Lighthouses of Saint Martin

This page includes lighthouses of two small territories, one of France and one of the Netherlands, located in the Leeward Islands at the northeastern corner of the Caribbean Sea. Saint-Martin is unique among Caribbean islands in having been divided between two colonial powers. Since 1648, France has occupied the northern portion (roughly 2/3 of the whole) of the island, while the Netherlands has occupied the southern portion, known as Sint Maarten. Marigot is the capital and largest town of French St.-Martin, and Philipsburg is the capital and largest town of Sint Maarten.

The two French territories of St.-Martin and St.-Barthélemy were formerly governed as dependencies of the larger island of Guadeloupe, but since 2007 they have reported separately to Paris as collectivités of France. The Dutch territory of Sint Maarten was attached administratively to the Netherlands Antilles for many years, but in October 2010 it became a separate state associated with the Netherlands.

Most of the lighthouses of the Lesser Antilles are very poorly known, so information about them would be welcome, and photos are especially welcome.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - Saint-Martin and Sint Maartin
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
World of Lighthouses - Sint Maarten
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.

Saint-Martin Lighthouse
* Marigot
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); flash every 4 s, white, green or red depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) round conical tower painted white. No lantern. Rosalie Beasley's photo is at right, Roger Theriault has a photo, another closeup photo is available, Trabas has a view by Arno Siering, and Bing has a satellite view. Located across the road from the base of the breakwater mole of the harbor of Marigot, the principal town of the French portion of the island of Saint-Martin, on the northwestern coast of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS STM-001; Admiralty J5658; NGA 14732.
Feu de Marigot
Marigot Light, St.-Martin, January 2010
photo copyright Rosalie Beasley; used by permission
Sint Maarten Lightbeacon
* [Groot Baai (Sint Maarten)] (3?)
Date unknown (station established 1876). Inactive since 2007 at least. The light was on a post mounted on a short square tower atop the ruins of Fort Amsterdam. Bob Fairbanks has a good 2005 photo showing the light in service, a February 2008 photo shows it removed, a distant photo are available, Trabas has an even more distant view by Arno Siering, and Bing has a satellite view. Findlay's 1879 light list describes a "small light on old Fort Amsterdam." Located atop a narrow promontory on the west side of the entrance to Philipsburg harbor. Site open. ex-Admiralty J5660; ex-NGA 14724.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Anguilla | Southeast: St.-Barthélemy | South: Saba and Sint Eustatius

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 8, 2005. Checked and revised November 10, 2014. Lighthouses: 1. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.