Faro di Tripoli, Libya, 1926

Thanks to Silvestro Bruschi and Maria Grazia Bruschi for this rare photo of the third lighthouse of Tripoli, Libya. The lighthouse was designed and built by Ms. Bruschi's grandfather Aldo Bruschi, Director of the Maritime Section of the Tripolitania Public Works. Construction began on 27 May 1924, and was completed on 9 January 1926. Sadly, this is one of the many lighthouses that did not survive World War II. It was demolished in 1943.

Faro di Tripoli 1926

Photo courtesy of Silvestro Bruschi, sent by Maria Grazia Bruschi; used by permission

Return to the Libya directory page | Return to the Lighthouse Directory index

Posted December 3, 2008. Checked and revised November 24, 2013. Site copyright 2013 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.