Lighthouses of Norway: Telemark (Skien Area)

Norway is one of the world's most maritime nations. The country is long and narrow, with drowned valleys called fjords that bring the sea far inland in most regions. The mainland coast is estimated to be 2650 km (1650 mi) long, and when all the islands and minor indentations are counted the total coastline approaches an astonishing 60,000 km (37,500 mi), long enough the go around the world one and a half times. With such a lengthy and rocky shore, it's not surprising that Norway has a large number of lighthouses.

This page lists lighthouses of the county of Telemark, which faces the west side of the Oslofjord and the north side of the Skagerrak on Norway's south coast. Skien is the largest town in this region and the seat of the county government.

Although it has always been considered a separate realm, Norway has only been independent since 1905; it was ruled by the Danish king until 1814 and then by the Swedish king until the Norwegian parliament arranged a peaceful separation of the two kingdoms.

In Norway a lighthouse is simply called a fyr (fire). Aids to navigation are maintained by the Kystverket (Coast Directorate), an agency of the Ministry of Transport and Communications.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. NF numbers are from the Norsk Fyrliste. Admiralty numbers are from volume B of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 115.

General Sources
Norwegian Lighthouse Association (Norsk Fyrhistorisk Forening)
With pages in both Norwegian and English, the Association's site provides photos and information on selected lighthouses. There is a page for the lighthouses of Telemark.
Online List of Lights - Norway North Sea
Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas; many of these photos were taken by Michael Boucher, Ronald Wöhrn, or Capt. Peter Mosselberger.
Lighthouses in Telemark
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Norway
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Norsk Fyrliste
2014 edition of the Norwegian light list.
Norwegische Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
Liste over Norske Fyr
From Norwegian Wikipedia, a handy list of Norwegian light stations with their dates of establishment.

Jomfruland Light
Jomfruland Fyr, Kragerø, May 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by gunnsteinlye

Porsgrunn Lighthouses
Røodden
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9.5 m (31 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting once every 6 s. 10.5 m (34 ft) concrete post with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white with one green horizontal band, lantern white with a red roof. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the southeastern tip of Sandøy, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northeast of Ekstrand. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. NF-0457; Admiralty B2596.4; NGA 0904.
Midtfjordskjær
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10.5 m (34 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting three times every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) concrete post with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white with one red horizontal band, lantern white with a red roof. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in the Frierfjord about 1 km (0.6 mi) west of the E-18 bridge at Brevik. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. NF-0476; Admiralty B2642; NGA 0944.
Saltbuodden
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting once every 6 s. 6 m (20 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Tower covered with white siding; lantern painted white with a red roof. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo (also seen at right), and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the Frierfjord about 5 km (3 mi) above Brevik. Site status unknown. NF-0477; Admiralty B2644; NGA 0948.

Skien Lighthouse
* Torsberg
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting once every 6 s. 6.5 m (21 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Tower covered with white siding; lantern painted white with a red roof. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located beside the Svanvikvegen (highway 356) at the west side of the entrance to the Porsgrunn River opposite Porsgrunn. Site open, tower closed. NF-0480; Admiralty B2646; NGA 0956.
Saltbuodden Fyr
Saltbuodden Fyr, Porsgrunn
photo copyright Capt. Peter Mosselberger; used by permission

Bamble Lighthouses
Steinholmen
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 8 m (26 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 9 m (30 ft) concrete post with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white with a red horizontal band, lantern white with a red roof. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the south side of the Brevikfjord just east of the Grenlandsbrua (bridge). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. NF-0469; Admiralty B2639.5.
Krabberød
2010. Active; focal plane about 7.5 m (25 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 8.5 m (26 ft) concrete post with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white with two red horizontal bands, lantern white with a red roof. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the south side of the Brevikfjord midway between the Grenlandsbrua and the Breviksbrua (bridges). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. NF-0468; Admiralty B2636.8; NGA 0937.
Mølletangen
2010. Active; focal plane about 9 m (30 ft); red light, 1 s on, 1 s off. 10 m (33 ft) concrete post with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white with a red horizontal band, lantern white with a red roof. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, A. Herfindal has a closeup photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on the south side of the Brevikfjord just east of the Breviksbrua (bridge). Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. NF-0465; Admiralty B2635.8.
* Gjermesholmen (Croftholmen)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 5 m (17 ft); red or green light, occulting once every 6 s. 6 m (20 ft) lantern and gallery on a platform supported by four straight piles. Lantern painted white with a red roof, piles painted black. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Gjermesholmen (or Croftholmen) is an island on the south side of the Brevikfjord at Stathelle. Located on the northern point of the island, which is accessible by a short bridge from the mainland. Site open, tower closed. NF-0464; Admiralty B2632; NGA 0928.
* Figgeskjær
1892. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s. 9 m (30 ft) square skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome red. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square "Swiss-chalet" wood fog bell tower, painted white, with open bell enclosure and bell. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The fog bell tower, built in 1911, has been inactive since 1989. The bell and striking mechanism are intact, and the station is perserved as a historic monument. Located on a point of land on the west side of the Langesundfjorden about 1 km (0.6 mi) north of Langesund. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS NOR-078; NF-0460; Admiralty B2616; NGA 0912.
* Langesund Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red light occulting once every 6 s. 9 m (30 ft) lantern mounted on a concrete column at the end of a jetty. Lantern painted white with a red roof. Google has an indistinct street view and an indistinct satellite view. This range guides vessels southbound into Langesund; the front light is in a small lantern on a pier 425 m (1/4 mi) to the north. Located at the end of a short pier at the northern end of Langesund harbor. Site open, tower closed. NF-0463; Admiralty B2620.1; NGA 0920.
* Langøytangen (2)
1876 (station established 1839). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting once every 6 s. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, attached to one end of a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery red. Fog horn (two blasts every 60 s). Additional 1-1/2-story keeper's house and other buildings, some available for overnight accommodations. Marius Kallhardt's photo is at right, Trabas has posted a lovely photo by Wöhrn, the Lighthouse Association has a page for the lighthouse, Wikimedia has several photos, Sebastian Bergmann has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the southern tip of Langøy (Long Island), a 1.5 km (1 mi) long island that forms a natural breakwater for the harbor of Langesund. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Langesundsfjorden Kystlag. ARLHS NOR-152; NF-0442; Admiralty B2598; NGA 0852.
Mejulen
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) lantern mounted on a platform supported by piles. Lantern painted white with a red roof, piles painted black. Wikimedia has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the northwest side of a small island about 6 km (3.5 mi) southwest of Langesund. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. NF-0506; Admiralty B2674; NGA 0980.
Langøytangen Light
Langøytangen Fyr, Bamble, August 2006
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Marius Kallhardt

Kragerø Lighthouses
**** Jomfruland (Range Rear) (1)
1839. Inactive since 1938. 22 m (72 ft) round brick tower with gallery, painted white; lantern removed. Lantern removed; weather instruments and a communications antenna are mounted on the capped tower. Roger Lovseth has a closeup photo, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the lighthouse with its lantern and a wooden fog signal tower (since removed). Jomfruland is a low island, a glacial moraine, lying parallel to the coast of the Skagerrak off the mouth of the Kragerøfjord. The island is popular as a summer resort and as a birding destination. The old tower now houses a lighthouse museum, and the adjoining keeper's house is an art gallery. During the summer, open-air concerts are held on the grounds of the station. Located near the center of the island; transportation is available from Kragerø. Site open, tower open during the summer. ARLHS NOR-313.
* Jomfruland (Range Rear) (2)
1938 (station established 1839). Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); continuous white light with a brighter flash every 15 s. 31 m round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. 2nd order Fresnel lens in use. Lighthouse painted white, lantern dome red. Several keeper's houses, greenhouse, and other station buildings. A photo is at the top of this page, Trabas has a closeup photo by Wöhrn, Karen Tjøstelsdatter has a 2008 photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a closeup street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The range guides ships approaching the Kragerøfjord and Kragerø; the continuous light also aids ships sailing toward Oslo. Located near the center of the island; transportation is available from Kragerø. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS NOR-025; NF-0525; Admiralty B2698; NGA 1032.
* Djupodden (Jomfruland Range Front) (1)(?)
1904. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white light, occulting but NGA does not list the period. 6 m (20 ft) square skeletal tower with wood siding, lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. A photo is available (1/3 of the way down the page). Google's satellite view suggests that the light may have been moved to a mast. Located on the coast of Jomfruland about 1150 m (3/4 mi) southwest of the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. NF-0526; Admiralty B2696; NGA 1028.
Knubbehausen (2)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) concrete post with lantern and gallery, mounted on a concrete platform supported by three piles. Lighthouse painted white with one red horizontal band; lantern roof also painted red. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. This light had to be replaced after being destroyed by collision with the ship Hagland Saga in April 2011. Located in the Skagerrak about 1.5 km (1 mi) southeast of the entrance to the Kragerøfjorden. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. NF-0530; Admiralty B2716; NGA 1034.
* Stavseng (Range Rear)
1874. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical wood tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof is red. A Culture Ministry photo is at right, Trabas has a photo by Wöhrn, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the south coast of Tåtøy, an island in the mouth of Kragerøfjord. The island is accessible by ferry from Kragerø. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS NOR-226; NF-0532; Admiralty B2708.1; NGA 1040.
Stavseng Light
Stavseng Light, Kragerø
Flickr photo copyright Norwegian Culture Ministry
Buttebåen
1907. Active; focal plane 4 m (13 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting twice every 8 s. 5 m (17 ft) round fiberglass lantern mounted on steel piles. Lantern colored white with a red roof, piles painted black. Trabas has a photo by Wöhrn, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located in the Kragerøfjorden off the western tip of the island of Slatøy. Accessible only by boat, although there is probably a good view from the island. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty B2710; NF-0533; NGA 1044.
Galeiodden (Kragerø Havn) (2)
Date unknown (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 4 m (13 ft); white, red or green light depending on direction, occulting once every 6 s. 5 m (17 ft) post with lantern and gallery. Lantern painted white with a red roof. Trabas has Wöhrn's photo, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the eastern tip of the rocky islet of Galeiodden, in Kragerø harbor. The island is accessible by a bridge. Site open, tower closed. NF-0538; Admiralty B2714; NGA 1052.
* Strømtangen (Range Front)
1874. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white or red light depending on direction, occulting once every 6 s. 9 m (30 ft) 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house with lantern on the front of the building. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Trabas has an excellent photo by Wöhrn, Tore Heggelund has a photo, Lars Verket has a closeup photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is both a directional light and the front light of a range, with the Stavseng lighthouse being the rear light. Note: there is another Strømtangen lighthouse near Fredrikstad (see the Fredrikstad Area page). Located on a point of land at the west entrance to the Kragerøfjord. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS NOR-291; NF-0531; Admiralty B2708; NGA 1036.

Strømtangen Fyr, Kragerø
Flickr photo copyright Norwegian Culture Ministry

Lake Bandak Lighthouse
Note: Lake Bandak, in northwestern Telemark, is connected to the sea by the Telemark Canal. Connecting several lakes, the canal extends 105 km (65 mi) from Skien to Dalen, with 18 locks. Lake Bandak, the highest and westernmost of the lakes joined by the canal, has an elevation of about 72 m (236 ft).
[Høynesodden (Dalen)]
Date unknown. Inactive. 3 m (10 ft) octagonal lantern, painted white with a red roof. A photo is available (near the bottom of the page). This is said to be the highest lighthouse in Norway (it has a focal plane of about 80 m (262 ft) above sea level, 8 m (26 ft) above the lake surface). Located on a promontory a short distance east of Dalen. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Vestfold (Larvik Area) | West: Aust-Agder (Arendal Area)

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted April 10, 2006. Checked and revised February 11, 2017. Lighthouses: 20. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.