Lighthouses of Northern Greece

This page covers lighthouses of mainland Greece north of Attica (the Athens area) and the Gulf of Corinth, including the regions of East Macedonia and Thrace, Central Macedonia, Thessaly, Central Greece, Epirus, and the portion of West Greece north of the Gulf of Corinth. Also included here are the lighthouses of Euboea, a large island barely separated from the mainland, and several smaller islands of the northwestern Aegean attached administratively to Thessaly or Central Greece. Lighthouses of Attica, Peloponnese, and the southern part of West Greece are on the Southern Greece page. There are separate pages for the Ionian Islands, for Crete, and for the Aegean Islands.

The modern Greek nation is a relatively recent creation. After several centuries of rule by the Ottoman Turks, southern Greece won its independence in a bitter struggle during the 1820s. The nation expanded northward in several steps. Thessaly became part of Greece in 1881. Epirus and Macedonia were added after the Balkan Wars of 1912-13, and West Thrace became Greek in 1920.

The Greek word for a lighthouse, pharos or faros, is the root for the words for lighthouse in many Western European languages. In Greek, nisis is an island, akra is a cape or headland, kólpos is a bay or gulf. Administratively, Greece is divided into regions and subdivided into counties. The counties were formerly called prefectures and are now known as "regional units."

Lighthouses in Greece are maintained by the Hellenic Navy Hydrographic Service.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume N of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Lighthouses of Greece
A comprehensive site posted by amateur radio operator Pavlidis Savas (SV2AEL); it includes data and photos for 120 traditional Greek lighthouses.
Online List of Lights - Greece
Photos posted by Alexander Trabas.
Lighthouses in Greece
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Majáky - Recko
Photos by Anna Jenšíková.
TrekEarth - Lighthouses of Greece
Photos by various contributors.
Lighthouses in Greece
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Greece
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Greece Lighthouses
Photos by Larry Myhre.
Latarnie Morskie - Morze Śródziemne
Photos posted by Gola Burkhard, a Polish lighthouse fan.
Leuchttürme an der griechischen Küste
Photos by various photographers posted by Bernd Claußen.

Faros Arkitsa
Arkitsa Light, Phthiotis
Hellenic Navy photo

Faros Avlida
Avlida Light, Euboea
Hellenic Navy photo

Lighthouses of Northeastern Greece

Thrace Lighthouses
*** Alexandroupolis
1880 (Ottoman). Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 27 m (89 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted white, except the lantern dome is green. A photo by Dimitris Siskopoulos is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, a 2009 closeup photo is available, Google has a street view, and the shadow of the tower is centered in a Google satellite view. Alexandroupolis is the easternmost city of the Greek mainland, located about 15 km (9 mi) from the Turkish border. The city is relatively new; it was developed by the Ottoman Empire in the late 19th century and originally known as Dedeagatch. After the Balkan Wars of 1912-13 it became part of Bulgaria, but after World War II Western Thrace was reassigned to Greece. Greek forces took control in 1920 and renamed the city after Alexander I, who was then king of Greece. This handsome lighthouse is located right on the city's waterfront boulevard at the base of the main quay, making it one of the most accessible of all Greek lighthouses. According to Savas, it was transferred to the Hellenic Maritime Museum in 1986 and is open to the public, although we have no information on the schedule. Site open, tower reported open. ARLHS GRE-005; Admiralty N4554; NGA 16836.
* Ákra Fanári
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white light, 1.5 s on. 6.5 s off. 5 m (17 ft) skeletal tower mounted atop a large round water tank. Tank painted white. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The Greek word fanári means a signal light, such as a traffic light. Located on a forested headland at Fanári, a village on the east side of the entrance to the bay of Vistonias. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4550; NGA 16796.

East Macedonia (Kavala) Lighthouses
Note: Greek Macedonia, located at the northwestern end of the Aegean Sea, is not to be confused with the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia, which is an independent, land-locked country to the north. This region and the adjoining region of Central Macedonia became part of Greece in 1913.
* Ákra Kará Ormán (Kavála, Kabála)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white flash every 5 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern, painted white, mounted on a concrete pad. Trabas has a closeup photo, another photo is available, and the lantern is barely visible in a Google satellite view. Kavála, located on the mainland opposite the island of Thasos, is the principal port of eastern Macedonia. Located at the tip of a blunt peninsula that shelters the east side of the harbor of Kavála. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4540; NGA 16736.
Alexandroupolis Light
Alexandroupolis Light, Alexandroupolis, May 2013
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dimitris Siskopoulos
* Kavála (Kabála) North Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 2 s. 11 m (36 ft) post light on a hexagonal base, standing atop a 1-story stone pierhead building. Lighthouse painted white with one narrow red band around the hexagonal section. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view of the pier. Located at the end of the north (really west) breakwater of Kávala. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4542; NGA 16744.

Central Macedonia Lighthouses
* Kassandra (Posidi)
1864 (Ottoman). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 14.5 m (47 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white, except the lantern dome is green. A photo by Vervelidis Panos is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, a good 2007 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view of the station. There are three long, fingerlike peninsulas pointing into the Aegean in this region of Macedonia. This lighthouse is on the south side of the Kassandra peninsula, the westernmost of the three. Located about about 2 km (1.2 mi) southwest of Posidi. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-138; Admiralty N4488; NGA 16640.
* Megálo Émvolon (Megalou Emvolou, Karabournaki)
Date unknown (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); flash every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 10.5 m (35 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one corner of a square 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white, except the lantern dome is green. Fog horn (one blast every 60 s). Trabas has a good photo, an excellent November 2006 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse stands on Ákra Megálo Émvolon and marks the east side of the entrance to the bay of Thessaloníki at the extreme northwestern corner of the Aegean Sea. According to Savas, the area was part of a Hellenic Navy base and was closed to civilians, but it appears that this is no longer the case. Located on the cape, about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Nea Mihaniona and about 15 km (9 mi) southwest across the bay from Thessaloníki. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-096; Admiralty N4498; NGA 16576.
* Thessaloniki Harbor Office
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); green light, 1.5 s on, 2.5 s off. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) square 3-story masonry tower at one corner of a 2-story masonry office building; the light is displayed from a short skeletal tower on the roof. Trabas has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view across the harbor. The light guides vessels entering the inner harbor of Thessaloniki, which is protected by a detached breakwater. Located at the end of Pier 1, the easternmost pier of the commericial harbor area. Accessible by walking or driving the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4504; NGA 16628.
Axios (Kávoura)
1960. Active; focal plane 9 m (36 ft); two flashes every 12 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) steel post light mounted at one end of a 1-story rectangular keeper's house. Fog horn (one long and one short blast every 60 s). Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse stands on an island off the delta of the Axios River and marks the west side of the entrance to the bay of Thessaloníki, at the extreme northwestern corner of the Aegean Sea. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS GRE-047; Admiralty N4497; NGA 16584.
Faros Kassandra
Kassandra Light, Posidi, October 2008
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by Vervelidis Panos
Ákra Atherídha
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); white flash every 5 s. 9 m (30 ft) square iron skeletal tower rising from a 1-story iron equipment shelter. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a prominent cape about 10 km (6 mi) southeast of Methoni. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4496; NGA 16572.

Thessaly (Magnesia) Lighthouses
Note: Magnesia, a county in southeastern Thessaly, includes the major port of Volos and the chain of Aegean islands known as the Northern Sporades.
Psathoúra
1895. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white flash every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted, lantern painted white with a green dome. A closeup photo is available, Vasilis Laringakis has a good view from the sea, and Google has a distant satellite view. Psathoúra is a small, uninhabited island at the northeastern end of the Voriai (Northern) Sporades. The light guides ships bound for Thessaloníki around this island chain. Located at the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-029; Admiralty N4482; NGA 16464.
* Ákra Gouroúni (Guruni, Skópelos)
1884. Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 14 m (46 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern dome painted green. A fine 2007 closeup is available, Claußen also has good photos by Olaf Riesenberg, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse is on the island of Skópelos, largest of the chain of islands off the coast of Thessaly known as the Voriai (Northern) Sporades. This light and the next one frame a deep water passage between the islands of Skíathos and Skópelos, used by coastwise shipping. The lighthouse appears to be in excellent condition. The island is about 20 km (13 mi) long and has a population of about 5000. Located at the northwestern tip of the island, about 4 km (2.5 mi) northwest of Glossa. Accessible by an unpaved road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-071; Admiralty N4474; NGA 16480.
Répi (Repion)
1914. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 15 m round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome painted green. Claußen has good photos, Trabas has a view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Located on Répi, a small island off the east coast of Skíathos and about 4 km (2.5 mi) east southeast of Skíathos village. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-137; Admiralty N4472; NGA 16496.
Ákra Sépia (Sipiás)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 105 m (344 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. 4 m (13 ft) round cast iron lantern, painted white, mounted on a concrete pad. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a prominent cape about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Platania, marking the entrance to the strait between the mainland and the island of Skiathos. Site status unknown. Admiralty N4464; NGA 16520.
* Trikeri (Ákra Kavoúlia)
1864 (Ottoman). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); three long (2 s) white flashes every 20 s. 14 m (46 ft) square rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story masonry keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted stone; lantern painted white with a green dome; keeper's house painted white. The Navy's photo is at right, Francesco de Crescenzo has a 2008 photo, a closeup is available, Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was built by French engineers for the Ottoman Empire; it became Greek when Thessalia (Thessaly) was ceded to Greece in 1881. It stands at the end of a long, hook-shaped peninsula that encloses the Pagasitikos Kolpós. Located on Akra Kavoulia, about 3 km (2 mi) west of Trikeri. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-128; Admiralty N4442; NGA 16528.
Argironisos
1899. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a square 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome painted dark green. Claußen has good photos by Olaf Riesenberg, Leonidas Tzani has a 2008 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the eastern entrance to the Oreon strait, which separates the northwestern end of Euboea from the mainland. Located on an island about 3 km (2 mi) east of Agios Dimitrios on the mainland, and about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Kanatadika on Euboea. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-041; Admiralty N4440; NGA 16420.

Trikeri Light, Trikeri
Hellenic Navy photo

Lighthouses of Central Greece

Phthiotis Lighthouses
Note: Phthiotis is the mainland region of Central Greece facing Euboea from the west, across the Gulf of Euboea.
* Anteros (Cape Chiliomili, Ákra Khiliomíli)
1890. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern dome painted dark green or black. The keeper's house is not seen in Savas's photo or in Trabas's closeup photo. Ritas Athanasios has a 2008 closeup, a sunset photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This little lighthouse is a typical French tourelle, a type of prefabricated light installed in countries all over the world. Located on a sharp cape at the south side of the entrance to the Maliakos Kolpós, about 5 km (3 mi) north of Skarfia. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-057; Admiralty N4424; NGA 16388.
* Arkitsa
1908. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the seaward side of a square 1-story masonry keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted stone with white trim; lantern dome painted dark green. Trabas has a photo, a portfolio of photos is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Ákra Arkitsa, a sharp cape projecting into the Notios Evvoikos Kolpós (Gulf of Euboea) at the town of Arkitsa. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-042; Admiralty N4416; NGA 16360.
[Atalanti]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 1.5 s. 5 m (17 ft) skeletal tower atop a short post, painted white. Behind the light is a ruined stone keeper's cottage. Trabas has a distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an islet off the northern tip of Atalanti, an island in the Gulf of Euboea about 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Livanates. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N4412; NGA 16352.

Euboea Lighthouses
Note: Euboea is a mountainous island, about 150 km (90 mi) long, close to the Greek mainland north of Attica. The southeast end of the island is separated from Attica by the Gulf of Petalion, and the northeast end is separated from the mainland of Boeotia and Phthiotis by the narrow Gulf of Euboea. In the center, at Chalcis, the separation between Euboea and the Boeotian mainland is the very narrow Eúripus Strait believed to have been opened several thousand years ago by an earthquake. Several bridges cross the strait, linking Euboea to the mainland.
* Kakokefali (Halkida, Chalkida, Chalkis)
1886. Active (?); focal plane 21 m (69 ft); two red flashes every 18 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Trabas has a photo, Claußen has a photo by Olaf Riesenberg, Vasilis Poul has a nice photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Although NGA continues to describe the lighthouse in its listing, it appears that the active light has been moved to the skeletal tower in front of the building. Located in Halkida, marking the northern entrance to the narrow strait separating Euboea from the mainland. Site status unknown but probably open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-075; Admiralty N4378; NGA 16328.
Strogili
1870. Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is dark green or black. Claußen has photos by Olaf Riesenberg, Trabas has a distant view, a 2008 closeup and a 2009 view from the sea are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a small island in the Gulf of Euboea off the western tip of the island of Euboea. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-124; Admiralty N4420; NGA 16380.
* Vasilína
1892. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a square 1-story masonry keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted stone with white trim; lantern painted white with a dark green dome. The Navy's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup, Leonidas Tzani has a 2009 photo, Claußen has a photo by Olaf Riesenberg, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the western entrance to the Oreon strait, which separates the northwestern end of Euboea from the mainland. Located on Akra Vasilina, a point of land projecting into the strait, about 5 km (3 mi) north of Ágios Geórgios. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-129; Admiralty N4432; NGA 16408.
Pontikonísi (Ákra Artemision)
1907. Active; focal plane 62 m (203 ft); two flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction. 19 m (62 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a square 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted white with a dark green dome. Leonidas Tzani has a 2013 photo, a 2009 view from the sea is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. The light guides ships around Ákra Artemision, the northernmost point of Euboea, into the strait of Skiathou. Located on a small island about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northeast of Ákra Artemision. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-110; Admiralty N4458; NGA 16516.
Prasoúda (Prasuda)
1897. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (56 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted stone; lantern painted white with a dark green dome. D.J. Dennis has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view of the station. The light guides ships around a prominent cape on the northeastern coast of Euboea. Located on a small island about 12 km (7.5 mi) northeast of Kimi. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-112; Admiralty N4453; NGA 16432.
Lithári (Skíros, Skyros)
1894. Active; focal plane 96 m (315 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 12 m (39 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted, lantern painted white with a green dome. Dimitris Iliopolis has a 2006 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Skíros (Skyros), the southernmost of the Sporades, is located about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Kimi, Euboea. The island is about 25 km (15 mi) long and has a population of about 3000. The lighthouse is located on Ákra Lithári, the southeastern tip of the island. Land access is difficult; the lighthouse is at least 5 km (3 mi) from the nearest road, over very rough terrain. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-092; Admiralty N4454; NGA 16444.
Faros Visilina
Vasilína Light, Ágios Geórgios
Hellenic Navy photo
Mandili (Mandiloú)
1925. Active; focal plane 83 m (272 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. No closeup photo available, but Trabas also has a distant view, another distant view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop an island off the southeastern tip of Euboea, marking the entrance to the Kolpós Petalion, the gulf separating southern Euboea from the Attic peninsula. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-094; Admiralty N4451; NGA 16228.
* Avlída (Stenó Avlídhas, Ákra Avlís)
1880. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two white flashes every 12 s. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the seaward side of a square 1-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome painted dark green. A Navy photo is at the top of this page, Trabas has a closeup photo, Petros Athanasakos also has a good photo, Claußen has a photo by Olaf Riesenberg, trees hide all but the lantern in Google's street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the southern entrance to the narrow strait separating Euboea from the mainland. (Avlída is on the mainland, but the municipality is part of the Euboea prefecture.) Located on the waterfront in Avlída. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-046; Admiralty N4366; NGA 16308.

Boeotia Lighthouse
Note: Boeotia and Phocis are counties of the Central Greece region that are located on the north side of the Gulf of Corinth.
* Antíkyra (Antikira, Andikira)
2003(?). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green flash every 4 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete block tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted white concrete; lantern dome painted green. Stairs lead to an observation platform atop an equipment shelter attached to the tower. A closeup photo is available, Wikimedia has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. NGA misspells the name as "Andikira." Located at the end of the pier at Antíkyra. Accessible by walking the pier. Site and observation deck open, tower closed. Admiralty N3970.5; NGA 14833.

Phocis Lighthouses
[Apsifiá (Galaxidí, Agios Georgios)]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 7 s. 5 m (17 ft) skeletal tower atop a short post, painted white. Behind the light is a ruined stone keeper's cottage. Trabas has a distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on Apsifiá island, about 1.5 km (1 mi) east of Galaxidi. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N3960; NGA 14816.
* Psaromyta
1894. Active; focal plane 65 m (213 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 9 m (30 ft) round rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 1-story rubblestone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted white, lantern roof dark green. The Navy's photo is at right, Burkhard has a page for the lighthouse, Trabas has a fine photo, Kostas Stathopoulos has a closeup, another good photo and a distant view are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a prominent cape on the north side of the Gulf of Corinth, about 4 km (2.5 mi) southeast of Agios Nikolaos. According to Savas, the light is at the end of dirt road that intersects the main coastal highway 1.5 km (1 mi) southeast of Agios Nikolaos. 4WD recommended. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-114; Admiralty N3956; NGA 14804.
Faros Psaromyta
Psaromyta Light, Ágios Nikólaos
Hellenic Navy photo

Lighthouses of Northwestern Greece

Aetolia-Acarnania (Aitoloakarnanía) Lighthouses
Note: Aetolia-Acarnania is the prefecture of the West Greece region that lies north of the Gulfs of Patras and Corinth. The northern border of the prefecture is on the south shore of the Ambracian Gulf (Gulf of Amvrakikos), while the southern border is mostly on the Gulf of Patras. The Gulf of Patras is connected to the Gulf of Corinth by a narrow strait at Antirrio in the southeastern corner of the prefecture.
* Nafpaktos (Naupactus)
1909. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green flash every 2 s. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical unpainted stone tower with a pyramidal top; the light is mounted at the peak. The light tower is built atop the wall of a fortification that protected the harbor. A closeup photo is available, Trabas has a photo, there is an aerial photo of the harbor, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the east side of the harbor entrance at Nafpaktos, about 10 km (6 mi) northeast of Antirion. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-134; Admiralty N3942; NGA 14792.
* Antirrío (Antiríon)
1880. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, built atop the wall of a ruined Ottoman castle. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted white; lantern roof is gray metallic. Valeriy Pikulskyy has a photo; this photo was probably taken from the spectacular Ríon-Antírrion Bridge, which was completed in 2004. A photo by Alexander Mikroyannidis shows how the bridge now towers over the lighthouse. A photo is at right, Thomas Knoblauch has a closeup, another photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Cape Antirrion is a sharp promontory forming the north side of the Río (Strait) Antírrion, the 1.9 km (1.2 mi) wide entrance to the Gulf of Corinth. Sultan Bayazet II built castles on both sides of the strait in 1500, as the Ottoman Empire was in the process of conquering western Greece from Venice. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-006; Admiralty N3938; NGA 14784.
Ágios Sóstis
1859. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); flash every 5 s, white or red depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 1-story keeper's house. The tower is unpainted white stone; lantern and keeper's house painted white; lantern roof is green. Alexandros Gialias has a closeup photo, an aerial photo and a view from the sea are available, Trabas has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. The island of Ágios (Saint) Sostís lies on the north side of the Gulf of Patraikós in the entrance to the bay of Mesolóngi about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of the city of Mesolóngi. The only other structures on the small island are a ruined customshouse and the chapel of St. Sostis. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-055; Admiralty N3912; NGA 14756.
Oxiá (Oxeía)
1899. Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a 2-story keeper's house. The tower and lower story of the house are unpainted rubblestone; the lantern and upper story of the house are painted white, and the lantern roof is green. The upper story of the house is dissimilar to the lower and must have been added well after the original construction. Bing has a satellite view. Oxiá is a small island at the north entrance to the Gulf of Patras, which leads to the Gulf of Corinth. Located at the southern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat, although transportation can be arranged from Astakos on the nearby mainland. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-101; Admiralty N3908; NGA 14640.
Antirrio Light
Antírrio Light, Antirrío, May 2010
Panoramio photo copyright M CM LXX IV; permission requested
[Voliós]
1913. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); one quick flash every 1.5 s, white or red depending on direction. 4.5 m (15 ft) square stone post light standing in front of a ruined 1-story stone keeper's cottage. Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light marks the southern entrance to the strait separating Lefkada from the mainland; it is located on a small island just off the mainland about 6 km (3.5 mi) south of the Lefkada bridge. (It is not on Lefkada, as both Savas and ARLHS imply.) Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-130; Admiralty N3842; NGA 14584.
* Áktio (Akteon) Range Front
1928. Active; focal plane 5 m (16 ft); quick-flashing yellow light. 4 m (13 ft) 1-story keepers house; the light is displayed from a small platform over the front door. There is a triangular red daymark mounted above the light. House painted white with a red tile roof. Trabas has an excellent photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The range guides ships through the narrow entrance to the Ambracian Gulf. The rear light is on a small skeletal tower. Located on the beach on the south side of the entrance, in Áktio. Accessible by road, but the turnoff to the lighthouse is unmarked. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty N3804; NGA 14504.

Epirus (Ípiros) Lighthouses
Note: Epirus occupies the northwestern corner of the Greek mainland, adjoining Albania. The region is mountainous and has no major ports. The southern border of the region is on a large, nearly land-locked bay, the Ambracian Gulf (Gulf of Amvrakikos), which is connected to the Ionian Sea by a narrow channel, the Strait of Preveza.
** Koprenas (Ákra Kópraina)
1893. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); two flashes every 16 s, white or red depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) round stone tower with gallery; lantern removed. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone with trim painted red. The small 1-story keeper's cottage, standing next to the lighthouse, was restored as a museum in 2000. A photo by G. Karpathakis is at right, Daskagiannis Apostolos has a fine 2009 photo, Trabas has a good closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. This site is very popular with birders. Located at the end of a long, sandy spit projecting into the northeastern corner of the Gulf of Amvrakikos about 1.5 km (1 mi) south of Aliki. Site open, museum schedule unknown, tower probably open when the museum is open. ARLHS GRE-085; Admiralty N3820; NGA 14536.
Murtos (Mavro Oros, Syvota, Sivota)
1884 (Ottoman). Active; focal plane 87 m (285 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted; lantern painted white. A 2009 closeup photo and a view from the sea are available, Larry Myhre has a distant view, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This lighthouse was built by French contractors for the Ottoman Empire; the area was ceded to Greece in 1913 at the end of the Balkan Wars. Located on a very steep promontory at the western end of the island of Syvota, about 3 km (2 mi) west of the mainland town of the same name. Accessible only by boat; there does not appear to be any land access. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-118; Admiralty N3786; NGA 14476.
Koprenas Light
Koprenas Light, Arta
Panoramio photo copyright G. Karpathakis; used by permission

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Albania | Northeast: European Turkey | East: Aegean Islands | South: Southern Greece | West: Ionian Islands

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted November 27, 2006. Checked and revised November 10, 2014. Lighthouses: 34. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.