- Note: Sark (locally called Sèr) is a small island (5 km by 2 km) located east of Guernsey
and accessible by passenger
ferry from St. Peter Port; transportation on the island is by
foot, bicycle, or horse-drawn carriage. The island's population is about 600.
- * Sark
- 1913. Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); white flash every 15 s.
17 m (55 ft) octagonal cylindrical tower rising from 2-story keeper's
house; entire structure painted white. Fog horn (2 blasts every 30
s). Paula Funnell's photo is at right, Wikimedia has a photo, Trabas has Heike and Friedrich Klatt's photo, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a cliff at the
northeastern point of the island; accessible by a staircase of 165
steps down from the top of the cliff. Site open, tower closed. Operator:
Trinity House. ARLHS GUE-003; Admiralty A1544; NGA 8260.
- Note: Alderney is a small island about 32 km (20 mi) northeast of Guernsey and 16 km (10 mi) west of Cap de la Hague on France's Coetntin Peninsula. The island has a population of about 1900 and is accessible by air or by ferry.
- 1723 (height increased in 1854). Active; focal plane 37 m (120 ft);
five white flashes, separated by 3.7 s, every 30 s. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical
stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal
bands; lantern painted red. A Trinity House photo is at right, Marinas.com has good aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, David Coldrey's distant view
shows the isolation of the station, and Google has an indistinct satellite view of the station. The Casquets are a group
of rocks about 13 km (8 mi) west of Alderney. The active tower is
the northwesternmost of three towers built in 1723-24. The remaining
two towers have been inactive since 1877. The round cylindrical southwestern
tower, truncated and painted white, is now topped by a helipad. The
square cylindrical east tower, unpainted, houses a fog horn (2 blasts
every 60 s). During World War II the Germans used the light station
as an observation post and transmitter site, which attracted commando
raids by British forces in 1942 and 1943. Accessible only by helicopter.
Site and towers closed. Operator: Trinity House. ARLHS GUE-002; Admiralty
A1532; NGA 8264.
- ** Alderney
- 1912. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); four white flashes, separated
by 2.3 s, every 15 s. 32 m (106 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery,
painted white with a single broad black horizontal band, attached to 1-story
stone keeper's quarters. The keeper's house is occupied
by a resident warden who conducts tours of the light station. Dave Wilson's
photo appears at the top of this page, another fine closeup
is available, Trabas has a photo,
Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Bing has a satellite
view. The lighthouse guards the Alderney Race (Raz Blanchard), the 16 km (10 mi) wide
channel between Alderney and Cap de la Hague, the northwest corner of
the Cotentin Peninsula. The Race has some of the fastest and most dangerous
tidal currents in the world. Notwithstanding these hazards, in March
2011 Trinity House discontinued the station's foghorn and replaced its
light with a much weaker one. This has led to protests from the harbormasters
of Alderney and Guernsey. Located on Quénard
Point, the northeastern tip of Alderney. Accessible by car or by the Alderney Railway,
a tourist attraction in itself. Site open; tower open to guided tours
on weekends and bank holidays, or by appointment for groups of 8 or more.
Operator: Trinity House. ARLHS GUE-004; Admiralty A1536; NGA 8300.
Point Robert Light, Sark, June 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Paula Funnell
Casquets Light, Alderney
Trinity House photo