Lighthouses of Gibraltar
Gibraltar is a British overseas territory at the northeastern
entrance to the Strait of Gibraltar, which joins the Mediterranean Sea
and the Atlantic Ocean. It is dominated by the famous Rock of Gibraltar (see the photo below), a giant monolith 426 m (almost 1400 ft) tall.
Its name comes from the Arabic Jebel Tariq, Tariq's Mountain,
after Tariq ibn Ziyad, the general who led the Moslem conquest of Spain in 711 CE. More
important today is the conquest of Gibraltar by British and Dutch marines
during the War of the Spanish Succession in 1704. As a result of that
war, Spain ceded Gibraltar to Britain in the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713,
and it has remained in British hands ever since. Spain asserts a claim to the territory, but Gibraltarians rejected Spanish sovereignty by large majorities in 1967 and again in 2002.
The territory has a
population of about 28,000 and is self-governing except for defense and foreign relations. Tourism is a major industry; Gibraltar is a popular stop for cruise ships and attracts day visitors from nearby resorts in Spain.
Except for the historic lighthouse at Europa Point, aids to navigation in Gibraltar are maintained by the Port
of Gibraltar. The Europa Point Light has always been maintained by Trinity
House, the English lighthouse corporation.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 113.
- General Sources
Online List of Lights
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
- Leuchttürme.net - Gibraltar
- Photos and historical information posted by Malte Werning.
- Lighthouses in Gibraltar
- Photos available from Wikimedia.
- World of Lighthouses - British Territories in Europe
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
europäische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Europa Point Light, Gibraltar, July 2012
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Terry Hassan
* Europa Point
- 1841 (Sir Alexander Woodford). Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); white
light occulting once every 10 s; also a continuous red light and second red
light on 5.8 s, off 4.2 s, displayed at a focal plane of 44 m (144 ft). 19
m (62 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with one
red horizontal band in the middle of the tower. Fog horn (one blast every
20 s). Terry Hassan's photo appears above, Trabas also has a closeup photo,
Wikimedia has an excellent photo by Allie Caulfield and more than 40 additional photos, C.W. Bash has a view
from the sea showing a mosque that has been built near the lighthouse,
and Google has a street view and a satellite
view. Huelse has a historic postcard
view in which the lighthouse is unpainted and another postcard
view in which it is painted white. This historic lighthouse, typically
British in design, is operated by the English lighthouse agency Trinity
House. Located at the extreme southern tip of the Gibraltar peninsula,
with the Mediterranean to the east, the Bahía de Algeciras
to the northwest, and the Strait of Gibraltar leading southwest to
the Atlantic Ocean. Very few lighthouses can claim such a dramatic
and strategic location. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Trinity
Site manager: Government of Gibraltar.
ARLHS GIB-001; Admiralty D2438; NGA 4220.
- Gibraltar South Mole ("A" Head)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); one quick white flash every
2 s. 17 m (56 ft) octagonal cast iron skeletal tower with gallery and central
cylinder; the lantern has been replaced by a square skeletal tower with a
second gallery as a means of raising the light. Lighthouse painted black.
Trabas has a good photo,
and Google has a satellite
view. Located at the end of the south breakwater of Gibraltar harbor,
on the west side of the Rock. Site and tower closed, but there's a good view
from the waterfront. Operator/site manager: Port
of Gibraltar. ARLHS GIB-002; Admiralty D2442; NGA 4224.
North Mole ("D" Head)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); quick-flashing red light.
17 m (56 ft) octagonal cast iron skeletal tower with central cylinder; the
lantern and original gallery have been replaced by a square skeletal tower
with a new gallery as a means of raising the light. (This lighthouse differs
from the south mole tower in that the original gallery was removed.) Lighthouse
painted black. Trabas has a good photo,
and Google has a satellite
Located at the extreme end of the L-shaped north breakwater of Gibraltar
harbor, on the west side of the Rock. Site and tower closed, but there's
a good view from the waterfront. Operator/site manager: Port
of Gibraltar. ARLHS GIB-005; Admiralty D2448; NGA 4236.
North Mole Elbow ("E"
- Date unknown. Inactive since 2013. 25
m (82 ft) square skeletal tower with a circular harbor control room, gallery,
and watch room; the light is displayed from a tall skeletal extension of
the original tower mounted in front of the control room. Lighthouse painted
gray. Google has a satellite
Located at the elbow of the L-shaped north breakwater of Gibraltar harbor.
Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager: Port
of Gibraltar. ex-Admiralty D2449.2; NGA 4240.
- [Gibraltar Aerobeacon]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 405 m (1329 ft); the red light flashes
the Morse Code for GB (two long flashes and a short flash, followed by one
long flash and three short flashes) every 10 s. Square skeletal tower with
a large platform topped by a round radar structure. Trabas has a photo.
The Directory does not list aviation beacons as a rule, but this one demands
an exception. Located atop the Rock of Gibraltar, it has a range of 30 nautical
miles (55 km or 34.5 mi). Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager: Government
of Gibraltar. Admiralty D2456; NGA 4256.
Rock of Gibraltar from the west, with the Europa Point Light at the tip of
the cape on the right. Photo courtesy of Capt. Paul Breslin, USN, commander
of the USNS
Altair; used by permission.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
- Shrine of Our Lady of Europe, Europa Point. This historic church was first established in 1309-1333, when Spain captured Gibraltar from the Moslem empire, and then re-established in 1462 when Spain recaptured Gibraltar for good. Lights were shone from the tower of the church throughout the 16th and 17th centuries, at least. The present building of the Shrine is not the original, however; the original building was demolished and rebuilt during the early years of the British occupation. A photo and a second photo are available, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view.
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: East: Eastern Andalusia | West: Western Andalusia | South: Ceuta
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted January 24, 2006. Checked and revised December 9, 2013.
Lighthouses: 4. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.