Lighthouses of The Gambia
Gambia, or more properly the Republic of The Gambia, is
a small nation of West Africa straddling the River Gambia. Banjul, at
the mouth of the river, is the capital and the only major port. A former
British colony independent since 1965, The Gambia is surrounded by the
larger nation of Senegal.
British slave merchants had outposts on the Gambia River as early as
1588, and the country was the point of departure for perhaps a million
slaves before the trade was ended. The British do not seem to have built
any traditional lighthouses in the colony.
Navigational lights in The Gambia are maintained by the Gambia
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 113.
Barra Point Light, Fort Bullen
The Gambia National Centre for Arts and Culture photo
- * Cape St. Mary
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); two white flashes every
10 s. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) square skeletal mast centered on a concrete platform supported by four robust concrete piles. Reto Müller's photo is at right, and Google
has a good satellite
view. Cape St. Mary is the south side of the entrance to the River Gambia.
Lights were displayed at the cape as early as 1863. The present light is located
facing the Atlantic Ocean in the Fajara neighborhood, about 4 km (2.5 mi)
southwest of the cape. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D3021; NGA 24452.
- * Banjul Point
- Date unknown (probably recent). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white
light, 4 s on, 4 s off. 27 m (89 ft) skeletal tower. A photo of the point shows a communications tower that probably carries the light
as well. The tower appears to be in a government complex that includes the
police headquarters and customs house. Banjul is built on a peninsula forming
the south side of the River Gambia entrance, with the harbor sheltered on
the south side. Located at the east end of the peninsula. Site probably open,
tower closed. Admiralty D3027.5; NGA 24465.
- * [Fort James Island]
- Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 5 m (17 ft) square skeletal tower, painted
white. NGA lists this light as active, but a closeup photo (a little over halfway down the page) shows that the lamp has been removed
from the tower. Part of the tower is seen in Karen Brodie's photo, and Google
has a satellite
view of the island and fort. Fort James is a slave traders' fort, first
built by German merchants in 1651 and captured by the British in 1661.
Abandoned with the end of the slave trade in 1779, the ruined fort is
also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Erosion is eating away at the island
and the ruins. Located on a small island in the River Gambia about 30
km (19 mi) from the sea and 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Albreda. Accessible
only by boat; tours are available from Banjul. Site open, tower closed.
ARLHS GAM-002; ex-Admiralty D3030; NGA 24468.
- * Barra Point (Fort Bullen) (2)
- Date unknown (station established 1863). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft);
three quick red flashes every 15 s. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) square skeletal tower
mounted on the northwestern rampart of Fort Bullen. A photo appears above,
a closer view and another closeup are available,
and Liz MacKenzie-Barrett has a view from the river, but the tower is not visible in a Google satellite
view of the fort. Built by Britain in 1826, Fort Bullen is a UNESCO World
Heritage Site. A light was displayed from a flagpole of the port beginning
in 1863, but it is not known how long this light was maintained. The present
light appears to be of modern origin. Located on Barra Point, the north side
of the entrance to the River Gambia, opposite Banjul. Site open, tower closed.
ARLHS GAM-001; Admiralty D3027; NGA 24464.
Cape St. Mary Light, Fajara, February 2013
contributed photo copyright Reto Müller; used by permission
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining page: Senegal
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted October 10, 2008. Checked and revised September 16, 2012.
Lighthouses: 3. Site copyright 2012 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.