Lighthouses of India: Goa and Maharashtra

This page lists lighthouses of the western coast of India in the states of Goa and Maharashtra, including the greater Mumbai (Bombay) area. This region includes the Konkan Coast, the most rugged section of the Indian coastline, where the mountains known as the Sahyādri or Western Ghats rise close behind the shore. The principal ports are Mumbai in the north and Goa in the south.

Many lighthouses of the Konkan Coast are rather poorly known and photos are scarce. If you travel to this area, any photos you might take of lighthouses would be very welcome.

Lighthouses and aids to navigation in India are administered by the Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships (DGLL), an agency of the Ministry of Shipping. However, lighthouses in the Mumbai area are maintained by the Mumbai Port Trust.

Many DGLL lighthouses on this coast are open for tours, but the staff conducts these tours only at specific times, usually in the late afternoon. Inquire locally for the schedule.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume F of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
DGLL - Lighthouses
Lighthouse information from DGLL, including photos for most of the lighthouses. Select Mumbai on the dropdown menu.
Lighthouses in India
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - India
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Indian Lighthouses
Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme Asiens auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Pharology - India
A history of early Indian lighthouses by Ken Trethewey.

Fort Aguada Light, Candolim, Goa, December 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Biplab Narendra

Lighthouses of Goa

Note: Goa, the principal territory of the former Portuguese India, remained under Portuguese control from the early 16th century until it was captured by Indian troops in 1961. In 1987 it became the 25th state of the Indian union.

South Goa District Lighthouses
St. George Island (Ilha de São Jorge) (2)
1977 (station established 1956). Active; focal plane 93 m (305 ft); four flashes every 20 s, white or red depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) slender round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery and an external stairway spiralling around the tower. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands. A view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. The original light was on a skeletal tower. Located on an island (Ilha de São Jorge) about 8 km (5 mi) south southwest of Marmagoa. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-112; Admiralty F0628; NGA 27768.
* Marmagoa (Mormugao, Mormugão) Breakwater
Date unknown (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); one long (1.5 s) flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 23 m (75 ft) 2-stage tower: the lower half is a hexagonal concrete or masonry tower with gallery, painted all white; the upper half is an hourglass-shaped fiberglass (?) tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. A 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Forand has a historic postcard view of the original 1900 tower. Located at the north end of the breakwater at Marmagoa; apparently accessible by walking the breakwater, but there should also be a good view from the ferry between Panaji and Marmagoa. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-101; Admiralty F0622; NGA 27760.

North Goa District Lighthouses
* Tejo Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); continuous red light. 12 m (39 ft) triangular pyramidal tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands; the tower has been extended with a skeletal tower atop the masonry section. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is an outbound range, guiding vessels leaving Panaji, the principal port of Goa. Located on the south side of the entrance to the Mandovi River. Site probably open, tower closed. Admiralty F0613.1; NGA 27792.
* Panaji Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 3 s. 22 m (72 ft) round cylindrical concrete or masonry tower, painted white. Razvan Dumitru has a photo, Aparna Balasubramanian has a 2010 photo, Wikimedia has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This is the front light of the entrance range for Panaji. Located on the south bank of the Mandovi River in front of the Kala Academy. Site probably open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-106; Admiralty F0610; NGA 27780.
Panaji Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 56 m (184 ft); white flash every 3 s. 11 m (36 ft) round white concrete tower centered on a square concrete base. The tower carries a triangular daymark painted white with a red vertical stripe. No photo available, clouds block Google's satellite view, and the tower is not seen in Bing's satellite view of the area. Located on a hill on the north side of the Mandovi River just west of the Mandovi Bridge, about 1.9 km (1.2 mi) northeast of the front light. Site status unknown. ARLHS IND-107; Admiralty F0610.1; NGA 27784.
* Reis-Magos (Raaj-Magus)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green flash every 1.5 s. 12 m (39 ft) round white stone tower. Olga Kenga has a 2013 photo, and Google has a satellite view. This light is a twin of the Aguada Point lighthouse (see below). Located in Betim, on the north bank of the Mandovi River about 500 m (0.3 mi) north of the 16th century Reis-Magos fort. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F0614; NGA 27796.
* Fort Aguada (Goa) (Range Rear)
1864. Inactive. 13 m (43 ft) round old-style stone tower, incorporating keeper's quarters, with lantern and gallery, painted white. Biplab Narendra's photo is at the top of this page, Wikimedia has several photos, and Google has a satellite view. This wonderful old building was in service as recently as the 1970s, but by 2005 it was abandoned and deteriorating. In recent years there have been repeated efforts to refurbish the historic building. In late 2005 and early 2006 the exterior of the lighthouse was patched and painted white, as seen in a March 2006 photo. This was an improvement, but Vineeth K. Bhat's May 2007 photo shows the lighthouse quickly reverting to its weathered appearance. Early in 2008 the lighthouse was once again patched and painted, but by December it was weathering again, as seen in Narendra's photo above. Ankit Khanna's June 2010 photo shows another repainting, and Pankaj Anand's August 2012 photo shows another cycle of weathering. The two lighthouses of Fort Aguada were paired as a range during the early 20th century. Located in Fort Aguada, an early 16th century fortification, about 10 km (6 mi) west of Panaji. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-170.
Fort Aguada (Goa) (Range Front) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 85 m (279 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 21 m (69 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof painted red. A 2009 photo is available, DGLL has a page for the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. Apparently this light was built originally as the front light of a range, with the old lighthouse (previous entry) as the rear light. It is not known when the range was discontinued. Located a short distance west of Fort Aguada. Site and tower closed, although the lighthouse can be viewed easily from the fort. ARLHS IND-069; Admiralty F0606; NGA 27772.
Aguada Point
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (86 ft); red flash every 3 s. 12 m (39 ft) (?) round stone tower with gallery; lantern removed. Tower painted white. Victoria Bensley's 2006 photo is at right, Jason Bourne's 2008 photo shows how the lighthouse has been extended in height, and the tower is centered in a Google satellite view. The listed height and focal plane do not seem to include the recent extension of the lighthouse. Located on the point below Fort Aguada, at the northern entrance to the Mandovi estuary and Panaji harbor. Site status unknown. ARLHS IND-070; Admiralty F0607; NGA 27776.

Aguada Point Light, Candolim, December 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Victoria Bensley

Lighthouses of Maharashtra

Sindhudurg District (Vengurla Area) Lighthouses
Note: This area begins the very scenic Konkan Coast, backed by the mountains known as the Western Ghats. Many areas of this coast are rarely visited and lack tourist facilities, so information on these lighthouses is needed.
* Vengurla Point (3)
1968 (station established 1869). Active; focal plane 82 m (269 ft); red flash every 5 s.13 m (43 ft) hexagonal cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern dome painted red. Kedar Sule's photo is at right, Jadye Vivek has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a seaside bluff at Vengurla. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-120; Admiralty F0600; NGA 27800.
Vengurla Rocks (Burnt Islands) (2)
1890 (station established 1870). Active; focal plane 49 m (161 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 21 m (69 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Vithoba Kerkar has an aerial photo, Madhukar Dhuri has a view from the sea, a travel agency has a page with photos, and Google has a good satellite view. The Vengurla Rocks are bare rocks best known as a breeding site for a rare bird, the Indian swiftlet. The original lighthouse was described as a white tower on a square building, with a focal plane height of 40 m (131 ft). Located in the Arabian Sea about 11 km (7 mi) off the coast and 20 km (13 mi) west northwest of Vengurla. Accessible only by boat; it may be possible to arrange transportation from Vengurla. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-009; Admiralty F0598; NGA 27804.
Malvan (Malwan) Bay Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); green flash every 3 s. 14 m (46 ft) square steel skeletal tower. Upper portion of the tower painted red, lower part white. The tower is at the far right in a photo by Swapneel Sarang; it is hard to find in Google's satellite view. This light guides local fishermen and is displayed only during fair weather when they are at sea. Lights were displayed at Malwan as early as 1878. Located behind the beach at Malvan, a village about 32 km (20 mi) north of Vengurla. Site status unknown. Admiralty F0596.1; NGA 27824.

Vengurla Point Light, Vengurla, March 2007
Flickr photo (no longer online) copyright Kedar Sule; used by permission
* Devgarh (Davgarh, Devgad) (2)
1958 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); four white flashes every 23 s. 11 m (36 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern dome painted red. Kothanda Srinivasan also has a photo, a distant view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse is built within the walls of a ruined early 18th century fortress. Located on a promontory at south side of the harbor entrance at Devgarh, about 80 km (50 mi) north of Vengurla. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-084; Admiralty F0590; NGA 27828.

Ratnagiri District Lighthouses
Wagapur (Ragapur, Wajapur, Tarapur) Point (2)
1958 (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); white flash every 15 s. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story concrete keeper's cottage. Lighthouse painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern dome painted red. Wikimapia has several photos, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 6.5 m (21 ft) tower. Located on the point at the south side of the entrance to Rajapur Bay, about 45 km (28 mi) west of Rajapur. An unpaved cart track leads to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-122; Admiralty F0586; NGA 27840.
** Ratnagiri (Rathnagiri) (3)
1965 (station established 1867). Active; focal plane 102 m (335 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern dome painted red. Kristina Hoeppner's photo is at right, Karishma Pais has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse, a 10 m (33 ft) masonry tower, was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1940. The lighthouse is within the walls of Ratnagiri Fort. Located on heights on the south side of the harbor at Ratnagiri. Accessible by road. Site open, tower open for tours in late afternoon. ARLHS IND-110; Admiralty F0580; NGA 27856.
*** Jaigarh (Jaigarh Head, Jaigad, Karateshwar) (3)
1933 (station established 1896). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 22 m (72 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Several 1-story keeper's houses. Vijay Nair has a photo, Paramantapa Dasgupta has a 2012 closeup, and Google has a good satellite view. The original light, mounted on a bastion of Jaigarh Fort, was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1899. Nilesh Korgaonkar has an account of a visit to the lighthouse in 1998; he found the lighthouse was not automated and keepers were still winding the clockwork rotating mechanism by hand. Located on a promontory about 50 km (30 mi) south of Guhagar. Site open, tower open in late afternoons daily except Sundays. ARLHS IND-087; Admiralty F0578; NGA 27868.

Ratnagiri Light, Ratnagiri, April 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Kristina D.C. Hoeppner
* Tolkeshwar Point (Dabhol) (3)
1958 (station established 1880). Active; focal plane 104 m (341 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern dome painted red. A closeup photo is at right, Dhananjay Sawant has a 2012 photo, a 2011 closeup is available (near the bottom of the page), there's also a 2010 photo, Nilesh Korgaonkar reports on a 1998 visit, and Bing has a satellite view. The original cast iron post light was replaced by a short masonry tower in 1934. Located on a high promontory near Dabhol, about 20 km (13 mi) north northwest of Guhagar. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS IND-117; Admiralty F0566; NGA 27888.
* Harnai Promontory
1912. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); red flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with gallery; the lantern has been replaced by a light on a short mast. The lighthouse was formerly painted white, but in photos it seems most of the paint has weathered off. Khalil Sawant has a 2008 closeup photo, Konkaninfo.com also has a closeup photo, a more distant view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located atop a narrow promontory, connected to the mainland by a causeway, on the north side of the harbor entrance at Harnai. Site probably open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-086; Admiralty F0564; NGA 27904.

Raigad District Lighthouses
Nanwell (Nanvell) Point (Rajpuri Point)
1964 (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 66 m (217 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 19 m (62 ft) octagonal masonry tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Wikimapia has photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was a 10.5 m (34 ft) white tower. In 1998 Nilesh Korgaonkar had a long hike from Nanvell to reach the lighthouse, where he had tea with the keepers. Located on a promontory at the southern entrance to the Rajpuri Creek estuary, about 80 km (50 mi) west of Mangaon. Site open but difficult to reach, tower may be open by arrangement with the keepers. ARLHS IND-104; Admiralty F0562; NGA 27908.
Tolkeshwar Point Light
Tolkeshwar Point Light, Dabhol, October 2012
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ankur P.
* Korlai Fort (Chaul)
1955. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); white flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the front of a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Tower painted with black and white horizontal bands; lantern dome painted red. A photo is at right, Mithila Rane has a photo, Vinit Maheshwari has a 2007 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Ruins of the early 16th century Korlai fort, built in a successful campaign to expel the Portuguese from Chaul, are on the hill above the lighthouse; a long stairway connects the fort and the light station. Located on a promontory on the north side of the entrance to Chaul, about 18 km (11 mi) south of Alibag and 40 km (25 mi) south of the Mumbai (Bombay) metropolitan area. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-081; Admiralty F0558; NGA 27928.
Chaul Kadu Reefs
1870. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); red flash every 3 s. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with gallery, painted white. Lantern removed. In front of the lighthouse is a prow-shaped masonry wall meant to break the force of any waves that might reach the tower. The lighthouse was built with a refuge room to shelter shipwrecked sailors. Bing has a satellite view. Located about 5 km (3 mi) offshore and about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of Alibag. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS IND-001; Admiralty F0557.6; NGA 27924.
* Alibag (Kolaba Fort, Kulaba Fort)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous light, white or green depending on direction. Short post light mounted on the southernmost bastion of the Kolaba Fort. The light is at the far left of a photo of the fort's southeastern wall, and Bing has a satellite view of the bastion. The Kolaba Fort is a famous 17th century Maratha stronghold, a center of resistance to British occupation. Located on an island about 2 km (1.25 mi) southwest of Alibag. A popular tourist destination, the fort is accessible by passenger ferry from Alibag. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F0557; NGA 27932.
Korlai Fort Light
Korlai Fort Light, Chaul, May 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Alewis2388
Kanhoji (Khanoji) Angre (Khanderi Island, Kennery Island)
1867. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cut stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 2-story keeper's house. 1st order Fresnel lens in use. The tower is unpainted; lantern painted white; lantern roof is gray metallic. NGA lists this tower at a height of 31 m (100 ft), but a photo shows a much shorter tower. An enclosed observation room has been built on the gallery. The Times of India has a slide show of a visit to the lighthouse, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Forand has a second postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Khanderi Island is also the site of a 17th century fort. The island is managed by the Mumbai Port Trust, which restricts entry to a few guided tours. The lighthouse has been renamed for Khanhoji Angre, an early 18th century Maratha admiral who used the island as a base to attack British and Portuguese ships along the west coast of India. In April 2013, it was announced that the station will be opened to visitors for the first time; a new jetty is being built to support regular tours from Mumbai. Located about 6 km (4.5 mi) offshore and 10 km (6 mi) northwest of Alibag. Site and tower generally closed, but open to tours from Mumbai; there is a very distant view from the mainland. Operator/site manager: Mumbai Port Trust. ARLHS IND-093; Admiralty F0556; NGA 27936
Gull Island
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white flash every 5 s. 19.5 m (64 ft) steel skeletal tower. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a small island about 5 km (3 mi) north of Mandve and 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Mumbai. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: Mumbai Port Trust. ARLHS IND-085; Admiralty F0515; NGA 27960.

Mumbai (Bombay) Area Lighthouses
Note: Mumbai (formerly called Bombay) is India's greatest port and most populous city. The historic and central portion of the city is located on Salsette Island, which is separated from the mainland by the city's harbor and an estuary called Thane Creek.
Butcher Island
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); four flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical brick tower with gallery, mounted on a concrete pier. A 2011 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located off the south side of Butcher Island, on the east side of Thane Creek. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager: Mumbai Port Trust. Admiralty F0549; NGA 28024.
Tucker (Tucker Patch)
1908. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, 3 s on, 2 s off. 21 m (69 ft) two-stage tower; the lower half is an octagonal cylindrical masonry tower with gallery, painted red; the upper half (added later) is a square skeletal tower, painted white. Shiva M. Misra has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a rock in Mumbai Harbour about 5 km (3 mi) northeast of Dolphin Rock. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager: Mumbai Port Trust. Admiralty F0546; NGA 28004.
Dolphin Rock
1850. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); four flashes every 20 s, white to the east northeast and red in other directions. 13 m (43 ft) round stone tower topped by a circular keeper's house, lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted; keeper's house and lantern painted white. An October 2005 photo shows the lighthouse in apparently good condition, but a July 2007 photo shows the lantern collapsed. Jenny Kuykendall has a view of the lighthouse in front of the Mumbai skyline, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of the Sunk Rock Light in Mumbai Harbour. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager: Mumbai Port Trust. ARLHS IND-002; Admiralty F0520; NGA 27968.
Navy Yard South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red flash every 3 s. 13 m (43 ft) mast mounted on a building. No photo available, and the mast is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located at the end of the south breakwater of the Indian Navy base. Site and tower closed. Operator: Mumbai Port Trust. Site manager: Indian Navy. Admiralty F0521; NGA 27972.
Sunk Rock
1884. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white along the channel and red in other directions. 22 m (72 ft) round tower with gallery, mounted on a stone pier. Tower painted in a red and yellow checkerboard pattern. Sourendu Gupta's photo is at right, a 2010 closeup shows that the lantern has been removed, and Google has a satellite view. Swimming races are held between the lighthouse and the Gateway of India, a famous landmark on the Mumbai waterfront. Located about 2.5 km southeast of the Gateway to India. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager: Mumbai Port Trust. ARLHS IND-008; Admiralty F0516; NGA 27956.
Prongs Reef (Colaba Point)
1874 (lightship station established 1842). Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); white flash every 10 s. 44 m (144 ft) round tapered stone tower with lantern and two galleries, mounted on a stone pier. 1st order Fresnel lens in use. The tower is painted in three horizontal bands, red, white, and black respectively. DGLL has a page for the lighthouse, a photo and a view from shore are available, Huelse has a historic postcard image, and Google has a good satellite view. This historic offshore lighthouse, marking the entrance to Mumbai Harbour, replaced the onshore Colaba Point lighthouse (see below under Lost Lighthouses). It is one of the few offshore lighthouses in the world still staffed; keepers alternate in 15-day shifts. In its early days, the lighthouse was equipped with a cannon to repel pirates. Located about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of Colaba Point, the southernmost point of Salsette Island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager: Mumbai Port Trust. ARLHS IND-007; Admiralty F0514; NGA 27952.
Sunk Rock Light
Sunk Rock Light, April 2006
Flickr photo copyright Sourendu Gupta; permission requested
Uarashi
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) concrete beacon. No photo available, but Bing has a distint satellite view. Located at the southeastern point of a marshy island in the Arabian Sea off the Khar West district. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Mumbai Port Trust. Admiralty F0502; NGA 28044.
Madh
Date unknown. Active(?); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) round concrete towe. Sid Nair has a photo, Alankar Joshi has a sunset photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a rocky point north of Mahd Creek, in the Mira Bhayandar area of northwestern Salsette Island. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: Mumbai Port Trust.
* Uttan
1960. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. Approx. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. Amar Kumar has a 2011 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located near the northwestern point of Salsette Island, about 50 km (30 mi) north of Mumbai. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-119; Admiralty F0499; NGA 28060.

Thane District Lighthouses
* Arnala (4)
1996 (station established 1860). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); three flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction. 30 m (98 ft) square skeletal tower with double gallery, painted white. Google has a satellite view. The original light on a mast was replaced by skeletal towers in 1907 and again in 1967. The present lighthouse is twice the height of the 1967 light it replaced. Located in Arnala, a fishing port about 16 km (10 mi) northwest of Vasai. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS IND-074; Admiralty F0494; NGA 28068.
* Satpati (2)
2010. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Google has a satellite view. The previous light, described by NGA as a mast, was actually a square skeletal tower with a focal plane of 22 m (72 ft). The lighthouse is on the grounds of the Maharashtra Government Fisheries Training Center in Satpati, a fishing port about 80 km (50 mi) north of Mumbai. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F0492; NGA 28076.
Satpati Entrance
Date unknown. Active(?). Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round concrete tower. A watercolor painting is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the south side of the estuary entrance, about 2 km (1.2 mi) northwest of the new lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
Tarapur (Tarapur Point)
1961. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal black and white bands; lantern roof painted red. Google has a satellite view. Tarapur is the site of a large nuclear power station which also provides plutonium for India's nuclear weaons program. Located on a promontory about 6 km (4 mi) southwest of Tarapur. Site status unknown, probably closed. ARLHS IND-115; Admiralty F0491.5; NGA 28084.
** Umergaon (Umergam, Umbergaon)
1979. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 15 s. 30 m (98 ft) triangular cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and double gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands. DGLL's photo is at right, Pavan Rao has another photo, Juzer Burhani has a closeup, and Google has a good satellite view. Umergaon Beach is a popular resort, and several web sites mention the possibility of climbing the lighthouse. Located off the beach at Umergaon. Site open, tower reported open. ARLHS IND-118; Admiralty F0489; NGA 28092.
Umbergam Light
Umergaon (Umbergam) Light; DGLL photo

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Southern Gujarat | South: Kerala and Karnataka

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted January 30, 2006. Checked and revised March 10, 2014. Lighthouses: 37. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.