Lighthouses of Canada: Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia is the province at the extreme southeastern corner of Canada. The southern and eastern parts of the province lie on a peninsula facing the Atlantic to the east and the Bay of Fundy to the west. Cape Breton Island lies to the northeast, separated from the main part of the province by the narrow Strait of Canso. The island faces Northumberland Strait on the southwest, the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the northwest, Cabot Strait to the north, the open Atlantic Ocean to the east, and Chedabucto Bay to the south.

Cape Breton Island is nearly divided north to south by the intricate waterways of the Bras d'Or Lake, which is actually a small, brackish inland sea. At the south, the St. Peters Canal joins Bras d'Or Lake to the Atlantic.

The island has a distinctive history: it was a French colony until 1763 and it was a British colony, separate from Nova Scotia, from 1784 to 1820.

Some of the more remote lighthouses of the island are poorly known and no photos are available. Additional information and photos would be welcome.

Rip Irwin's book, Lighthouses and Lights of Nova Scotia (Halifax: Nimbus Publishing, 2011) is an essential reference for understanding these lighthouses.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008, Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010, the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses.

CCG numbers are from the Atlantic Coast volume of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

Louisbourg Light
Louisbourg Light, Louisbourg, November 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Roy Tanaka

General Sources
Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society
This outstanding web site has a wealth of photos, information, and news.
Nova Scotia Canada Lighthouses
Excellent photos plus historical and visitor information from Kraig Anderson's LighthouseFriends.com web site.
Nova Scotia
Lighthouse photos from visits by C.W. Bash in 2008.
Lighthouses in Nova Scotia
Photos available from Wikimedia; included is a large collection of photos by Dennis Jarvis (several appear on this page).
Nova Scotia Lighthouses
Fine photos by Paul Illsley.
Leuchttürme an der kanadischen Ostküste
Photos of Nova Scotia lighthouses taken in 2004 by Bernd Claußen.
World of Lighthouses - Canada Atlantic Coast
Photos available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Nova Scotia, Canada
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Nova Scotia Lighthouses
Lorne Hull has posted excellent photos and accounts for about 20 of the lighthouses.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Inverness County Lighthouses

Great Bras d'Or Lake Lighthouse
Cameron Island
1903 (relocated here in 1977). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green flash every 4 s. 8.5 m (28 ft) tower, painted white. Lantern removed. A 2011 photo is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Anderson's photo shows a black horizontal band on the tower, but the 2013 Coast Guard light list describes it as all white. The lighthouse was originally the front light of the Clarke Cove Range. Cameron is a small island in West Bay, the southwestern corner of Bras d'Or Lake. Located at the northeast end of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-069; CCG 838; Admiralty H0832; NGA 9057.

West Coast Lighthouses
Henry Island
1902 (Joseph MacDonald). Active; focal plane 61 m (200 ft); white flash every 4 s. 16 m (53 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. The eight vertical faces are painted alternately red and white; the lantern is painted red. The original 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house, recently restored, is used as a private summer residence. Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the island facing St. George's Bay. Site and tower generally closed (the island is privately owned), but tours to the island and lighthouse can be arranged. Accessible only by boat. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Henry Island Lighthouse Preservation Society. ARLHS CAN-227; CCG 881; Admiralty H1222; NGA 8720.
*** Mabou Harbour (2)
1908 (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); continuous green light. 14 m (47 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Jarvis's photo is at right, Bash has a photo, Anderson has a photo, Illsley has an excellent photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. Originally built as the rear light of a range; the front light was discontinued in 1987. Since 1998 the lighthouse serves as the Mabou Harbour Museum and Tourist Centre. The Coast Guard proposed to extinguish the light in 2001, but apparently they were dissuaded. Located on the waterfront at Mabou Harbour. Site and tower open. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Mabou Harbour Authority. ARLHS CAN-291; CCG 876; Admiralty H1216.1; NGA 8748.
Margaree Island (Sea Wolf Island) (2)
1958 (station established 1854). Active; focal plane 91 m (298 ft); white flash every 4 s. 8 m (27 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. Anderson has a closeup photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a distant satellite view. The island, 4 km (2.5 mi) offshore in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, is mostly ringed by sheer cliffs. Located at the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat in rough seas. Site and tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Margaree Island National Wildlife Area. ARLHS CAN-305; CCG 874; Admiralty H1208; NGA 8760.
* Margaree Harbour Range Front
1900. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); continuous yellow light. 4.5 m (15 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. Illsley has a closeup photo, Anderson has a photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Jarvis has a photo of both range lights, Stuart Applegath has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a fuzzy satellite view. Located off Margaree Harbour Shore Road. Site status uncertain, but the lighthouses can be seen from nearby. Tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-607; CCG 872; Admiralty H1202; NGA 8764.
Mabou Harbour Light
Mabou Harbour Light, Mabou Harbour, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis
* Margaree Harbour Range Rear
1900. Active; focal plane 21 m (68 ft); continuous yellow light. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. Anderson has a photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Jarvis has a photo of both range lights, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located off Margaree Harbour Shore Road. Site status uncertain, but the lighthouses can be seen from nearby. Tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-304; CCG 873; Admiralty H1202.1; NGA 8768.
* Enragée Point (Cape Enragée, Chéticamp) (2)
1957 (station established 1937). Active; focal plane 22.5 m (74 ft); three white flashes, separated by 4 s, every 24 s. 13 m (42 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). 1-1/2 story keeper's house and several utility buildings. Jarvis's photo is at right, Bash has a photo is at right, Illsley has a good photo, Anderson has a photo, Ron Pettitt has a good photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was destroyed by fire in October 1956. Note: There is also a Cape Enragé lighthouse in southern New Brunswick. Located on the northwest point of Chéticamp Island, which is connected to the mainland south of Chéticamp by a narrow bar. Accessible by a short hike across the island. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-170; CCG 867; Admiralty H1188; NGA 8800.
* Chéticamp Harbour Range Front (2)
1894 (station established 1890). Inactive since 1986. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern. The lighthouse was originally painted white with red trim, and the lantern was painted red. P. Kramer has a 2003 photo showing this pattern. In 2005 the lighthouse was repainted in with red, white, and blue horizontal bands, as seen in Illsley's photo and a photo by Mark Luukkonen. Bash's 2008 photo shows another repainting, white with a blue lantern and a red lantern roof. Bing has a distant satellite view. The lighthouse was relocated in 1914 and again in 1950 due to changes in the channel alignment. The lighthouse is leased to Acadian Whale Cruise as its office. Located just off the waterfront in the center of Chéticamp. Site and tower open. Site manager: Acadian Whale Cruise. ARLHS CAN-135.
* Caveau Point Range Rear
1897. Reactivated (inactive 1976-1990); focal plane 31 m (103 ft); continuous red light. 8 m (27 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line; the lantern roof is also red. Anderson has a photo, Lorne Hull also has a nice photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos misidentified as "Chéticamp Harbour Light," and Bing has a satellite view. Jarvis's fine 2011 photo shows the lighthouse freshly repainted. In 1976, both the front range light and the rear light were moved to skeletal towers, and apparently the front range lighthouse was demolished. Lightphotos.net has a photo of the present front light, carried on a short post. The rear light was returned to the historic tower in 1990. Located on the north side of Chéticamp; visible from the Cabot Trail (highway 19). Site and tower closed (private property). Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-123; CCG 863; Admiralty H1182.1; NGA 8804.
Enragée Point Light
Enragée Point Light, Chéticamp, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Victoria County Lighthouses

St. Paul Island Lighthouses
Note: St. Paul Island is in Cabot Strait about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Cape North and about 70 km (45 mi) southwest of Cape Race, Newfoundland. It is not inhabited, and landing requires special permission from the Coast Guard.
[St. Paul Island South Point (St. Paul Island Southwest) (3)]
1964 (station established 1831). Active; focal plane 46 m (150 ft); white flash every 4 s. 6 m (20 ft) cylindrical steel tower, painted white with a single red band at the top; no lantern. The 2-story wood hip-roofed keeper's house (1912) is falling rapidly into ruin. Wikimedia has a page with a photo, Jean-Nicolas Rinfret has an aerial photo, and Google has a very distant satellite view. The original wood lighthouse at this station burned in 1916. It was replaced by a cylindrical steel lighthouse, which was relocated first to the Coast Guard station in Dartmouth and more recently to Dingwall (see below). Lighthouse Digest has an excellent article on the history of the island and light station. Located at the southwestern tip of the island. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS STP-001; CCG 1477; Admiralty H0876; NGA 8852.
St. Paul Island North Point (2)
1962 (station established 1839). Active; focal plane 38.5 m (126 ft); white light, 2 s on, 10 s off. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white; lantern is red. This historic light station guards the southern entrance to the Gulf of St. Lawrence from the Atlantic. Jean-Nicolas Rinfret has an aerial photo, Anderson has the same or a very similar photo, a 1996 photo is available, Lighthouse Digest has an excellent article on the history of the island and light station, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Located on a rocky islet just off the northeastern end of the island. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS STP-002; CCG 1476; Admiralty H0878; NGA 8856.

Cape North Area Lighthouses
Cape North (4)
2010 (station established 1876). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); white light, 2 s on, 6 s off. 14.5 m (48 ft) square skeletal tower; the front of the tower carries a large daymark painted with red and white horizontal bands. Fog horn (6 s blast every 60 s). This light replaced the 1980 lighthouse, a square pyramidal tower attached to a 1-story service building. A view of the new lighthouse is available. There's also a view of the former light from the sea, Marinas.com has good aerial photos, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view of the station. Anderson has a photo of the former lighthouse toppled during the replacement. This light marks the northern extremity of Cape Breton Island, but it is actually located on Money Point, 1.6 km (1 mi) south southeast of the point of the cape. The second lighthouse here (1907-1980) was the 1856 cast iron tower from Cape Race, Newfoundland; this lighthouse was relocated a second time in 1980 and is now on display at the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa, Ontario. The light station is accessible by 4WD from the Cabot Trail spur at Bay St. Lawrence, but the last few miles require hiking down a steep and rough trail. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-103; CCG 854; Admiralty H0872; NGA 8848.
* St. Paul Island South Point (St. Paul Island Southwest) (2) (relocated)
1916. Inactive since 1964. 9 m (30 ft) cylindrical steel tower, painted white, with a lantern painted red. The abandoned tower was relocated in 1981 to the dockside parking lot of the Coast Guard station in Dartmouth. The original lantern had deteriorated beyond the possibility of salvage, so a replica was built to house the original 4th order Fresnel lens. The St. Paul Island Historical Society asked to move this lighthouse to a museum at Dingwall, the Cape Breton Island town closest to St. Paul Island. In October 2010, officials announced agreement on making the move. The lighthouse was disassembled and transported by flatbed truck to Dingwall, where it was reassembled in the summer of 2011. Jarvis's photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Located adjacent to the St. Paul Island Museum, on the south side of Dingwall Harbour in Dingwall, about 20 km (13 mi) south of Cape North. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: St. Paul Island Historical Society.
St. Paul Island South Point Light
St. Paul Island South Point Light, Dingwall, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis
*** Neil's Harbour
1899. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous white light. 13 m (43 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white; lantern is red. A photo is at right, Illsley has a photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Anderson has a photo, Wikimedia has a 2010 photo, and Google has a very distant satellite view of the location. Located at the end of Lighthouse Road in Neil's Harbour. Since 1998 the local fire department has operated an ice cream shop in the lighthouse during the summer months. Gord Handley has a photo of the lighthouse being painted in September 2006. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Neil's Harbour Fire Department. ARLHS CAN-339; CCG 851; Admiralty H0866; NGA 8880.

St. Ann's Bay Lighthouses
Munroe Point
1906. Inactive since the early 1960s. 9.5 m (32 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim. The lantern has been replaced with a square wood room having ordinary windows. Anderson has a photo, but Google has only a very distant satellite view of the point. This lighthouse had been available for summer rental by the week, but in 2008 its web page was withdrawn. We need more information on its status; presumably it is in use only as a private residence. Located on a promontory on the west side of St. Ann's Bay. Site and tower status unknown. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1307.
[Ciboux Island (4)]
1980 (station established 1863). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); red light, 2 s on, 10 s off. 9 m (30 ft) fiberglass tower, painted white with two horizontal red bands. Anderson has photos, NSLPS has a distant view by Kathy Brown, and Nova Scotia Archives has a historic photo of the original lighthouse, but Google has only a distant satellite view of the island. Located at the northern end of the island, in St. Ann's Bay off the Bras d'Or entrances. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-139; CCG 844; Admiralty H0856.

Neil's Harbour Lighthouse
Neil's Harbour Light, Neil's Harbour, August 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Bobcatnorth


Bras d'Or Lake West Side Lighthouses
Kidston Island (Baddeck) (3)
1959 (station established 1875). Active; focal plane 13.5 m (44 ft); green light, 2 s on, 10 s off. 14.5 m (47 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Sarbjit Mander's photo is at right, Bash has a 2008 photo, Anderson has a photo, there's another good 2008 photo, Peter Graham has a view from the lake, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Huelse has a historic postcard view, but Google's distant satellite view does not reveal the tower. Ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the town of Baddeck in 2005. In 2013, the town began a restoration of the lighthouse, and work was continuing in 2014. Located on the eastern end of the island at the entrance to Baddeck Harbour, St. Patrick's Channel. Accessible only by boat, but visible from the Baddeck waterfront. Boat tours are available. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Village of Baddeck. ARLHS CAN-261; CCG 815; Admiralty H0800; NGA 8996.
[Kidston Island West End]
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13.5 m (44 ft); red flash every 6 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) fiberglass tower, painted white with two horizontal red bands. Google's distant satellite view does not reveal the tower. Located at the west end of Kidston island, marking the south entrance to Baddeck. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-862; CCG 815.1; Admiralty H0801; NGA 9000.
* Gillis Point
1895. Active; focal plane 22.5 m (74 ft); white flash every 4 s. 11 m (37 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is covered with white vinyl siding; the lantern is painted red. 2-story wood keeper's house, formerly attached, removed in 1978. The lighthouse is in poor condition in Anderson's photos. Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a cloudy satellite view. Located at the entrance to Maskell's Harbour from Great Bras d'Or Lake. Accessible by a short walk from Washabuck Road, 8 km (5 mi) off NS 223. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-201; CCG 832; Admiralty H0812; NGA 9044.
Kidston Island Lighthouse
Kidston Island Light, Baddeck, July 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Sarbjit Mander
[Little Narrows (2)]
1980 (station established 1881). Inactive since 2010. 10 m (33 ft) fiberglass tower, painted white with two horizontal red bands. Anderson has a view from the water, and Google has a satellite view. Little Narrows is a straight connecting the St. Patrick Channel to Whycocomagh Bay. Located on the east side of the strait about 800 m (1/2 mi) north of the Little Narrows ferry. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-280; ex-Admiralty H0804; NGA 9036.

Great Bras d'Or Entrance (Boularderie Island) Lighthouses
* Man of War Point (2)
1925 (station established 1912). Inactive. Approx. 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern removed 1971. As of 2001, the lighthouse was reported to be partially dismantled and in two pieces. Some local fundraising efforts were in progress. They succeeded, apparently; Bash's 2008 photo shows the lighthouse in good condition. Anderson has photos, but Google has only a very distant satellite view of the point. Located on the point, at the end of Man of War Point Road, about south of Great Bras d'Or; Anderson found the lighthouse on private property next to an art gallery. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen from the road. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-301.
* Man of War Point (3)
Date unknown (station established 1912). Active; focal plane 28.5 m (94 ft); continuous yellow light. 20 m (66 ft) triangular cylindrical skeletal tower carrying a slatted daymark painted white with a red vertical stripe. Located on the point, about 400 m (1/4 mi) west of the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 809.8; Admiralty H0792.1; NGA 8982.
* McNeil Beach (2)
1909 (station established 1884). Inactive since 1961. 10 m (33 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern roof is red. Bash has a 2008 photo, a 2009 photo is available, NSLPS has an older photo, Anderson has photos, Illsley has a distant view, Huelse has a postcard view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a distant satellite view. This lighthouse was deactivated when the Seal Island Bridge (NS 105) was built across Great Bras d'Or Lake. Michel Forand visited the lighthouse in September 2005 and found it to be in very poor condition. Shortly thereafter, however, the lighthouse was beautifully restored by the Boularderie Island Historical Society. Located a few hundred meters southwest of the east end of the bridge; accessible by a hiking path. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Acadia University. Site manager: Boularderie Island Historical Society. ARLHS CAN-295.
Great Bras d'Or Range Front
1903. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous green light. 9.5 m (32 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. Anderson has photos, Jarvis has a good photo, and Marinas.com has aerial photos, but the tower cannot be distinguished in Google's satellite view. Located at Noire Point off the end of Ferry Road in Great Bras d'Or. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-209; CCG 803; Admiralty H0782; NGA 8932.
* Great Bras d'Or Range Rear
1903. Active; focal plane 19 m (63 ft); continuous green light. 16 m (54 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. Illsley has an excellent photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Anderson has a photo, Jarvis has a more distant photo, and Marinas.com has aerial photos. Located at Noire Point off the end of Ferry Road in Great Bras d'Or. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-606; CCG 804; Admiralty H0782.1; NGA 8936.
* Black Rock Point (2)
1937 (station established 1868). Inactive since 1978. 10.5 m (34 ft) square lantern centered on the roof of a 2-story wood keeper's house. Building painted white with red vertical stripes and red trim; lantern roof is red. Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was sold in 1979 and relocated as a private residence. Located on the north side of Penny Road, off Black Rock Road about 1 km (0.6 mi) southwest of the present lighthouse. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from the road. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1289.
Great Bras d'Or Range Rear Light
Great Bras d'Or Range Rear Light, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo copyright C.W. Bash
* Black Rock Point (3)
1978 (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 23.5 m (77 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 10.5 m (35 ft) square cylindrical wood tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story fog signal building. Lighthouse painted white; lantern and gallery are red. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). 50 m (165 ft) west of the lighthouse, the Black Rock Point Sector Light (continuous light, white, red or green depending on direction; CCG 800; Admiralty H0779; NGA 8920) is mounted on a small skeletal tower. Illsley has a good photo, Anderson has a photo, Jarvis has a 2011 photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, and Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Originally this light carried a rotating aerobeacon without a lantern; the lantern was added in 1987. The light marks the east side of the northern entrance to the Great Bras d'Or Channel from St. Ann's Bay. Located on Black Rock Light Road 800 m (1/2 mi) from Black Point Road, off NS 105 at exit 14; accessible by a dirt road. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-043; CCG 799; Admiralty H0778; NGA 8916.

Cape Breton County Lighthouses

North Coast (Sydney Area) Lighthouse
#Point Aconi (2)
1989 (station established 1874). Destroyed in 2014. This was an 11.5 m (38 ft) fiberglass tower with flared top, octagonal lantern and gallery. Tower painted white; lantern is red. 1-story wood keeper's house. Fog horn (6 s blast every 60 s). Dave Carter's photo is at right, a 2007 photo is available, Anderson has a photo, Jarvis has a photo, Howie Hennigar has a closeup, Bash has a distant view, aerial photos from Marinas.com show the spectacular nature of the site, and Bing has a distant satellite view. In September 2011, thieves broke into the station to steal copper wiring, putting the light temporarily out of service; Jarvis has a photo with an account of this incident. In 2012, the Bras d'Or and Area Historical Society was working on plans to restore the station as a tourist attraction. However, the lighthouse burned to the ground, cause unknown, in late February 2014. Located off NS 105, on the point, east of the Great Bras d'Or entrance. Site open. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-386; CCG 796. Admiralty H0770; NGA 9080.
Sydney Range Front
1905. Active; focal plane 18 m (60 ft); yellow light, 2 s on, 2 s off, visible only on the range line. 17.5 m (58 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a vertical red stripe on the range line; lantern is red. Bash's photo is at the bottom of this page, Anderson has photos, Jordan Crowe has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located off NS 239, on the south side of the western arm of Sydney Harbour. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-494; CCG 782; Admiralty H0761; NGA 9104.
Point Aconi Light
Point Aconi Light, North Sydney, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dave Carter
#Sydney Range Rear (1)
1905. Demolished sometime in 2008-09. This was a 12 m (40 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red upper portion and a vertical red stripe on the range line. Bash has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Sometime in 2008-09 this lighthouse was replaced by a skeletal tower (focal plane 38 m (125 ft); yellow light, 2 s on, 2 s off, visible only on the range line). Anderson has a photo of the new light, and Google has a satellite view. Located off NS 239, on the south side of the western arm of Sydney Harbour, about 750 m (1/2 mi) south southwest of the front light. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-641; CCG 783; Admiralty H0761.1; NGA 9108.
Sydney Bar (5)
1973 (station established 1872). Active; focal plane 9 m (29 ft); continuous green light. Triangular skeleton mast on the northeast corner of a 5 m (16 ft) square concrete building, mounted on a concrete pier surrounded by sheet-steel pilings. Bash has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Earlier lights at this exposed location were destroyed repeatedly by storms; the Nova Scotia Archives has a historic photo of the third (1912) lighthouse. Located on the end of the southeast bar in Sydney Harbour. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-493; CCG 778; Admiralty H0760; NGA 9112.
* Low Point (Flat Point) (2)
1938 (station established 1832). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white flash every 5 s. 22 m (72 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white. Rare Chance Brothers circular lantern, painted red; rotating aerobeacon. The 3rd order Fresnel lens, replaced in 1984, is reported to be in storage at the Coast Guard base in Dartmouth. 1-story wood keeper's house, painted white with a red roof. Fog horn (two 3 s blasts, separated by 3 s, every 60 s). Jarvis's photo is at right, Bash has a good photo, Dave Carter has a closeup photo, Illsley has a lovely photo, Anderson has a photo, a 2009 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. One of the earliest and most important light stations of Nova Scotia. Vandalized after the lighthouse was automated in 1988, the keeper's house was restored in 2002-03 by the Sydney Harbour Fortification Society. The building was scheduled to be opened in summer 2003, but vandals struck again in May of that year. In 2014 a new preservation group was forming to work for heritage designation and restoration of the lighthouse. Located off NS 28 in New Waterford, marking the eastern entrance to Sydney Harbour. Visible from the Marine Atlantic ferries to Newfoundland. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-287; CCG 775. Admiralty H0758; NGA 9100.
Glace Bay Range Front (relocated)
1907. Inactive since about 1980. Approx. 5 m (16 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern. Anderson has photos, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. Previously thought to have been demolished, this little lighthouse was discovered in 2003 by Dave Buckley in the back yard of a private residence in Glace Bay. It is in poor condition. Lighthouse Digest featured the range lights in December 2003. Located near the end of Bathgate Street in Glace Bay. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-957.
Flint Island (4)
1962 (station established 1856). Active; focal plane 21 m (70 ft); two white flashes, separated by 4 s, every 25 s. 18 m (59 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; the lantern is red. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). A view from the sea and a second view are available, Anderson has distant views, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and a historic photo of the station is available. The first lighthouse burned in August 1864. The second served until 1950, but the third was so poorly constructed it had to be rebuilt in 1962. The lighthouse was automated in 1985 and the keeper's house burned to the ground the following year. Located about 8 km (5 mi) off Cape Percé, the northeastern tip of Cape Breton Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-180; CCG 770; Admiralty H0750; NGA 9156.
Low Point Light
Low Point Light, New Waterford, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

East Coast (Louisbourg Area) Lighthouses
Scatarie (3)
1981 (station established 1839). Active; focal plane 19.5 m (64 ft); white flash every 30 s. 16 m (53 ft) square pyramidal wood tower attached to a 1-story fog signal building, painted white. Fog horn (three 2 s blasts every 60 s). Two 1-1/2 story keeper's houses (1959). Anderson has several distant views, the Coastal Discovery Centre in Main-à-Dieu has a panoramic view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view of the station. This is the easternmost lighthouse in Nova Scotia and the province's tallest "pepperpot" lighthouse. The present tower replaced an 18 m (60 ft) pyramidal skeletal tower with central cylinder built in 1953. The historic double keeper's house burned in 1957. Scatarie Island, off Cape Breton, is a narrow island about 10 km (6 mi) long. Uninhabited, it is protected as a wildlife refuge and wilderness area. Located at the northeast point of Scatarie Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-451; CCG 767; Admiralty H0742; NGA 9164.
[Main-à-Dieu (3)]
1979 (station established 1871). Active; focal plane 24.5 m (81 ft); white flash every 4 s. 9 m (30 ft) fiberglass tower, painted white with two horizontal red bands. A view from the sea is available, Anderson has another view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the west point of Scatarie Island, off Cape Breton, guarding the Main-à-Dieu Passage. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-296; CCG 766; Admiralty H0744; NGA 9168.
** Louisbourg (4)
1923 (station established 1734, although inactive 1758-1842). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 10 s. 17 m (55 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Historic lenses from the lighthouse are displayed at the Louisbourg Marine Museum in Louisbourg. Fog horn (blast every 20 s). Roy Tanaka's photo appears at the top of this page, Illsley also has a fine photo, Jarvis has a photo, Anderson has a photo, a 2009 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. This is Canada's oldest light station, established by France during the period when Cape Breton Island (then called Île Royale) was a French colony. The original lighthouse was a round stone tower 16.5 m (54 ft) tall. Unfortunately it had a wooden lantern, which caught fire in September 1736 destroying the structure. A new stone tower, 17 m (56 ft) tall, replaced it in 1738. It was heavily damaged during the second British siege of Louisbourg during the Seven Years ("French and Indian") War in 1758, and it was never repaired. The third lighthouse, built under British rule in 1842, burned in 1922. Foundations of both the 1738 and 1842 lighthouses have been stabilized and preserved. The Louisbourg Lighthouse Society works for preservation of the lighthouse and has applied to own it. Located at the end of Havenside Road on the north side of the entrance to Louisbourg harbor. Parking provided. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Louisbourg Lighthouse Society. ARLHS CAN-286; CCG 756; Admiralty H3344; NGA 9204.
* Gabarus
1891. Active; focal plane 16.5 m (54 ft); continuous red light. 9.5 m (31 ft) hexagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern and gallery are red. Jarvis's photo is at right, Bash has a great 2008 photo, Illsley has a photo, Anderson has a photo, Mark Plummer has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of Harbour Point Road, off NS 327, in Gabarus. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard (?). ARLHS CAN-189; CCG 753; Admiralty H3358; NGA 9224.
* Rouse Point
1982. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); continuous yellow light. Light mounted on a short mast above the square fog signal shed. Fog horn (two 3 s blasts every 60 s). Jarvis has a good photo, Anderson has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory about 600 m (0.4 mi) northeast of the Gabarus waterfront. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-435; CCG 752.6; Admiralty H3359; NGA 9226.
Gabarus Light
Gabarus Light, Gabarus, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis
Guyon Island (3)
1964 (station established 1877). Active; focal plane 16 m (53 ft); white flash every 20 s. 13 m (43 ft) hexagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern and gallery are red. Fog horn (6 s blast every 60 s). Two small keeper's houses (1964). Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a distant satellite view. The original lighthouse was replaced in 1927 by the lighthouse seen in a historic photo from the Nova Scotia Archives. Located offshore about 11 km (7 mi) south of Louisbourg. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-219; CCG 750; Admiralty H3360; NGA 9232.

Richmond County Lighthouses

Fourchu Lighthouse
[Fourchu Head (2)]
1979 (station established 1907). Active; focal plane 14.5 m (48 ft); continuous white light. 10 m (32 ft) fiberglass tower, painted white with two narrow horizontal red bands. 1-story wood fog signal building (1956); two active fog horns (3 s blasts in unison every 30 s). Illsley has a closeup photo, Anderson has photos, Jarvis has a distant view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 10 m (33 ft) wood "pepperpot" tower. Located on the point about 18 km (11 mi) southwest of Louisbourg. Accessible by a fairly strenuous hike from the South Fourchu waterfront. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-182; CCG 747; Admiralty H3362; NGA 9236.

St. Peters Area Lighthouses
* Lower l'Ardoise (L'Ardoise Harbour) Range Front (relocated)
1909. Inactive since about 1970. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white with red trim; lantern roof is red. Bing has a satellite view. Lower l'Ardoise is a harbor at the eastern entrance to St. Peter's Bay. The lighthouse was purchased by the Morrow family and relocated to Point Michaud, about 8 km (5 mi) east of the original location. Located just off Point Michaud Road (NS 247) at the junction of Point Michaud Beach Road. Site and tower closed (private property), but the lighthouse is easy to see from the road. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1227.
Lower l'Ardoise (L'Ardoise Harbour) Range Rear
1909. Inactive since about 1970. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern. Bing has a satellite view. Critically endangered. According to Bob Crawford's 2005 report, the lighthouse is "now located in a farmer's field where it is has been used as a wood shed." It is in very poor condition. Lighthouse Explorer has Crawford's photo and report misidentified as the front range light. Located in a field at the end of Brymer Road, off NS 247 in Lower l'Ardoise. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1228.
* Jerome Point (St. Peter's Bay) (2)
1956 (station established 1883). Active; focal plane 15.5 m (51 ft); continuous red light. 10.5 m (35 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. The modern keeper's house (1956) was used after automation as the residence of the St. Peter's Canal lockmaster. Jarvis's photo is at right, Illsley has a closeup photo, Bash has a good 2008 photo, Anderson has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse is in a popular provincial park, with a campground and picnic area nearby. Located at the east side of the entrance to St. Peter's Canal from St. Peter's Bay in St. Peter's. Accessible by paved road; parking provided. Site and park open mid June to mid September, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Battery Provincial Park. ARLHS CAN-255; CCG 734; Admiralty H3380; NGA 9264.
* Cape George Harbour (St. Peter's) (2)
1950 (station established 1875). Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); white flash every 4 s. 8 m (27 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Anderson has a photo, Bill Clyne has a distant view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a distant satellite view. This is one of two Cape George Lights in Nova Scotia, the other being on the west side of St. George's Bay (see Northwestern Nova Scotia). Located on the west side of the northern entrance to St. Peter's Inlet, the southern arm of the lake leading to St. Peter's Canal. Accessible by a short walk from the parking lot of the Bras d'Or Lake Lighthouse Campground, off NS 4 in St. Peter's. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-099; CCG 840; Admiralty H0838; NGA 9060.
[Gregory Island (2)]
1950 (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); red flash every 4 s. 10.5 m (34 ft) cylindrical tower, painted white with two horizontal red bands. Anderson has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The keeper's house was sold and relocated in 1975; its present location is not known. The lighthouse was relocated a few meters southwest in 1988. Located on an island in St. Peter's Inlet. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-215; CCG 841; Admiralty H0839; NGA 9064.
River Bourgeois (Bourgeois Inlet) (3)
2004 (station established 1903). Active (privately maintained); focal plane 7.5 m (25 ft); continuous red light. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Bash has a 2008 photo, Illsley has a good photo, Anderson has photos, Jarvis has a view from the bay, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a cloudy satellite view. This lighthouse is a replica of the original 1903 tower, which was burned in 1989 after being replaced by an aluminum skeletal tower. Residents protested this destruction. In 2003 the light station was transferred to a local group, which immediately built the replica. Located at Church Point in River Bourgeois northeast of Grandique Ferry. Accessible at low tide, but access may be cut off at high tide. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: River Bourgeois Community Services Society. ARLHS CAN-056; CCG 732; Admiralty H3386; NGA 9396.
Jerome Point Light
Jerome Point Light, St. Peter's, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Isle Madame Lighthouses
Note: Isle Madame, an island about 16 km by 11 km (10 by 7 mi), is separated from the south coast of Cape Breton Island by a narrow strait, the Lennox Passage. The island has a population of about 4300 and is accessible by bridge.
* Grandique (Grand Dique) Point (2)
1907 (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 9 m (29 ft); continuous green light. 8.5 m (28 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Anderson has a photo, Illsley has a photo, Jarvis has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse, which replaced a light on a pole, marks a dangerous north-pointing spit. In 1963 it had to be moved about 15 m (49 ft) southward to escape minor beach erosion. Located on the north side of Isle Madame facing the Lennox Passage, a strait connecting St. Peter's Bay to the Strait of Canso. Accessible by a gravel road within the provincial park. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Lennox Passage Provincial Park. ARLHS CAN-208; CCG 729; Admiralty H3392; NGA 9267.
#Green Island (2)
1927 (station established 1865). Inactive since 1968. This was a 2-story square wood keeper's house, formerly with a lantern centered on the roof. It is not known when this building was demolished, but Bing's satellite view shows only the foundation. The light was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1968 and then by the current lighthouse in 1986. In 1971, the lantern was replaced by the emitter of an electronic foghorn. Keepers continued to live in the building until 1986. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard.
Green Island (4)
1986 (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); two long (2 s) flashes, separated by 2 s, every 20 s. 11.5 m (38 ft) fiberglass tower with lantern, painted white; lantern is red. 1-1/2 story keepers house and fog signal building intact. Lighthouse marks the northeastern entrance to Chedabucto Bay and the Strait of Canso. Anderson has views from the water, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a distant satellite view. This is one of two Green Island Lights in Nova Scotia, the other one being at Yarmouth (see Southern Nova Scotia). Located at the summit of a small island to the southeast of Isle Madame. Accessible only by boat; visible from Cap Rouge on Petit-de-Grat Island, which is accessible by road from Isle Madame. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-211; CCG 722; Admiralty H3376; NGA 9312.
* Marache Point (Arichat) (3)
1949 (station established 1851). Active; focal plane 10 m (34 ft); continuous white light. 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Martin Cathrae has a photo, Illsley has a good photo, Jarvis also has a good photo, Anderson has photos, a view from the sea is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This station was known as Arichat Light until 1970, when the keepers' houses were sold and removed. (It is not known if they survive.) The original lighthouse, a short tower, was replaced by a 2-story structure in 1869. Located at the southern entrance to Arichat Harbour on the south coast of Isle Madame; accessible by a short walk on a dirt road. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-303; CCG 708; Admiralty H3404; NGA 9356.
Jerseyman Island (2)
1950 (station established 1872). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); continuous red light. 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. The keeper's house was sold and removed in 1980. Jarvis has a photo, Anderson has photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located at the north end of the island, south of Isle Madame, marking the western entrance to Arichat Harbour. Accessible only by boat, although there is a view from the mainland. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-256; CCG 707; Admiralty H3406; NGA 9364.

Canso Canal Lighthouse
* Balache Point Range Rear
1963. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); continuous red light. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line; lantern is red. Jarvis's photo is at right, Anderson has a photo, Illsley has a photo, Bash has a photo, Lorne Hull also has a photo, a 2009 photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The front light is on a 6 m (20 ft) skeletal tower. The range guides vessels entering the Canso Canal; completed in 1955, the canal provides a tidal lock allowing safe navigation of the narrow Strait of Canso separating Cape Breton Island from the mainland. Located at the northern entrance to the canal, off the Trans-Canada Highway just east of the Canso Causeway. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be viewed from outside the fence. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-017; CCG 702; Admiralty H3436; NGA 8704.
Balache Point Light
Balache Point Light, Canso Canal, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennid Jarvis

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Sydney Range Rear Light
Sydney Range Front Light, Sydney, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo copyright C.W. Bash

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: South: Eastern Nova Scotia | West: Northwestern Nova Scotia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index

Posted June 2003. Checked and revised June 11, 2013. Lighthouses: 46. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.