Lighthouses of Guyana
Guyana is an independent nation located on the north coast of South America
just east of Venezuela. Colonized initially by the Dutch, it was conquered
by the British during the Napoleonic Wars and became the colony of British
Guiana in 1831. The country gained its independence in 1966. Georgetown,
the national capital and major port, is also the site of the country's
one traditional lighthouse. New Amsterdam is the second international
Aids to navigation in Guyana are presumably operated by the Guyana Transport
and Harbours Department.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are
from Publication 110.
- General Sources
List of Lights - Guyana
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas; the Guyana photos are by Capt. Peter Mosselberger.
- Lighthouses in Guyana
- Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
- World of Lighthouses - Guyana
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Südamerikas auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
- Georgetown Area (Demerara-Mahaica Region) Lighthouses
- Georgetown Range Rear
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every
5 s. 17 m (56 ft) skeletal tower, painted white, mounted on a square
platform supported by piles. No photo available, but Google has a satellite
view. Located on the west side of the entrance to the Demerara
River. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty
J6843.1; NGA 17300.
- *** Georgetown
- 1830 (station established 1817). Active; focal plane 31.5 m (103
ft); flash every 60 s, red or white depending on direction. 30 m (98
ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red
and white vertical stripes. A photo by Amanda Richards is at right, Wikimedia has a 2013 photo, a good 2011 photo is available,
Angelina Archer has a photo of the light in action, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite
Nigel Currant's August 2011 photo shows the lighthouse freshly repainted. The lighthouse is a principal tourist attraction in Georgetown, the
nation's capital. In 2003, a team from the Smithsonian
Institution cleaned and restored the clockwork mechanism that rotates
the lens. Located at the end of Water Street, marking the east side
of the mouth of the Demerara River. Site open, tower open but we have
no information on the schedule. ARLHS GUY-001; Admiralty J6841; NGA
Georgetown Light, Georgetown, April 2012
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Amanda Richards
- Clonbrook (1?)
- Date unknown. Active (?); focal plane 26 m (85 ft); yellow flash every
30 s. Listed as a 26 m (85 ft) skeletal tower, painted yellow. This tower has been abandoned, and if the light is active, it has been moved atop a nearby cell tower. Amanda Richards has a 2013 photo, and Google has a satellite
on the Atlantic coast about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Georgetown.
Site status unknown. Admiralty J6852; NGA 17312.
New Amsterdam Area (East Berbice-Corentyne Region) Lighthouses
- [Berbice River]
- Date unknown (lightship station established 1902). This light is listed as a 12 m (39 ft) skeletal tower on a wood platform. NGA notes that the light was reported extinguished in 1996, and Capt. Peter Mosselberger's photo shows that only stubs of the pilings remain. Located about 10 km (6 mi) north northeast of the mouth of the river. Admiralty J6854; NGA 17320.
- Berbice Entrance Range Front (2)
- Around 2011. Active; focal plane about 16 m (52 ft); quick-flashing white light. Approx. 16 m (52 ft) square skeletal tower mounted on a wood platform supported by wood piles. The tower also carries a diamond-shaped slatted daymark, painted red. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo. This light replaced the light still listed by NGA, which had a focal plane of only 6 m (20 ft). According to Capt. Mosselberger, the range lights were upgraded after large quantities of bauxite began to be shipped from New Amsterdam. Located off the entrance to the Berbice estuary, which leads to the port of New Amsterdam. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J6858; NGA 17324.
- Berbice Entrance Range Rear (2)
- Around 2011. Active; focal plane about 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 24 m (79 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted white and mounted on a wood platform supported by wood piles. The tower also carries a diamond-shaped slatted daymark, painted red. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo (also seen at right). This light replaced the light still listed by NGA, which had a focal plane of only 12 m (39 ft). Located 1.4 km (0.9 mi) south southwest of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J6858.1; NGA 17328.
- #New Amsterdam
- 1909. Inactive since sometime before 1975. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) square
cylindrical wood tower of the New Amsterdam Town Hall. A photo is available, and Wikimedia has a historic (1950) photo. Capt. Peter Mosselberger visited New Amsterdam in January 2013 and was told that the old town hall had been demolished in 2012. The Guyana Chronicle has photos of the deteriorated tower being removed by a crane on 10 June 2012. There is interest in rebuilding the tower, but no one has the $16.5 million this is estimated to cost. Located in downtown New Amsterdam, on the east bank of the
Berbice River about 7 km (4 mi) south of the river's mouth.
Berbice Entrance Range Rear Light, New Amsterdam, January 2013
photo copyright Capt. Peter Mosselberger; used by permission
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: East: Suriname | West: Eastern Venezuela
Return to the Lighthouse Directory
Posted July 7, 2003. Checked and revised February 28, 2014. Lighthouses: 6. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University
of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.