Lighthouses of Kiribati
The Republic of Kiribati (pronounced "keer-ih-bahs")
includes 33 coral atolls scattered across a vast stretch of the central
Pacific Ocean. It includes all or part of three groups of islands. In
the west is the former British colony known as the Gilbert Islands. The
Phoenix Islands are in the central part of the country, and the Line Islands lie to the east. Many of the atolls of the Phoenix and Line Islands were
formerly claimed by both Britain and the U.S., and those two countries
administered several of them jointly until Kiribati was granted its independence
in 1979. In September of that year, in the Treaty of Tarawa, the U.S. acknowledged the sovereignty of Kiribati over 14 islands formerly claimed by the United States, including Kanton (Canton) and Enderbury Islands.
The U.S. retains ownership of five atolls and islands on the northern edge of Kiribati: Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll, and Howland, Baker, and Jarvis Islands. Lighthouses of these islands are listed on the U.S. Minor Pacific Islands page.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume M of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers
are from Publication 111.
Kanton Island Light; QSL card image
courtesy of Amateur Radio Lighthouse
all rights reserved
- Line Islands Lighthouse
- Kiritimati (Christmas Island)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); continuous red light. Approx. 35 m (115 ft) skeletal tower. No photo available, and the tower has not been found in Google's satellite view. Kiritimati is the principal atoll of the Line Islands. Formerly administered jointly by the U.S. and Britain as a military base, the atoll has an airport and a population of more than 5500. The light is near the northern end of the atoll. Site status unknown. Admiralty M8536; NGA 11100.
- Tabuaeran (Fanning Island, Greig Memorial)
- 1957(?). Active(?); focal plane 9 m (30 ft); continuous white light.
9 m (30 ft) square stone monument topped by a short pole. The Admiralty
list says that a light is shown "on request," presumably
from the top of the pole. Beth
Poltis's photo is at right, Gus Perez has a 2002 photo
and a closeup of the plaque
on the monument, the light is visible in Wikimedia's view of the lagoon entrance, and Google has a distant satellite
or Fanning Island, was uninhabited when it was annexed by Great Britain
in 1888. Today it has a population of about 2500 tending coconut plantations.
The Greig family were planters and traders on the atoll. The
British blasted a lagoon entrance on the west side of the island,
and the monument is located on Weston Point on the south side of the
entrance. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M8528; NGA 11108.
Phoenix Islands Lighthouses
- Enderbury Island
- 1938. Inactive. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) round concrete tower, painted
with red and white horizontal bands. Wikimedia has an undated distant
by Cameron Kepler, and a map
shows the location of the lighthouse. If the Wikimedia photo is recent,
then the lighthouse has been repainted; another photo
(2/3 the way down the page) shows it all white. The tower is barely visible in Google's satellite view. Enderbury
Island is an uninhabited coral island 63 km (40 mi) east southeast of Kanton. The island was
mined for guano by Americans in the 1870s and by British in the 1880s.
Like Kanton, it was settled briefly by Americans in the years leading
up to World War II, but it has been uninhabited since 1942. Enderbury does not have an open lagoon. The lighthouse is on the beach on the southwest side of the island. Accessible
only by boat. Site open, tower status unknown.
Greig Memorial, Tabuaeran, August 2004
copyright Beth Poltis; used by permission
- * Kanton
(Canton) Island (Abariringa)
- 1938. Inactive. 8 m (30 ft) round rubblestone tower. In addition
to the photo above, a photo of the lighthouse dedication ceremony on 27 July 1938, is available
(2/3 of the way down the page). Google has a satellite view. Kanton
Island, formerly spelled Canton, is one of the atolls in the Phoenix
group that was claimed by both the U.S. and Britain. In 1939 the two
countries agreed to joint sovereignty over the island. American settlers arrived on the previously uninhabited
island in March 1938. Pan American Airways built an airfield in 1939
and used Canton as a refueling stop for trans-Pacific flights in 1940-41
and from 1946 to 1958. The U.S. space agency NASA operated a spacecraft
tracking station on the atoll from 1960 to 1965, and the U.S. Air
Force continued the station for tracking missile tests until 1976.
The U.S. surrendered its claim to the island in 1979 in favor of newly-independent
Kiribati. Shortly thereafter, the new government of Kiribati
settled a small community on the atoll; the current population is
about 40. The light tower appears to be in good condition. Located on the south side of the main lagoon entrance, on the west side of the atoll. Site open,
tower status unknown. ARLHS CKB-001.
Gilbert Islands Lighthouses
- * Tarawa
- Date unknown. Active(?); focal plane 21.5 m (70 ft); white light, 4 s on, 16 s off. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) skeletal tower. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located at Buariki on the northern tip of the Tarawa atoll, which includes the capital of Kiribati. Site presumably open, tower closed. Admiralty M8508; NGA 11076.
- * Betio
- Date unknown. Active(?); focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 8 s. 33.5 m (110 ft) communications tower. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Google's indistinct satellite view. Betio, the islet on the southwestern tip of the Tarawa atoll, was the scene of ferocious fighting during the Battle of Tarawa in World War II. Located at the southwestern tip of Betio. Site presumably open, tower closed. Admiralty M8512; NGA 11080.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: U.S. Minor Pacific Islands | West: Micronesia
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted August 28, 2005. Checked and revised August 29, 2013.
Lighthouses: 6. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.