Lighthouses of Malaysia: West Malaysia South Coast

The nation of Malaysia is in two parts: Peninsular Malaysia (also called West Malaysia or Malaya) on the southern end of the Malay Peninsula and Malaysian Borneo (East Malaysia) on the island of Borneo roughly 700 km (450 mi) to the east. West Malaysia is the former Federation of Malaya, a union of 11 states placed under British protectorate in the late 1800s. Malaya became independent in 1957. In 1963 the British granted independence to Malaysia, a new country formed by uniting Malaya, Singapore, Sarawak, and Sabah (North Borneo). Singapore, a predominantly Chinese city just off the tip of Malay Peninsula, left the union in 1965 and has been independent since.

Malaya faces one of the world's most important waterways, often called simply The Straits. The Strait of Malacca opens westward to the Indian Ocean and separates Malaya from the Indonesian island of Sumatra. At its southeastern end, the Strait of Malacca joins the Singapore Strait, which connects to the South China Sea and Pacific Ocean.

This page describes lighthouses of the south coast of the Malay Peninsula, facing the Strait of Malacca, in the states of Johor, Melaka, Negeri Sembilan, and Selangor. Aids to navigation in the heavily-traveled strait are regulated by the Malacca Strait Council, a consortium of the maritime authorities of Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia.

Aids to navigation in Malaysia (except for Pulau Pisang) are the responsibility of the Marine Department (Jabatan Laut). The Malay term for a lighthouse is rumah api; pulau is an island, permatang is a shoal or reef, tanjung is a cape, sungai is a river, and bukit is a hill.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume F of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Aids to Navigation
Posted by the Marine Department, this page links to slide-show presentations on Malaysian lighthouses. Some of the photos appear to be out of date.
Online List of Lights - Malaysia
Coming soon: photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Lighthouses in Malaysia
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Malaysia
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Malaysian Lighthouses
Historic postcard views posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme Asiens, Australiens, und Ozeaniens auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Kuala Selangor Light
Kuala Selangor Light, Kuala Selangor, May 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by nadiology
Southern Johor (Pontian District) Lighthouses
Tanjung Pelepas
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, 5 s on, 5 s off. Appprox. 15 m (49 ft) round white metal tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The light guides vessels arriving at the Port of Tanjung Pelepas, a large containership port on the north side of the Johor Strait separating Malaysia from Singapore. Located at the tip of the cape near the southeast corner of the port. Site and tower closed. Admiralty F1678; NGA 22686.1.
Tanjung Piai
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 3 s. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower on a platform supported by four piles. No photo available,but Google has a distant satellite view. Tanjung (Cape) Piai, marked by this relatively unimpressive modern light, is the southernmost tip of the mainland of Asia, 139 km (86 mi) north of the equator. This lighthouse also marks the west side of the entrance to Johore Strait, which separates Malaysia from Singapore. The area is a national park, with a jetty extending from the cape and a monument at its end marking the end of the continent. Aslam Yusof has a photo sphere taken at the end of the jetty. Located a shirt distance offshore, about 5 km (3 mi) south of Serkat. Accessible only by boat; there is a distant view from the observation platform at the tip of the cape. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-026; Admiralty F1674.5; NGA 22586.
Panjang Selatan
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white flash every 5 s. 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete platform on pilings. A series of shock absorbing structures is built beside the lighthouse as protection against collision with ships. Entire lighthouse is white. The Arsea Group's photo is at right. Located about 19 km (12 mi) southeast of Pulau Pisang in the Strait of Malacca. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-027; Admiralty F1669.1; NGA 21691.
Mudah Selatan
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower mounted on a concrete platform on pilings. A series of shock absorbing structures is built beside the lighthouse as protection against collision with ships. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available. Located about 13 km (8 mi) southeast of Pulau Pisang in the Strait of Malacca. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-028; Admiralty F1669; NGA 21690.
Panjang Selatan Light
Panjang Selatan Light, Strait of Malacca
photo copyright The Arsea Group; permission requested
Pulau Pisang
1914. Active; focal plane 150 m (492 ft); white flash every 10 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. The original 1st order Fresnel lens was replaced with a 4th order lens in 1967. Lighthouse painted white. A 2009 photo is at right, a recent photo and a 2014 photo (over halfway down the page) are available, Forand has a historic postcard view and Google has a good satellite view. The lighthouse stands atop a wooded island in the Strait of Malacca. The British government of Singapore, then called Straits Settlements, obtained the land for the light station and its access road in an agreement with the Sultan of Johore in 1900. Singapore continues to operate the light, which is the cause of some friction with Malaysia, but Singapore recognizes Malaysian sovereignty over the island. In May 2008, after Malaysia lost its case before the International Court of Justice for sovereignty over the Horsburgh lighthouse islet, Malaysian MPs began calling for negotiations with Singapore about transferring the lighthouse to Malaysian control. In 2010 Malaysia formally annexed the island to Johor State and announced that Singapore workers sent to maintain the lighthouse must first register with Malaysian authorities at Pontian. Located on the highest point of Pulau Pisang, about 15 km (9 mi) east of Pontian Kechin. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/operator: Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore. ARLHS WMA-010; Admiralty F1668; NGA 21692.
Mudah Utara (2)
2009 (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete platform on pilings. A series of shock absorbing structures is built beside the lighthouse as protection against collision with ships. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available. The original lighthouse was destroyed sometime in the third quarter of 2008, presumably by collision with a ship, but the light was replaced by late 2009. This light is very similar to the Tompok Utara and Mudah Selatan lights. Located in the strait roughly halfway between Pulau Pisang and Batu Pahat. Accessible only by boat. Site open. Admiralty F1655; NGA 21701.
Pulau Pisang Light
Pulau Pisang Light, Strait of Malacca
photo copyright Aqma @ Akmar; permission requested

Western Johor (Batu Pahat and Muar Districts) Lighthouses
Panjang Utara
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 28 m (92 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete platform on pilings. A series of shock absorbing structures is built beside the lighthouse as protection against collision with ships. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available. Located about 19 km (12 mi) west northwest of the Mudah Utara light in the Strait of Malacca. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1654; NGA 21703.
Pulau Sialu (Sungai Batu Pahat) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1913). Inactive since 1978. 15 m (49 ft) masonry tower with gallery, painted white. The lantern has been removed. Mohd Razali has a 2008 photo, Michael Ong Eng Hui has a view from the sea, and Google has a distant satellite view of the islet. Pulau Sialu is a small, uninhabited island off the Batu Pahat estuary. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1978 in favor of the Bukit Segenting lighthouse on the mainland, but it is still listed by NGA. The original lighthouse had a focal plane height of only 12 m (40 ft). Located roughly 2 km (1.2 mi) southwest of Bukit Segenting (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS WMA-012; ex-Admiralty F1652; NGA 21708.
* Bukit Segenting
1978. Active; focal plane 86 m (282 ft); four white flashes every 30 s. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a small 1-story equipment room. Lighthouse painted white. Michael Ong Eng Hui has a 2009 photo, Angelica Tan has a distant photo, and Google has a very distant satellite view. In both photos, the lighthouse is somewhat dwarfed by a large maritime traffic control tower. Located on Tanjung Api Api, a promontory overlooking the Strait of Malacca about 12 km (7.5 mi) southwest of Batu Pahat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-002; Admiralty F1652.5; NGA 21712.
Tanjung Tohor
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 5 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower on a platform supported by four piles. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located off Tanjung Tohor, about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Parit Jawa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1650; NGA 21716.
Parit Jawa
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 4 s. 11 m (36 ft) fiberglass post light with gallery mounted on a square concrete pier. The lighthouse is white with a red band around the gallery. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located a short distance off the coast at Parit Jawa, northwest of Batu Pahat. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1648; NGA 21718.
Kuala Muar
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); white flash every 10 s. 12 m (39 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower supported by concrete piles. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Muar is a city of about 350,000 residents in the northwest corner of Johor. Located on the north side of the mouth of the Muar River. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1646; NGA 21724.

Melaka (Malacca) Lighthouses
Pulau Undan
1880. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story keeper's house. Light tower painted red, keeper's house white. In a photo and a distant view, the red lighthouse is much shorter than the neighboring maritime communications tower. Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a very distant satellite view of the station. Located atop an island in the Strait of Malacca about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Melaka (Malacca). Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS WMA-013; Admiralty F1644; NGA 21728.
Umbai (Kuala Umbai)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) cylindrical tower with gallery, mounted on a concrete platform supported by concrete piles. Entire lighthouse is white. Ben Sharif has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 300 m (330 yd) off the entrance to the small harbor of Umbai, a town about 10 km (6 mi) east of Malacca. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1642; NGA 21730.
* Malacca (St. Pauls' Church)
1849. Inactive. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery mounted on an arched base. Lighthouse painted white. Balaji Dutt's photo is at right, Wikimedia also has Rudolph Furtado's photo, another photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Founded in the 14th century, Malacca was the leading city of Malaya for at least 300 years. The lighthouse stands next to the ruins of St. Paul's Church, which was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century (St. Francis Xavier preached there) and renamed by the Dutch, who ruled Malacca from 1641 through most of the 18th century. Located atop St. Paul's Hill on the south side of the harbor of Melaka, as the city's name is now spelled. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-029.
Kuala Melaka (Malacca)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10.5 m (34 ft); red flash every 4 s. 10.5 m (34 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower on a platform supported by four piles. Entire lighthouse is white. Wuyuan Sun has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the entrance to Melaka harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1637; NGA 21735.

Malacca Light, Malacca, November 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Balaji Dutt
*** Tanjung Tuan (Cape Rachado)
1863. Active; focal plane 118 m (387 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 24 m (79 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. 1st order Fresnel lens in use. Original 1-story masonry keeper's house. A modern concrete tower, built in 1990, carries radar to monitor ship traffic in the narrow Strait of Malacca. A photo is at right, Auria Abraham has a closeup photo, Horng Yih Wong has another good photo, Wikimedia has a photo, the Malaysian edition of Wikipedia has an article with the same photo, the lighthouse appeared on a commemorative postal sheet, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This is Malaysia's oldest active lighthouse and probably its most important; it stands at the end of a prominent ridge jutting out into the Strait at the northern end of the narrower part of the waterway. The forested ridge has long been recognized as one of the country's most important forest and wildlife reserves. The site figures in Malay legends and history; the 15th century warrior Hang Tuah is said to have meditated here and left his footprint in a boulder. According to other local accounts, the Portuguese built a lighthouse here in the 1500s, and the Dutch built another in 1817; we have no verification of these claims. The coast of Sumatra, on the other side of the strait, can be seen from the top of the lighthouse. Note: the cape is an exclave of Melaka state, although it is surrounded by the state of Negeri Sembilan. Located on a very prominent cape about 20 km (13 mi) south of Port Dickson. Site open, tower open for climbing by arrangement with the keepers. ARLHS WMA-003; Admiralty F1626; NGA 21748.

Negeri Sembilan Lighthouses
Arang
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); two white flashes every 8 s. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) round hourglass-shaped tower, mounted on a square concrete platform supported by concrete piles. According to NGA, the tower is now painted black with one red horizontal band; it was all white in a 2011 photo. Google has a satellite view. It is possible that this light has replaced the former skeletal tower on Pulau Arang, since a photo of that island shows no tower. Located 800 m (1/2 mi) southwest of Pulau Arang, marking the entrance to the harbor of Port Dickson. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1622.5; NGA 21760.
Kuala Sepang Besar
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); quick-flashing white light. 19 m (62 ft) skeletal tower, painted white, mounted on a square platform supported by piles. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located just offfshore at a large coal-fired power plant west of Port Dickson and just east of the Selangor border. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1620; NGA 21772.
Tanjung Tuan Light
Tanjung Tuan (Cape Rachado) Light, April 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by ting2ever

Southern Selangor Lighthouses
Sepat
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); quick-flashing white light. 14 m (46 ft) tower supported by piles. Upper half of the tower painted black, lower half yellow. No photo available. Located on a shoal in the Strait of Malacca about 16 km (10 mi) southwest of Tanjung Sepat. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1619.4; NGA 21774.
Tanjung Gebang
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white flash every 4 s. 28 m (98 ft) round concrete tower, mounted on a platform supported by piles. Google has a satellite view and a "street" view taken from a kayak. Located a short distance off a headland about 15 km (9 mi) south of Banting. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1619; NGA 21776.
* Bukit Jugra
1976. Active; focal plane 146 m (479 ft); white flash every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. A second concrete tower carries radar to monitor ship traffic. Tian Yake has a photo and a closeup, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on a conspicuous hill on the east side of a river at Permatang Pasir. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-001; Admiralty F1614; NGA 21780.

Central Selangor (Klang Area) Lighthouses
Note: Klang (formerly spelled Kelang) is the capital of Selangor state and the largest port of Malaysia. The city has a population of about 750,000.
#Tanjung Rhu
Date unknown. Demolished or destroyed in 2010. This was a 24 m (79 ft) round fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete pier. Entire lighthouse was white. No photo available, and the tower is no longer seen in Google's satellite view. Formerly located in shallows about 1 km (0.6 mi) west of Tanjung (Cape) Rhu, the western tip of Pulau Carey, about 25 km (15 mi) southwest of Klang. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty F1610; ex-NGA 21803.
Tanjung Mahang Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); quick-flashing white light. 19 m (62 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, mounted on a platform supported by piles. Lighthouse painted white. The tower also carries a white conical daymark, point up. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is the entrance range for Klang, the capital of Selangor state and a major port. Located off the southern tip of Pulau Che Mat Zin, 180 m (200 yd) south of the rear light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1609; NGA 21806.
Tanjung Mahang Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 25 m (82 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, mounted on a platform supported by piles. Lighthouse painted white. The tower also carries a white conical daymark, point down. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the southern tip of Pulau Che Mat Zin, about 40 km (25 mi) southwest of downtown Klang. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1609.1; NGA 21806.1.
Klang First Point
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); red flash every 4 s. 17 m (56 ft) round hourglass-shaped concrete tower, mounted on a platform supported by four concrete piles. Mohd Nor Azmil Abdul Rahman has the sunset photo at right, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the Klang entrance channel about 1200 m (3/4 mi) northeast of the Tanjung Mahang range lights. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1608; NGA 21808.
Tanjung Sarang Lang
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, mounted on a platform supported by piles. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the eastern point of Pulau Klang, opposite the inner harbor of the city. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1594; NGA 21820.
* Marine Department Signal Station
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); flashing red light. Light mounted atop the 5-story Marine Department building in Klang (this is the national headquarters of the department). Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the Klang River on the north side of the harbor area. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1597; NGA 21826.
* Tanjung Harapan
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 5 s. 11 m (36 ft) white concrete post carrying a large gallery and mounted on a platform supported by three piles. Gallery painted red as a daymark. A photo (just over halfway down the page) is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located just offshore on the north side of the entrance to the inner harbor of Port Klang. Accessible only by boat but easily seen from shore. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1595; NGA 21834.
Klang First Point Light
First Point Light, Klang, March 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Mohd Nor Azmil Abdul Rahman
Tanjung Tentaram
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 3 s. 10 m (33 ft) white concrete post carrying a large box-like red daymark and mounted on a platform supported by three piles. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located off the southwestern tip of Pulau Ketam, an island west of Pulau Klang. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1612; NGA 21800.

One Fathom Bank Lighthouses
Note: One Fathom Bank is a notorious shoal in the Strait of Malacca off the port of Klang. Shipping is crowded together in this area by the limited amount of deep water available, so a traffic separation scheme (TSS) is in place. Vessels headed southeast keep to the Indonesian side, and those headed northwest keep to the Malaysian side. A chart is available. The lights in this section are important markers for the TSS.
One Fathom Bank (Permatang Sedepa) (3)
1907 (station established 1852). Inactive since 1999. Approx. 27 m (89 ft) octagonal skeletal cast iron tower with lantern, gallery, and enclosed upper portion, mounted atop a 2-story octagonal keeper's house standing on piles. In fact there are two lanterns, with a newer and smaller one raised above the original first-order lantern by an octagonal skeletal extension. The lighthouse was orginally painted with red and white horizontal bands; today the keeper's house and cast iron skeletal sections and painted white and the upper extension is black. Wikimedia has a good closeup, Huelse has a historic photo, and the lighthouse was featured on a 2004 postage stamp. This historic lighthouse was restored in 2004-05. The original lighthouse was replaced by a screwpile lighthouse in 1874. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-030.
One Fathom Bank (Permatang Sedepa) (4)
1999 (station established 1852). Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 43 m (141 ft) round cylindrical steel tower with lantern and triple gallery, rising from the center of a dome-shaped equipment shelter, mounted on a circular platform supported by pilings. Light tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo is at right, and Wikimedia has the same photo. The base of the lighthouse has accommodations visited by sport fishermen. The lighthouse is on the north (Malaysian) side of the northwestbound channel, near the southeast end. Located on the shoal, about 30 km (20 mi) west southwest of the Klang Delta. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-007; Admiralty F1616; NGA 21784.
One Fathom Bank North
2009. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 3 s. 30 m (98 ft) round fiberglass tower on a platform supported by piles. No photo available. This light is on the north side of the northwestbound channel, near the northwest end. Located about 20 km (12.5 mi) northwest of the original One Fathom Bank lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1616.5; NGA 21795.
One Fathom Bank Southbound East Beacon
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); six quick white flashes and one long white flash every 15 s. 13 m (43 ft) beacon, upper half painted yellow and lower half black. No photo available. The exit from the southbound channel is quite narrow; it is marked by this light and the next two. Located 9.4 km (5.8 mi) southwest of the One Fathom Bank lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1617; NGA 21788.
One Fathom Bank Light
1999 One Fathom Bank Light, Strait of Malacca, April 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by iGhosts
One Fathom Bank Southbound South Beacon
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); quick-flashing white light 13 m (43 ft) beacon, upper half painted black and lower half yellow. No photo available. Located 10.5 km (6.5 mi) southwest of the One Fathom Bank lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1617.2; NGA 21792.
One Fathom Bank Southbound West Beacon
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); quick-flashing white light 11 m (36 ft) beacon, painted yellow. No photo available. Located 13.8 km (8.6 mi) west southwest of the One Fathom Bank lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1617.4; NGA 21794.

Northern Selangor Lighthouses
Pulau Angsa
1887. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); flash every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Keeper's house and modern concrete radar tower. A photo is at right, Patrick Costello has a 2011 view from the sea, another distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a small island about 40 km (25 mi) northwest of Port Klang and 25 km (15 mi) south of Kuala Selangor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-008; Admiralty F1586; NGA 21848.
** Kuala Selangor (Altingsburg, Bukit Melawati)
1907. Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 27 m (89 ft) round two-stage tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The lower half of the tower is cylindrical masonry, and the upper half is a conical cast iron tower. A photo appears at the top of the page, S.J. Liew has a good closeup, another closeup photo and a 2010 photo are available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse stands on the hill known as Bukit Melawati, in the center of a 250 ha (600 acre) nature reserve adjoining the town of Kuala Selangor. Ruins of the Dutch Fort Altingsburg, built in 1784, can be seen near the lighthouse, and the historical museum of Kuala Selangor is adjacent to the light station. The road to the lighthouse is closed on weekends due to limited parking, but trams are provided. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-005; Admiralty F1578; NGA 21860.
Permatang Angsa
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); quick-flashing white light. 22 m (72 ft) tower, upper half painted black, lower half yellow. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a shoal off Tanjung Karong, about 40 km (25 mi) northwest of Kuala Selangor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1580; NGA 21861.
Pulau Angsa Light
Pulau Angsa Light, Kuala Selangor
Malaysian Marine Department photo

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: West Malaysia West Coast | South: Singapore | West: Eastern Sumatra

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted March 12, 2006. Checked and revised January 25, 2017. Lighthouses: 39. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.