Lighthouses of Central Ontario (Georgian Bay Area)

Ontario has a tremendous width east to west, including the entire Canadian side of the Great Lakes. Across this vast area there were once about 250 lighthouses. More than 130 remain, a large percentage of them active. This page covers lighthouses of Georgian Bay (except for those of the Bruce Peninsula) and lighthouses of several inland lakes to the north and west of Georgian Bay. Georgian Bay is an eastern basin of Lake Huron, roughly 190 km (120 mi) long from northwest to southeast and 80 km (50 mi) wide. The southern shores of the bay are well populated and feature many popular resorts, but the northern shores are remote and rarely visited.

Aids to navigation in Canada are maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. In 2008, Parliament passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act to designate and protect historic lighthouses. In 2010, the Coast Guard declared the great majority of lighthouses to be surplus, and there is fear that this may lead to the disposal and possible destruction of many lighthouses. This fear is particularly acute in more remote areas, where the lighthouses do not enjoy the support of local preservation groups. In fact, dozens of lighthouses have already been lost in this region.

A note: this page has been greatly improved by the comments and corrections of Michel Forand. I'd also like to thank Ron Walker of the Canadian Coast Guard for answering a number of questions. (If errors remain, they are mine.)

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CCG numbers are from the Inland Waters volume of the List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. For lights near the international border, USCG numbers are from volume 7 of the U.S. Coast Guard Light List.

General Sources
Ontario Canada Lighthouses
Excellent photos plus historical and visitor information from Kraig Anderson's LighthouseFriends.com web site.
Lighthouses in Ontario, Canada
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Lighthouses of Lake Huron
Photos posted by C.W. Bash.
Lighthouses of the Great Lakes
This site, maintained by Neil Schultheiss, has excellent photos and brief but informative accounts for many of the lighthouses on both the Canadian and U.S. sides of the Lakes.
Lighthouses in Ontario
Photos available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Canadian part of Great Lakes
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Christian Island Light
Christian Island Light, Georgian Bay, March 2007
Flickr photo copyright Kelly Hughes,
just a girl with a camera; used by permission

Simcoe County (Georgian Bay South Coast) Lighthouses

Collingwood and Wasaga Beach Lighthouses
Nottawasaga Island
1858 (John Brown). Officially inactive since 2003. 28.5 m (94 ft) round limestone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-1/2 story stone keepers house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is red. Anderson has photos, Ali Brauda has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is one of the six "Imperial Towers" built by the engineer John Brown on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. Gravely endangered. In 2003, the Coast Guard announced it was abandoning this lighthouse and would not take action the next time its light failed. The outer wall of the tower was cracked badly, probably the result of lightning strikes, and a large section of the outer wall collapsed on the night of 1-2 December 2004. The Coast Guard photo at right shows this damage. Lighthouse Digest covered the story in January 2005. Fisheries and Oceans Canada allocated CA$230,000 to stabilize the lighthouse, and work was underway during the summer of 2005. A metal band was placed around the upper part of the lighthouse to guard against further collapse, the inner wall was coated and the space between the walls was sealed to prevent moisture damage. Lighthouse Digest reported on this work in February 2006. In November 2007 the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario met in Collingwood and was told that a full restoration will require replacement of the outer walls and would cost about CA$4.5 million. A preservation group, Friends of Nottawasaga Lighthouse, sought funds for restoration. As of 2009, progress was stalled by the economic recession. There was some renewed interest in the summer of 2013; a Facebook page was in operation and town council called for a staff report on what might be done to save the lighthouse. Located on a small island in the approach to Collingwood, about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of the town at the southern end of Georgian Bay. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed (bird sanctuary). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-356; CCG 845.
*** Nancy Island (replica of Collingwood Outer Range Front)
1967. Inactive. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with red trim; the lantern roof is red. Donald Gorham has a page for the lighthouse, a 2008 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Built as part of the celebration of Canada's centennial in 1967, this lighthouse is a copy of the Collingwood Outer Range Front Light (1884-1961). The replica lighthouse was refurbished and rededicated in 2008. Nancy Island is an island in the Wasaga River, which flows parallel to the beach for several miles in the town of Wasaga Beach. The island is a historic site, displaying among other attractions the remains of the schooner HMS Nancy, sunk by American forces during the War of 1812. The lighthouse was refurbished and its siding was replaced in 2008. Parking for the park is on Mosley Street at Third Street North in Wasaga Beach, and access to the park is by a pedestrian bridge. The lighthouse is on Tower Island, a small island joined to Nancy Island by a second pedestrian bridge. Site open; tower open daily during the summer season. Owner/site manager: Ontario Parks (Nancy Island Historic Site).
Nottawasaga Light
Nottawasaga Light, Collingwood, December 2004
Canadian Coast Guard photo

Georgian Bay Island Lighthouses
* Christian Island
1859 (John Brown). Active; focal plane 19.5 m (64 ft); white flash every 4 s. 18.5 m (61 ft) round limestone tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. 1-1/2 story stone keepers house in ruins. The original lantern has been replaced. A fine 2007 photo by Kelly Hughes is at the top of this page, Anderson has a page with fine photos, Mike Bingley has a sunset photo, a winter closeup is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Another of the six Imperial Towers, this was the first lighthouse built on Georgian Bay. The island, principal home of the Beausoleil First Nation, is accessible by passenger ferry from Cedar Point. Located at the end of a sharp peninsula at the southeastern tip of the island. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-136; CCG 857.5.
Hope Island (1)
1884. Inactive since the early 1990s. Approx. 11 m (35 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with gallery, painted white, attached to 1-1/2 story wood keeper's quarters. Lantern removed. The active light (focal plane 17.5 m (58 ft); white flash every 5 s) is on a 15.5 m (51 ft) square skeletal tower standing next to the historic lighthouse. Luke Hollins's photo is at right, Anderson has a page with photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse deteriorated badly after abandonment. The Huronia Lightstation Preservation Society, formed in 2001, works for its restoration in cooperation with the Beausoleil First Nation, which owns the island. In fall 2003 volunteers replaced the wood siding on the tower. In 2006, HLPS was cleared by the federal government to begin a thorough restoration of the lighthouse, and an ambitious program of work was planned for 2008. We need information on subsequent developments. Located on the northeast point of the island in southeastern Georgian Bay. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Huronia Lightstation Preservation Society (historic lighthouse) and Canadian Coast Guard (active light). ARLHS CAN-230; CCG 857.
Giant's Tomb (2)
About 1967. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 4 s. Approx. 15 m (50 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower fitted with white panels to form a large rectangular daymark. The daymark is so large, the tower has the appearance of a lighthouse from a distance. A panoramic photo is available, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. This light tower replaced an 1893 frame integral lighthouse. Located on the south point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Awenda Provincial Park. ARLHS CAN-198; CCG 859.
Hope Island Light
Hope Island Light, Georgian Bay, summer 2007
ipernity.com Creative Commons photo by Luke Hollins

Midland and Victoria Harbour Lighthouses
* Midland Point Range Front (2)
About 1913 (station established 1900). Inactive since the late 1990s. 14.5 m (48 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim and a red vertical stripe on the former range line. The lighthouse is now privately owned. Anderson has closeup photos, a 2008 view from the water is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of Midland Point Road north of Midland. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen through trees from the road. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-316.
* Midland Point Range Rear (2)
About 1913 (station established 1900). Inactive since the late 1990s. 8.5 m (28 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim and a red vertical stripe on the former range line. It is now stands in front of a bed and breakfast inn. Anderson has closeup photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of Midland Point Road north of Midland. Site open to guests and apparently to visitors, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Beacon Shore Bed and Breakfast. ARLHS CAN-317.
Victoria Harbour Range Rear
1910. Inactive since the late 1990s. 10 m (32 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim and a red vertical stripe on the former range line. Anderson has closeup photos, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The Tay Township Heritage Committee received ownership of the lighthouse in 2004; information is needed on restoration plans. Located near the intersection of William and Newton Streets in Victoria Harbour. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Tay Township. ARLHS CAN-1042.

Muskoka District Lighthouses

Beausoleil Island Area Lighthouses
Brébeuf Range Front (Brébeuf Island)
1878 (relocated to this site in 1900). Active; focal plane 12 m (40 ft); continuous white light. 11 m (36 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story wood keeper's quarters. Lighthouse painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line; lantern and gallery painted red. Anderson has photos, a view from the bay is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was relocated in 1900 from Gin Rock. The building is used by Coast Guard search and rescue students in the summer. Located on Brébeuf Island, a small island in the approaches to Waubaushene and Victoria Harbour. Accessible only by boat; visible distantly from the Georgian Trail on Beausoleil Island in the Georgian Bay Islands National Park. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-058; CCG 864.
* Brébeuf Range Rear (Beausoleil Island) (2)
1915 (station established 1900). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); continuous white light. 27 m (88 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with enclosed lantern and watch room. Lighthouse painted white with red trim and a red vertical stripe on the range line. Anderson has a photo, a 2008 photo is available, the lighthouse in the background of the first and third of Marinas.com's aerial photos of the front light, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the west side of the island, accessible by hiking trails. Beausoleil Island is a wilderness island accessible by passenger ferry from Honey Harbour. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Georgian Bay Islands National Park. ARLHS CAN-1027; CCG 865.

Lake Muskoka Lighthouse
Note: The Muskoka Lakes are located about 20 km (13 mi) east of Georgian Bay. There is no navigable connection to Georgian Bay, but the two largest lakes, Lake Muskoka and Lake Rosseau, are connected by a lock at Port Carling. The area is a popular vacation destination.
Gravenhurst Narrows (Lighthouse Island) (3)
Date uncertain (station established 1884). Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); continuous red light. 8 m (27 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern roof painted red. Brian Ridgway's photo is at right, Anderson has photos, Chuan Chee has another good closeup photo, Paul Peggie has a view from the lake, and Google has a dark satellite view. Located on an island on the west side of the Lighthouse Narrows at the entrance to Gravenhurst harbor, at the south end of Lake Muskoka. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1031; CCG 1378.
Gravenhurst Narrows Light
Gravenhurst Narrows Light, Gravenhurst, October 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Brian Ridgway

Parry Sound District Lighthouses

Lake Rosseau Lighthouse
Rosseau (Lighthouse Shoal)
1890. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); white flash every 4 s. 11 m (35 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with square lantern. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Anderson has photos, Ed Boutilier has a distant view, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view.In 2013, members of the Lake Rosseau North Association agreed to raise funds for a restoration of the lighthouse, with Seguin Township agreeing to maintain it; the township has applied for ownership of the lighthouse under HLPA. Located on a shoal just south of Rosseau at the northern end of Lake Rosseau. Accessible only by boat or over the ice in the winter. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-858; CCG 1404.

Parry Sound Area Lighthouses
Note: Parry Sound is a complex but roughly circular bay connected to Georgian Bay by a narrow channel. The town of Parry Sound, located at the head of the sound, is the seat of the Parry Sound District and is easily the largest town of the east coast of Georgian Bay.
Western Islands
1895. Active; focal plane 22.5 m (74 ft); white flash every 10 s. 15 m (50 ft) octagonal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Brian Ceci has a closeup photo, a Coast Guard photo is at right, Anderson has photos, Ron Walker has contributed additional photos, and Google has a very distant satellite view. Located on Double Top Island, a small, rocky island south of Parry Sound. Accessible only by boat, and landing on the island is dangerous. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-498; CCG 902.
Jones Island Range Front
1894. Active; focal plane 13 m (42 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 11 m (37 ft) square wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red face on the range line. Ron Walker has contributed a photo, and Anderson has photos, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the area. Located on an islet, one of the Gordon Rocks, in the entrance to Parry Sound. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1033; CCG 917.
Jones Island Range Rear
1894. Active; focal plane 18.5 m (61 ft); continuous white light visible only on the range line. 15.5 m (51 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on the roof of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; the tower has a red face on the range line. Anderson has photos, Ron Walker has contributed a photo, Schultheiss has a photo by Greg Gowing, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an island in Parry Sound, 2.6 km (1.6 mi) southeast of the front light. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-257; CCG 918.
Spruce Island Shoal (Spruce Rock)
1908. Inactive since 1949. 10 m (33 ft) two-stage tower: a 5 m (17 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery is mounted atop a 5 m (17 ft) octagonal pyramidal white concrete tower; all mounted on an octagonal stone and concrete pier. John Lawrence has a good photo, another photo shows ospreys nesting atop the old tower, a distant view is available, and Google has a satellite view. The light was replaced by a buoy. Located on the southernmost shoal of the Spruce Rocks, a hazard in the channel connecting Parry Sound to Georgian Bay. Accessible only by boat. Site open if the ospreys are not nesting, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-473; CCG 920.
[Cape Robert (lantern)]
1885. Inactive since the 1950s. Octagonal lantern from the demolished lighthouse at Cape Robert, Manitoulin Island (see the West Central Ontario page), mounted on a 1-story octagonal guardhouse at the Parry Sound Coast Guard base. Guardhouse painted white with red trim, lantern red. Anderson has a good photo, Ron Walker has contributed a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard.

Western Islands Light, Georgian Bay
Canadian Coast Guard photo
Snug Harbour Range Rear
1894. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); continuous green light. 14 m (45 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, centered on the roof of a 2-story wood keeper's house. The active light is a locomotive style lamp mounted in front of the lantern. Lighthouse painted white; front side of tower painted red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. Anderson has photos, Schultheiss has a good photo by Greg Gowing, Michael and Mundy Levy have a 2008 photo, another photo is available, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. Located on an island off Snug Harbour and southeast of Stalker Island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-463; CCG 910.
Red Rock (3)
1911 (station established 1870). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 7 s. 13 m (43 ft) elliptical cylindrical concrete tower incorporating 2-story keeper's quarters, mounted on a concrete foundation. A helipad has been built above the lantern. Lighthouse itself painted white; lantern, helipad, and caisson are red. Schultheiss has a closeup photo of this unusual lighthouse, Anderson has good photos, and Marinas.com has aerial photos, but the light is barely visible in Google's satellite view. The original lighthouse was destroyed by a storm in 1881. Located atop a rocky islet off Snug Harbour in the entrance to Parry Sound. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-429; CCG 906.

Pointe au Baril and Byng Inlet Lighthouses
*** Pointe au Baril Range Front
1889. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); continuous red light visible only on the range line. Approx. 11 m (35 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story frame keeper's quarters. Lighthouse painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Rosemary Tiffin's photo is at right, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a satellite view. Before the lighthouse was built, a barrel on a pole was used as an aid to navigation; this gave the point its name. Now a replica barrel marks the spot. The lighthouse is open for tours during the summer and has a gift shop and bakery, all operated by the last keeper and her husband. Located on the point, off ON 69 about 65 km (40 mi) north of Parry Sound. Although it is possible to reach the lighthouse by land, most visitors arrive by boat. Site open; lighthouse and tower open daily early June to Labor Day. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Pointe au Baril Lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-393; CCG 942.
Pointe au Baril Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (88 ft); continuous red light visible only on the range line. Approx. 23 m (75 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with enclosed lantern, gallery, and watch room. Lighthouse painted white with red trim and a red vertical stripe on the range line. Anderson has photos, but the light has not been found in Google's satellite view. Located on Macklin Island about 1.5 km (0.9 mi) east of the front range lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-1040; CCG 943.
Gereaux Island (2)
1880 (station established 1870). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); white light, 7 s on, 3 s off. Approx. 14 m (45 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story wood keeper's quarters. Lighthouse painted white with red trim; lantern is red. A 2006 closeup photo shows the lighthouse to be in good condition, and Lighthouse Explorer has a historic photo contributed by Michel Forand, but Google has only a very fuzzy satellite view of the island. The adjacent 1-story crew quarters building is used by Coast Guard search and rescue students in the summer. Located on a small island south of the entrance to Byng Inlet. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-197; CCG 954.
Pointe au Baril Light
Pointe au Baril Range Front Light, Pointe au Baril, October 2006
Wikipedia public domain photo by Rosemary Tiffin
Byng Inlet Range Front (2)
1936 (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 11.5 m (38 ft); continuous red light visible only on or close to the range line. 10 m (34 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white, with an orange daymark. Anderson has closeup photos, and Ron Walker has contributed a photo, but Google's satellite view is much too coarse to show the light. Byng Inlet is an estuary, the widened lower course of the Magnetawan River. Located on the south side of the channel inside the entrance of Byng Inlet. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-066; CCG 957.
Byng Inlet Range Rear (2)
1936 (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 19.5 m (64 ft); continuous red light visible only on or close to the range line. 18 m (60 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with enclosed lantern, gallery, and watch room, painted white, with an orange daymark. Anderson has good photos, and Ron Walker has contributed a photo, but Google has only a very fuzzy satellite view of the area. Located on the south side of the channel inside the entrance of Byng Inlet. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-552; CCG 958.

Magnetawan Lighthouse
* Cecebe Lake (replica)
Late 1990s replica of 1905 lighthouse. Inactive. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. The municipality of Magnetawan has posted a photo (last photo in the third row), and Google has a distant satellite view. Lighthouse Explorer has a historic image of the original lighthouse contributed by Michel Forand, and a historic photo (second photo on the page) is also available. The replica is built close to shore and can be viewed from hiking trails that start at the historical museum near the Cecebe Lake dam in Magnetawan. The town is about 100 km (60 mi) northeast of Parry Sound off ON 124 and 40 km (25 mi) west of Burks Falls on route 520. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: unknown.

French River Lighthouses
Bustard Rocks
1893. Active; focal plane 14.5 m (48 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, paint white with red trim; lantern is red. This lighthouse previously carried the rear range lights for both eastbound and westbound ranges. Both ranges have been discontinued and a general-purpose light installed. A photo is at right, Anderson has good photos, a photo of all three Bustard Rocks lights is available, and Ron Walker has contributed a photo, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the reef. Located on a small rocky island west of the main Bustard Island, on the approaches to the French River. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-065; CCG 966.
Bustard Rocks Eastbound Range Front
1875. Inactive. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Anderson has photos, a photo of all three Bustard Rocks lights is available, and Ron Walker has contributed a photo, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the reef Located on a small rocky island west of the main Bustard Island, on the approaches to the French River. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard.
Bustard Rocks Westbound Range Front
1875. Inactive. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. The light is in the background of the photo at right, Anderson has photos, a photo of all three Bustard Rocks lights is available, and Ron Walker has contributed a photo, but Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the reef. Located on a small rocky island west of the main Bustard Island, on the approaches to the French River. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard.
Bustard Rocks Light
Coast Guard maintenance team at Bustard Rocks Light, Georgian Bay, July 2011
Panoramio Creative Commons photo by ger_999

Lake Nipissing Lighthouse
Note: Lake Nipissing is a large but shallow lake, 65 km (40 mi) long and as much as 25 km (15 mi) wide. The lake is roughly 80 km (50 mi) northwest of Georgian Bay, to which it drains via the French River.
Southeast Bay (Range Front)
1877. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); sector light, showing white in the preferred direction, red or green to the sides, all lights occulting every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower. Lighthouse painted white with a red vertical stripe on the former range line. Lighthouse Explorer has a historic photo contributed by Michel Forand, and Google has an indistinct satellite view. The range was discontinued in the 1990s and the front light was converted to a sector light. Located on the southeastern shore of Lake Nipissing west of Callander. Accessible only by boat; dinner cruises on the lake pass the lighthouse mid June through early September. Site and tower closed (surrounded by private property). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-829; CCG 1424.

Sudbury District Lighthouses

Killarney Lighthouses
* Killarney East (Red Rock Point) (2)
1909 (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 9 m (30 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. User-activated fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). Anderson has photos, Brook Tyler has a September 2009 photo, a good 2006 closeup is available, Augustin Werner has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of Ontario Street at the east end of Killarney, adjacent to Killarney Provincial Park; the Friends of Killarney Park help maintain the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-262; CCG 976.
Killarney Northwest (Killarney West End, Partridge Island) (2)
1909 (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 12 m (40 ft); white flash every 4 s. 9 m (29 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. E. Green's photo is at right, Anderson has photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Partridge Island about a mile northwest of Killarney, marking the west entrance to the harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-263; CCG 978.

Killarney Northwest Light, Killarney, March 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by E. Green

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

  • Barrie Yacht Club (1940s?), Lake Simcoe. This lighthouse is probably active, but it is not listed as an aid to navigation.
  • Parry Sound (2008) has a new privately-built lighthouse; it displays a decorative light but is not listed as an aid to navigation.

Adjoining page: West: West Central Ontario (Lake Huron)

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted December 16, 2003. Checked and revised December 28, 2013. Lighthouses: 31. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.