Lighthouses of West and Northwest Iceland

Iceland is an island nation in the North Atlantic roughly 800 km (500 mi) northwest of Scotland. Settled by Norse explorers around 870, Iceland has had a legislature since 930, but for most of its history it was under the control of the kings of Denmark. In 1918, Iceland was granted full autonomy, and in 1944 it declared its independence.

This age includes lighthouses of five of Iceland's eight regions: Suðurnes (the southwestern, or Reykjanes, peninsula), Höfuðborgarsæði (the capital region, including Reykjavík), Vesturland (west coast), Vestfirðir (Northwest Fjords), and Norðurland Vestra (the western north coast).

In Icelandic, the word for a lighthouse is viti (plural vitar); ey is an island, nes is a cape, and höfn is a harbor. The Icelandic language preserves the old Norse letters "eth" (Ð and ð) and "thorn" (Þ and þ), which are pronounced with the softer and harder forms of the th sound, respectively.

Lighthouses in Iceland are regulated by the Icelandic Maritime Administration (Siglingastofnun), which also maintains and operates the major coastal lights. Local port authorities operate harbor lights.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. VIT numbers are from the Vitaskrá, the official Icelandic light list. Admiralty numbers are from volume L of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 115.

General Sources
Isländische Leuchttürme
Photos of 70 Icelandic lighthouses by Klaus Huelse.
Myndir frá Íslandi - Lighthouses
Photos of 25 Icelandic lighthouses by Jim Miller.
Vitaskrá 2008
The official Icelandic light list can be downloaded in pdf format.
Siglingastofnun - Útboö 2002
Lighthouse data from the former Maritime Administration web site; click on the Vitar menu for data and small photos.
Vitar eftir landshlutum
Lighthouse data from the current Maritime Administration web site; there is historical information, but no photos.
Icelandic Lighthouse Society (Íslenska Vitafélagið)
An attractive web site with several photo galleries; primarily in Icelandic.


Reykjanes Light
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission

Suðurnes (Southwest Peninsula) Lighthouses
*
Krísuvíkurberg
1965. Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); white flash every 10 s. 5 m (16 ft) round lantern on a round cylindrical metal tower. Lantern painted red and the lower part of the tower painted yellow. Stefán Þorvaldsson has a 2008 closeup photo. Located on a bluff at Krísuvíkurberg, about 25 km (15 mi) east of Grindavík. Site open, tower closed. VIT-298; Admiralty L4826; NGA 18140.
* Hópsnes
1928. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); three long (2 s) white flashes every 20 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern and gallery red. Huelse has a photo, Miller also has a photo, Ásmundur Þorkelsson has a good closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southeast of Grindavík. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-048; VIT-299; Admiralty L4828; NGA 18144.
* Reykjanes (3)
1929 (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); two white flashes every 30s. 31 m (102 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. The modern 2-story keeper's house is occupied by a resident attendant. Huelse has a great closeup photo, Don Michie has a good 2007 photo, and Google has a good satellite view. This light station, Iceland's oldest, is the landfall light for Keflavík and Reykjavík. The original lighthouse stood only eight years before being destroyed by an earthquake in 1887. Traditional in appearance, the current tower is probably Iceland's best known and most visited lighthouse. The area around the lighthouse is thermally active, and plumes of steam can often be seen in photos of the lighthouse. Located atop a hill near the southwestern point of the Reykjanes peninsula, about 16 km (10 mi) west of Grindavík and 20 km (13 mi) southwest of Keflavík. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-048; VIT-001; Admiralty L4466; NGA 18172.
* Reykjanestá (Reykjanes aukaviti)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 3 s. 5 m (16 ft) square concrete tower; the light is shown through a window. Lighthouse painted orange. Huelse has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the extreme tip of the Reykjanes peninsula, 1.7 km (1 mi) southwest of the Reykjanes lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. VIT-001.1; Admiralty L4468; NGA 18176.
* Stafnes
1925. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); three flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern and gallery red. Huelse has a great photo, Aðalsteinn Guðmundsson has a 2008 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the west point of the Reykjanes peninsula, about 5 km (3 mi) south of Sandgerði. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-025; VIT-003; Admiralty L4472; NGA 18180.
* Sandgerði
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 6 s. 19 m (62 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, arising at the seaward end of a large warehouse-type building. Tower painted yellow-brown. The tower also carries a red, inverted-triangular daymark. Huelse has a photo, a 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the waterfront of Sandgerði, a town near the northwest corner of the Reykjanes peninsula, about 6 km (4.5 mi) west of Keflavík. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-021; VIT-005; Admiralty L4476; NGA 18184.
** Garðskagi (1)
1897. Inactive since 1944. 11 m (36 ft) square concrete tower with gallery, attached to a small 1-story concrete equipment room. Lantern removed. Lighthouse painted white with two narrow red horizontal bands. A photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was replaced by a taller tower. In recent years the old tower has been refurbished and put to use as a bird observation tower. Located on Garðskagi (Cape Garð), the northwestern tip of the Reykjanes peninsula, about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Keflavík. Site open, tower open but we have no information on the schedule. ARLHS ICE-016.
Garthskagi Light
1897 Garðskagi Light, August 2005
anonymous Creative Commons photo

* Garðskagi (2)
1944 (station established 1897). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 5 s; also a continuous passing light, white, red or green depending on direction, displayed at 10 m (33 ft). 27 m (89 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. Huelse has a great photo, a 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located near the original lighthouse on Garðskagi (Cape Garð), the northwestern tip of the Reykjanes peninsula. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-015; VIT-009; Admiralty L4480; NGA 18196.
* Hólmsberg
1956. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); two flashes every 20 s, white, red or green, depending on direction. 13 m (43 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern and gallery red. Huelse has a photo, Johan Lindqvist has a great 2007 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northwest of Keflavík. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-047; VIT-015; Admiralty L4483; NGA 18216.
* Vatnsnes (Keflavík)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); three flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse was previously painted yellow, as seen in Miller's 1998 photo, but Huelse's photo shows the tower painted white and the lantern and gallery blue. Google has a satellite view. Located at the tip of the Vatnsnes peninsula, on the northwest side of Keflavík harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-094; VIT-016; Admiralty L4488; NGA 18212.
* Hafnarfjörður Range Rear (1)
1901. Inactive since 1979. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical tower; the light was shown through a square window at the top of the tower. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Huelse has a photo, and another photo is available, showing that the lighthouse is being maintained in good condition. The active light has been moved to the roof of a nearby fish factory. In 2011, a neighbor complained that visitors to the lighthouse were walking through his back yard, so town officials promised to develop a public path to the tower. Located in Hafnarfjörður, a fishing port on the southwest side of Reykjavík. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-112.
* Gerðistangi
1918. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white, red or green, depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern and gallery red. Huelse has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a point of land near Vogar, about 12 km (7.5 mi) east of Keflavík. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-038; VIT-019; Admiralty L4494; NGA 18236.
* Grótta
1897. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); three flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 23 m (75 ft) concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. Huelse's photo at right shows two relatively modern keeper's houses, and Google has a satellite view. Grótta is an island off the end of the Seltjanarnes peninsula about 15 km (9 mi) west of downtown Reykjavík. The lighthouse marks the entrance to the city's harbor. Accessible by boat, and with some care it is possible to walk to the island at low tide. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-044; VIT-028; Admiralty L4501; NGA 18292.

Grótta Light; photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission

Höfuðborgarsæði (Reykjavík) Lighthouses
Reykjavík Norðurgarði (North Mole)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); green flash every 2 s. 4 m (13 ft) square corrugated iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow. Sam Ragnarsson has a photo, and this is the more distant light in Huelse's photo. Google has a satellite view of both mole lights. Located at the end of the north breakwater of the main harbor of Reykjavík, on the west side of the city. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. VIT-034; Admiralty L4506; NGA 18320.
* Reykjavík Ingólfsgarði (South Mole)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red flash every 2 s. 4 m (13 ft) square corrugated iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow. Sam Ragnarsson has a good photo, this is the closer light in Huelse's photo, and Google has a satellite view of both mole lights. Located at the end of the south breakwater of the main harbor of Reykjavík, on the west side of the city. Probably accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. VIT-033; Admiralty L4508; NGA 18316.
Engey
1937. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Arni Tryggvason has a distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. Engey is an island on the east side of Reykjavík's commercial harbor. Located on the northwestern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown; there is a view from ships entering the harbor. ARLHS ICE-035; VIT-031; Admiralty L4505; NGA 18300.
* Reykjavík (Sjomannaskolinn, Seaman's School)
1897. Active; focal plane 71 m (233 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 32 m (105 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower, topped by an octagonal tower with a gallery and a tall steeple, and attached to the front of a large 4-story academic building. Building painted gray. Huelse has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a hill overlooking Reykjavík harbor. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS ICE-076; VIT-030; Admiralty L4503; NGA 18308.

Vesturland (Central West Coast) Lighthouses
Note: Vesturland is the west coast region north of Reykjavík and south of the northwest fjords regions. A major feature of this region is the Snæfellnes peninsula, a long finger of volcanic land separating two sounds, the Faxaflói and the Breidafjörður. The peninsula is famous for the Snæfellsjökull volcano and glacier, and in 2001 much of it was set aside as a national park.
Hvaleyri
1948. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); flash every 6 s, white, red or green, depending on direction. Octagonal lantern, painted red and mounted directly on the ground. Frida Run Arnadottir has a sunset photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the tip of a peninsula on the south side of the Hvalfjörður, about 7 km (4.5 mi) northeast of Hosfvík. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-120; VIT-047; Admiralty L4516; NGA 18364.
* Krossvík (Akranes) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; red light occulting once every 3 s. 6 m (20 ft) lantern and gallery mounted atop a square concrete equipment shelter. A red triangular daymark is displayed on a post mounted on the gallery. Entire lighthouse painted yellow. Huelse has a good photo. The rear light is on a radio transmission tower. Located on the waterfront of Akranes. Site open, tower closed. VIT-049; Admiralty L4522; NGA 18384.
** Akranes (1)
1918. Inactive since 1947. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) square dumbbell-shaped concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern gray. Huelse also has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. Akranes is a town on the east side of the Faxaflói, the bay of Reykjavík, separated from Reykjavík by the Hvalfjörður (Fjord of Whales). Since 1998, a tunnel under the fjord has provided a quick route to the town. Located at the extreme tip of the Skipaskagi (Ships' Cape) peninsula, the lighthouse appears to be endangered by erosion. Site open, tower open but we have no information on the schedule. ARLHS ICE-003.
* Akranes (2)
1947 (station established 1918). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); two flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 21 m (69 ft) concrete tower with lantern, gallery, and eight buttresses at the base. Tower painted white, lantern red. Huelse also has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located a short distance north of the original lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-002; VIT-050; Admiralty L4520; NGA 18372.


1947 Akranes Light, June 2003
Creative Commons photo by Pietro Izzo

Þormóðssker (Thormodhssker)
1947. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); one long flash every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted concrete with black panels giving the appearance of a black vertical stripe on each face; lantern painted black. The Siglingastofnun has a photo (second photo on the page). Located on Thormod's Skerry, a small rocky island in the Faxaflói about 13 km (8 mi) northwest of Akranes. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ICE-101; VIT-055; Admiralty L4526; NGA 18392.
Rauðanes
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 4 m (13 ft) hexagonal concrete equipment room; the light is shown through a window. Lighthouse painted yellow. Birkir Rutsson has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a sharp promontory on the north side of the Faxaflói about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southwest of Bogarnes. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. VIT-057; Admiralty L4529; NGA 18408.
* Kirkjuhóll
1953. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); one long (2 s) flash every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) semi-elliptical concrete tower with lantern. The lighthouse is unpainted white concrete. Huelse has a photo. Located midway on the south shore of the Snaefells peninsula. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-062; VIT-058; Admiralty L4531; NGA 18416.
* Arnarstapi
1941. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 3 m (10 ft) concrete lantern house, rectangular with a semicircular front; the light is shown through a window. The house is listed as yellow by NGA, although Huelse's photo shows it white. Located on an east-facing promontory on the south coast of the Snaefells peninsula, about 6 km (3.5 mi) south of Gröf. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-116; VIT-059; Admiralty L4532; NGA 18420.
* Malarrif (2)
1946 (station established 1917). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); four flashes every 30 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 24 m (79 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with four buttresses, lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Huelse has a photo, and a distant view is available. Located on the south coast of the Snaefells peninsula about 15 km (9 mi) southwest of Gröf. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-067; VIT-062; Admiralty L4534; NGA 18412.
* Svörtuloft (2)
1931 (station established 1914). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse's photo is at right. This lighthouse and the next one mark the blunt western end of the Snaefells Peninsula. Located about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Hellissandur. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-091; VIT-063; Admiralty L4538; NGA 18424.
* Öndverðarnes
1973. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 3 s. 4 m (13 ft) octagonal cast iron lantern centered on a small 1-story square concrete equipment room. Equipment room painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a photo. Located on the extreme northwestern tip of the Snaefells Peninsula, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of the Svörtuloft lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-099; VIT-064; Admiralty L4540; NGA 18428.
Taska
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green flash every 3 s. 13 m (43 ft) round lantern and gallery perched on a slender iron pole. Lantern painted green. Huelse has a photo. Located in the Breidafjörður off a promontory about 6 km (3.5 mi) east of Hellissandur. Accessible only by boat, although there may be a good view from shore. Site open, tower closed. VIT-066; Admiralty L4541.8; NGA 18432.

Svörtuloft Light; photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission
Krossnes
1926. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); four flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow. Huelse has a photo, and Martin Nouza also has a photo. Located at the end of a promontory 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Grundarfjörður. It appears from Huelse's photo that the lighthouse is on a farm. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ICE-065; VIT-074; Admiralty L4544; NGA 18464.
Höskuldsey (2)
1948 (station established 1926). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); flash every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow. No photo available. Höskuldsey is a small island in the Breidafjörður about 15 km (9 mi) west of Stykkishölmur. Located on the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-009; VIT-077; Admiralty L4550; NGA 18476.
Elliðaey
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); flash every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. Huelse has a distant photo. Elliðaey is a small island in the Breidafjörður about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Stykkishölmur. Located on the highest point of the island, which is at the east end. Accessible only by boat; there are views from the ferry crossing the Breidafjörður from Stykkishölmur to Flatey and Brjánslaekur. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-004; VIT-078; Admiralty L4552; NGA 18480.
Klofningur (Flatey)
1926. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow; lantern painted red. A photo is available. Flatey is an island in the northern Breidafjörður about 18 km (11 mi) southeast of Brjánslaekur. The lighthouse is located on Klofningur, a small island about 800 m (1/2 mi) off the entrance to Flatey's harbor. Note: there is another Flatey Island Light on the northeast coast of Iceland. Accessible only by boat; there are views from the ferry crossing the Breidafjörður from Stykkishölmur to Flatey and Brjánslaekur. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-063; VIT-82.8; Admiralty L4556; NGA 18496.

Vestfirðir (Northwest Fjords) Lighthouses
Note: The northwest of Iceland is a fan-shaped peninsula cut by fjords into many fingers of land. The lighthouses of this dramatic but difficult terrain are poorly known.
Skor
1954. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5 m (17 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern, painted yellow. Alda Kalda has a distant photo of this beautiful site. Located on a point of land at the foot of high cliffs known as the Skorahlíðar, about 5 km (3 mi) south of Saurbær. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-107; VIT-086; Admiralty L4558; NGA 18508.
* Bjargtangar (2)
1948 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 6 m (20 ft) square 2-story concrete building with a lantern on the seaward side of the second floor. The entire building is white. A photo is at right. This humble lighthouse marks the westernmost point of Iceland, and thereby the westernmost point of Europe, at longitude 24°32'03" W. Accessible by road, but it's a long drive; 4WD strongly recommended. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-029; VIT-087; Admiralty L4560; NGA 18512.
* Ólafsviti
1947. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); one long (2 s) flash every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. Atli Týr Ægisson has a 2008 photo. This lighthouse guides ships into the Patreksfjörður, the southernmost of a series of fjords cutting into the northwestern peninsula. Located at Hænuvík on the south side of the Patreksfjörður. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-070; VIT-088; Admiralty L4562; NGA 18516.
Kópanes
1971. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) round lantern mounted at one end of a 1-story concrete fog signal or equipment building. No photo available. Located on a remote cape at the southern entrance to the Arnarfjörður. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-121; VIT-095.5; Admiralty L4567; NGA 18520.

Bjargtangar Light, July 2006
anonymous Creative Commons photo
Langanes (2)
1950 (station established 1910). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); flash every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) 2-story concrete building with a lantern and gallery on the seaward side of the second floor. Lighthouse painted yellow. No photo available. Cliffs near this location are famous for birds. Located on the point of land at the fork of the Arnarfjörður into the branches known as the Suðurfirdir and the Borgarfjörður, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west of Laugaböl. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-122; VIT-096; Admiralty L4568; NGA 18524.
Svalvogar
1920. Active; focal plane 52 m (171 ft); two long flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow. No photo available. Svalvogar, the mountainous peninsula between the Arnarfjörður and the Drýafjörður, is famous in Icelandic folklore as the setting of the epic Gísla Saga. An unpaved road, popular with adventurous bicyclists, circles the peninsula. Located at the western tip of the peninsula. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-108; VIT-097; Admiralty L4570; NGA 18528.
Fjallaskagi
1954. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white flash every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) round concrete tower, painted yellow. Bergthor Gunnlaugsson has a very distant photo of the cape in which the lighthouse is barely visible. Located on a cape (kagi) on the north side of the entrance to the Drýafjörður. Probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-037; VIT-100; Admiralty L4574; NGA 18536.
Sauðanes Northwest
1964. Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); white flash every 20 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern mounted on an octagonal concrete base. Lantern painted white. This is one of two Sauðanes lighthouses in northern Iceland; the other one is listed near the bottom of this page. Located at the tip of a peninsula about 5 km (3 mi) west of Suðereyi, marking the entrance to the Súgandafjörður. Probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. VIT-102; Admiralty L4575; NGA 18544.
Göltur (Galtar) (2)
1956 (station established 1920). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) square concrete tower, probably with lantern, painted yellow with a brown vertical stripe. This lighthouse stands on a massive cliff, the Stigahlið, on the south side of the entrance to the wide bay of the Isafjörður. Probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-041; VIT-106; Admiralty L4578; NGA 18552.
* Óshólar
1937. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three flashes every 20 s, white or red depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery. As of 2001 the lighthouse was painted yellow and the lantern red; in Huelse's photo the lighthouse color is red-orange. Located on the south side of the Isafjörður about 3 km (2 mi) east of Bolungarvik. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-071; VIT-107; Admiralty L4580; NGA 18560.
* Arnarnes
1902. Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); light 2 s on, 8 s off, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) square corrugated iron tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a photo. This lighthouse marks the entrance to the Skutulsfjörður from the Isafjörður. Located atop a steep promontory about 5 km (3 mi) north of Suðavik. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-028; VIT-109; Admiralty L4584; NGA 18612.
Æðey
1944. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); two flashes every 22 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 13 m (43 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. No photo available. Æðey is an island off the north shore of the Isafjörður. Located on the southern tip of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-001; VIT-127; Admiralty L4582; NGA 18616.
Sléttaeyri
1949. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) 2-story concrete building with a lantern and gallery on the seaward side of the second floor. Lighthouse painted yellow. No photo available. Located on a point of land on the north side of the Isafjörður near the entrance, about 5 km (3 mi) west of Hesteyri. Probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-126; VIT-128; Admiralty L4600; NGA 18628.
Straumnes Northwest
1919. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 4 s. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, gallery red. A small photo is at right. This unusual lighthouse stands at the tip of a peninsula marking the northwestern corner of Iceland. It is one of two Straumnes Lights in northern Iceland; the other one is listed near the bottom of this page. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-088; VIT-129; Admiralty L4604; NGA 18632.

Straumnes Light
Siglingastofnun photo
Hornbjarg
1930. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward end of a 2-story Icelandic Coast Guard station. An excellent photo is available. This lighthouse is located a few miles southeast of Horn, the northernmost cape of northwestern Iceland, and only about 17.5 km (11 mi) south of the Arctic Circle. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-049; VIT-130; Admiralty L4606; NGA 18636.
* Selsker
1947. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); one long (2.2 s) and one short flash every 30 s. 15 m (49 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square concrete base. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. A photo is available (first photo on the page). This lighthouse marks a prominent cape on the north coast at the western entrance to the Húnaflói, a broad bay that separates the northwestern fjord region from the rest of northern Iceland. Located about 20 km (13 mi) by road north of Norðurfjörður. Accessible by 4WD. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-023; VIT-131; Admiralty L4608; NGA 18640.
* Gjögur
1921. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); four flashes every 30 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted red. Júlíus Ó Ásgeirsson has a photo. Located at the tip of an east-pointing peninsula about 5 km (3 mi) east of Gjögur. Accessible by 4WD. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-039; VIT-135; Admiralty L4616; NGA 18648.
Grímsey
1949. Active; focal plane 82 m (269 ft); flash every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Jón Ingi Cæsarsson has a closeup photo, and Hilmar Thor Johannsson has a 2008 closeup. Grimsey is an island off the north side of the entrance to the Steingrimsfjörður near Drangsnes. Located on the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-006; VIT-137; Admiralty L4620; NGA 18656.
* Malarhorn (2)
1948 (station established 1914). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); two flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 3 m (10 ft) 1-story concrete building; the light is displayed through windows in the front. Lighthouse painted yellow. No photo available. Located on a promontory on the east side of Drangnes. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-123; VIT-138; Admiralty L4622; NGA 18660.

Norðurland Vestra (Western Northland) Lighthouses
*
Skarð
1951. Active; focal plane 52 m (171 ft); three flashes every 30 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. No photo available. Located on a bluff marking the east side of the entrance to the Miðfjörður, about 11 km (7 mi) north of Hvammstangi. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-083; VIT-140; Admiralty L4628; NGA 18672.
* Skagaströnd Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (52 ft); green light occulting once every 5 s. Light mounted on the center of a strikingly modern concrete church tower. Arnbjörn Jóhannesson has a photo. Located in the fishing town of Skagaströnd. Site open, tower closed. VIT-142.1; Admiralty L4632.1; NGA 18680.
* Kálfshamars (2)
1940 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); two long flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. A small photo is at right, and Vilhjálmur Ingi Vilhjálmsson has a photo. This lighthouse marks the eastern entrance to the broad bay called the Húnaflói. Located about 25 km (15 mi) north of Skagaströnd. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-058; VIT-147; Admiralty L4635; NGA 18684.
Skagatá (2)
1935 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a more distant photo. Skagatá is one of several very prominent capes on the north coast of Iceland. Located on the cape, about 80 km (50 mi) northwest of Sauðárkrókur. May be accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-082; VIT-148; Admiralty L4636; NGA 18688.
* Sauðárkrókur (Saudarkrokur) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; continuous red light shown only when vessels are expected. Light mounted on a church steeple. A closeup photo of the church is available, although the light cannot be seen. The rear light is on a post on a hill behind the town. Sauðárkrókur, at the southwestern end of the Skagafjörður, is one of the largest towns of Iceland's north coast, with a population of about 2700. Located near the center of town. Site open, tower closed. VIT-150; Admiralty L4640; NGA 18692.

Kálfshamars Light
Siglingastofnun photo
* Hegranes
1936. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); one long (2 s) flash every 13 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Oli Arnar Brynjarsson has a very distant photo. Located on a promontory at the southern end of the Skagafjörður, about 5 km (3 mi) east of Sauðárkrókur. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-046; VIT-154; Admiralty L4644; NGA 18700.
Málmey
1938. Active; focal plane 66 m (217 ft); two long (1.5 s) flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Málmey is a high island in the eastern entrance to the Skagafjörður; a photo of the island shows the sheer cliffs that surround it on all sides. Located at the south end of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-013; VIT-155; Admiralty L4648; NGA 18712.
* Straumnes North
1942. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); flash every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted with gray and white vertical stripes; lantern painted red. Huelse's closeup photo is at right. This is one of two Straumnes lighthouses in northern Iceland; the other one is listed above. Both lighthouses have unusual and striking designs. Located on a promontory facing the Arctic, about 15 km (9 mi) northeast of Hofsós. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-087; VIT-156; Admiralty L4650; NGA 18716.
* Sauðanes North
1934. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); three flashes every 20 s, white or red depending on direction. 10.5 m (35 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-story concrete keeper's house. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. M.C. McCarron has a distant photo. This is one of two Sauðanes lighthouses in northern Iceland; the other one is listed above. Located on a cape about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Siglufjörður. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-125; VIT-158; Admiralty L4652; NGA 18720.
Selvíkurnef
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) stone tower, painted yellow. The lighthouse needs paint in a 2007 closeup photo, and a second photo is available. Located on the east side of the Siglufjörður opposite the fishing village of the same name. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-077; VIT-159; Admiralty L4654; NGA 18728.
Siglunes (2)
1926 (station established 1908). Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); white flash every 7.5 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story concrete keeper's house. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Arni Tryggvason has a photo. Siglunes is one of several very prominent capes on the north coast of Iceland. Located on the cape, about 6 km (3.5 mi) northeast of Siglufjörður. May be accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS ICE-080; VIT-162; Admiralty L4656; NGA 18732.

Straumnes North Light
photo copyright Klaus Huelse; used by permission

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted September 11, 2006. Checked and revised September 22, 2008. Lighthouses: 63. Site copyright 2008 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.