Lighthouses of Canada: Western Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia is the province at the extreme southeastern corner of Canada. The southern and eastern parts of the province lie on a peninsula facing the Atlantic to the east and the Bay of Fundy to the west. To the north, the peninsula is joined to the rest of Canada by an isthmus that separates the Bay of Fundy on the south from Northumberland Strait and the Gulf of St. Lawrence on the north. Cape Breton Island lies to the northeast, separated from the main part of the province by the narrow Strait of Canso.

For its size, Nova Scotia has an extraordinarily long coastline and a very large number of lighthouses, roughly 170 in all. The Directory covers these lighthouses on five pages. This page lists lighthouses of the west coast of the peninsula, which faces the Bay of Fundy in the counties of Digby, Annapolis, Kings, Hants, Colchester, and Cumberland. (Colchester and Cumberland County lighthouses on the Strait of Northumberland are listed on the Northwestern Nova Scotia page.)

Rip Irwin's book, Lighthouses and Lights of Nova Scotia (Halifax: Nimbus Publishing, 2011) is an essential reference for understanding these lighthouses.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008, Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010, the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses.

CCG numbers are from the Atlantic Coast volume of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110.

General Sources
Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society
This outstanding web site has a wealth of photos, information, and news.
Nova Scotia Canada Lighthouses
Excellent photos plus historical and visitor information from Kraig Anderson's LighthouseFriends.com web site.
Lighthouses in Nova Scotia, Canada
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Nova Scotia
Lighthouse photos from visits by C.W. Bash in 2008.
Nova Scotia Lighthouses
Fine photos by Paul Illsley.
Lighthouses in Nova Scotia
Photos available from Wikimedia; included is a large collection of photos by Dennis Jarvis (several appear on this page).
Leuchttürme an der kanadischen Ostküste
Photos of Nova Scotia lighthouses taken in 2004 by Bernd Claußen.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.
List of Lights, Buoys and Fog Signals
Official Canadian light lists.

Gilbert's Cove Light
Gilbert's Cove Light, Gilbert's Cove, December 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by walknboston

Digby County Lighthouses

St. Mary's Bay Lighthouses
* Cape St. Mary's (Cap Sainte-Marie) (2)
1969 (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 31.5 m (104 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8.5 m (28 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a corner of a 1-story square fog signal building. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Fog horn (4 s blast every 60 s). Illsley has a closeup, Lighthouse Explorer has Bob Crawford's photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse here was a 13 m (43 ft) octagonal wood tower. Located at the end of Cape St. Mary's Road off NS 1 in Mavillette, marking the east side of the entrance to St. Mary's Bay. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-111; CCG 241; Admiralty H3848; NGA 10792.
#Church Point (Pointe de l'Église)
1874. Inactive since 1984; destroyed in 2014. This was a 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white with red trim; the lantern was red. The keeper's cottage, formerly attached, was demolished in 1953. A 2008 photo is available, Illsley has a closeup, Huelse has a historic postcard view showing the attached keeper's house, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse had been endangered by lack of maintenance. After it was deactivated the lighthouse was transferred to the Université Sainte-Anne, Nova Scotia's only French-language university. Some restoration work was done, but much more needed to be done. The lighthouse was destroyed by hurricane-force winds in the nor'easter of 27 March 2014. Formerly located at the end of the Chemin du Phare off NS 1 in Pointe de l'Église (Church Point). Site open. Site manager: Université Sainte-Anne. ARLHS CAN-138.
* Belliveau Cove
1889. Reactivated (inactive 1970s-1993, now privately maintained); focal plane 6 m (20 ft); white light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 6.5 m (21 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Jarvis's photo is at right, Illsley has a closeup photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The light was deactivated in the early 1970s; in recent years local residents have provided funds to restore and reactivate it as a private aid. The wharf and lighthouse are located in Joseph and Marie Dugas Municipal Park. Located at the end of the wharf at L'Anse-des-Belliveau (Belliveau Cove), off NS 1. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Municipality of L'Anse-des-Belliveau. ARLHS CAN-030; CCG 234; Admiralty H3859.
**** Gilbert's Cove (Gilbert Point)
1904. Inactive since 1975. 11.5 m (38 ft) square cylindrical wood tower with lantern and gallery, centered on the roof of a 2-story wood keeper's house. Building painted white with red trim. A photo is at the top of this page, Jarvis has an excellent photo, Ron Pettitt has a 2008 closeup, Illsley has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, NSLPS also has a page on the light station, and Google has a satellite view and a very distant satellite view. The abandoned lighthouse was restored in the 1980s by local efforts. The preservation group operates a small museum, gift shop, and tea room in the lighthouse. Located at the end of Lighthouse Road, on the west side of the entrance to Gilbert's Cove. Site and tower open daily mid June through mid September (free, donations welcome). Accessible by road; parking provided. Site manager: Gilbert Cove and District Historical Society. ARLHS CAN-200.
Belliveau Cove Light
Belliveau Cove Light, L'Anse-des-Belliveau, July 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Brier Island and Long Island Lighthouses
Note: The southwestern shore of Nova Scotia features North Mountain, a long ridge that extends through the Digby Neck peninsula and continues as Long Island and Brier Island. The two islands are separated by a strait called the Grand Passage, while Long Island is separated from Digby Neck by the Petit Passage. Long Island is about 15 km (9 mi) long, and Brier Island is about 7.5 km (4.5 mi) long. Ferries cross both straits to connect the islands to the mainland, and NS 217 runs the lengths of both islands.
* Boar's Head (2)
1957 (station established 1864). Active; focal plane 18 m (60 ft); white flash every 5 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Fog horn (three 2 s blasts every 60 s). Ron Pettitt has a good 2007 photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Illsley has a closeup, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The light marks the northern entrance to the Petit Passage between Long Island and the mainland. In September 2009, Fisheries and Oceans crews carried out a $216,000 cleanup of soil around the lighthouse contaminated by lead paint chips. The Tiverton and Central Grove Heritage Association expressed interest in acquiring the lighthouse after completion of the cleanup. Located at the northeastern end of Long Island, at the end of a road leading from the ferry terminal; a short walk is needed from a gate on the road. The island is accessible by ferries on NS 217 from Digby Neck. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-047; CCG 216; Admiralty H3884; NGA 10880.
* Grand Passage (2)
1968 (station established 1901). Active; focal plane 14.5 m (47 ft); white flash every 10 s. 8.5 m (28 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a corner of a 1-story square fog signal building. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). Illsley has a closeup, Jarvis has a 2009 photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, NSLPS has Kathy Brown's photo, another good photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The light marks the northwestern entrance into the Grand Passage, which separates Brier Island from Long Island. Located at the north point of Brier Island, at the end of a gravel road off Water Street in Westport. The island is accessible by ferries on NS 217 from Digby Neck. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-206; CCG 221; Admiralty H3874; NGA 10852.
Peter Island (Westport) (2)
1909 (station established 1850). Active; focal plane 17.5 m (58 ft); yellow flash every 5 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) octagonal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Fog horn (2 s blast every 20 s). Illsley has a good photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Jeremy Cline has a view from the mainland of Brier Island, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. Jarvis's 2009 photo shows the lighthouse in urgent need of paint. Located on an island just off Westport, the principal town of Brier Island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-374; CCG 227; Admiralty H3878; NGA 10872.
* Brier Island (Western Point) (3)
1944 (station established 1809). Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); three white flashes every 18 s. 18 m (60 ft) octagonal pyramidal concrete tower with flared top, lantern and gallery, painted with horizontal red and white bands; lantern is red. Fog horn (two 3 s blasts every 60 s). Jarvis's photo is at right, Illsley has a closeup, another good closeup is available, Wikimedia has several photos, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a very fuzzy satellite view of the station. The oldest light station of southwestern Nova Scotia, this light marks a severe tide rip at the southern entrance to the Bay of Fundy. The original wood lighthouse was so poorly constructed it had to be rebuilt around 1830; the replacement stood until it burned in 1944. The light station is a popular site for whale watching. Located at the western point of the island (and the westernmost point of Nova Scotia), at the end of a gravel road off Wellington Street on Brier Island. Parking provided (there's a short uphill walk to the lighthouse). The island is accessible by ferries on NS 217 from Digby Neck. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-059; CCG 223; Admiralty H3872; NGA 10844.
Brier Island Light
Brier Island Light, Brier Island, August 2009
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Digby Area Lighthouses
Note: The next several lighthouses guide vessels in the Annapolis Basin, a 25 km (15 mi) long inlet separated from the Bay of Fundy by North Mountain. The Digby Gut connects the Bay of Fundy to the Annapolis Basin through a gap in the mountain range.
* Point Prim (Prim Point) (3)
1964 (station established 1817). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the northeast corner of a 1-story square fog signal building. Tower painted with vertical red and white stripes; lantern is red. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). Doug Kerr's photo is at right, Jarvis has a 2010 closeup photo, Ron Pettitt has a good 2007 photo, another good photo is available, Illsley has a closeup, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. A webcam shows the view from the lighthouse. The first lighthouse burned in March 1873. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the second (1874) lighthouse, demolished in 1964 by bulldozing it over the cliff. (Note: there is also a Point Prim lighthouse in Prince Edward Island.) A support group, the Friends of Point Prim, repainted the lighthouse in 2014 and installed a new parking area and trail system. The lighthouse stands on the south side of the entrance to Digby Gut, an opening in the Digby Neck ridge that leads to the Annapolis Basin. There's a good view from ferries sailing between Digby and St. John, New Brunswick. Located at the end of Lighthouse Road, off NS 303 northwest of Digby. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Friends of Point Prim . ARLHS CAN-391; CCG 201; Admiralty H3890; NGA 10908.
[Digby Wharf]
1903. Inactive. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. This lighthouse was relocated in the 1970s from the ferry wharf at Digby to St. John, New Brunswick; a photo of the lighthouse at St. John is available. City officials in Digby mounted a campaign to get it back. In September 2012, the cities of St. John and Digby reached agreement to move the lighthouse back home, and the following month the lighthouse was shipped by ferry across the Bay of Fundy. The lighthouse will be restored and placed on display on a new breakwater being built just north of the ferry wharf. Construction on the breakwater was delayed, with completion pushed back to spring or summer 2014. Site manager: Port of Digby. ARLHS CAN-725.
* Bear River (Winchester Point)
1905. Inactive since 2001. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower, painted white. Jarvis has a 2009 photo, Illsley has a closeup, Bash has a 2008 photo, a 2009 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This light marks the entrance to the Bear River, which here forms the border between Digby and Annapolis Counties. Local volunteers of the Bear River Lighthouse Society have worked to maintain the lighthouse and a trail that provides access to it. In December 2009, the Digby municipal council agreed to take ownership of the lighthouse, with the Society to manage it. The Society plans to restore and possibly reactivate the lighthouse. Located at the end of a dirt road off exit 24 of NS 101, southeast of Digby. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Town of Digby. Site manager: Bear River Lighthouse Society. ARLHS CAN-027; ex-CCG 208; ex-Admiralty H3904; NGA 10932.
Prim Point Light
Prim Point Light, Digby, September 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Doug Kerr

Annapolis County Lighthouses

Annapolis Area Lighthouses
* Annapolis (Annapolis Royal)
1889. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); continuous red light. 8.5 m (28 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. The lighthouse is used as a visitor center for the historic town, founded by the French in 1630. Bash's 2008 photo is at right, a 2009 photo is available, Illsley has a closeup, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of St. George Street (NS 8) on the waterfront of Annapolis Royal. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-013; CCG 211; Admiralty H3908; NGA 10944.
* Schafner's Point (Port Royal)
1885. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); continuous white light. 11 m (36 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Illsley has a closeup, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse is a short distance west of the Port Royal National Historic Site, the location of the first French settlement in Canada (1605). Located off Granville Road just west of Port Royal and about 15 km (9 mi) southwest of Annapolis Royal. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-452; CCG 210; Admiralty H3906; NGA 10940.
* Victoria Beach
1901. Active; focal plane 16 m (54 ft); green light, 6 s on, 4 s off. 8 m (26 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. Illsley has a closeup, Scott Baljes also has a closeup, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the east side of Digby Gut at the end of Granville Road. Easily visible from the road, but it may be necessary to cross private property to actually reach the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-511; CCG 203; Admiralty H3894; NGA 10920.
Digby Gut Fog Signal
1915 (light added in 1963). Active; focal plane 15 m (50 ft); continuous white light. 7 m (22 ft) post mounted at one end of a 1-story rectangular fog signal building. Fog horn (1 s blast every 15 s). Anderson has photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the entrance to Digby Gut, opposite Prim Point. Site and tower closed (surrounded by private property). Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-159; CCG 202; Admiralty H3892; NGA 10916.
Annapolis Light
Annapolis Light, Annapolis Royal, July 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo copyright C.W. Bash

Bay of Fundy Lighthouses
*** Hampton
1911. Active (privately maintained); focal plane 21 m (69 ft); continuous white light. 10 m (33 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; original 6th order Fresnel lens in use. Illsley has a good photo, Jarvis has a photo, NSLPS has a page with Josette D'Entremont's photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Since 2001 the lighthouse has been maintained and operated by the Hampton Lighthouse Society. Located on hill above the waterfront at Hampton near Bridgetown off NS 1. Site open, tower open weekends and holidays June through mid September. Owner/site manager: Hampton Lighthouse and Historical Society. ARLHS CAN-222; CCG 198; Admiralty H3918; NGA 10952.
* Port George (1?)
1888 (rebuilt in the 1930s?). Inactive since 1999. 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. Jarvis's photo is at right, Bash has a 2008 closeup, Rolf Hicker has a page for the lighthouse, Illsley has a closeup, Scott Baltjes has a good photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. This little lighthouse was moved three times early in its life before reaching its present location in the 1930s. All sources state that it is the original, but if so it must have been modified by adding its lantern and gallery. A preservation group was formed in 1997 and took ownership of the lighthouse in May 2002. The group has restored the tower and hopes to open it to the public in the future. Located at Port George Harbour off NS 362. Owner/site manager: Port George District Lighthouse Society. ARLHS CAN-406.
Port George Light
Port George Light, Port George, July 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis
* Margaretsville
1859. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white light, 10 s on, 3 s off, 4 s on, 3 s off. 7 m (22 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. Jarvis has a 2011 closeup photo, Illsley has an excellent photo, Bash has a foggy 2008 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The 150th anniversary of the lighthouse was celebrated in October 2009. In June 2013, the Margaretsville Lighthouse Society was formed to investigate how the town might take ownership of the lighthouse. Located on a promontory, across from Community Hall, off NS 362 in Margaretsville. Parking nearby. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-306; CCG 195; Admiralty H3926; NGA 10964.

Kings County Lighthouses

Note: Most of the remaining lighthouses of this page are on the Minas Basin, a long inlet at the northeastern corner of the Bay of Fundy. The basin is known for its exceptional tides -- including the highest tidal ranges in the world -- and its powerful tidal currents.
* [Black Rock (2)]
1967 (station established 1848). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two white flashes, separated by 2 s, every 10 s. 10 m (34 ft) slender fiberglass tower without lantern, painted white with two narrow horizontal red bands. Not to be confused with the Black Rock Point Light on Great Bras d'Or Lake (see the Cape Breton Island page). Ruins of the original 2-1/2 story wood lighthouse are reported to be visible here. Jarvis has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the Minas Channel near Grafton. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-042; CCG 193; Admiralty H3932; NGA 10976.
* Borden Wharf (Bordens Wharf, Canning)
1904. Inactive since the early 1930s (a decorative light has been displayed since 2004). 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. Jarvis's photo is at right, Jordan Crowe has a photo, Anderson has photos, Illsley has a closeup, Lighthouse Explorer has a recent photo by Bob Crawford, a 2007 photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. In 1959 the inactive lighthouse was sold to a local farmer, who removed the lantern and moved the building to his farm to house pigs. In 1980 it was sold and relocated a second time, this time to be used as a toolshed. In 1990 the village of Canning took over the lighthouse and fixed it up as an information center. The building has now been donated to the Fieldwood Heritage Society, which made plans to restore the lighthouse and replace the lantern. Partial funding was provided by the Kaplan Fund. In June 2003 the lighthouse was relocated once more, to its permanent home. The restoration and relighting of the lighthouse was celebrated on 4 September 2004. Located on the Habitant River in Canning, a town on the southwestern shore of the Minas Basin north of Wolfville. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Village of Canning. Site manager: Fieldwood Heritage Society. ARLHS CAN-072.
* Horton Bluff Range Front (3)
1961 (station established 1851). Active; focal plane 27 m (88 ft); continuous green light; also a white locator (passing) light, 3 s on, 5 s off. 9 m (29 ft) square pyramidal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to one corner of a 1-story fog signal building. Lighthouse painted white with a broad red vertical stripe marking the range line. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). 1-story keeper's house (1960s). The rear range light is on a skeletal tower. Jarvis has a 2011 photo, Rose Eddy has a 2010 closeup, Illsley also has a closeup, a 2007 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse burned in April 1883. Huelse has a historic postcard view of its replacement, which was demolished in 1961. Located at the end of Lighthouse Road, marking the west entrance to the Avon River near Avonport, about 7 km (4 mi) northwest of Hantsport. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-231; CCG 188; Admiralty H3968; NGA 11012.
Bordens Wharf Light
Bordens Wharf Light, Canning, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Hants County Lighthouses

East Hants Lighthouses
*** Walton Harbour
1872. Inactive since 1978. 8.5 m (28 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. Illsley has a closeup photo, NSLPS has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The Municipality of East Hants acquired the inactive lighthouse in 1991 and restored it as a historical museum. Located on the south shore of the Minas Basin at the end of Lorne Smith Road, off NS 215 in Walton. Site open, tower open daily early May to mid October (donation requested). Owner/site manager: Municipality of East Hants. ARLHS CAN-519.
*** Burntcoat Head (2) (replica)
1995 (replica of 1913 lighthouse). Station established 1859, inactive since the mid 1970s. Octagonal lantern and gallery centered on the roof of a square 2-story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, light tower and lantern red. Illsley has a good closeup photo, Jarvis has a 2009 photo, Doug Mercer has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The building houses a museum. The original lighthouse was deactivated and demolished in 1972. It was replaced by a skeletal tower, which was deactivated several years later. The replica was built in 1994 from the original blueprints. This location is famous for the world's highest tides; the record tidal range is some 16.5 m (54 ft). Located on the south shore of the Minas Basin on Burntcoat Head Loop Road, off NS 215. Site open, lighthouse and tower open daily mid May to late October (donation requested). Owner/site manager: Municipality of East Hants. ARLHS CAN-064.

Colchester County Lighthouses

Bass River
1907. Inactive since 1992. 10 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story wood residence. Doug Mercer has a good photo, Jarvis has a photo, Illsley has a photo, Anderson has photos, and Google has a satellite view. Originally this was a free-standing tower. In 1994 the lighthouse was sold, and the new owner built a summer home around three sides of the tower. Located at the end of Wharf Road at the mouth of the Bass River, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) south of the village of the same name. Site and tower closed. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-023; ex-Admiralty H4022.
** Five Islands
1913. Inactive since 1993. 10 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. Jarvis has the photo at right and a 2011 closeup, Illsley has a closeup, Claußen has photos, a 2007 sunset photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was moved back from the shore in 1952 and again in 1957 to escape rapid erosion. It was about to be lost to erosion in 1996, when it was purchased by the county and relocated a third time, a move of about 60 meters (200 ft) to the Sand Point Campground. In 2008 the campground went bankrupt and the lighthouse had to be moved a fourth time. Supporters raised $5000 and Colchester County contributed the rest of the funds needed to move the lighthouse in November 2008 to what is now Five Islands Lighthouse Park, a then-undeveloped tract donated to the county in 2005. There is now a small visitor center and gift shop. Michel Forand found the lighthouse being prepared for painting in June 2009. The 100th anniversary of the lighthouse was celebrated in July 2013. Located at the end of Broderick Lane in Five Islands, off NS 2. Site open, tower open Thursday through Monday afternoons in July and August (donation requested). Owner: Colchester County. Site manager: Five Islands Lighthouse Preservation Society. ARLHS CAN-179; ex-Admiralty H4028.
Five Islands Light
Five Islands Light, Parrsboro, May 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Cumberland County Lighthouses

Note: Cumberland County spans the isthmus connecting Nova Scotia to New Brunswick. Lighthouses on the county's northern coast are described on the Northwestern Nova Scotia page.
Minas Basin and Minas Channel Lighthouses
Parrsboro (4)
1980 (station established 1852). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); continuous green light. 6.5 m (21 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to one corner of a 1-story fog signal building. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). Lighthouse painted white; lantern is red. Illsley has a good closeup, Bash has a 2008 photo, Claußen has closeup photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Huelse has a historic postcard view of the original lighthouse, a fine octagonal wood tower. It was lost to beach erosion in 1945; a post light and then a skeletal tower occupied the site until the present tower was built. Located on Partridge Island at the entrance to Parrsboro Harbour, on the north side of the Minas Basin. At least in principle, the lighthouse is accessible by walking a lengthy breakwater from the end of Wharf Street in Parrsboro. However, it's a tough scramble over the large boulders near the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-364; CCG 172; Admiralty H3952; NGA 11044.
* Cape Sharp (2)
1973 (station established 1886). Active; focal plane 18 m (60 ft); white light, 7 s on, 3 s off. 10.5 m (35 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Fog horn (4 s blast every 60 s) in 1-story wood fog signal building. Jarvis's photo is at right, Illsley has a fine closeup, Claußen has good photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the point at the north side of the entrance to the Minas Basin west of Parrsboro. Accessible by a walk of about a mile from the end of a gravel road. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-108; CCG 171; Admiralty H3950; NGA 11004.
*** Port Greville
1908. Inactive since 1976. 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. Jarvis has a 2011 photo, Illsley has a photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Google has a good street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse originally stood on a bluff overlooking Port Greville Harbour. At first it was the front light of a range; in the 1920s, after a shift in the channel, it became the rear light of the range. In 1981, five years after deactivation, it was relocated to the grounds of the Coast Guard College in Sydney, Cape Breton Island. As a result of local efforts the lighthouse was returned to Port Greville in 1998 and now stands on the grounds of a maritime museum. Located on NS 2 about 20 km (12.5 mi) west of Parrsboro. Site open, tower open daily except Monday late May to late September. Site manager: Age of Sail Heritage Museum . ARLHS CAN-407; ex-Admiralty H3948.
*** Spencer's Island
1904. Inactive since 1987 (a decorative light has been displayed since 2006). 10 m (33 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Illsley has a closeup photo, Jarvis has a photo, Bash has a 2008 photo, Corey Hallisey has a good closeup, and Claußen has photos, and Google has a street view and a distant satellite view. The Spencers Island Community Association acquired the lighthouse in 1989 and restored it as a historical museum; it opened to the public in 1991. Further restoration was carried out in 1995-96. The Coast Guard has given permission for an unofficial light to be displayed. Located on the waterfront at Spencer's Island, on NS 209 and the north shore of the Minas Channel between Port Greville and Cape d'Or. Site open, tower open daily except Monday in July and August. Site manager: Spencer's Island Community Association. ARLHS CAN-471; ex-Admiralty H3940.
Cape Sharp Light
Cape Sharp Light, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis

Bay of Fundy and Chignecto Bay Lighthouses
** Cape D'Or (2)
1965 (fog signal station established 1875, light station established 1922). Active; focal plane 24 m (80 ft); white flash every 9 s. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted at one corner of a 1-story fog signal building. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Fog horn (three 2 s blasts every 60 s). Two 1-story keeper's houses. Jarvis's photo is at right, Illsley has a good photo, Claußen has photos, a nice view is available, Bash has a 2008 photo, and Bing has a satellite view of the station. The original lighthouse, a pepperpot tower, was relocated here from Eatonville in 1922. It was placed at the water's edge, much below the present light. The two houses, vacant after 1985, were leased and restored in 1995 by the Advocate District Development Association. One keeper's house now houses the Lightkeeper's Kitchen Restaurant and the other is available for rental. Located on the point of the cape, at the north side of the entrance to the Minas Channel about 8 km (5 mi) off NS 209. Google has a street view of a faux lighthouse at the parking lot for the light station. Site open, restaurant open for lunch and dinner daily mid May to early October. Site manager: Cumberland County (Lighthouse at Cape d'Or). ARLHS CAN-095; CCG 167; Admiralty H3938; NGA 10980.
Île Haute (2)
1956 (station established 1878). Active; focal plane 112 m (367 ft); white flash every 4 s. 12 m (40 ft) steel skeletal tower. The historic lighthouse, a square wood pyramidal tower attached to a keeper's house, burned in 1956. Illsley has photos (halfway down the page), and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the summit of the island 8 km (5 mi) off Cape Chignecto. Accessible only by boat. Visible at a distance from Cape D'Or. Site status unknown. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-241; CCG 164; Admiralty H3928; NGA 10968.
Cape D'Or Light
Cape d'Or Light, September 2011
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by Dennis Jarvis
Apple River (2)
1972 (station established 1870). Active; focal plane 21.5 m (71 ft); white light, 2 s on, 10 s off. 10.5 m (35 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower. The tower was formerly attached to one corner of a 1-story fog signal building, but that building and the lantern have been removed, leaving only the tower. Lighthouse painted white. Bash has a 2008 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Lighthouse Explorer has a painting of the original light station. Located on the north side of the river entrance and on the east side of Chignecto Bay. Site status unknown, but the light can be seen distantly from Apple River Road on the other side of the river. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-014; CCG 163; Admiralty H4032; NGA 11052.

Notable faux lighthouses:

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Advocate Harbour (1883-1964), Minas Channel, Cumberland County. ARLHS CAN-1131.
  • Amherst Basin Range Front and Rear (1906-1920s), Chignecto Bay, Cumberland County. ARLHS CAN-1379 (front) and 1380 (rear).
  • Eatonville (1909-1922), Chignecto Bay, Cumberland County. ARLHS CAN-1214.
  • Joggins (1912-?), Chignecto Bay, Cumberland County. ARLHS CAN-1234.
  • Hall's Harbour (1880-1970), Minas Basin, Kings County. ARLHS CAN-614.
  • Harbourville (about 1920-1961), western Kings County. ARLHS CAN-630.
  • Kingsport (1878-?), Canning River, Minas Basin, Kings County. ARLHS CAN-894.
  • Meteghan River (1875-?), Digby County.
  • Mitchener Point (1908-1972), Weymouth, Digby County. ARLHS CAN-323.
  • Noel (1905-1969), Minas Basin, East Hants, Hants County. ARLHS CAN-1230.
  • Parker Cove (1909-?), Bay of Fundy, Annapolis County. ARLHS CAN-1208.
  • Port Lorne (1859-?), Bay of Fundy, Annapolis County. Huelse has a different postcard view. ARLHS CAN-1210.
  • Port Wade (1909-?), Bay of Fundy, Annapolis County. ARLHS CAN-1283.
  • Portapique (1913-?), Minas Basin, Colchester County. ARLHS CAN-1212.
  • Porter Point (1904-?), Minas Basin. ARLHS CAN-896.
  • Shulie (1905-?), Chignecto Bay, Cumberland County. ARLHS CAN-1239.
  • Sissiboo (1870-1976), St. Mary's Bay, Digby County. ARLHS CAN-602.
  • Spencer Point (1863-?), Minas Basin, Colchester County. ARLHS CAN-1240.
  • Troop Point (1906-?), Annapolis Basin, Annapolis County. ARLHS CAN-1243.
  • Wolfville (1902-?), Minas Basin, Kings County. ARLHS CAN-899.

Adjoining pages: North: Northwestern Nova Scotia | South: Southern Nova Scotia | West: Southern New Brunswick

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index

Posted 2002. Checked and revised July 4, 2014. Lighthouses: 31. Site copyright 2014 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.