Lighthouses of Guinea

The Republic of Guinea (the former French Guinea) is on the southern curve of West Africa northwest of Liberia and Sierra Leone. It was one of the first European colonies in Africa to become independent, in 1958. Like its neighbors, Guinea has suffered frequently from political turmoil at home or in adjoining countries. The one important port, Conakry, is also the national capital.

Almost no information on these lighthouses is available, so visitor accounts and photos would be very welcome.

Aids to navigation in Guinea are maintained by the Port Autonome de Conakry.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Phares d'Afrique
Photos posted by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller as part of their Phares du Monde web site.
World of Lighthouses - Guinea
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Afrikanische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Phare de Boulbinet
Boulbinet Light, Conakry, August 2012
photo copyright Murray Crawford; used by permission

Lighthouses
Île Matakong
1902. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 12 m (39 ft) white tower. No photo or other information available, and the lighthouse is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located on an island just north of the entrance to the Forécariah estuary, about 50 km (30 mi) southeast of Conakry. Site status unknown. ARLHS GUN-002; Admiralty D3096; NGA 24648.
* Boulbinet (Boulbiné, Conakry)
1906. Currently inactive; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 12 s. 12 m (39 ft) round masonry tower mounted on a circular concrete base. Lantern removed. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery red. Guyomard and Carceller have Véronique Nolet's photo showing the original appearance of the lighthouse, and photos are available showing the lighthouse outside the harbor, with the Îles de Los in the distance. Stan Breizh has a 2008 photo, Catherine Fournier has a 2007 photo, the lighthouse has appeared on a postage stamp, Huelse has a distant postcard view, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The Admiralty reported the light "temporarily extinguished" in 2011, so perhaps it is to be restored in the future. Conakry, the capital of Guinea, is located on the lee (southeast) side of a peninsula. Boulbinet is a harbor just inside the tip of the peninsula. Located off the tip of the peninsula southwest of Conakry. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GUN-001; Admiralty D3093; NGA 24636.
Conakry Dique de la Prudente
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); six very quick white flashes followed by one long white flash every 10 s. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower. The center of the tower is surrounded by a hexagonal vertically slatted daymark, the upper part painted yellow and lower part black. A photo is available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater of Conakry, about 1 km (0.6 mi) northwest of the Boulbinet lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty D3094; NGA 24640.
Île Tamara
1906. Active; focal plane 95 m (311 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery red. A French Navy photo is at right, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and a Google satellite view shows the station. The lighthouse is built cleverly atop a giant boulder; the boulder and tower together must be at least 25 m (82 ft) in height. This was intended as the landfall light for Conakry, and the light has a listed range of 48 km (30 mi). Murray Crawford reports that the light was operating in August 2012. Île Tamara is the outermost island of the Îles de Los, about 20 km (13 mi) southwest of Conakry. The islands were a British possession until 1904, when Britain traded them for French concessions of fishing rights off Newfoundland and Labrador. Located on a steep bluff on the southwest side of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site apparently open, tower status unknown. ARLHS GUN-003; Admiralty D3090; NGA 24620.
Phare de l'Île Tamara
Île Tamara Light, Île Tamara, April 2008
French Navy photo
[Cap Verga]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 120 m (394 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) mast. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view of the station. Cap Verga is a prominent cape about 130 km (80 mi) northwest of Conakry. Located on heights about 5 km (3 mi) north of the point of the cape. Site status unknown. Admiralty D3088; NGA 24616.
[Cap Gonzalez]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) "sheltered pillar," according to NGA. Bing's satellite view shows what appears to be a post with gallery mounted on a concrete pier. No photo available. Located on a shoal off the cape, about 40 km (25 mi) northwest of Cap Verga. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D3087; NGA 24612.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Guinea-Bissau | South: Sierra Leone

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 5, 2005. Checked and revised December 11, 2014. Lighthouses: 4. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.