Lighthouses of Canada: Eastern Prince Edward Island

Prince Edward Island, smallest of the ten Canadian provinces, is located in the southern part of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, separated from the mainland by the Northumberland Strait. The island is readily accessible by the Confederation Bridge from Cape Jourimain, New Brunswick or by car ferry from Caribou, Nova Scotia. This page lists lighthouses of the eastern portion of the island, and there's another page for Western Prince Edward Island.

The Prince Edward Island Lighthouse Society works for the preservation of the island's light stations.

Special thanks to Kelly Ann Loughery for sharing her extensive knowledge of Prince Edward Island lighthouses and her large collection of photos.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights; CCG numbers are from the Canadian Coast Guard's Atlantic list; Admiralty numbers are from Volume H of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals; and U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 110, Atlantic Coast of the Americas. Unless noted otherwise, all active lights are owned and operated by the Canadian Coast Guard.

General Sources
Prince Edward Island Lighthouse Society
The Society's web site also includes a large photo gallery.
Prince Edward Island Lighthouses
Directions and access information posted by the provincial goverment as part of its InfoPEI site.
Prince Edward Island Lighthouses
Photos and information posted by Kraig Anderson.
Lighthouses of Prince Edward Island, Beacons of Light
Small photos and good historical accounts from VirtualMuseum.ca.
Lighthouses of Prince Edward Island, Canada
Photos by Bob and Sandra Shanklin.
Seldom-Seen Lighthouses of Prince Edward Island
Photos contributed by Kelly Anne Loughery.
Lighthouses of Prince Edward Island
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
World of Lighthouses - Prince Edward Island
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Lighthouses in Prince Edward Island, Canada
Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Leuchttürme Kanadas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

East Point Light, Souris, August 2013
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Stephen Downes

Queens County North Coast Lighthouses

Cape Tryon (1) (relocated)
1905. Inactive since 1969. Approx. 11 m (36 ft); lantern and gallery mounted at one end of a 2-story wood keeper's house. Building painted white with red trim; lantern painted red. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, Kelly Anne Loughery has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. The original Cape Tryon lighthouse has been relocated twice since it was deactivated in 1969. Nicely restored, it is in use as a private residence. Located at Cousins Shore about 4 km (2.5 mi) west of the cape. The surrounding land is private but Kelly Anne Loughery reports that the lighthouse can be viewed by parking at the end of Cousins Shore Road and walking a short distance up Lighthouse Road. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-771.
Cape Tryon (2)
1969. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); white light, 2 s on, 4 s off. 12 m (39 ft) square pyramidal shingled tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern roof is red. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Alan Culley has a 2007 photo, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse is endangered by erosion of the cliff on which it stands; its situation can be seen in aerial photos from Marinas.com. Located on a farm atop a cliff north of French River; accessible by a private dirt road. In July 2014 the landowner closed the road to vehicles, but visitors are welcome to walk the 1 km (0.6 mi) to the lighthouse as long as they respect private property. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-113; CCG 1061; Admiralty H1129; NGA 7948.
* New London (Range Rear) (Yankee Hill)
1876. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 12 m (40 ft) square pyramidal shingled tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one half of a 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with red trim; vertical red stripe marks the range line. A 2007 closeup is available, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. There was a pair of small range lights here in 1874. The range was discontinued in 2006, when the front range light was removed. The lighthouse is leased as a private residence, and the occupants have applied for ownership. Located at the eastern end of the Cape Road north of French River, marking the west side of the entrance to Rustico Harbour. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-341; CCG 1060; Admiralty H1130.1; NGA 7960.
* North Rustico Harbour (2)
1899 (station established 1876). Reactivated (inactive 1973-76); focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); yellow light, 5 s on, 5 s off. 10 m (34 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one half of a 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white wth dark red trim; lantern is bright red. Another excellent photo is available, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Wikimedia has Dylan Kereluk's photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. A very well maintained little lighthouse. The light was moved to a skeletal tower in 1973, but in response to local protests the Coast Guard returned it to the lighthouse in 1976. The Friends of North Shore Communities has applied for ownership; the intention is to renovate the building for overnight accommodations. Located off PE 6 in the center of the town of North Rustico. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: North Rustico Lighthouse . ARLHS CAN-350; CCG 1056; Admiralty H1141; NGA 7972.

New London Range Rear Light, Kensington, August 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Robert Hiscock
* Covehead Harbour (Cape Stanhope) (2)
1976 (station established 1967). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 5 s. 8 m (27 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and galleryr, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Fresnel lens in use. Fog horn (maintained by local harbor authority, blast every 30 s). Lighthouse Explorer has Terry D'Entremont's photo, another fine photo is available, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The siding on the lighthouse was replaced in 1994. A preservation group, Friends of Covehead Lighthouse, plans to apply for ownership. Located on the cape north of Stanhope marking the entrance to Covehead Bay. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Parks Canada (Prince Edward Island National Park). ARLHS CAN-150; CCG 1051; Admiralty H1150; NGA 7996.

Kings County Lighthouses

North Coast Lighthouses
* St. Peters Harbour (2)
1881 (station established 1865). Inactive since the spring of 2008. Approx. 8 m (27 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is black. Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse marks the entrance to St. Peter's Bay. A local group has applied for ownership. Located at the end of a dirt road at the west side of the entrance to St. Peters Bay. Anderson says that the last section of the road is generally impassable, but one can walk the rest of the way. Kelly Ann Loughery reports that the best access is by parking at the end of St. Peters Harbour Road and walking east on the beach about 1 km (2/3 mi) to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-479; CCG 1044; Admiralty H1164; NGA 8032.
* [Shipwreck Point (Naufrage) (1)]
1913. Inactive since 1968. 2-story square wood keeper's house, painted white. Lantern removed. The Lighthouse Society has current and historic photos, Kelly Anne Loughery has a photo, the Shanklins have posted a 1915 photo as well as a recent photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The house has been in use as a private residence; it was sold in 2013 and the new owners have indicated they want to renovate it as a vacation cottage. Located a short distance east of the current lighthouse. Site and tower closed (private property) but the lighthouse can be seen from a short distance away behind the Shipwreck Point Café. Owner/site manager: private.
* Shipwreck Point (Naufrage) (2)
1968 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 25.5 m (84 ft); white light, 3 s on, 2 s off. 13.5 m (44 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. Julio Garciah's photo is at right, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Doug Leitch has a wintertime closeup, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. "Naufrage" is the French word for "shipwreck." A local group has applied for ownership of the lighthouse. Located off PE 16 at Naufrage Harbour. Site and tower closed (private property) but the lighthouse can be seen from a short distance away behind the Shipwreck Point Café. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-459; CCG 1042. Admiralty H1168; NGA 8036.

East Point (Souris Area) Lighthouses
**** East Point
1867. Active; focal plane 30.5 m (100 ft); white flash every 5 s. 19.5 m (64 ft) octagonal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. The former fog signal building is now used as a visitor center and gift shop; a modern dwelling (1965) is staffed by the Coast Guard. Stephen Downes's photo is at the top of this page, Anderson's page has good photos, Douglas Sprott has a good photo, Corey Balazowich also has a good photo, Jenn Calder has a 2010 closeup, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a closeup street view and a distant satellite view. One of the island's most popular tourist attractions. The lighthouse was relocated closer to the water in 1885, and then returned to its original site in 1908 when threatened by erosion. Erosion is a continuing problem, and in the spring of 2008 the fog signal/visitor center building was relocated next to the tower to escape the waves. In 2010, DFO transferred ownership of the station to Friends of Elmira, a local preservation group. In August, the group and the provincial government also completed at $250,000 program of improvements to the site, including enlarged visitor facilities. Located at the easternmost point of the island off PE 16 northeast of Souris. Accessible by paved road. Site open; tower open to guided tours from mid June to the end of August. Owner/site manager: Friends of Elmira, Inc. ARLHS CAN-165; CCG 943; Admiralty H0920; NGA 8072.
Shipwreck Point Light
Shipwreck Point Light, Souris, August 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Julio Garciah
*** Souris East
1880. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 14 m (46 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. 1-story fog signal building. Po Wang Chow has a 2011 closeup photo, Lisa Cancade Hackett has a nice view of the station, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a distant street view and a satellite view. In 2009-10 the Souris Harbour Authority took ownership and restored the lighthouse, aided by a $50,000 grant from the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency. The lighthouse opened to the public in July 2010 as an interpretive center and gift shop; the original 4th order Fresnel lens is on display. Located on Knight Point in Souris. Site open, tower open daily June through October. Owner/site manager: Souris Harbour Authority. Site manager: Souris Historic Lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-465; CCG 947; Admiralty H0922; NGA 8084.

Annandale Lighthouses
* Annandale Range Front (2)
1990 (station established 1898). Active; focal plane 10 m (32 ft); quick-flashing white light. 5 m (17 ft) square pyramidal shingled tower, painted white with a red vertical stripe. No lantern: the light is displayed through a small opening near the top of the tower. Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's closeup photo, another closeup photo is available, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. No one has applied for ownership of this lighthouse. Located off PE 310 on Banks Point at Annandale Harbour. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-011; CCG 949; Admiralty H0928; NGA 8092.
Annandale Range Rear (2)
1901 (station established 1898). Active; focal plane 23 m (76 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 20 m (66 ft) square pyramidal shingled tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe. The lighthouse is in the left background of the photo at right, Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's closeup photo, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, a 2011 photo is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the second-tallest lighthouse on the island. It stands nearly a mile northwest of the front range tower and is endangered by beach erosion. Originally it was a skeletal tower, but it was enclosed in 1905. The St Peter's Development Corporation has applied for ownership of the lighthouse. Located off PE 310 on Juniper Point at Annandale Harbour. Site and tower closed (private property), but the light can be seen from a distance of about 400 m (1/4 mi). Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-012; CCG 950; Admiralty H0928.1; NGA 8096.
Old Annandale Front Light
Old Annandale Range Front Light, Montague
(note current Range Rear Light in left background)

photo copyright Kelly Anne Loughery; used by permission
Annandale Range Front (1) (relocated)
1898. Inactive since 1990. 5 m (17 ft) square pyramidal shingled tower, painted white with a red vertical stripe. No lantern: the light was displayed through a small opening near the top of the tower. Kelly Anne Loughery's photo is at right, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The lighthouse was sold and relocated in 1991 to private property a short distance west of the current rear range light; it can be seen in Marinas.com aerial photos. Located off PE 310 on Juniper Point at Annandale Harbour. Site and tower closed (private property), but the light can be seen from a distance of about 400 m (1/4 mi). Owner/site manager: private.

Georgetown Area Lighthouses
* Cardigan River (Range Rear) (relocated)
1883. Inactive since the early 1980s. 10 m (33 ft) square wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. The Shanklins also have photos, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. The lighthouse became the rear light of the Cardigan River Range in 1926. In 1967, a directional light was installed and the front light was discontinued. After all lights were discontinued in the early 1980s, the lighthouse was purchased by Paul and Rosemary Batchilder and moved about 300 m (1000 ft) west to its present location in a summer cottage development. The present owner is their daughter Melissa. Located at the end of Morrison's Beach Road north of Georgetown. Owner: private. Owner: private. Site manager: Four Seasons Cottages. ARLHS CAN-1254; ex-Admiralty H0946.
* Georgetown (Wightman's Point, St. Andrews Point) Range Rear (2)
1890 (station established 1877). Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); continuous white light, visible only on the range line. 13 m (43 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. No one applied for ownership of this lighthouse. Located on Wightmans Point Road in Lower Montague. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-196; CCG 956; Admiralty H0936.1; NGA 8116.
* Georgetown (Wightman's Point, St. Andrews Point) Range Front (1) (relocated)
1868. Inactive since 1969. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) square wood lantern and gallery centered on the roof of a square 1-story wood keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white with red trim. Kelly Anne Loughery has contributed the photo at right, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, and Google has a satellite view. After deactivation, the lighthouse was relocated as a private residence. As the photo shows, it has been altered somewhat from its original appearance. Located on Wightman's Point (St. Andrews Point) on St. Andrews Point Road on the south side of the entrance to Cardigan Bay. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse can be seen from nearby. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1388.
* [Georgetown (Wightman's Point, St. Andrews Point) Range Front (2)]
1969 (station established 1868). Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); continuous white light, visible only on the range line. 7.5 m (25 ft) cylindrical fiberglass tower, painted red with a white horizontal band; no lantern. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, and Google has a distant satellite view. There are many lights of this style in Canada, but this is the only one in Prince Edward Island. Located on a very sharp point of land projecting into the mouth of the Cardigan River estuary at Lower Montague, near Georgetown. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-195; CCG 955; Admiralty H0936; NGA 8112.
Georgetown Range Front Right
1868 Georgetown Range Front Light
photo copyright Kelly Anne Loughery
used by permission

Panmure Island Lighthouse
*** Panmure Head (Panmure Island)
1853. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 4 s. 18.5 m (61 ft) octagonal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern is red. Fog signal building (1908) and modern dwelling (1958) used as a private residence. Jimmy Emerson's photo is at right, Lighthouse Explorer has Alan Culley's photo, Bill MacKinnon has a fine closeup, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view of the station. This is the island's oldest wood lighthouse. In 2011 the Panmure Island Lighthouse Association was formed to work for the preservation of the lighthouse; the association has applied for ownership. Located on PE 347 on Panmure Island at the southwest entrance to Cardigan Bay; accessible by paved road over a causeway. Site open; tower open daily in July and August and by arrangement in June and September. Owner: Canadian Coast Guard. Site manager: Panmure Island Provincial Park. ARLHS CAN-363; CCG 953; Admiralty H0932; NGA 8108.

Murray River Lighthouses
* Douse Point Range Front
1898. Inactive since 1984. 5 m (16 ft) square pyramidal wood tower; the light was shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white. Anderson has a page for the lighthouse, the Lighthouse Society has a page and a photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Endangered by lack of maintenance. Originally located on Douse Point, on the east side of the entrance to Orwell River from Hillsborough Bay. The two range lights were sold and relocated to private property in Murray River, about 20 km (13 mi) southeast of the original location. Site and tower closed, but the lighthouse stands beside Gladstone Road and can be viewed without trespassing. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1255; ex-Admiralty H0888.
Douse Point Range Rear
1898. Inactive since 1984. 7 m (23 ft) square pyramidal wood tower; the light was shown through a square window. Lighthouse painted white. Anderson has a page for the lighthouse, the Lighthouse Society has a page and a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Endangered by lack of maintenance. Originally located on Douse Point, on the east side of the entrance to Orwell River from Hillsborough Bay. The two range lights were sold and relocated to private property in Murray River, about 20 km (13 mi) southeast of the original location. This lighthouse is farther from Gladstone Road than the front light and may not be visible from the highway. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1256; ex-Admiralty H0888.1.
Panmure Head Light
Panmure Head Light, Panmure Island, July 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Jimmy Emerson

Cape Bear and Murray Harbour Area Lighthouses
Murray Harbour Range Rear (2)
1879 (station established 1869). Active; focal plane 17.5 m (58 ft); continuous red light, visible only on the range line. 14 m (45 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red lantern and a vertical red stripe marking the range line. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has a satellite view. A local group has applied for ownership of the lighthouse. Located about 1.5 km (almost a mile) southwest of the front range light, in a field on private property. Best viewed from the Beach Point Wharf in Murray Harbour. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-329; CCG 965; Admiralty H0954.1; NGA 8144.
* Murray Harbour Range Front (Murray Head, Beach Point) (2)
1879 (station established 1869). Reactivated (inactive 2010-11); focal plane 6.5 m (21 ft); continuous red light, visible only on the range line. 6 m (20 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern, painted white with red trim and a vertical red stripe marking the range line. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, a view from the water is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. In December 2010, a powerful storm swept this highly-exposed little lighthouse off its foundation and into the water. The Coast Guard retrieved the tower and left it lying on its side on the beach. Residents formed the Beach Point Lighthouse Society and petitioned for its restoration. Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea directed the Coast Guard to restore the light, and with the help of a crane it was mounted on a new foundation on 27 July 2011. The Society has applied for ownership of the light. Located at Beach Point in Murray Harbor, off PE 18. Site open (accessible at low tide, but the approach over sand is underwater at high tide); tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-328; CCG 964; Admiralty H0954; NGA 8140.
** Cape Bear
1881. Inactive since 2011. 12 m (40 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern is red. The attached 1-story wood annex is a replica (1999) of the Marconi Radio Station that operated here from 1905 to 1922; the original radio station was relocated to Guernsey Cove as a private residence. The annex houses a museum. C.M. Hanchey's photo is at right, Lorraine Rainey has an excellent closeup, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and the lighthouse is at the edge of a Bing satellite view. The lighthouse is gravely endangered by beach erosion. Since 2009 the Northumberland Community Development Corporation has negotiated with DFO and the Coast Guard to take ownership of the lighthouse and move it from the exposed cape. In May 2011 the light was moved from the lighthouse to a small skeletal tower nearby. In 2013 the lighthouse was closed due to the erosion threat, and 48 hectares (119 acres) of land was purchased as a new home for the lighthouse. Just before Christmas 2014 the lighthouse was moved 30 m (100 ft) to escape imminent danger of collapse; in April 2015 it was moved another 400 m (1300 ft) to its new location. Located at the southeasternmost point of the island, off PE 18. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Northumberland Development Corporation. Site manager: Cape Bear Lighthouse and Marconi Station Museum . ARLHS CAN-092; CCG 971; Admiralty H0950; NGA 8156.
Cape Bear Light
Cape Bear Light, Murray Harbour, August 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.M. Hanchey

Queens County South Coast Lighthouses

Wood Islands Lighthouses
**** Wood Islands
1876. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white light, 5 s on, 5 s off. 16 m (52 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house. Building painted white with red trim; lantern and keeper's house roof are red. The keeper's house is used as a crafts shop and visitor center. C.M. Hanchey's photo is at right, Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, Scott Baltjes has a good closeup, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, and Bing has a satellite view. On 10 March 2008 the lighthouse was relocated 70 m (230 ft) inland to avoid beach erosion. Located adjacent to the ferry terminal at Wood Island, at the end of Wood Islands Park Road. Site open, tower open to guided tours early June through late September. Owner: Wood Islands Area Development Corporation. Site manager: Wood Islands Lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-535; CCG 976; Admiralty H0962; NGA 8164.
* Wood Islands Harbour Range Front
1902. Inactive since 2007. 6 m (19 ft) square cylindrical wood tower with lantern, rising from a 1-story square wood utility building. Lighthouse painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line; roofs are dark red. Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, C.M. Hanchey has a photo, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Formerly located at the end of the east breakwater of the harbor. The range was discontinued in 2007, and in 2013 the lighthouse was relocated to a position close to the Wood Islands Lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Wood Islands Area Development Corporation. Site manager: Wood Islands Lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-536; CCG 973; Admiralty H0964; NGA 8168.
Wood Islands Light
Wood Islands Light, August 2007
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.M. Hanchey
* Wood Islands Harbour Range Rear
1902. Inactive since 2007. 10 m (32 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim and a red vertical stripe on the range line. Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, Shane MacClure has a photo showing both range lighthouses, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, and Bing has a satellite view. Formerly located on the east breakwater of the harbor about 150 m (500 ft) north of the front range light. The range was discontinued in 2007, and in 2013 the lighthouse was relocated to a position close to the Wood Islands Lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Wood Islands Area Development Corporation. Site manager: Wood Islands Lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-537; CCG 974; Admiralty H0964.1; NGA 8172.

Point Prim Lighthouse
**** Point Prim
1846 (Isaac Smith). Active; focal plane 21 m (68 ft); white flash every 5 s.18 m (60 ft) brick tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim; lantern and gallery painted red. Jimmy Emerson's photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page for the lighthouse, Lighthouse Explorer has Alan Culley's photo, another excellent closeup photo is available, the Lighthouse Society has a page and many photos, Marinas.com has fine aerial photos, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the oldest lighthouse on the island and one of only two round brick lighthouses in Canada. The keeper's house has been demolished, but a restaurant and craft shop have been built nearby. The lighthouse is endangered by beach erosion. In 2010, the Coast Guard announced that it would repair the seawall, expand parking, and make other site improvements before turning Point Prim Lighthouse over to the Belfast Community Development Corporation. Located at the end of PE 209 at the eastern entrance to Charlottetown Harbour. Site open, tower open to guided tours mid June through mid September. The tower stairs are very steep. Owner: Belfast Community Development Corporation. Site manager: Point Prim Lighthouse. ARLHS CAN-809; CCG 983; Admiralty H0982; NGA 8192.

Charlottetown Area Lighthouses
Brush Wharf Range Front
1879. Inactive since around 1950. 5 m (16 ft) square pyramidal wood tower; the light was shown through a square window. Anderson has a page with photos, and the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, but surrounding brush hides the lighthouse in Google's street view and satellite view. Critically endangered by lack of maintenance; according to the Society "mildew is visible on the walls, and no glass remains in the windows." Originally located on the wharf, close to the Douse Point Range Lights, the lighthouse has been relocated and stands behind a private residence. Located off Orwell Cove Road near the intersection of Brush Wharf Road, south of Vernon River. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-1252.
Haszard Point Range Front
1889. Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); continuous yellow light visible only on the range line. 14 m (47 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. The lantern and front face of the tower are painted red with a black vertical stripe on the range line. The other sides of the tower are painted white. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. The lighthouse was relocated to escape beach erosion in 1902 and 1936, and it will probably need to be moved again. An application for ownership has been filed. Located at the end of Lighthouse Lane, off PE 1A in Tea Hill, on the east side of the entrance to Charlottetown's harbor. Site and tower closed; the tower is on private property. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-128; CCG 991; Admiralty H1006; NGA 8228.
Point Prim Light
Point Prim Light, Belfast, July 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Jimmy Emerson
Haszard Point Range Rear
1889. Active; focal plane 46 m (152 ft); continuous yellow light visible only on the range line. 12 m (37 ft) tapered square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. The lantern and front face of the tower are painted red, with a black vertical stripe on the range line. The other sides of the tower are painted white. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The Town of Stratford has applied for ownership of the lighthouse. Located at the end of Bellevue Road, off PE 1A between Cross Roads and Tea Hill. Site and tower closed; the tower is on private property. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-129; CCG 992; Admiralty H1006.1; NGA 8232.
* Brighton Beach Range Front
1890. Active; focal plane 12 m (36 ft); continuous yellow light visible in a narrow arc including the range line. 11.5 m (35 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line; lantern painted red. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's photo, Charles Kyriazos has a photo of the lighthouse in action at dusk, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse was repaired after being damaged by a storm in 2000. In November 2009, Charlottetown City Council rejected a Coast Guard plan for renovations, because the work would have altered the appearance of the lighthouse. The work was postponed, allowing for further negotiations. In January 2012, city council voted to assume ownership of the lighthouse, and in July the Council awarded a contract for $146,700 in repairs to the lighthouse. The formal transfer of ownership took place in September 2013. Located at the water's edge in Charlottetown near Queen Elizabeth Drive and York Lane. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: City of Charlottetown. ARLHS CAN-126; CCG 994; Admiralty H1012; NGA 8240.
* Brighton Beach Range Rear (4)
1969 (station established 1890). Active; focal plane 26.5 m (87 ft); continuous yellow light visible in a narrow arc including the range line. 18 m (60 ft) hexagonal concrete tower flaring outward at the top to support the gallery. Lighthouse is white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has a closeup photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original light, on a skeletal tower, was blown over by a gale in 1900. Anderson has a historic photo of the second light, which was destroyed by fire in 1930. The modern lighthouse is not included in the divestiture program. In April 2015 there was an uproar at plans to mount a cellphone tower on the lighthouse. Located on Queen Elizabeth Drive north of Viceroy Avenue in Charlottetown. The tower is on private property but it can be viewed at close range from the street. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-127; CCG 995; Admiralty H1012.1; NGA 8244.
* Warren Cove (Warren Farm) Range Front
1907. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous yellow light visible only on the range line. 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with flared gallery and square lantern. Tower painted white with red trim and a red vertical stripe on the range line; lantern painted red. Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's photo, Larry Myhre has a photo of both range lights, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is an outbound range for vessels leaving Charlottetown; the lighthouse has been moved several times to accommodate changes in the channel. In 2008, the Coast Guard replaced the siding on both range lights and made other renovations that changed somewhat the historic appearance of the lighthouse. A community group has submitted a petition to assume ownership under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program. Located on the west side of Charlottetown harbor. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Port La Joye/Fort Amherst National Historic Site. ARLHS CAN-130; CCG 996; Admiralty H1016; NGA 8248.
* Warren Cove (Warren Farm) Range Rear
1907. Active; focal plane 23 m (76 ft); continuous yellow light visible only on the range line. 7.5 m (25 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with flared gallery and square lantern. Tower painted white with red trim and a red vertical stripe on the range line; lantern painted red. Kelly Anne Loughery's photo is at right, Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's photo, Larry Myhre has a photo of both range lights, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. In 2008, the Coast Guard replaced the siding on both range lights. A community group has submitted a petition to assume ownership under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program. Located on the west side of Charlottetown harbor. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Port La Joye/Fort Amherst National Historic Site. ARLHS CAN-131; CCG 997; Admiralty H1016.1; NGA 8252.
* Blockhouse Point (3)
1876 (station established 1846). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white light occulting every 4 s. 12 m (40 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, attached at one corner of a 2-story wood keeper's house. Buildings painted white with red trim; lantern and gallery painted red. Larry Myhre's photo is at right, Lighthouse Explorer has Michel Forand's photo, Dan R. Snyder has a 2007 photo, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. This is the second oldest light station on the island. In 2012 the Friends of the Blockhouse Lighthouse was formed to work for preservation of the lighthouse; a business plan has been submitted but as of early 2015 there had been no response from the government. Located off PE 19 on the west side of Charlottetown harbor. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-046; CCG 993; Admiralty H1008; NGA 8236.
Blockhouse Point Light
Blockhouse Point Light, Charlottetown, May 2004
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Larry Myhre
St. Peter's Island (4?)
1990 (?) (station established 1866). Active; focal plane 21 m (68 ft); white flash every 4 s. 11.5 m (38 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. David Lowther has a photo, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com also has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. This is a landfall light for Charlottetown for vessels approaching from the west. Nothing is known about the form of the first light. The second (1881) lighthouse was originally built at the western end of St. Peter's Island; the lighthouse was moved in 1884 to somewhere near the present location. The light was moved in 1964 to the top of an ugly metal cylinder painted with red and white horizontal bands; VirtualMuseum.ca has photos of both lights. We need better information on this station. Anderson says the light was returned to the original tower, which seems very unlikely; the Lighthouse Society says it was placed in "a tower similar to the original." The Society is not clear as to whether this occurred "in the 1980s" or in 1990. The foundation pad of the metal light tower remains. A community group has applied for ownership of the lighthouse. Located on the southeast side of the island, in the western entrance to Charlottetown Harbour about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) east southeast of Rice Point. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-481; CCG 1007; Admiralty H0996; NGA 8216.

Victoria Lighthouses
* Victoria Harbour (Leards Range Front/Palmer Range Rear) (2)
1879 (station established 1873). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 4 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with flared gallery and square lantern. Tower painted white with red trim; lantern painted red. The tower also carries a triangular board with a red vertical daymark on the Palmer range line. Jimmy Emerson's photo is at right, Alan Culley has an excellent 2007 photo, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This lighthouse formerly carryed two lights, the Leards Range Front Light (inactive since 2011) and the Palmer Range Rear Light (inactive since 2010). The range daymarks seen in older photos have been removed. The two range lights were replaced by a single general purpose light. Ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the Village of Victoria in 2012. Located near the wharf at Victoria, close to Victoria Provincial Park. Site open, tower open daily during the summer (no stairs, but visitors are allowed to climb the ladder to the lantern). Owner: Village of Victoria. Site manager: Victoria Seaport Lighthouse Museum. ARLHS CAN-512 (=1321); CCG 1008.1, Admiralty H1028; NGA 8264.
Leards Range Rear
1879. Inactive since 2011. 14 m (45 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery, painted whit; lantern roof painted red. The tower formerly had a red vertical stripe on the range line, but the stripe was removed after the range was discontinued. Alan Culley has a 2007 photo, the Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located east of Nelson Street about 800 m (1/2 mi) northwest of the front range light. The lighthouse is on private property, but it can be seen from Nelson Street. The Victoria Seaport Lighthouse Museum has applied for ownership of the lighthouse. Owner/site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. ARLHS CAN-513; CCG 1009; Admiralty H1028.1; NGA 8268.
Wrights Range Front (2)
1903 (station established 1894). Active; focal plane 7 m (24 ft); quick-flashing red light. 3.5 m (12 ft) square tower, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. No lantern; the light is displayed through a square opening. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. The Victoria Seaport Lighthouse Museum has applied for ownership of the lighthouse. This tiny lighthouse is located on private property on a bluff overlooking Victoria; it is visible from the waterfront. Site and tower closed. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-516; CCG 1010; Admiralty H1032; NGA 8272.
Wrights Range Rear
1894. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); red light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (32 ft) square pyramidal wood tower with square lantern and gallery, painted white with a red vertical stripe on the range line. The Lighthouse Society has a page and photos, Lighthouse Explorer has Carol Livingstone's photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, and Google has a satellite view. The Victoria Seaport Lighthouse Museum has applied for ownership of the lighthouse. Located in the yard of a privately-owned cottage at the end of Beach Light Road, about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of the front range light. Site and tower closed. Site manager: private. ARLHS CAN-517; CCG 1011; Admiralty H1032.1; NGA 8276.
Leards Range Front Light
Leards Range Front Light, Victoria, July 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Jimmy Emerson

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Belle Creek (1913-1936), south coast. There is no longer a light at this location. ARLHS CAN-1251.
  • Brush Point Range Rear (1879-1947), Hillsborough Bay, south coast. The lighthouse was destroyed by fire in 1947, and the range was discontinued. The front light survives in private ownership (see above). ARLHS CAN-1253.
  • Cardigan River Range Front (1926-1967), Georgetown, east coast. The range has been replaced by buoys. ARLHS CAN-1254.
  • Souris East Breakwater Light (1889-1971?), Souris, east coast. Anderson has a photo of the 1907 lighthouse and a photo of the present light on the breakwater. ARLHS CAN-464; CCG 948; Admiralty H0924; NGA 8088.
  • St. Peter's Harbour Range Front and Rear (1888-?), St. Peter's, north coast. Anderson's page for St. Peter's Harbour discusses these lights and has historic photos. The harbor entrance is now marked by buoys. ARLHS CAN-479 (front) and 480 (rear).
  • Tracadie Range Rear (1876-1920s), Tracadie Bay, north coast. A historic photo is available. The range has been replaced by buoys. ARLHS CAN-504.

Notable faux lighthouses:

  • #Quatermaster Marina (?-?), Charlottetown. This lighthouse has been demolished to make way for waterfront redevelopment. It may have been active, but there's no evidence it was ever an official aid to navigation.

Adjoining pages: South: Northwestern Nova Scotia | West: Western Prince Edward Island

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index

Posted December 2002. Checked and revised February 11, 2015. Lighthouses: 38. Site copyright 2015 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.