Lighthouses of France: Morbihan

The old French province of Bretagne (Brittany) occupies a peninsula at the northwestern corner of France, separating La Manche (English Channel) from the Bay of Biscay. Like Wales, Bretagne is an ancient Celtic country that maintained its independence until the end of the fifteenth century. Today it is divided into several départements of the French Republic. This page includes lighthouses of the département of Morbihan, which faces south on the Bay of Biscay. Many of these lighthouses are clustered around the Baie de Quiberon, a broad sound partly sheltered by Belle-Île and the peninsula of Quiberon. In the Breton language, the waters sheltered by Belle-Île, including the Baie de Quiberon, are called Morbihan, "small sea."

The French word for a lighthouse, phare, is often reserved for the larger coastal lighthouses; a smaller light or harbor light is called a feu (literally "fire," but here meaning "light"). The front light of a range (alignement) is the feu antérieur and the rear light is the feu postérieur.

Aids to navigation in France were regulated for many years by the Bureau des Phares et Balises. This venerable agency has been absorbed as the office of Maritime Signalization (Signalisation Maritime) within the Ecology, Infrastructure and Energy Ministry (Ministère de l'Écologie, du Développement Durable, et de l'Énergie). However, many of the lights are actually operated by the transport ministries or port authorities of the departmental governments.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. FR numbers are the French light list numbers, where known. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.

General Sources
Online List of Lights - France - Atlantic Coast
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Le Phare à travers le Monde
A large, well known site maintained by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller.
Phares de France
Another large and well known site, this one by Jean-Christophe Fichou.
Ministère de la Culture - Phares
Historical data on more than 180 French lighthouses, with photos of most of them.
Phares et Balises: Silhouettes
Photos and information posted by M. Mocquant.
Phareland, le Site des Phares de France
This comprehensive site has good photos and information about the major lighthouses.
Leuchttürme.net - Frankreich - Morbihan
Photos and notes by Malte Werning.
Lighthouses in France
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Lighthouses in Morbihan
Photos available from Wikimedia.
Société Nationale pour le Patrimoine des Phares et Balises (S.N.P.B.)
The French national lighthouse preservation organization.
Französische Leuchttürme
Historic photos and postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.

Phare de Port Maria, Quiberon
Port Maria Light, Quiberon, April 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Christelle Camus-Bouclainville

Pénestin Lighthouses
* Pointe du Scal (feu antérieur)
1882. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); quick-flashing green light. 4 m (13 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery. The tiny lighthouse is painted white, the lantern green. Werning has a closeup photo, Trabas also has a closeup, and Bing has a satellite view. Until 1987 this was the front light of the Tréhiguier range. Located 500 m (0.3 mi) west of the Tréhiguier lighthouse (next entry) on the south side of the Vilaine estuary. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-602; Admiralty D1066; NGA 0800.
*** Tréhiguier (feu postérieur)
1882. Inactive since 1987. 15 m (49 ft), 5-story square cylindrical stone tower with a pyramidal roof; the light was shown through a window of the top floor. Tower attached to the front of a 1-1/2 story stone keeper's house. Werning has a good photo, a 2007 photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was damaged by artillery shelling in December 1944 but was returned to service in 1947. In 1990 the deactivated lighthouse was conveyed to the commune (township) of Pénestin, which has renovated the building as a museum with exhibits on the mussel fishery of the estuary. Located on the Rue du Port in the village of Tréhiguier, on the south side of the Vilaine estuary. Site open, museum open daily in July and August and on alternate weekends in the spring and fall; tower status unknown. Owner: Commune de Pénestin; site manager: La Maison de la Mytiliculture. ARLHS FRA-520; ex-Admiralty D1066.1.

Billiers and Damgan Lighthouses
* Penlan (2)
1882 (station established 1839). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 18 m (59 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower attached to the front of the original (1840) 2-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern is red. Werning's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo by Arno Siering, Farz Brujunet has a photo, Phareland has many photos, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse replaced a shorter tower. It was heavily damaged in World War II but was repaired after the war. Apparently it was also raised in height, since it is shorter in Huelse's historic postcard view. Located in Billiers, at the tip of the Penlan peninsula, which projects into the north side of the Vilaine estuary. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-384; FR-0825; Admiralty D1064; NGA 0792.
Basse Bertrand
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower, upper portion painted green. Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a reef about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) west of the Penlan lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-183; Admiralty D1063; NGA 0788.
Basse de Kervoyal
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); quick-flashing white or red light, depending on direction. 12 m (39 ft) round stone tower, painted black with a yellow band at the top. Trabas has a photo, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. NGA misspells the name as Kenoyal. Located about 600 m (0.4 mi) off the Pointe de Kervoyal, marking the north side of the entrance to the Vilaine estuary. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-733; Admiralty D1062.5; NGA 0794.
Phare de Penlan
Penlan Light, Billiers
photo copyright Malte Werning; used by permission
Le Pignon
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); three flashes every 12 s, white or red depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower, upper portion painted red. A photo is available, Trabas has a closeup, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a reef off Penerf on the east side of the entrance to the Rivière de Penerf estuary. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-585; Admiralty D1062; NGA 0780.

Sarzeau and Arzon (Rhuys Peninsula) Lighthouses
* [Saint-Jacques-en-Sarzeau]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red light occulting twice every 6 s. 5 m (16 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with gallery but no lantern. Trabas has a photo, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the mole in St. Jacques-en-Sarzeau, about 8 km (5 mi) south southwest of Sarzeau on the south side of the Presqu'île de Rhuys. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-617; Admiralty D1056; NGA 0776.
* Crouesty Jetée du Sud
Date unknown. Active. 6 m (20 ft) square masonry tower with gallery but no lantern. Lighthouse painted white with a narrow green horizontal band; gallery painted green. A closeup photo is available, Trabas has a photo, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the south jetty at the entrance to Crouesty harbor, on the south side of Arzon. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-410; Admiralty D1055.6.
* Port Crouesty (feu postérieur)
1982. Active; focal plane about 33 m (108 ft); quick-flashing white light. 29 m (95 ft) concrete tower, conical at the base but tapering to cylindrical for most of its height. Lighthouse painted white. Trabas has a photo, Werning has a good photo, Wikimedia has a photo showing all three Crouesty lights, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The front light is on a skeletal tower. This plain modern lighthouse guides vessels into the port on the south side of Arzon, at the west end of the Rhuys peninsula. Located on the east side of the harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-417; Admiralty D1055.1.
* Crouesty Jetée du Nord
Date unknown. Active. 6 m (20 ft) square masonry tower with gallery but no lantern. Lighthouse painted white with a red horizontal band; gallery painted red. Trabas has a photo, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north jetty at the entrance to Crouesty harbor, on the south side of Arzon. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-662; Admiralty D1055.4.
* Port Navalo (1)
1840. Inactive since 1895. 10 m (33 ft) tower attached to one end of a 2-story keeper's house. The lantern has been replaced by an ordinary conical roof. Building painted white. Guyomard and Carceller have photos, and Huelse has a historic postcard view showing both Port Navalo lighthouses. Located on Rue du Phare at the eastern entrance to the Golfe du Morbihan in Arzon. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen from the street. ARLHS FRA-434.
* Port Navalo (2)
1895 (station established 1840). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, occulting three times every 12 s. 19 m (62 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the opposite end of the original (1840) keeper's house. Tower painted white; gallery is unpainted stone; lantern painted green. Stéphane Batigne's photo is at right, Werning has a photo, Trabas has a photo, Guyomard and Carceller have photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view showing both Port Navalo lighthouses, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Rue du Phare at the eastern entrance to the Golfe du Morbihan in Arzon. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen from the street. ARLHS FRA-435; FR-0820; Admiralty D1054; NGA 0768.
Port Navalo Light
Port-Navalo Light, Arzon, March 2012
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Stéphane Batigne

Saint-Philibert and Trinité-sur-Mer (Crac'h Estuary) Lighthouses
* [Saint-Philibert (Crac'h Entrée Feu Antérieur) (2)]
Date unknown (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); quick-flashing white, red, or green light, depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) semicircular cylindrical concrete tower with gallery and an enclosed equipment room in the base. Lighthouse painted white, gallery green. The original 1-story stone keeper's cottage stands just behind the light tower. Trabas has a closeup, Werning has a photo, Guyomard and Carceller also have a photo, Google has a good street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the Avenue Anna le Bail near the point of the Saint-Philibert peninsula, marking the east side of the entrance to the Crac'h estuary. Site open, tower
* Kernevest (Crac'h Entrée Feu Postérieur)
1856. Inactive since 2012. 15 m (49 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern green. Werning has a good photo, Guyomard and Carceller have a photo by Alain Collouard, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the intersection of the Rue du Phare and the Rue de l'Étang on the east side of the Crac'h estuary, 560 m (0.35 mi) northwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-328; Admiralty D1050.1; NGA 0756.
* [Trinité-sur-Mer]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical cement block tower with gallery and an enclosed equipment room in the base. Lighthouse painted white, gallery red. Trabas has a closeup photo, Guyomard and Carceller have photos, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the wharf in Trinité-sur-Mer, on the west side of the Crac'h estuary. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-525; Admiralty D1052; NGA 0764.

Quiberon Lighthouses
Note: Quiberon is a town at the end of a long narrow peninsula pointing south from the Breton coast. In fact, the peninsula is what geologists call a tombolo: it is an island that has become attached to the mainland by a narrow sandbar. Although it was never much of a commercial port, Quiberon is now a popular seaside resort with two large harbors for small craft, Port Haliguen and Port Maria.
* Port Haliguen (2)
1856 (station established 1842). Inactive, probably since 1970. 12 m (39 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white with unpainted stone trim, lantern painted dark green. Christian Bachellier's photo is at right, Werning has a photo, Phareland has many photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was deactivated after the harbor was expanded and reconfigured to be primarily a harbor for pleasure craft; it was replaced by pierhead lights on the breakwaters. Located on the old breakwater at Port Haliguen on the northeast side of Quiberon. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-422; ex-Admiralty D1026.
[Port Haliguen Vieille Jetée]
1970. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 4 s. 7 m (23 ft) tower with a small equipment room at the base. Tower painted white, lantern red. In the photo at the bottom of Fichou's page, this light is on the left (distant from the camera). Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Port Haliguen is a small boat harbor in the lee (that is, to the northeast) of Quiberon. Located at the original end of the breakwater on the south side of the harbor; this location is now an elbow in the extended breakwater. Site status unknown. ARLHS FRA-424; Admiralty D1026; NGA 0736.
[Port Haliguen Nouvelle Jetée]
1970. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) tower with a small equipment room at the base. Tower painted white, lantern red. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. In the photo at the bottom of Fichou's page, this light is on the right (close to the camera). Located at the end of the extended breakwater on the south side of the harbor. Site status unknown. ARLHS FRA-423; Admiralty D1026.2; NGA 0732.
La Teignouse
1845. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); flash every 4 s, white or red depending on direction. 20 m (66 ft) cylindrical masonry tower with gallery, rising from the center of a 2-story circular keeper's house. Trabas has a photo, Nathalie Robart has a distant view, Wikimedia has several photos, and Google has a satellite view. Built on a small rocky islet, this is one of France's oldest offshore lighthouses. In 1983 the lighthouse was automated; the lantern was removed and replaced by an aerobeacon powered by a wind turbine. Lighthouse painted white; gallery, beacon, and wind turbine mast painted red. Located on a rock about 6.5 km (3.5 mi) east southeast of Quiberon. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-057; FR-0811; Admiralty D1022; NGA 0692.
Port Haliguen Light
Port Haliguen Light, Quiberon, April 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Christian Bachellier
* Port Maria (Quiberon)
1894. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); quick-flashing light, white, red or green depending on direction. 25 m (82 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with gray trim, lantern green. A fine photo by Christelle Camus-Bouclainville is at the top of this page, Werning has a good photo, Trabas has a closeup by Arno Siering, Jean-François Gornet has a nice 2009 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Klaus Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a good street view and a fuzzy satellite view. Port Maria is the traditional harbor of Quiberon, a town at the end of a long narrow peninsula pointing south from the Breton coast. Until 1962 the light was the rear light of a range; a shifting channel left the lighthouse off the range line. Located three blocks from the waterfront on the Rue du Phare in Quiberon. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-430; FR-0806; Admiralty D1016; NGA 0672.
* [Port Maria Môle Est]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 7 m (23 ft) round tower with an enclosed equipment room at the base. Lighthouse painted white, lantern green. Trabas has an excellent photo by Ronald Wöhrn, a closeup photo is available, Guyomard and Carceller have an aerial photo of the Phare de Port Maria in which the Môle Est light appears in the upper left corner, Google has a very distant street view of the two mole lights, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located at the end of the east mole of the historic harbor of Port Maria, directly in front of the Phare de Port Maria. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-613; Admiralty D1018; NGA 0688.
[Port Maria Jetée du Sud]
Date unknown (around 1962?). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); red light occulting twice every 6 s. 5 m (16 ft) round equipment room with the light mounted on the roof. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Trabas has a photo by Ronald Wöhrn, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater, which encloses the southwest side of Port Maria's harbor. Site status unknown. ARLHS FRA-612; Admiralty D1017; NGA 0684.

Île d'Houat and Île d'Hoëdic Lighthouses
Note: Houat and Hoëdic (Hœdic) are small islands located in the Baie de Quiberon east of Pointe de Kerdonis on Belle-Île. Both islands are accessible by ferry from Quiberon. Houat has a population of about 300, and there are barely 100 on Hoëdic.
* [Île d'Houat (Jetée de St. Gildas)]
1957. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); two white or green flashes every 6 s, depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) masonry tower with gallery; the light is displayed from a short mast. Tower painted white, mast and gallery green. Dominique Pomié has a photo, a closeup is available, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater mole at the village of Île d'Houat, on the northeast side of the island. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-627; Admiralty D1082; NGA 0720.
* [Hoëdic Jetée]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); flash every 4 s, white or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical cement block tower with gallery and an enclosed equipment room in the base. Lighthouse painted white. Guyomard and Carceller have a photo, Yves Daniel has a second photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located at the end of the west jetty at the harbor of Hoëdic, on the north side of the island. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D1084; NGA 0724.
* [Hoëdic (2)]
1857 (station established 1836). Inactive since 1880. Originally a 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-1/2 story stone keeper's house. The lighthouse was deactivated after the Grands-Cardinaux light was established offshore, and the upper portion of the light tower has been removed. However, the keeper's house remained in service as the onshore keeper's station for Grands-Cardinaux, and it survives today as a private residence. Guyomard and Carceller have a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the eastern tip of Hoëdic. Site and house closed (private) but the house can be seen from the road.
Grands-Cardinaux
1880. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); four white flashes every 15 s. 27 m (89 ft) stone tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper's quarters. Lighthouse painted red with a broad white horizontal band. A 2009 photo and a 2007 photo are available, Wikimedia has a distant view by Thomas Basset, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse guards the southern entrance to the Baie de Quiberon. Located on a rocky shoal about 4 km (2.5 mi) southeast of Hoëdic. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-017; FR-0816; Admiralty D1086; NGA 0728.

Belle-Île Lighthouses
Note: Belle-Île-en-Mer, located about 13 km (8 mi) south of Quiberon, is the largest of the Breton islands, with a length of about 17 km (11 mi) northwest to southeast. The island is accessible by ferry from both Quiberon and Lorient.
**** Goulphar (Grand Phare de Belle-Île)
1836. Active; focal plane 87 m (285 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 52 m (171 ft) granite tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story circular base attached to a large 1- and 2-story keeper's complex. A photo is at right, Trabas has an excellent photo by Ronald Wöhrn, Nicolas Compagnon has a 2007 photo, Phareland has many photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. One of France's most powerful lighthouses, the Phare de Goulphar is designed to have a range of 50 km (31 mi). It is staffed as a control point for many lighthouses on the south side of Brittany, and it also serves as an accommodation for pilots. At the end of World War II, it was discovered that German troops had placed 127 kg (280 lb) of explosives in the tower to blow it up; German POWs were ordered to remove the explosives, and they managed to do so safely. The large keeper's house complex was expanded in 1951-52. Located in the village of Kervilahouen, about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of Le Palais overlooking the open Atlantic. Site open; tower open Wednesday through Sunday in April, May and June, daily in July and August, and Thursday through Saturday in October, also at certain holiday periods. ARLHS FRA-301; FR-0799; Admiralty D1032; NGA 0640.
Phare de Goulphar
Goulphar Light (Grand Phare de Belle-Île), Bangor, April 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by mntarget2002
Pointe des Poulains
1868. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (59 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 1-1/2 story stone keeper's house. Building painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern painted red. The south side of the roof is covered by solar panels. Grégory Bittan's's photo is at right, a fine 2007 photo is available, Trabas has a photo by Ronald Wöhrn, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was converted to solar power in 1999. Located on a small islet just off the northwestern point of Belle-Île. The lighthouse may be accessible at low tide, but the approach to the light station is through the Golf Club de Belle-Île-en-Mer. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-059; FR-0798; Admiralty D1030; NGA 0644.
* Sauzon
1859. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); quick-flashing green light. 9 m (30 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern green, gallery rail black. Trabas has a photo by Ronald Wöhrn, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the harbor of Sauzon, a small port on the northwestern coast of Belle-Île. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-469; Admiralty D1044; NGA 0648.
* Le Palais Môle du Nord (2)
1891 (station established 1839). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); quick-flashing green light. 10 m (33 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern green. Trabas has a good photo by Ronald Wöhrn, Guyomard and Carceller also have photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view of the two mole lights, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the mole enclosing the northwest side of the harbor of Le Palais, the principal town of Belle-Île. Good view from ferries arriving from the mainland. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-341; Admiralty D1042; NGA 0660.
* Le Palais Môle du Sud
1891. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); quick-flashing red light. 10 m (33 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. Trabas has a good photo by Ronald Wöhrn, Guyomard and Carceller also have photos, Google has a street view of the two mole lights, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the mole enclosing the southeast side of the harbor of Le Palais, the principal town of Belle-Île. Good view from ferries arriving from the mainland. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-342; Admiralty D1040; NGA 0664.
Phare des Poulains
Pointe des Poulains Light, Sauzon, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Grégory Bittan
* Pointe de Kerdonis
1879. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); three red flashes every 15 s. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 1-1/2 story stone keeper's house. Building painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern and gallery painted red. Trabas has a closeup by Ronald Wöhrn, Bernard Fontaines has a 2008 photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the easternmost point of Belle-Île, about 5 km (3 mi) northeast of Locmaria. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-323; FR-0800; Admiralty D1036; NGA 0668.

Plateau des Birvideaux Lighthouse
Les Birvideaux
1934. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 29 m (95 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper's quarters, mounted on a large concrete base. Lighthouse painted black with a broad red horizontal band below the lantern. A photo is at right, C. Schaffner has a 2010 view, and Fichou has a lengthy history. The lighthouse marks a very dangerous rocky shoal. Efforts to mark this hazard began in 1880, and actual construction began in 1905. Including a suspension of work during World War I, construction required 29 years, longer than for any other French lighthouse. Located in the open Atlantic about 13 km (8 mi) west of Quiberon and a similar distance north northwest of Belle-Île. Accessible only by boat in often-heavy seas. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-199; Admiralty D1014; NGA 0636.

Etel Lighthouse
* [Etel (5)]
1951 (station established 1859). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 11 m (36 ft) triangular skeletal mast, painted red. Trabas has a photo, C. Mayette has a 2007 photo, and Bing has a distant satellite view. The first beacon was replaced in 1872 with a cast iron lighthouse; Huelse has a historic postcard view of that light. It was destroyed during World War II and replaced by a temporary wood skeletal tower in 1947. Fichou has a photo of the fourth tower, a square skeletal lighthouse, and Werning also has a photo. That lighthouse was on the beach; the present light is at the end of a short jetty projecting from the point. Located at the end of the Rue du Sémaphore, on the west side of the entarnce to the Etel estuary, about 16 km (10 mi) east of Port-Louis. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D1012; NGA 0632.

Port-Louis Lighthouses
* Kerbel Feu Postérieur (2) (Phare de Poulfanc)
1857 (station established 1854). Inactive since 1913. 15 m (49 ft) stone tower with stone lantern room and gallery; the light was shown through a small square opening in the lantern room. Lighthouse is unpainted gray stone. Google has a street view, and Bing has an aerial view. The light was found to be not high enough, so the lighthouse was replaced by a new tower in 1913. This little-known lighthouse appears to be in private ownership today. Located just off the Route de la Croizetière, about 400 m (1/4 mi) northeast of the newer tower (next entry). Site status unknown, but the lighthouse can be seen from streets nearby; tower closed. ARLHS FRA-443.
Phare des Birvideaux
Les Birvideaux Light, April 2003
Panoramio photo copyright Yaouank; permission requested
** Kerbel Feu Postérieur (3)
1913 (station established 1854). Inactive since 1989. 23 m (75 ft) granite tower, adjacent to a keeper's house. The lantern has been replaced by a round, glass-enclosed observation room. Tower painted white, lantern black. A photo is available, Wikimedia has a view from the bay, Google has a good street view, and Bing has an aerial view. Originally the lighthouse was similar to the Port Maria lighthouse in Quiberon (see the photo at the top of the page); a photo and a 2005 distant view show its former appearance. It is now the centerpiece of a development that includes restaurants and other facilities. The keeper's house has been renovated and is available for accommodations. Located at 71 Route de Port-Louis in Riantec, on the east side of Port-Louis. Site and tower open. Site manager: Phare de Kerbel. ARLHS FRA-798.
Les Trois Pierres
1896. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); quick-flashing red or green light, depending on direction. 17 m (56 ft) octagonal solid reinforced concrete tower with gallery and a small lantern; access to the gallery is by an external ladder. Tower painted with black and white horizontal bands. Trabas has a photo, Guyomard and Carceller have a photo (click several times to page past other lights) and a second photo, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This light guards an infamous reef in the middle of the entrance to the Rade (roads) de Lorient. Originally only 11 m (36 ft) tall, the tower was increased in height by 6 m (20 ft) in 1913. It was damaged during World War II and quickly repaired after the war. In early July 2002 it was run over by a fishing trawler. Work to restore it began in March 2004 and was presumably completed that year. Located in the entrance to the Rade de Lorient, roughly 1.5 km (1 mi) from either side. Accessible only by boat; there should be good views from Gâvres to the east or Larmor-Plage to the north. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-526; Admiralty D0974; NGA 0556.
Les Soeurs (Port-Louis Feu Antérieur)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); quick-flashing white light, intensified on the range line. 11 m (36 ft) octagonal solid reinforced concrete tower with gallery and a small lantern; access to the gallery is by an external ladder. Tower painted red with a white horizonal band. Trabas has a photo, Guyomard and Carceller have a photo (click several times to page past other lights), and Bing has an aerial view. This is the front light of the entrance range for Lorient. Located about 500 m (0.3 mi) southwest of the Port-Louis waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS FRA-337; Admiralty D0971; NGA 0565.
* Port-Louis Feu Postérieur
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); quick-flashing white light, intensified on the range line. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower mounted atop a 2-story building. The tower carries are large daymark colored with red and white horizontal bands. Trabas has a photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located within a walled compound on the Rue de l'Hôpital, 740 m (1/2 mi) northeast of the front light. Site status unknown, but the light is easily seen from the street. ARLHS FRA-337; Admiralty D0971.1; NGA 0565.1.

Lorient Lighthouses
Passe de la Citadelle (Île Saint-Michel) Feu Postérieur
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); quick-flashing green light intensified on the range line. 19 m (62 ft) semicircular cylindrical concrete tower, painted white; gallery rail at the top painted green. Werning has a photo, Trabas has a photo, and Bing has an aerial view. Located off the northwest shore of the Île Saint-Michel in Lorient harbor, opposite the Kéroman district. Accessible only by boat. Admiralty D0978.1; NGA 0580.
Passe de la Citadelle (Île Saint-Michel) Feu Antérieur
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); quick-flashing green light intensified on the range line. 14 m (46 ft) round concrete tower, painted white; gallery rail at the top painted green. Werning has a photo, Trabas has a photo, and Bing has an aerial view. Located off the southwest tip of the Île Saint-Michel in Lorient harbor, opposite the Kéroman district. Accessible only by boat. Admiralty D0978; NGA 0576.

Larmor-Plage Lighthouses
La Petite Jument
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); red light, 3 s on, 1 s off. 12 m (39 ft) round metal tower, painted red and mounted on a round stone pier. Werning has a photo, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located on the west side of the entrance channel to Lorient, just off the citadel of Kernével. There's good view from shore. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-576; Admiralty D0982; NGA 0592.
* Kernével Feu Postérieur (3)
1960 (station established 1877). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); quick-flashing red light, intensified on the range line. 16 m (52 ft) square concrete tower with square concrete lantern room, attached to the front corner of a 1 1/2-story keeper's house. Werning's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, Google has a good street view, and Bing has an aerial view. The original lighthouse was destroyed in 1944. A temporary light was erected in 1950 and served until the present lighthouse was built. This is the rear light of a downstream range that guides ships outbound from the Rade de Pen-Mané, the main harbor of Lorient. The front light is on an interesting little skeletal tower. Located on the Rue du Petite Phare in Kernéval, in Larmor-Plage on the south side of Lorient. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-327; Admiralty D0996.1; NGA 0616.
Feu Postérieur de Kernéval
Feu Postérieur, Kernéval
photo copyright Malte Werning; used by permission

Île de Groix Lighthouses
Note: The Île de Groix is about 5 km (3 mi) long and 3 km (2 mi) wide, oriented from east to west, and lying about 3 km (2 mi) from the mainland southwest of Lorient. The island is accessible by ferry from Lorient and is a popular tourist destination.
* Port Tudy Môle du Nord
1893. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (33 ft) cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery green. Guyomard and Carceller have a good photo by Claude Lessertisseur, Clara Grillière has a photo, Jean-Baptiste Richard has a photo of both Port Tudy lighthouses, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the north breakwater enclosing the harbor of Port Tudy, on the north side of the island. Accessible by walking the mole; there are also excellent views from ferries arriving from Lorient. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-437; Admiralty D0966; NGA 0540.
* Port Tudy Môle de l'Est
1893. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); green light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (33 ft) cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white with one narrow red horizontal band near the base, lantern and gallery red. A photo is at right, Guyomard and Carceller have a good photo by Claude Lessertisseur, Peter Falk has a photo, Jean-Baptiste Richard has a photo of both Port Tudy lighthouses, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the east breakwater enclosing the harbor of Port Tudy, on the north side of the island. Accessible by walking the mole; there are also excellent views from ferries arriving from Lorient. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-436; Admiralty D0964; NGA 0536.
* Pointe de la Croix (Pointe de Surville) (3)
1898 (station established 1830). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting once every 4 s. 4 m (14 ft) cast iron lantern, painted red, mounted on a concrete base. A closeup photo is available, Guyomard and Carceller have a photo by Valentine Verdet of the lantern perched on the bluff above the beach, Trabas has a view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. Sometimes claimed to be France's smallest lighthouse. This light was initally established within the walls of the historic Fort de Surville, one of the fortifications guarding the approach to Lorient. Two taller lighthouses, built in 1830 and 1845, had to be removed because they came into the line of fire of the fort's artillery. Finally the light was removed from the fort to eliminate this problem. Located at the eastern point of the island. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-253; Admiralty D0968; NGA 0544.
* Pointe des Chats
1898. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); red flash every 5 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 2-story keeper's house. Building painted white with unpainted stone trim; lantern painted red. Trabas has a good closeup by Klaus Potschien, Benoit Royer has a 2008 photo, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the southeastern point of the island, about 2 km (1.2 mi) southeast of the village of Locmaria. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-238; FR-0766; Admiralty D0970; NGA 0548.
Port Tudy East Mole Lighthouse
Môle de l'Est Light, Port Tudy, September 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by hugovk
*** Pen-Men
1839. Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); four white flashes every 25 s. 28 m (92 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Lantern and upper half of tower painted black with unpainted stone trim; lower half of tower and keeper's house painted white with unpainted stone trim. A photo is at right, Trabas has a fine closeup by Klaus Potschien, Barbora Fabiánová has a good 2007 photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. The original keeper's house was square with the tower in the center; subsequently the house was considerably enlarged with an addition on the seaward side. The station is staffed. Located in a nature reserve at the west end of the island. Site open, tower reported open but we have no information on the schedule. ARLHS FRA-387; FR-0762; Admiralty D0962; NGA 0532.

Ploemeur Lighthouses
* Lomener
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); quick-flashing light, white, red, or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) hourglass-shaped tower, painted white with a red horizontal band at the top. No lantern. Trabas has a closeup photo, and Google has a street view, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the waterfront on the east side of Lomener, a fishing port about 12 km (7.5 mi) southwest of Lorient. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-592; Admiralty D0961; NGA 0526.
* Kerroch
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) semicircular concrete tower, rising from a square 1-story stone equipment room. No lantern. Tower painted white with a red top; the equipment room is unpainted stone. A good photo is available, Trabas has a photo, Bernard Cupic also has a photo, and Google has a distant street view, Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory at Kerroch, about 15 km (9 mi) southwest of Lorient. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS FRA-569; Admiralty D0960; NGA 0528.
Phare de Pen-Men
Pen-Men Light, Île de Groix, October 2006
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Pline

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Southern Finistère | South: Loire Coast

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted October 4, 2005. Checked and revised March 21, 2014. Lighthouses: 40. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.