Lighthouses of Southern Croatia

The Republic of Croatia, located on the east side of the Adriatic Sea, includes most of the coastline of the former Yugoslav federation. Including the historic provinces of Istria and Dalmatia, this coastal region has a very long history. Southern Croatia was the independent Republic of Ragusa for several centuries until it was captured by Napoleon in 1808. (Ragusa is the Italian name for Dubrovnik.) After the Napoleonic Wars, the former Ragusa was part of the province of Dalmatia within the Austrian Empire until that empire was dissolved in 1918, at the end of World War I. The area was then incorporated into the state of Croatia within the federation of Yugoslavia. Croatia became independent in 1991, when the Yugoslav federation fell apart.

The Croatian word for a lighthouse is svjetionik. The word rt is a cape or promontory, otok is an island, hrid is a rock, and luka is a port. The country is divided into 21 counties, 7 of which touch the coast. The principal ports are Rijeka in the north, Split on the central coast, and Dubrovnik in the far south. This page covers the southern third of the Croatian coastline, including the Split and Dubrovnik regions.

Many places in this area were better known in the past by their Italian names. The Italian names of lighthouses, when known, are shown in curved brackets {}.

Aids to navigation in Croatia are managed by Plovput, a state-owned corporation. Plovput has developed eleven of the light stations for vacation rental.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. HRV numbers are the Croatian light list numbers, if known. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Plovput - Aids to Navigation - Lighthouses
Information and small photos posted by Plovput. There is also a List of Lighthouses page that links to many photos, plus a Coast Lights page with photos of typical smaller beacons.
Croatian Lighthouses
Information posted by Plovput on the light stations available for vacation rental.
Croatian Lighthouses
Also posted by Plovput, a gallery of fine photographs by commercial landscape photographers.
Online List of Lights - Croatia
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
World of Lighthouses - Croatia
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Croatia
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Latarnie Morskie - Morze Śródziemne
Photos posted by Gola Burkhard, a Polish lighthouse fan.
Leuchttürme an der kroatischen Küste
Photos by Olaf Riesenberg posted by Bernd Claußen.
Lighthouses in Croatia
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Weitere europäische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Croatia Road Map
A good general map showing the county boundaries.

Pločica Light
Pločica Light, Korčula
Plovput photo

Sveti Petar LIght
Sveti Petar Light, Makarska, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Wesley Bowler

Dubrovnik-Neretva County Lighthouses

Prevlaka Peninsula Lighthouse
* Oštra (Rt Oštra, Prevlaka) {Punta d'Ostro} (2)
Date unknown (station established 1854). Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off, 2 s on, 4 s off. The light is displayed from a red post atop a 1-story masonry building. Andreas Köhler has a closeup photo, Trabas has a distant view, Wikimedia's photo shows the light above the historic Prevlaka fortress, and Bing has a satellite view. Originally, this was the site of a 17 m (56 ft) lighthouse attached to a keeper's house; we don't know the fate of this building. This light marks the entrance to Herceg-Novi Bay, a deep fjord that extends into northwestern Montenegro. The Prevlaka peninsula was part of Montenegro before World War II, and following the collapse of the Yugoslay federation in 1991 it was claimed by Montenegro. The area was occupied by UN forces from 1996 to 2002, when it was returned to Croatian control under an agreement providing for its demilitarization. The question of sovereignty is to be referred to the International Court of Justice, but it does not appear on the Court's list of current cases. Located on a bluff at the end of a sharp promontory at Prevlaka, about 35 km (22 mi) southeast of Dubrovnik (this is the southernmost point of Croatia). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-111; HRV-742; Admiralty E3620; NGA 14100.

Dubrovnik Area Lighthouses
Grebeni {Pettini}
1872. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery centered on a 1-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse is unpainted white stone, lantern painted white. Trabas has a good photo, Sandy Smith has another good photo, Plovput has a sunset photo by Renco Kosinozic that shows Sv. Andrija Light in the distance, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Smith's photo (taken in 2005) showed the lighthouse to be in very poor condition with large holes in the roof; this damage was probably caused by shelling during the siege of Dubrovnik by Yugoslav (Serbian) forces in 1991-92. However, Intiaz Rahim's 2009 photo shows the lighthouse repaired, with a bright new roof. Located on Hrid Grebeni, a small island about 800 m (1/2 mi) offshore on the west side of Dubrovnik. Accessible only by boat, but clearly there are fine views from the mainland. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CRO-054; Admiralty E3598; NGA 14040.
Daksa (Daxa) (1?)
Date unknown (station established 1876). Inactive. 13 m (43 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to one end of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone. Active light (focal plane 7 m (23 ft); white flash every 6 s) on a 4 m (13 ft) steel post. Karen Rustad's photo is at right, Palicz Gyula has a good photo, Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, and the lighthouse is mostly shaded by trees in a Google satellite view. The historic lighthouse was active as late as the 1960s, at least. Located at the northern tip of Otočić Daksa, an island protecting the entrance to Dubrovnik harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown, but there are good views from all ships entering or leaving the harbor. ARLHS CRO-037; Admiralty E3600; NGA 14044.
Sveti Andrija {Donzella} (2)
1873. Active; focal plane 69 m (226 ft); white flash every 15 s. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery centered on a 2-story stone keeper's house. Clamshell Fresnel lens in use. Lighthouse is unpainted white stone, lantern painted white. Plovput has a photo by Andrija Carli, additional photos, and an aerial photo by Damir Fabijanic, Trabas has a distant view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse has been renovated for vacation accommodations. This is a landfall light for Dubrovnik. Located on Otočić Sveti Andrija, a small island about 13 km (8 mi) west of Dubrovnik. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-001; Admiralty E3590; NGA 14024.
[Rt Donji (Slano)]
1875. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); red flash every 4 s. 4 m (13 ft) post; post painted red. The 1-story keeper's cottage appears to be abandoned and in poor condition. Trabas has a photo by Ulrich Knapp, another photo is available, and Bing has a distant satellite view. This light marks the entrance to the protected bay of Slano. Located on a promontory of the mainland about 50 km (30 mi) northwest of Dubrovnik. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-039; Admiralty E3580; NGA 14004.

Daksa Light, Dubrovnik, June 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Karen Rustad
Olipa (3?)
1878 (station established 1842?). Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a small stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone; lantern painted white. Duncan Kime has a photo, Trabas has a photo, Huelse has a postage stamp image, and Bing has a distant satellite view. The 1842 date comes from the postage stamp, but the light did not appear on international lists until 1872. According to Findlay's 1879 list, a new lighthouse was built in 1878 306 yards (280 m) west of the 1872 lighthouse. Olipa is the westernmost of the Elaphiti islands, an archipelago of small islands stretching along the mainland coast between the base of the Pelješac Peninsula and Dubrovnik. The lighthouse guards the entrance to the Kolocepski Kanal (channel), the protected passage between the islands and the mainland. Located on the southeastern point of Otočić Olipa. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-008; Admiralty E3561; NGA 13984.

Mljet and Lastovo Lighthouses

Note: Southernmost of the major Dalmatian islands, Mljet (known in Roman times as Melita, "honey") is located south of the Pelješac Peninsula and east of Lastovo. Mljet is 37 km (23 mi) long and has a permanent population of about 1100. Like the other inhabited islands, it is accessible by ferry. Lastovo is a resort island south of Korčula and west of Mljet.
Sobra (Rt Pusti) {Meleda} (4?)
Date unknown (station established 1885). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower, painted white. Trabas has a photo by Ulrich Knapp, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. There were at least two and probably three earlier lights at this station. Located on the tip of the peninsula sheltering the harbor of Sobra, on the north coast of Mljet. Site status unknown, but there must be good views from ferries arriving from Korčula or Dubrovnik. ARLHS CRO-211; Admiralty E3537; NGA 13952.
Glavat {Isolotti Lagostini}
1884. Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); five white flashes every 30 s. 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, centered on the roof of a large 2-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse is unpainted white stone, lantern painted white. Trabas has an excellent photo, Brian Domander has a good view from the sea, Korcula.net has photos, amateur radio operators report on a 2002 visit to the station, and Google has a distant satellite view of the site. On its page, Plovput says the lighthouse was built in 1874, but it was not listed by Findlay in 1879. This important but rather poorly-known lighthouse is located on a small island midway between Lastovo and Mljet, marking the end of a dangerous reef. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-004; Admiralty E3554; NGA 13944.
Otočić Tajan Velji
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical stone tower, unpainted. A distant view is available, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on an islet about 8 km (5 mi) northeast of Lastovo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-170; Admiralty E3551; NGA 13940.
* Struga {Isola Lagosta}
1851 (station established 1839?). Active; focal plane 105 m (344 ft); white flash every 10 s. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical stone tower rising from the center of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The tower is unpainted stone; lantern and house painted white. A Plovput photo is at right, Plovput also has a page for the lighthouse, a 2008 closeup photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house has been renovated for vacation accommodations. Although Plovput says the station was established in 1839, it did not appear on international light lists until 1851. This lighthouse is on Lastovo, an inhabited island about 10 km (6 mi) south of Korčula. Located on Rt Struga, a sharp cape on the south side of the island; accessible by a gravel road. Site open, lighthouse open to paying guests. ARLHS CRO-148; Admiralty E3544; NGA 13912.
Struga Light
Struga Light, Lastovo
Plovput photo

Sušac Lighthouse
Sušac {Isola Cazza}
1878. Active; focal plane 94 m (308 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 20 m (66 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery centered on a 2-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse is unpainted white stone, lantern painted white. Plovput's page has several photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view of the station. The lighthouse has been renovated for vacation accommodations, with two apartments; transportation is provided from Split. Sušac (formerly called Cazza) is a rugged, uninhabited island about 20 km (13 mi) west of Lastovo and a similar distance southwest of Korčula. Located on heights at the southwestern end of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed except to paying guests. ARLHS CRO-011; Admiralty E3538; NGA 13904.

Palagruža Lighthouse
Palagruža {Pelagosa}
1875. Active; focal plane 110 m (361 ft); white flash every 17.5 s. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, centered on the roof of a large 2-story stone keeper's house. This is a staffed weather station. Lighthouse is unpainted white stone, lantern painted white. A Plovput photo is at right, another Plovput page has additional photos, Trabas has a view from the sea by Capt. Theo Hinrichs, and a nice 2007 photo and a 2004 photo are available. Bright light and dark shadow obscure the lighthouse in Google's satellite view. An infamous hazard to navigation in the Adriatic, Palagruža is an isolated island in the middle of the Adriatic, 48 km (30 mi) south of Lastovo. The island is a sharp ridge of rock 1400 m (7/8 mi) long and about 300 m (330 yd) wide. Italy ceded the island to Austria in 1873. Construction of the lighthouse at the highest point of this isolated island was a considerable engineering triumph. Two apartments in the large building are available for vacation accommodations, with boat transportation provided from Korčula. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-012; Admiralty E3586; NGA 11052.

Korčula Lighthouses
Note: Korčula (known as Corcyra in Roman times and as Curzola in Italian) is an island south of Hvar and west of the Pelješac peninsula. The island is large, 47 km (29 mi) in length, and it has the second largest population of any Croatian island, about 16,000. It is readily accessible by ferry and is a very popular resort area.
Ražnjić (Rt Ražnjić)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with gallery, painted white. Carole Maillefer has a photo, a closeup is available, and Bing's satellite view shows the shadow of the lighthouse. Located on Rt Rašnjic, the easternmost point of Korčula. There does not appear to be any road access to the site. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-130; Admiralty E3486; NGA 13872.
* Rt Velo Dance
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone. Trabas has a photo, and another photo is available, but the white lighthouse is hard to see against the white beach in Bing's satellite view. Located on the southwestern tip of Korčula, about 7 km (4.5 mi) southwest of Vela Luka. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E3461; NGA 13884.

Palagruža Light
Palagruža Light, Otočić Palagruža
Plovput photo

Otočić Kamenjak
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); two red flashes every 6 s. 7 m (23 ft) hexagonal cylindrical stone tower. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone. Trabas has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on an islet about 5 km (3 mi) west of Vela Luka. Site open, tower closed. Accessible only by boat. ARLHS CRO-063; Admiralty E3454; NGA 13888.
Otočić Proizd
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) square stone tower, unpainted. Trabas has a photo, another photo and a distant view are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the eastern end of Otočić Proizd, a small island off the northwestern tip of Korčula. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-122; Admiralty E3452; NGA 13900.
Pločica (Otočić Pločica) {Isola Planchetta}
1887. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 2-story stone keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. A Plovput photo is at the top of this page, Tadej Tuma has a 2013 photo, and Marinas.com has aerial photos, but Bing has only a distant satellite view of the island. The house is available for vacation accommodations. Pločica is a small, teardrop-shaped island in the Hvarski Kanal (Hvar Channel) about 6 km (4 mi) north of Prigradica, Korčula. Located on the highest point of the island. Site open, lighthouse open to paying guests. ARLHS CRO-013; Admiralty E3450; NGA 13720.
Otočić Sestrice Vela (Korčula) {Due Sorelle}
1871. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 2-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone. A Plovput photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, Paulics Laszlo has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is probably the least well known of three Croatian lighthouses called Sestrice Vela ("big sister"). Located on the larger of two small islands (the "two sisters," due sorelle, in Italian) in the eastern entrance to the Pelješki Kanal (Pelješki Channel) about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southwest of Podstub. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-016; Admiralty E3482; NGA 13864.
Sestrica Vela Light
Sestrice Vela Light, Korčula
Plovput photo

Poluotok Pelješac (Pelješac Peninsula) Lighthouses
Note: The narrow Pelješac Peninsula (called the Sabbioncello peninsula in Italian) extends westward some 70 km (44 mi) from an isthmus at Ston. It is an odd feature of Balkan political geography that the mainland coast north of the Pelješac is not entire Croatian; there is a small strip of Bosnian coastline surrounding the town of Neum. In October 2007, construction began on a bridge from Croatian territory west of Neum across the Mali Ston channel to the peninsula, which would provide a physical connection between the Dubrovnik area and the rest of Croatia for the first time. However, construction on the bridge has halted in the face of financial problems and Bosnian opposition.
Lirica (2)
Date unknown (station established 1911). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. 14 m (46 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery, painted white, mounted atop a round masonry tower. A closeup and a view from the sea are available, Trabas has a very distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island off a promontory about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Trstenik, on the south coast of the peninsula. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-086; Admiralty E3560; NGA 13980.
Osičac (Rt Osičac)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with gallery, painted white. Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on Rt Osičac, marking the north side of the western entrance to the Pelješki Kanal (Pelješki Channel) separating the Pelješac Peninsula from the island of Korčula. There does not appear to be any road access to the site. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-108; Admiralty E3486.5; NGA 13828.
Rt Lovište (Lovišće) {Capo Gomens} (1)
1874. Inactive since around 1930. 11 m (36 ft) square stone tower attached to the front of a keeper's house. Lantern removed. A distant view from the sea is available, and Google has a clear satellite view. This lighthouse was in service in 1920, but the light had been moved to a new tower (next entry) by 1937. The keeper's house probably remained in service until recent years. Located on Rt Lovište at the extreme western tip of the Pelješac Peninsula. There does not appear to be any road access to the station. Site status unknown.
Rt Lovište (Lovišće) {Capo Gomens} (2)
Date unknown (station established 1874). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with gallery, painted white. Martin Pasteiner has a closeup, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the extreme tip of Rt Lovište. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-088; Admiralty E3488; NGA 13820.
Rt Blaca (1)
1885. Inactive. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical unpainted stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the seaward side of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The active light (focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 5 s) is on a 7 m (23 ft) white post mounted on the boat landing of the lighthouse. M. Bagyinszky's photo is at right, a closeup photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The keeper's house is partly unroofed and falling into ruin. Located on Rt Blaca, a promontory on the north side of the peninsula, about 3 km (1.8 mi) northwest of Brijesta. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-032; Admiralty E3522; NGA 13804.
Rt Blaca Light
Rt Blaca Light, Brijesta, June 2010
Panoramio photo by M. Bagyinszky; permission requested

Split-Dalmatia County Lighthouses

Otok Vis Lighthouses
Note: Vis, also known as Issa or Lissa in Italian, is an inhabited island about 15 km (9 mi) southwest of Hvar. Like Hvar and Brac, it is a popular resort accessible by ferries from Split.
Viska Luka (Host) {Porto San Giorgio}
Date unknown (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 4 s. 11 m (36 ft) octagonal stone tower attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. Plovput's page has photos, a 2008 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse has been renovated for vacation accommodations. Located on the small island of Host in the entrance to the harbor of Vis, on the north side of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty E3436; NGA 13680.
Rt Stončica {Punta Promontore}
1865. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white flash every 15 s. 28 m (92 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-story keeper's house. A photo is at right, Plovput has an excellent closeup by Gordana Visic, a photo taken from the sea is available, Trabas has an aerial photo by Tješimir Marić, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse functions as a landfall light for the Split region. Located on Rt Stončica, the eastern tip of Vis. It's not clear if the lighthouse can be reached by road, although it can probably be reached by hiking. There are also boat tours that visit the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-146; Admiralty E3432; NGA 13672.
Rt Stupišće
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (56 ft) (?); three white flashes every 12 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower, unpainted. The focal plane seems too high, based on the photo. Kruno Bejuk has a sunset photo, Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the southwestern tip of Otok Vis. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-150; Admiralty E3443; NGA 13700.
Stoncica Light
Stončica Light, Vis
Plovput photo
Mali Barjak (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical stone tower, unpainted. Lightphotos.net has a closeup photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was on a skeletal tower. Located on Mali Barjak, a rocky islet off the northwestern tip of Otok Vis. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-028; Admiralty E3440; NGA 13692.

Otok Hvar Lighthouses
Note: The island of Hvar, known as Pharia in ancient times, is long and narrow, stretching some 80 km (50 mi) due east and west south of Brač. Enjoying a mild climate, the island is a very popular resort.
* Sućuraj {Punta San Giorgio} (2)
1912 (station established 1874). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-1/2 story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone; lantern painted white. In the photo at right, the view is from the cape to the mountains of the mainland 5 km (3 mi) to the north. A photo is at right, a nice view and another good photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Rt Sućuraj at the easternmost tip of Hvar; there's a good view from ferries sailing between Sućuraj and Drvenik on the mainland. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-151; Admiralty E3490; NGA 13664.
Rt Podšćedro (Otok Šćedro)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); flash every 6 s, white or red depending on direction. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located near the western tip of Otok Šćedro, an island about 8 km (5 mi) long off the south coast of Otok Hvar. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty E3446; NGA 13712.
Pokonji Dol (Hvar)
1872. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 4 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, centered on the roof of a 2-story stone keeper's house. Trabas has a photo by Ulrich Knapp, another photo is available, as well as a third photo and a view from the beach on Hvar, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a tiny island about 4 km (2.5 mi) southeast of Hvar harbor; ships arriving in Hvar from the Adriatic must pass close to the island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS CRO-119; Admiralty E3410; NGA 13612.
Gališnik (Galešnik)
Date unknown (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green flash every 6 s. 9 m (20 ft) square masonry tower, painted white. A photo is available, Wikimedia has a view from the sea, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on Otočić Gališnik, a small island lying to the south of the harbor of the town of Hvar, on the southwest coast of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-048; Admiralty E3406; NGA 13600.
Otok Vodnjak Veli (Pakleni Otoci)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); white flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) hexagonal cylindrical unpainted white stone tower. Trabas has a view from the sea by Ulrich Knapp, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a small island, the westernmost of the Pakleni archipelago, about 10 km (6 mi) west of Hvar. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E3431.5; NGA 13592.
Sućuraj Light
Sućuraj Light, Hvar, August 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by vacation2
Pelegrin (Rt Pelegrin) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1909). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 8.5 m (28 ft) round iron tower, painted white and mounted on a masonry base. A closeup photo is available, Trabas has a photo by Ulrich Knapp, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was described as a red conical tower. Located on Rt Pelegrin, the western tip of Hvar, about 3 km (2 mi) west of Vira. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-113; Admiralty E3404; NGA 13596.
* Jelsa {Gelsa} North Mole
1871. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); green flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal cylindrical stone tower with a conical iron top; the light is displayed atop the cone. Tower painted white, cone green. A photo and a closeup are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater mole at the entrance to Jelsa, a port on the north side of Hvar; there's a good view from ferries arriving from Split or from Bol or Milna on Otok Brač. Accessible by walking the mole. Admiralty E3428; NGA 13656.

Otok Brač Lighthouses
Note: Brač, the third largest island of the Croatian coast, is separated from the mainland to the north by the Brač Channel and from the island of Hvar to the south by the Hvar Channel. The island was called Brattia in Roman times and Brazza in Italian. There is a permanent population of about 14,000. The island is readily accessible by ferry from Split.
* Sveti Nikola (Pučišća) {Pucisce} (2)
Date unknown (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 5 s. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one corner of a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. A Plovput photo is at right, Burkhard has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, a view from the sea is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Note that this is one of several Sv. Nikola lights in Croatia. The light here was shown originally from a church tower; ruins of the church can be seen near the present lighthouse. Located on Rt Sv. Nikola, marking the west side of a narrow bay leading to Pučišća, a town on the north side of Otok Brač. The lighthouse appears to be accessible by road from the town. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-209; Admiralty E3380; NGA 13556.
Rt Rašćatna (Lašćatna)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical stone tower, painted white. A 2008 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. There does not appear to be any land access to the lighthouse. Located at the eastern tip of Otok Brač. Site status unknown. Admiralty E3392; NGA 13564.
* Sumartin {Port St. Martino}
1881. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical tower attached to a small 1-story keeper's cottage. Lighthouse painted white. A 2008 closeup and a view from the sea are available, but Bing has only a distant satellite view of the area. Located on the east side of the entrance to the harbor of Sumartin, which faces the Hvarski Kanal (Hvar Channel) on the southeast side of Otok Brač. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-153; Admiralty E3396; NGA 13568.
Sveti Nikola Light
Sveti Nikola Light, Pučišća
Plovput photo
* Bol
1882. Active; focal plane 7.5 m (25 ft); green flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with a domed top; the light is mounted atop the dome. Lighthouse unpainted; dome painted green. A photo and a second photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the main pier at Bol, a port on the central south coast of Otok Brač. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E3400; NGA 13576.
Rt Ražanj {Punta Speo}
1875. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft) white flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the seaward side of a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. This is a staffed station. Larry Myhre's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo by Ulrich Knapp, an excellent photo and a 2008 photo are available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Rt Ražanj, the southwestern tip of Otok Brač, guarding the narrow passage between the islands of Brač and Šolta about 3 km (2 mi) west of Milna. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-129; Admiralty E3342; NGA 13528.
[Mrduja (Murduja)]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green flash every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) post. Larry Myhre has a good photo, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Ruins surrounding the light appear to be those of a former lighthouse but are actually ruins of a 19th century fort. Located on a small island, about 2 km (1.25 mi) north of Rt Ražanj, lighting the northern entrance to the narrow passage between the islands of Brač and Šolta. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-099; Admiralty E3340; NGA 13524.
Rt Bijaca (Milna)
1881. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with gallery and a small lantern. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone. A good photo is available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on Rt Bijaca, a headland on the north side of the entrance to Milna, at the west end of Otok Brač. Site status unknown. ARLHS CRO-031; Admiralty E3344; NGA 13532.
* Postira
1885. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red flash every 2 s. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical stone tower topped by a dome; the light is displayed from atop the dome. Tower painted white, dome red. A 2008 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater mole at Postira, on the central north coast of Otok Brač. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E3370; NGA 13552.
Rt Razanj Light
Rt Ražanj Light, Brač, May 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre

Šolta Lighthouse
Rt Livka
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) post centered on a square 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Post painted red, building white. Trabas has a photo by Ulrich Knapp, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the eastern tip of Šolta, an island separated from Brač by the very narrow Split Strait. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-087; Admiralty E3338; NGA 13520.

Makarska Area Lighthouse
* Sveti Petar
1884. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a square 1-story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse is unpainted gray stone; lantern painted white. The keeper's house is available for vacation accommodations. Wesley Bowler's photo appears at the top of this page, Trabas has a closeup photo, another photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Makarska is a very popular resort town on the mainland coast opposite Sumartin, Otok Brač. The lighthouse is located on the tip of a forested peninsula within walking distance of the town waterfront. Site open, tower open only to paying guests. ARLHS CRO-168; Admiralty E3388; NGA 13580.

Split Lighthouses
* Pomorac
1958. Reactivated (inactive 1991-2013); focal plane 54 m (177 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 38 m (152 ft) square cylindrical concrete obelisk. Duje Radović has a good photo, a more distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. The Yugoslav government built this monument as a memorial to the country's seamen. It carried a powerful navigational light. The tower was damaged by shelling during the fighting at the time of Yugoslavia's dissolution in 1991. Local civic groups helped repair the tower during 2003-06, and the light was relit after a more complete restoration in 2012-13. Located on the Split waterfront near the base of the breakwater. Site open, tower closed. HRV-563; Admiralty E3348.2.
* Split {Spalato} Breakwater (2)
1888 (station established 1878). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story stone equipment building. Lighthouse painted green. Larry Myhre's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, Dan Zinc has a closeup, Klaus Huelse has a historic postcard image, and Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house was demolished when the breakwater was reconstructed in 1999. Located at the end of the main breakwater protecting the harbor of Split. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E3349; NGA 13408.

Drvenik Mali Lighthouses
Pasika (Rt Pasika, Drvenik Mali) {Zirona Piccola}
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal stone tower on a concrete base. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Rt Pasika, a promontory on the north side of the island of Drvenik Mali, marking the south side of the passage through the Drvenicki Kanal. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-112; Admiralty E3295; NGA 13352.
Murvica (Velika Murvica)
1896. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red light, 2 s on, 6 s off. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story stone keeper's house. Fog siren (4 s blast every 30 s). A photo is available, Trabas has a distant view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a small island in the Drvenički Kanal, the channel between the island of Drvenik Mali and the mainland; this channel is the beginning of the approach to the port of Split from the west. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CRO-007; Admiralty E3294; NGA 13348.
Split Breakwater Light
Split Breakwater Light, Split, May 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Central Croatia | East: Bosnia and Herzegovina | South: Montenegro

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted October 9, 2006. Checked and revised December 13, 2013. Lighthouses: 46. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.