Grenada is an island nation at the southern end of the Lesser Antilles.
Although it was colonized initially by the French, it was a British colony
from 1762 until it achieved independence in 1974. After the historic
Point Saline Light was demolished, in the early 1980s, the country had
no active traditional lighthouses except for the very small Fort George beacon. This has changed recently with the building of
a private lighthouse at Prickly Point. In addition, Grenada has several
other sites of interest to lighthouse fans, including a Swedish lightship
in retirement as a marina restaurant.
Navigational aids in Grenada are presumably maintained by the Grenada Ports Authority.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume
J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List
numbers are from Publication 110.
- General Sources
- Online List of Lights - Grenada
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
- World of Lighthouses - Grenada
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Mittelamerikas und der Karabik auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
- *** Swedish
Lightship 23 Västra Banken
- 1901 (Bergsunds Mekaniska Verkstad, Stockholm). Decommissioned 1970. 28
m (89 ft) steel lightship. The original superstructure of the ship was removed
and is on display at a museum in Öregrund, Sweden; the ship now carries
a modern superstructure and the light tower taken from lightship 21 Trelleborgs
Redd. The light tower is placed near the stern; the original was amidships.
Hull painted red, superstructure white, lantern blue. A 2007 photo
taken at the ship's new home in Grenada is available, Claude Mafart has a closeup,
Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. From 1923 to 1970 the lightship served on the Västra Banken
station in the Baltic Sea off Gävle,
Sweden, north of Stockholm. After deactivation, the lightship was sold as
a restaurant. In 1999 it was sold again and moved to Stockholm as a houseboat.
In November 2005 it was sold a third time, to developers of a marina and
resort in Grenada. The ship was towed to Rostock, Germany, to be restored
and re-equipped. It was then loaded
on the MV Schippersgracht and carried to the West Indies, arriving
at the new marina in December 2006. The ship was opened as a restaurant and
conference center in June 2007. Located at Le Phare Bleu Marina on the
south coast of Grenada, 5.5 km (3.5 mi) southeast of St. George's. Site
open; ship open daily. Owner/site manager: Le
Phare Bleu Marina and Resort. Formerly ARLHS SWE-256.
St. George's Harbour Light, Fort George, November 2010
photo copyright Neal Doan; used by permission