Lighthouses of Italy: Puglia (Apulia)

This page includes the lighthouses of the Italian region of Puglia (also known historically as Apulia). Puglia includes the Salento peninsula, the heel of the Italian "boot." The east side of the peninsula faces northeast on the Adriatic Sea and east on the Strait of Otranto, the south end faces the Ionian Sea, and the west coast faces the Gulf of Taranto. The most important ports of the region are Bari on the east side and Taranto on the west.

Prior to the unification of Italy in 1861, all of Puglia was included in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.

The Italian word for a lighthouse is faro, plural fari. This name is usually reserved for the larger coastal lights; smaller beacons are called fanali. Aids to navigation are operated and maintained by the Italian Navy's Servizio dei Fari. Lighthouse properties are naval reservations, generally fenced and closed to the public.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. EF numbers are from the Italian Navy's light list, Elenco Fari. Admiralty numbers are from volume E of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - Italy
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Fari e Segnalamenti
Lighthouse information from the Italian Navy's Servizio dei Fari.
Majaky: Italie
Photos posted by Anna Jenšíková.
Lighthouses in Italy
Photos available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Italy
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Italy
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Italienische Leuchttürme auf Historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Faro di Santa Maria di Leuca
Santa Maria di Leuca Light, Leuca, August 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Valentina Paggiarin

Foggia Province Lighthouses

Gargano Peninsula Lighthouses
Note: The Gargano Peninsula is a mountainous peninsula that projects 40 km (25 mi) eastward into the Adriatic Sea north of Manfredonia.
Vieste
1867 (Francesco Saverio Gatta). Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 27 m (90 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story masonry keeper's house. The original 1st order Fresnel lens remains in use. The lighthouse is unpainted white stone; watch room painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. A photo is at right, Roberto Ferrari has a photo, Trabas has a good photo, another good photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a good satellite view and a street view from across the harbor. This is one of the most important lighthouses of the Adriatic, warning ships away from the Gargano Peninsula. Located on a small island, the Isola Sant'Eufemia, just off the waterfront of Vieste, at the northeastern tip of the peninsula. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed, but there are excellent views from shore. ARLHS ITA-090; EF-3816; Admiralty E2288; NGA 11040.
Torre Preposti (2)
1946 (station established 1937). Active; focal plane 62 m (203 ft); white flash every 5 s. 22 m (72 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern, rising from one corner of a 1-story keeper's house, all mounted on a massive square stone foundation. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. Trabas has a good photo, Svetlana Sokolova has a view from below, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is built atop an Aragonese watchtower dating from around 1500. Located on a steep slope at Testa del Gargano, the easternmost point of the peninsula. The lighthouse may be difficult to reach, but it can be seen from above on twisting mountain roads. Site status unknown. ARLHS ITA-169; EF-3812; Admiralty E2286; NGA 11036.
* Manfredonia Molo di Levante
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green flash every 3 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted white concrete; lantern painted green. Trabas has a good photo, Salvatore Triventi has a photo, a view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the east mole of Manfredonia. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. EF-3800; Admiralty E2277; NGA 11016.
* Manfredonia
1868 (extensively rebuilt in 1947). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (60 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a good photo, a good 2007 photo and another photo are available, and Google has a closeup street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse was heavily damaged in 1943, during World War II, and was rebuilt after the war. Located near the base of the east mole of Manfredonia, a wide mole that includes a street and has a public beach on the east side. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-099; EF-3796; Admiralty E2276; NGA 11012.
Faro di Vieste
Vieste Light, Vieste, 2007
Wikimedia public domain photo by Frenklin
* Manfredonia Molo di Ponente (Molo di Mezzogiorno)
Date unknown (1947?). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted white concrete; lantern painted red. Trabas has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west mole of Manfredonia. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. EF-3804; Admiralty E2278; NGA 11020.

Tremiti Islands Lighthouses
Note: Between the Gargano Peninsula and the Croatian coast, the Adriatic Sea is relatively shallow and a number of small islands pose serious hazards to navigation. The islands on the Italian side are called the Isole Tremiti--Trembling Islands--because of the frequency of minor earthquakes. There are five islands, all included in the Gargano National Park. The two inhabited islands, San Domino and San Nicola, are tourist destinations accessible by ferry from Tremoli.
Isola di San Domino (Punta del Diavolo) (1)
1905. Inactive since 1987. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower, centered on the roof of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. The lighthouse was probably painted white, but it appears unpainted today. The active light (focal plane 48 m (157 ft); three white flashes every 10 s) is on a 4 m (13 ft) round post next to the lighthouse. Carmelo Raineri has a 2010 photo, another good photo and a 2008 photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. The lighthouse was heavily damaged by an explosion in 1987 and remains in a very dilapidated condition. The property was for sale in 2005. Located at the southwestern point of the island, marking the safe passage south of the island group. Site status unknown. ARLHS ITA-245; EF-3846; Admiralty E2294; NGA 11076.
* Isola San Nicola
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 89 m (279 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 15 m (49 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern painted red. Several 1-story station buildings. Bing has a satellite view of the station. Located at the highest point of San Nicola. Accessible by road. Site and tower closed, but the light tower is easily seen from the surrounding area. ARLHS ITA-274; EF-3838; Admiralty E2297; NGA 11072.
Isola di Capraia (Caprara) (1)
1868. Inactive since 1980. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower, attached to a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lantern removed. The lighthouse was probably painted white, but it appears unpainted today. The active light (focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 5 s) is on a 10 m (33 ft) square white skeletal tower. Rev. Santino di Renzo's photo is at right, a view from the sea is available, the Isole Tremiti tourism site has two photos (second and fourth rows), and Bing has a satellite view. The abandoned lighthouse is clearly endangered. The uninhabited island of Capraia is north of San Nicola, separated by a channel about 800 m (1/2 mi) wide. Note: there is another Isola Capraia in the Tuscan Archipelago off Tuscany. Located at the eastern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-207; EF-3836; Admiralty E2296; NGA 11064.
Isola di Pianosa (1)
1948. Inactive. 17 m (56 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. A distant view and a small photo (first photo in third row) are available, but Bing has only a distant satellite view of the island. The most remote of the islands, Pianosa is especially dangerous because its low elevation makes it difficult to see at a distance. In 1953, a building was built to serve as a shelter for fishermen who might be stranded on the island. This building and the keeper's house have been damaged by storms that sometimes sweep over the island. Note: there is another, better known Isola Pianosa in the Tuscan Islands off the west coast of Italy (see Tuscany). Located about 22 km (14 mi) east northeast of the other islands of the group. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-212.
Isola di Pianosa (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower. Located next to the historic lighthouse. EF-3832; Admiralty E2300; NGA 11060.

Capraia Light, Tremiti Islands, June 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Rev. Santino di Renzo

Barletta-Andria-Trani Province Lighthouses

Barletta Lighthouses
* Chiesa dei Monaci
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained); focal plane unknown, continuous white light. Light mounted on the dome of a church, the Chiesa dei Monaci. Gino Vitrani has a photo (at high magnification the light is visible on the rail of the highest balcony, at the top of the dome). Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the Via Milano at the Via Firenze in downtown Barletta. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E2263.5; NGA 10992.
* Barletta (Molo di Tramontana) (2)
1959 (station established 1807). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two long (2 s) flashes every 12 s. 28 m (92 ft) octagonal masonry tower mounted on a square stone base. The tower is unpainted white stone; lantern dome is gray metallic. One of Krákorová's photos is at right, Trabas has an excellent photo, Enrico Gissi has a fine 2008 photo, Marina.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located near the end of the west breakwater of Barletta. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-228; EF-3780; Admiralty E2264; NGA 10984.
* Barletta (Faro Napoleon) (1)
1807 (Domenico Luigi Chiarelli). Inactive since 1959. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) stone tower, lower half square and upper half round, with lantern and gallery, attached to a 2-story keeper's house. The tower is unpainted; lantern dome is gray metallic. Michele Dicataldo's photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house is of 20th century construction; Huelse has a historic postcard view in which the house does not appear. The house remained in use until the newer lighthouse was automated. The lighthouse is known locally as the Faro Napoleon because it was ordered built by Joseph Napoleon, King of Naples and brother of the French emperor. Located near the base of the Molo di Tramontana, the west breakwater of Barletta. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-314.

Trani Lighthouses
Trani Braccio di San Nicola
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green light, 2 s on, 3 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round concrete tower with gallery and a small lantern on a post. Entire lighthouse painted bright green. Trabas has a photo, Jenšíková also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the main (west) breakwater, the Molo Grande di San Nicola, at Trani. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-320; EF-3776; Admiralty E2262; NGA 10980.
Faro Napoleon
1807 Barletta Light (Faro Napoleon), Barletta, February 2004
Panoramio photo copyright Michele Dicataldo
permission requested
Trani Molo San Antonio Interno
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous red light. 7 m (23 ft) round concrete tower with gallery and a small lantern on a post. Entire lighthouse painted bright red. Trabas has a photo, Jenšíková also has a photo, Daniel Zollinger has a 2009 photo, the light is on the far right in a Google street view of the 1885 lighthouse (next entry), and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the extension of the east breakwater, the Molo San Antonio, at Trani. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-321; EF-3772; Admiralty E2261; NGA 10972.
* Trani (Molo San Antonio)
1885. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5 m (16 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Tower unpainted; lantern is white with a gray metallic dome. Trabas has a closeup, Jenšíková has a photo, Dario Gamello has a photo of the lighthouse in action, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located at the original end of the east breakwater, the Molo San Antonio, at Trani. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-272; EF-3771; Admiralty E2260; NGA 10976.

Bari Province Lighthouses

Molfetta Lighthouses
* Molfetta Molo Pennello
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); continuous green light. 4 m (13 ft) post centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment building. Lighthouse painted green. Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the west inner breakwater at Molfetta. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. EF-3760; Admiralty E2254; NGA 10964.
* Molfetta Molo Foraneo
Date unknown (station established 1888). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); red flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. Upper 2/3 of the tower painted red, lowest third unpainted; lantern dome is gray metallic. Trabas has a photo by Klaus Potschien, Jenšíková also has a photo (second photo on the page), and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater (the Molo San Michele) at Molfetta. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-318; EF-3756; Admiralty E2252; NGA 10956.
* Molfetta
1853 (relocated here in 1857). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 19 m (62 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a circular 1-story masonry base. 3rd order Fresnel lens in use. The lighthouse is white stone; lantern dome is gray metallic. Trabas has a good photo by Klaus Potschien, Manuhar Auroville has a 2008 photo, Jenšíková also has a photo (top photo on the page), Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was originally built on the Molo Tramontana on the west side of the harbor. After fishermen following its light wrecked on the shore instead of finding the harbor, it was demolished and rebuilt at its present site. Located at an elbow of the Molo San Michele, which shelters the harbor at Molfetta. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-224; EF-3752; Admiralty E2248; NGA 10952.

Bari Lighthouses
* Bari (Punta San Cataldo)
1869. Active; focal plane 66 m (217 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 62 m (203 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story masonry keeper's house. The entire lighthouse is white; lantern dome is gray metallic. A photo is at right, Trabas has a fine photo by Klaus Potschien, a 2008 photo is available, Marinas.com has excellent aerial photos, Google has a fine street view, and Bing has a good satellite view. This tall lighthouse could be confused with the shorter San Cataldo di Lecce Light (see below). It guides ships to the harbor of Bari, the most important port of Puglia and the terminus for trans-Adriatic ferries. Located on Punta San Cataldo, at the base of the Molo San Cataldo, on the west side of the harbor of Bari. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-141; EF-3706; Admiralty E2232; NGA 10892.
#Bari Molo San Vito
Date unknown. Demolished sometime after 2005. This was an approx. 11 m (36 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story building. The lighthouse was painted with black and white horizontal bands; the lantern dome was gray metallic. The active light (focal plane 8 m (26 ft); two continuous lights, yellow flash every 2 s) is on a 6 m (20 ft) yellow post. Jenšíková has a 2005 photo (second photo on the page), but Bing's satellite view confirms the removal of the lighthouse. Located on the mole at the ferry terminals in Bari. Site open. ARLHS ITA-312; EF-3728; Admiralty E2243; NGA 10924.
* Bari Vecchio Molo Foraneo
1913. Inactive. Approx. 11 m (36 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Formerly painted white, the lighthouse is now unpainted; lantern dome is gray metallic. The active light (focal plane 11 m (36 ft); two continuous red lights, one above the other) is on a 4 m (13 ft) red post beside the lighthouse. Trabas has a good photo, Leo Magarelli has a photo, Antonio Pan has a good photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the old east breakwater mole, which now extends into the center of the modern harbor of Bari. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-313; EF-3724; Admiralty E2238; NGA 10920.
* Bari Molo San Antonio
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); green flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is unpainted except for a narrow green band near the top of the tower. Trabas has a good photo, a distant view is also available, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the Molo San Antonio, which encloses the old harbor, now the small boat harbor, on the east side of Bari. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-234; EF-3742; Admiralty E2244; NGA 10932.

Punta San Cataldo Light, Bari, January 2007
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by 111279subingnic

Mola di Bari and Monopoli Lighthouses
* Mola di Bari (Molo Nord)
Date unknown (station established 1901). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower centered on a square 1-story masonry equipment building. Skeletal tower painted green. Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north (really west) breakwater at Mola di Bari. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. EF-3700; Admiralty E2226; NGA 10872.
* Monopoli (Molo Margherita)
1878. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); red flash every 3 s. 15 m (49 ft) hexagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Trabas has a good photo by Klaus Potschien, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view and a closeup street view partially blocked by a stone wall. This lighthouse was built by local port authorities and transferred to the Navy's control in 1911. Located at the end of the Molo Margherita, the traditional breakwater mole of Monopoli, at the south side of the entrance to the harbor. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-232; EF-3692; Admiralty E2224; NGA 10868.

Brindisi Province Lighthouses

Torre Canne Lighthouse
* Torre Canne (Punta Torre Canne)
1929. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 32 m (105 ft) octagonal white concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the seaward side of a 1-story keeper's house. Fabrizio Comolli's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo by Klaus Potschien, S. Kaetzje has a 2008 photo, another photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view of the town. Located on a point of land in the town of Torre Canne about 40 km (25 mi) northwest of Brindisi. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-150; EF-3688; Admiralty E2222; NGA 10856.

Brindisi Lighthouses
* [Punta Penne (1)]
Date unknown (around 1890?) (station established 1861). This was formerly a 34 m (112 ft) round tower attached to a keeper's house; Huelse has a historic postcard view. The light tower is gone, disappeared around the time of World War I, but the keeper's house remains. A view from the sea is available. This station should not be confused with the Punta Penna lighthouse in Abruzzo (see Northeastern Italy).
* Punta Penne (2)
Date unknown (before 1920) (station established 1861). Inactive since around 1960. 13 m (43 ft) square stone watchtower. A photo is available (note the corner of the original keeper's house at the right edge of the photo), there's also a 2009 photo, and Google has a satellite view of the station. We need more information on the history of this station. Located on a promontory about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of the Diga di Punta Riso in Brindisi. Site open, tower closed.
Brindisi Diga di Punta Riso (North Breakwater) (2)
Date unknown (statione stablished 1893). Active (privately maintained); focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two green flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round tapered concrete tower with gallery, painted green. Trabas has a photo in which this tower appears behind the Le Pedagne lighthouse, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the long breakwater on the north side of Brindisi harbor. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-069; Admiralty E2198; NGA 10822.5.
* Brindisi Diga di Punta Riso (North Breakwater) (1)
1893. Inactive. Approx. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical stone tower with gallery, now falling into ruins. The tower was covered with plaster and painted black with a white horizontal band, but the plaster has peeled from much of the tower. Fabio Vitale has a good photo, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located near the root of the long breakwater on the north side of Brindisi harbor. Site open, tower closed.
Brindisi Diga di Castello a Mare (North Inner Breakwater)
1911. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green flash every 3 s. 9 m (30 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted green. Trabas has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north inner breakwater of Brindisi, directly below the walls of the Castello a Mare. Site and tower closed. EF-3644; Admiralty E2204; NGA 10824.
Faro di Torre Canne
Torre Canne Light, Torre Canne, June 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Fabrizio Comolli
Brindisi Castello a Mare (Castello Aragonese, Castello Alfonsino) (2, 3)
2004 (station established 1844). Reactivated (inactive from the 1880s to 1934 and again 1984-2004). 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower with enclosed upper portion, lantern and gallery mounted atop the fortress of Castello a Mare. From 1934 to 1984 the light was shown from a lantern mounted on the castle wall, as seen in a view from the sea. Lighthouse painted black with a gray metallic lantern. Trabas has a 2010 photo by Egidio Ferrighi that shows the tower under restoration, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The light was moved to the Monumento del Marinaio d'Italia in 1984 and returned in 2004. Dating from the late 1400s, the castle is also called the Castello Alfonsino (after Alfonso, the duke of Calabria who completed the first version of the structure in 1492). The fortress has been under restoration as a tourist attraction. Located on an island, which is now joined to the mainland by a causeway and serves as the anchor of the north breakwater of Brindisi harbor. Site and tower closed, but there are good views from many locations around the harbor. ARLHS ITA-315; EF-3626; Admiralty E2202.
* Monumento del Marinaio d'Italia
1984. Inactive as a navigational aid since 2004, although the tower still carries a flashing red aviation warning light. 50 m (164 ft) square tapered brick tower. No lantern; the light was displayed from an alcove near the top of the tower that also holds a statue of Virgin Mary. A closeup and a view of the monument are available, Google's street view is from the rear of the tower, and Bing has a satellite view. The tower is part of the Monument to the Italian Sailor, built in 1933 during the Mussolini era. Located in a park on the north side of the inner harbor of Brindisi. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-107; ex-Admiralty E2202.
#Brindisi Diga di Costa Morena (South Inner Breakwater)
Date unknown. Inactive since 2012. Formerly a 7 m (23 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Google's satellite view confirms that the breakwater has been replaced by a broad quay. Formerly located at the end of the south inner breakwater of Brindisi, directly opposite the Castello a Mare. Site closed. EF-3650; Admiralty E2206; NGA 10828.
* Le Pedagne (Isolotto Traversa)
Date unknown (station established 1861). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); two red flashes every 6 s. 18.5 m (71 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, centered on a circular 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. A photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, a view from the sea is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a reef in the middle of the entrance to Brindisi harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-175 (=218); EF-3632; Admiralty E2196; NGA 10816.
* Torre Mattarelle
Date unknown (1940s). Inactive since around 1960 (?). 15 m (49 ft) ruined square stone watchtower. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The tower was reported for sale in 2008. Located on a promontory about 8 km (5 mi) southeast of Brindisi. Site status unknown, probably open.
Le Pedagne Light
Le Pedagne Light, Brindisi, August 2012
Panoramio photo copyright 52picchio; used by permission

Lecce Province Lighthouses

Eastern Lecce Province (Otranto Area) Lighthouses
Note: Lecce Province is the tip of the heel in the Italian boot, incorporating the lower Salento Peninsula and projecting southeastward into the Ionian Sea. Its major ports are Otranto on the east side of the peninsula and Gallipoli on the west side.
* San Cataldo di Lecce (2)
1897 (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 2 s on, 3 s off. 23.5 m (77 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic. Trabas has a photo by Klaus Potschien, Andrea Fistetto has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This light is easily confused with the taller Punta San Cataldo Light in Bari (see above). There have been some alterations in this lighthouse, as older photos show it with a second gallery. Located just off a popular beach at Punta San Cataldo di Lecce, about 12 km (7.5 mi) east of Lecce. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-142; EF-3612; Admiralty E2192; NGA 10808.
* Torre Sant'Andrea (Sant'Andrea di Missipezza)
1932. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); two flashes every 7 s, white or red depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) lantern mounted atop a square masonry building. The seaward side of the building is painted in a bold black and white checkerboard pattern; the lantern is gray metallic. Trabas has a closeup photo by Klaus Potschien, a good photo of the land side is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse warns ships away from shoals nearby. Located about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of Torre dell'Orso. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-170; EF-3608; Admiralty E2188; NGA 10800.
* Otranto
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); three flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) post light with gallery centered on a square 1-story concrete equipment room. Entire lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a good photo by Klaus Potschien, Michele Renato has a 2007 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater at Otranto. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. EF-3600; Admiralty E2182; NGA 10792.
*** Capo d'Otranto (La Palascia) (1)
1867. Reactivated (inactive 1970s-2009); focal plane 60 m (197 ft); white flash every 5 s. 32 m (105 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. The entire lighthouse is white; lantern roof is gray. Trabas has Egidio Ferrighi's photo seen at right, Tino Morelli has a 2009 photo, Donato Surano has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. This is Italy's easternmost lighthouse, marking the narrowest point of the Strait of Otranto, the mouth of the Adriatic Sea. Ham radio operator IK7JWX has a photo of the lighthouse that shows the sun rising over the Albanian coast on the other side of the strait. The station was abandoned for more than three decades before being restored and reactivated in 2009. A photo shows the poor condition of the abandoned lighthouse. The lighthouse is now part of the Observatory of Mediterranean Ecology and Ecosystem Health, a center of the University of Salento. Located on the point of the cape, about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Otranto. Site open, tower open daily during August. Owner/site manager: Comune di Otranto. ARLHS ITA-137; EF-3596; Admiralty E2178; NGA 10788.
* Capo d'Otranto (La Palascia) (2)
Date unknown (1970s). Inactive since 2009. 5 m (17 ft) square concrete structure, formerly carrying a lantern. No photo available. This light, which replaced the light of the historic lighthouse for more than 30 years, was 25 m (82 ft) higher than the old one on the steep slope of the cape. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-316.

Capo d'Otranto Light, Otranto, May 2010
photo copyright Egidio Ferrighi; used by permission
* Capo Santa Maria di Leuca
1866. Active; focal plane 102 m (335 ft); three white flashes every 15 s; also a red light, occulting once every 4 s, is shown over shoals to the east. 48 m (158 ft) octagonal brick tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. The bricks of the lighthouse are covered with a white plaster. Valentina Paggiarin's photo appears at the top of the page, Trabas has a good photo, Wikimedia has a public domain photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original first order lantern was replaced in 1954. Capo Santa Maria di Leuca is the tip of the Salento peninsula, so this historic lighthouse marks the western entrance to the Strait of Otranto and the Adriatic Sea. Located at the tip of the cape, at the end of the Via Francesco Pireca, in Leuca. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-039; EF-3590; Admiralty E2176; NGA 10780.

Western Lecce Province (Gallipoli Area) Lighthouses
* Torre San Giovanni di Ugento
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. Lantern mounted atop a late 16th century fortified watch tower. The front of the tower is painted in a bold black and white checkerboard pattern; the lantern is gray metallic. Federico Lucchini's photo is at right, the Navy has a page for the lighthouse, Trabas has an excellent photo by Klaus Potschien, another photo is available, Google's street view shows the rear of the tower, and Bing has a satellite view. The tower, built by Carlos V of Spain, is one of a number of towers built in the late 1500s to guard against attacks by the Saracens. Located in the village of Torre San Giovanni, about 6 km (3.5 mi) southwest of Ugento. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-171; EF-3584; Admiralty E2174; NGA 10776.
Isola Sant'Andrea
1866. Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 43 m (141 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. The entire lighthouse is white; lantern is gray metallic. Trabas has a good photo, Leonardo Bray has a 2007 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a good satellite view. The Isola Sant'Andrea is a flat, sandy island about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) off the waterfront of Gallipoli. Located on the southwestern edge of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS-084; EF-3562; Admiralty E2168; NGA 10760.
* Gallipoli Molo di Tramontana
Date unknown (station established 1914). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green light, 2 s on, 3 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square stone base. Entire lighthouse painted green. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater mole of Gallipoli. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. EF-3574; Admiralty E2172; NGA 10764.
* Gallipoli Molo di Sottoflutto
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red light, 2 s on, 3 s off. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted red. Trabas has a closeup photo, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the short inner mole of Gallipoli. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed. EF-3574.3; Admiralty E2172.2; NGA 10765.
* Porto Cesareo Anteriore
Date unknown (station established 1914). Active (privately maintained?); focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 12 m (39 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower mounted on a 2-story square building. The building is covered with tiles colored to display a black and white checkerboard pattern on the side facing the range. Trabas has a photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the foot of the Via Giuseppe Zuccaro on the waterfront in Porto Cesareo. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS-237; Admiralty E2164; NGA 10752.

Torre San Giovanni Light, Ugento, April 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Federico Lucchini
* Porto Cesareo Posteriore
Date unknown (station established 1914). Active (privately maintained?); focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white light, 2 s on, 1 s off. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical tower with a round lantern, gallery, and watch room. The building is covered with tiles colored to display a black and white checkerboard pattern on the side facing the range; lantern and watch room painted white. Trabas has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the Via Giuseppe Garibaldi near Via 70 in Porto Cesareo, 765 m (1/2 mi) north northeast of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS-238; Admiralty E2164.1; NGA 10756.

Taranto Province Lighthouses

Torre dell'Ovo Lighthouse
* Torre dell'Ovo
1919. Inactive since around 1960. 17 m (56 ft) fortified watch tower. Lantern removed. A closeup photo and a distant photo are available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is an Aragonese fortified tower built about 1550. Located on a promontory beside the coastal highway (SP122) about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southeast of Librari and 32 km (20 mi) southeast of Taranto. Site open. ARLHS ITA-322.

Taranto Harbor Lighthouses
Note: Taranto is a major commercial port and also the traditional home port of the Italian Navy. The city's great elliptical harbor, called the Mar Grande, is enclosed by a long north breakwater and a much shorter south breakwater. The north breakwater is interrupted by several islands, the Isole Cheradi, and ends with a short section projecting southeastward from the Isolotto San Paolo.
* Capo San Vito
Date unknown (station established 1869). Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 43 m (141 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 2-story keeper's house. The tower is unpainted white concrete. A closeup of the top of the tower is at right, Trabas has an excellent photo, a 2007 photo is available, also a second photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Note: there is another Capo San Vito lighthouse, more properly known as San Vito lo Capo, in Sicily. Capo San Vito encloses the south side of the Mar Grande, Taranto's harbor. Located on the point of the cape at the end of the Via del Faro. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-040; EF-3432; Admiralty E2132; NGA 10640.
Diga di San Vito
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); two green flashes every 7 s. 19 m (59 ft) square steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted green. Trabas has a photo, Luigi D'Ippolito has a photo, a 2010 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the south breakwater of Taranto. Accessible only by boat, as the breakwater is awash. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-200; EF-3442; Admiralty E2134; NGA 10644.
* Mar Grande Posteriore (Casa Gigante)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white light, 1.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 20 m (66 ft) square concrete block tower, painted with black and white vertical stripes. Trabas has a photo, Vincenzo Tarantino has a 2011 closeup, a 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This range guides ships outbound from Taranto across the Mar Grande. Located on the Viale del Tramanto at the Via Meda on the waterfront on the north side of Capo San Vito. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ITA-275; EF-3450.1; Admiralty E2150.1; NGA 10684.
Mar Grande Anteriore (Secca della Tarantola) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1887). Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); flash every 3 s, white on the range line and green otherwise. 11 m (36 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted green. Trabas has a photo, another good photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on a small artificial island off the southeast side of the Mar Grande. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-317; Admiralty E2150; EF-3450; NGA 10680.
* Mare Piccolo Posteriore
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); quick-flashing red light. 10 m (33 ft) square concrete tower with gallery, painted with black and white vertical stripes. Trabas has a photo, a view from the harbor is available, and Google has a satellite view. The front light is on a post offshore. The Mare Piccolo is an inner harbor of Taranto, connected to the Mar Grande by a narrow inlet. Located on the Via della Pineta on the north shore of the Mare Piccolo northeast of Taranto. Site open, tower closed. EF-3508.1; Admiralty E2152.1.
Faro di San Vito
San Vito Light, Taranto, August 2010
Panoramio photo copyright MCMLXXXV; used by permission
* Taranto Porto Mercantile East Mole
Date unknown. Active (privately maintained?); focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) round "bottle" light mounted on a round concrete tower with gallery. Lighthouse painted green. Trabas has a photo, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This light marks the east side of the entrance to a small boat harbor on the Mar Grande. Located at the end of a short pier on the Taranto waterfront. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty E2146; NGA 10704.
Isolotto San Paolo (2)
Date unknown (station established 1867). Active (?); focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two red flashes every 7 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery and a small lantern, painted red. Trabas has a closeup photo, a distant photo is also available, and Google has a satellite view. In a 2010 photo, the red paint is wearing off, revealing an older daymark of red and white horizontal bands. The Navy describes the light as non funzionante, but the international lists continue to show it as active. The original lighthouse had a height of 24 m (79 ft). Located at the south end of the Taranto breakwater. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS ITA-214; EF-3440; Admiralty E2138; NGA 10648.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Eastern Italy | East: Albania | West: Calabria and Basilicata

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted August 10, 2006. Checked and revised January 26, 2014. Lighthouses: 55. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.