Lighthouses of Sarawak, Labuan, and Sabah (East Malaysia)

The nation of Malaysia is in two parts: Peninsular Malaysia (also called West Malaysia or Malaya) on the southern end of the Malay Peninsula and Malaysian Borneo (East Malaysia) on the island of Borneo roughly 700 km (450 mi) to the east. East Malaysia includes two former British colonies, Sarawak and Sabah, plus a smaller territory called Labuan. Another former British protectorate, Brunei, is independent. Sarawak was ruled from 1842 to 1946 by Sir James Brooke and his descendents, who were known as the "White Rajahs," while Sabah was controlled by the British North Borneo Company from 1881 to 1946. After a period as crown colonies, both regions became states of Malaysia in 1963.

The coast of Sarawak faces northwest on the South China Sea. Sabah occupies the northern tip of Borneo, facing northwest on the South China Sea and also northeast on the Sulu Sea. The independent state of Brunei is an enclave in northernmost Sarawak. The lighthouses of Sarawak and Sabah are mostly in remote areas, so they attract few visitors and very little is known about them. Information and photos would be very welcome.

Aids to navigation in Malaysia are the responsibility of the Marine Department (Jabatan Laut). Sarawak and Sabah formerly had their own marine departments, but they were merged with the Peninsular Malaya marine department in 2011. The Malay term for a lighthouse is rumah api; an island is a pulau and a cape is a tanjung.

Special thanks to Ezmil Sahrani for permission to post several of his photos on this page.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. MY numbers are Malaysian light list numbers, where known. Admiralty numbers are from volume F of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Aids to Navigation
Posted by the Marine Department, this page links to slide-show presentations on Malaysian lighthouses. Some of the photos appear to be out of date.
Malaysian Lighthouses
Historic postcard views posted by Michel Forand.
Batu Tinagat Light
1916 Batu Tinagat Light, Tawau, Sabah
Malaysian Marine Department photo

Sarawak Lighthouses

Kuching Division Lighthouses
Tanjung Datu (2)
1988 (station establishment date unknown). Active (?); focal plane 171 m (561 ft); white flash every 15 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern. Tower unpainted; the lantern is white. The Marine Department has a poor photo (#6), but the station is not seen in Google's distant satellite view of the cape. This lighthouse marks the border between Indonesia and Sarawak. NGA lists a 10 m (33 ft) skeletal tower on this cape, and a photo (no longer online) showed that both lighthouses are present. A chain link fence separates the skeletal tower in Indonesia from the concrete lighthouse in Malaysia! We do not know if both lights are active. The surrounding area in Malaysia is an undeveloped national park. In 2014 Malaysia began construction of a new light on a platform off the point of the cape; construction was halted when Indonesia protested that the location was in Indonesian waters as provided by a 1969 treaty. Located on a promontory at the tip of the Datu Peninsula about 50 km (30 mi) northwest of Sematan. Boat transportation to the park can be arranged in Sematan. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Tanjung Datu National Park. MY-1001; Admiralty F1894; NGA 23872.
Tanjung Sipang
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane about 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 7.5 s. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round white fiberglass tower, flared at the top. A view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the tip of a rugged peninsula about 30 km (19 mi) north of Kuching, the capital of Sarawak. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1896.85; NGA 23906.
Tanjung Po
1873. Active; focal plane 131 m (430 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) lantern centered on the roof of a square pagoda-like wood keeper's house. The house has been covered with white siding, and the lantern is painted white. Ezmil Sahrani has a closeup photo, an older Marine Department photo is at right, J. Davies has a historic photo from the mid 1960s, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory about 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Kuching, the capital of Sarawak. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-012; Admiralty F1898; NGA 23916.
Kuching Entrance Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21.5 m (70 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. Approx. 19 m (59 ft) skeletal tower carrying a daymark with yellow vertical stripes and a red diamond. No photo available, but the tower is not visible in Google's satellite view. This is the entrance range for the Sarawak River, Kuching's harbor. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1901; NGA 23928.
* Kuching Entrance Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30.5 m (100 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) skeletal tower carrying a daymark with yellow vertical stripes and a red diamond. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located about 760 m (1/2 mi) southwest of the front light. Site status unknown, but the tower is easily seen from nearby roads. Admiralty F1901.1; NGA 23932.

Tanjung Po Light
Tanjung Po Light
Sarawak Marine Department photo

Tanjung Embang Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21.5 m (70 ft); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. Approx. 18 m (56 ft) skeletal tower carrying a daymark with yellow vertical stripes and a red diamond. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is the approach range for Kuching. Located on the south side of the entrance to the Sarawak River. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1900; NGA 23920.
Tanjung Embang Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30.5 m (100 ft); white light occulting once every 10 s. Approx. 25 m (82 ft) skeletal tower carrying a daymark with yellow vertical stripes and a red diamond. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located about 760 m (1/2 mi) southwest of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1900.1; NGA 23924.

Betong Division Lighthouse
Tanjung Betong (Batang) Marau
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 4 s. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) skeletal tower carrying a triangular white daymark. No photo available, and clouds block Bing's satellite view. Located off the north side of a river entrance about 80 km (50 mi) east of Kuching. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1905.6; NGA 24056.

Sarikei Division Lighthouses
Pasir Wong (Wong Sands)
2009. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 7.5 s. 11 m (36 ft) tower, no description available. No photo available, and the tower is apparently too new to appear in Bing's satellite view. Located off the south side of the entrance to the Serikai River. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1909.1; NGA 24078.
Tanjung Selalang
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16.5 m (53 ft); white flash every 5 s. 17 m (56 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. NGA lists a skeletal tower at this station. Located on a low point of land on the south side of the entrance to the Serikai River. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1909.4; NGA 24076.
Tanjung Jerijeh
1936. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 36 m (118 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Two sides of the tower carry a slatted daymark painted in a red and white checkerboard pattern. Keeper's house and other light station buildings. Ezmil Sahrani's photo is at right, the Marine Department has a small photo (#2), and Google has a good satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to the Serikai (Jerijeh?) River. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1908; NGA 24068.
Tanjung Jerijeh Light
Tanjung Jerijeh Light
photo copyright Ezmil Sahrani; used by permission

Mukah Division Lighthouses
Tanjung Sedi (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21.5 m (70 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (59 ft) skeletal (?) tower carrying a white diamond-shaped daymark, mounted on a square pier. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. In the satellite image, the square keeper's house of the original lighthouse is seen onshore. Located just off the southwestern corner of Pulau Bruit, marking the approach to Meradong. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1914; NGA 24088.
Tanjung Sirik (2)
1988 (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white flash every 10 s. 36 m (118 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Keeper's house and other station buildings. Sahrani has a good photo, a small photo is available, the Marine Department's page has a small photo, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. This light marks a major change in the direction of the coastline, from north-south to east-west. The original lighthose was described in 1904 as a "wood and iron" tower. The site is probably accessible only by boat. Located on a rather remote cape about 100 km (60 mi) northwest of Sibu. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-013; Admiralty F1916; NGA 24104.

Bintulu Division Lighthouses
Bintulu (Tanjung Kidurong) Outer Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white light, 6 s on, 6 s off, synchronized with the rear light. Approx. 26 m (85 ft) skeletal tower carrying a white trapezoidal daymark. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Bing's indistinct satellite view. Tanjung Kidurong is the port area of Bintulu; it includes a very large liquified natural gas facility. Located on the waterfront of Tanjung Kidurong. Site status unknown.
Admiralty F1925.2; NGA 24172.
Bintulu (Tanjung Kidurong) Outer Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 45 m (148 ft); white light, 6 s on, 6 s off, synchronized with the front light. Approx. 41 m (135 ft) square skeletal tower carrying a white trapezoidal daymark. No photo available, but Google has an indistinct satellite view. Located 840 m (0.52 mi) east of the front light. Site status unknown.
Admiralty F1925.21; NGA 24176.
Bintulu (Tanjung Kidurong)
1988 (station established 1878). Active; focal plane 90 m (295 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 21 m (69 ft) square aluminum skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white. The Marine Department's page has a small photo, and Google has a satellite view. Tanjung Kidurong is an oil terminal and seaport about 15 km (9 mi) north of Bintulu. Located on the north side of the port entrance. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1925; NGA 24168.
Tanjung Payong
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) round white fiberglass tower with a flared top. No photo available, and the tower is inconspicuous in Bing's satellite view of the point. Located on a headland about 80 km (50 mi) northeast of Tanjung Kidurong. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1925.8; NGA 24184.

Miri Division Lighthouses
* Miri (Tanjung Lobang) (3)
1988 (station established 1930s). Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); white flash every 10 s. 16 m (52 ft) square steel skeletal tower with gallery and enclosed upper section but no lantern. Lighthouse painted white. The Borneo Post has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. A British lighthouse here was destroyed by Japanese troops in 1942; it was replaced by the tower seen on the Marine Department's page. Close to roads and buildings, this lighthouse is accessible. Located on a promontory just south of Miri. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1930; NGA 24216.
Baram (Tanjung Baram)
1936 (station established 1892). Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 45 m (148 ft) square steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Two sides of the upper half of the lighthouse carry a slatted daymark painted with a red and white checkerboard pattern. A Marine Department photo is at right, Ezmil Sahrani has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse, only 5 km (3 mi) west of the Brunei border, stands on a prominent cape and helps guide ships approaching Brunei. Located on the north side of the Baram River entrance at Kuala Baram. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1934; NGA 24240.
Tanjung Baram Light
Tanjung Baram Light
Malaysian Marine Department photo

Labuan Lighthouses

Note: Labuan is a small archipelago lying north of Brunei and 8 km (5 mi) off the western tip of Sabah. The Sultan of Brunei ceded the islands to Britain in 1846. They were attached to North Borneo (Sabah) in 1890, then to Straits Settlements (Singapore) in 1906. After World War II they were once again attached to North Borneo. In 1984, Sabah ceded the islands to federal control and they were reorganized as a federal territory. They are now a financial center and free trade zone, as well as popular resort.
Pulau Kuraman
1897. Active; focal plane 66 m (217 ft); white flash every 5 s. 15 m (49 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and enclosed watch room. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is red. VirtualMalaysia.com has a good photo, the Marine Department's page has a small photo (#12), a distant view from the sea is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the north side of the entrance to Brunei Bay, serving as a landfall light; it also guides ships approaching the port of Labuan in Sabah. Located atop a small island about 15 km (9 mi) southwest of Labuan, just off the southwestern tip of Pulau Labuan. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-003; Admiralty F1947; NGA 24392.
* Pulau Papan (2)
1897. Inactive since 2007. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) hexagonal steel skeletal tower with gallery and a round enclosed watch room. Lantern removed. NGA describes the lighthouse as white, but the Marine Department's photo shows it painted with red and white horizontal bands. Ezmil Sahrani's photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was replaced by a taller tower in 2007, but the Marine Department has stated that the older tower will be retained as a historic building. The original lighthouse was described in 1904 as a white wood pyramid. Pulau Papan is a resort island attracting many visitors from Brunei. Located on a small island about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Labuan. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EMA-027.
* Pulau Papan (3)
2007 (station established 1897). Active; focal plane 37 m (79 ft); white flash every 4 s. Approx. 41 m (135 ft) round steel tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo showing both lighthouses is available; in another photo and a third photo the new lighthouse is behind the old one. Located next to the historic lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1949; NGA 24396.
Tanjung Kubong (Bethune Head)
1973. Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, and the tower is not seen in Bing's satellite view of the station. Located at the northern tip of Pulau Labuan. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-015; Admiralty F1948; NGA 24440.
Pulau Papan Light
Second Pulau Papan Light, January 2011
photo copyright Ezmil Sahrani; used by permission

Sabah Lighthouses

West Coast Division (South China Sea) Lighthouses
Pulau Tiga (2)
2002 (station established 1974). Active; focal plane 74 m (243 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 25 m (82 ft) round steel tower, painted white with one broad red horizontal band. Sahrani's photo is at right, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. NGA describes the original framework tower. In 2000, the first series of the U.S. reality television program Survivor was filmed on Pulau Tiga. The island is a national park, but resort accommodations are available; we do not know if it is possible to visit the lighthouse. Located at the highest point of Pulau Tiga, an island about 60 km (37.5 mi) southwest of Kota Kinabalu, the capital of Sabah. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-020; Admiralty F1955; NGA 24446.
Pulau Gaya (1)
1978. Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 24 m (79 ft) square skeletal tower. When the present light was built the original light was left standing, although it may be removed later. No photo available, but the tower is seen in Google's indistinct satellite view.
Pulau Gaya (2)
2002 (station established 1978). Active; focal plane 168 m (551 ft); white flash every 5 s. 24 m (79 ft) round steel tower, painted white with one broad red horizontal band. Ezmil Sahrani has a closeup photo, the Marine Department's page has a small photo (#2), Google has an indistinct satellite view. Pulau Gaya is a mountainous island protecting the harbor of Kota Kinabalu, Sabah's capital. The island is accessible by ferry, but the lighthouse is remote. Located at the northwestern tip of the island. Site status unknown. Site manager: Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park. ARLHS EMA-018; Admiralty F1956; NGA 24464.

Kudat Division Lighthouses
Pulau Mantanani
1941. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); long (2 s) white flash every 10 s. 8 m (26 ft) round concrete tower topped by a short skeletal tower. the Marine Department's page has a small photo (#4), the tower is visible (barely) in Bing's satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 5 m (16 ft) round circular concrete structure with a focal plane height of 47 m (154 ft). The height of the lighthouse was raised by the addition of a 3 m (10 ft) skeletal structure. This may have occurred in 1974, the last alteration date listed. The Mantanani Islands are a small group in the South China Sea about 30 km (20 mi) west of Sabah's northern peninsula. Located on Pulau Mantanani Kecil (Little Mantanani), the westernmost island of the group. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-016; Admiralty F1962; NGA 24524.
Pulau Tiga Light
Pulau Tiga Light
photo copyright Ezmil Sahrani; used by permission
Pulau Kalampunian (2)
2002 (station established 1925). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); long (2.5 s) white flash every 20 s. 15 m (49 ft) round concrete tower, rising from a square 1-story base. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band. A photo and a second photo are available, Sahrani also has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island just off Tanjung Simpang, the northernmost tip of Sabah (and of Borneo). Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-019; Admiralty F1964; NGA 24532.
Pulau Kukudan
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white flash every 10 s. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) round cylindrical tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. M. Harris Sadi has a view from the sea, and another view from the sea is available, but Bing has only a very distant satellite view of the islet. Located on the south side of a small island off the east side of the northernmost tip of Sabah. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1978; NGA 24568.

Sandakan Division (Sulu Sea) Lighthouses
Pulau Lankayan
Date unknown. Active; focal plane approx. 13 m (43 ft); green flash every 5 s. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) octagonal green concrete post with gallery, mounted on a square platform supported by concrete piles. Sahrani has a good photo, but the tiny island is not visible in Google's satellite view. Located on a shoal near an islet about 50 km (30 mi) northeast of Beluran. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1981; NGA 24593.
Pulau Silingan (Selingan, Siligaan) (2)
2000 (station established 1963). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 10 s. Approx. 23 m (85 ft) round cylindrical tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. 1-story equipment shelter in the base of the lighthouse. Sahrani has a good photo, and the Marine Department's page has a small photo (#8), but the island is barely visible in Google's satellite view. The Marine Department's photo shows the original lighthouse, a skeletal tower. Located on a tiny islet off the entrance to Sandakan, about 19 km (12 mi) northeast of Pulau Berhala. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-006; Admiralty F1982; NGA 24596.
* Pulau Berhala
1951. Active; focal plane 194 m (636 ft); white flash every 6.5 s. 20 m (66 ft) square steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The Marine Department's page has a small photo (#9), but a flaw in the image hides the light in Google's satellite view. This is one of many similar skeletal light towers on Sabah's Sulu Sea coast. No photo available. Located at the highest point of Pulau Berhala, an island on the north side of the entrance to Sandakan. Boat transportation to the island is available in Sandakan, and there is a hiking trail to the lighthouse, a popular vantage point. Site open, tower status unknown. ARLHS EMA-001; Admiralty F1984; NGA 24604.
Selat Kinabatangan (Driftwood Point)
1964. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 10 s. Approx. 22 m (72 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The Marine Department's page has a small photo (#13), and Bing has a good satellite view. Located on the west side of the entrance to the estuary of the Kinabatangan River. Probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1987; NGA 24612.

Lahud Datu District Lighthouses
Tanjung Trang (Tanjung Terang) (2)
2002 (station established 1923). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white flash every 6 s. 24 m (79 ft) round steel tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Sahrani's photo is at right, and the Marine Department's page has a small photo (#5), but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the cape. Located on Tanjung Trang, the extreme northeastern corner of Borneo. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EMA-014; Admiralty F1988; NGA 24620.
Tanjung Labian (2)
2002 (station established 1923). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white light, 2 s on, 8 s off. Approx. 22 m (72 ft) round steel tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Sahrani has a photo, the Marine Department's page has a small photo (#6), and Google has a satellite view. Located on the southeast side of Sabah's eastern peninsula, about 32 km (20 mi) south of Tanjung Trang. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EMA-011; Admiralty F1988.3; NGA 24624.
Tanjung Tungku
1961. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 23 m (75 ft) square steel skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Sahrani has a photo, and the Marine Department's page has a small photo (#14), but the framework tower is not seen in Bing's satellite view of the cape. Located on a promontory about 80 km (50 mi) east of Lahad Datu. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EMA-010; Admiralty F1988.6; NGA 24628.
Tanjung Trang Light
Tanjung Trang Light
photo copyright Ezmil Sahrani; used by permission

Tanjung Membatu (Bagahak)
1957. Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); white flash every 5 s. 11 m (36 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower, painted white. The Marine Department's page has a small photo (#15), but Bing has only a distant satellite view. Located on a bluff about 50 km (30 mi) east of Lahad Datu. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-009; Admiralty F1989; NGA 24632.
Pulau Kalung Kalungan (Kalunaun)
1959. Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white flash every 10 s. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) square skeletal tower, lower portion enclosed.Tower painted white, enclosed structure red. The Marine Department's page has a small photo (#7), but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the island. Located on an islet about 15 km (9 mi) south of Silam. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-002; Admiralty F1991; NGA 24664.

Semporna District Lighthouses
Pulau Mataking
1961. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 20 s. 24 m (79 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white. Sahrani's photo is at right, and the Marine Department's page has a small photo (#16), but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. Pulau Mataking is a popular destination for scuba divers. Located on a small island in the Celebes Sea about 35 km (22 mi) east of Semporna. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EMA-004; Admiralty F1991.6; NGA 24684.
Pulau Siamil (Si Amil)
1952. Active; focal plane 107 m (351 ft) two white flashes every 15 s. 11 m (36 ft) square steel skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The Marine Department's page has a small photo (#17), Bing has a distant satellite view of the tower. Located on a small island in the Celebes Sea about 35 km (22 mi) southeast of Semporna. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EMA-005; Admiralty F1992; NGA 24688.
[Pulau Ligatan]
1963. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft) white flash every 5 s. 8 m (26 ft) square steel skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. The Marine Department's page has a small photo (#18), and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. This light marks the end of a coral reef system stretching southward from Pulau Siamil. Located on an islet in the Celebes Sea about 20 km (13 mi) due south of Pulau Siamil. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1992.14; NGA 24700.

Tawau District Lighthouses
Pulau Sipadan
1962. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 22 m (72 ft) square steel skeletal tower, painted white. In the Marine Department photo, the tower has red and white horizontal bands. The Marine Department's page has a small photo (#19), but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view of the station. Located on a small island in the Celebes Sea about 80 km (50 mi) east southeast of Tawau, near the limit of Malaysian sovereignty. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS EMA-007; Admiralty F1992.2; NGA 24704.
Batuan Tangan (Hand Rock)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); red flash every 2 s. 7 m (23 ft) octagonal red concrete post with gallery, mounted on a square platform supported by concrete piles. Sahrani has a good photo. Located on a shoal in the Celebes Sea about 20 km (13 mi) east southeast of Tawau. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1993.4; NGA 24716.
Pulau Mataking Light
Pulau Mataking Light
photo copyright Ezmil Sahrani; used by permission
* Batu Tinagat (Kuhara) (1)
1916. Recently inactive. 9 m (30 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. A Marine Department photo appears at the top of this page, and Google has a satellite view. Sahrani's recent photo shows this historic lighthouse still standing and nicely repainted. Michel Forand has a historic postcard view, and DiscoverTawau.com has a historic photo (one third the way down the page). Located on a headland about 10 km (6 mi) east of Tawau. This site should be accessible, as the coastal road passes close to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS EMA-008.
* Batu Tinagat (Kuhara) (2)
2007 (station established 1916). Active; focal plane approx. 120 m (394 ft); flash every 7.5 s, white or red depending on direction. Approx. 22 m (72 ft) round steel tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Sahrani has a photo, and the Marine Department's page has a small photo (#10). This lighthouse guides ships into Tawau, the third largest town of Sabah and an important port. Located just above the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1994; NGA 24728.
Coal Mine Reach
1957. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, painted white. The Marine Department's page has a small photo (#21), but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the location. The light guides vessels in a narrow strait between Pulau Sebatik and the mainland, southwest of Tawau and close to the Indonesian border. Located near the northwestern tip of Pulau Sebatik. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1999; NGA 24740.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Spratly Islands | East: Southwestern Philippines | South: Kalimantan | West: Riau Islands | Enclave: Brunei

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted March 21, 2006. Checked and revised December 3, 2013. Lighthouses: 45. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.