Lighthouses of Madagascar

Madagascar, the world's fourth-largest island, lies off the southeastern coast of Africa. The island became a French colony in 1885 but has been independent since 1960. Long separated from any other continent, the mini-continent of Madagascar is famous for its unusual plants and wildlife.

The lighthouses of Madagascar, a heritage from France, deserve more attention than they have received in the past. The lack of photos is disappointing, since many of the lighthouses are accessible near coastal towns. Current reports are needed; it appears that many of the historic coastal lights have been abandoned, although harbor lights are being maintained.

French place names in Madagascar have been replaced officially by names in the Malagasy language. However, the traditional French names also remain in common use.

Lighthouses in Madagascar are operated by the Agence Portuaire Maritime & Fluviale (APMF). The Malagasy word for lighthouse, fara, was adapted from the French word phare. In Malagasy, nosy is an island and tanjona is a cape.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Leuchttürme
This German-language pdf file, posted by Dilag Tours, has photos of many Madagascar lighthouses.
Phares d'Afrique
Photos posted by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller on their Phares du Monde web site.
Online List of Lights - Madagascar
Photos by various photographers posted by Alex Trabas.
World of Lighthouses - Madagascar
Photos available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Madagascar
Photos available from Wikimedia (as of June 2012, only one lighthouse was included).
Afrikanische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Phare de Cap Est
Tanjona Antsirikos (Cap Est) Light, Ambohitralanana
November 2006 (optical equipment not yet installed)
Panoramio photo copyright eldaron; used by permission

Northwest Coast Lighthouses

Melaky Region Lighthouses
Maintirano (2)
Date unknown (station established 1945). Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); continuous white light. 12 m (39 ft) white octagonal tower. Yvan Acker has a photo, but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. The original light had a focal plane of 32 m (105 ft). Located in Maintirano, a seaport on the "bulge" of Madagascar's central west coast. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-011; Admiralty D7032; NGA 32620.
Tanjona Vilanandro (Cap Saint-André) (2)
2007 (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 24 m (79 ft) metal pylon. No photo available; Bing has a satellite view of the station but the pylon is not seen. The new light replaces a 15 m (49 ft) pylon. Cap Saint-André is a major cape on the northwest coast of Madagascar, about 200 km (125 mi) west southwest of Mahajanga. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7033.7; NGA 32628.

Boeny Region (Mahajanga Area) Lighthouses
*** Katsepy (Katsépé)
1901. Active; focal plane 121 m (397 ft); white flash every 5 s. 36 m (118 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and three galleries. Tower painted white; lantern, upper two galleries and watch room painted black. A 2010 photo is at right, Guyomard and Carceller have Luc Schaepelynck's photo, a 2006 photo shows the lighthouse freshly painted, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This historic tower, prefabricated in France, stands atop a high cliff, providing what one tourist site calls a vue panoramique inégalable. Pierre Marchand's 2006 photo shows the lighthouse freshly repainted. Located at the western entrance to the Baie de Bombetoka, the best harbor of Madagascar's west coast, about 7 km (4.5 mi) north of Katsepy. Katsepy is connected by ferry to the provincial capital, Mahajanga (Majunga). Site open, tower open for climbing. ARLHS MAG-016; Admiralty D7034; NGA 32640.
Mahajanga Range Front (Île Verte, Nosy Beza)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off, intensified on the range line. 18 m (59 ft) skeletal tower, painted white with a black top. No photo available; the tower is difficult to see in Google's satellite view of the station. Located on Nosy Beza, a small island about 4 km (2.5 mi) southeast of Pointe de Sable, Mahajanga. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7035; NGA 32660.
Mahajanga Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 58 m (190 ft), white light, intensified on the range line, occulting once every 6 s. 19 m (62 ft) round white tower. No photo available, but Google has a good satellite view. Located on the mainland 5.4 km (3.4 mi) southeast of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7035.1; NGA 32664.
* Pointe de Sable
1900. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 12 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cast iron tower with tapered base, four ribs, lantern, and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery black. Gilles Hosch has a 2008 photo, Klaus Huelse has another historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This is a typical French prefabricated tourelle. It has been repainted recently and seems to be in good condition. The lighthouse is on the campus of the École National d'Enseignement Maritime, the national merchant marine and fisheries institute. Located on the west side of the older Mahajanga harbor, marking the entrance from the Baie de Bombetoka; a map is available. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: École National d'Enseignement Maritime. ARLHS MAG-034; Admiralty D7037; NGA 32644.
Katsepy Light
Katsepy Light, Mahajanga, October 2010
Panoramio photo copyright Noita02; permission requested
* Anorombato (Pointe du Caïman) (2)
1900. Active; focal plane 42 m (137 ft); white, red, or green light depending on direction, occulting three times every 12 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern black. A closeup photo and a photo of the top of the tower are available, and Google has a satellite view. The original light had a focal plane of only 11 m (36 ft). Located on the point of land opposite the Katsepy lighthouse, marking the east side of the entrance to the Baie de Bombetoka, on the northwest side of Mahajanga (Majunga). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-021; Admiralty D7036; NGA 32652.

Sofia Region (Analalava Area) Lighthouses
* Analalava
1910. Active; focal plane 62 m (203 ft); white, red, or green light depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 9 m (30 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern black. Justin Lau has a 2006 closeup photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on heights above the town of Analalava. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-020; Admiralty D7048; NGA 32672.
** Nosy Lava
1910. Inactive, although still listed with focal plane 122 m (400 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) round cast iron tower gallery; the lantern has been removed or has fallen from the tower. Originally painted with black and white horizontal bands, but now covered mostly with rust. Keeper's house in ruins. The lighthouse appears to be in terrible condition in a 2012 photo and in Frédéric Bastat's 2006 photo, but the tower is not seen in Bing's cloudy satellite view. Nosy Lava is an island about 15 km (10 mi) off the coast and about 25 km (15 mi) northwest of Analalava. Tours are available from Analalava. Located at the highest point of the island. Site open, tower reported open to tours. ARLHS MAG-014; Admiralty D7052; NGA 32680.

Northern Madagascar Lighthouses

Western Diana Region (Nosy Bé Area) Lighthouses
** Nosy Iranja
1909. Reactivated (inactive 1990s?-2009); focal plane 75 m (246 ft); white flash every 5 s. 20 m (66 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Upper 2/5 of the lighthouse painted black, lower 3/5 white. The keeper's house is in use as a school. Serge Latour's photo is at right, the Musée National de la Marine has Patrick Young's 2011 photo, Jonny Stensby has a 2007 photo, Lightphotos.net has a photo, a 2005 photo is available, Diego Rassiga also has a photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. A December 2005 visitor has a photo and reported that the stairway and platform were becoming hazardous. In 2009 the old lighthouse was repainted and reactivated. The lighthouse was prefabricated in France by the firm of Gustave Eiffel. Nosy Iranja is a resort island located off the Ampasindava Peninsula about 55 km (35 mi) north of Anorotsanga; the lighthouse is one of the listed attractions of the island. Located at the highest point of the island. Site open, tower open but rather dangerous. ARLHS MAG-013; Admiralty D7056; NGA 32684.
** Tanikely (2)
1908 (station established 1884). Inactive. 10 m (33 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white with a black horizontal band below the gallery, lantern painted black. A 2007 photo is available, Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. In a note with another photo, the lighthouse is described as hors service, out of service. A 2006 photo shows the gallery crowded with visitors. Located on a small island about 15 km (9 mi) south of Hell-Ville, between Nosy Bé and the mainland. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-038; Admiralty D7058; NGA 32688.
Nosy Vorona (3)
Date unknown (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two flashes every 6 s, white or red depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) white square concrete (?) tower with gallery but no lantern. Modern keeper's house complex; the keeper rents rooms to tourists. Bénédicte Rousseau has a 2009 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island halfway between Nosy Bé and Nosy Komba. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-032; Admiralty D7062; NGA 32692.
Nosy Faly
1939. Active; focal plane 75 m (246 ft); continuous light, white or red depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) gray octagonal tower. A photo is available (helfway down the page), and Google has a satellite view of the station. Located on a small island about 8 km (5 mi) north of the Ambato Peninsula and 20 km (13 mi) east of Nosy Bé. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-030; Admiralty D7068; NGA 32716.
Nosy Iranja Light
Nosy Iranja Light, March 2010
Panoramio photo copyright Serge Latour
permission requested
Nosy Anambo
1911. Active; focal plane 42 m (138 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, occulting three times every 12 s. 27 m (89 ft) skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern and gallery red. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. Located on a small island about 40 km (25 mi) northwest of Cap Saint-Sébastien, near the northern tip of Madagascar. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-028; Admiralty D7072; NGA 32728.

Eastern Diana Region (Antsiranana Area) Lighthouses
Cap d'Ambre (2)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Reactivated (inactive late 1990s- ca. 2007); focal plane 70 m (230 ft); white flash every 5 s. 32 m (105 ft) 12-sided concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower is unpainted white concrete; lantern and gallery painted black. A 1st or 2nd order clamshell Fresnel lens is in use. A photo is at right, Guyomard and Carceller have Alphonse Randrianasolo's photo, and Google has a good satellite view. A closeup photo (at the bottom of the page) revealed a lighthouse in poor condition, with broken glass in the lantern. However, this is one of several lighthouses renovated in recent years, according to the Someah consulting firm. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the original lighthouse, a cast iron tower very similar to the Katsepy lighthouse shown above. Located at the northern tip of Madagascar. Adventure excursions from Antsiranana (Diego-Suarez) reach the site. Site open if you reach it, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-003; Admiralty D6914; NGA 32328.
Nosy Langoro (Îlot des Aigrettes)
1898. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, 3 s on, 1 s off, 1 s on, 1 s off. 8 m (26 ft), lantern mounted atop a small 1-story keeper's house. House is white; lantern painted black. Huelse has a historic postcard view and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is located on a small island in the middle of Antsiranana Bay, a large bay in northeastern Madagascar. Ships make a turn from west to south southwest near the island to approach the port of Antsiranana (formerly called Diego-Suarez), and the light shows white sectors to define both channels. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower probably closed. ARLHS MAG-031; Admiralty D6920; NGA 32332.
* Antsiranana Port (Port de la Nièvre) (2)
1960s (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of the 2-story port office. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Trabas has Rainer Arndt's photo, the lighthouse can be seen at the right in a photo by Patrick Rodriguez and in a second photo (click on the photo for magnification), it's at the bottom in an aerial photo of the city, and a Google satellite view is also available. Located on the waterfront in Antsiranana. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-001; Admiralty D6922; NGA 32336.
Cap Andranomody
1960s? Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); continuous red light. 10 m (30 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white with red trim at the top. A 2007 photo is available, also a 2008 view from the sea, Guyomard and Carceller have photos by Frédéric Arsac, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was restored in 2010; it was quite battered in a May 2010 photo, but François Dorothé's October 2010 photo shows the results of the restoration. Located on an islet just offshore, about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) west northwest of Cap Miné. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-002; Admiralty D6919; NGA 32360.
Phare de Cap d'Ambre
Cap d'Ambre Light, Antsiranana, September 2004
Panoramio photo copyright Enzomad; permission requested
* Cap Miné (2)
Date unknown (station established 1895). Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome black. Tim Harber's 2010 photo is at right, Pierre Turtaut has a 2011 photo, a 2007 photo and a closeup are available, Dilag Tours has two photos about halfway down their pdf document (look for the caption "am Zugang..."), a view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the original lighthouse, a typical French cast iron tourelle mounted on a large square stone base. The present lighthouse was repainted and restored in 2009. Located on the south side of the Passe d'Orangea, the entrance to Antsiranana Bay, about 3 km (2 mi) northeast of Ramena. The nearby beach of Baie des Dunes is accessible by tours from Antsiranana. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-004; Admiralty D6918; NGA 32356.

Vohémar District Lighthouses
Nosy Ankao (Nosy Akao)
1939. Reported inactive; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); should display four white flashes every 20 s. 18 m (59 ft) round concrete tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Erick Ask visited this site in early 2006 and reported, "The lighthouse is not functioning, windows broken, unpainted, cement chipping away." Located on Nosy Ankao, the largest of the Leven Islands, about 80 km (50 mi) southeast of Cap Miné and about 6 km (4 mi) off the mainland. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-012; Admiralty D6930; NGA 32364.
Vohémar (Range Front) (Beacon No. 3)
Date unknown (station established 1919). Active; focal plane 4 m (13 ft); continuous green light. 7 m (23 ft) square white concrete tower. A distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a reef on the north side of the entrance to Vohémar. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6936; NGA 32368.
Vohémar Range Rear
Date unknown (station established 1919). Inactive. 8 m (26 ft) rectangular pyramidal concrete tower with gallery, attached to a 1-story concrete keeper's cottage. Formerly painted white, the lighthouse is abandoned and falling into ruin. Dilag Tours has a good photo about 3/4 of the way down their pdf document, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is barely visible on the ridgetop in a photo of the harbor. The harbor of Iharana (Vohémar) is a sound with a narrow entrance from the sea; this lighthouse is on the west side of the sound aligned with the entrance. Located in a forested area about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of Iharana. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-044; Admiralty D6936.1; NGA 32372.

Phare de Cap Miné
Cap Miné Light, Antsiranana, April 2010
Panoramio photo copyright Tim Harber; used by permission

Vohémar Beacon No. 4
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); continuous red light. 7 m (23 ft) concrete tower, painted red. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a reef on the south side of the harbor entrance. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-043; Admiralty D6938; NGA 32376.

Antalaha District Lighthouses
* Antalaha Range Front
1955. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); continuous green light, intensified on the range line. 7 m (23 ft) round concrete tower with gallery, painted white. A 2007 closeup is available, Dilag Tours has a good photo a little over halfway down their pdf document, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the beachfront of Antalaha, a short distance north of the harbor. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6944; NGA 32400.
Antalaha Range Rear
1955. Active; focal plane 82 m (269 ft); white light occulting twice every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower, painted "black and white" according to NGA. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the crest of a ridge 1 km (0.6 mi) west of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6944.1; NGA 32404.
Tanjona Antsirikos (Cap Est) (2)
2007 (station established 1906). Active (?); focal plane 70 m (230 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. Approx. 19 m (62 ft) round cylindrical white concrete tower with a flared top. A photo of the new lighthouse (still under construction in November 2006) is at the top of this page, and Google has a satellite view of the station. A distant photo of the former cast iron lighthouse is also available; it was demolished earlier in 2006. Aptly named, the lighthouse marks the easternmost point of Madagascar. Located about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Ambohitralanana. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-018; Admiralty D6946; NGA 32408.
Tanjona Masoala (Cap Masoala)
1970s? Active; focal plane 80 m (252 ft); five white flashes every 20 s. 25 m (82 ft) round unpainted rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery. A photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. The Masoala Peninsula projects southward, sheltering the Bay of Antongil. Most of the peninsula is included in the Parc National de Masoala. The cape itself is not included, but the offshore waters are a marine reserve. Located on the southeastern tip of the peninsula. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-019; Admiralty D6948.3; NGA 32412.
Nosy Béhentona
1954. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); three white flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 15 s. 10 m (33 ft) round rubblestone tower with gallery. Tower is unpainted stone with wood trim painted white. No current photo available; Bing has a distant satellite view of the island. Located on a small island off Cap Baldrisy (Cap Antsirikira), at the southwestern tip of the Masoala Peninsula, about 8 km (5 mi) west of Cap Masoala. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-029; Admiralty D6948.5; NGA 32416.

Tanjona Masoala Light, Ambodilaitry, December 2008
Panoramio photo copyright eldaron
used by permission

Central East Coast Lighthouses

Nosy Boraha (Île Sainte-Marie) Lighthouses
Note: Nosy Boraha (Île Sainte-Marie) is a long, slender island parallel to the coast and about 15 km (10 mi) offshore. Formerly known as a pirate base, it is now a tourist destination known for its beaches, wildlife, and scuba diving sites.
Îlot Madame (2)
Date unknown (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green light occulting once every 4 s. 8 m (26 ft) white round tower. A photo has the light at the left, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the northern tip of a small island marking the entrance to the harbor of Ambodifotatra (Port Sainte-Marie) on the southwestern coast of Nosy Boraha (Île Sainte-Marie). Presumably accessible only by boat; there should be a good view from ferries arriving from the mainland. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-025; Admiralty D6952; NGA 32444.
Rocher aux Sorciers (Pointe des Sorciers)
1910. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 6 m (20 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white; the light was originally shown through a window. Dilag Tours has a photo about 3/8 the way down their pdf document (look for the caption "Leuchtturm auf Sainte-Marie..."), and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island on the north side of the harbor of Ambodifotatra (Port Sainte-Marie). Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6956; NGA 32440.
** Lohatanjona Antsirakakambana (Pointe Albrand, Nosy Boraha) (2)
1931 (station established 1906). Active; focal plane 80 m (262 ft); white flash every 5 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cast iron tower with six ribs, lantern and gallery, mounted on a concrete base. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black or red. Johan Slaghuis has an October 2008 photo showing a severely rusted tower, a 2011 photo is available, and Olivier Pulinckx has a black and white photo of unknown date, but Google's satellite view is too distant to show any detail. This is typical prefabricated tourelle. Located at the northern tip of the island, about 5 km (3 mi) from the resort town of Ambatoroa. Site open, tower open by arrangement with the keeper on duty. ARLHS MAG-010; Admiralty D6950; NGA 32436.
** Lohatanjona Vohibato (Pointe Blévec, Île aux Nattes) (2)
1914 (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); continuous white light. 7 m (23 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern black. A photo is at right, another good closeup photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Catherine Reichardt visited the lighthouse in May 2011 and reported that despite its poor appearance the light was active, powered by two automobile batteries. The lighthouse is located at the southern end of Nosy Nato (Île aux Nattes), which is separated from the southern tip of Nosy Boraha (Île Sainte-Marie) by a narrow channel. There are resorts on the island, and transportation is available. Site open, tower reported open by arrangement with the keeper. ARLHS MAG-033; Admiralty D6958; NGA 32452.
Île aux Nattes Light
Île aux Nattes Light, November 2006
Flickr photo copyright yvon974; permission requested

Toamasina Rural and Urban District Lighthouses
* Lakaria (Lakaria Hill)
1934. Active; focal plane 54 m (177 ft); white light occulting once every 6 s. 11 m (36 ft) white tower. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a hill at Fenoarivo-Atsinanana (Fénérive). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-026; Admiralty D6960; NGA 32456.
Nosy Alagnagna (Île aux Prunes, Nosy Alanana, Nosy Alañaña)
1932. Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); three white flashes, separated by 5 s, every 25 s. 60 m (197 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower is white concrete; lantern and gallery painted black. A photo is at right, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a good satellite view. The tower is 1 m taller than the Port Sa'id lighthouse in Egypt, so it is the tallest African lighthouse if Madagascar is considered part of Africa. Located on a small island about 16 km (10 mi) north northeast of Toamasina (Tamatave), the provincial capital and principal port of central eastern Madagascar. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-009; Admiralty D6972; NGA 32460.
Toamasina Grande Passe de l'Est (Salamazay) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); quick-flashing white light. 14 m (43 ft) "pyramidal" tower. No photo available; Bing's satellite view shows a tower rising from a small building. Located on the beach about 5 km (3 mi) north of Toamasina. Site presumably open, tower closed. Admiralty D6973; NGA 32464.
Toamasina Grande Passe de l'Est (Salamazay) Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); quick-flashing white light, intensified on the range line. 16 m (52 ft) "pyramidal" tower. No photo available, and the tower is rather obscure in Bing's satellite view. Located 950 m (0.6 mi) west of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6973.1; NGA 32468.
* Pointe Tanio (Toamasina, Tamatave) (2)
Late 1990s (station established 1903). Active; focal plane about 40 m (131 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, occulting three times every 12 s. Approx. 37 m (121 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted white concrete; lantern and gallery painted black. A closeup photo is available, Trabas has Rainer Arndt's view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse, a classic 18 m (59 ft) tapered cast iron tower, was undermined and left leaning at 45° by Tropical Cyclone Geralda in February 1994. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the older tower. Located on a point of land at the northern entrance to the harbor of Toamasina (Tamatave); a map is available. ARLHS MAG-017; Admiralty D6976; NGA 32476.
* Toamasina (Tamatave) Immeuble Portuaire (Harbor Building)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three flashes, in a 2+1 pattern, every 15 s, white, red, or green depending on direction. Lantern mounted a multistory building painted white with blue trim. A 2010 photo, a second photo, and an older photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the waterfront in Toamasina. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-042; Admiralty D6978; NGA 32480.

Île aux Prunes, Toamasina, October 2006
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by maxsnet

Vatomandry District Lighthouse
* Vatomandry
Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal concrete tower; the light was shone through a window. Jan Bodo Lessmann has a very distant photo, Dilag Tours has a photo about halfway down their pdf document, and the shadow of the tower is visible in a Google satellite view. The harbor entrance at Vatomandry has silted up almost completely and there are no longer any harbor facilities. Located on the barrier island opposite Vatomandry, about 400 m (1/4 mi) north of what's left of the entrance. Site appears open, tower closed.

Mahanoro District Lighthouse
* Mahanoro
1936. Active (?); focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light occulting once every 6 s. 14 m (46 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a round concrete pedestal. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery black. A photo shows the lighthouse to be in poor condition, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a prominent cape just south of Mahanoro. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6988; NGA 32496.

Southeast Coast Lighthouses

Manakara-Atsimo District Lighthouses
* Mananjary Transverse Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); green light, intensified on the range line and occulting once every 4 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. Wikimedia has Arend Sikkema's closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the dune above the beach about 3 km (2 mi) north of Mananjary. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6995; NGA 32508.
Mananjary Transverse Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous green light, intensified on the range line. 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located 400 m (1/4 mi) north northwest of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty D6995.1; NGA 32512.
* Emokala Range Front
1939. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); continuous green light. 12 m (39 ft) octagonal concrete tower with a small, off-center lantern. All paint has worn off the tower, leaving it as unpainted white concrete. Bing has a satellite view. Located just behind the beach about 5 km (3 mi) north of Manakara, near the airport. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D6998; NGA 32520.
* Manakara (Emokala Range Rear)
1939. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); four white flashes every 25 s. 29 m (95 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern, gallery, and watch room painted black, the rest of the tower white. A photo by A. Hovestadt is at right, Guyomard and Carceller have J. Evenat's photo, Alain Villevielle has a 2007 photo, Isabelle Jolivat has a view from the train station, and Google has a satellite view. Manakara is a seaport on Madagascar's southeast coast, linked by railroad to the former provincial capital of Fianarantsoa. Located on a hilltop behind the airport 5 km (3 mi) north of Manakara and 1056 m (0.6 mi) northwest of the front light. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-007; Admiralty D6998.1; NGA 32524.
* Manakara Middle Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); quick-flashing white light, visible only on and near the range line. 13 m (43 ft) octagonal concrete tower. The lighthouse was formerly painted white with one black horizontal band, and traces of the black band remain. Bing has a satellite view. The front light is on a small tower at the beach about 800 m (1/2 mi) east. Located about 1.7 km (1.1 mi) southwest of the Emokala lighthouse and 3 km (2 mi) north of Manakara. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty D7000.1; NGA 32532.
Manakara Residency (La Résidence)
1955. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white, red, or green light depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s. 10 m (33 ft) white octagonal tower. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view of the location. Information is needed on his light. Located on the Manakara waterfront, a barrier island. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-027; Admiralty D7006; NGA 32544.

Farafangana District Lighthouse
Farafangana (Charbonnier) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1939). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white light occulting once every 6 s. 16 m (52 ft) octagonal tower, painted white with a black horizontal band. Dilag-Tours has a photo (pdf document, top of page 2), and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was 12 m (39 ft) in height. Located on the south side of Farafangana, a port about 80 km (50 mi) south of Manakara. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-006; Admiralty D7014; NGA 32548.
Phare de Manakara
Phare de Manakara, 2007
photo copyright A. Hovestadt; used by permission

South and Southwest Coast Lighthouses

Tôlanaro District Lighthouses
Evatra (Lohatanjona Itaperina, Pointe d'Itapérina)
1907. Inactive since 1960. 7 m (23 ft) white round masonry tower. Lantern and Fresnel lens smashed by vandals many years ago. Keeper's house in ruins. A. Hovestadt's photo is at right, Frédéric Bastat also has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This light has continued to be listed internationally despite having been out of service for half a century. Located on a sharp headland about 11 km (7 mi) northeast of Taolagnaro (Fort-Dauphin) and 2 km (1.2 mi) east of the village of Evatra. Accessible by a trail from the village (local guides needed). Site and tower open. ARLHS MAG-015; Admiralty D7018; NGA 32552.
* Tôlanaro (Taolagnaro) Entrance Range Front
1954. Active (?); focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light occulting once every 4 s, synchronized with the rear light. 10 m (33 ft) square stepped concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Ad. Bing has a satellite view. Hovestadt reports that these range lights were not working when he visited in October 2007. Located atop a slope above the beach in downtown Taolagnaro (Fort-Dauphin). Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-039; Admiralty D7019; NGA 32556.
* Tôlanaro (Taolagnaro) Entrance Range Rear
1954. Active (?); focal plane 47 m (154 ft); white light occulting once every 4 s, synchronized with the front light. 8 m (26 ft) square stepped concrete tower, painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Ad. Hovestadt reports that these range lights were not working when he visited in October 2007. Located on the north side of Taolagnaro (Fort-Dauphin), but the exact location is unknown. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-045; Admiralty D7019.1; NGA 32560.
Tôlanaro (Taolagnaro) Second Range Front
1954. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); continuous white light. 12 m (39 ft) square concrete tower with lantern. Lighthouse painted white with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Google has a satellite view. Located at the tip of the peninsula sheltering the harbor of Taolagnaro (Fort-Dauphin). Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-040; Admiralty D7020; NGA 32564.
Tôlanaro (Taolagnaro) Second Range Rear (Fort Flacourt)
Date unknown (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white light occulting twice every 6 s. 12 m hexagonal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern. Tower painted white. A 2010 photo and a good closeup are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a bluff 40 m (130 ft) south southeast of the front light. Site and tower closed (military reservation). ARLHS MAG-008; Admiralty D7020.1; NGA 32568.
Phare d"evatra
Phare d'Evatra, 2007
photo copyright A. Hovestadt
used by permission

Tsiombe District Lighthouse
**** Tanjona Vohimena (Cap Sainte-Marie)
1971. Active; focal plane 194 m (636 ft); white flash every 10 s. 18 m (59 ft) square stone tower with lantern, gallery, and four ribs at the corners. The tower is unpainted stone with the four ribs and gallery painted white and the lantern black. A. Hovestadt's photo is at right, a 2011 photo is available, Alain Viollet has a photo, Pierre-Yves Babelon has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. The lighthouse was renovated in 2007, and a new lantern and lamp were installed. The surrounding area is a national park, the Réserve Spéciale de Cap Sainte-Marie. The lighthouse stands on the southernmost tip of Madagascar, atop a spectacular vertical cliff. Site open, and the keeper will conduct tours of the tower for visitors. ARLHS MAG-005; Admiralty D7022; NGA 32576.

Toliara District Lighthouses
Anosy Beacon (Toliary Range Front)
1921. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); continuous red light. 8 m (26 ft) square masonry tower, painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a sand spit that shelters the harbor of Itafy, the seaport of Toliara (also called Toliary or Tuléar). Site status unknown. Admiralty D7024; NGA 32580.
Anosy Beacon (Toliary Range Rear)
1921. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous white light. 17 m (56 ft) square masonry tower with lantern, painted white; lantern painted black. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located about 200 m (220 yd) west of the front light. Site status unknown. ARLHS MAG-022; Admiralty D7024.1; NGA 32584.

Morombé District Lighthouses
Nosy Lava (Morombé)
1955. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white light, 4.5 s on, 1.5 s off. 17 m (56 ft) square masonry tower with lantern, painted white; lantern painted black. Not to be confused with the better-known Nosy Lava Light off Analalava in Mahajanga Province (see above). No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. There is a photo of the island that appears to be taken from the lighthouse. Located near the northern tip of a small island about 8 km (5 mi) off the harbor of Morombé. Accessible only by boat; transportation to the island is available in Morombé. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS MAG-041; Admiralty D7027; NGA 32600.
Phare du Cap Sainte-Marie
Phare du Cap Sainte Marie, 2007
photo copyright A. Hovestadt
used by permission

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Réunion | West: Mayotte

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted November 14, 2005. Checked and revised June 22, 2013. Lighthouses: 56. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.