Lighthouses of Canada: Eastern Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia is the province at the extreme southeastern corner of Canada. The southern and eastern parts of the province lie on a peninsula facing the Atlantic to the east and the Bay of Fundy to the west. To the north, the peninsula is joined to the rest of Canada by an isthmus that separates the Bay of Fundy on the south from Northumberland Strait and the Gulf of St. Lawrence on the north. Cape Breton Island lies to the northeast, separated from the main part of the province by the narrow Strait of Canso.

For its size, Nova Scotia has an extraordinarily long coastline and a very large number of lighthouses, roughly 170 in all. The Directory covers these lighthouses on five pages. This page includes lighthouses of the east coast in the counties of Guysborough and Halifax; this includes the coast from the Canso Strait in the north to St. Margaret's Bay in the south. The lighthouses of Sable Island, which is attached administratively to Halifax County, are described on a separate page.

Rip Irwin's book, Lighthouses and Lights of Nova Scotia (Halifax: Nimbus Publishing, 2011) is an essential reference for understanding these lighthouses.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008, Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010, the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses.

CCG numbers are from the Atlantic Coast volume of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society
This outstanding web site has a wealth of photos, information, and news.
Nova Scotia Canada Lighthouses
Excellent photos plus historical and visitor information from Kraig Anderson's LighthouseFriends.com web site.
Nova Scotia
Lighthouse photos from visits by C.W. Bash in 2008.
Nova Scotia Lighthouses
Fine photos by Paul Illsley.
Lighthouses in Nova Scotia
Photos available from Wikimedia; included is a large collection of photos by Dennis Jarvis (several appear on this page).
Lighthouses in Nova Scotia, Canada
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Leuchttürme an der kanadischen Ostküste
Photos of Nova Scotia lighthouses taken in 2004 by Bernd Claußen.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
List of Lights, Buoys and Fog Signals
Official Canadian light lists.


George's Island Light, Halifax, May 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Geordie Lounsbury

Isaac's Harbour Lighthouse
Isaac's Harbour Light, Isaac's Harbour, July 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Megan Adams Brooks

Guysborough County Lighthouses

Chedabucto Bay Lighthouses
#Eddy Point (4)
1988 (station established 1851). The lighthouse, a 12 m (39 ft) round fiberglass tower with lantern and gallery, was deactivated and demolished in 2003. Lorne Hull has a 1998 photo, and Bing has a satellite view of the site. Earlier lighthouses were built here in 1851, 1895, and 1929; NSLPS has a historic photo of the 1929 light station. Located on Eddy Point, at the southern entrance to the Strait of Canso from Chedabucto Bay. Site open. ARLHS CAN-167; ex-CCG 689; ex-Admiralty H3420.
* Eddy Point Range Rear
2003. Active; focal plane 26.5 m (87 ft); white flash every 4 s; also a continuous yellow light seen only along the range line. 19 m (62 ft) triangular skeletal tower carrying a trapezoidal slatted daymark painted white with a red vertical stripe. Bash has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This tower replaced the historic Eddy Point lighthouse. The range guides eastbound vessels leaving the Strait of Canso. The front range light is on a similar but shorter tower. Located about 500 m (0.4 mi) south of the former Eddy Point lighthouse. Site status unknown, but the light can be seen from the end of Eddy Light Road. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. CCG 689.4; Admiralty H3421.1; NGA 9420.
[Guysborough (3)]
1981 (station established 1846). Inactive since the late 1990s. 9 m (30 ft) round fiberglass tower, painted white with two narrow red horizontal bands. Jordan Crowe has a closeup photo, but trees hide the tower in Bing's satellite view. Michel Forand has a historic photo of the second (1905) lighthouse, a 2-story wood keeper's house with a lantern on the roof. Located on private property on the southwest side of the entrance to Guysborough Harbour. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1217.
Queensport (Rock Island) (2)
1937 (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 16.5 m (54 ft); white flash every 4 s. 12.5 m (41 ft): lantern and gallery mounted on the center of the roof of 2-story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern and roof are red. Jarvis's photo is at right, Ron Pettitt has a photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Anderson has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Apparently a sibling of Isaac's Harbour Light. In 1991, the Dept. of Transportation announced its intention to dismantle the lighthouse, triggering local efforts to save and restore it. The Municipality of Guysborough painted and restored the exterior of the building. The site is now managed by a local foundation, Keepers of the Beacon. The Keepers also operate the Out of the Fog Lighthouse Museum in Guysborough, where artifacts from the lighthouse are on display. Located on Rook Island, a small island in Chedabucto Bay between Guysborough and Canso. Accessible only by boat, but visible from a popular picnic area on NS 16. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Keepers of the Beacon. ARLHS CAN-425; CCG 683; Admiralty H3456; NGA 9492.
Queensport Light
Queensport (Rock Island) Light, Queensport, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Canso Area Lighthouses
Canso Harbour (Hart Island) (2)
1929 (station established 1872). Inactive since the 1960s. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical wood tower attached to a 1-story wood fog signal building. Lantern removed. Building painted white; the roof is red. Jarvis has a photo, Anderson has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was replaced by the small beacons of the Hart Island Range (CCG 679/679.1); both can be seen in Jarvis's photo. Located on Hart Island marking the northern entrance to Canso's harbor, about 800 m (1/2 mi) northeast of the town's waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1366.
* Canso Range Front
1905. Active; focal plane 10 m (34 ft); continuous yellow light. 8.5 m (28 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. The lantern of this lighthouse was removed many years ago, but Anderson's photo shows that it has been replaced recently. Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located off the east end of Union Street in Canso. Site and tower closed (private property), but accessible by permission and easily visible. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-634; CCG 672; Admiralty H3460; NGA 9528.
* Canso Range Rear
1905. Active; focal plane 28.5 m (94 ft); continuous yellow light. 17 m (56 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line; the lantern roof is also red. Bash's 2008 photo is at right, a closeup photo is available, Anderson has photos, Jarvis has a photo, Marinas.com has excellent aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located 384 m (1260 ft) west of the front light, behind the Eastern Memorial Hospital in Canso. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-077; CCG 673; Admiralty H3460.1; NGA 9532.
Cranberry Island South (Canso Harbour) (3)
1978 (station established 1929). Active; focal plane 17 m (55 ft); white flash every 15 s. 14.5 m (48 ft) square concrete tower attached to a fog signal building. Two fog horns (2 blasts every 60 s, sounding in unison). 2-story wood keeper's house in poor condition. Anderson has distant views, Jarvis also has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. A light station, the first in the Canso area, was established at the north end of the island in 1818, and there were several towers at that location before the light was brought to the south end in 1929. The 1929 lighthouse, a 2-story keeper's house with lantern centered on the roof, was replaced in 1971 with a skeletal tower with square central cylinder. In 1977, that tower was relocated to Jeddore Rock (see below). The station was inactive for a short time in 1977-78 while the present lighthouse was built. Located at the south end of Cranberry Island about 3 km (2 mi) east of Cape Canso, marking the southern entrance to Chedabucto Bay. Accessible only by boat; visible from the foot of Union Street in Canso. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-153; CCG 668; Admiralty H3458; NGA 9540.
Canso Range Rear Light
Canso Range Rear Light, Canso, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash

Tor Bay Area Lighthouses
White Head Island (Whitehaven Harbour) (4)
1978 (station established 1854). Active; focal plane 18 m (60 ft); white flash every 5 s. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story fog-signal building. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). The 1-story keeper's house appears to be intact. Anderson has a view from the water, NSLPS also has a distant photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This is one of two Whitehead Island lighthouses in Nova Scotia; the other one is in Argyle Bay near Pubnico (see the Southern Nova Scotia page). The original lighthouse was replaced in 1934, by a fiberglass tower in 1970, and then by the present tower in 1978. Located on the southwest side of the island off Whitehead Harbour. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-532; CCG 659; Admiralty H3474; NGA 9584.
[Hog Island (Port Felix) (2)]
1988 (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 10.5 m (35 ft); white flash every 4 s. 9 m (30 ft) cylindrical tower, painted white with two narrow horizontal red bands. Fog horn (2 s blast every 20 s). Bing has a satellite view. The historic lighthouse, a 2-story keeper's house with lantern on the roof, was destroyed about 1980. A helipad occupies its former foundation. No photo of the current light is available. Located on the east end of the island in Tor Bay. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-228; CCG 654; Admiralty H3478; NGA 9596.
* Charlos Harbour Range Rear
1901. Inactive since 1988. Approx. 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white with red trim. The former front range light has been destroyed. Anderson has photos, Bash has a photo taken in July 2008, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Bash reported that the lighthouse had been relocated recently; the current location is on NS 316 at the west end of the village of Charlos Cove, near the church. Located on highway NS 316 in Charlos Cove. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-637.
Berry Head (3)
1985 (station established 1876). Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); continuous white light. 5.5 m (19 ft) square tower with lantern rising from a small wood fog signal building, painted white. Fog horn (3 blasts every 60 s). Foundation ruins of the original lighthouse, replaced in 1951, are next to the modern light. Geocaching.com has several photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a headland at the western entrance to Tor Bay; accessible from the town by a hiking trail. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-033; CCG 646; Admiralty H3484; NGA 9628.

Port Bickerton Area Lighthouses
Country Island (3)
1965 (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 16.5 m (54 ft); white light, one long (2 s) flash every 20 s. 13.5 m (45 ft) octagonal concrete tower, painted white; lantern is red. The keeper's houses were demolished in 2004. Allison Manthorne's photo is at right, a closeup photo of unknown date is available, Anderson has the same photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was replaced in 1927 by a 2-story keeper's house with lantern centered on the roof. The island, an important bird nesting area, is managed by the Canadian Wildlife Service and is closed to the public. Located on the south side of the island about 7 km (4.5 mi) southeast of Seal Harbour. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-752; CCG 639; Admiralty H3504; NGA 9648.
Country Island Light
Thunderstorm threatening Country Island Light, May 2007
Flickr photo copyright Allison Manthorne; used by permission
* Isaac's Harbour (2)
1929 (station established 1874). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); continuous white light. 13 m (42 ft): lantern and gallery centered on the roof of a 2-story wood keeper's house. The Coast Guard proposed to demolish the lighthouse in 1990, but it was saved after being listed as a federal heritage building. Lighthouse painted white; lantern and roof are red. Megan Adams Brooks's photo is at the top of this page, Illsley has a fine photo, Jarvis has a photo, Bash has a 2008 view, Anderson has a closeup photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of Isaac's Harbour Road, off NS 316 south of Isaac's Harbour; Anderson found that the road was gated 600 m (0.4 mi) from the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-251; CCG 637; Admiralty H3510; NGA 9660.
#Fisherman's Harbour (1)
1905. Inactive since 2011, when the lighthouse was demolished. This was a 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Anderson has a photo, Jarvis has a 2010 photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Illsley has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Much to the horror of Canadian lighthouse fans, the Coast Guard demolished this lighthouse without warning in 2011. The Coast Guard claimed it had "formal discussions with the [Fisherman's] Harbour Authority" but local residents are certain this is not the case. The lighthouse was replaced with a light (focal plane 7 m (23 ft); green flash every 4 s) on a short skeletal mast. Located on a sand spit off the waterfront in Fisherman's Harbour. Accessible only by boat (portions of the spit are covered by water), but visible from the waterfront. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-177; CCG 634; Admiralty H3512; NGA 9664.
**** Port Bickerton (2)
1930 (station established 1901). Inactive since 1963. 13 m (42 ft): lantern and gallery centered on the roof of 2-story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; roofs are red. Ron Dunnington's photo is at right, another good closeup is available, Anderson has photos, Bash has a 2008 photo, Illsley has a photo of both lighthouses, Jarvis has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. The original lighthouse here was a 7m (23 ft) pepperpot tower. The 1930 building was stripped of its lantern in 1963 but remained in use as the keeper's house until 1988, when it was converted to be the office of a biological research project. In the mid 1990s this station closed, and the lighthouse was fully restored, with a new lantern, by the Port Bickerton and Area Planning Commission. It was opened as a lighthouse museum in June 1997. Located off NS 211 in Port Bickerton. Site open; museum and tower open daily from mid June through September (admission fee). Owner: Municipality of the District of St. Mary's. Site manager: Nova Scotia Lighthouse Interpretive Centre . ARLHS CAN-1286.
* Port Bickerton (3)
1963 (station established 1901). Active; focal plane 20.5 m (67 ft); white light, 4 s on, 4 s off. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story wood fog signal building. Lighthouse covered with white siding; lantern painted red. Fog horn (2 blasts every 60 s). Anderson has a photo, Jarvis's photo is at the bottom of this page, Bash has a 2008 photo, another photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. In 2012, the St. Mary's Council requested ownership of the lighthouse, and the property was transferred to the municipality on 15 June 2013. Located adjacent to the 1930 lighthouse, off NS 211 in Port Bickerton. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Canadian Coast Guard. Owner: Municipality of the District of St. Mary's. Site manager: Nova Scotia Lighthouse Interpretive Centre. ARLHS CAN-404; CCG 629; Admiralty H3514; NGA 9684.
Liscomb Island (2)
1921 (station established 1872). Active; focal plane 21.5 m (72 ft); white flash every 10 s. 14 m (45 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). Marinas.com has aerial photos, the Degree Confluence Project has a nice photo taken from the water, another photo (3/4 the way down the page) is available, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on Cranberry Point, on the southwest side of the island, marking the entrance to Liscomb Harbour. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-277; CCG 615; Admiralty H3526; NGA 9736.
Port Bickerton Light
1930 Port Bickerton Light, May 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ron Dunnington

Halifax County Lighthouses

Sheet Harbour Area Lighthouses
Beaver Island (3)
1985 (station established 1847). Active; focal plane 20 m (65 ft); white flash every 7 s. 11.5 m (38 ft) round fiberglass tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is white; lantern painted red. 1-story fog signal building. Fog horn (6 s blast every 60 s). A 2012 photo (2/3 the way down the page) is available, and Bing has a distant satellite view of the station. The original lighthouse was replaced in 1954. Located 10 km (6 mi) offshore between Sheet Harbour and Port Dufferin. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-028; CCG 602; Admiralty H3534; NGA 9772.
* Sheet Harbour Passage Range Front
1915. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); continuous white light. 8 m (27 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line; lantern also painted red. Bash's photo is at right, Illsley has a fine photo, Jarvis has a great closeup, and Anderson has photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located off Back Cove Road in Sheet Harbour Passage. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-456; CCG 598; Admiralty H3542; NGA 9784.
* Sheet Harbour Passage Range Rear
1915. Active; focal plane 20 m (65 ft); continuous white light. 9 m (29 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line; lantern also painted red. Anderson has a photo, Jarvis has a photo, and Illsley has a closeup, and Bing has a satellite view. Located off Passage Road in Sheet Harbour Passage. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-612; CCG 599; Admiralty H3542.1; NGA 9788.
[Sheet Rock (3)]
1988 (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 23.5 m (77 ft); white flash every 4 s. 9 m (30 ft) round fiberglass tower, painted white with two horizontal red bands. Randall Holman has a photo, another photo (a little over halfway down the page) is available, Anderson has a view from the sea, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was replaced in 1936 by a 2-story keeper's house with lantern centered on the roof; foundation ruins of that lighthouse are visible in the aerial photos. Located on a small island in the entrance to Sheet Harbour. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-457; CCG 594; Admiralty H3541; NGA 9778.
Sheet Harbour Range Front Light
Range Front Light, Sheet Harbour Passage, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash
Spry Bay Sector (Range Front)
1916. Active; focal plane 23 m (76 ft); continuous lights, white for the channel, red to the east and green to the west. 7.5 m (25 ft) tower, painted white. Anderson has photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. This light was originally the front light of the Spry Bay Range. The rear light was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1970 and then discontinued in 1987, when the front light was converted to a sector light. Located near the eastern entrance to Spry Harbour. Accessible by hiking a power line easement from the end of a gravel road off NS 7 about 1.3 km (0.8 mi) east of Spry Bay. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-474; CCG 591; Admiralty H3557; NGA 9814.
[Ship Harbour (Wolfes Island)]
Date unknown (station established 1895). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); green light, 2 s on, 10 s off. 6 m (20 ft) triangular skeletal tower. No photo available, but Linda Fahie has contributed photos of two former lighthouses at this station. Bing's satellite view shows foundation ruins of the station. Located on Wolfes Point at the northeastern corner of Wolfes Island, marking the entrance to Ship Harbour. Accessible only by boat. Site open. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1288; CCG 585; Admiralty H3564; NGA 9820.
[Owl's Head (2)]
1960s (station established 1912). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white flash every 4 s. 9.5 m (31 ft) skeletal mast. A photo (halfway down the page) is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse, with a lantern and gallery centered on the roof of a 2-story wood keeper's house, was deactivated in the late 1960s. It was reported in use as a private summer residence, but both the photo and the satellite view show that it does not survive. Located on a sharp promontory at the entrance to Ship Harbour. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1282; CCG 583; Admiralty H3566; NGA 9824.
Egg Island (2)
1962 (station established 1865). Active; focal plane 25.5 m (84 ft); white flash every 15 s. 14.5 m (48 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with an enclosed square central cylinder, all painted white; very similar to the Jeddore Rock Light shown at right. The lantern was removed in 1970; the solar-powered light is displayed from a short skeletal mast at one corner of the gallery. A photo (halfway down the page) is available, and Bing has a satellite view. NSLPS has a 1930s photo of the original lighthouse, an octagonal wood tower; it was replaced after being heavily damaged by fire. Located atop a rocky island about 8 km (5 mi) southeast of Owl's Head. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-168; CCG 580: Admiralty H3568; NGA 9836.

Halifax Harbour and Sambro Area Lighthouses
Jeddore Rock (3)
1971 (relocated from Cranberry Island in 1977; this station established 1881). Active; focal plane 29 m (96 ft); white light, 2 s on, 10 s off. 16 m (52 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with enclosed square central cylinder, all painted white. A photo is at right, another photo (almost halfway down the page) is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Rip Irwin found the roof of the lantern of the original lighthouse lying on the ground where it had been discarded. Located atop a rocky islet about 6 km (4 mi) southeast of French Point. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-254; CCG 570; Admiralty H3570; NGA 9848.
Jeddore Rock Light
Jeddore Rock Light
Fisheries and Ocean Canada photo
* French Point (Pleasant Point, Musquodoboit Harbour Range Rear)
1904. Active; focal plane 14 m (47 ft); continuous red light. 9.5 m (31 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square cylindrical base. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is red. Lighthouse Explorer has Dana Rushton's photo, a 2009 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Formerly the rear light of a range, the lighthouse is now located on the grounds of a bed and breakfast inn. Anderson found it to be deteriorating. Google also has a satellite view of the front range light, a small pyramidal wood tower on a square platform about 1200 m (3/4 mi) south of the rear light in the harbor entrance. Located on Kent Road in Musquodoboit Harbour, east of Halifax. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Seaview Fisherman's Bed & Breakfast. ARLHS CAN-334; CCG 569; Admiralty H3579; NGA 9852.
Devil's Island (Devil's Island East)
1877. Apparently inactive, although listed by NGA with focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 10 s. 14 m (46 ft) octagonal wood tower, painted white; the lantern was removed in 1978, and the light was then displayed from a short mast atop the tower. 2-story wood keeper's house in ruins. Anderson has a photo, a 2012 photo (1/3 the way down the page) is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The Devil's Island West Light, established in 1852 and deactivated in 1958, was only 160 m (175 yd) southwest. Dorothy York has posted historic photos of both the east and west lights. Endangered: the light was removed from the tower early in 2009. Local residents protested its removal and petitioned the Coast Guard to take steps to preserve the deteriorating lighthouse. Although there is a light mounted on the tower in the 2012 photo, the CCG list currently has only the nearby skeletal tower. Located on the southeast side of the island marking the eastern approach to Halifax Harbour. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-158; CCG 545; Admiralty H3596; NGA 9892.
French Point Light
French Point Light, Musquodoboit Harbour, July 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis
* Maugher Beach (McNabs Island) (2)
1941 (station established 1828). Active; focal plane 17 m (57 ft); yellow flash every 30 s. 17.5 m (58 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; the lantern is painted red. The keeper's house was demolished in 1987. The name is pronounced "Major Beach." Kenneth Zirkel has a photo, Anderson has photos, Lorne Hull has photos, Jarvis has a view across the harbor, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse is the major landmark for ships arriving in Halifax. Friends of McNab's Island supports preservation of the area, which includes the historic Fort McNab. The original light was placed atop the Sherbrooke Tower, a Martello defensive work; Huelse has a postcard view. The Sherbrooke Tower was demolished in 1944. Located on an islet off the west side of McNab's Island, in the center of the entrance to the harbor; the islet is connected to McNabs Island by a long pier. Accessible by passenger ferry from Dartmouth. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parks Canada (Fort McNab National Historic Site.) ARLHS CAN-308; CCG 527; Admiralty H3607; NGA 9932.
Halifax Harbour Inner Range Front (George's Island) (3)
1919 (station established 1876). Active; focal plane 17.5 m (58 ft); continuous white light. 16 m (54 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line; the lantern roof is red. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). Oil house. Geordie Lounsbury's photo is at the top of this page, Bash has a 2008 photo, Anderson has several photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the second lighthouse, which was built in 1903 and destroyed by fire in 1917. The island is the site of historic fortifications, which are being restored; the island will then be open to the public. Located on the west side of George's Island opposite downtown Halifax. Accessible only by boat, but visible from the Halifax waterfront (Irwin says the best view is from Pier 21). Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Parks Canada (George's Island National Historic Site). ARLHS CAN-193; CCG 538; Admiralty H3618; NGA 9944.
* #[Chebucto Head (2)]
1940 (station established 1872). Inactive since 1967. 2-story square wood keeper's house, originally with lantern centered on the roof. The house remained in service as the keeper's residence until the 1960s. In 2004, the Chebucto Head Lighthouse Society leased the building from the Coast Guard for preservation and restoration. Tragically, it was destroyed by fire less than two weeks later, on 24 May 2004. Ron Dunnington has a June 2008 photo of the ruins, which appear to be untouched since the fire. The Society initially hoped to reconstruct the lighthouse, but this effort has been abandoned. The ruins are below the surviving lighthouse in Bing's satellite view. Site open. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Chebucto Head Lighthouse Society. ARLHS CAN-1383.
* Chebucto Head (3)
1967 (station established 1872). Active; focal plane 49 m (162 ft); white flash every 20 s. 14 m (45 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; the lantern is painted red. Fog horn (2 blasts every 60 s). C.M. Hanchey's photo is at right, Anderson has photos, Illsley has a closeup, Chris Campbell has a good photo, Jarvis has a distant view, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Chebucto Head is the west entrance to Halifax Harbour. Located atop a cliff at the end of Duncan's Cove Road off NS 349. Parking provided. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-133; CCG 513; Admiralty H3600; NGA 9904.

Chebucto Head Light, Duncans Cove, August 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.M. Hanchey
Sambro
1758. Active; focal plane 43 m (142 ft); white flash every 5 s. 25 m (82 ft) octagonal stone tower, faced with wood shingles, with lantern and gallery; DCB-36 aerobeacon. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern is red. Fog horn (three 2 s blasts every 60 s). The magnificent 1st order Fresnel lens used from 1906 to 1968 is on display at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax. The keeper's houses, long in poor condition, burned in 2008. A 1-story oil house survives. Jarvis's photo is at right, Anderson has several fine photos, the Lighthouse Explorer Database has a photo by Chris Mills, a 2007 photo is available, Wikimedia has additional photos by Jarvis and others, Marinas.com has excellent aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. This is the oldest lighthouse in the Americas and one of the most famous and important light stations in Canada. The tower was extended 6.5 m (22 ft) in 1906. There was a major restoration in 1998; Lighthouse Digest also has an article on this work. In September 2003 Sambro took a direct hit from Hurricane Juan. The oil house was undermined and the storm surge came within a few feet of the tower and keeper's house. Preservation efforts are continuing, but in late 2005 the Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society expressed serious concern about the condition of the station. In 2007 the Coast Guard announced it could no longer rely on the underwater power cable to the lighthouse; the light was converted to solar power and the foghorn was deactivated. In November, the Nova Scotia legislature passed a resolution censuring the Coast Guard for its "careless disregard" of the station and the nation's maritime heritage. In response to this and other criticism, a larger solar power system was installed in early 2008 and the foghorn was reactivated. On 14 September 2008, the keeper's house was destroyed by fire, probably set by vandals. In 2014 there was incresing concern about the condition of the lighthouse, and bills were introduced in Parliament to save it under management of Parks Canada. Located on Sambro Island about 3 km (2 mi) off the mouth of Halifax Harbour. Site and tower closed, although the lighthouse can be seen on boat tours from Ketch Harbour. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-442; CCG 507; Admiralty H3632; NGA 9968.
* Sambro Harbour
1899. Active; focal plane 10.5 m (34 ft); continuous green light. 8 m (27 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with gallery, painted white with a red band at the top. The lantern was removed in 1971. Illsley has a closeup photo, Jarvis has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of Bull Point Road, off NS 349 in Sambro. Accessible by a short walk from parking provided at the end of the road. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-441; CCG 505; Admiralty H3644; NGA 9980.
Sambro Light
Sambro Light, August 2010
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis
* Pennant Harbour (Pennant Point) (2)
1991 (station established 1903). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous green light. 8 m (27 ft) fiberglass tower, painted white. No lantern. Jarvis has a closeup photo, Lighthouse Explorer has a photo by Bob Crawford, and Bing has a satellite view. The original light was a standard "pepperpot" wood tower. Located at the end of a dirt road off NS 349 (West Pennant Road) in Pennant. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-373; CCG 501; Admiralty H3646; NGA 9996.

St. Margaret's Bay Area Lighthouses
* Terence Bay (2)
1903 (station established 1885). Active; focal plane 14.5 m (48 ft); continuous red light. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with gallery, painted white with red trim. The lantern was removed in 1980. Jarvis has a 2008 photo, Illsley has a closeup, a 1999 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Area landowners who built houses in the area during the 1990s sought to block public access to the light station, so the Terence Bay Lighthouse Committee was formed to re-establish the historic right of access. The lighthouse took some damage during Hurricane Juan in September 2003, losing some of its shingles. In 2011, the committee was working to acquire title to the lighthouse and perhaps restore the lantern. Located on a dramatic rocky headland beyond the end of Sandy Cove Road in Terence Bay. Accessible by walking a gravel path through a residential area; take care to avoid private property. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-495; CCG 498; Admiralty H3650; NGA 10004.
Betty Island (3)
1981 (station established 1875). Active; focal plane 19 m (63 ft); white light, 4 s on, 11 s off. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern painted red. Fog horn (6 s blast every 60 s). Anderson has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse replaced the 1939 lighthouse, a 2-story keeper's house with lantern centered on the roof; that building was demolished in 1986, but foundation ruins remain. Located on an island off Prospect Bay. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-034; CCG 495; Admiralty H3652; NGA 10016.
*** Peggy's Point (Peggy's Cove) (2)
1915 (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); continuous green light. 13 m (43 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern painted red. A 2010 photo is at right, Bash also has a 2008 photo, Anderson has photos, Illsley has a great photo, Wikimedia has many photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Although there are many similar lighthouses in eastern Canada, this is a genuine star: one of the world's most visited and most photographed lighthouses. The site is certainly very picturesque, and from 1978 to 2009 the base of the tower was occupied during the summer by a small post office, very convenient for visitors sending postcards. It has always been named the Peggy's Point Light officially, although it is much better known as Peggy's Cove, the name of the nearby village. In early 2009 there was a brief controversy when Fisheries and Oceans stated it did not have funds to repaint the lighthouse. After a public outcry, contractors were hired to paint the tower in July; David Carter has a photo taken during this project. In 2012 the lighthouse was again in need to paint and repairs, and this time there was no agreement on who should provide the funds. Located on a rocky headland at the end of Peggy's Point Road in Peggy's Cove; although a large parking lot is provided, conditions can be crowded in midsummer. Site open, lower level of the tower open during the summer. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-369; CCG 487; Admiralty H3660; NGA 10040.
Indian Harbour (Paddy's Head)
1901. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); continuous white light. 10 m (33 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. Illsley has a closeup photo, Jarvis has a winter 2008 photo, NSLPS has a closeup, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on St. Margaret's Bay beyond the end of Paddy's Head Road at Indian Harbour. Visible from NS 333, but accessible only by a rather strenuous walk. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-247; CCG 482; Admiralty H3663; NGA 10060.
Peggy's Point Light
Peggy's Point (Peggy's Cove) Light, June 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by jennyrotten

Information available on lost lighthouses:

New Port Bickerton Light
New (1963) Port Bickerton Light, July 2008
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Adjoining pages: North: Cape Breton Island | South: Southern Nova Scotia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index

Posted June 2003. Checked and revised June 21, 2014. Lighthouses: 34. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.