Lighthouses of Southern Greece

This page covers lighthouses of the southern mainland of Greece, including Attica (the Athens area), the Peloponnese region, and the portion of West Greece south of the Gulf of Corinth. Also included are lighthouses of nearby islands, in particular Kythira and Antikythira. Lighthouses of regions north of Attica and the Gulf of Corinth are listed on the Northern Greece page. There are separate pages for the Ionian Islands, for Crete, and for the Aegean Islands.

The modern Greek nation is a relatively recent creation. After several centuries of rule by the Ottoman Turks, southern Greece won its independence in a bitter struggle during the 1820s. The nation expanded northward in several steps. The Ionian Islands were added in 1864 and Thessaly in 1881. Epirus and Macedonia were added after the Balkan Wars of 1912-13, and West Thrace became Greek in 1920.

The Greek word for a lighthouse, pháros or fáros (φάρος), is the root for the words in many Western European languages. In Greek, nisis is an island, akra is a cape or headland, and kolpós is a bay or gulf. Administratively, Greece is divided into regions and subdivided into counties. The counties were formerly called prefectures and are now known as "regional units."

Lighthouses in Greece are maintained by the Hellenic Navy Hydrographic Service.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume N of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Lighthouses of Greece
A comprehensive site posted by amateur radio operator Pavlidis Savas (SV2AEL); it includes data and photos for 120 traditional Greek lighthouses.
Online List of Lights - Greece
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Lighthouses in Greece
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Majáky - Recko
Photos by Anna Jenšíková.
TrekEarth - Lighthouses of Greece
Photos by various contributors.
Lighthouses in Greece
Photos available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Greece
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Greece Lighthouses
Photos by Larry Myhre.
Leuchttürme an der griechischen Küste
Photos by various photographers posted by Bernd Claußen.
Latarnie Morskie - Morze Śródziemne
Photos posted by an anonymous Polish lighthouse fan.

Poros Light
Dana Light, Poros, July 2013
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Chris Brooks

Northern Attica (Gulf of Euboea) Lighthouse
* Ormos Oropou
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white flash every 4 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern mounted on a square masonry base. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the beach, just off the coastal road, on a prominent cape about 1.6 km (1 mi) northeast of Skala Oropou and due north of Athens. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4360; NGA 16296.

Eastern Attica (Cape Sounion Area) Lighthouses
* Vrisaki (Lavrio)
1892. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is blue. Trabas has a closeup photo, Petros Athanasakos also has a photo, a 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Ships rounding Ákra (Cape) Sounion, the eastern tip of the Attic peninsula, sail north through a channel between the mainland and the island of Makronisi ("Big Island"). Located on Ákra Vrisaki, marking the west side of the northern entrance to the Makronisi channel, about 5 km (3 mi) north of Lavrio. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-131; Admiralty N4210; NGA 15620.
* [Ákra Fonias (1)]
1889. Inactive. Now in ruins, this lighthouse had a stone tower atop a 1-story stone keeper's house. Portions of the house walls are standing. The active light (focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 2.4 s) is on a white skeletal tower. One of Alex Goldenberg's photos is at right, Savas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on Ákra Fonias, on the west (mainland) side of the Makronisi channel at the narrowest point, about 4 km (2.5 mi) south of Lavrio and 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Ákra Sounion. Site open. ARLHS GRE-067; Admiralty N4208; NGA 15612.
Fonias Light
Ruined Ákra Fonias Light, Lavrio, March 2007
photo copyright Alex Goldenberg; used by permission

Pireaus (Athens) Area Lighthouses
Piraeus Molos Themistokleus
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted white with one green horizontal band. Trabas has a good photo, Myhre has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the south breakwater mole at the entrance to the inner harbor of Piraeus. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4178; NGA 15524.
* Piraeus Molos Vasileus Georgios
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); red light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted white with one red horizontal band. Ava Babili's photo is at right, Trabas also has a good photo, Myhre has a 2009 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north breakwater mole at the entrance to the inner harbor of Piraeus. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4180; NGA 15528.
Ákra Keos Molos (Drapetsonas)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); two green flashes every 10 s. Approx. 11 m (36 ft) concrete post topped by a round lantern room with gallery; the active light is mounted on the roof. The lighthouse is unpainted white concrete with one green horizontal band. Trabas has a closeup photo, Iordanis Keramidas has a 2008 closeup, a view from the water is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of a mole extending from Ákra Keos, a cape in Piraeus directly opposite the Psitalia lighthouse. Site and tower closed. Admiralty N4171.5; NGA 15384.
Psitalia (Psyttáleia)
1856. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. 4th order Fresnel lens in use. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone; lantern dome painted green. Petros Athanasakos has a closeup photo, Trabas also has a photo, Myhre has a view from the harbor, and Bing has a satellite view. The traditional landfall light for Piraeus. Psitalia is a small island in the harbor of Piraeus, between the waterfront and Salamina. The island is the site of large sewage and hazardous waste treatment plant and is probably not open to the public. Located at the eastern tip of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-115; Admiralty N4170; NGA 15376.
Piraeus Molos Vasileus Georgios
Molos Vasileus Georgios Light, Piraeus, April 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ava Babili
Fylatouri (Ákra Fylatouri)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); two white flashes every 14 s. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) two-story keeper's house with a short square light tower at one corner. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a cape about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of Perama, marking the northern entrance to the strait separating Salamina from the mainland. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4174; NGA 15476.
* Koghi (Kokhi, Kónkhi, Salamina)
1901. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white flash every 4 s. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted white. Petros Athanasakos has posted an excellent photo, Trabas also has a good photo, a 2006 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Salamína (Salamis), the traditional home of the Hellenic Navy, is a large island in the northern end of the Saronic Gulf, just west of Piraeus. The island is easily accessible from the mainland by ferries. Located at the southern tip of the island, about 1.5 km (1 mi) southeast of Kolones. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-084; Admiralty N4168; NGA 15324.

Poros and Aegina (Saronic Islands) Lighthouses
Note: These islands, located in the Saronic Gulf southwest of Athens, are governed as the Poros and Aegina municipalities of the Attica region.
Plakakia (Aigina, Aegina, Egina)
1881. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. Post light mounted atop a 6 m (20 ft) round stone tower. Lighthouse painted white. The Navy's aerial photo is at right, another page for the lighthouse is available, Petros Athanasakos has a closeup photo, Trabas has another closeup, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the western tip of Aegina, an island in the middle of the Saronic Gulf. The island is readily accessible by ferry from Piraeus and several other locations, and the lighthouse is accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-108; Admiralty N4144; NGA 15252.
* Dana (Ákra Ntána, Poros) (1)
1870. Reactivated; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); flash every 4 s, white or red depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern dome painted red. The light was moved to a square skeletal next to the lighthouse; this tower was apparently removed in 2012-13 and the light returned to the historic lighthouse. Chris Brooks's photo is at the top of this page, a 2006 photo and a third photo are available, Trabas has a view from the sea, Wikimedia has a view from the sea by Georgios Pazios, and Bing has a satellite view. The island of Poros lies at the southern end of the Saronic Gulf, just off the coast of the Peloponnisos. Located at the western tip of the island, marking the entrance to the narrow strait between Poros and the mainland. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-058; Admiralty N4140; NGA 15228.
* Ákra Stavros
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); flash every 3 s, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) structure: a short triangular skeletal tower mounted at one corner of a 1-story building that may or may not be a former keeper's cottage. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the southern tip of the island of Poros, guiding vessels entering the narrow strait between the island and the mainland. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4141; NGA 15236.

Plakakia Light, Aigina
Hellenic Navy photo

Spetses and Hydra Area Lighthouses
Note: Although the neighboring mainland is part of the county of Argolida and the Peloponnese region, these islands are governed as the Spetses and Hydra municipalities of the Attica region.
Zourvas (Zurva) (2)
1946 (station established 1883). Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical stone tower rising from a 1-story stone keeper's cottage. The house is unpainted stone with white trim; lantern painted white with a green dome. Another page for the lighthouse has a distant view, Google's satellite view does not show the lighthouse well. This is a copy of the original lighthouse, which was destroyed by German troops during World War II. Located at the eastern tip of Hydra, about 10 km (6 mi) east of Idra (Hydra), the largest town of the island. Practically inaccessible. Site and tower closed. ARLHS GRE-133; Admiralty N4134; NGA 15216.
Dokós
1923. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); two flashes every 12 s, white or red depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house is unroofed and falling into ruin. Dokos (Dhokós) is one of the Saronic Islands, just off the east coast of the Peloponnisos about 8 km (5 mi) southeast of Ermioni. Attached to the Hydra municipality, the island is uninhabited except for a small Orthodox monastery. Located at the eastern tip of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-059; Admiralty N4124; NGA 15196.
* Spetses (2)
1885 (station established 1837). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); flash every 5 s, white or red depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) 2-stage round old-style masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with green trim; lantern dome is green. The Navy's photo is at right, a 2009 view and a view from the sea are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Spetses is an island in the eastern entrance to the Argolikos Kolpos (Argolic Gulf). The island is about 7 km (4.5 mi) long by 3 km (2 mi) wide and has a population of about 3500. A popular tourist destination, Spetses is accessible by ferry from Piraeus or Kosta. Located on a promontory sheltering the east side of the harbor of Spetses. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-063; Admiralty N4100; NGA 15176.
Velopoula (Belopoúla, Parapola)
1884. Active; focal plane 112 m (367 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a small square 1-story keeper's house. The lighthouse is painted white in Savas's photo. A distant 2008 photo is available, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Velopoula is an isolated, uninhabited island about 27 km (17 mi) off the southeastern peninsula of the Peloponnisos; it is attached administratively to the municipality of Spetses. Located atop the island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS GRE-027; Admiralty N4088; NGA 15088.

Spetses Light
Hellenic Navy photo

Arcadia Lighthouse

Note: Arcadia is the county in the central part of the Peloponnese region, but it also includes a portion of the east coast of the peninsula, facing the Argolic Gulf. This coastal area is called Kynouria (or Cynuria).
* Astros (Ákra Astros)
1893. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a small square 1-story keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted white with a blue dome. Trabas also has a good photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor of Astros, a port on the west side of the Argolikos Kolpos (Argolic Gulf). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-045; Admiralty N4104; NGA 15124.

Kythira and Antikythira Lighthouses
Note: Kythira (also spelled Cythera, Kithira or Kythera) is an island about 12 km (7.5 mi) off the southeastern tip of the Peloponnisos. Historically and culturally it is associated with the Ionian Islands, although it is remote from them geographically. Like the Ionian Islands, it was administered by Britain from 1809 to 1864. The island has a population of about 3500 and is accessible by ferry from Gythio or Neapoli. Antikithira is a small island roughly halfway between Kythira and the northwestern tip of Crete. Kythira and Antikythira are administered as part of the Attica region.
Apolitares (Antikythira, Andikíthira)
1926. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 23 m (75 ft) 2-stage round stone tower, lower stage cylindrical and upper stage conical, with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward end of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The tower is unpainted; lantern painted white with a green roof; keeper's house painted white. The Navy's aerial photo is at right, a closeup photo, another closeup, and a more distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse is an important guide to vessels in the Antikythira Strait, which connects the Mediterranean and Aegean Seas northwest of Crete. Antikythira has a population of about 50. Boat transportation from Kythira can be arranged. Located at the southern tip of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-040; Admiralty N4072; NGA 15076.
* Moudari (Mudari, Ákra Spathi)
1901. Active; focal plane 114 m (374 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 25 m (82 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Tower unpainted except for a white band around the base; lantern painted white with a green roof; keeper's house painted white. A 2007 closeup is available, Trabas has an excellent photo, Stephen Trifyllis has a distant photo in which the mainland can be seen in the distance, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Cape Spathi, the northern tip of Kythira. Site status unknown, but the site shoud be accessible from the end of a road that approaches the cape. ARLHS GRE-120; Admiralty N4066; NGA 15048.
* Kapsali
1853 (British). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a small 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white, except the lantern dome is blue. A photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, another good photo is available, Ntinos Lagos has a panoramic view, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The photos show that the lighthouse was restored around 2010. Located on a promontory protecting the harbor of Kapsali, a port at the southern end of Kythira. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-077; Admiralty N4068; NGA 15052.

Apolitares Light
Apolitares Light, Antikythira
Hellenic Navy photo

Kapsali Light
Kapsali Light, Kythira, June 2012
Flickr Creative Commons photo by BeeFortyTwo


Laconia Lighthouses
Note: The southernmost county of Peloponnese, Laconia includes two long peninsulas ending in Capes Tenaro and Maleas, respectively, and separated by the broad Gulf of Laconia.
* [Monemvasia (1)]
1896. Inactive. A small, ruined 1-story stone keeper's house that formerly carried a short post light. The building is unpainted. The active light (focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 5 s) is on a skeletal tower. Mark Hensley has a closeup photo of the former lighthouse, Trabas has a photo of the modern light, and Google has a good satellite view. The lighthouse is part of a medieval fortress. Lighthouse, fortress, and the tiny village of Monemvasia are located on a high, rocky island about 32 km (20 mi) north of Cape Maleas. Accessible by road, since the island is connected to the mainland town of Gefyra by a causeway. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-098; Admiralty N4080; NGA 15092.
Maleas (Ákra Maleas, Cape Malea)
1883. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white flash every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a small 1-story masonry keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted white with a green dome. Trabas has a good photo, Ntinos Lagos has a photo, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Cape Maleas is the southeastern tip of the Peleponnisos. Located at the easternmost point of the cape, about 1.5 km (1 mi) north of the southernmost point. Perched on a very steep slope, the lighthouse is difficult to access. Site and tower closed. ARLHS GRE-093; Admiralty N4078; NGA 15044.
Zovollo (Ákra Zovollo)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 7 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern mounted on a square masonry base. Lantern painted white. Trabas has a closeup photo, and the lantern may be visible in a Google satellite view. Located on a promontory about 7 km (4.5 mi) west of Cape Maleas, near the southeastern tip of the Peleponnisos. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-182; Admiralty N4076; NGA 15040.
Kranai (Gythio, Gytheio)
1873. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); three white flashes every 18 s. 23 m (75 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpained white stone; lantern painted white with a green roof. The Navy's aerial photo is at right, Panos Kazanelis has excellent photos, Trabas has a closeup photo, Lighthouse Explorer has a closeup photo by Mike Rice, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Gytheio is a port on the west side of the Lakoniakos Kolpós (Gulf of Lakonia), and Kranai is a small island on the south side of Gytheio harbor, connected to the mainland by a causeway. The name is derived from kranos (helmet) because according to ancient legend the warrior Paris left his helmet here after spending his first night with Helen of Troy on the island. This handsome lighthouse is built of marble quarried on the Tenaro peninsula within a few miles of the tower. Savas says that the light station was donated to the Hellenic Maritime Museum in 1989 but apparently it has never been open to the public; a visitor in 2013 found it gated with a no-trespassing sign. Located at the eastern tip of the island of Kranai. Site and tower closed. ARLHS GRE-073; Admiralty N4052; NGA 15008.
Kranai Light
Kranai Light, Gytheio, June 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by sailko
* Tainaro (Cape Tenaro, Cape Matapan)
1882. Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted white with a gray metallic roof. A Navy photo is at right, another page for the lighthouse is available, Trabas has a good photo, Petros Athanasakos has a great closeup, a good 2006 photo is available, Wikimedia has a 2009 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a good satellite view. Ákra Tainaro (Cape Matapan) is the southernmost point of the Greek mainland. Located on the point of the cape, about 10 km (6 mi) south of Vatheia. Accessible by road and a short hike. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-125; Admiralty N4048; NGA 14992.
* Limeni
1898. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); quick white flash every 1.5 s. 6 m (20 ft) skeletal post light atop a small 1-story stone keeper's cottage. Light tower painted white; keeper's house unpainted. There is a good 2005 photo by Stathis Stathakis; it shows that since Savas's photo the light tower has been replaced with a new, solar-powered version. Trabas also has a good photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view of the station. Located at the south entrance to the harbor of Limeni, on the east side of the Messiniakos Kolpós (Gulf of Messinia), about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of Areopoli. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-091; Admiralty N4040; NGA 14980.

Messenia (Messinia) Lighthouses
Note: Messenia is the county of the Peloponnese region located at the southwestern corner of the Greek mainland.
* Kitries
1892. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); two white flashes every 12 s. 11 m (36 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted white. Savas has a page for the lighthouse, a 2008 photo and a view from the sea are available, Trabas has a photo taken from the heights above the lighthouse, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse guides vessels approaching the port of Kalamata. Located on Ákra Kitries, a prominent cape on the east side of the Messiniakos Kólpos (Gulf of Messenia), about 3 km (2 mi) southwest of the village of Kitries. The coastline is fairly rugged in this area, but the lighthouse is apparently accessible by hiking trail. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-082; Admiralty N4032; NGA 14968.
Tainaro Light
Tainaro (Cape Matapan) Light, Vatheia, May 2009
Wikimedia public domain photo by Timmerma
Sapienza (Sapiéntza)
1885. Active; focal plane 116 m (381 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 9.5 m (31 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 1-story rubblestone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted stone; lantern painted white with a black dome. A 2008 photo is available, Steven Carmans has a view from the sea, and Google has a good satellite view. Sapienza is an island about 6 km (3.5 mi) in length located off Methoni at the southwestern corner of the Peloponnese. Most of the island is set aside as a nature reserve, but it is rarely visited. Located on a high promontory at the south end of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-116; Admiralty N4016; NGA 14932.
Sfaktiria (Pylos, Pílos) (3)
Date unknown (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery, painted white, standing in front of the original lighthouse, a square cylindrical stone tower attached to the seaward end of a 1-story stone keeper's house. Sava's photo shows the second light on a 3 m (10 ft) square stone pillar. Trabas has a photo of the current light in which the old lighthouse and the stone pillar are also seen. Google has a satellite view. The historic lighthouse is abandoned and falling into ruin. Located on a small island at the west side of the entrance to the bay of Pylos. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-185; Admiralty N4008; NGA 14908.

Ilia (Elis) Lighthouses
Note: Ilia, also called Elis, is a county of the West Greece region occupying the northwestern part of the Peloponnese Peninsula.
Katakolon
1865. Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); white flash every 4 s. 9 m (30 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower rising from the seaward side of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted stone; lantern painted white with a green roof; keeper's house painted white. Trabas has an excellent closeup photo, the Navy's aerial photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of Ákra Katakolon, a sharp promontory about 15 km (9 mi) west of Pirgos. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-080; Admiralty N3998; NGA 14892.
Kafkalida (Cape Killini)
1906. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 8 s off. 15 m (49 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted gray stone with white stone trim; the original lantern has been removed and replaced by a small lantern painted white. Trabas has a good photo, Dion Keramidas has a 2010 view from the mainland, a view from the sea is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Kafkalida is a small island off Cape Kyllíni (Killini) at the northwestern corner of the Peloponnisos. Located at the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat; transportation can be hired in Kyllini. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-074; Admiralty N3996; NGA 14880.
Faros Katakolon
Katakolon Light, Pirgos
Hellenic Navy photo

Achaea Lighthouses
Note: Achaea is a county of the West Greece region, located in the northern Peloponnese Peninsula and facing the Gulfs of Corinth and Patras.
* Patras (replica)
1999 replica of 1880 lighthouse. Inactive; a decorative light is displayed. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story stone keeper's house. A photo is at right, Adam Balch has a photo, another good photo is available, Paul Touliatos has a closeup, Wikimedia has additional photos, and Google has a satellite view. Klaus Huelse has a postcard view of the original lighthouse, which was located at the end of a pier at the foot of Agios Nikolaos street in Patras. The lighthouse was demolished in 1972, a tragic loss of a valuable and valued civic landmark. Located on the waterfront at the west end of the harbor of Patras. Site open. tower status unknown. ex-Admiralty E3920.
* Drepano (Drepanon, Rio, Rion, Morea)
1880. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 10 s. 7 m (23 ft) round rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 1-story keeper's house. 4th order (?) Fresnel lens in use. The tower is unpainted white stone; lantern and keeper's house painted white; lantern roof is black. Trabas has an excellent photo, a distant view is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a point of land at the base of a sandy spit about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of the Rion-Antirion Bridge. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-061; Admiralty N3948; NGA 14876.

Corinthia (Korinthía, Corinth Area) Lighthouses
Note: Corinthia is the northeasternmost county of the Peloponnese region. It includes the Isthmus of Corinth, the narrow connection between the Peloponnese Peninsula and the rest of mainland Greece. Thus it has two coasts, one facing east on the Saronic Gulf of the Aegean Sea and one facing north on the Gulf of Corinth of the Ionian Sea.
* Likoporia
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); two white flashes every 16 s. 15 m (49 ft) square pyramidal iron skeletal tower, painted white. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a point of land on the south side of the Gulf of Corinth directly opposite the Psaromyta lighthouse and about 2 km (1.25 mi) west of the village of Likoporia. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N3967; NGA 14868.
Faros Patras
Patras Light replica, Patras, October 2010
Wikimedia public domain photo by Xocolatl
* Melagavi (Melangavi, Cape Ireon, Loutraki)
1897. Active; focal plane 58 m (190 ft); white flash every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the seaward end of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted stone with white trim; lantern painted white with a green roof. Another page for the lighthouse is available, Petros Athanasakos has posted an excellent closeup photo, Trabas also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Cape Ireon projects westward into the Gulf of Corinth and shelters the bay leading to the city of Kórinthos (Corinth). Located on the point of the cape about 15 km (9 mi) west of Loutraki. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-018; Admiralty N3972; NGA 14844.
* Sousaki (Susaki)
1894. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green flash every 10 s. 7.5 m (25 ft) round cylindrical rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story rubblestone keeper's house. Lighthouse unpainted; lantern dome painted green. Petros Athanasakos has posted an excellent photo, Trabas has a good closeup, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse was built to guide westbound ships approaching the Corinth Canal, which connects the Saronic Gulf to the Gulf of Corinth (the canal is too narrow for modern ships). Located on the Saronic Gulf on a point of land about 4 km (2.5 mi) east of Isthmia, the eastern entrance to the canal. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-136; Admiralty N4162; NGA 15320.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Northern Greece | East: Aegean Islands | Southeast: Crete | West: Ionian Islands

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted November 27, 2006. Checked and revised November 14, 2013. Lighthouses: 36. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.