Lighthouses of India: Andhra Pradesh

This page lists lighthouses of Andhra Pradesh, a large state occupying the central portion of India's east coast. This coastline, facing the Bay of Bengal, is almost everywhere low and sandy, with numerous offshore shoals. The largest port in the state is Vishakhapatnam (often called Vizag for short), but there are many smaller ports.

Large parts of this coast are well off the usual routes of foreign tourists. Photos of many of the lighthouses of this region are needed.

India was part of the British Empire until 1947, so the lighthouse heritage is British. However, only a fraction of the original British lighthouses remain in use; new towers have been built at most of the stations. India has also built many lighthouses at new locations in recent years. Lighthouses and aids to navigation in India are administered by the Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships (DGLL), an agency of the Ministry of Shipping. Lighthouses of the Srikakulam District of northernmost Andhra Pradesh are maintained by the Kolkata Directorate of DGLL; the remaining lighthouses of Andhra Pradesh are maintained by the Vishakhapatnam Directorate.

Neraly all of the larger Indian lighthouses are staffed, and by long tradition the staff will receive visitors at a specific time, usually late in the afternoon. Several lighthouses have been developed as tourist attractions and have longer hours.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume F of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Aids to Navigation - Kolkata Region and Vishakhapatnam Region
Lighthouse information from DGLL, including photos for most of the lighthouses.
World of Lighthouses - India
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in India
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
Online List of Lights - India
Coming soon: photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Indian Lighthouses
Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme Asiens auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.


Dolphin's Nose Light, Vishakhapatnam, May 2014
Panoramio photo copyright Abraham Mallela; permission requested

Srikakulam District Lighthouses
* Baruva (3?)
2012 (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane unknown; two white flashes every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern painted red. Santosh Allada has a 2015 photo, and Google has a satellite view. The previous light was mounted "on port flagstaff," according to NGA, although there does not appear to be an active port at Baruva. This light was deactivated in 2003 and there was no light until the new lighthouse was activated. An 1889 Bay of Bengal Pilot describes an unlit "column," painted with black and white bands, at Baruva. The modern lighthouse stands next to the Haritha Beach Resort. Site presumably open, tower closed. Admiralty F0985; NGA 26951.
* Kalingapatnam (2)
1982 (station established 1877). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) hexagonal cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Gowtham Kambhampati has a 2016 photo, we have a DGLL photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at Kalingapatnam, a beach resort town about 30 km (19 mi) east of Srikakulam at the mouth of the Vamsadhara River. Accessible by road. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-036; Admiralty F0982; NGA 26956.
* Kalingapatnam (1)
1877 (inactive since at least 1982). 20 m (66 ft) square stone tower; lantern removed. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was abandoned when it was covered by a moving sand dune. The dune has now passed on, revealing the old tower. Located about 3 km (2 mi) south of the active lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.

Vizianagaram District Lighthouse
Santapille (Santhapalli) (3)
1903 (station established 1840). Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 22 m (72 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal black and white bands; lantern dome painted red. Dayal Saran has a closeup 2016 photo, we have a DGLL photo; the lighthouse and several station buildings are seen in a Google satellite view. The original light, a temporary structure on the beach, was destroyed by a typhoon. Ruins of the second (1849) lighthouse, which had a light tower attached to a keeper's house, can also be seen. According to DGLL, remains of a primitive 18th century Dutch lighthouse are found 1.25 km (3/4 mi) northeast. Located about 50 km (30 mi) northeast of Bhimunipatnam. Site and tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-061; Admiralty F0980; NGA 26960.

Vishakhapatnam District Lighthouses
* Bhimunipatnam (Bheemili, Bheemunipatnam)
1903. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 9 s. 11 m (36 ft) masonry tower, painted white. A photo appears at right, Satya Josyula has a photo, Matt Kutsch also has a good photo, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The lighthouse is endangered; in January 2013 it was announced that this historic lighthouse will be demolished and replaced. A blogger (no longer online) reported that as of November 2014 this had not yet occurred. No evidence of a new tower was seen in early 2017. The 2015 NGA List changed the tower height from 36 ft to 75 ft, although the other data remains unchanged. Located near the port office in Bhimunipatnam (Bheemili), a seaport at the mouth of the river Gosthani about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Vishakhapatnam. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-023; Admiralty F0978; NGA 26964.

Bhimunipatnam Light, Bhimunipatnam, June 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by vizag (no longer online)
** Vishakhapatnam (2)
1960 (station established 1903). Inactive since 2008. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Nadir Aziz has a good photo, Prithvi Poosapati has a photo, Angela Vesna has a more distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Lantern removed; there is an observation platform with a telescope atop the tower. This lighthouse replaced the historic lighthouse in the harbor area (next entry). In 2004, the site was donated to the Vishakhapatnam Urban Development Authority (VUDA) and developed as a children's beach park called the Kids Pride Adventure Park, part of a larger Vuda Park. In early 2011 VUDA announced a plan for a new hotel on the property. This caused alarm among preservationists, but the hotel developers have promised to maintain public access to the lighthouse. Located on the beach road near the Park Hotel in the northeastern part of Vishakhapatnam. Site and tower open. ARLHS IND-066; ex-Admiralty F0973.
* Vishakhapatnam (1)
1903. Inactive since 1962. 18 m (59 ft) round stone tower with lantern. Tower painted red with white trim. A photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. The abandoned lighthouse has been in very poor condition. One 2009 visitor found the lighthouse to be a hangout for drug dealers. In 2012, however, the Vishakhapatnam Port Trust transferred the building to Visakha Container Terminal Pvt. Ltd.(VCTPL), and that company announced plans to restore and relight the lighthouse in 2013. The company contributed the photo at right, which was taken as the restoration neared completion in 2014. Satya Josyula has a photo taken a month earlier, before the tower was painted red. Forand has a historic postcard view, and Huelse has a second postcard view. In June 2015 public tours of the lighthouse were conducted for the first time. In 2016 the port announced plans to add a maritime museum adjacent to the lighthouse. Located off Beach Road on the slope above the VCTPL terminal. Site and tower generally closed (private property) but may be open for tours; check locally. Owner/site manager: Visakha Container Terminal Pvt. Ltd.
* Vishakhapatnam Sector
Date unknown. Inactive since 2015. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) skeletal tower (possibly a communications tower). The tower is at the upper right in a photo of the port by John Shankar, and Google has a satellite view. This tower shows a complex pattern of lights marking both the entrance channel and an internal channel of the harbor. Located on the south side of the entrance to the inner harbor of Vishakhapatnam. Site status unknown, but the tower is easily seen many places in the harbor area. ex-Admiralty F0974.4; NGA 26980.
** Dolphin's Nose (4)
1957 (station established 1874). Active; focal plane 173 m (568 ft); white flash every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal black and white bands; lantern dome painted red. Abraham Mallela's photo is at the top of this page, John Shankar has a photo, we have a DGLL photo, the lighthouse can be seen atop the rock in a distant view of the headland, and Google has a satellite view of the station. A light was displayed at the nearby fort as early as 1874, but there was no proper lighthouse until about 1905. The first lighthouse at the present site was built in 1940. The Dolphin's Nose is a huge rocky headland, which is quite a rarity on this coast. It is claimed locally that the light can be seen 64 km (40 mi) at sea; NGA lists the range as 32 nautical miles, which is 59 km (37 mi). Located about 8 km (5 mi) south of Vishakhapatnam. Site open, lighthouse reported open on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. ARLHS IND-032; Admiralty F0970; NGA 26972.
Vishakhapatnam Light
1903 Vishakhapatnam Light, April 2014
photo copyright Visakha Container Terminal; used by permission

Gangavarem Range Front
2009. Active; focal plane about 18 m (59 ft); quick-flashing white light. 14 m (46 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located in the huge Vizag Steel plant on the south side of the Dolphin's Nose. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Vizag Steel. Admiralty F0969.2; NGA 27010.
Gangavarem Range Rear
2009. Active; focal plane about 35 m (115 ft); quick-flashing white light. 29 m (95 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located 550 m (1/3 mi) west of the front light. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Vizag Steel. Admiralty F0969.21; NGA 27010.5.
Pudimadaka (Pudi Madaka) (2)
1991 (station established 1971). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 26 m (85 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Sivakodandarao Yeripalli has a 2017 photo, we have a DGLL photo, and Google has a satellite view. The history of this station is not clear, but apparently the present tower was built in 1991. Located on a sandy promontory at Pudi Madaka, about 55 km (35 mi) southwest of Vishakhapatnam. Site and tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-054; Admiralty F0968; NGA 27012.

East Godavari District (Kakinada Area) Lighthouses
Note: Between the cities of Machilipatnam and Kakinada is the broad, fan-shaped delta of the Godavari River, which drains a large part of the Deccan Plateau in central India. North of the delta, the trend of the coastline is northeast-southwest; south of the delta it is north-south.
Pentakota
1957. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 15 s. 18 m (59 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal black and white bands; lantern dome painted red. We have a DGLL photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at Pentakota, about 12 km (7.5 mi) southeast of Tuni and 40 km (25 mi) north of Kakinada. Site and tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-051; Admiralty F0966; NGA 27016.
Vakalapudi (2)
1879 (station established 1868). Inactive since 2005. Approx. 28 m (89 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Thyaga Raju has a photo of both Vakalapudi lighthouses, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the entrance to Kakinada Bay. In 2003 it was reported that the lighthouse was to be demolished and replaced, but there was interest in preserving it, and it was not taken down. Located at Vakalapudi about 12 km (7.5 mi) north of Kakinada. Site status unknown. ARLHS IND-065.
* Vakalapudi (3)
2005 (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and double gallery. Lighthouse painted with horizontal red and white bands. A DGLL photo is at right, Thyaga Raju has a photo of both Vakalapudi lighthouses, there's a closeup of the top of the tower, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the mainland side of the entrance to the bay of Kakinada, which is sheltered by a long, curving sand spit. Located at Vakalapudi about 12 km (7.5 mi) north of Kakinada. ARLHS IND-064; Admiralty F0964; NGA 27020.
Kakinada Bay Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); quick-flashing white light. 16 m (52 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, mounted on a square platform. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located in the bay about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) southeast of the Kakinada Deepwater Port. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F0959.
Kakinada Bay Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 31 m (102 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, mounted on a square platform. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located in the bay 900 m (0.56 mi) southwest of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F0959.1.
Hope Island (Godavari Point)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round tower with gallery and an external spiral stairway. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. Sai Prabhakar Varanasi has a photo, Chandra Mouli Pasagadugula has a 2017 photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Hope Island (really a spit, although portions of it may be awash) is the 25 km (15 mi) long, curving barrier that protects the Bay of Kakinada. Rapid erosion, exacerbated by channel dredging, has endangered the lighthouse. Located at the end of the spit, opposite the Vakalapudi lighthouses. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F0960; NGA 27024.
Vakalipudi Light
2005 Vakalapudi Light, Vakalapudi
DGLL photo
Godavery (Godavari, Hope Island) (2)
1868 (station establish 1817). Originally this was a 30 m (100 ft) octagonal masonry tower. The tower is now in ruins; about half its height remains. Wikimedia has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Note: the Wikimedia photo identifies the lighthouse as Konaseema, a name for this region of the Godavari delta. Located in what is now a mangrove swamp at the south end of the Bay of Kakinada. Site open but rarely visited, tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-034.
Sacramento (Karavaka) (1)
Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 35 m (115 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower; lantern removed. A 2016 photo taken from the gallery of the new lighthouse is available, and Google has a good satellite view. Located next to the new lighthouse (next entry).
Sacramento (Karavaka) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1895). Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); white flash every 5 s. 45 m (148 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower unpainted; lantern dome painted red. Naga Kumar has a 2009 photo, we have a DGLL photo, and Google has a good satellite view. This is one of the tallest lighthouses of British India; it marks a sandy cape south of the mouth of the Vrudha Godavari, the northernmost mouth of the river. The mouth of the river has moved southward over the years, taking the location of the cape with it. In 1817, one of the first lighthouses of British India, an 18 m (60 ft) stone tower, was built at Cape Godavery (as it was then called). This was replaced with a 30.5 m (100 ft) tower in 1868. The site of these lighthouses, about 18 km (11 mi) north of the present station, has apparently gone to sea. Located on a point of land about 60 km (38 mi) south of Kakinada. Reported accessible by a walk of about 2 km (1.2 mi) from the village of Bojjovarepeta. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-059; Admiralty F0958; NGA 27032.
Ravva (Rava) Port
2015. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. Approx. 29 m (95 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. An Indian Notice to Mariners describes the lighthouse as white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Ravva is a new port serving the offshore Ravva oil field. Located about 50 km (30 mi) northeast of Antervedi. Site status unknown. Admiralty F0957.5.
* Antervedi (Narsapur, Narasapur)
1971. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); two white flashes every 15 s.26 m (85 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Tandavakrishna Tungala's photo is at right, we have a DGLL photo, Srinivas Basava has a 2015 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on Narsapur Point on the east side of the mouth of the Vasishta Godavari, the southern branch of the Godavari, about 20 km (13 mi) south of Narsapur (Narasapuram). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-021; Admiralty F0957; NGA 27040.
[Narsapur Point]
Date unknown. Inactive. Ruined brick (?) beacon atop a square masonry tower. Tandavakrishna Tungala has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a shoal off Narsapur Point, on the west side of the mouth of the Vasishta Godavari. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.

Antervedi Light, Krishna District, January 2012
Panoramio photo copyright Tandavakrishna Tungala
used by permission

Krishna District Lighthouses
Note: The Krishna District includes the delta of the Krishna River, India's fourth largest river. During the colonial period the river's name was also spelled Kistna.
Machilipatnam Entrance (?)
Date unknown. Inactive at least since 2007. 18 m (59 ft) square skeletal tower atop a square masonry tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The Admiralty reported the lighthouse to be "destroyed" in 2007, but apparently it is still standing. Located in wetlands about 4 km (2.5 mi) southeast of Machilipatnam and 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west of the Machilipatnam River entrance. Site status unknown. ARLHS IND-042; ex-Admiralty F0956; ex-NGA 27048.
* Machilipatnam (Manginapudi Beach, Masulipatnam) (4)
1984 (station established 1858). Active; focal plane 51 m (167 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 45 m (148 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and two galleries, painted with horizontal black and white bands; lantern dome painted red. We have a DGLL photo, Roopesh Kohad has a good photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The great tsunami of 26 December 2004 swept away hundreds of people on the beach and reached the base of the lighthouse, but the tower was not damaged. The original light was on a flagstaff; this lighthouse replaced a much shorter tower built in 1930. Located behind Manginapudi Beach, about 15 km (9 mi) northeast of Machilipatnam. Accessible by road. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-043; Admiralty F0955; NGA 27044.
Nagayalanka (Kistna River) (2)
1972 (station established 1902 but inactive 1940-1955). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); one long (1.2 s) white flash every 15 s. 37 m (121 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white spiral bands. Tandavakrishna Tungala's 2012 photo is at right, Tandava Krishna Pidikiti has a 2015 photo, we have a DGLL photo, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse replaced an older light known as Kistna or False Devil Point; the old tower was demolished and its bricks used to build retaining walls protecting the approach to the new light. Lighthouse Digest has I.C.R. Prasad's account of a severe tropical cyclone that flooded the station in November 1977. Located on the east side of the mouth of the Krishna River south of the village of Nagayalanka. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-046; Admiralty F0953; NGA 27052.

Guntur District Lighthouse

Note: The southern coast of Andhra Pradesh (starting from this area) is part of the Coromandel Coast, which extends southward through the state of Tamil Nadu.
* Nizampatnam (Nizamapatnam) (3)
2004 (station established 1860, but inactive 1940-1958 and 1968-2004). Active; characteristics unknown. 30 m (98 ft) round tower with lantern and double gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. A 2008 photo and a 2009 photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was activated in July 2004. Located next to the port office at Nizampatnam, about 15 m (9 mi) east of Bapatla. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-047; Admiralty F0952.8; NGA 27054.

Nagayalanka Light, Krishna District, January 2012
Panoramio photo copyright Tandavakrishna Tungala
used by permission

Prakasam District Lighthouses
* Vodarevu (Chirala)
2002. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. Sambasiva Rao has a 2010 photo of the lighthouse in action, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse was the first in India built using a new technique called slip-form construction, which shortens construction time dramatically. Lighthouse Digest has I.C.R. Prasad's November 2002 article on the lighthouse. Located at Vodarevu, a relatively new port being developed about 7 km (4 mi) southeast of Chirala. Site open, tower probably closed. ARLHS IND-067; Admiralty F0952.9; NGA 27055.
* Ramayapatnam (Ramaypatnam) (2)
2005 (station established 1982). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white flash every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Yespear Kay has a closeup photo, we have a DGLL photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse and the next several to the south stand on the northern Coromandel Coast, a low shore devastated by the great tsunami of 26 December 2004. There was a news report that the "oldest lighthouse at Ramayapatnam" collapsed in the waves; presumably this was the 1982 tower. Located at Ramayapatnam, a fishing village about 25 km (15 mi) north of Kavali. Accessible by road. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-057; Admiralty F0952.5; NGA 27056.

Nellore District Lighthouses
Iskapalli (Iskapallipalem, Isakapalle)
2008. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Google has a good satellite view. This new lighthouse is located at the village of Isakapalli in the Repalle municipality, north of Nellore. Site status unknown. Admiralty F0952.3; NGA 27057.
Krishnapatnam (2)
1978 (station established 1938). Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal black and white bands. A DGLL photo is at right, Eric Willems has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in an industrial area at Krishnapatnam, a former fishing village where private interests have developed port facilities, about 40 km (25 mi) southeast of Nellore. Accessible by road. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-040; Admiralty F0952; NGA 27060.
Krishnapatnam Range Front
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained?); focal plane about 28 m (92 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) skeletal mast. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is the entrance range for the Krishnapatnam port. Located on the south side of the harbor. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F0952.15.
Krishnapatnam Range Rear
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained?); focal plane about 40 m (131 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 40 m (131 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower. The tower is visible to the right of center in Daniel Wesley's distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located in wetlands on the south side of the harbor, about 600 m (3/8 mi) west of the front light. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F0952.151.
Armagon Shoal (1)
1853. Inactive 1928-1938 and since 1983. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower mounted on a square 1-story concrete base. The tower was originally painted white, but little paint remains. The lighthouse was abandoned in 1928 because the site was unhealthy and keepers quickly became ill with malaria. It was reopened a decade later after surrounding marshes were drained. Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was built to warn ships away from the shoal, which is about 11 km (7 mi) offshore. In 1983 the tower, originally 30 m (98 ft) in height, was reduced in height to support the station's water tank.

Krishnapatnam Light, Krishnapatnam
DGLL photo
Armagon Shoal (2)
1983 (station established 1853). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white flash every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Prasannakumar Uppala has a 2017 photo, we have a DGLL photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a barrier beach about 11 km (7 mi) south of Durgarajupatnam and 25 km (15 mi) north of India's spacecraft launch facilities at Sriharikota. Site status unknown. ARLHS IND-022; Admiralty F0951; NGA 27064.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Divi Point (1851-?), Krishna River delta about halfway between the modern Machilipatnam and Nagayalanka lighthouses. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1902 in favor of the Kistna River (Nagayalanka) lighthouse but it remained in use for years as a daybeacon. The tower was probably lost to beach erosion.
  • Masulipatnam (1870-?), Krishna River delta south of Machilipatnam. The original light was on a flagstaff of the fort, and in 1902 a white tower was built on the north side of the river entrance. This mouth of the Krishna has shoaled and is no longer navigable for anything other than very small craft. The lighthouse has disappeared.

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: West Bengal and Odisha | South: Tamil Nadu and Puducherry

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted January 20, 2006. Checked and revised February 28, 2017. Lighthouses: 35. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.