Lighthouses of Nicaragua: Caribbean Coast
Nicaragua is a country of Central America located south of Honduras
and north of Costa Rica. Spanning the isthmus, Nicaragua has coasts facing
southwest on the Pacific Ocean and east on the Caribbean Sea. This page describes the lighthouses of the Caribbean coast; there is a separate page for the Pacific coast.
Additional information from visitors to any of these lighthouses would
be very welcome.
Aids to navigation in Nicaragua are managed by the Aquatic Transport Directorate of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.
The Spanish word for a lighthouse is faro. In Spanish-speaking America, this word is used generally for all navigational lights, large and small, although smaller lights are also called balizas (beacons).
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. NGA numbers are from NGA
- General Sources
- World of Lighthouses - Nicaragua
- Photos available from Lightphotos.net.
- Lighthouses of Other Regions
- Historic postcard views posted by Michel Forand.
Little Corn Island Light, June 2014
photo copyright Kim Huguelet; permission requested
- South Caribbean Coast Autonomous Region Lighthouses
- * El Bluff (Bluefields Bluff)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); white flash every 3.8 s. 8 m (26 ft) square skeletal tower, painted white (not red, as listed by NGA). The tower is barely visible in a view from the sea by Ulises Gutierrez, a photo of the view from the lighthouse is available, and Google has a satellite view. A former pirate hangout, the fishing port of Bluefields is the only port of any size on Nicaragua's Caribbean coast. A former pirate hangout, it was the capital of the British protectorate of the Moskito Coast from 1740 to 1796. El Bluff is the name of the port district and of a prominent hill -- a rare eminence on this flat coast -- that protects the harbor. Located atop the bluff. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J6064; NGA 110-16500.
- ** Isla Pequeña del Maíz (Little Corn Island) (2)
- Date unknown. Reactivated(?); focal plane unknown; flashing white light. Approx. 15 m (49 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower
with gallery. A 2014 photo is at the top of this page, a closeup photo
is available, J.-P. Keskinen has a view from the top of the tower, and Google has a satellite
view. We need information on the history of this lighthouse.
An older tower lies on the ground next to the present tower. This light may have been reactivated in 2011, when it reappeared on the Admiralty list. The Islas del Maíz (Corn Islands) are in the Caribbean about 70 km
(45 mi) east of the Nicaraguan coast. They were under a British protectorate
until 1894, when Nicaragua assumed control. In 1914 the islands were leased
to the United States, although the U.S. never assumed direct administration. The
lease was terminated in 1971. Isla Pequeña del Maíz is accessible
by passenger ferry from Isla Grande de Maíz (Big Corn Island), which
is accessible by air from Managua. Located at the highest point of the island.
Site open, and tourists frequently climb the tower to take panoramic photos.
ARLHS NIC-002; Admiralty J6065; NGA 110-16502.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: Honduras | South: Caribbean Costa Rica
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Checked and revised September 22, 2016. Lighthouses: 2. Site copyright
2016 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.