Lighthouses of Malaysia: Malaya West Coast

The nation of Malaysia is in two parts: Peninsular Malaysia (also called West Malaysia or Malaya) on the southern end of the Malay Peninsula and Malaysian Borneo (East Malaysia) on the island of Borneo roughly 700 km (450 mi) to the east. West Malaysia is the former Federation of Malaya, a union of 11 states placed under British protectorate in the late 1800s. In 1963 the British granted independence to Malaysia, a new country formed by uniting Malaya, Singapore, Sarawak, and Sabah (North Borneo). Singapore, a predominantly Chinese city just off the tip of Malay Peninsula, left the union in 1965 and has been independent since.

Malaya faces one of the world's most important waterways, often called simply The Straits. The Strait of Malacca opens westward to the Indian Ocean and separates Malaya from the Indonesian island of Sumatra. At its southeastern end, the Strait of Malacca joins the Singapore Strait, which connects to the South China Sea and Pacific Ocean.

This page describes lighthouses of the west coast of the Malay Peninsula, facing the Strait of Malacca. Aids to navigation in the heavily-traveled strait are regulated by the Malacca Strait Council, a consortium of the maritime authorities of Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia.

Aids to navigation in Malaysia (except for Pulau Pisang) are the responsibility of the Marine Department (Jabatan Laut). The Malay term for a lighthouse is rumah api; an island is a pulau, a cape is a tanjung, a river is a sungai, and a hill is a bukit.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume F of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Aids to Navigation
Posted by the Marine Department, this page links to slide-show presentations on Malaysian lighthouses. Some of the photos appear to be out of date.
Lighthouses in Malaysia
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Malaysia
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Malaysian Lighthouses
Historic postcard views posted by Michel Forand.
Leuchttürme Asiens, Australiens, und Ozeaniens auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
Kuala Selangor Light
Kuala Selangor Light, Kuala Selangor, May 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by nadiology
Western Johor Lighthouses
Tanjung Piai
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 3 s. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower on a platform supported by four piles. No photo available, although the light is visible in Google's distant satellite view. Tanjung (Cape) Piai, marked by this distinctly unimpressive modern light, is actually the southernmost tip of the mainland of Asia, 139 km (86 mi) north of the equator. This lighthouse also marks the west side of the entrance to Johore Strait, which separates Malaysia from Singapore. The area is a national park, with a jetty extending from the cape and a monument at its end marking the end of the continent. Located just offshore, about 5 km (3 mi) south of Serkat. Accessible only by boat; there is a distant view from the observation platform at the tip of the cape. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-026; Admiralty F1674.5; NGA 22586.
Panjang Selatan
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white flash every 5 s. 26 m (85 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete platform on pilings. A series of shock absorbing structures is built beside the lighthouse as protection against collision with ships. Entire lighthouse is white. The Arsea Group's photo is at right. Located about 19 km (12 mi) southeast of Pulau Pisang in the Strait of Malacca. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-027; Admiralty F1669.1; NGA 21691.
Mudah Selatan
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower mounted on a concrete platform on pilings. A series of shock absorbing structures is built beside the lighthouse as protection against collision with ships. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available. Located about 13 km (8 mi) southeast of Pulau Pisang in the Strait of Malacca. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-028; Admiralty F1669; NGA 21690.
Panjang Selatan Light
Panjang Selatan Light, Strait of Malacca
photo copyright The Arsea Group; permission requested
Pulau Pisang
1914. Active; focal plane 150 m (492 ft); white flash every 10 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. The original 1st order Fresnel lens was replaced with a 4th order lens in 1967. Lighthouse painted white. A 2009 photo is at right, Forand has a historic postcard view and Google has a good satellite view. The lighthouse stands atop a wooded island in the Strait of Malacca. The British government of Singapore, then called Straits Settlements, obtained the land for the light station and its access road in an agreement with the Sultan of Johore in 1900. Singapore continues to operate the light, which is the cause of some friction with Malaysia, but Singapore recognizes Malaysian sovereignty over the island. In May 2008, after Malaysia lost its case before the International Court of Justice for sovereignty over the Horsburgh lighthouse islet, Malaysian MPs began calling for negotiations with Singapore about transferring the lighthouse to Malaysian control. In 2010 Malaysia formally annexed the island to Johor State and announced that Singapore workers sent to maintain the lighthouse must first register with Malaysian authorities at Pontian. Located on the highest point of Pulau Pisang, about 15 km (9 mi) east of Pontian Kechin. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/operator: Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore. ARLHS WMA-010; Admiralty F1668; NGA 21692.
Mudah Utara (2)
2009 (station establishment date unknown). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete platform on pilings. A series of shock absorbing structures is built beside the lighthouse as protection against collision with ships. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available. The original lighthouse was destroyed sometime in the third quarter of 2008, presumably by collision with a ship, but the light was replaced by late 2009. This light is very similar to the Tompok Utara and Mudah Selatan lights. Located in the strait roughly halfway between Pulau Pisang and Batu Pahat. Accessible only by boat. Site open. Admiralty F1655; NGA 21701.
Pulau Pisang Light
Pulau Pisang Light, Strait of Malacca
photo copyright Aqma @ Akmar; permission requested
Panjang Utara
Date unknown (recent). Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 28 m (92 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete platform on pilings. A series of shock absorbing structures is built beside the lighthouse as protection against collision with ships. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available. Located about 19 km (12 mi) west northwest of the Mudah Utara light in the Strait of Malacca. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1654; NGA 21703.
Pulau Sialu (Sungai Batu Pahat) (2?)
Date unknown (station established 1913). Inactive since 1978. 15 m (49 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Mohd Razali has a 2008 photo, Michael Ong Eng Hui has a view from the sea, and Google has a distant satellite view of the islet. Pulau Sialu is a small, uninhabited island off the Batu Pahat estuary. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1978 in favor of the Bukit Segenting lighthouse on the mainland, but it is still listed by NGA. The original lighthouse had a focal plane height of only 12 m (40 ft). Located roughly 2 km (1.2 mi) southwest of Bukit Segenting (next entry). Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS WMA-012; ex-Admiralty F1652; NGA 21708.
* Bukit Segenting
1978. Active; focal plane 86 m (282 ft); four white flashes every 30 s. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a small 1-story equipment room. Lighthouse painted white. Michael Ong Eng Hui has a 2009 photo, Angelica Tan has a distant photo, and Google has a very distant satellite view. In both photos, the lighthouse is somewhat dwarfed by a large maritime traffic control tower. Located on Tanjung Api Api, a promontory overlooking the Strait of Malacca about 12 km (7.5 mi) southwest of Batu Pahat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-002; Admiralty F1652.5; NGA 21712.
Tanjung Tohor
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white flash every 5 s. 16 m (52 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower on a platform supported by four piles. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located off Tanjung Tohor, about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Parit Jawa. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1650; NGA 21716.
Parit Jawa
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 4 s. 11 m (36 ft) fiberglass post light with gallery mounted on a square concrete pier. The lighthouse is white with a red band around the gallery. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located a short distance off the coast at Parit Jawa, northwest of Batu Pahat. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1648; NGA 21718.

Melaka (Malacca) Lighthouses
Pulau Undan
1880. Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 1-story keeper's house. Light tower painted red, keeper's house white. In a photo and a distant view, the red lighthouse is much shorter than the neighboring maritime communications tower. Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a very distant satellite view of the station. Located atop an island in the Strait of Malacca about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Melaka (Malacca). Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS WMA-013; Admiralty F1644; NGA 21728.
Umbai (Kuala Umbai)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); green flash every 5 s. 10 m (33 ft) cylindrical tower with gallery, mounted on a concrete platform supported by concrete piles. Entire lighthouse is white. Ben Sharif has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located about 300 m (330 yd) off the entrance to the small harbor of Umbai, a town about 10 km (6 mi) east of Malacca. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1642; NGA 21730.
* Malacca (St. Pauls' Church)
1849. Inactive. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) square masonry tower with lantern and gallery mounted on an arched base. Lighthouse painted white. Balaji Dutt's photo is at right, Wikimedia also has Rudolph Furtado's photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Founded in the 14th century, Malacca was the leading city of Malaya for at least 300 years. The lighthouse stands next to the ruins of St. Paul's Church, which was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century (St. Francis Xavier preached there) and renamed by the Dutch, who ruled Malacca from 1641 through most of the 18th century. Located atop St. Paul's Hill on the south side of the harbor of Melaka, as the city's name is now spelled. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-029.

Malacca Light, Malacca, November 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Balaji Dutt
Melaka (Malacca) Entrance
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10.5 m (34 ft); red flash every 4 s. 10.5 m (34 ft) round cylindrical fiberglass tower on a platform supported by four piles. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located in the entrance to Melaka harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1637; NGA 21735.
*** Tanjung Tuan (Cape Rachado)
1863. Active; focal plane 118 m (387 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 24 m (79 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. 1st order Fresnel lens in use. Original 1-story masonry keeper's house. A modern concrete tower, built in 1990, carries radar to monitor ship traffic in the narrow Strait of Malacca. A photo is at right, Auria Abraham has a closeup photo, Horng Yih Wong has another good photo, Wikimedia has a photo, the Malaysian edition of Wikipedia has an article with the same photo, the lighthouse appeared on a commemorative postal sheet, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. This is Malaysia's oldest active lighthouse and probably its most important; it stands at the end of a prominent ridge jutting out into the Strait at the northern end of the narrower part of the waterway. The forested ridge has long been recognized as one of the country's most important forest and wildlife reserves. The site figures in Malay legends and history; the 15th century warrior Hang Tuah is said to have meditated here and left his footprint in a boulder. According to other local accounts, the Portuguese built a lighthouse here in the 1500s, and the Dutch built another in 1817; we have no verification of these claims. The coast of Sumatra, on the other side of the strait, can be seen from the top of the lighthouse. Note: the cape is an exclave of Melaka state, although it is surrounded by the state of Negeri Sembilan. Located on a very prominent cape about 20 km (13 mi) south of Port Dickson. Site open, tower open for climbing by arrangement with the keepers. ARLHS WMA-003; Admiralty F1626; NGA 21748.

Negeri Sembilan Lighthouse
Arang
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 20 m (66 ft); two white flashes every 8 s. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) round hourglass-shaped tower, mounted on a square concrete platform supported by concrete piles. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. It is possible that this light has replaced the former skeletal tower on Pulau Arang, since a photo of that island shows no tower. Located 800 m (1/2 mi) southwest of Pulau Arang, marking the entrance to the harbor of Port Dickson. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1622.5; NGA 21760.

Southern Selangor Lighthouses
Tanjung Gebang
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white flash every 4 s. 28 m (98 ft) round concrete tower, mounted on a platform supported by piles. No photo available; the lighthouse is barely visible in a Google satellite view. Located a short distance off a headland about 15 km (9 mi) south of Banting. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1619; NGA 21776.
Tanjung Tuan Light
Tanjung Tuan (Cape Rachado) Light, April 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by ting2ever
* Bukit Jugra
1976. Active; focal plane 146 m (479 ft); white flash every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. A second concrete tower carries radar to monitor ship traffic. Tian Yake has a photo and a closeup, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a conspicuous hill on the east side of a river at Permatang Pasir. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-001; Admiralty F1614; NGA 21780.
One Fathom Bank (Permatang Sedepa) (3)
1907 (station established 1852). Inactive since 1999. Approx. 27 m (89 ft) octagonal skeletal cast iron tower with lantern, gallery, and enclosed upper portion, mounted atop a 2-story octagonal keeper's house standing on piles. In fact there are two lanterns, with a newer and smaller one raised above the original first-order lantern by an octagonal skeletal extension. The lighthouse was orginally painted with red and white horizontal bands; today the keeper's house and cast iron skeletal sections and painted white and the upper extension is black. Wikimedia has a good closeup, Huelse has a historic photo, and the lighthouse was featured on a 2004 postage stamp. This historic lighthouse was restored in 2004-05. The original lighthouse was replaced by a screwpile lighthouse in 1874. One Fathom Bank is a notoriously dangerous shoal in the Strait of Malacca. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-030.
One Fathom Bank (Permatang Sedepa) (4)
1999 (station established 1852). Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 43 m (141 ft) round cylindrical steel tower with lantern and triple gallery, rising from the center of a dome-shaped equipment shelter, mounted on a circular platform supported by pilings. Light tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo is at right, and Wikimedia has a closeup photo. The base of the lighthouse has accommodations visited by sport fishermen. Located on the shoal, about 30 km (20 mi) west southwest of the Klang Delta. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-007; Admiralty F1616; NGA 21784.
One Fathom Bank North
2009. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 3 s. 30 m (98 ft) round fiberglass tower on a platform supported by piles. No photo available. Located about 20 km (12.5 mi) northwest of the original One Fathom Bank lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1616.5; NGA 21795.
Tanjung Rhu
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 5 s. 24 m (79 ft) round fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete pier. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located in shallows about 1 km (0.6 mi) west of Tanjung (Cape) Rhu, the western tip of Pulau Carey, about 25 km (15 mi) southwest of Klang. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1610; NGA 21803.
One Fathom Bank Light
1999 One Fathom Bank Light, Strait of Malacca
Flickr Creative Commons photo by iGhosts

Klang Lighthouses
Tanjung Mahang Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); quick-flashing white light. 19 m (62 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, mounted on a platform supported by piles. Lighthouse painted white. The tower also carries a white conical daymark, point up. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This is the entrance range for Klang, the capital of Selangor state and a major port. Located off the southern tip of Pulau Che Mat Zin, 180 m (200 yd) south of the rear light. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1609; NGA 21806.
Tanjung Mahang Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 25 m (82 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, mounted on a platform supported by piles. Lighthouse painted white. The tower also carries a white conical daymark, point down. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the southern tip of Pulau Che Mat Zin, about 40 km (25 mi) southwest of downtown Klang. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1609.1; NGA 21806.1.
Klang First Point
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); red flash every 4 s. 17 m (56 ft) round hourglass-shaped concrete tower, mounted on a platform supported by four concrete piles. Mohd Nor Azmil Abdul Rahman has a sunset photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the Klang entrance channel about 1200 m (3/4 mi) northeast of the Tanjung Mahang range lights. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1608; NGA 21808.
Tanjung Sarang Lang
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 25 m (82 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower, mounted on a platform supported by piles. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the eastern point of Pulau Klang, opposite the inner harbor of the city. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1594; NGA 21820.
Klang South Port
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white, red, or green directional light, 2 s on, 2 s off. Light mounted on a 3-story building. No photo available, but a Google satellite view almost certainly shows this building. This light guides vessels on their final approach to the Klang waterfront. Located at Port Klang. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1596; NGA 21825.
* Tanjung Harapan
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 5 s. 11 m (36 ft) white concrete post carrying a large gallery and mounted on a platform supported by three piles. Gallery painted red as a daymark. A photo (just over halfway down the page) is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located just offshore on the north side of the entrance to the inner harbor of Port Klang. Accessible only by boat but easily seen from shore. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1595; NGA 21834.

Northern Selangor Lighthouses
Pulau Angsa
1887. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); flash every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Keeper's house and modern concrete radar tower. A photo is at right, Patrick Costello has a 2011 view from the sea, a Dutch travel agency has posted a photo, another view from the sea is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located atop a small island about 40 km (25 mi) northwest of Port Klang and 25 km (15 mi) south of Kuala Selangor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-008; Admiralty F1586; NGA 21848.
* Kuala Selangor (Altingsburg, Bukit Melawati)
1907. Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 27 m (89 ft) round two-stage tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. The lower half of the tower is cylindrical masonry, and the upper half is a conical cast iron tower. A photo appears at the top of the page, S.J. Liew has a good closeup, another closeup photo and a 2010 photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse stands on the hill known as Bukit Melawati, in the center of a 250 ha (600 acre) nature reserve adjoining the town of Kuala Selangor. Ruins of the Dutch Fort Altingsburg, built in 1784, can be seen near the lighthouse. The road to the lighthouse is closed on weekends due to limited parking, but trams are provided. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-005; Admiralty F1578; NGA 21860.
Permatang Angsa
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); quick-flashing white light. 22 m (72 ft) tower, upper half painted black, lower half yellow. No photo available, and Google's satellite view shows only a blur. Located on a shoal off Tanjung Karong, about 40 km (25 mi) northwest of Kuala Selangor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1580; NGA 21861.

Perak Lighthouses
Kuala Bernam
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 4 s. 14 m (46 ft) concrete post light with gallery, mounted on a square concrete platform supported by piles. The upper portion of the tower is surrounded by a white vertically-slatted daymark. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the north side of the channel in the entrance to the Bernam River, which forms the boundary between the states of Selangor and Perak. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1574.3; NGA 21884.
Pulau Angsa Light
Pulau Angsa Light, Kuala Selangor
Malaysian Marine Department photo
Pulau Jarak
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 162 m (531 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. Approx. 35 m (115 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted with red and white horizontal bands. A distant view is available, and the light can also be seen in Azrin Tajuddin's view of the island, but the island is only a blur in Google's satellite view. Located atop Pulau Jarak, a small, steep-sided island in the strait about 35 km (22 mi) southwest of Lumut. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS WMA-017; Admiralty F1566; NGA 21898.
Pulau Sembilan (White Rock) (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) post light mounted on a square equipment enclosure. Entire lighthouse is white. A 2007 photo is available, but the reef is not seen in Google's cloudy satellite view. NGA lists a skeletal tower at this location. Located on a dangerous rock about 25 km (15 mi) off Kampong Sungai Ular, Perak state. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS WMA-020; Admiralty F1565; NGA 21900.
Pulau Katak (3)
Date unknown (station established 1888). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white flash every 4 s. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) skeletal mast mounted on a round brick tower, painted white. Richie Yong has a distant view, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The original light on a mast was replaced in 1919 by a tower with a focal plane height of 27 m (89 ft); probably the skeletal mast is mounted atop this tower. Located on a small island off a promontory about 10 km (6 mi) south of Lumut on the coast of Perak state. Site status unknown. ARLHS WMA-009; Admiralty F1558.5; NGA 21912.
Kuala Beruas (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 20 m (66 ft) post light; the upper 2/3 of the tower is surrounded by a round cylindrical daymark colored with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located at a port entrance about 30 km (19 mi) north of Lumut. Site probably open, tower closed. Admiralty F1552.5; NGA 21970.

Pulau Penang (Penang Island) Lighthouses
Note: Penang (also spelled Pinang) is a large island (293 km2 or 113 mi2) off the northwestern coast of Malaya; together with a strip of land on the adjoining mainland it forms the state also called Pulau Pinang or simply Penang. Ceded to Britain by the Sultan of Kedah in 1786, the island was the first British base in Malaysia. It is accessible from the mainland by air, by a bridge, or by ferry from Butterworth on the mainland to George Town on the island.
Pulau Rimau
1885. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 17 m (56 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. A Marine Department photo is at right, a view from the sea is available, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the beginning of the approach from the south to George Town, the principal town of Penang island and the capital of Pulau Pinang state. Located on a small island off the southeastern tip of Penang Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-011; Admiralty F1540; NGA 21992.
Pulau Rimau Light
Pulau Rimau Light, Penang
Malaysian Marine Department photo
Owen Beacon (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); green flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) round white concrete tower mounted on a platform supported by piles. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located in the channel between the island and the mainland, about 1800 m (1.1 mi) south of the Penang Bridge. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1529; NGA 22016.
Wellesley Beacon (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round concrete tower mounted on a platform supported by piles. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located in the channel between the island and the mainland, off the Butterworth shore opposite Fort Point. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty F1512; NGA 22048.
* Fort Cornwallis (Fort Point, Penang) (1)
1882. Inactive since 1914. 21 m (69 ft) cast iron post with lantern and hexagonal gallery, painted white. Attached to the tower is a tall mast similar to a ship's mast, with two spars. Syeefa Jay's August 2007 photo and one of Wikimedia's photos show both lighthouses, Mathieu Castel has another good photo, and Forand has a historic postcard view. The tower remained in service as a signal tower after the light was deactivated. Both Fort Cornwallis lighthouses were restored in 2005-06 by the Penang State Tourism Development Committee. Located on a promontory in George Town, the capital of Penang, on the northeast side of the island. Site open, tower closed.
**** Fort Cornwallis (Fort Point, Penang) (2)
1914 (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); red flash every 2 s. 21 m (69 ft) square pyramidal cast iron skeletal tower with lantern, gallery, and enclosed watch room, painted white. Adjacent to the lighthouse is the tall signal mast carrying the original light (previous entry). Marc de Kleijn's photo appears at right, Lightphotos.net has a photo, Forand has a historic postcard photo, Huelse has a distant postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Prefabricated in England, this lighthouse is a rare survivor of its type. It stands within the walls of Fort Cornwallis, a classic star-shaped late 18th century fort that was the first British outpost in Malaya. A restoration project during 2006 made it possible to open the lighthouse to visitors; a small museum has also been built. Located on a promontory in George Town, the capital of Penang, at the northeastern corner of the island. Site open, tower open but we do not know the schedule. ARLHS WMA-004; Admiralty F1494; NGA 22056.
Pulau Tikus (2?)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); white flash every 3 s. 7 m (23 ft) post light with gallery, mounted on a small 1-story equipment room. Entire lighthouse painted white. There is a house, presumably an abandoned keeper's house, adjacent to the light, as well as a grave (probably of a former keeper). Google has a satellite view. Pulau Tikus (Rat Island) is a small island just off the northeast coast of Penang Island. Accessible only by boat, and several kayakers found the landing to be difficult. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-031; Admiralty F1490; NGA 22092.
Fort Cornwallis Light
1914 Fort Cornwallis Light, August 2009
photo copyright Marc de Kleijn; used by permission

Muka Head
1883. Active; focal plane 242 m (794 ft); white flash every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) round cylindrical granite tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white. This is a staffed station. Ralf Eulig's closeup photo appears at right, Horng Yih Wong has a 2008 photo, Forand has a historic postcard view, and Google has a fine satellite view. This lighthouse is the landfall light for Penang for ships arriving from the Indian Ocean. Located atop a high promontory at the northwestern tip of the island. There is no road access to this station; an early 2009 visitor reports that the lighthouse is accessible by a 2-hour hike (bring plenty of water) from the entrance to Penang National Park at Teluk Bahang. Site open, tower open by arrangement with the keeper. Site manager: Penang National Park. ARLHS WMA-006; Admiralty F1486; NGA 22088.

Kedah Lighthouses
*
Kuala Kedah (Kudah River)
1904. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) tapered round masonry tower, painted white. A 2010 photo and another photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to the estuary and harbor of Kuala Kedah, a town in the northwestern corner of Malaysia. There should be a view from ferries leaving Kuala Kedah for Langkawi. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS WMA-014; Admiralty F1478; NGA 22116.
Pulau Kedera
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 79 m (259 ft); white flash every 5 s. Listed by NGA only as a "white tower"; probably a concrete tower 10-15 m (33-49 ft) in height. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located atop a small island in the bay south of Langkawi, a popular resort island off the coast of Kedah state. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. ARLHS WMA-018; Admiralty F1477.3; NGA 22123.
Pulau Enggang (2)
Date unknown (2009?). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); white flash every 8 s. 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical concrete block tower, painted white. A February 2009 photo shows scaffolding around the lighthouse, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This new lighthouse replaced a skeletal tower. Located on a small island off the east coast of Pulau Tuba, on the southeast side of the Langkawi archipelago. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1476; NGA 22124.
Tanjung Chinchin
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 11 m (36 ft) round fiberglass tower mounted on a square concrete pier. Entire lighthouse is white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located just off the northwestern tip of Pulau Langkawi. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1470; NGA 22132.
Muka Head Light
Muka Head Light, 2006
photo copyright Ralf Eulig; used by permission
Pulau Dangli
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 86 m (282 ft); white flash every 10 s. NGA has no description of this light, but Google's satellite view shows what is probably a concrete tower 10-15 m (33-49 ft) in height. Located atop a small island off the north coast of Pulau Langkawi. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1471; NGA 22134.
Pulau Sigal
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white flash every 5 s. Described only as a "white structure" by NGA. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island off the north point of Pulau Timun and across a narrow channel from the southeastern point of Pulau Langkawi. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty F1476.3; NGA 22130.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Southern Thailand | South: Singapore | West: Northern Sumatra

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted March 12, 2006. Checked and revised December 31, 2013. Lighthouses: 49. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.