Lighthouses of St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis (more formally, the Federation of
St. Christopher and Nevis) is a two-island nation in the Leeward Islands,
at the northeastern corner of the Caribbean Sea. Originally named San
Columbus, the island of St. Kitts was the site of the first British
settlement in the West Indies in 1623 and also the first French settlement
in 1625. Britain and France struggled to control the islands until
1713, when the Treaty of Utrecht awarded them to Britain. The country
became independent of Britain in 1983.
Tourism is a major industry in St. Kitts, supported by an international airport and a modern cruise ship terminal. Aids to navigation are maintained by the St. Christopher Air and
Sea Ports Authority.
Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the Admiralty List of Lights
& Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 110.
- General Sources
- Our World Lighthouses
- The web site of Douglas Cameron has photos of St. Kitts lights taken
in December 2007. For the St. Kitts page, click on "Caribbean"
and then on "St. Kitts."
- Online List of Lights - St. Kitts
- Photos by Cameron posted by Alexander Trabas.
- World of Lighthouses - St. Kitts
- Photos available from Lightphotos.net.
St. Kitts National Museum Light, Basseterre, January 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by J. Stephen Conn
** St. Kitts National Museum (Old Treasury
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); quick-flashing red
light. Light mounted on the peak of the roof above the entrance to the
museum, a 2-story stone building. A photo appears above, Indra Kalinovitch
also has a good photo,
Trabas has Cameron's photo, Cameron has the same photo and a description of the location on his page for
St. Kitts, Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Google has a satellite
view. According to Findlay's 1879 list, a small light was established
"on the beach at Basseterre" in 1846. The Old
Treasury Building was built in 1894 and served as a government office
building for more than 100 years. In 2004 it was donated to the St.
Christopher Heritage Society as a museum and society headquarters. The
building was originally on the waterfront, but the coastline in the
area has been extended with fill to construct a cruise ship welcome
center called Port Zante. Located at Fort Street and Bay Road in downtown
Basseterre, just northwest of the cruise ship pier. Site and building
open. Operator: St. Christopher Air and
Sea Ports Authority. Site manager: St. Christopher Heritage Society.
Admiralty J5673.21; NGA 14754.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: St.-Barthélemy | East: Antigua and Barbuda | Northwest: Saba and Sint Eustatius
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted December 26, 2007. Checked and revised November 22, 2013.
Lighthouses: 1. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.