Lighthouses of India: Western Gujarat

This page lists lighthouses of India's coastline on the northern end of the Arabian Sea, including the western part of the large state of Gujarat. This includes the Porbandar and Jamnagar districts at the western end of the Kathiawar peninsula as well as the Kachchh (Kutch) district on the north side of the Gulf of Kachchh.

The political history of this region is quite complex. In the British Empire of India, the majority of the modern territory of Gujarat was divided into numerous principalities that had control over local economic affairs. Several of these Indian states built lighthouses, including several that survive. After India became independent in 1947, Kachchh was established as a state and the Kathiawar peninsula was included in the state of Saurashtra. In 1956, Kachchh and Saurashtra were merged into the large state of Bombay, and then in 1960 Bombay state was divided, with its northern portion split off as the state of Gujarat. However, lighthouse administration has been under federal control since 1947.

Coastlines in this region are low and sandy, so tall lighthouses are needed at most locations. Much of the Gulf of Kachchh is shallow and difficult to navigate.

Lighthouses and aids to navigation in India are administered by the Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships (DGLL), an agency of the Ministry of Shipping.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume F of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
DGLL - Lighthouses
Lighthouse information from DGLL, including photos for most of the lighthouses. Select Jam Nagar or Gandhi Dham on the dropdown menu.
Lighthouses in Gujarat
Photos available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - India
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Indian Lighthouses
Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.

Dwarka Point Light
Dwarka Point Light, Dwarka, December 2008
Flickr photo copyright Tanmay Vora; used by permission

Porbandar District Lighthouses

* Navibandar (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1896). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern painted black with a red roof. The new lighthouse is not seen in Google's satellite view. The original light was on a corner of an 18th century fort, otherwise in ruins, that was restored for use as a lighthouse. This was apparently replaced by the small tower seen at the base of the new lighthouse in DGLL's photo. Located just off the coastal highway about 7 km (4.5 mi) southeast of Navibandar. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-153; Admiralty F0404; NGA 28284.
* Porbandar (2)
1983 (station established 1876). Active; focal plane 47 m (145 ft); white flash every 5 s. 41 m (135 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery; the lighthouse also has a large harbor control room encircling the tower about 1/3 of the way up from the ground. Lighthouse painted with horizontal black and white bands. Umang Dutt has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Porbandar is an important port and also a tourist attraction; it is the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi. This striking modern lighthouse replaced a 24 m (79 ft) sandstone tower on the waterfront; that tower may survive. Located 4 km (2.5 mi) east of the harbor of Porbandar. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-158; Admiralty F0400; NGA 28288.
* Navadra (Nawadra)
1986. Active; focal plane 55 m (180 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 35 m (115 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. DGLL's photo is at right, and Google has a good satellite view. This lighthouse was built to provide the first light for the long stretch of coastline between Porbandar and Dwarka. It stands isolated, surrounded by a large wind farm, about 500 m (0.4 mi) from a 25 m (80 ft) cliff. Located off the coastal highway 50 km (30 mi) southeast of Dwarka and the same distance northwest of Porbandar. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-152; Admiralty F0398; NGA 28296.

Jamnagar District Lighthouses

Dwarka and Okha Area Lighthouses
Note: These lighthouses are at the westernmost tip of the Kathiawar Peninsula and at the southern entrance to the Gulf of Kachchh.
*** Dwarka Point (2)
1962 (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 43 m (141 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house/harbor control center. Lighthouse painted with horizontal black and white bands. Tanmay Vora's photo is at the top of this page, a good 2007 photo is available, Anupam Mukherjee has a photo, Wikimedia has a distant view, and Bing has a good satellite view. This is the westernmost lighthouse of Saurashtra and a well-known tourist attraction. The original lighthouse, a shorter square masonry tower, was built by the native state of Baroda. Located at the end of the peninsula sheltering the west side of the harbor of Dwarka. Site open, tower open every evening. ARLHS IND-133; Admiralty F0396; NGA 28300.
Navadra Light
Navadra Light, Porbandar
DGLL photo
* Kachhigadh (2)
1983 (station established 1977). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Vedant Joshi has a 2012 photo, a closeup is available, Google has a satellite view. The station was established with a temporary light on a "cabin" in 1977. It marks the southern approach to the Gulf of Kachchh (Kutch). Located about 15 km (9 mi) north of Dwarka. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-142; Admiralty F0397; NGA 28304.
* Mithapur
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); continuous red light. 49.5 m (163 ft) building. The giant Tata Chemicals plant dominates Mithapur, and its main office building is almost certainly the location of the light. Google has a satellite view. Mithapur is about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of Okha. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F0393; NGA 28320.
* Okha (Vomani Point, Humani Point) (1)
1956. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); three white flashes every 25 s. 23 m (75 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Bing's satellite view shows a new round tower roughly 60 m (197 ft) tall built next to the historic lighthouse. A photo shows both towers. The new tower is probably for harbor control, and so far it appears that the light remains on the old tower. However, DGLL has posted a photo that shows the new tower only. Okha lies at the end of a north-pointing peninsula that defines the southern entrance to the Gulf of Kachchh (Kutch). After independence, western India lost the use of the port of Karachi, Pakistan, so it became important to develop port facilities in the Gulf. This lighthouse was the first major improvement to navigational aids in this development. Located on Vomani (Humani) Point near the tip of the peninsula, adjacent to a historic fort. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-014; Admiralty F0388; NGA 28312.
Samiyani Island (Okha Port)
1876. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); flash every 5 s, white or red depending on direction. 20 m (66 ft) round sandstone tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square stone base. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is red. A photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Built by the state of Baroda, this elegant and historic lighthouse marks the entrance to Okha harbor. It stands on an island 1.5 km (1 mi) north of Okha Point, the tip of the peninsula. Boat transportation to the island can be hired in Okha. Located in the center of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-018; Admiralty F0390; NGA 28308.
Samiyani Island North (4)
2002 (station established 1935). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green flash every 3 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, mounted on a concrete foundation. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. No current photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The original light on a skeletal tower was replaced by a concrete tower in 1957. That lighthouse, shown in the DGLL photo, was destroyed by a tropical cyclone on 9 June 1998. It was replaced by a temporary skeletal tower, and then by the present lighthouse, which probably resembles the 1957 tower. Located in the water just off the northeast tip of Samiyani Island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-163; Admiralty F0389; NGA 28316.
Bural Reef (Chanka Reef)
1979. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); quick-flashing white light. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with three galleries but no lantern, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The dangerous Bural Reef extends east northeast from Okha Point. Located about 25 km (15 mi) east northeast of Okha. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-126; Admiralty F0386.5; NGA 28328.
Samiyani Island Light
Samiyani Island Light, Okha, September 2008
Panoramio photo copyright rushir; used by permission
Chank Tapu (Chanka Island) (2)
1994 (station established 1934). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery, mounted on a large square concrete base. Google has a satellite view. Lighthouse painted white; the small lantern is red. Located at the northeastern end of the extensive Chanka Reef system, about 35 km (2 mi) east northeast of Okha. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F0386; NGA 28332.

Jamnagar Area Lighthouses
Kalubhar (Karumbhar) Island
1884. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 20 m (66 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is red. Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse, which marks the entrance to the harbor of Salaya, was built by the Indian state of Nawanagar. The tower was restored and increased in height in 1961. Located just off the west end of the island about 20 km (12.5 mi) north of Salaya. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-169; Admiralty F0384; NGA 28336.
Pirotan (Pirothan) Island (2)
1958 (station established 1898). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white flash every 20 s. 21 m (69 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal black and white bands. A photo is at right, Wikimedia has a sunrise photo by S. Ballal, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. A seawall protects this highly exposed lighthouse. Pirotan is the beginning of the approach to Bedi, the seaport of the city of Jamnagar. The native state of Nawanagar built the original lighthouse. Located on a small island 10 km (6 mi) northwest of Rozi. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-157; Admiralty F0380; NGA 28352.
* Rozi Port (Bedi Bandar, Bedi Bundar, Bedi) (3) (?)
Date unknown (station established 1867). Active (?). 18 m (59 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Yogesh Masuria has a 2011 photo, Tanmay Vora has a 2012 view from across the harbor, and Google has a satellite view. Prior to 1976, the light was displayed from the Rozimata temple nearby. A skeletal tower was built in 1987 and deactivated in 2006. Although this new lighthouse was built, no evidence has been found that it was ever lit. Located on the quay at Bedi Bandar, the seaport serving the city of Jamnagar. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-124; ex-Admiralty F0376; ex-NGA 28358.
#Rozi Kalvan (2)
1966 (station established 1927). Inactive at least since 2008. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower on a concrete base. Tower painted with horizontal black and white bands. No photo available. The tower is not seen in Google's satellite view, and it was dropped from the Admiralty list in 2008. This light is on the approach to Bedi. Located east of Rozi Island and about 6 km (3.5 mi) north of the Bedi waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-161; Admiralty F0374; NGA 28360.
Mungra Reef
1997. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower on a circular masonry pier. Tower painted red with one white horizontal band. The tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. The lighthouse marks a dangerous reef on the approach to Jodiya Bandar. It was rebuilt in 1999 after being heavily damaged by the tropical cyclone of June 9, 1998. Located in the Gulf of Kachchh about 12 km (7.5 mi) northwest of Jodiya Bandar. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-151; Admiralty F0367.8; NGA 28366.
* Jodiya Bandar (3)
2002 (station esablished 1903). Active; focal plane 31 m (102 ft); white flash every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) skeletal tower, painted white. No current photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The 1993 lighthouse was a cylindrical masonry tower with gallery attached to a small square 1-story equipment room. This lighthouse was destroyed by an earthquake in January 2001. The original lighthouse was a small cast iron tower purchased from Chance Brothers by the native state of Nawanagar. Located at Jodiya (Jodia), a small port on the upper Gulf of Kachchh. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-141; Admiralty F0368; NGA 28368.
Pirotan Island Light
Pirotan Island Light, Jamnagar, February 2000
Flickr photo copyright nex jon; permission requested

Kachchh (Kutch) District Lighthouses

Eastern Kachchh Lighthouses
Navlakhi (Navlakhi Bet, Kandla Port) (3)
Date unknown (station established 1932). Active; focal plane 30 m (198 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 30 m (98 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery; there is a small equipment room in the base of the tower. Tower painted with horizontal red and white bands. DGLL has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The light guides ships approaching the port facility at Navlakhi at the head of the Gulf of Kachchh. The original light was replaced in 1985 by a 24 m (79 ft) skeletal tower. The lighthouse was knocked out of service by the earthquake of 26 January 2001, but it was restored and returned to service the following month. Located on the northwestern tip of Navlakhi Island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-155; Admiralty F0370; NGA 28376.
Tekra
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 7 s. 14 m (46) "metal column" atop a masonry tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The light guides ships entering Kandla Port, a greatly expanded port facility at the head of the Gulf of Kachchh. Located on the west side of a creek entrance in the Kandla Port complex south of Anjar, near the head of the Gulf of Kachchh. Site status unknown. Admiralty F0366; NGA 28380.
* Bhadreswar (Nakti Creek)
2012. Active; focal plane 77 m (253 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 60 m (197 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and double gallery. Entire lighthouse is white. DGLL's photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. This light is mounted on a vessel traffic control tower. Located at Bhadreswar, a village about 30 km (19 mi) northwest of Mundra. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F0365; NGA 28378.
#Mundra New Port (Mitha Port) (3)
1985 (station established 1951). Inactive since 2011 and probably demolished. This was a 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical concrete column attached to a 1-story concrete equipment room. Google's satellite view does not show the light. A new port, sheltered from the summer monsoon winds, was developed at Mundra during the 1950s. In 1998-2001 a major new Mundra Port was developed by private interests. The original lighthouse was a skeletal tower. Located on the Mitha quay, a small boat quay within the Mundra port area. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-150; Admiralty F0364; NGA 28400.
Navinal (Navinar) Point (Mundra Port) (3)
Date unknown (station established 1892). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 28 m (92 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal black and white bands; lantern roof painted red. Bing has a satellite view. Navinal Point is a swampy point of land sheltering Mundra Creek; it is also the most prominent cape on the north side of the Gulf of Kachchh. Located about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of the Mundra Port development. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed (no public access to the point). ARLHS IND-154; Admiralty F0362; NGA 28396.
Bhadreswar Light
Bhadreswar Light, Mundra
DGLL photo

Mandvi and Western Kachchh Lighthouses
* Rawal Pir (3)
1969 (station established 1936). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); green flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical concrete column attached to a 1-story concrete equipment room. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available, but a Google satellite view probably shows this small light. The original light was mounted on the tomb of a Moslem ascetic known as the Pir. A separate tower was provided in 1947 and replaced in 1969. Located on a point of land at the east side of the entrance to Mandvi Creek and the harbor of Mandvi. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-160; Admiralty F0360; NGA 28404.
* Mandvi Breakwater (3)
1957 (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); red flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical concrete column attached to a 1-story concrete equipment room. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. The light is barely visible in a view from the Mandvi beach, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west breakwater at Mandvi Harbour. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-146; Admiralty F0358; NGA 28408.
* Mandvi (5)
2004 (?) (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 63 m (207 ft); three white flashes, separated by 5 s, every 30 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with two circular observation levels. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Imran Shaikh's photo is at right, DGLL has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The 1964 lighthouse was a cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery; that lighthouse was demolished after being heavily damaged by the earthquake of 26 January 2001. It was replaced by a skeletal tower until the present tower was built, apparently in 2004. The skeletal tower can be seen at the far right of Imran Shaikh's photo. Mandvi has been the major port of the Kachchh district for many centuries. The lighthouse is built on the historic Mandvi Fort, from which lights were often displayed when friendly ships were expected. Although DGLL dates the modern light station to 1873, Ken Trethewey's research indicated that the British built a lighthouse on the fort in 1856. Light lists indicate that a taller tower was built in 1889. In an awkward demolition, the 1889 tower was pulled over with cables to make way for the 1964 tower. Located near the waterfront in Mandvi. Site open, tower probably open but we have no information on this. ARLHS IND-145; Admiralty F0357; NGA 28411.
* Chhachhi (Kachchigadh) (2)
1964 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 31 m (102 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted with horizontal black and white bands; lantern roof painted red. DGLL has a photo that also shows the lighthouse and the much taller traffic control tower that has stood next to it since 2008; Google has a satellite view of the tow towers. This is an important lighthouse, marking the northern entrance to the Gulf of Kachchh. Located near the village of Chhachhi about 50 km (30 mi) north northwest of Mandvi. Site open, although roads in the area are poor; tower closed. ARLHS IND-015; Admiralty F0356; NGA 28416.
* Jakhau (3)
Date unknown (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); white flash every 10 s. 41 m (135 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. , No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. DGLL has a photo of the traffic control tower that stands next to the lighthouse. The original lighthouse here was replaced in 1964. This is both the northernmost and the westernmost lighthouse of India. It is a large light for a very small port, but it has strategic value, standing to the south of the disputed Rann of Kachchh area on the Pakistani frontier. Located on the main quay of Jakhau, a fishing port in western Kachchh. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-138; Admiralty F0355; NGA 28420.
Mandvi Light
Mandvi Light, Mandvi, November 2010
Panoramio photo copyright Imran Shaikh; used by permission

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Southern Gujarat | West: Pakistan

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 6, 2006. Checked and revised March 27, 2014. Lighthouses: 27. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.