Accessible only by boat, but there should be good views from shore. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-085; Admiralty C4122; NGA 18680.
Kriisi (1)
Date unknown (1920s?). Inactive since the 1990s. 5 m (17 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The light was built next to a historic daybeacon (next entry) and is seen to the right in a photo of that beacon. Bing has a satellite view.
Kriisi Beacon (Kriisi (2))
1874 (unlit until the 1990s). Approx. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, all sides of the upper half enclosed by a slatted daymark. Skeletal portion painted black, daymark painted red on two sides and white on the other two sides. A closeup and a second photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located near the west end of an island about 10 km (6 mi) northwest of Haukipudas. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4118; NGA 18705.
Rivinletto Light
Rivinletto Light, February 2011
photo copyright Teemu Vehkaoja; used by permission
Satakari
1939. Inactive since about 1980. 5 m (17 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a black horizontal band. Jukka Liedes has a closeup photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on an island about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of Haukipudas. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty C4116.
Kraasukka Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) post carrying a large rectangular daymark, painted yellow with a red vertical stripe. Jukka Liedes has a view from the sea, but the tower is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. The front light is on a similar, much smaller tower. Located on a small island about 8 km (5 mi) southeast of Ulkokrunni island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4105.1; NGA 18791.1.
Kraasukanletto
1939. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); yellow flash every 4 s. 11 m (36 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern and lower half of the tower painted white, gallery and upper half of the tower painted red. Mikko Mäkelä has an excellent photo, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Located on the northwestern tip of the same island that carries the Kraasukka Range Rear Light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4104.5.
Ulkokrunni Range Rear (1)
1936. Inactive since 1982. Approx. 30 m (98 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, originally painted white. The tower is not seen in Google's fuzzy satellite view. The light was replaced by a mast light, probably due to a change in the range line. Sometime around 1990 (probably in 1988) the light was moved to the top of a historic daybeacon (next entry). Located on the northwestern corner of Ulkokrunni island in the Krunni archipelago, about 20 km (12.5 mi) west of the mainland and 40 km (25 mi) northwest of Oulu. The island is a natural preservation area; landing is prohibited unless authorized by the Maakrunni Society. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed.
Ulkokrunni Range Rear (3)
1874 (unlit until recent years). Active; focal plane 26.5 m (87 ft); one long white flash every 8 s in a sector towards the range. Approx. 29.6 m (97 ft) hexagonal wooden tower with pyramidical roof. Tower painted red with a rectangular white daymark at the top. Jukka Liedes has a closeup photo, a more distant view is available, and Google has a very distant satellite view. One of several historic daybeacons in service in northern Finland. Formerly in dilapidated condition, it was restored in 1988; the light may well have been added at this time. Located on the northeastern tip of Ulkokrunni island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C4101.1; NGA 18780.

Lighthouses of Lapland (Lappi)

Kemi Area Lighthouses
Härkäletto
1939. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); flash every 3 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) triangular concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted black, lantern white. Jukka Liedes has a photo, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the island. Located on a small island about 8 km (5 mi) south of Simoniemi near the border of Oulu Province. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-053; Admiralty C4100; NGA 18792.
Ykskivi
1874 (unlit until 1954). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); flash every 4 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 19 m (62 ft) hexagonal wood tower with a pyramidal roof. The light is shown through a small window cut in the lower portion of the tower. Three sides of the tower are painted red and the other three are white. A closeup, a small photo and a view from the sea are available, and Google has a satellite view. This is one of several historic daybeacons in service in northern Finland. Located on the island of Ykskivi, 3.3 km (2 mi) south of the fishing harbor of Karsikko and about 12 km (7.5 mi) southeast of Kemi. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4098.5; NGA 18824.
Kemi 1
1975. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 4 s. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, incorporating keeper's quarters, with two galleries and a helipad on top. It appears that the original lantern has been removed and the light is now mounted at the edge of the helipad. Lighthouse painted with red and black horizontal bands. A photo is at right, and Mikko Mäkelä has a good photo. Located on a shoal about 22 km (14 km) southwest of Kemi; this location is very near the Swedish border on the centerline of the gulf. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-016; Admiralty C4082; NGA 18772.
Kemi 2 (2)
1981 (station established 1973). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 16 m (52 ft) steel and concrete post with double gallery. The tower is white with a red horizontal band. The Kemi 2 lighthouse replaced the lightship Kemi, which is on display at the Maritime Museum of Finland in Kotka. Jouni Saarenkylä has a photo of the 1973 lighthouse, which failed almost immediately; it was removed in 1974 and not replaced until 1981. Located on a shoal about 16 km (10 mi) southwest of Kemi. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-017; Admiralty C4082.5; NGA 18796.
Rytikaripenger Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 21 m (69 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a large rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, but the tower is not seen in Bing's satellite view. Located in the Rytikari industrial are south of Kemi. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C4096.41; NGA 18872.
Kemi 1 Light
Kemi 1 Light
Finnish Maritime Administration photo
Ajoskrunni Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); yellow light, 2 s on, 6 s off. 21 m (69 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a large rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, but the tower is not seen in Bing's satellite view. Located on the island of Ajoskrunni. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C4095.1; NGA 18840.
Keminkraaseli
1937. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three flashes every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 24 m (79 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with a black horizontal band at the top of the tower. Jukka Liedes has a photo, Trabas has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a gravel bar about 6 km (3.5 mi) south of Kemi. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FIN-018; Admiralty C4083; NGA 18828.
Ajos Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); yellow light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a large rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of a quay at Kemi's Ajos harbor. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C4084; NGA 18892.
Ajos Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); yellow light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 33 m (108 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a large rectangular daymark colored red with a yellow vertical stripe. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located 1130 m (0.7 mi) north of the front light. Site and tower closed. Admiralty C4084.1; NGA 18896.
Ajos Breakwater (North End)
1947. Inactive since the early 1980s at least. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with gallery. Lantern removed. Lower half of the tower painted red, upper half white. A closeup photo and a distant view are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the north end of the detached breakwater at Kemi. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty C4084.4.
* Kemin Kirkko (Kemi Church) (Mansikkanokka Range Rear)
1928. Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); continuous red light. The light is shown through a window under the clock on the church steeple. Marjo-Riita Oksanen has a photo, Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located in downtown Kemi. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty C4086.1; NGA 18948.1.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: South: Western Finland | West: Northern Bothnia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted October 8, 2007. Checked and revised June 3, 2014. Lighthouses: 43. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.